Hearty Vegetable Soup - Vegan

Posted By: Chris Williams

Hearty Vegetable Soup - Vegan - 01/05/04 05:39 AM

Excellent recipe from Cooks Illustrated a while back. Served it at Potluck on Sabbath folks loved it. I however did not use the escarole as called for in the recipe.

Hearty Vegetable Soup

Category: Vegan

Servings: 6 as a main dish

Ingredients:
Stock
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped medium
1 celery rib, chopped medium
1 medium onion, chopped medium
3 medium portobello mushrooms roughly chopped
1 medium garlic head, outer papery skins removed and top third of head cut off and discarded
3 Tbs Olive oil
1 heaping tbs tomato paste
9 cups low sodium vegetable broth
2 med leeks (about 1 lb) green parts chopped, white parts sliced thin crosswise
10 sprigs of fresh parsley
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed

Soup
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes drained tomato pieces chopped coarse
2 small russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cup)
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 1 cup)
1/2 medium celeriac peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 small escarole head (about 12 oz) washed stemmed and leaves cut into 1 inch pieces
2 table spoons of minced fresh parsley leaves
1 cup (6oz) frozen baby lima beans (optional)
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

Crostini
8-12 baguette slices (1/2 inch thick, cut on bias)
1 large garlic clove, peeled
extra-virgin olive oil
salt and ground black pepper

Instructions:
1. For the Stock: Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 450 degrees F. Place carrot, celery, onion, protobellos and garlic head on rimed baking sheet; drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Add tomato paste and toss again until evenly coated. Spread vegetables in even layers, set garlic head cut side up; roast until vegetables are well browned, 25-30 min.

2. Combined roasted vegetables, broth, leek greens, parsley, thyme, bay and porcini in a large heavy-bottomed dutch oven; cover and bring to simmer over medium high heat, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer partially covered for 30 min. Remove garlic head; using tongs, squeeze garlic head at root end until cloves slip out of their skins. Using fork, mash garlic to paste in small bowl and set aside. Strain stock through large fine mesh strainer, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible; discard solids in strainer.

3. For the Soup: Rinse out and wipe dutch oven; add tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, celeriac, reserved whites of leeks, strained broth, and garlic paste to pot and bring to simmer using medium high heat, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer partially covered until vegetables are tender when poked with skewer or paring knife about 25 min. With back of wooden spoon mash some potatoes against the side of the pot to thicken soup. Stir in escarole and lima beans (if using): cook until escarole is wilted and limas are heated through, about 5 min. Stir in parsley; adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with Crostini floated on soup, if desired

4. For Crostini: adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 400 degrees. Place baguette slices on baking sheet; bake until dry and crisp, about 10 min, flipping slices halfway through baking time. While still hot, rub one side of each slice with raw garlic clove, then drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Posted By: Faith

Re: Hearty Vegetable Soup - Vegan - 01/08/04 02:31 AM

This soup sounds delicious. I've never used roasted vegetables and this sounds like a good way to start.

Faith
Posted By: Chris Williams

Re: Hearty Vegetable Soup - Vegan - 01/09/04 05:35 AM

I had never tried roasting the vegies first to make the stock but it worked out very well. I'll be doing it again.
Posted By: Dirk125

Re: Hearty Vegetable Soup - Vegan - 07/20/12 04:42 PM

Good recipe for the vegetables soup.
Vegetables soups are really good for the health and fitness.
I like green vegetables soups specially gourd, and broccoli soup.
These soups are very effective to burnt the fat and control the cholesterol level.
Posted By: Avalee

Re: Hearty Vegetable Soup - Vegan - 03/17/13 04:00 AM

This soup sounds delicious. I will be making it. However I will be leaving out the mushrooms. Just can't get myself to eat those things.

Thanks for the idea on roasting the vegetables first for the stock.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church