WATERING DOWN BAPTISM

Posted By: CMedley

WATERING DOWN BAPTISM - 01/26/01 11:24 PM

Few Christian rituals have the rich symbolism and witnessing potential of baptism by immersion, says James Coffin. However, Coffin believes the ceremony could become dangerously diluted in the Adventist Church.
You can read Coffin's compelling insights on the Review's website at http://www.adventistreview.org

Carlos Medley
ADVENTIST REVIEW

Posted By: Andrew Marttinen

Re: WATERING DOWN BAPTISM - 03/06/01 10:40 PM

Excellent article. This should be read by all pastors and evangelists. I've rebaptised a few people--but not 5th or 6th timers!

There was a man who was baptised as a teenager over 30 years earlier who requested baptism after going back into the "world" soon after his first baptism. I baptised him.

I also remember a church where a new evangelist will come every 2 or 3 years and rebaptize half the congregation. They would then make a habit of staying away from church until the next revivalist/evangelist came to town.

If someone questions whether or not to be rebaptized, I usually point to the Ordinances as an appropriate symbol of "cleansing" after one has been washed (Baptized).

Of course, we must be careful not to turn footwashing into an Adventist version of performing penance!

------------------
Be glad for all God is planning for you. Be patient in trouble, and always be prayerful. Rom. 12:12 NLT

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church