Burman University Christmas Program

Posted By: Daryl

Burman University Christmas Program - 11/29/15 07:10 AM

Posted By: James Peterson

Re: Burman University Christmas Program - 11/30/15 06:54 AM

The performers were not happy, except the narrator. Maybe they thought Christmas was a solemn occasion. That's not nice.

///
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Burman University Christmas Program - 12/07/15 12:57 AM

Seems that I will need to watch some of that video again.
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: Burman University Christmas Program - 12/09/15 10:22 AM

I clicked on it hoping to see some Burmese but was sadly disappointed and confused. I then looked up the place online trying to figure out where in the world this was--only to discover it was in Canada. And it was Adventist. And then, the biggest surprise of all...it was in Lacombe, Alberta--the former CUC! I agree that Canadian University College was a poor name choice, but Burman University? I'm not sure it's any better. I think most people would expect it to be somewhere over here in my neck of the woods.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: JAK

Re: Burman University Christmas Program - 12/09/15 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
...but Burman University? I'm not sure it's any better.

How is "Burman University" any different than "Andrews University," or "Griggs University,"...?
Charles and Leona Burman were instrumental in establishing the university in 1907. So it's really a natural choice.

Re: Burman University Christmas Program - 12/10/15 07:04 AM

There is no country named "Andrews" nor is there one named "Griggs," so there can be no confusion with either of those. I suspect neither Charles nor Leona Burman is aware of the present name of the college, whatever name it is given. For that matter, that would apply to Andrews and to Griggs as well. And Mrs. White, who would have some words to say about "White Memorial Hospital" in Los Angeles being named after her when she had opposed it.

In 1907, there was a country called Burma that most would have known about. That country still exists, and most people where I live still call it Burma, despite the fact that its ruling junta changed it for political reasons to Myanmar. I've never heard of "Myanmarese" people. We still say "Burmese" to this day. There is also the "Burmese" language, and no such language as "Myanmarese."

College boards should look not merely at honoring the dead, but at honoring the Living. I do not mean at all to disrespect the Burmans, but really, how does naming the university after them help either them or the students who graduate under a university so-named?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: APL

Re: Burman University Christmas Program - 12/10/15 07:44 AM

Originally Posted By: green
There is no country named "Andrews" nor is there one named "Griggs,"
There is no country named "Burman".
I clicked on it hoping to see some Burmese but was sadly disappointed and confused.
Did not fit your preconceived ideas? Reading the Bible that way can also lead to confusion.
I think most people would expect it to be somewhere over here in my neck of the woods.
I have a good friend who is Burmese. I'll have to ask her what she thinks.
And Mrs. White, who would have some words to say about "White Memorial Hospital" in Los Angeles being named after her when she had opposed it.
Interesting. Do you have a reference for this, I'd like to know it.

Re: Burman University Christmas Program - 12/10/15 08:29 AM

Originally Posted By: APL
There is no country named "Burman".

There is no country named "American" nor "Canadian" either. So why not have Spicer College renamed to one of those. smile (After all, wouldn't it be less "spicy" that way?) laugh.

As for the "tribute" to Mrs. White that she would have hotly contested, here are a few quotes to help you know from where I speak.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
In August, 1901 while attending the Los Angeles camp meeting, I was, in the visions of the night, in a council meeting. The question under consideration was the establishment of a sanitarium in Southern California. By some it was urged that this sanitarium should be built in the city of Los Angeles, and the objections to establishing it out of the city were pointed out. Others spoke of the advantages of a country location. {CH 166.1}
There was among us One who presented this matter very clearly and with the utmost simplicity. He told us that it would be a mistake to establish a sanitarium within the city limits. A sanitarium should have the advantage of plenty of land, so that the invalids can work in the open air. For nervous, gloomy, feeble patients, outdoor work is invaluable. Let them have flower beds to care for. In the use of rake and hoe and spade, they will find relief for many of their maladies. Idleness is the cause of many diseases. {CH 166.2}

Even in Southern California not many years ago, there were some who favored the erection of a large sanitarium building in the heart of Los Angeles. In the light of the instruction God had given, we could not consent to the carrying out of any such plan. In the visions of the night the Lord had shown me unoccupied properties in the country, suitable for sanitarium purposes, and for sale at a price far below the original cost. {CH 231.3}

One of Authority Counsels Regarding Locating a Sanitarium.--In the night season I was in a council meeting where the brethren were discussing the matter of the sanitarium in Los Angeles. One of the brethren presented the advantages of establishing the sanitarium in the city of Los Angeles. Then One of Authority arose and presented the matter with clearness and force.-- Letter 40, 1902. {3SM 45.1}
Contrasting Scenes; Illustrating Missionary Fervor. --I seemed to be in a large gathering. One of authority was addressing the company, before whom was spread out a map of the world. He said that the map pictured God's vineyard, which must be cultivated. As light from heaven shone upon anyone, that one was to reflect the light to others. Lights were to be kindled in many places, and from these lights still other lights were to be kindled. . . . {3SM 45.2}
I saw jets of light shining from cities and villages, and from the high places and the low places of the earth. God's word was obeyed, and as a result there were memorials for Him in every city and village. His truth was proclaimed throughout the world. {3SM 45.3}
Then this map was removed and another put in its place. On it light was shining from a few places only. The rest of the world was in darkness, with only a glimmer of light here and there. Our Instructor said: "This darkness is the result of men's following their own course. They have cherished hereditary and cultivated tendencies to evil. They have made questioning and faultfinding and accusing the chief business of their lives. Their hearts are not right with God. They have hidden their light under a bushel."--Testimonies, vol. 9, pp. 28, 29. {3SM 45.4}

Notice to Whom the memorials are to be made in the last quote there as well.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: APL

Re: Burman University Christmas Program - 12/10/15 09:12 AM

As for the "tribute" to Mrs. White that she would have hotly contested, here are a few quotes to help you know from where I speak.
So you are not debating the name, you are debating the location!

Walla Walla University was founded in 1892, of course it was called Walla Walla College back then. Are you saying that WWU is not a memorial to God? Are you proposing that we change the name of Burman University to Lacombe University?

Seems must ado about nothing.
Posted By: JAK

Re: Burman University Christmas Program - 12/11/15 01:15 AM

APL, I appreciate the input.

Even a cursory glance at the people in the video when you click on it shows that it has nothing to do with the country of "Burma" or "Myanmar," so if GC insists on defending his brain-fart (or whatever) I, for one, just find it too damn stupid to waste time on.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church