Mental health and Adventists

Posted By: Skylynx

Mental health and Adventists - 03/17/08 01:24 AM

It has been a subject of my concern for quite awhile, as the survivor of a mental disorder treated in an SDA psychiatric facility. Few realize it, but the Adventist hospital systems have among the best psychiatric in-patient facilities in the world. Yet, it is strange that, as a church, Adventists seem to assume that a "good" Adventist can't come down with a mental disorder. Just because Sister White, in the early years of SDA medical practise, criticised certain erroneous practices, we have virtually thrown the baby out with the bath water. There is a great body of solid, truthful practice of psychiatry, that really does help people, get on the right track again with mental disorders of a clinical severity. Yet, those are probably the most lonely patients in the whole world. Very few Adventists know that SDA hospitals have psychiatric floors unless they, or a loved one, are thrust into this "Underworld" by a dire emergency. I think it's about time we quit our head-in-the-sand policy and study what really is true and false about psychiatry..for the sake of those SDA fellow members who suffer alone as few can imagine possible.
Posted By: Will

Re: Mental health and Adventists - 03/17/08 01:34 AM

I am glad you said what you said. Its nothing to be ashamed of, and it takes a big heart full of compassion to share as you did.
God Bless,
Will
Posted By: gordonb1

Re: Mental health and Adventists - 03/17/08 03:34 AM

Hello Skylynx,

At GYC 2007 Dr. Neil Nedley presented 3 lectures which addressed "Healing the Mind: Psychology and the Bible". Although there are few SDA speakers who appear to believe their own message, this man rings true.

In the same channel of apparent integrity are the messages by David Gates: Extreme Missions.

One need scroll down the page to retrieve these refreshing lectures.

Neil Nedley, David Gates at GYC 2007:

http://gycweb.org/node/58
Posted By: Skylynx

Re: Mental health and Adventists - 03/17/08 05:35 PM

Thanks for the response. And thanks also, Gordon1 for the referals of similar interest. I will check them out and see how I can help with making Adventists more up to date in this area.
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Mental health and Adventists - 03/17/08 05:55 PM

Yes, mental health is a real need. Sin has taken its toll on the human body and brain. Things do not function properly. We are no longer born "fearfully and wonderfully" made. We do not inherit godly traits and tendencies. The momentum of fallen nature is against us. We need all the help we can get. Healthful lifestyle practices are awesome and necessary, but sometimes they're not enough to make up for our defects and deficiencies. There are times when drugs and surgery is the rest of the answer. Not to replace faith in Jesus; not to replace sanctified will power and human effort; but to make it possible to exercise faith that works by love and purifies the soul.
Posted By: Ted_Farmer

Re: Mental health and Adventists - 03/20/08 12:46 AM

Was just wondering if there was any actual fact to the statement about the SDA in-patient facilities being the best in the whole world? Is that your opinion (have you been in any others to be able to make such a judgement), or have you come across some study that shows how great they are?

I think LOTS of people need mental help, probably several here, and we should help others who need this type of help. I was just hoping to find out whose system really is the best?
Posted By: crater

Re: Mental health and Adventists - 03/20/08 08:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Ted_Farmer
Was just wondering if there was any actual fact to the statement about the SDA in-patient facilities being the best in the whole world? Is that your opinion (have you been in any others to be able to make such a judgement), or have you come across some study that shows how great they are?

I think LOTS of people need mental help, probably several here, and we should help others who need this type of help. I was just hoping to find out whose system really is the best?

Ted would you be more comfortable if Skylynx had said IMO?

I do not think any of us have the expertise to say that " the SDA in-patient facilities being the best in the whole world".

I believe that Dr. Neil Nedley has experienced some good out come in his work with depression. His book on depression is very good and he did some camp meeting circuits, teaching about depression. Since then I have seen a number of local churches give help for depression classes for the local community.
Posted By: crater

Re: Mental health and Adventists - 03/20/08 08:47 AM

Hey gordonb1,

Thanks for the tip on the gyc web site. \:\)

Re: Mental health and Adventists - 03/21/08 01:15 AM

Thank you Crater,

There seem to be few today who understand the essential elements of the Advent message. These two men are quite unique, but I'd not recommend every GYC speaker.

Gordon

Re: Mental health and Adventists - 03/21/08 01:50 AM

Hello Ted,

Welcome to the forum. Ellen White wrote at length upon various aspects of the mind and human relations. The Ministry of Healing and the compilation set Mind, Character & Personality (Vols. 1 & 2) address these issues as well as select entries in the 9-volume Testimonies for the Church.

Dr. Neil Nedley appears to understand these principles from the Bible and SOP. He seems to favour a natural approach, limiting or avoiding drug intervention when possible. Since God created the mind, it makes sense that His own repair methods will work best. Three lectures by Neil Nedley can be accessed from this media site:

http://gycweb.org/node/58

Gordon
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church