Tithe - the use of

Posted By: Charity

Tithe - the use of - 11/11/08 05:22 AM

Is there a thread on this topic somewhere? I couldn't find one using the search function.

Cheri, my wife, and I looked up tithe in the Bible. We're wondering about what uses are appropriate. Maybe someone has a compilation from Sister White on the topic.
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: Tithe - the use of - 11/11/08 07:37 AM

Mark,

I haven't done this study before, per se, but here is a link that will probably help you:

Mrs. White on the Use of Tithe

Blessings,

Green Cochoa
Posted By: Charity

Re: Tithe - the use of - 11/13/08 04:39 AM

Thank you for that. We had a look. smile
Posted By: gordonb1

Re: Tithe - the use of - 11/13/08 10:55 AM

Hi Mark,

From memory, the tithe is to support the minister of the Word. This could be a man, woman, teacher, Bible worker, layman, as long as they were engaged in teaching the Word. I fully believe the tithe is for the promulgation of the Holy Scriptures alone.

Though many booklets have been written over the decades, I've yet to read one, or even hear one sermon that properly addresses this issue. A little ironic given the many pulpit lectures geared to the tenth and systematic benevolence.

EGW sources abound, but the truth rests in the storehouse and its identification. The Bible is our great treasure house. When any person has Gods' Word in his heart and the unction to devote a part or all of their life to its promotion, they are worthy of tithe support, irrespective of worldly qualification (e.g. A.T. Jones was a mule skinner) or denominational recognition.

The only criteria is that they are teaching the Word unmingled with error. This would disqualify many laity and many licensed ministers. There are no lies in God's storehouse. Ideally a Bible teacher is born again with a burning love (agape) for souls, but few seem yet ready to die (to self or for their neighbour) for the gospel's sake.

Tithing remains a confused issue for many Christians, a real crisis considering we're in the close of the Antitypical Day of Atonement. I recall EGW stating that among the faithful Hebrews no less than one third of their income was devoted to sacred and religious purposes, comprising of course both tithes and offerings. And how many would expect an income tax receipt?

Gordon
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Tithe - the use of - 11/14/08 08:41 PM

Yeah, it's pretty clear in the Bible and the SOP that 10% of our increase goes to support pastors. Whether or not we are required to pay it through the local conference is debatable. I, for one, am comfortable paying it to a pastor or ministry directly.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church