Later Prophets & The Bible

Posted By: Daryl

Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/05/13 02:56 AM

Somebody posted this on Facebook:
Quote:

My point being that so many people reject the messenger of God EGW because they don't want to hear anything unless its read in the bible... so they try to under mind the value of a prophet by saying forget the prophet we only need the bible so we will only believe what the bible teach's.

But then when they realize that the bible teach's that we must believe the prophets, and must get secret information from the prophets, and that a church in the last days has a "spirit of prophecy" and that there is revelation to prophets that only deal with last day events... it sort of rocks their world and confronts them with a decision to make about prophets and prophesying, because if the bible teach's that there is a spirit of prophecy in the last days, and that secret information is given to the prophets and God does nothing with out revealing it to His prophets then that causes a conflict with the mind set that says the bible and the bible only, however it should not because it is the bible who is teaching what is known about belief in a prophet and it is the bible who endorses the value of a prophet, and it is the bible who validates the information by a true prophet as being the proper route of revelation through which God communicates what God is doing.

You know the bible can not possibly teach everything in specific words and thats why a prophet is needed.. For instance... You can gain a principle in the bible about not smoking or not drinking caffine or taking drugs like crack or what ever... but you need spiritual insite to learn this, that sometimes is given to us by our own relationship to God, but it can be given to us thru a prophet.

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/05/13 02:58 AM

The Bible indicates that there would be prophets beyond the days in which the Bible writers lived, otherwise, why would the Bible warn us to beware of false prophets unless there would also be true prophets amongst them?
Posted By: James Peterson

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/05/13 05:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:

My point being that so many people reject the messenger of God EGW because they don't want to hear anything unless its read in the bible... so they try to under mind the value of a prophet by saying forget the prophet we only need the bible so we will only believe what the bible teach's.

But then when they realize that the bible teach's that we must believe the prophets, and must get secret information from the prophets, and that a church in the last days has a "spirit of prophecy" and that there is revelation to prophets that only deal with last day events... it sort of rocks their world and confronts them with a decision to make about prophets and prophesying, because if the bible teach's that there is a spirit of prophecy in the last days, and that secret information is given to the prophets and God does nothing with out revealing it to His prophets then that causes a conflict with the mind set that says the bible and the bible only, however it should not because it is the bible who is teaching what is known about belief in a prophet and it is the bible who endorses the value of a prophet, and it is the bible who validates the information by a true prophet as being the proper route of revelation through which God communicates what God is doing.

You know the bible can not possibly teach everything in specific words and thats why a prophet is needed.. For instance... You can gain a principle in the bible about not smoking or not drinking caffine or taking drugs like crack or what ever... but you need spiritual insite to learn this, that sometimes is given to us by our own relationship to God, but it can be given to us thru a prophet.

Shouldn't we "try the spirits"? (1 John 4:1)

/
Posted By: James Peterson

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/05/13 05:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Daryl
The Bible indicates that there would be prophets beyond the days in which the Bible writers lived, otherwise, why would the Bible warn us to beware of false prophets unless there would also be true prophets amongst them?

Actually, SDA have had many prophets: William Miller, two before Ellen White, and quite a few afterwards, the latest being, I believe, Ernie Knoll. The Church was driven into the arms of Ellen White however only in 1980 in response to the challenge put forth by Desmond Ford. Its measured and determined response practically guaranteed her the status of "sole prophet", enshrined as it were in its Fundamental Beliefs, so much so that nothing must deviate from her word or else be heretical.

Yet, curiously, quite a bit of her doctrines is not Biblical at all.

/
Posted By: Elle

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/05/13 07:49 AM

A true prophet will talk according to the Law and previous revelation. All the words of a prophet needs to be tested as commanded by the Lord in Deut 13 & 18 which tells us how to test anyone who comes as a prophet. That is the solemn duty of any individuals of a church body who wants to give the title of a prophet to anyone.

I do believe the early visions of EGW were from the Lord, but beyond that: her interpretations of the visions, her own views, and the teachings & beliefs of the pioneers by which she approve or disprove according to the voice she believe was the Lord. Some may be true inspiration, but many are not in harmony with scriptures. Anything not in harmony with the law and other scriptures needs to be discarded. I'm not saying we need to discard all of EGW's writings. But serious work is needed to weed out all the words that was her opinions and not the word from the Lord. From testing SDAs doctrines the past 5 years, I conservatively estimate about 80% of her writings are uninspired.

The Lord takes credit to send anyone with visions and dreams including false prophets. Deut 13 says that even their words can comes to past -- however none of these are proof that person is a true prophet or not. The proof lies if the person speaks in harmony with what was previously reveal to be from the Lord and have known Him from these. Anything not in harmony with what was first establish via Moses and other prophets, is telling us to follow other gods.

