Nutritional Yeast

Posted By: Suzanne

Nutritional Yeast - 05/24/13 06:27 AM

Nutritional yeast is an excellent vegetarian source of protein and B-vitamins

by Michael Ravensthorpe

(NaturalNews) Nutritional yeast is a heat-deactivated yeast that is typically sourced from beet molasses and sugarcane. It has a nutty, cheese-like flavor, and can be incorporated into pizzas, creamed vegetables, mashed potatoes, pasta, and various soups and salads. It is loved by vegetarians and vegans because it is a dairy and gluten-free source of numerous trace nutrients; indeed, the nutritional yeast found in health food stores is just as likely to be used as a health supplement as a cooking ingredient. Let's take a closer look at its nutritional value.

Rich in protein

Perhaps the biggest appeal of nutritional yeast, at least to people who avoid eating meat, is its incredibly high protein content. One 100 gram serving of it contains a whopping 50 grams of protein - more than 100 percent of an adult woman's recommended daily intake (46 grams), and almost as much as an adult man's RDI (56 grams). Moreover, this protein contains all eight essential amino acids, making it a 'complete' protein. We need protein, of course, to build our muscles and cells and to produce hormones and enzymes.

Weight loss properties

One-hundred grams of nutritional yeast provide us with 25 grams of fiber, which is 100 percent of our RDI. Since fiber helps us absorb water from the large intestine, it makes us feel full for longer, which prevents us from overeating. This fact, combined with the yeast's low calories content (281 calories per 100 grams) and minimal fat content, makes nutritional yeast a good supplement for people trying to lose weight.

Defense from free radicals

Nutritional yeast contains glutathione and selenium, two antioxidants that form glutathione peroxidase when combined, an enzyme that is a powerful scavenger of free radicals. A free radical is an oxygen molecule that has lost an electron, so it tries to stabilize itself by stealing electrons from neighboring molecules; this creates havoc in the body and, if left unchecked, can lead to cancer and other serious degenerative diseases. Glutathione peroxidase can neutralize free radicals, thereby guarding us from their damage.

Anti-aging properties

Nutritional yeast is a good source of nucleotides, which are the building blocks of DNA and RNA. DNA is the genetic blueprint for all living organisms, and RNA is what carries the DNA instructions to our body's cells. Consequently, the yeast provides us with many benefits associated with healthy cells, including improved energy and skin, protection from hair loss and macular degeneration, reversal of heart disease, and the elimination of brain fog.

B-vitamin complex

Nutritional yeast contains absolutely unbeatable levels of B-vitamins (in fact, it is riboflavin that gives the yeast its yellow color). One-hundred grams of it contain 60 milligrams of thiamin, riboflavin, and vitamin B6 (or 4000 percent, 3563 percent, and 3000 percent of our RDI of each, respectively), 350 milligrams of niacin (1750 percent), 1500 micrograms of folate (375 percent), 48.7 micrograms of vitamin B12 (812 percent), and 6.3 milligrams of pantothenic acid (63 percent). All of these vitamins play an important role in cell metabolism.

Immune-boosting properties

Research into the immune-stimulating properties of beta-glucans, a natural compound derived from the broken cell walls of oats, barley, fungus, and yeast, has been ongoing since the 1940s. Scientists have concluded that beta-glucans - found in nutritional yeast - activate macrophages, which are white blood cells that are our immune system's initial line of defense against infections and tumor growth. This is another reason why nutritional yeast is so good at guarding us from cancer and other serious diseases.

Sources for this article include:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20421639

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com

http://www.mindbodygreen.com

http://www.ecorazzi.com

Suzanne
Posted By: kland

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 05/24/13 06:39 PM

"48.7 micrograms of vitamin B12 (812 percent), "

Actually, nutritional yeast does not contain B12. According to fatfreevegan.com and other sites, B12 is only made by bacteria and archaea. Therefore yeast, a fungus, does not make it.

Many times, but not all times, nutritional yeast has B12 and other things added to it. Whether it's fluoridated water, iodized salt, or hydroxocobalaminized yeast, why not let the people determine whether they want to take an additional substance? Why should yeast (or soymilk) be the product of choice to have B12 added to it? Why not oat bran? What if oat bran did, and you didn't want to get too much B12 and so therefore reduced your yeast intake, but come to find out the variety of oat bran stopped adding it? Or what if you switch brands of yeast and the new yeast had less, more, or no B12 added? I mean, too many people rely on assumed and presumed contamination of products and think it's obligatory. Just ask the fluoridation proponents!

