Pupil appeals over 'Harry Potter' exam question

Posted By: John H.

Pupil appeals over 'Harry Potter' exam question - 11/02/04 04:09 PM

quote:
Pupil appeals over Harry Potter "witchcraft"
Mon 1 November, 2004 13:18

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - A South African schoolboy has appealed to education authorities after refusing to answer an exam question on Harry Potter because he believes the best-selling children's' books promote witchcraft.

Eighteen-year-old John Smit did not answer a comprehension question on a review of one of J.K. Rowling's books on the boy wizard, worth 30 percent of his English exam.

"He wouldn't answer it because it supports witchcraft, and we're against witchcraft ... the Bible is against witchcraft," Smit's mother, who did not wish to give her first name, told Reuters on Monday.

The family has written to provincial director of examinations to complain. Authorities have yet to respond.

link to full article
Posted By: debbie

Re: Pupil appeals over 'Harry Potter' exam question - 11/02/04 06:39 PM

Good for this boy! I hope it turns out well for him, however.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Pupil appeals over 'Harry Potter' exam question - 11/03/04 01:40 AM

I hope it turns out well for him too!

Could this be considered a religious liberty issue?
Posted By: DenBorg

Re: Pupil appeals over 'Harry Potter' exam question - 11/03/04 05:19 PM

Could this be considered a religious liberty issue?

quote: Daryl Fawcett
I would certainly think so. I hope things get changed in that school system for the better.
Posted By: Andrew Marttinen

Re: Pupil appeals over 'Harry Potter' exam question - 11/19/04 01:39 AM

How far do you take a principle like this? I wonder if the exam the boy took had the correct date at the top of it. Adventists used to be so sensitive about writing the names about pagan gods that their publications were dated, for instance, "The Fifth Day of September, 18--" so that they weren't bringing up the name of the pagan god Thor (Thursday). Do they get a "good for them" or were they just being unduly picky?
Posted By: D R

Re: Pupil appeals over 'Harry Potter' exam question - 11/19/04 03:06 AM

This is another example of why we have the SDA school system! and if the SDA school system is not available "home schooling" and if that is not an option, contract the homeschooling out, if that is not an option...?
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: Pupil appeals over 'Harry Potter' exam question - 11/19/04 03:11 AM

Depends on if you believe the "god" Thor exists or not. I think the principle behind the "meat sacraficed to idols" theme works here.

If the percieved problem would instead be having to read a book about witchcraft (havent read it so I dont know what it says) that may or may not teach you about it, it would be a different problem.

Comments?

/Thomas
Posted By: Andrew Marttinen

Re: Pupil appeals over 'Harry Potter' exam question - 11/22/04 03:14 AM

The James White Library at Andrews University library had copies of Mein Kampf and the Satanic Bible (Anton LeVay's essay on selfish, cynical living) on their shelves (know because I worked there and had to "read" shelves for endless hours). They are available. Should a Christian be found reading either of them--or what in the world are they available there for? I noticed that both had been checked out quite a few times.

This is my experience: For the sake of scholarship and integrity it is much better to read from original sources rather than what others say about a certain topic. For instance, if I would want to study the New Age Movement, I'd read a book from someone in the New Age Movement. I'd never go to a "Dangers of the New Age" book written by some nervy blond guy.
Posted By: Sarah Moss

Re: Pupil appeals over 'Harry Potter' exam question - 11/22/04 07:15 AM

Personally, I would be very irate if a school required my child to read Harry Potter and then write an exam which based 30% of his grade on it. I was appalled as a teenager at the content of Hamlet and that was required reading as well. (I don't think I even thought to complain about it to my teacher.)

I have not (and do not currently plan to) read any Harry Potter novels, however it is my understanding, from those who have read them, that they are not even of the best literary material. That, of course, is beside the point. A student should be allowed to appeal the requirements of certain books and given opportunity to chose a different book from a pre-approved qualifying list to replace any "controversial" books.
Posted By: Windsor

Re: Pupil appeals over 'Harry Potter' exam question - 01/22/05 08:56 PM

quote:
"The Fifth Day of September, 18--" so that they weren't bringing up the name of the pagan god Thor (Thursday).
What about when the origin of the month's name was also an ancient god? For instance, January was named after the Roman god of beginnings and endings Janus. March is derived from the Roman god of war, Mars. Several other months are also named after pagan gods.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church