AV Dt 13:1 If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder,2. and the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them; 3 Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

Notice above the Lord takes credit to send such person in the purpose to test us if we would follow the Lord or not. Now that's the whole purpose and in this, EGW was used to fulfill a very important task to all of us. Without the work of false prophets we wouldn't of known our true heart status. This is the mercy and the work of the Lord, not to condemn us, but to open our eyes so we can repent and get to know the true one Lord.

The person to stone here, is not EGW for she was sent by the Lord to show us our heart. We need to stone the false propthet in all of our heart that persuaded us to not seek out the Lord for ourselfs in His previous revelation. The reality is we were infactuated with signs and wonders and made a god out of those who had the visions and made all their words infallible and put them above Scriptures. Then we further neglected our studying of His word by which the neglect of it put us in this situation at the first place for not recognizing the words spoken were not from Him, and sought the interpretation of our god, the propthet, to tell us how to interpret any scriptures. We adventists have all done that and are very guilty of not making our food "every word that proceeded from the mouth of the Lord". And have become ignorant of it.

It's time to follow what EGW and James counsel us to do in early years, to study the Bible for ourselves and not quote her words.

Posted By: dedication

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/05/13 09:35 AM

Many studied the Bible and were later delighted when they found the same truths in EGW's writings. When we witness to non-believers we do so with Bible Studies (encouraging the study of the Bible) reading and studying from scripture.

Many who thoroughly study the Bible, find that EGW's writings have a ring of truth that harmonizes with what is read in scriptures.

Seems some people ASSUME that Adventists just get their beliefs from EGW but that is NOT the case at all.

People everywhere use other authors to supplement their study. Even the great reformer Luther who promoted "sola scripture" was highly influenced by the so called Catholic "church father" Augustine. Going into Jewish traditional writings isn't sola scripture either.

The Jewish religious leaders messed up considerable over the centuries on their understanding of truth, prophecy, salvation and the Messiah. I have considerable reservations when people look to their traditional written extensions to the Bible for truth.
They may be helpful in understanding their culture, practices and usage of language, but we should be hesitant in looking to those writings to define truth.

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/05/13 10:05 AM

Originally Posted By: James Peterson

Actually, SDA have had many prophets: William Miller, two before Ellen White, and quite a few afterwards, the latest being, I believe, Ernie Knoll.

The Seventh-day Adventist Church has never officially recognized anyone as a prophet except Ellen White.

William Miller was never a Seventh-day Adventist. He was not a prophet. He was a serious Bible Student who prayerfully studied scripture and felt impressed to share his findings with the world.

Only a very small percentage of those who believed Miller's message later became Seventh-day Adventists.

It's true that two men were called by God to the prophetic ministry before Ellen White.
William Foy was a preacher in the Millerite movement, he had four visions which he shared with Millerite believers 1842-1844, he never became a Seventh-day Adventist, and seems to have disappeared from Adventist history long before the SDA church was formed in 1863.

Foss turned down the prophetic ministry and was never any leading personnel in the Adventist Church.

A lot of people have claimed the prophetic gift, both inside and outside -- but they were never recognized as such by the church.

The idea that the "church was driven into the arms of EGW in 1980" is completely false. It has been in the last 30 years that great movements to destroy her creditability have been launched, and thousands have rejected her, but many more see through the assault and having experienced the ring of heavenly, scriptural, truth in her writings, see this assault as a strategy of Satan which he must carry out in his last great quest to deceive the nations. Her writings just too plainly outline his deceptions.

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/05/13 11:02 AM

Originally Posted By: dedication

Many studied the Bible and were later delighted when they found the same truths in EGW's writings. When we witness to non-believers we do so with Bible Studies (encouraging the study of the Bible) reading and studying from scripture.

Many who thoroughly study the Bible, find that EGW's writings have a ring of truth that harmonizes with what is read in scriptures.

Seems some people ASSUME that Adventists just get their beliefs from EGW but that is NOT the case at all.

People everywhere use other authors to supplement their study. Even the great reformer Luther who promoted "sola scripture" was highly influenced by the so called Catholic "church father" Augustine. Going into Jewish traditional writings isn't sola scripture either.

The Jewish religious leaders messed up considerable over the centuries on their understanding of truth, prophecy, salvation and the Messiah. I have considerable reservations when people look to their traditional written extensions to the Bible for truth.
They may be helpful in understanding their culture, practices and usage of language, but we should be hesitant in looking to those writings to define truth.