Why does it need to be added to something? Why not take a supplement? I say let the people choose.
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 05/30/13 08:51 AM

Some very good and relevant facts have been presented here in this topic. I will add an interesting one that follows along the line of kland's facts.

Seaweed has sometimes been claimed as a source of vitamin B-12. It can have a molecule similar to B-12, sometimes called B-12 "analogue." It does not produce the same results in humans as it might in a bacterium. We simply cannot benefit from it, and it may even block the receptor sites in our body from realB-12.

Let's hope they aren't fortifying yeast with a seaweed-derived B-12.

Here's an interesting link for more about it.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 06/06/13 04:33 AM

What about B-12 supplement tablets? Those real tiny ones?

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 06/06/13 06:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Daryl
What about B-12 supplement tablets? Those real tiny ones?
If you are going to take B-12 supplements, just make sure that they are not of the "cyanocobalamin" variety. Get the hydroxocobalamin, even if it's more expensive. The absorption rates between the two dramatically differ. The body will utilize very little, if any, of the B-12 in the cyanocobalamin--which may help explain why it can be significantly lower in price. You get what you pay for seems true again.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 06/06/13 04:31 PM

And how do we know whether a B-12 supplement is synthetic or from animal sources? (I've never taken one, as I sometimes use yogurt and eggs, but sometimes my blood tests show macrocytosis.)
Posted By: Johann

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 06/06/13 11:57 PM

British produced MARMITE claims to be 100% Vegetarian and it contains B12. It is distilled from yeast. I have a slice of bread with it every morning, and blood test indicate I have no need of additional B12. But it might not work for you.
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 06/07/13 12:21 AM

Hi pastor Johann, I don't have access to it here, and had never heard of it before. But, from what I read, the vitamin B12 is added to it during manufacture.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 06/07/13 01:44 AM

I'm going to call the factory for more information in the morning.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 06/07/13 12:15 PM

Cyanocobalamin is what is in the Marmite. This is converted in the body of most people into B 12 and millions of people use it that way, but it may not satisfy the consistency of certain individuals who require a special treatment. We are not all created equal and do not think the same way.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 06/07/13 01:02 PM

Johann,

It is true that we are not all the same on this issue. Mrs. White said that there are "a small minority" of people who do not need to use milk and eggs. My family is acquainted with just such a family who have always, throughout their entire lifetime, been strictly vegan and who, in spite of this, are stockily built and in excellent health.

B-12, as kland said, is not produced by yeast. It is, sometimes, added as a supplement. While attending one of our vegan-diet institutions for a year, my doctor prescribed B-12 shots, one a week. The school nurse gave me a shot of cyanocobalamin once a week throughout the year. Adhering strictly to that diet, I became anemic in about February or so of that school year. It was discovered that I had signs of megaloblastic anemia, resulting from B-12 deficiency. My doctor later learned of the inefficacy of cyanocobalamin. Now he recommends the other form.

At the time of my deficiency I had all of the classic signs. Numbness, tingling in extremities, fatigue, lack of taste and smell, little appetite, memory loss, etc. Three eggs a day for about three months brought me out of it.

Oh, and as it relates to this thread--the nutritional yeast was not served at that time in that institution, nor did they then use yeast to raise their bread. In the former case, they were concerned about promoting Candida, and in the latter--they didn't use any sugar, so the yeast had nothing to eat and the bread was unfit for consumption, forcing them to use a kind of baking powder instead.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: APL

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 06/07/13 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: gc
Mrs. White said that there are "a small minority" of people who do not need to use milk and eggs.
reference please. Have we not be around this corner before?
Originally Posted By: EGW
Animals are becoming more and more diseased, and it will not be long till the use of animal food will be given up by many besides our people. Foods that are healthful and life-sustaining are to be prepared so that men and women will not need to eat meat. The Lord will teach many in all parts of the world to combine fruits, grains, and vegetables into foods that will sustain life and will not bring disease. {KC 133.5}
Animal foods - meat, milk, eggs.
The light given me is that it will not be very long before we shall have to give up using any animal food. Even milk will have to be discarded. Disease is accumulating rapidly. The curse of God is upon the earth, because man has cursed it. The habits and practices of men have brought the earth into such a condition that some other food than animal food must be substituted for the human family. We do not need flesh food at all. God can give us something else. {AUCR, July 28, 1899 par. 15}
"Shortly" EVEN milk. By small minority? Nope.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 06/07/13 08:14 PM

During past centuries volcanic eruptions here in Iceland made it very difficult for farmers to obtain all the nutrition needed for consumption. Milk and milk products, either from cows or sheep, saved many lives.

