Leonard Cohen's song Hallelujah, what do you think about this song??

Posted By: D R

Leonard Cohen's song Hallelujah, what do you think about this song?? - 09/11/08 02:32 AM

Hello I am very curious about what you all think about Leonard Cohen's song "Hallelujah". You can watch the video on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf36v0epfmI

The Lyrics are as follows but there have been at least 10 different lyric versions!

"Hallelujah"

Now I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you
To a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

Baby I have been here before
I know this room, I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew you.
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
Love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

There was a time you let me know
What's really going on below
But now you never show it to me, do you?
And remember when I moved in you
The holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

You say I took the name in vain
I don't even know the name
But if I did, well really, what's it to you?
There's a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
The holy or the broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Leonard Cohen's song Hallelujah, what do you think about this song?? - 09/12/08 09:40 PM

Pretty depressing, that's for sure. I don't see what "hallelujah" has to do with it. The lyrics do not say anything worthy saying "hallelujah" about. It should say, "Have mercy on me, Lord."
Posted By: crater

Re: Leonard Cohen's song Hallelujah, what do you think about this song?? - 09/13/08 10:23 AM

Although Cohne's rather dark song / poem frequently contains the word Hallelujah, and some leading characters from the Torah are referenced in the lyrics, I wouldn't consider it a song of praise to Jehovah. I think it is a secular song and it has been preformed by a number of secular music artist. I thought there was some sexual overtones as well. I think that it would definitely be inappropriate to for christian worship and praise.

Re: Leonard Cohen's song Hallelujah, what do you think about this song?? - 09/14/08 05:56 AM

I appreciate your comments, anyone else have a view?

Re: Leonard Cohen's song Hallelujah, what do you think about this song?? - 09/14/08 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: BeachBubbaDan (BBD)
I appreciate your comments, anyone else have a view?

Can I ask why you posted the "song"? Do you have a take on it?

I wouldn't recommend that anyone listen to it, as a "Christian song"; though the title may give that impression. Certain verses kept intruding into my thoughts yesterday. (couldn't get the song out of my head ). So I ended up giving the song more consideration than I had intended. In this frame work, I have come to see it as a rebellious song. Though I am in the dark as to whom the song is addressing; it does seem to reflect some of Cohen's early upbringing.

Quote:
Like many other Jewish families with names like Cohen, Katz, and Kagan, Cohen's family claimed descent from the Kohanim: "I had a very Messianic childhood," he told Richard Goldstein in 1967. "I was told I was a descendant of Aaron, the high priest."[3] He attended Herzliah High School, where he studied with poet Irving Layton. from Wikipedia
Posted By: asygo

Re: Leonard Cohen's song Hallelujah, what do you think about this song?? - 09/18/08 06:07 PM

The words are too vague to teach anything concrete. And what is clear doesn't seem to be the kind of thing I would want to learn.

As for the music, it makes the Beatles seem like Bach in comparison. It's certainly nothing to write home about.

Re: Leonard Cohen's song Hallelujah, what do you think about this song?? - 06/07/09 05:17 AM

cool to see other peoples thoghts on this song. I have listened to this song many times and I am always drawn to say "Hallelujah" with reverence after Leonard's presentation.
"And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah"

Praise God that we will stand before him in all of our unworthyness and that Jesus our advocate will be standing in front of us! For that I say Hallelujah

Re: Leonard Cohen's song Hallelujah, what do you think about this song?? - 06/07/09 10:47 AM

BBD,

I have to say I am a bit disappointed.

After waiting nearly nine months for you to give your promised take on the song, is that all that you have to say about the song? confused

I was expecting some kind of revelation or insight that you had on the song! laugh

Nice to see you back. smile

Re: Leonard Cohen's song Hallelujah, what do you think about this song?? - 04/24/10 05:00 AM

hmmmm I am still contemplating smile actually I have not written my thoughts/feelings on this but hey maybe one day I will take the time to go through this...

Re: Leonard Cohen's song Hallelujah, what do you think about this song?? - 05/06/11 07:33 AM

yikes time does fly and yes I do still want to write my feelings/insight on this song, it has impressed upon me a joy and desire to give the words on my tongue to Him, with true Hallelujah.
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Leonard Cohen's song Hallelujah, what do you think about this song?? - 05/06/11 06:41 PM

The verses are miserable, but the chorus is awesome.
Posted By: JAK

Re: Leonard Cohen's song Hallelujah, what do you think about this song?? - 05/06/11 10:37 PM

The song is an absolute masterpiece, though personally I prefer the version done by k.d.lang.

What does it mean? If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand.
Posted By: gordonb1

Re: Leonard Cohen's song Hallelujah, what do you think about this song?? - 05/07/11 04:39 PM

Unfortunately, many showpeople ("entertainers") say things they don't mean. Singers, actors, athletes, even some preachers. This song certainly seems inspired, but not by God. Bible stories are often used to sell the world's goods. Leonard Cohen (Kohen the Hebrew word for priest) is a Zen Buddhist practitioner and a reputed ladies' man.

Re: Leonard Cohen's song Hallelujah, what do you think about this song?? - 05/07/11 05:50 PM

Your point being...
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church