Wishful thinking dedication but far from the truth. I agree with James Peterson when he said to you
Originally Posted By: James
"You are too steeped in Ellen White to understand the simple truth of the word of God."

I don't agree with the points James brought in that discussion that I was about to bring it up but couldn't because it was closed??? For what reason? Because James dare say something true about us making EGW an idol and relying on her interpretation of scriptures? It's all over the forums, us quoting EGW to prove things, and often EGW can be used to debate both sides of an issues.

With all honesty, dedication, how can you say we are "sola scripture"? Besides the fact we filter scriptures via the church or EGW interpretation, and besides the fact that we mostly quote EGW instead of the Bible to prove points... when we do quote scriptures, the forums shows us that we cherry pick them and ignore any other that doesn't agree, we also twist or add to scripture so it will say what we want it to say, and then we are quite ignorant of the foundation of all truth(the laws of Moses). Reality is often not equal to our perception. You need to be aware of our idols(Ez 14) to come to know of what is reality.

You hide the reality by diverting the point by trivial details not related with James' errors of our church history by which he wouldn't know because he's not from our denomination. But that doesn't make his statement wrong. He is right and perceived rightly and the forums is our witness against us. It's time for us to acknowledge it and start exercising to put our idols at the door when we open scriptures so that our idols doesn't twist all the words of the Lord(Ez 14).

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/05/13 06:29 PM

I realize you have left Adventism far behind and embraced a different belief system, filtered by your exposure to Hebraic literature.

But others are fully convinced FROM SCRIPTURE of Adventist truths?
Don't think that they have not spent hours studying SCRIPTURE and finding that the Adventist truths are ALL THROUGH those sacred pages?

What you have been drawn into is the very deception that will sweep the world into the false kingdom -- indeed it is the very OPPOSITE of Adventist prophetic truths and is based very much on the Hebraic extra Biblical writings mixed with dispensationalism.

It's scary how this type of attack on Adventist truths (especially concerning the endtime events) is in some form or other all over the internet. Believe me, I've been more than exposed to it in its varying forms, and I am fully convinced it is the master plan to erase all opposition to the earthly counterfeit kingdom that will be established just prior to the real Advent of Christ, this counterfeit will be heralded as Christ's kingdom and will deceive the whole world.

Revelation is plain that the whole world (almost) will be worshipping the beast and his image.

It never ceases to amaze me how zealously this is being presented in its various forms and yet that train of thought seems to also teach that everyone will eventually be saved -- so why is this zeal so strong?

That in itself shows me that the enemy behind these teachings is working with extreme intensity to be sure everyone will be deceived until it is too late.

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/06/13 10:13 AM

I realize you have left Adventism far behind and embraced a different belief system, filtered by your exposure to Hebraic literature.
Just because I study the law in the Bible like all believers should do… doesn’t equate that I study Hebraic literature. You err right there. I have put up front my intention to study all our(SDA) doctrines over 4 years ago when I joined this forum. Actually you made similar accusation just 2 years ago by which I explained to you very clearly where I stood in this post here. This has not changed. The reason why I engaged into these study is by the counsel of EGW. Just because my belief ended up to differ from SDA church today, is because the church is not biblical. I wasn’t expecting this. The more I test our doctrines to what the Bible actually says, the more I see how superficial and unbiblical our understanding is.

But others are fully convinced FROM SCRIPTURE of Adventist truths?
Then why can’t you prove Adventist truths in the discussion in this forum where I’m testing truths with SOLA Scriptures?

Don't think that they have not spent hours studying SCRIPTURE and finding that the Adventist truths are ALL THROUGH those sacred pages?
This means nothing. We can spend 100 lifetimes of hours studying SCRIPTURE and still coming out in upholding whatever idols we uplift in our heart. Why do you think Jesus spent most of his teaching ministry to correct the Judahites who in those days have “spent hours studying SCRIPTURE”?
What you have been drawn into is the very deception that will sweep the world into the false kingdom -- indeed it is the very OPPOSITE of Adventist prophetic truths and is based very much on the Hebraic extra Biblical writings mixed with dispensationalism.
You are full of assumption dedication which is not proper to do especially when you treat it as facts. This shows you talk without doing the thorough investigation or just plainly refusing the facts set before you as I did to you 2 years ago and you like jumping to conclusion to your own liking despite what is true or not. I don’t know where you got that I read Hebraic literature beside I study the Law and look up the original Hebrew words in an OT text.

Also, I am far from believing in dispensationalism. This shows how little you know what I have said here. Old Israel-Edomites prophecies will be fulfilled as stated in the Bible(contrary to what SDAs believe that these prophecies are conditional thus not in effect anymore) that say they will be destroyed – but after that - comes judgment --”... when thy judgments [are] in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness.” Is 26:9 They will be judged and receive the same faith as any other believers or unbelievers who continue in the path of being little antichrists ruling with their own sets of laws without receiving authority from above.