Now more and more people are developing allergies to milk and milk products, and as our farmers are learning how to grow more and more vegetables, berries and fruit, these are becoming life savers for many. I do not know of any instances where milk and egg are needed to preserve life.

One animal product seems still rather essential to preserve health, and that is cod liver oil because of the lack of sunshine during the winter months. This is a needed source of vitamin D and prevents arthritis and rheumatism. Do you have a suggestion of a better source of vitamin D?

Here even strict vegetarians use this cod liver oil.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 06/11/13 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By: APL
Originally Posted By: gc
Mrs. White said that there are "a small minority" of people who do not need to use milk and eggs.
reference please. Have we not be around this corner before?
Yes, that's what I was thinking too!

Maybe he has discovered something to support that statement? Otherwise, this may be an example of when you like (fill in the blank), you will go to all kind of contortions to justify it, even maintaining your stance when pointed out by others that it is not supported.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 06/11/13 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Johann
During past centuries volcanic eruptions here in Iceland made it very difficult for farmers to obtain all the nutrition needed for consumption. Milk and milk products, either from cows or sheep, saved many lives.
One animal product seems still rather essential to preserve health, and that is cod liver oil because of the lack of sunshine during the winter months.
Was it volcanic eruptions or was it winter months which caused a lack of Vitamin D?

Maybe you could do a search and let us know how much sun exposure is needed to give adequate Vitamin D during the winter months at your latitude or location.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 07/21/13 06:00 PM

Here is a piece from the National Institute of Health that may help explain why vegans decline in mental capacity over time.

Originally Posted By: NIH
Health Risks from Excessive Folate
Large amounts of folic acid can correct the megaloblastic anemia, but not the neurological damage, that can result from vitamin B12 deficiency. Some experts have therefore been concerned that high folic acid intakes might "mask" vitamin B12 deficiency until its neurological consequences become irreversible. But anemia is no longer the basis for diagnosing vitamin B12 deficiency, so the focus of concern has shifted to the possibility that large amounts of folic acid could precipitate or exacerbate the anemia and cognitive symptoms associated with vitamin B12 deficiency, perhaps by increasing homocysteine or methylmalonic acid concentrations [2,40,77-80]. However, the high homocysteine and methylmalonic acid concentrations in people with both low vitamin B12 and high folate concentrations could be due to severe malabsorptive conditions or pernicious anemia rather than high folic acid intakes [81,82]. High blood folate concentrations do not appear to exacerbate vitamin B12 deficiency in healthy, young adults [83].

Basically, what is happening is this: the folate prevents the most noticeable symptoms of B12 deficiency, so that it goes undetected. The B12 was needful for the brain and nervous system. Since the more obvious symptoms of deficiency are absent, the brain and nervous system finally sustain permanent damage as a result of the lack of B12.

Consider that folate is present in high quantities in foods like Brussel's sprouts, nuts, beans, yeast and leafy green vegetables. There has further been a supplementation program in place which puts folate into things like flour, so that most people in America have adequate intake of folate. Vegans would easily be able to obtain sufficient folate. But their B12 levels might run dangerously low without their realizing it.

So, if you don't want those "cognitive symptoms associated with vitamin B12 deficiency," you might want something with some actual B12 in it. smile

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 07/21/13 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Here is a piece from the National Institute of Health that may help explain why vegans decline in mental capacity over time.

Large amounts of folic acid can correct the megaloblastic anemia, but not the neurological damage, that can result from vitamin B12 deficiency. Some experts have therefore been concerned that high folic acid intakes might "mask" vitamin B12 deficiency until its neurological consequences become irreversible. But anemia is no longer the basis for diagnosing vitamin B12 deficiency, so the focus of concern has shifted to the possibility that large amounts of folic acid could precipitate or exacerbate the anemia and cognitive symptoms associated with vitamin B12 deficiency, perhaps by increasing homocysteine or methylmalonic acid concentrations [2,40,77-80]. However, the high homocysteine and methylmalonic acid concentrations in people with both low vitamin B12 and high folate concentrations could be due to severe malabsorptive conditions or pernicious anemia rather than high folic acid intakes [81,82]. High blood folate concentrations do not appear to exacerbate vitamin B12 deficiency in healthy, young adults [83].

Basically, what is happening is this: the folate prevents the most noticeable symptoms of B12 deficiency, so that it goes undetected. The B12 was needful for the brain and nervous system. Since the more obvious symptoms of deficiency are absent, the brain and nervous system finally sustain permanent damage as a result of the lack of B12.

