Does Pi prove the bible wrong?

Posted By: Windmill

Does Pi prove the bible wrong? - 05/14/05 05:55 AM

My maths teacher brought up a point, and I didn't have an answer. The bible says something about pi being 3, I think it is somewhere in 1 kings, and pie is defiantly NOT 3. Its like, 3.14 or something rounded. He said this proves the bible wrong.... its a good point, pi isn't 3, so why would God say that? I will try and find the verse.
Posted By: Cheri Fritz

Re: Does Pi prove the bible wrong? - 05/14/05 04:06 PM

Greetings Windmill,

I have never heard of this question before. Though it is rather interesting and actually when doing a bit of research I found this one site to have some interesting conclusions on this issue.
If you would like to visit where I was,
please, click here

And you will also find a couple of verses on this subject.

Your Sister in Christ Jesus,
Cheri Fritz
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Does Pi prove the bible wrong? - 05/15/05 05:21 AM

A very interesting question, and a very interesting response, with a very interesting link included. [Smile]
Posted By: Tom

Re: Does Pi prove the bible wrong? - 05/15/05 06:58 AM

To the nearest unit, pi *is* 3. To the nearest tenth it is 3.14. You have to round it off somewhere, so why not to the nearest unit?
Posted By: Windmill

Re: Does Pi prove the bible wrong? - 05/15/05 11:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Cheri Fritz:
Greetings Windmill,

I have never heard of this question before. Though it is rather interesting and actually when doing a bit of research I found this one site to have some interesting conclusions on this issue.
If you would like to visit where I was,
please, click here

And you will also find a couple of verses on this subject.

Cheri Fritz

thank you SO MUCH. I am printing this off, and announcing the answer in maths tommorow. That'll teach our maths teacher to poke fun at the bible! [Wink]

Re: Does Pi prove the bible wrong? - 05/15/05 01:09 PM

Greetings Windmill,

I am glad it was helpful for you.

Our prayers are with you,
Cheri Fritz
Posted By: Stephanie Suranyi

Re: Does Pi prove the bible wrong? - 05/16/05 06:03 AM

Ok, Windmill,
This may seem funny, but it is serious as well, so bear with me.

Now, people use those verses to "prove" the Bible wrong, right? Now, couldn't we also turn that around and say that the Bible proves that pi is wrong?

For that matter, how about we look at the measurement of a "cubit." Now, from my understanding, a cubit is the length of a person's forearm, right? Now, who's forearm would we use? Mine? Yours? The maths teacher's? Now, for a little humor, did you know that your forearm is the same length as your foot? It's true, check it out for yourself if you don't believe me. I got that from a movie...Pretty Woman.... I wouldn't recommend the movie tho. [Big Grin]

Now, speaking of feet, how do we know that the current measurements we have are accurate? How do we know an inch is an inch? A foot is a foot? Because my sister measured her foot and it is only 8 inches long. So, how can it be a foot? See, my point is this. People try to trip us up in many ways. As long as we know the truth and hold fast to God, that is what matters.

As far as the measurement of a cubit is concerned, how long is it supposed to be? I mean if we use just anyone's forearm, my sister's cubit would be 8 inches while mine would be 9 maybe 10 inches (because my feet are a little bigger than hers) Do you see what I'm getting at? And for men, it is the same thing. Some men have bigger feet/longer arms than others.

Anyway, as I said in another thread, pi is an evil number that shouldn't be used anyway! [Wink]

Re: Does Pi prove the bible wrong? - 05/15/05 07:19 PM

Greetings Stephanie,

Just wanted to let you know that as my eldest son and I were reading what you posted, and you brought such delightful smiles on our faces.

Thank you for sharing you bit of knowledge with us Sister!

Your sister in Christ Jesus,
Cheri Fritz
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: Does Pi prove the bible wrong? - 05/15/05 08:37 PM

This problem over the length of a foot is why you all ought to just do as the rest of the world and start measuring in meters and grams [Razz]

/Thomas
Posted By: Redfog

Re: Does Pi prove the bible wrong? - 05/15/05 08:54 PM

I agree that the English system of measuring is outdated. The metric system is much better however it will never catch on here in the US as long as we continue to teach it the way we do.

Pi is the same of course no mater if you are useing feet, cubits or glompers to measure with.

Pie, now I'm hungry.

Redfog
Posted By: Ikan

Re: Does Pi prove the bible wrong? - 05/16/05 07:34 AM

Weeellll Thomas. Let's give Americans a break about measurements.
I think when Sweden gives up the Swedish mile (a Swedish unit of length equivalent to 10 km), Yanks will give up the cup and the foot, etc.
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: Does Pi prove the bible wrong? - 05/16/05 10:50 AM

Ah come on Phil. As you said the "swedish mile" is squarely in the metric system. Whats next? Hope your not going to suggest everyone start saying one thousand grams instead of the much shorter one kilo. [Razz]

/Thomas
Posted By: Will

Re: Does Pi prove the bible wrong? - 05/16/05 05:36 PM

1 kilo=2.2lbs [Big Grin]
Posted By: Stephanie Suranyi

Re: Does Pi prove the bible wrong? - 05/16/05 08:25 PM

I think you missed my point, Thomas. I wasn't saying it just about a foot or any of the other English units. The same could be said about the metric system. How did the first person KNOW it was a gram? milligram? meter? millimeter? And the cubit....how did we figure out how long a cubit is? I mean, Noah was to build the ark so many cubits high, etc. I'm guessing he used his arm as the basis for the measurement. So, if a cubit was the length of Noah's forearm back then, and then someone else had to build something else using the cubit measurement, how did they do it? They didn't have Noah's bone to measure against, so they had to use their own arms. So, the measurememt would actually change as time went on......Where can I find out how this was all figured out? Now I am confused as well..... See what happens when I think about math stuff? My brain hurts! [Razz]
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church