HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
God of the dead? #130730
02/09/11 03:00 PM
02/09/11 03:00 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
I was following the bible reading at church when I noticed a difference in meaning in what was read, versus what I saw in my bible, the KJV. Speaking of marriage at the Resurrection in Mark 12, see the subtle change as Jesus was talking about the 'living' who have been resurrected not the 'dead rising' on their own, compare KJV versus NIV:

KJV
24And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?
25For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven.
26And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?
27He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err.

NIV
24 Jesus replied, “Are you not in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God? 25 When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 26 Now about the dead rising—have you not read in the Book of Moses, in the account of the burning bush, how God said to him, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’[d]? 27 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living. You are badly mistaken!”

The twist is at verse 25 which in NIV says 'When the dead rise,' which leaves it open and can be the dead floating around on their own, so the dead rising on their own then seems to be included when you continue on verse 26 'Now about the dead rising—'

If you look at KJV it says 'WHEN they shall rise FROM the dead' so it clearly points to the ressurection when they are back with the LIVING not when people are dead....

The KJV is clear then in verse 26'And as touching the dead, that they rise: '
He is referring to the false belief of the dead that they rise, and in this he meant on their own, so thus the point he is making makes sense:
"...have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?
27He is not the God of the dead,..."

He is not the God of the dead, people do not rise at death but at the resurrection and thats what he was pointing to.......its very subtle....

What are your thoughts......?

Last edited by Richard; 02/09/11 03:16 PM.
Re: God of the dead? [Re: Rick H] #130752
02/10/11 06:46 PM
02/10/11 06:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Not sure I see what you're seeing. Jesus is confirming the resurrection.

Re: God of the dead? [Re: Mountain Man] #130821
02/12/11 08:57 PM
02/12/11 08:57 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Jesus is answering a question on the dead which by this time the Jews had pick up the pagan idea that the dead rise and float around as spirits or ghosts. In KJV you can see the question 26"And as touching the dead, that they rise:" in other words on the the question of the dead the answers is that God is the God of the living. So it makes it clear that the dead are raised to be living beings, at the ressurection. It does not leave the door open as NIV does, to the false belief of immortality of the soul, with is subtle shift to a statement ....26 "Now about the dead rising." So it makes it seem to say the God of the 'dead that rise' so you can believe in ghosts, spirits of the dead which look over their friends and family, souls that rise like with the Witch of Endor bring up what looked like Samuel for Saul to seek counsel with.

Last edited by Rick H; 02/12/11 09:01 PM.
Re: God of the dead? [Re: Rick H] #130954
02/16/11 05:07 PM
02/16/11 05:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Oh, I see what you mean. But don't people also believe the spirits of the dead have risen and are, therefore, alive? If the dead have not yet risen and remain dead in the grave, wouldn't that mean God is the God of the dead?

Re: God of the dead? [Re: Mountain Man] #131070
02/19/11 02:07 PM
02/19/11 02:07 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
No, that was Christs point. What I get is that to God, you are sleeping and HE can raise you to life, you never die a eternal death when in Gods hand... He looks at it much like when you are not conscious as when you sleep, as Christ describe about Lazarus. But if you believe in the pagan belief of immortality of the soul YOU basically raise yourself after you die and float around as a spirit, God is not a part of it.

Re: God of the dead? [Re: Rick H] #131109
02/21/11 12:41 AM
02/21/11 12:41 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
It seems to me that Luke’s more expansive quoting of Christ on this statement here in Luke 20:38, probably out of Luke’s repeatedly demonstrated concern to make things clear and plain for his pointed reader, the Most Excellent Theophilus (probably a non-Christian Roman Official), resolves this issue as he includes: “for all live to Him”. That is a conclusion that many present from Christ’s opposers admitted was the truth (vs. 39).

So apparently here, ‘God is God of the living’ because He refers to the dead as if they were alive. However, as seen with Moses and certain resurrected OT saints at Christ’s resurrection, (which are probably the 24 elders in Heaven), and as there is ‘no knowledge of God in the grave’, God still need to resurrect these dead in order to have communications and companionship with them.

This is thus all much like us speaking of someone who has died in the present tense. Nothing to those past experiences can be added to now, but those past deeds, statements and experiences are mentioned and thought of with enduring expressions and considerations today. Indeed as seen in Luke narrative, that explanation by Jesus was made to explain why God had said to Moses at the Burning Bush that ‘He was the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, although these had been dead for then ca. 400+ years.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: God of the dead? [Re: NJK Project] #131161
02/23/11 12:17 AM
02/23/11 12:17 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
John 3:36 weighs in heavily on this topic.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: God of the dead? [Re: Rick H] #131353
03/02/11 04:39 PM
03/02/11 04:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rick H
M: Oh, I see what you mean. But don't people also believe the spirits of the dead have risen and are, therefore, alive? If the dead have not yet risen and remain dead in the grave, wouldn't that mean God is the God of the dead?

R: No, that was Christs point. What I get is that to God, you are sleeping and HE can raise you to life, you never die a eternal death when in Gods hand... He looks at it much like when you are not conscious as when you sleep, as Christ describe about Lazarus. But if you believe in the pagan belief of immortality of the soul YOU basically raise yourself after you die and float around as a spirit, God is not a part of it.

Interesting way of looking at it. Wonder how they would respond to it? Doubt they think they raise themselves.

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!