Distilled Water: Good or Bad?

Posted By: Daryl

Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/08/13 04:32 AM

There are many myths out there that says that distilled water isn't good to drink.

Would you say the response to this in the following link is a valid response?

http://www.aquaprix.com/resources/from-dr-andrew-weil/
Posted By: kland

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/08/13 06:15 PM

If you look at the osmotic potential, then yes, distilled water would leach minerals out as they would migrate from dense areas to less dense areas. While osmotic actions do affect our bodies, we are more than mere osmotic machines. We have many mechanisms which do "uphill" battles to overcome osmotic potentials. Whether drinking only distilled water over time would be harmful to one, I do not know. There may be some minerals which are absorbed. But, if that being true, then in areas where that mineral is not found, would there be health problems? Like the answer said, the best way to get your minerals is from food. A question comes to mind is, what does Ellen White mean by "pure water"? Is that purely H2O? Is that spring water? Or is that water in general instead of soft drinks?
Posted By: jamesonofthunder

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/08/13 06:28 PM

Distilled water is very good for you as long as it comes from a good uncontaminated source and clean distillery.

The result is almost perfect water.

I use the filtration system at Walmart which is awesome. Prefiltered, Charcoal filtered, Reverse osmosis filtered, and UV filtered. For the money, if you buy 5 gallon jugs and refill, there is no better way to get good water.

But I believe there is evidence that water that is too pure can have a leaching/ osmotic effect. And it doesn't taste as good.

To eliminate the sterile taste I add A teaspoon of Calcium/Magnesium, derived from Red Algae husks, which have the perfect Cal/mag levels for bioavailability. It is a product I used in my Bio-Smooth prebiotic blend at my smoothie shop.

This renewable calcium source is way better for us and taste better than calcium derived from sea shells (calcium carbonate)

I only put enough to bring the PPM levels to 10 ppm and this is perfect for taste.

The best water source is glacial water that has not been in circulation, or unfrozen for hundreds of years. The second best is from artesian springs, but the groundwater around the world is so contaminated now.

I live at the headwaters of the Mississippi and we have three aquifers that supply some of the best water in the midwest.

I would HATE to be living at the end of the Mississippi. The water has been processed more than 20 times and redeposited if you know what I mean. All the runoff from pig farms and companies and roadways. Millions of pounds of Medication being flushed into waterways every year etc etc. (don't mean scare anyone but it's true)

The things that are forming dioxins and toxins we do not even have a name for and no way to filter.

I used to work for Dow chemical in the reverse osmosis filter processing subsidiary called FilmTech. I learned a lot about water sustainability there.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/09/13 01:53 AM

Wow Kland while I was waiting for my post to be applied after I had written it you said almost the exact same thing.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/09/13 06:04 PM

Excepting I was suggesting that pure water may not actually cause harm to our bodies. That our bodies are designed to prevent any harmful leaching effect. Don't know if that's true or not. Just thinking of the kidneys and many other processes which work uphill.

How did you decide 10 ppm creates the osmotic potential so it does not potentially leach any nutrients out?

Head waters, mouth.

It's obvious you don't mean you live where the river dumps into the ocean. However, isn't that called the "mouth"? That has always mixed me up as I think of mouth as swallowing water and therefore the mouth should be where the water enters and not leaves. But does what actually it is called mean the head is not where the mouth is?
Posted By: Charity

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/10/13 04:14 AM

I used to think hard drinking water was better for your health than soft because of it's mineral content. But a few years ago I noticed that Ellen White says in more than one place that soft water is better for drinking and bathing. The reason soft water is better is likely that water is a purifier; the more pure the water is the better it can do it's job. If that's so, distilled water would be fine to drink, but that level of purity is not necessary for it to do a good job. According to her soft water is fine. She doesn't make any direct comment on distilled water, but it was available in her day.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/10/13 10:03 AM

Originally Posted By: kland
Excepting I was suggesting that pure water may not actually cause harm to our bodies. That our bodies are designed to prevent any harmful leaching effect. Don't know if that's true or not. Just thinking of the kidneys and many other processes which work uphill.

How did you decide 10 ppm creates the osmotic potential so it does not potentially leach any nutrients out?

Head waters, mouth.

It's obvious you don't mean you live where the river dumps into the ocean. However, isn't that called the "mouth"? That has always mixed me up as I think of mouth as swallowing water and therefore the mouth should be where the water enters and not leaves. But does what actually it is called mean the head is not where the mouth is?

I had to think about what you meant... (headwaters, mouth) I thought you were calling me a name at first, hahaha.

The head waters are where the river begins, the mouth the end. It is confusing and that is why I call the mouth 'the end' or usually the 'delta' in the case of Mississippi.

I also do not think there is much danger in the osmotic effect from drinking ultra pure water, except for women with extreme osteoporosis and people who have been through chemotherapy or have duodenum problems in their stomach. The Duodenum has been known to become irritated from ultrapure water in these patients, and bone problems can occur because of leaching making it harder to absorb calcium. But I would much rather know there is nothing in there than to think there is something dangerous.

But here are some facts. We have no way of filtering Many of the dangerous compounds that develop by mixing chemicals willy nilly in the rivers, and these mixtures do not register on dissolved solid ppm or EC (electrical conductivity) meters. Only the most expensive sensors can detect half of the dioxins that we know exist in the water. So keeping the source clean is most important.

