Vegan Patties

Posted By: Rick H

Vegan Patties - 07/06/13 01:34 PM

My wife came up with a vegan patty which has helped me with my diabetes. Here is the recipe she wrote out for me to share and she varies the amounts of the ingredient's depending on if one patty or 20 for a potluck so she uses rule of thumb: blush

So for a slew of patties...

A load of Oatmeal

A bunch of Pecans grinded or Pecan meal

A good amount of refried beans or cooked lentils

A large Onion chopped fine

A full Garlic grinded or chopped

A shake of Italian Spices like Oregano etc..

A pinch of Olive Oil.....

Then mix together and shape into a round patty and bake till crispy or can fry for 5 minutes.

Put into a wrap with lettuce, tomatoes, and other vegie fixings and wait for the flavor to make your mouth water.......
Posted By: daylily

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/06/13 02:20 PM

That sounds good! I can't eat onions or garlic so I always have to sub some other herb or seasoning and I'm sure they never taste quite as good as the original with the onions and garlic! I used to eat them and loved them.
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/07/13 08:17 PM

I can't eat onions and garlic either, so this means I can't eat anywhere, for everybody uses them to cook.

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/08/13 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Rosangela
I can't eat onions and garlic either, so this means I can't eat anywhere, for everybody uses them to cook.
Why are onions and garlic so problematic as they have many good affects, are they too strong or is it people don't like them?
Posted By: kland

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/08/13 08:07 PM

Yes, I too would like to know what, "I can't eat onions or garlic", means.

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/09/13 12:52 PM

Well some people cant eat or drink dairy products because they are missing the enzyme's that break them down, might be the same with onions and garlic.

But they have health benefits which make them important in our diet.."a recent study showed that less than one clove a day may cut prostate-cancer risk in half, and other research links garlic to a lowered incidence of stomach, colon and possibly breast cancers, that all depends on its preparation, says John A. Milner, chief of the Nutritional Science Research Group at the National Cancer Institute."

"onions are an ace ally in your fight against disease. A prized member of the lily family, they lavish you with health benefits while adding oodles of taste to your food.

A quick glimpse at their incredible health benefits:
The phytochemicals in onions improve the working of Vitamin C in the body, thus gifting you with improved immunity.
Onions contain chromium, which assists in regulating blood sugar.
For centuries, onions have been used to reduce inflammation and heal infections.
Do you enjoy sliced onions with your food? If yes, rejoice! Raw onion encourages the production of good cholesterol (HDL), thus keeping your heart healthy.
A powerful compound called quercetin in onions is known to play a significant role in preventing cancer.
Got bitten by a honeybee? Apply onion juice on the area for immediate relief from the pain and burning sensation.
Onions scavenge free radicals, thereby reducing your risk of developing gastric ulcers.
Those bright green tops of green onions are rich in Vitamin A, so do use them often."

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/8-great-reasons-to-eat-more-onions.html#ixzz2YXbIjfgR
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/09/13 01:03 PM

Onions and garlic are the two most sulfuric foods available to those on a vegan diet. Sulfur is a detoxifier. It helps to chelate out poisons from the body. If one has a significant amount of toxins in the body, eating high-sulfur foods like garlic may mobilize them in the body, and cause all sorts of adverse reactions. Similarly, toxins can be stored in fat cells in the body, and it can make a person feel ill while losing weight, because the toxins are then released back into the bloodstream.

Sometimes, an adverse reaction to something like onion or garlic can indicate a high body-burden of toxins. This is not true, however, for every case. Some people may simply have an allergy to them, or perhaps there are reactions to the onions or garlic such as painful bloating or gas. Raw onions will likely produce more of this sort of problem than cooked ones. Either form will have nearly the same amount of sulfur, however, so if one wishes to have the benefit of the sulfur without the side effects of the raw onion, try cooking it.

For some reason, eggs are usually tolerated by the body better than onions or garlic. Eggs have about ten times as much sulfur, ounce for ounce, as garlic, and it is much more digestible. This is why Mrs. White recommends eggs for removing poisons from the body.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/09/13 06:34 PM

Doesn't seem very specific. Hopefully one who made the statement will say why "they can't eat" onions or garlic.

But there does seem to be a few contradictions with what you said. If the reason people don't eat them is because they chelate poisons out of the body, wouldn't that be all the more reason they should eat them?

Second, if their sulfur content causes a high body-burden of toxins which causes an adverse reaction, then why wouldn't eating eggs with ten times the sulfur content (which you said Ellen White recommends for removing poisons, implying above all other things), cause an even higher body-burden of toxins. Something does not compute here. Other than you stated previously that you think eating eggs are necessary....

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/09/13 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: kland
Doesn't seem very specific. Hopefully one who made the statement will say why "they can't eat" onions or garlic.

But there does seem to be a few contradictions with what you said. If the reason people don't eat them is because they chelate poisons out of the body, wouldn't that be all the more reason they should eat them?