Consider that folate is present in high quantities in foods like Brussel's sprouts, nuts, beans, yeast and leafy green vegetables. There has further been a supplementation program in place which puts folate into things like flour, so that most people in America have adequate intake of folate. Vegans would easily be able to obtain sufficient folate. But their B12 levels might run dangerously low without their realizing it.

So, if you don't want those "cognitive symptoms associated with vitamin B12 deficiency," you might want something with some actual B12 in it. smile

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Green - do you know the difference between Folic Acid and Folate???

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 07/21/13 08:14 PM

Sure. But I'll quote from the NIH again, as you might respect the scientific source above my say-so.
Folate is a water-soluble B vitamin that is naturally present in some foods, added to others, and available as a dietary supplement. Folate, formerly known as folacin, is the generic term for both naturally occurring food folate and folic acid, the fully oxidized monoglutamate form of the vitamin that is used in dietary supplements and fortified foods. Folic acid consists of a p-aminobenzoic molecule linked to a pteridine ring and one molecule of glutamic acid. Food folates, which exist in various forms, contain additional glutamate residues, making them polyglutamates [1].

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 07/21/13 08:36 PM

Sure. But I'll quote from the NIH again, as you might respect the scientific source above my say-so.
Folate is a water-soluble B vitamin that is naturally present in some foods, added to others, and available as a dietary supplement. Folate, formerly known as folacin, is the generic term for both naturally occurring food folate and folic acid, the fully oxidized monoglutamate form of the vitamin that is used in dietary supplements and fortified foods. Folic acid consists of a p-aminobenzoic molecule linked to a pteridine ring and one molecule of glutamic acid. Food folates, which exist in various forms, contain additional glutamate residues, making them polyglutamates [1].

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Ah - did you read your quote? Folate is a "generic term". Really? So they are treating Folate and Folic Acid as being the same thing. But are they? NO. And there in lies the rub. The government thinks we need FOLIC acid in everything. But do we? NO. FOLIC acid is NOT FOLATE, though you NIH quote would like us to believe that they are the same thing. But don't take my word for it.
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/can-folic-acid-be-harmful/

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 07/21/13 08:44 PM

You're arguing with the wrong person. If you want to argue with the National Institute of Health, you'll have to write to them. smile

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 07/21/13 08:50 PM

Ah - you brought it up, but are you now saying your are ignorant of the differences?

The point is, that Folate and Folic acid are not the same. Look at the short video I posted. Folic Acid - an synthetic compound is associated with many bad things. If you THINK that Folic Acid and Folate are the same thing, then you badly mistaken.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 07/22/13 07:22 AM

Ah - you brought it up, but are you now saying your are ignorant of the differences?

The point is, that Folate and Folic acid are not the same. Look at the short video I posted. Folic Acid - an synthetic compound is associated with many bad things. If you THINK that Folic Acid and Folate are the same thing, then you badly mistaken.

APL,

Are you trying to illustrate your lack of B12? smile The subject was not about the distinction between terms. The subject was the fact that B12 deficiency can be masked, and many vegans may be short of B12 without realizing it. The result may be permanent impairment of the mental faculties and/or nervous system.

In my few years of observing such things, I have seen two things that seem to precipitate the onset of irrationality: mercury, and lack of B12. Mercury causes rages in addition to the loss of normal reasoning pathways. Lack of B12 seems to injure judgment ability. Both affect memory (so does loss of sleep).

This thread is about yeast. Yeast does not provide B12. Yeast provides folate. Folate may mask the detrimental effects of B12 deficiency until the damage done to the nervous system and mind has become permanent.

For this reason, it is recommended that those supplementing with folate also take a B12 supplement at the same time.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 07/22/13 09:01 AM

Green - there is a big difference between Folic Acid and Folate. and it has significant implications which FEW seem to realize. Your post said high Folate, then speaks of high Folic Acid. The two are NOT the same. Read YOUR post!
Originally Posted By: green
Large amounts of folic acid can correct the megaloblastic anemia, but not the neurological damage,

Hello - - don't take Folic Acid!!! If you are taking Folic Acid, you can't then make a blanket statement that Folate is the problem. Folic Acid is a synthetic compound. It is used in pills because it is more stable than Folate. Enzymatic activity that converts Folic Acid to Folate is very low, thus it can cause a build up of FOLIC acid. Folic acid indeed may cause the problem you claim. But not Folate. The take home message? Eat real food. Do take supplemental Folic acid. Your article and are interchanging the two terms, thus the confusion, and the wrong conclusion.
For this reason, it is recommended that those supplementing with folate also take a B12 supplement at the same time.
Wrong. Those that supplement with FOLIC acid, take B12. Better yet, don't take Folic acid. Eat your green.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 07/22/13 09:28 AM

APL,

Perhaps you need a B12 supplement. You still have not grasped the issue under discussion. Folic acid and/or folate do not cause any problems at all. They are not the problem.

