Chorus
It seems today the Scandalon offends no one at all
The image we present can be stepped over
Could it be that we are like the others long ago
Will we ever learn that all who come must stumble
Repeat Chorus
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: Song text - 06/06/09 12:20 PM

It's been more than three years since your post, and surprisingly, no responses. I have a difficult time with those lyrics. They're sacrilegious. But then, I've never gotten into much of the "name brand" music out there called "Christian."

As for the title of this song...it is the song itself which is the "scandalon," and I am also surprised, with its author, that such scandalous music should "[offend] no one at all." It offends me.

As Christians, we are counseled NOT to become a stumbling block for others. Why would we think Jesus was such a thing? Perish the thought, and banish such so-called music.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: Colin

Re: Song text - 06/06/09 06:17 PM

No, Green, I don't think it's sacrilegious: it's saying that virtually everyone will reject Christ, while many will accept him - be broken.

It finishes by saying that today the world is so irrelegious that God's truth in Christ doesn't hit you in the face like it used to, and can it be shaped to impact, now.
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Song text - 06/06/09 07:30 PM

Quote:
No, Green, I don't think it's sacrilegious: it's saying that virtually everyone will reject Christ, while many will accept him - be broken.

Yes, that's correct.

Romans 9:33 As it is written: "Behold, I lay in Zion a stumbling stone and rock of offense [skandalon, in Greek], And whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame."

1 Corinthians 1:23 but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block [skandalon in Greek] and to the Greeks foolishness,

These words are translated as “scandal” in Portuguese. I suppose in English this wouldn’t make sense.
Posted By: D R

Re: Song text - 06/07/09 05:22 AM

again it is interesting to see the "rejection" of "music" by Christians taht do not agree with the sound or lyrics because "they" do not understan them or do not open their minds to see the profoundness in some lyrics.

As for not being a "stumbling block" We are all stumbling blocks to someone...
Posted By: crater

Re: Song text - 06/07/09 12:10 PM

Thanks for the greek translation Rosangela. helps to make sense of the title.

A couple of more text on this are Is. 8: 12-14 and 1 Pet. 2 (mainly vs 7 & 8)

You can listen to the music and words on youtube: here is the sight.
Michael Card Scandalon

I am no connoisseur of music, and It has been a long time since I listened to PInk Floyd, but for some reason that is what came to mind when I listened to this song. Maybe because of some of the background intricacies?

I listened to another Michael Card song while on youtube and found the rather simple song pleasant to listen to, The Wedding
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: Song text - 06/07/09 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: The Bible
And shall say, Cast ye up, cast ye up, prepare the way, take up the stumblingblock out of the way of my people. (Isaiah 57:14, KJV)

Thou shalt not curse the deaf, nor put a stumbling-block before the blind, but shalt fear thy God: I am the LORD. (Leviticus 19:14, KJV)

Son of man, these men have set up their idols in their heart, and put the stumblingblock of their iniquity before their face: should I be enquired of at all by them? (Ezekiel 14:3, KJV)

Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. (Romans 14:13, KJV)

He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. (1 John 2:10, KJV)

But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication. (Revelation 2:14, KJV)

In my search for the word "stumblingblock," I also noticed that Jesus is never called this. In contrast, the preaching of the crucifixion is.

If we are a stumblingblock to "someone," as BBD has said, then we are doing wrong according to the scriptures.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: Colin

Re: Song text - 06/07/09 03:58 PM

Yes, Jesus is the rock, but those who are not broken by it stumble over it and fall.

The foolishness of belief is rejected by most.

Haven't listened to the song, btw.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church