I do not believe they should be taking water directly from rivers to supply potable water for drinking, it should come from underground river source or the deep ground nearby so there is a greater degree of filtration before the city processing. But the wells have been so neglected, and as soon as there is flooding there is contamination underground so the wells should be upgraded and this expensive.

I have personally seen how they filter city water for drinking in many facilities and I would not drink anything from the tap in any city around the world except very few places in America.

You might as well bring water with you to Mexico or any third world country because of the damage already done to their waters. (guess who is responsible for most of the damage?)

I live in a town which has won many awards for clean drinking water in Minnesota, I'm proud of that point. I wouldn't drink from the tap in New York City or Washington DC if you paid me to.

I have mentioned this before but James White loved cutting edge technology and because they traveled so much, he always carried an activated charcoal water filtration jug with him, so they could remain healthy.

They always boiled their water and filtered it.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/10/13 05:15 PM

What does she mean by "soft water"? Sodium Chloride softening system? Or soft rain water?

Getting to the original plan, before the flood, would one expect there to be many minerals in the streams?

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/10/13 09:19 PM

She meant it in the way they did in general back then, water uncontaminated by heavy iron/ mineral deposits. Mainly that good well water was softer than bad well water. They noticed the difference a lot in their travels. She loved the Water in Michigan and California.

She did say rain water makes a good source of soft water, but that it also needs to be boiled and filtered.

They didn't have sodium chloride water softeners back then yet.
Posted By: Johann

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/11/13 09:42 AM

So glad that the best and softest water comes right out of our tap without any filtering. So delicious without an equal. The water comes from a spring where the water comes straight out of the earth by a mountain.

Just a few hundred yards from our house flows a river straight from some of the largest glaciers of Europe. Nowhere is glacial water drinkable because glaciers have been collecting dust and mud for centuries and rivers and creeks from these glaciers consist of melted ancient snow and ice. This water flows into the Atlantic Ocean where it evaporates into the clouds and returns to earth through rain, which is naturally distilled water, provided there is no industrial or other dust in the clouds.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/11/13 12:33 PM

Dust and mud from 200 years ago frozen in the strata of ancient glaciers is much better than the dust and mud of today.

The US government sent the USS Nautilus to the North Pole in 1958 during 'Operation Sunshine'. Being the first water craft to make it to the North Pole they did a study thinking the most pristine water in the ocean would be found under the ice cap. They sampled the water under the polar cap and you know what they found? 2 inches of sludge. We had already done irreparable damage to our world by then, that was 6 decades ago when Nuclear power was just invented.

The way the earth turns in concert with the air and weather patterns make the polar caps magnets for pollutants. This has been proven by hundreds of case studies.

"Among the main threats currently hovering over the poles, the long-distance transport of contaminants from industrial or agricultural areas to the polar regions is of particular concern."

Now our oceans are covered with a thick film of plastic mush. The studies done by the United Nations say the threat of the plastic floating in our oceans is a much larger problem than global warming.

“Between 250 and 300 million tons of plastic are produced every year," said Capt. Moore. "To get that into terms you can understand, every two years we make enough plastic to be the equivalent of the weight of the 7 billion people on earth.”

As global warming progresses, wind and water currents carry pollutants from different parts of the world and have a tendency of travelling to the earth poles due to the “conveyor belt” nature of the coriolis effect that causes these pollutants to travel to the earth’s North and South poles and concentrate them in the polar caps.

Water pollution becomes more evident and dangerous as ice caps melt. Some pollutants found in the Arctic are classified as persistent and lipophilic, this means that they will remain in the fatty tissue of all organisms with adipose tissue up the food chain. You eat a fish you get the contaminants.

“In the last 20 years, scientists have detected an increasing variety of toxic contaminants in the North, including pesticides from agriculture, chemicals and heavy metals from industry, and even radioactive fall-out from Chernobyl (Now Japans Fukushima). These are substances that have invaded ecosystems virtually worldwide, but they are especially worrisome in the Arctic”.

These toxins are traveling through the air and joining to water molecules as they fall in the form of precipitation. No form of atmospheric precipitation is safe today. Please believe me, I know what I'm talking about Pastor.

The lower levels of ice from ancient glaciers, and very deep wells (called prehistoric wells) are the only sources free of the contaminants of the last 100 years. After these sources waters from uncontaminated head waters where plants filter much of the contamination is best. The water must be moving though.

We have not been very nice to our planet.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/11/13 08:13 PM

So you think the water in the mountains of Europe are safe pastor?

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/11/13 10:45 PM

The most efficient way of filtering water is through large filters and reusing receptacles. Small filters are less likely to be recycled. The very large filters used in industrial water filtering are forced to be recycled.

Get 5 gallon water jugs and refill them. Do not buy single serve plastic water bottles which are a total waste of energy and constitute more than half of the plastic poisoning we are exposed to. NEVER FEED A BABY FROM PLASTIC! Keep plastic out of the microwave because heating plastic causes the off gassing that poisons us. USE GLASS in the microwave.

Also use glass that you can clean and reuse for single serve drinking bottles. Bring them home and clean em them reuse. SAVE yourselves and SAVE the planet. This should be law.
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/12/13 07:06 AM

All over SE Asia, there is a mineral layer of arsenic in the ground. Unscrupulous mining operations frequently puncture a water aquifer after having passed through this layer, and water is brought into contact with the arsenic, which then dissolves into it. Only expensive filtration systems like reverse-osmosis and water distillation will remove elemental toxins like arsenic.