They (I'm not going to argue about the fine details of their differences, though the NIH calls folic acid "folate," and I'm not going to argue with them either just now) prevent megaloblastic anemia.

How is this a problem? It isn't. The problem is not because of folate or lack thereof. Most vegans may even be getting too much folate if anything. The problem is that B12 deficiency would normally cause megaloblastic anemia as one of its early symptoms. The folate prevents this, thus leaving the B12 deficiency to "go to the brain," so to speak, unnoticed before causing nerve/brain tissue damage.

Take all the folate you want. Yeast will provide it.
Avoid B12 at your own risk. Yeast does not naturally have any.

Oh...if you're a woman of child-bearing age, be sure to get enough folate.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 07/22/13 04:45 PM

Green - - read the details - they are important. Your NIH article says of Folate, but it speaking of FOLIC acid. READ YOUR ARTICLE AGAIN. You CANNOT equate Folate with Folic acid. Your article is NOT addressing what you claim it is, in the snippet your provided. You may not argue with the printed article, but I do all the time. I have to in my line of work read the details. Your article repeatedly said FOLIC Acid, for which I agree!! Folate - no. Again - you CANNOT equate Folic Acid with Folate. Here is your snippet - are they REALLY speaking about Folate? OR are they speaking about Folic Acid?
Originally Posted By: posted by Green
Large amounts of folic acid can correct the megaloblastic anemia, but not the neurological damage, that can result from vitamin B12 deficiency. Some experts have therefore been concerned that high folic acid intakes might "mask" vitamin B12 deficiency until its neurological consequences become irreversible. But anemia is no longer the basis for diagnosing vitamin B12 deficiency, so the focus of concern has shifted to the possibility that large amounts of folic acid could precipitate or exacerbate the anemia and cognitive symptoms associated with vitamin B12 deficiency, perhaps by increasing homocysteine or methylmalonic acid concentrations [2,40,77-80]. However, the high homocysteine and methylmalonic acid concentrations in people with both low vitamin B12 and high folate concentrations could be due to severe malabsorptive conditions or pernicious anemia rather than high folic acid intakes [81,82]. High blood folate concentrations do not appear to exacerbate vitamin B12 deficiency in healthy, young adults [83].
So tell me again, what is this snippet in the article you posted talking about? Folate or Folic acid?

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 07/22/13 05:14 PM

Your article repeatedly said FOLIC Acid, for which I agree!! Folate - no.

So what you are saying is that Folic Acid would prevent megaloblastic anemia, thus masking the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency, but you do not believe that folate would?

To my view, either one should counter megaloblastic anemia. You have yet to even mention such, much less support anything other than your diatribe that is splitting hairs over the semantics.

Again, I think you need B12. Ask your doctor to check your blood levels for B12 at your next opportunity.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 07/22/13 05:17 PM

Look, the full article is here:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Folate-HealthProfessional/

It is written for doctors and health professionals.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 07/22/13 05:59 PM

APL,

Perhaps you need a B12 supplement.
Green, I can't remember for sure, but didn't you once say you had experienced a B12 deficiency in the past?

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 07/22/13 06:27 PM

So what you are saying is that Folic Acid would prevent megaloblastic anemia, thus masking the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency, but you do not believe that folate would?

To my view, either one should counter megaloblastic anemia. You have yet to even mention such, much less support anything other than your diatribe that is splitting hairs over the semantics.
GREEN - I'm speaking specifically of the article YOU posted. The snippet of the article you posted does not support your generalization of Folate.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 07/22/13 06:28 PM

Green - I am one.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 07/22/13 06:43 PM

Green - I am one.
Would you be one who believes the NIH and WHO are ones to go to for your health questions?

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 07/22/13 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: kland
Green - I am one.
Would you be one who believes the NIH and WHO are ones to go to for your health questions?
I am one who understands there is a lot of noise in the medical literature and the signal is sometimes hard to detect. I have seen in my lifetime a shift in the way medical research has been conducted in the US. In the 1970's, much of the research was performed in universities, often funded by the government. In the 1980's under Reagan, funding shifted to the private sector yet still done in universities. 1990's (i'm being very general with my dates) a further deterioration occurred with research not only funded by for-profit industry, but the research was performed by for-profit research firms. Negative studies are often never published due to the financial implications. Follow the money! I now understand the simplicity and effectiveness of the information that has been given to this church, and how it would be the most effective means to cut medical costs and reduce most chronic diseases. And it is Adventists that seem to be the most resistant to this message.

