HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Luke 22:32 #182976
03/27/17 12:23 AM
03/27/17 12:23 AM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Here Jesus is talking to Peter.

Quote:
But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

The word translated as "prayed" as per Strong's is pretty interesting.

Quote:
[*StrongsGreek*]
1189 deomai deh'-om-ahee middle voice of 1210; to beg (as binding oneself), i.e. petition:--beseech, pray (to), make request. Compare 4441. see GREEK for 1210 see GREEK for 4441

Jesus said that he begged, as in binding Himself, so that Peter's faith might not fail. This kind of intrigued me as I had never understood to "beg" something of someone as somehow being something that is somehow binding on the person doing the asking.

I found, in one of the multiple online dictionary applications I have installed on my laptop the following definition of beg.

Quote:
Usage: To ask (not in the sense of inquiring) is the generic
term which embraces all these words. To request is
only a polite mode of asking. To beg, in its original
sense, was to ask with earnestness, and implied
submission, or at least deference.
At present,
however, in polite life, beg has dropped its original
meaning, and has taken the place of both ask and
request, on the ground of its expressing more of
deference and respect. Thus, we beg a person's
acceptance of a present; we beg him to favor us with
his company; a tradesman begs to announce the arrival
of new goods, etc. Crabb remarks that, according to
present usage, "we can never talk of asking a person's
acceptance of a thing, or of asking him to do us a
favor." This can be more truly said of usage in
England than in America.
[1913 Webster]

This definition comes from the The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48. It makes a lot clearer, to me, the "binding oneself" part of begging.

Don't know if anyone else will be interested in it, but I was.

Re: Luke 22:32 [Re: ] #183038
03/31/17 02:02 AM
03/31/17 02:02 AM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
There is something in this verse that I think is the key to answered prayer. In the words Jesus used in speaking to Peter we see why His prayers were always answered. It is that His prayers were always said with the attitude of "binding Himself" to His Father through submission to His Father's will. He always deferred to His Father so His Father always did what He asked, for what He asked was always in agreement with His Father's will for Jesus bound Himself to it at all times and in all ways.

Re: Luke 22:32 [Re: ] #183040
03/31/17 04:41 AM
03/31/17 04:41 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Interesting thought!

Yes, Jesus prayers were answered for He fully bound Himself to the Father's will. He is our example on how to live the Christian life!
When praying in accord with Christ's will our prayers, too, will be answered.

On another line of thought -- it is interesting how the word #1189 "deomai" is used in other texts.

Translated as pray (12x), beseech or besought (9x), make request (1x).

Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray G1189 always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

That text is very meaningful when coupled with the concept of binding ourselves to Christ's will.

Also Acts 4:31 "And when they had prayed, G1189 the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness."

But what about these texts?

Luke 8:28 has the demons talking:
"When he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him, and with a loud voice said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God most high? I beseech G1189 thee, torment me not.

Is this demon binding himself?

Re: Luke 22:32 [Re: dedication] #183046
03/31/17 10:03 AM
03/31/17 10:03 AM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted By: dedication
Interesting thought!

Yes, Jesus prayers were answered for He fully bound Himself to the Father's will. He is our example on how to live the Christian life!

On another line of thought -- it is interesting how the word #1189 "deomai" is used in other texts.

Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray G1189 always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

That text is very meaningful when coupled with the concept of binding ourselves to Christ's will.

Also Acts 4:31 "And when they had prayed, G1189 the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness."

"When he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him, and with a loud voice said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God most high? I beseech G1189 thee, torment me not.

In a certain sense he is. He is submitting, no matter how unwillingly, to the power of God, in that he knows he must leave the demoniac. He is just looking for a way in which he thinks he can cause further mischief to the cause of God. God used that desire to cause further mischief to further His own cause though for it drew the attention of everyone in the area to Jesus, and when He came back to the area later He was received gladly and openly.

The idea of submission is still there. It is just done very unwillingly whereas Jesus' submission to His Father's will was done without reservation and done willingly. His was a positive submission. The devil's submission was in a negative sense.