"Hard water" can have a better flavor at times. Pure water is tasteless. But that doesn't mean the hard water is any better for us. If taste were the determinant, I should like to choose juice or root beer (soda pop) to consume on a regular basis. smile

It is not proven that inorganic minerals such as are found in hard water have any beneficial impact on our bodies. They may, conversely, be detrimental--even those minerals which would ordinarily be considered nutrients. Organic forms, such as the minerals we find in our foods, are assimilated and influence our health much more readily.

I'm in favor of pure water. Distilled water is as pure as it gets.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/12/13 01:44 PM

The water bible from the World Health Organization. This paper is why so many water bottling companies add Calcium and Magnesium to bottled water for the benefits. I follow their guidelines. I add 10 ppm of Cal Mag to by filtered water for taste, but I add 100 ppm for a daily dose of Cal/Mag in suspension formula.

The World Health Organization (WHO) assembled a diverse group of nutrition, medical, epidemiological and other scientific experts and water technologists at the Pan American Health Organization in Washington, DC, USA, on 27–28 April 2006 to address the possible role of drinking-water containing calcium and/or magnesium as a contribution to the daily intake of those minerals. The overarching issue addressed was whether consumption of drinking-water containing a relatively small contribution to total daily dietary intake of calcium and/or magnesium would provide positive health benefits, especially with respect to cardiovascular disease mortality (the so-called “hard water cardiovascular disease benefits hypothesis”), in the population, particularly in people whose dietary intake was deficient in either of those nutrients. The meeting of experts immediately followed the International Symposium on Health Aspects of Calcium and Magnesium in Drinking Water, which was organized by NSF International and the International Life Sciences Institute in
Baltimore, MD, USA.

It has been reported from studies in eastern Europe that drinking-water with a very low mineral content has a negative impact on the gastrointestinal tract (Kozisek 2005), although no mechanism has been clearly elucidated. Such an effect could, in theory, change the gastrointestinal absorption of minerals,and/or toxic metals, from other sources, particularly food. However, there remain a number of uncertainties relating to the potential for ingestion of low-mineral water to have an impact on the gastrointestinal tract. While there is a need to obtain additional data on the actual effect, it remains uncertain whether this would be an effect on the gastrointestinal tract itself or on the short-term physiology of the gastrointestinal tract. There are some other important considerations. The studies seem largely to have been carried out under conditions of exercise and water stress, and this may lead to unusual conditions. For example, assuming adequate dietary intake of ions and minerals, under such conditions would rehydration with low-mineral water lead to loss of minerals from the gastrointestinal mucosa, or would the key be replacement of minerals lost through sweating and diuresis? Currently there appear to be few studies that would provide answers or even partial answers, except in relation to sports medicine, which also provides relatively extreme conditions.

This paper talks about the Netherlands and how they use centralized water softening techniques to condition water from the processing plants instead of per household like America which has some benefits.

Scientific paper link

This is the calcium sourse I use which has the greatest level of Bioavailabillity for human consumption available in a renewable source.

Aquamin

"A seaweed-derived mineral source, Aquamin is rich in calcium, magnesium and 74 other trace minerals including zinc, iron and selenium. It is produced from the red algae, Lithothamnion species, which is found in just three locations in the world, including the south-west coast of Ireland and Iceland. During its growth phase, these algae absorb essential minerals from the sea – this gives Aquamin its unique multimineral content. The algae then break down naturally and settle on the sea bed. These calcified skeletal remains are harvested, washed, dried and milled into four forms for different food and drink applications. Nothing else is added to the ingredient."

I used to put it in my Bio-Smooth prebiotic formula.
Posted By: Rick H

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/12/13 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
All over SE Asia, there is a mineral layer of arsenic in the ground. Unscrupulous mining operations frequently puncture a water aquifer after having passed through this layer, and water is brought into contact with the arsenic, which then dissolves into it. Only expensive filtration systems like reverse-osmosis and water distillation will remove elemental toxins like arsenic.

"Hard water" can have a better flavor at times. Pure water is tasteless. But that doesn't mean the hard water is any better for us. If taste were the determinant, I should like to choose juice or root beer (soda pop) to consume on a regular basis. smile

It is not proven that inorganic minerals such as are found in hard water have any beneficial impact on our bodies. They may, conversely, be detrimental--even those minerals which would ordinarily be considered nutrients. Organic forms, such as the minerals we find in our foods, are assimilated and influence our health much more readily.

I'm in favor of pure water. Distilled water is as pure as it gets.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Funny, my wife just changed over to distilled water since our well has gotten contaminated by drilling by the city as their well fields are close to us. They promised that they would protect our water and to report any changes, and we noticed changes in color so had it tested and it was very contaminated with all kinds of minerals stirred up the deep well drilling. We reported and the response we got was basically, 'sue us'. So I don't have a lawyer on retainer our can afford to take on 'city hall', so will be going to distilled water till I can get something that can clean and convert my water to a equivalent level.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/12/13 03:14 PM

Do it, hire a lawyer. They are responsible.

You might want to do some blood work and see what your levels of contaminants are in your blood.

Look for non naturally occurring nitrates and phosphates.

You could be given enough money to move or get a holding tank system at their expense.