To keep with this thread, we don't need artificial supplements such as Folic acid if we eat our greens which are loaded with Folate. We may ("may") not need to worry about B12 if we were growing our own gardens and harvesting our own produce with B12 producing bacteria on them. Many populations have lived a long life with simple foods without taking any supplements. But if one is worried, take a B12 supplement. One only needs about 5 micrograms per day. Many supplements of B12 are 1000 micrograms. Yes, there are diseases where one lacks the intrinsic factor required to absorb B12, but that is not most of us.

As a certain LADY once wrote about using simple remedies, we would need not call a physician any sooner than they would call a lawyer.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 07/23/13 08:16 PM

That's interesting about where the money is coming from. I hadn't thought about a change over time. No wonder it seems strictly now money motivated! No wonder yet even additional vaccinations are being forcefully peddled.
Posted By: daylily

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/03/13 02:10 PM

Here is a link to an article that describes side effects of both types of B12. Now I don't know what to do! My husband takes a B12 shot once a month but he seems to need it more often. He only gets one dose a month from the pharmacy.

https://www.medify.com/treatments/compare/hydroxocobalamin-vs-vitamin-b-12

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/04/13 09:17 AM

That's not a very scientific write-up, although the studies may have been conducted well. For example, when they say 50% of people experience "pain," they don't tell you if that "pain" is from the needle during the injection or not. One has no way of qualifying those symptoms nor of distinguishing them from those of the B12 deficiency itself.

In other words, unless you are experiencing something untoward, I wouldn't worry too much. I don't know of any overdose possibility with B12--or any of the B-vitamins.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/26/13 10:33 AM

Folate is one of the B-vitamins. The following tells us what may happen to those who obtain sufficient folate but who do not get B-12 in their diet.

Originally Posted By: National Institutes of Health
Taking large amounts of folic acid might hide a vitamin B12 deficiency. Folic acid can correct the anemia but not the nerve damage caused by vitamin B12 deficiency. This can lead to permanent damage of the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. High doses of folic acid might also increase the risk of colorectal cancer and possibly other cancers in some people.

Most vegans are unaware of this risk, and the brain damage leads to a self-perpetuating condition as they believe, incorrectly, that their diet is superior to that of others.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/26/13 04:44 PM

Again - not the whole truth! Folic acid is what you take when you pop vitamin pills. Folate is what you get when you eat real food. They are NOT the same. So green, what was your article talking about? Eating real food or popping pills?

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/26/13 05:19 PM

Green: The following tells us what may happen to those who obtain sufficient folate but who do not get B-12 in their diet.

NIH: Taking large amounts of folic acid might hide a vitamin B12 deficiency.

I'm not going to place a bet that Green understands now...

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/26/13 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: daylily
Here is a link to an article that describes side effects of both types of B12. Now I don't know what to do! My husband takes a B12 shot once a month but he seems to need it more often. He only gets one dose a month from the pharmacy.

https://www.medify.com/treatments/compare/hydroxocobalamin-vs-vitamin-b-12
Looks to me from your link, B12 has < 1% of side effects. Notice the lower section is based upon web discussion forums. Non-controlled and biased. Who's going to report on a discussion forum other than those who have an "issue"? and 29% of who/what reported pain? What's the total?

A bigger question to ask yourself is, how did you husband come about needing shots and not supplements, and how do you know he needs more? I mean, I don't know if I need more or less. If there are symptoms, have other causes been ruled out? Have you talked to more than a few practicers? Many guess and say we'll try that and then try this and what can it hurt. Well, it can hurt you!

Unless there is something inherently wrong with your husband, my guess is there's something else going on and not to stop asking second opinions.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/26/13 05:38 PM

APL,

How much B12 do you get from "folate?"

I don't think you or kland understand this too well. Please tell me how you stop your B12 deficiency by getting "folate" versus "folic acid."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/26/13 05:48 PM

Green, we're talking about you swapping terms. That's misleading.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/26/13 05:53 PM

No, you're misleading to presume that brain damage is not caused by the masking of symptoms of B12 deficiency. No one has proven to me that the statement I provided is false. No one has proven to me that "folate" would mask the symptoms of megaloblastic anemia any less than would "folic acid."