Re: Luke 22:32 [Re: dedication] #183047
03/31/17 10:15 AM
03/31/17 10:15 AM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted By: dedication
Interesting thought!

It is interesting to note, on what I bolded above, that Ellen White tells us that the honor of all three members of the Godhead is at stake in the removal of sin from our lives. So, when we pray for God to remove sin from us we can know without a single doubt that we are praying in accordance with the will of God for us.

It is our unbelief that shackles us to sin, not the lack of power on God's part. We often just plain old doubt the power of God to remove sin from who we are. The fruit of the Spirit is against NO law, so if we have the fruit of the Spirit in our lives we will be keeping God's law. No doubt about it. It is just really difficult for us to visualize because the only paradigm we have ever known is that of sin.

Re: Luke 22:32 [Re: ] #183066
04/01/17 09:12 PM
04/01/17 09:12 PM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Quote:
”Verily, verily, I say unto you," Christ continued, ”He that believeth on Me, the works that I do shall he do also." The Saviour was deeply anxious for His disciples to understand for what purpose His divinity was united to humanity. He came to the world to display the glory of God, that man might be uplifted by its restoring power. God was manifested in Him that He might be manifested in them. Jesus revealed no qualities, and exercised no powers, that men may not have through faith in Him. His perfect humanity is that which all His followers may possess, if they will be in subjection to God as He was.

Especially notice the last two sentences of this paragraph from Desire of Ages p. 665. Jesus had no qualities and exercised no power that we cannot have if we will be in submission to the Father as Jesus was.

So why are we not like Jesus? Why do we sin? Why do we not have the same spiritual power He did? Because we do not fully surrender self like Jesus did.

Re: Luke 22:32 [Re: ] #183235
04/11/17 12:54 AM
04/11/17 12:54 AM
T
The Wanderer  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2022

Central Alberta
Originally Posted By: Gary K
There is something in this verse that I think is the key to answered prayer. In the words Jesus used in speaking to Peter we see why His prayers were always answered. It is that His prayers were always said with the attitude of "binding Himself" to His Father through submission to His Father's will. He always deferred to His Father so His Father always did what He asked, for what He asked was always in agreement with His Father's will for Jesus bound Himself to it at all times and in all ways.
I have often wondered certain things about prayer, and this quote has served to remind me of some of that. i have reached the conclusion there is no such thing as "unanswered prayer." As in opposed to "answered prayer." All sincere prayer is answered. Sometimes the answer is silence. Sometimes, it is no. Sometimes it is yes. other times it is maybe; and yet, other times, the answer may depend upon certain conditions/goals being met first. Does that make sense?

As humans, we would have difficulty, always 'asking for God's will" in prayer, because we do not always see the issue as God does. I believe Jesus, in His humanity, reflected this well when He prayed: Father, let this cup be taken..." Jesus must have known, atleast in his divinity, that that was not going to be God's will?

All this just makes me conclude that even if we dont quite get the wording or the ideas right, when we pray; He listens. And He answers.

Last edited by The Wanderer; 04/11/17 12:54 AM.

"The worst foes of my spiritual life have never been hostile circumstance."

"There is always a little bit of light" (Micah 7:8)
https://www.lightintheclouds.net/word

Sincerely, IN Christ; and THROUGH The Spirit

- The Wanderer
Re: Luke 22:32 [Re: ] #183236
04/11/17 12:58 AM
04/11/17 12:58 AM
T
The Wanderer  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2022

Central Alberta
Originally Posted By: Gary K
Here Jesus is talking to Peter.

Quote:
But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

The word translated as "prayed" as per Strong's is pretty interesting.

This definition comes from the The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48. It makes a lot clearer, to me, the "binding oneself" part of begging.

Don't know if anyone else will be interested in it, but I was.
I agree. This is a very interesting point to examine. May I ask, what made you think of this?

"The worst foes of my spiritual life have never been hostile circumstance."

"There is always a little bit of light" (Micah 7:8)
https://www.lightintheclouds.net/word

Sincerely, IN Christ; and THROUGH The Spirit

- The Wanderer

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!