What does the Bible say about the Shape of the Earth?

Posted By: Daryl

What does the Bible say about the Shape of the Earth? - 07/09/18 03:19 AM

What does the Bible say about the shape of the Earth?

Is the Earth flat, is it round, is it a sphere, or what?
Posted By: dedication

Re: What does the Bible say about the Shape of the Earth? - 07/09/18 08:00 AM

The Bible doesn't go into a scientific explanation of the shape of the earth.

There are texts that speak of the earth as "a circle". Isaiah 40:22
There are texts that speak of the earth having four corners. Isaiah 11:12, Rev. 7:1

There are texts that say earth has foundations and is immovable. Ps. 104:5
There are other texts that the earth hangs on nothing. Job 26:7

God did not reveal the shape of the earth in scripture, but that doesn't mean we can't know what shape it is.

The shape of our Earth is not an abstract idea, or a theological idea, it is a concrete reality, one that can be measured and studied, photographed and viewed. And there really is no question, it is obviously a round globe (maybe not perfectly round, but a round globe nevertheless).
Posted By: kland

Re: What does the Bible say about the Shape of the Earth? - 07/10/18 12:14 AM

Flat earthers alert!!!

Daryl, it sounds like some more feast keeping sacred name movement people are trying to lead you around by the nose. I had marked the following link in the past and thought it had a nice illustration of the "ice wall". But I don't see it now and I tried finding it on their site, but have quickly lost interest. Here's some you might be referring to:
https://www.worldslastchance.com/biblical-christian-beliefs/flat-earth-letting-go-of-the-globe.html

https://www.worldslastchance.com/ecourses/courses/flat-earth-the-bible-truth-ecourse.html

Enjoy!

But keep in mind, their purpose is to destroy the Sabbath.
Posted By: kland

Re: What does the Bible say about the Shape of the Earth? - 07/10/18 01:50 AM

I just tried searching "day begins dawn". But try with "day begins evening", without quotes. It's amazing how much the feast keeping sacred namers have infiltrated things! I don't recall finding that just a few years ago. Have Adventists not been adequately giving the Sabbath truth and so created this void that is being filled to overflowing?
Posted By: James Peterson

Re: What does the Bible say about the Shape of the Earth? - 07/10/18 05:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Daryl
What does the Bible say about the shape of the Earth?

Is the Earth flat, is it round, is it a sphere, or what?

It says it's flat. And I agree.

When I look around me, as far as my eye could see, I see a level field with interesting geographic features: in some places flatland, in others, hills or caves or mountains or valleys. Then I look up at the heavens and I see the curve of the sky dome downwards like half a sphere covering the circle of earth around me. In that sky dome, the sun and moon rise and set and the stars move about in the heavens.

Speak to me of that world and I would understand you perfectly; but I don't see nor understand when you say I'm on a ball spinning around at half km/sec, suspended in space hurtling around the sun at 30 km/sec. And I can sleep soundly at nights? Impossible!

///

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church