Go for it, if you have such evidence. Let's see it. Until then, I trust that those whose minds have not been damaged by B12 deficiency will be able to grasp these concepts. It's too bad that those who need the truth the most seem most resistant to it.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/26/13 08:37 PM

No, you're misleading to presume that brain damage is not caused by the masking of symptoms of B12 deficiency. No one has proven to me that the statement I provided is false. No one has proven to me that "folate" would mask the symptoms of megaloblastic anemia any less than would "folic acid."

Go for it, if you have such evidence. Let's see it. Until then, I trust that those whose minds have not been damaged by B12 deficiency will be able to grasp these concepts. It's too bad that those who need the truth the most seem most resistant to it.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
I have shown you this in the past. You ignore it. Why? The problem is FOLIC acid is not the same as FOLATE. IF you take FOLIC acid, the enzyme that converts it to Folate in humans provides very little conversion. FOLIC acid supplementation IS associated with many diseases! Reread that last sentence. Eating REAL food provides FOLATE, that active form. IF you take FOLIC acid, you delude yourself that you are getting adequate FOLATE. You need to provide a study that looks at FOLATE, not FOLIC acid to make you conclusion valid.

Bailey SW, Ayling JE. The extremely slow and variable activity of dihydrofolate reductase in human liver and its implications for high folic acid intake. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009 Sep 8;106(36):15424-9. Epub 2009 Aug 24.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/26/13 09:12 PM

No, you're misleading to presume that brain damage is not caused by the masking of symptoms of B12 deficiency.

So if no one has proven one thing, even if so discussed by APL, you feel free to swap that term with a different term?

Do you agree that FOLIC acid is not the same as FOLATE? Or are you saying it doesn't matter because you wish to talk about something else?

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/27/13 09:01 AM

Do you agree that FOLIC acid is not the same as FOLATE? Or are you saying it doesn't matter because you wish to talk about something else?

Yes, I'm saying it doesn't matter, because neither one will provide B12, but both will mask the primary symptoms of B12 deficiency.

Of course, if you think "folate" is "better," then I suppose you should avoid it even more than the "folic acid," for it would do a better job of keeping you unaware of your B12 deficiency.

Eat some eggs. They are healthful.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/27/13 09:03 AM

I have shown you this in the past. You ignore it. Why? The problem is FOLIC acid is not the same as FOLATE. IF you take FOLIC acid, the enzyme that converts it to Folate in humans provides very little conversion. FOLIC acid supplementation IS associated with many diseases! Reread that last sentence. Eating REAL food provides FOLATE, that active form. IF you take FOLIC acid, you delude yourself that you are getting adequate FOLATE. You need to provide a study that looks at FOLATE, not FOLIC acid to make you conclusion valid.

Bailey SW, Ayling JE. The extremely slow and variable activity of dihydrofolate reductase in human liver and its implications for high folic acid intake. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009 Sep 8;106(36):15424-9. Epub 2009 Aug 24.

APL,

You continue to display your need of B12.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/27/13 04:34 PM

Yes, I'm saying it doesn't matter, because neither one will provide B12, but both will mask the primary symptoms of B12 deficiency.
Green, given that APL, myself, and any others specifically have argued for accuracy regarding this, is there some reason you are opposed to using the same terms as used in the research you quoted?

Or is swapping terms not misleading but merely a sign of an ongoing B12 deficiency? wink

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/27/13 04:46 PM

kland,

Do you get B12 from folate? No.
Do you get B12 from folic acid? No.
Do you get B12 from folinic acid? No.

Does your obsession with the terminology change the truth of this? No.

I have quoted from reputable websites. I have not originally provided these terms myself. The websites have done this. In case you have not recognized this heretofore, the FDA and likely most every governmental institution is in league with the pharmaceutical companies. Those companies aren't making their money from non-prescription, over-the-counter, vitamins. They cannot, therefore, be expected to support the vitamin industry. On the contrary, for them to show a clear bias against supplements is to be expected. Folic acid is frequently the form of vitamin B9 found in supplements. It may be as natural a form of vitamin B9 as ascorbic acid is a form of vitamin C.

In the case of folic acid, the liver is able to convert it to folate that is usable by the body. It therefore becomes the same thing. Where it is considered harmful is when it is taken in larger quantities than that of which the liver is capable of converting, allowing folic acid itself, unconverted, to be present in the bloodstream in unnatural quantities. I have not found any clear correlation of such a condition to any specific disease or harm. But such is suspected by some health professionals, and may be a reality.