Second, if their sulfur content causes a high body-burden of toxins which causes an adverse reaction, then why wouldn't eating eggs with ten times the sulfur content (which you said Ellen White recommends for removing poisons, implying above all other things), cause an even higher body-burden of toxins. Something does not compute here. Other than you stated previously that you think eating eggs are necessary....

kland,

Those are good questions. As to the first one, being that eating high-sulfur foods should help people who have the toxins, you are right. The problem is, if you have the toxins, and if you eat the onions and the sulfur mobilizes those toxins back into the bloodstream and you get a migraine headache, how inclined would you be to feel that eating the onions was healthful in your case?

This is a very real condition with some patients. I have an uncle who could attest to this. He took some other steps to get certain toxins out of his body, and now he can actually smell an onion without getting a headache. He had no desire to ease into the onions, but if the onions only caused a problem on account of their sulfur, and not from any allergy or other food-sensitivity issue, then in theory a person could start with very small doses and gradually work up to eating more.

Your second question regarding the body-burden of toxins seems to not fully comprehend what I intended to express earlier. The sulfur does not "cause" a high body-burden of toxins. The sulfur only helps to mobilize those toxins in the body so that they can be excreted more readily. The sulfur is not itself a toxin. As for eating eggs in place of onions, it has something to do with the form in which the sulfur is packaged. Eggs are more tolerable for many people. They have B-vitamins, enzymes, proteins, etc. which are not in onions. In fact, any form of meat also has high sulfur levels.

Eggs and meat have a more usable-form of sulfur in them. Inorganic sulfur would be useless to the body, a toxin itself, in fact. But there are various forms of organic sulfur, and they can be found in various enzymes, amino acids, and proteins. A site I found that gives more detail about this from an expert in the field is this one: http://www.drlwilson.com/ARTICLES/SULFUR.htm.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/10/13 12:26 AM

Quote:

They are nauseating to me (both raw and cooked). According to my mother, this happens since I was first introduced to them as a baby.

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/10/13 05:44 PM

Quote:

They are nauseating to me (both raw and cooked). According to my mother, this happens since I was first introduced to them as a baby.
You mean they make you vomit or you find them repulsive?

If they're much like some find eating peas or broccoli, then it is merely a matter of training. I never cared for spinach, but it was cooked down to a melted mess and vinegar poured over it. Later, I tried fresh spinach and couldn't find any resemblance and very much liked it. Maybe you could try different varieties, different ways, small amounts at first. Some say the leeks and scallions are milder. There is a wide variety of the Allium genius and maybe you can find something you like. I don't like cabbage, but find collards much acceptable.

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/10/13 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
As for eating eggs in place of onions, it has something to do with the form in which the sulfur is packaged.
Ok, maybe you weren't saying what you said.

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/10/13 10:55 PM

Quote:
You mean they make you vomit or you find them repulsive?

I find them completely repulsive - I can't stand even the smell of them.

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/11/13 11:30 PM

Based upon all the good they do, do you have any desire to change your attitude towards them? I know someone who I attempted to interest in eating greens. He said he didn't really care for them. He's on oxygen now. Not saying greens at that time would have prevented it, but saying the attitude is most likely what got him in the position he is. His like or dislike of greens had nothing to do with whether he should eat them.

Once you decide to eat something, like or not like, but because it's good for you, you can find ways and means of working up to them.

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/12/13 07:24 AM

Onions aren't the only source of nutrition. Strict Buddhists live without them entirely, because they are considered one of the "five pungent herbs" thought to arouse desire, and therefore to be avoided. Garlics are also avoided.

So, through this teaching, the devil has his way of toxing out the human body, and making the mind less receptive to truth. A toxic person (and I mean this in relationship to one's health, not demeanor) frequently loses first an ability to reason well, and often becomes more fanatical in his or her beliefs. This is very instrumental, then, in preventing them from being receptive to truth. They tend to become dogmatic. The next level is actual disorders of the mind that cause such things as memory loss, ADHD, personality disorders, narcissism, nervous disorders, and a host of other ailments, depending on the specific toxin levels and toxin combinations involved.

Where I presently work, thankfully, the Buddhists are not strict, and 99% of them eat meat. This helps to provide them a source of sulfur, and their toxic buildup is far less. In some places (other countries), the Buddhists are strict, and some of them do suffer health problems as a result.

The devil has many ways to break us down. Beliefs, eating habits, environmental problems, cultures, and lifestyle factors all play significant roles.

Interestingly, the children of Israel were rebuked for lusting after the leeks and onions and garlic of Egypt. God was providing manna. Onions aren't the be-all-and-end-all solution to health issues. In fact, Mrs. White never once recommended onions for the removal of toxins/poisons from the body in the way that she presented eggs. Eggs are a superior option.