My Father was next to a gravel pit and they would suck the water out every year to go deeper and he won a huge lawsuit just for this let alone contaminants. People 5 blocks away from where I live were on a well system and the concrete company next door had to buy them out for three times the market value of their home because of the levels of contaminants. DO IT DUDE.

They are forcing to do it and this is not something forbidden in scripture. They are doing the Christian thing so you are exempt from the command not to sue.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/12/13 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: jamesonofthunder
You might want to do some blood work and see what your levels of contaminants are in your blood.

Blood work may reveal some elements, but a hair-mineral analysis (HMA) is much better. It was via the HMA tests that I was proven to have been arsenic poisoned while in SE Asia for just a year and a half. I just spoke with someone this week who may be presently struggling with arsenic poisoning himself, likely from the same source as did I.

Distilled water is the best.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/12/13 06:59 PM

James, I'm not sure I would base anything on The World Health Organization saying it. In fact, I would tend to take the opposite approach of whatever they say. I suppose they might sometimes give valid advice. Hard to tell when.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/12/13 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: kland
James, I'm not sure I would base anything on The World Health Organization saying it. In fact, I would tend to take the opposite approach of whatever they say. I suppose they might sometimes give valid advice. Hard to tell when.

I know exactly what you mean, my point was to show that if they (WHO) are admitting that these things are as prevalent as they are confessing, then imagine how bad it really is. You know what I'm saying? They do have all of the studies that have been published by private researchers on this scientific paper noted. This is one of the best compilations health agencies have at their disposal on the subject that is why I quoted it.

But good point. I just hate to get on board the whole conspiracy theories associated with the World Health Organization. Let their own actions speak for themselves. The UN is not all bad.
Posted By: Rick H

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/13/13 03:19 AM

Blood work may reveal some elements, but a hair-mineral analysis (HMA) is much better. It was via the HMA tests that I was proven to have been arsenic poisoned while in SE Asia for just a year and a half. I just spoke with someone this week who may be presently struggling with arsenic poisoning himself, likely from the same source as did I.

Distilled water is the best.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Oh. I probably got some arsenic poisoned water in me, because after I built all the pens and fences and gates, my wife (she looks at everything) read the wood posts were pressure treated with arsenic and were being changed to something else that would be safer if I remember right.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/14/13 05:41 AM

Apparently I had asked a ND about this by email about a year ago and here is the response to my email:
Quote:

Distilled water is the most pure water, and is the process which God uses in nature. No, there are no health risk associated with drinking it, although there is a lot of false information currently circulating which does make that claim. However, none of the claims are substantiated with any scientific research, while the research for distilled water is abundant.

Steam distillation relies on the physical principle of gravity to separate heavier inorganic salts from rising water vapor. As the water is boiled in a distiller, the steam rises, leaving salts(sodium, lime, etc), heavy metals(lead, mercury, etc), bacteria and other dissolved materials behind. The pure steam vapor rising from the boiling water then enters a "heat exchange" system which cools the steam vapor back into water, distilled water, drop by drop.

You will not need to add minerals to the water unless you are feeding your plants smile Minerals are simply tiny pieces of rock, and you get as much benefit from taking them apart from their original sources as you would by eating a spoonful of dirt. We simply are not made to use minerals in that form. However, plants are designed to draw inorganic minerals up into their structure, and attach enzymes to them making them living, and thereby useable by humans. Taking inorganic minerals into our bodies results in many health problems, including pain in joints, kidney stones, and hardened arteries. Distilled water is supposed to be dead (as is all water), as water is the combination of two gases, and gases are dead.

People who think they are getting their minerals from drinking water, need to realize that less than 2% of the water is dissolved minerals, and even if those minerals were usable by the body, this would not be a significant amount or even a reliable source for those minerals! Far better to eat the fruits, nuts, grains, and vegetables to get our nutrients.

Hope this helps, and please let us know if you have further questions.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/14/13 12:25 PM

The problem with Distillation (and the main reason most bottling companies do not use it), when the process occurs it leaves sediment in a form of scale on the walls in the heating chamber and to lesser degrees on the condensation tubes, (ask anyone who owns a distiller) until there is a thick scale on all surfaces, then the unit reaches its saturation point and then the effect becomes futile because the contaminants start coming out the end that is supposed to be clean. And unless you continually clean the equipment every time you use it, which is very labor intensive, there is a greater and greater degree of possibility of contaminants. Especially when the water source is less pure.

The level of cleaning available by the four step filtration process is better for many reasons, including not having to use descaling solvents to clean the units every month, which poisons the waste water. The only drawback to a filter is in the landfill. But landfill of a filter is much more eco-friendly than pouring Sulfamic acid and the byproduct sulfuric acid down the drain which acts as a reagent to make benzonitriles (very poisonous) from benzamides. Nasty.

And the part from ND about humans not needing minerals in our drinking water, all the scientific evidence points to this being untrue. To say humans do not need minerals in their water, saying it is only needful by plants, now that is pseudoscientific. The greatest benefit in purified water is having control over what minerals are in the water to be beneficial. Just like the horticultural hydroponic industry, start with pure and curtail it for the needs.

The fact that in the horticultural industry with precise level monitoring, controlling what is in the water on every level including pH, they can actually cause plants to grow 10 times more efficiently even in soil. This should give plenty of credibility to the fact that other organic lifeforms would benefit from their water content being tailored to their needs don't you think?