In any case, folate in the bloodstream (which the folic acid is converted to by the liver) prevents megaloblastic anemia--the first sign of B12 deficiency. This leaves B12-deficient sufferers to "cognitive impairment," or "permanent damage of the brain," without their awareness of what is happening.

THAT is the big danger of veganism, and is one of the dangers of vitamin B9 supplementation in the absence of a source of B12. In other words, using Brewer's yeast/nutritional yeast, a source of B9, may contribute to brain damage.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/27/13 08:28 PM

Green, you are so dead set in running where God has not called you in destroying the health message, that you cannot stay focused on the conversation.

Green, given that APL, myself, and any others specifically have argued for accuracy regarding this, is there some reason you are opposed to using the same terms as used in the research you quoted?

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/27/13 08:50 PM

[quote=green]In the case of folic acid, the liver is able to convert it to folate that is usable by the body.[/quote}Clearly you have ignored the science I presented. Very little Folic acid is converted to Folate. THAT is why you cannot compare the two. Green, you seems to have forgotten this little video.

FOLATE and FOLIC ACID are NOT the same... Taking Folic acid IS ASSOCIATED with a number of diseases. Folate, in real food is NOT. A study that looks at FOLIC acid cannot be interpreted to mean FOLATE based on the newer research showing such poor conversion of FOLIC acid to FOLATE. FOLIC acid may indeed mask issues of B12. Stop taking FOLIC acid! Do eat FOLATE from foliage. And if you eat your vegetables from your own garden, guess what happens to your B12 intake!

Secondarily, your continued attack on the vegan diet is not sustained by EGW. The time will come to give up all food of animal origin, including eggs. The Lord will provide in all parts of the world.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/28/13 05:58 AM

APL,

You speak without moderation. Ellen White was moderate on this issue. You are not. You are advocating a diet which Ellen White did not advocate. She never once said that a vegan diet was better. On the contrary, she said it was an extreme diet, and that the doctrine of dispensing with milk and eggs should not be taught. She said that when the time comes when we are forced to give up these things, the Lord would reveal it.

So the question is: Has God told you to give them up? Or have you run ahead of God and thought you'd better just do it anyway?

APL, regarding folate--how do you get B12 from it? Let's suppose you don't get a single picogram of "folic acid" in your diet (for the sake of argument). Does or does not folate mask the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency? In other words, does it prevent the megaloblastic anemia associated with a lack of B12?

The literature I'm reading suggests that this is indeed the case. The caveat here is that some people would not get that much folate in their diet, because they do not eat sufficient green leafy vegetables. Here's where being a vegan comes in. Most vegans eat plenty of green leafy vegetables, and therefore, get sufficient folate to mask the symptoms of B12 deficiency.

To make the long story short, the following points are true:

1) Folate masks the symptoms of B12 deficiency.
2) B12 is only available from animal sources, and perhaps from some supplements--it is NOT available in vegan sources, including yeast.
3) Those who get sufficient folate but who are vegan do not get B12 and may not realize their deficiency.
4) A minority of people can live on a vegan diet, according to Mrs. White, without harm.
5) B12 deficiency causes permanent brain damage.
6) THEREFORE: A majority of those who arbitrarily become vegan will develop brain damage and/or "cognitive impairment."

I have associated with numerous vegans in this condition, and they simply cannot see their danger. They cannot be reasoned with. Their reasoning goes awry on both their extreme positions on health reform (becomes "deform" for them, per Ellen White) and in other matters related to spirituality. This topic is quite demonstrative of what happens when the mind is impaired by lack of B12. The vegans posting here continue to demonstrate the sagacity of Mrs. White in telling us to use milk and eggs as long as possible.

You see, Mrs. White's focus was upon only giving up the milk and eggs at the last minute. Many vegans today try to see how soon they can do so, instead of the other way around.

When the time comes, and God tells me to give them up, I'll be quite happy to do so. Until then, I must take care of my body temple by providing it what is needful for health and strength.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/28/13 08:33 AM

doctrine of dispensing with milk and eggs should not be taught.
The diet reform should be progressive. As disease in animals increases, the use of milk and eggs will become more and more unsafe. An effort should be made to supply their place with other things that are healthful and inexpensive. The people everywhere should be taught how to cook without milk and eggs, so far as possible, and yet have their food wholesome and palatable. {MH 320.2}

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 08/28/13 12:16 PM

I'm moving this discussion, as it is now leaving the yeast topic, to the thread on veganism which I have started.

back

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Nutritional Yeast - 09/03/13 07:51 PM

Can you link us to your new thread on veganism, or is this the link?

http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=155719&page=1
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church