It's scary how this type of attack on Adventist truths (especially concerning the endtime events) is in some form or other all over the internet. Believe me, I've been more than exposed to it in its varying forms, and I am fully convinced it is the master plan to erase all opposition to the earthly counterfeit kingdom that will be established just prior to the real Advent of Christ, this counterfeit will be heralded as Christ's kingdom and will deceive the whole world.

Revelation is plain that the whole world (almost) will be worshipping the beast and his image.
What makes you think you are not worshipping the beast yourself? The deception comes when we cannot even see our own heart idols by which James and I have brought to your attention. Any heart idol will blind us and deceive us to worship some form of beasts or image of it. In this discussion here, you have repeated the same old lies as the Judahites of old believed when they believed there was no way the Lord would destroy their “church”. He did it twice already and He prophesied to destroy Jerusalem another time(Is 29 & Is 19).

It never ceases to amaze me how zealously this is being presented in its various forms and yet that train of thought seems to also teach that everyone will eventually be saved -- so why is this zeal so strong?
Most people who believe in Universal Salvation don’t believe in the judgment nor in the validity of the laws(just as any other denomination including SDAs). To put the record straight, I’m not a Universal Salvationalist believer, I’m a “Restitution of all things”(Act 3:21) believer (if a label could be used this would be it) and there are actually very few that believes as such in the world. I would be surprised you would of encounter any other beside the only one I know who is Adventist who teaches at the Adventist Online forum. And he still attends and only fellowship in Adventist churches as I do(if I have the means to afford the gas) as many other believers in the “restitution of all things” does fellowship in their own church family. There’s no church establish and there’s no organized believing structure in that faith. So you err with your assumptions-conclusive habits once again in categorizing me in that other group based on one similar belief. Reality is we differ widely in believes. It’s like saying to an Adventist they are Catholic because they share one common belief.

That in itself shows me that the enemy behind these teachings is working with extreme intensity to be sure everyone will be deceived until it is too late.
Still fighting the devil dedication and still viewing everyone outside the “church belief” as your or church enemy? We have already went through this I think twice in the past dedication. You can see the first time here at the last third of the post.

The Laws of Tribulations
We SDAs are quite ignorant of who is the real enemy and suffer from a severe paranoia syndrome thinking everyone is out to get them during the time of tribulation. This paranoia is described in Lev 26:14 “ ‘But if you do not obey Me and do not carry out all these commandments, 15 if, instead, you reject My statutes, and if your soul abhors My ordinances so as not to carry out all My commandments, and so break My covenant, 16 I, in turn, will do this to you:... 17 I will set My face against you so that you will be struck down before your enemies; and those who hate you will rule over you, and you will flee when no one is pursuing you. “ Notice the paranoia of the rebellious-believer running away from an imaginary enemy when all along they’re thinking “God is with us” when in reality it is the Lord who has set himself as your real and only enemy and have raised up those you made as enemy(by which you should of considered them and loved them as yourself) to rule over you. This is a hard thing to swallow, nevertheless this is the real truth and the Lord has not changed His laws and His ways towards His people in correcting them FIRST. He acts in this way today, and will still tomorrow until they or we repent.

Just like the Judahites when faced with old Babylon, they did not understand that it was the Lord who sent Babylon to execute His judgment on them despite Jeremiah told them many time before hand and they should of clued in that He was talking according to the law in Lev 26 & Deut 28 especially when they had already gone through 6 captivities in previous history
(#1. 8 years to Mesopotamia, Jud 3;
#2. 18 years to Moabites Jud 3:14;
#3. 20 years to Cannanites Jud 4:3;
#4. 7 years to Midians Jud 6;
#5. 18 years to Ammonites Jud 10; and
#6. 40 years to the Philistines Jud 16).

But no they forgot all the past corrections from the Lord and rebellious Judahites believed in their own lies(via their idols twisting things for them) despite all the prophets sent to tell them otherwise….they still believed that the Lord was still with them and Babylon was there enemy; when it was the other way around. Babylon was doing what any other conquering nation would do, but it was the Lord their real enemy. But they believed in their false prophet Hananiah that said that the Lord is with them and not to comply with bad Babylon’s demands. Amazing how blind a nation may have become despite all that the Lord has done in the past to show them His ways which was reveal in the Law in Lev 26 & Deut 28. But the Lord did not take this further rebellion lightly and this was contempt of court. Babylon may have been barbarian uncircumcised unbelievers, despite the king of Babylon was called “my servant” and he was raised up for the purpose to bring judgment to correct rebellious Judah.