Cows and all livestock grow more efficiently where the water is best.

All fish in aquariums have precise guidelines to the salinity and ph levels established for decades to manage ultimate growth, so humans are the only organism that do not need this?

Just the fact that ultrapure water is more destructive to pipes and equipment should give lots credibility to what it does inside humans guts. Don't you think?

In my recent studies as I mentioned earlier, in the netherlands with their centralized water softening, their pipes and water transport mechanisms last twice as long because their form of water softening raises pH levels to be slightly alkaline which is less destructive to copper and PVC pipes. (though I do not profess to know why since a pH of 7, as in pure water, is neutral)

But look at any out pipes of a distiller or Reverse Osmosis system and see the corrosive effect of ultrapure water, especially to stainless steel.

I think you will see that the pure water of heaven has the perfect mineral content for life. This is heavenly science.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/15/13 10:13 PM

The problem with Distillation (and the main reason most bottling companies do not use it), when the process occurs it leaves sediment in a form of scale on the walls in the heating chamber and to lesser degrees on the condensation tubes, (ask anyone who owns a distiller) until there is a thick scale on all surfaces, then the unit reaches its saturation point and then the effect becomes futile because the contaminants start coming out the end that is supposed to be clean. And unless you continually clean the equipment every time you use it, which is very labor intensive, there is a greater and greater degree of possibility of contaminants. Especially when the water source is less pure.
Ummmm.... I believe this could be determined scientifically. Are you saying that sediment leaves the container in the vapor and enters the condensation tubes? If so, that throws into question the whole purpose of distillation.

Quote:
The fact that in the horticultural industry with precise level monitoring, controlling what is in the water on every level including pH, they can actually cause plants to grow 10 times more efficiently even in soil. This should give plenty of credibility to the fact that other organic lifeforms would benefit from their water content being tailored to their needs don't you think?
No.
Plants absorb nutrients much different than animals and operate at different pHs.

Quote:
Just the fact that ultrapure water is more destructive to pipes and equipment should give lots credibility to what it does inside humans guts.
Does it? Any qualifications to it?

Quote:
But look at any out pipes of a distiller or Reverse Osmosis system and see the corrosive effect of ultrapure water, especially to stainless steel.
Could this be a heat effect? And define "corrosive" in relation to what you have in mind.

Quote:
I think you will see that the pure water of heaven has the perfect mineral content for life. This is heavenly science.
Which I brought up before, before the flood, was there mineral content in the water? When the mist went up from the ground to water the earth, was there mineral content in it? I suppose your answer would reflect the answer to the first question I ask here.
Posted By: Charity

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/15/13 11:03 PM

I thought you could clean a home water distiller with vinegar, or am I all wet?

The ND's comments make sense to me. Plants can assimilate raw minerals but we're made differently. We're created to rely on the botanical world. That world takes the raw elements and together with sunshine and water and warmth pre-digests our food for us.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/16/13 12:01 AM

Have any of you owned a distiller? Like I said before, I worked for Dow Chemical in their Reverse osmosis department and I had 3 years of training on this exact subject. I learned things there that they don't teach in College in this subject, so please consider me an expert here, maybe? I also [u]owned my own company[/u] where I developed a product called Bio-smooth prebiotic supplement which is used for treating high purity water to eliminate the leaching effect. In direct concert with scientists and doctors I built a company that dealt with this exact issue. OK? [email]pulsejuice@gmail.com[/email] if you email me I can show you literature. Did you guys read the report with all the scientific papers I just listed earlier? READ THIS PAPER! http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2009/9789241563550_eng.pdf Here is another one entitled [url=http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutdemineralized.pdf]Health risks for drinking demineralized water.[/url] That would answer a lot of these questions. Here is some quotes from these scientific papers. "Demineralised water is highly aggressive and if untreated, its distribution through pipes and storage tanks would not be possible. The aggressive water attacks the water distribution piping and leaches metals and other materials from the pipes and associated plumbing materials." HEALTH RISKS FROM CONSUMPTION OF DEMINERALISED OR LOW-MINERAL WATER Knowledge of some effects of consumption of demineralised water is based on experimental and observational data. Experiments have been conducted in laboratory animals and human volunteers, and observational data have been obtained from populations supplied with desalinated water, individuals drinking reverse osmosis-treated demineralised water, and infants given beverages prepared with distilled water. Because limited information is available from these studies, we should also consider the results of epidemiological studies where health effects were compared for populations using low-mineral (soft) water and more mineral-rich waters. Demineralised water that has not been remineralised is considered an extreme case of low-mineral or soft water because it contains only small amounts of dissolved minerals such as calcium and magnesium that are the major contributors to hardness. The possible health consequences of low mineral content water consumption are discussed in the following categories: • [u]Direct effects on the [b]intestinal mucous membrane[/b], metabolism and mineral homeostasis or other body functions[/u]. • Practically zero calcium and magnesium intake. • Low intake of other essential elements and microelements. • Loss of calcium, magnesium and other essential elements in prepared food. • Possible increased dietary intake of toxic metals leached from water pipe. • Possible bacterial re-growth.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/16/13 04:12 AM

JSOT,

I have worked with more than one distiller, and own a good one right now that is made by Pure Water. It sounds to me like you have not learned to properly maintain a distiller and/or you had an inferior product. "Scale" does not get into the condensation side of the distiller unless you have introduced actual "water/brine" there. If you are exposing it to the original water, then you risk all sorts of issues and damage to your distiller, not to mention defeating the purpose of having one.

