Our Own Canadian Radio Station - VOAR

Posted By: Daryl

Our Own Canadian Radio Station - VOAR - 03/28/02 06:40 AM

Mount Pearl , NEWFOUNDLAND. Adventist radio station VOAR recently received approval from the Canadian Radio-Television Commission (CRTC) for 12 new broadcast licenses.

"This is setting a precedent in Canada for Christian broadcasting. VOAR will be the first Christian radio station to operate a large network of transmitter sites, covering such a vast amount of territory," says Nicole Batten, communications director. "Christian broadcasting has had a slow start in Canada compared to the United States, which has over 250 Christian radio stations alone. In Canada, we have only 18 - there are more than that in one state in the U.S. The CRTC has made it very difficult for Christian organizations to obtain broadcast licenses in Canada," says Batten.

VOAR is Canada’s only Adventist radio station, as well as the oldest Christian station of any denomination in Canada. Now VOAR is expanding Adventist radio to cover the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador coast to coast, with plans to expand into other areas of Canada.

Newfoundland and Labrador is the last remaining mission field in North America. Newfoundland has only 700 members of the Adventist Church and Labrador has no church presence at all. VOAR hopes to change that by spreading the gospel via the airwaves, says station manager Sherry Griffin. The 12 new transmitters should be in operation by October 2002.

For more information, contact the project coordinator Nicole Batten by phone at (709) 745-8627 or by email at nbatten@voar.org.

1041 Topsail Road, Mount Pearl, Newfoundland A1N 5E9 Canada
Phone (709) 745-8627 | Fax (709) 745-1600 | Email nbatten@voar.org
Listen live at www.voar.org

[ March 27, 2002: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Posted By: Andrew Marttinen

Re: Our Own Canadian Radio Station - VOAR - 04/06/02 12:39 AM

I visited the web site. It would be great if we could hear it in Ontario. There are many Christian radio stations in the US that we can get but their formats, music and speakers are really bizarre. At least the Voice of Prophecy is heard on them in its half-hour island of sanity.

When I was up in central Manitoba, someone in The Pas hooked up to the Moody Bible Radio channel. Since it was so far up north and the signal was so weak and the area so remote, CRTC didn't bother with them.

Posted By: Faith

Re: Our Own Canadian Radio Station - VOAR - 01/11/03 01:33 AM

I'm listening to VOAR for the first time in my own home. VOAR just started broadcasting on Thursday in central Newfoundland. The projected date of December 1 was delayed because of weather and technical problems but it is finally here. I woke up to it this morning on my clock radio. How lovely to have it on on Sabbath. At sunset on Fridays, the announcer always makes the announcement that Sabbath has begun.

VOAR can also be accessed at www.voar.org or across Canada at 988 Bell Express View.

Faith
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church