SWEETNERS..SPLENDA? FRUTCOSE?

Posted By: Anonymous

SWEETNERS..SPLENDA? FRUTCOSE? - 01/18/01 10:29 PM

Does anyone have any information on the sweetner Splenda?
Is frutcose better than white sugar? Is frutcose OK for diabetics in moderation?

God bless,
Kay

Posted By: Linda Sutton

Re: SWEETNERS..SPLENDA? FRUTCOSE? - 01/19/01 04:09 AM

All sweeteners whether honey, white sugar, or fructose, increase the blood sugar levels. Honey and fructose are monosaccharides meaning simple sugar. Table sugar is a disaccharide, a double sugar. The only difference as far as nutrition is concerned is a minute amount of minerals found in honey, cane syrup, molasses, and sorghum because they are unrefined. Brown sugar is white sugar with molasses mixed.

Monosaccharides are simple sugars. Glucose or corn sugar and fructose are simple sugars. Glucose is the form of sugar that circulates in the blood stream. Polysaccharides are double sugars of which sucrose, or table sugar is the most common. The simple sugars are water soluble and are quickly absorbed into the blood stream. That is why a diabetic who has gone into insulin shock is given orange juice with sugar in it. Their blood sugar has dropped so much that the body has no energy to draw on to feed the cells. They must have nourishment quickly, and sucrose and fructose will be absorbed quickly into the blood, giving the insulin sugar to work on.

So no, a diabetic should avoid sugar including fructose. They also should use sparingly the alcohol sugars: sorbitol, manitol and such. I am not familiar with Splenda. One sweetener which a diabetic might try is stevia which comes from a plant in South America and from studies done in other countries (not the USA) it does not affect the blood sugar nor have the problems associated with the artificial sweeteners. It is available from Weimar and we have gotten it a the local GNC. It is rather pricey but may be worth your time and money.

------------------

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: SWEETNERS..SPLENDA? FRUTCOSE? - 01/19/01 06:44 PM

Artificial sugar replacements are extremely dangerous and should be avoided at all cost. They can cause serious health problems which can even lead to death.

I have a cassette tape available on this subject if anyone is interested they could send me a couple of bucks to cover costs and I will be happy to send them a copy. Its title is "Deadly Sweeteners"
Ken Parsons
123 Beaton Road
RR#2
Mabou, N.S.
Canada B0E 1X0
E-mail bonnieparson@yahoo.com

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church