Mrs. White does say this about onions...
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Again, there is great virtue in well-cooked onions. Ask Edson White; he can tell you of the good that onions will do. {14MR 339.2}

But she also says this...
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The scent of cooking had full access to these rooms with no current of air to take away the nauseating smell of ham, pork, onions, cabbage, and all kinds of scents. If I had not heretofore been most thoroughly disgusted with pork, I should have been [so] now. I could scarcely refrain from vomiting. I became sick and faint, but my good daughter Mary opened the window as far as possible and moved our bed so that the head of it was close by the window, the bed being quite nice. We slept well and felt refreshed in the morning, notwithstanding unpleasant odors. {11MR 141.1}

Apparently, Mrs. White also found onions to be "nauseating." Interestingly, cabbage is also mentioned in that category, and it also happens to be relatively high in sulfur. Durian is "nauseating" and/or "disgusting" to many people, particularly its odor. This is related, again, to sulfur.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/12/13 04:07 PM

Onions aren't the only source of nutrition. Strict Buddhists live without them entirely, because they are considered one of the "five pungent herbs" thought to arouse desire, and therefore to be avoided. Garlics are also avoided.

So, through this teaching [not eating onions], the devil has his way of toxing out the human body, and making the mind less receptive to truth.
Green, do not see the contradictions after contradictions you make? Or do you see them, but see no problem with having contradictions?

"Onions aren't the only source of nutrition."
"So, through this teaching, the devil has his way of toxing out the human body"

One, you said that there are other ways of getting nutrition, and the topic at hand is to eliminate toxins.

Next, you say that the devil has taught the Buddhists to not eat onions leading them to become toxic.

dunno

Quote:
Where I presently work, thankfully, the Buddhists are not strict, and 99% of them eat meat. This helps to provide them a source of sulfur, and their toxic buildup is far less.
But your real point is that people need to eat Meat isn't it?

Quote:
In fact, Mrs. White never once recommended onions for the removal of toxins/poisons from the body in the way that she presented eggs. Eggs are a superior option.
And Eggs!

But "superior"? Really. To put it in your terms, show where Ellen White says that eggs are a superior option.

Quote:
Apparently, Mrs. White also found onions to be "nauseating."
Wrong! She found the scents of cooking in an enclosed and non-aired out house to be nauseating. What else does she say about airing out a house regardless of whether cooking or not?

Quote:
The devil has many ways to break us down. Beliefs, eating habits, environmental problems, cultures, and lifestyle factors all play significant roles.
That's for sure, isn't it? And with you, it's meat and eggs?
Posted By: APL

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/15/13 09:16 PM

Sulfur - hm. Does it depend on how one gets their sulfur? Sure does sound like Green is saying we have to eat meat!

One might find the following article that looks at the ratio of sulfur containing amino acids in foods and which one are associated with human disease.

http://precedings.nature.com/documents/4641/version/1

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/15/13 11:48 PM

I don't have any kind of sulfur deficiency at all and my health is very good. Besides, as can be seen here, Brazil nuts or simply peanuts are a much richer source of sulfur than onions and garlic.
Posted By: APL

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/16/13 12:28 AM

I'm not pushing sulfur, Green is. Most of us do not have sulfur deficiencies...

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/16/13 12:52 AM

Onions and garlic may be very good for health, but I don't believe they are the source of some kind of element or substance that can't be found anywhere else.

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/16/13 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: APL
I'm not pushing sulfur, Green is. Most of us do not have sulfur deficiencies...
Yes, it was news to me that the benefits of onions and garlic were due to its sulfur content.

Now if we could find a beneficial fruit or vegetable with a high nitrate level, then we could compare it to meat and say meat has more and therefore conclude meat is a superior option!

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/16/13 04:56 PM

I don't have any kind of sulfur deficiency at all and my health is very good. Besides, as can be seen here, Brazil nuts or simply peanuts are a much richer source of sulfur than onions and garlic.

Rosangela,

It is likely true that nuts are higher, percentage-wise, in sulfur. However, how many nuts does one eat at a time? On the other hand, few people sit down to a bowl of boiled onions or garlic either.

If you want more sulfur, pick something that has large amounts of it that can be eaten in quantity.

Sulfur is not so much needed to treat a sulfur deficiency as to help the body expel toxins. If one chooses to research this, there is plenty of information to back this up. Again, not every form of sulfur is useful. Sulfur in the water, for example, won't help at all, and may even be harmful. There is a distinct difference between bioavailable elements (organic) and inorganic forms of those same elements.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/16/13 05:13 PM

Onions and garlic may be very good for health, but I don't believe they are the source of some kind of element or substance that can't be found anywhere else.
True. Eating a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, nuts and grains prepared in as a simple manner is best for health. But when you start eliminating that variety because you don't like something and unwilling to explore other options of the category which would not be so disagreeable, it is rather restricting. About 750 species eliminated from your diet without trying. frown

Re: Vegan Patties - 07/16/13 05:17 PM

However, how many nuts does one eat at a time? On the other hand, few people sit down to a bowl of boiled onions or garlic either.

If you want more sulfur, pick something that has large amounts of it that can be eaten in quantity.
Ummm.... did you have in mind..... a large steak platter?

(Still laughing at the idea that people don't eat a large amount of nuts at one time!)
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church