Steam is pure water. Condensing pure water gives no scale, for there is no such thing as scale made of H2O. The minerals that would be found in the scale do not evaporate with the water. That's why distillation yields the purest water known to man.

I watched a demonstration on the purity of distilled water. Water purity is measured in terms of its impurities--in parts per million (PPM). The lower this number, the purer the water. Typical water from the tap will likely measure in the hundreds of PPM. Distilled water may get you between 0-2 PPM, and the higher the reading, the more likely you've actually not cleaned your measuring instrument sufficiently between water samples. (Cleaning it with tap water would introduce a high PPM contamination potential.)

Learn to use your distiller properly, and there's no excuse for having contaminated water.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/16/13 05:00 AM

Man if I have to argue on every single point here, I think I'll go mad.

To answer your point GC, there are a lot of variables on how pure distilled water is. (have you ever heard of double distilled or deionized water?)

The easiest way to answer is this.

How pure is the air in your home? (most homes air is 100 times more toxic than outside) As soon as ultrapure water comes into contact with air it immediately becomes impure by the action of O2 retention. What ever is part of the air becomes part of your water on the surface by the O2 molecules binding to and mixing in the water.

The hotter the air in the chamber, the more water it can hold and the heat of the water makes the O2 retention diminished, UNTIL the water condenses, then immediately the O2 retention inside of the water increases and the air it is was suspended in and whatever is in the air begins to mix into the water. A good distiller has an intake air filter for this purpose.

So to make the point even more precise, ultrapure water is semi-corrosive to stainless steel and copper and lead solder joints like I mentioned before, and creates a leaching process in whatever metal it touches. Since you claim to have a distiller, then the milky surface of your stainless steel where the water makes contact would testify to this strange phenomenon.

In the chemical industry they use precise methods of distillation to eliminate all of these variables, including using glass and double distilling and Ion removal. (deionization) This is truly the purest form of water, but for all intents and purposes, If you have a distiller and do not clean every time you use it, you will see a buildup of impurities inside the condensation tubes unless made of glass. And if you argue this point then it is obvious you do not have a distiller. The condensation effect creates this milky buildup on every type of metal and it builds and builds and eventually it can come out of the tubes in chunks. The constant use of metal tubes in condensing ultrapure water will eventually dissolve the tubes to nothing. IT IS CORROSIVE ***** STAFF EDIT *****.

The leaching of the metals itself makes the water less than pure.
I can prove everything I am saying right now.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/16/13 05:05 AM

Why are all the links missing in my post?

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/16/13 01:48 PM

Don't know as no links were edited out of your previous post here by any of us.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/16/13 05:54 PM

James, which of the links you gave talk about minerals rising with the water vapor and coming out in the end product?

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/16/13 06:01 PM

If in the pull-down, you had "using HTML" selected, the UBB links would not display properly.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 02/19/16 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: JSOT
So to make the point even more precise, ultrapure water is semi-corrosive to stainless steel and copper and lead solder joints like I mentioned before, and creates a leaching process in whatever metal it touches. Since you claim to have a distiller, then the milky surface of your stainless steel where the water makes contact would testify to this strange phenomenon.

I wonder where Mr. Thunder might have gotten his information. I have now been operating my distiller for several years, drinking from it consistently. I have yet to see any "milky" surface to the stainless steel on the distilled side of the machine. The milky residue left in the brine side is fully to be expected, for it consist of the minerals that have been left behind in the process of distillation. I've heard it said that distilled water can be acidic. I have no evidence of such. A doctor told me he had put a chem strip for testing the pH of urine into a sample of his distilled water and it came out perfectly neutral. Apparently, it can only become acidic through contact with CO2, and if the distiller keeps the distilled water in an enclosed loop of the machine, there is little such contact to be made. In any case, one has to wonder why people would desire to question the safety of the purest water known to man. Purity is a good thing. Our body needs pure water. Mrs. White tells us pure, soft water is the best beverage.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
I should eat sparingly, thus relieving my system of unnecessary burden, and should encourage cheerfulness, and give myself the benefits of proper exercise in the open air. I should bathe frequently, and drink freely of pure, soft water. {CD 419.2}

961. Keep the patient free from excitement, and every influence calculated to depress. Her attendants should be cheerful and hopeful. She should have a simple diet, and should be allowed plenty of pure, soft water to drink. Bathe frequently in pure, soft water, followed by gentle rubbing. Let the light and air be freely admitted into the room. She must have quiet and undisturbed rest.-- H. to L., Chap. 3, pp. 54, 55. {HL 225.4}

962. Water is the best liquid possible to cleanse the tissues. . . . Drink some little time before or after the meal.-- R. and H., 1884, No. 31. {HL 226.1}

977. Nature, to relieve herself of poisonous impurities, makes an effort to free the system, which effort produces fevers and what is termed disease. But even then, if those who are afflicted would assist nature in her efforts by the use of pure, soft water, much suffering would be prevented.-- H. to L. Chap. 4, p. 60. {HL 228.4}

The sick should be educated to have confidence in nature's great blessings which God has provided; and the most effective remedies for disease are pure soft water, the blessed God-given sunshine coming into the rooms of the invalids, living outdoors as much as possible, having healthful exercise, eating and drinking foods that are prepared in the most healthful manner. . . . {MM 225.1}

Obviously, Mrs. White valued "pure soft water" highly. And the purest, softest water to be found is distilled water. There is no indication from her writings that water could ever be too pure or too soft. In fact, she speaks of God providing His children the "purest water." The purest known to man these days is distilled water. God must approve of it.

He provided them food which was the most healthful. He rained their bread from heaven, and gave them purest water from the flinty rock. He made a covenant with them, if they would obey Him in all things, He would preserve them from disease. {TSDF 62.8}

One does not find anything "purer" than "purest," right?

Here is something Mr. Thunder perhaps overlooked in his research: reverse osmosis (RO) filtration only removes charged or polar molecules. Molecules with a neutral polarity are not removed. Consider the case of arsenic. It occurs in two forms. One form has a polarity, the other does not. RO filtration may remove the one, but cannot remove the other. Hence, studies show that RO filtration is ineffective at removing all arsenic. The following is an abstract from a scientific study focused on this problem.

Originally Posted By: National Institutes of Health
Inorganic arsenic causes cancer, and millions of people worldwide are exposed to arsenic-contaminated water. Regulatory standards for arsenic levels in drinking water generally do not apply to private domestic wells. Reverse osmosis (RO) units commonly are used by well owners to reduce arsenic concentrations, but may not always be effective. In a survey of 102 homes in Nevada, 19 used RO devices. Pre- and post-RO filtration arsenic concentrations averaged 443 μg/l and 87 μg/l, respectively. The average absolute and percent reductions in arsenic concentrations after filtration were 356 μg/l and 79%, respectively. Postfiltration concentrations were higher than 10 μg/l in 10 homes and higher than 100 μg/l in 4 homes. These findings provide evidence that RO filters do not guarantee safe drinking water and, despite regulatory standards, some people continue to be exposed to very high arsenic concentrations.

You may read this for youself HERE.

As I live in one of the zones of this planet with the highest arsenic levels in the water table, I am thankful for my distiller. Very thankful.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: dedication

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 02/20/16 07:10 AM

Because you had clicked on HTML instead of UBBCode

This is what it looks like changing your post to UBBCode

Have any of you owned a distiller? Like I said before, I worked for Dow Chemical in their Reverse osmosis department and I had 3 years of training on this exact subject. I learned things there that they don't teach in College in this subject, so please consider me an expert here, maybe? I also owned my own company where I developed a product called Bio-smooth prebiotic supplement which is used for treating high purity water to eliminate the leaching effect. In direct concert with scientists and doctors I built a company that dealt with this exact issue. OK?

pulsejuice@gmail.com if you email me I can show you literature.

Did you guys read the report with all the scientific papers I just listed earlier?

READ THIS PAPER! http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2009/9789241563550_eng.pdf

Here is another one entitled Health risks for drinking demineralized water.

That would answer a lot of these questions. Here is some quotes from these scientific papers.

"Demineralised water is highly aggressive and if untreated, its distribution through pipes and storage tanks would not be possible. The aggressive water attacks the water distribution piping and leaches metals and other materials from the pipes and associated plumbing materials."

HEALTH RISKS FROM CONSUMPTION OF
DEMINERALISED OR LOW-MINERAL WATER
Knowledge of some effects of consumption of demineralised water is based on experimental and observational data. Experiments have been conducted in laboratory animals and human volunteers, and observational data have been obtained from populations supplied with desalinated water, individuals drinking reverse osmosis-treated demineralised water, and infants given beverages prepared with distilled water. Because limited information is available from these studies, we should also consider the results of epidemiological studies where health effects were compared for populations using low-mineral (soft) water and more mineral-rich waters. Demineralised water that has not been remineralised is considered an extreme case of low-mineral or soft water because it contains only small amounts of dissolved minerals such as calcium and magnesium that are the major contributors to hardness. The possible health consequences of low mineral content water consumption are discussed in the following categories:
Direct effects on the intestinal mucous membrane, metabolism and mineral homeostasis or other body functions.
• Practically zero calcium and magnesium intake.
• Low intake of other essential elements and microelements.
• Loss of calcium, magnesium and other essential elements in prepared food.
• Possible increased dietary intake of toxic metals leached from water pipe.
• Possible bacterial re-growth.
Posted By: dedication

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 02/20/16 07:33 AM

Water pollution is a major problem in our world today and can cause serious health problems and even death.

There are Pesticides and herbicides in the water -- Run off from farms, backyards, and golf courses that spray huge amounts to control weeds and insects. These "killing chemicals" in turn contaminate the water.

Rainwater becomes contaminated as it seeps through industrial waste areas and then run into aquifers, rivers, lakes and watersheds. Rainwater can become acidic since industry now emits great amounts of acidifying gasses, such as sulphuric oxides and carbon monoxide. These gasses also dissolve in rainwater and causes the pH levels to fall.

Excessive use of fertilizers cause nitrate contamination of groundwater which is far above safely levels recommended.

Many third world countries still have sewage mixing with their water.

Then there are natural causes that contaminate water.

Pure water is becoming hard to find in nature.
Therefore -- even when cleansing methods aren't 100% good, they are better than drinking contaminated water.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 02/25/16 09:22 PM

We purchase our own distilled water from a Drug Store.
Posted By: ProdigalOne

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 02/27/16 09:41 AM

I am considering buying a distiller. Right now we purchase five gallon bottles of spring water: I do not like the taste and never feel refreshed after drinking it.

On the other hand, my family does not like the "bland" taste of distilled water.
If I do purchase a distiller, it will be solely for my own use.

Some people recommend adding a pinch of sea salt or other minerals in order to improve the flavor: it seems counterintuitive to add minerals after removing them.
Does anyone have any idea of how to make distilled water more palatable without destroying its purity?

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 02/27/16 02:46 PM

The best water on the planet, in my opinion, is glacier melt-water from rugged mountain streams such as in British Columbia. Naturally, it amounts to nature's own version of "distilled", and differs from boiled distillation methods in two principle areas: 1) it is highly oxygenated, and 2) it has some minerals from the rocks over which it has flowed. As I am thousands of miles from such blessedness, my distiller gives me the next best option.

The inorganic minerals do affect the flavor, but there is little, if any, scientific evidence that they are beneficial in the body. They may, in fact, be harmful--which is perhaps why Mrs. White refers to "soft" water as the best. My distiller is designed to use a charcoal filter post-distillation. That helps the flavor a little, and apparently protects against a few other items that may otherwise pass through the distillation process, like chlorine (only an issue if you're on city water).

I have found, having lived in many places with many kinds of water, that one tends to adjust to the flavor to the point where whatever one drinks most often seems the best. (That doesn't mean it is, though!)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 02/29/16 08:51 PM

When I think of "soft" water, I think of water softener, which adds sodium to the water.

Ellen White must mean something else. But does she mean "distilled"? I have not seen so supported. In fact, how available was distilled water in her days that she would be advising it?

Is "soft" water a description of water? As in, she was stating no other than using, solvent water? Or liquid water? In other words, "soft" is a description of water, versus some other drink?

Easily disproved. Find where she distinguishes between "soft" water and "hard" water or some other water.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 03/01/16 06:01 AM

kland,

It is common knowledge that "hard water" has a high mineral content. That is the very definition of the term. "Soft water," by contrast, is the opposite. In nature, both forms exist. There is no need to own a distiller or water softener as the only way to find soft water.

I have lived in many places around the world. In places with hard water, the sinks and toilets may have mineral deposits in them, and it always seems to require more detergent, soap, shampoo, etc. to get the job done. Where water is softer, less of this mineral presence affects the taste of it. Even a landlocked country like Laos can obtain salt from wells, for I have toured a salt factory there. Salt can be present in layers underground, depending on your geographic location. However, while a natural salt layer might soften water that had run through it in similar fashion to a water softener, this is not necessary. Nature's "distilled" water comes to us in the form of rain, snow, dew, etc., and anyone finding a good source of water from these will have soft water.

I would suggest looking online for a definition of soft water, and you will readily see that there is no need for a water softener to make it, unless you are trying to convert hard water to soft. Google gave me the following:
Quote:
Soft water is water which has relatively low concentration of calcium carbonate and other ions. The water that lathers with soap easily is called soft water. It describes type of water that contain few or no minerals like calcium (Ca) or magnesium (Mg) ions.

I would say the burden of proof is on you to establish that "soft water" ever had a different meaning than this, such as during Mrs. White's day. Meanwhile, I will accept that she knew what she was talking about, and did not mean some silly thing like "water is soft because it is a liquid." If that were the case, why did she not speak of "soft milk" or "soft oil" or any other liquid in such a fashion?

Again, it all boils down to definitions.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 03/01/16 06:06 AM

Meanwhile, Mrs. White does address "hard water."

Hot biscuit raised with soda or baking powder should never appear upon our tables. Such compounds are unfit to enter the stomach. Hot raised bread of any kind is difficult of digestion. Graham gems which are both wholesome and palatable may be made from the unbolted flour, mixed with pure cold water and milk. But it is difficult to teach our people simplicity. When we recommend graham gems, our friends say, "Oh, yes, we know how to make them." We are much disappointed when they appear, raised with baking powder or with sour milk and soda. These give no evidence of reform. The unbolted flour, mixed with pure soft water and milk, makes the best gems we ever tasted. If the water is hard, use more sweet milk, or add an egg to the batter. Gems should be thoroughly baked in a well-heated oven, with a steady fire. {RH, May 8, 1883 par. 5}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 03/08/16 02:24 AM

kland,

It is common knowledge that "hard water" has a high mineral content. That is the very definition of the term. "Soft water," by contrast, is the opposite. In nature, both forms exist. There is no need to own a distiller or water softener as the only way to find soft water.
I would suggest looking online for a definition of soft water
I wasn't talking about what the definition of soft and hard water is. I was talking about what Ellen White meant. Burden of proof is on you. And you did give a quote after this diatribe.

Quote:
and did not mean some silly thing like "water is soft because it is a liquid."
That is not what I was saying. Contrast soft water with hard liquor.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/05/16 08:39 PM

I purchased a distiller about a week ago. My minor joint pain has already disappeared. It's amazing, and tastes much better than the bottled spring water I used previously.

Re: Distilled Water: Good or Bad? - 04/05/16 09:31 PM

Here is one more benefit of distilled water. Allowing for electricity usage and tap water rates in Alberta, a distiller will produce water for about 33% of the cost of 5 gallon bottled water.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church