This is the same parallel we need to make with Mystery Babylon today. They were raised up and are serving the Lord’s purpose to correct us because it is us who was in rebellion in the first place, who did not seek Him and His ways, who made all kind of false assumptions-conclusions-claims in the name of the Lord, were not living according to His laws(His ways), and did not establish or teach His laws(His ways) in our own homes & community & government; thus it is our(& our forefathers) fault that society has become so degenerative because we fail to bless all nations with the blessings of knowing the Lord and following Him alone.

It is not them(mystery Babylon, or any other enemy you might be blaming) that is in fault, but it is us who needs to repent from our evil ways.

There’s nothing new here with what is happening today. The Lord is acting out what was plainly laid in the laws of tribulations in Lev 26:14-46 and Deut 28:15-68. SDAs concept of the “time of tribulations” is not even Biblical and is more in line with what the house of Judah falsely believed before their destruction. They felt their church belief was jeopardized by those uncircumcised outsiders, when all along all they had as beliefs was only vomit(teachings of men, Is 28:8) and they had stray from the Lord a long time ago.

There’s nothing the church needs to protect if they have the truth and walk in it. But if they have built their foundation on teachings of men and have nailed the truth(laws of the Lord) to the cross, then nothing out there will protect these falsehood because the Lord said He will become your enemy(Lev 26:17) and will come after anyone who claims His name and does not live up to His standard that He has established in His laws.

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/07/13 09:53 AM

You and I have found very different things in scripture.
So you think my beliefs are "idols"?

You don't even know me -- so I think you are simply ANTI-ADVENTIST when you express those things you wrote above and direct it at me, possibly because I somehow represent the church in your thinking.

It does puzzle me why people who think Adventist beliefs are "idols" continue in the church? Why won't they find a group of like believers to worship with?

You tend to attribute to me a lot of things that I have never taught, and seem to lump me in with what some others on this forum teach, but which I don't agree with, yet you seem quite troubled that I don't know everything you have posted. To be honest I find what I have read of your posts so far out of harmony with scriptural truths that I'm frankly not interested.

My aim isn't protecting the CHURCH as an identity, but sharing what I believe to be truth, and I haven't "nailed" any laws to the cross.
I believe our SINS, (the record against us) which Jesus took upon Himself were nailed to the cross, and if we leave them there, and consider ourselves dead to sin, and stop insisting upon clinging to those sins and practicing them, but follow Jesus, and find our life in Him, we will have salvation.

God will have His faithful church, and it will be severely shaken and tried and purified. The concern now is the false doctrines that deceive people into thinking they will have a second chance.
It's NOW today -- the day of salvation.
Preparing for the last days isn't about storing up silver or gold, but gaining the gold of faith, and the precious robe of Christ's righteousness.

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/12/13 03:48 AM

We have sticky threads in the SDA Church Concerns forum on the tests of a prophet to determine whether or not any particular prophet is a true prophet of God, or a false prophet.

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/13/13 02:42 AM

You and I have found very different things in scripture.
So you think my beliefs are "idols"?

You don't even know me -- so I think you are simply ANTI-ADVENTIST when you express those things you wrote above and direct it at me, possibly because I somehow represent the church in your thinking.
First I was defending James because he spoke rightly in another discussion when he said “"You are too steeped in Ellen White to understand the simple truth of the word of God." Then that discussion was closed because of that. James is not SDA and doesn’t know our history and beliefs very much. So I came to back the truth that he said.

It’s not that I was aiming at you personally. No, by which if you read carefully any of my comments of this subject directing the problem towards “US” by which I include myself. I was suffering from that same blindness. Any idols blinds us as explained in Ez 14:1-10 by which our whole congregation suffers by this one James identified at large.

It is not that EGW was a bad person and everything she said was all false and she didn’t receive any vision from the Lord and etc…. No and I never threw any stoned at her personally or bad talked her. In the contrary I always had a lot of admiration for her, but I understand she is human just like I and I understand the purpose why the Lord used her. Some of her writings have much truth and is very profound. But there are many other things it was what she understood and the Lord did not give her full understanding of everything. Many doctrines that we have today are what the pioneers brought and what she perceived to be true. The fault is more so on us today and the leaders that establish the denominations, and less so EGW or the pioneers. They brought the best that they knew from their times, but we needed to bring it further and test everything continually with scripture. Our grave error is we took the whole lump and declared it all truth, made a foundation with it and built some walls to prevent the members to go out. In this we neglected our solemn duty that EGW and James told us to do – to test all things and not to quote her. And so today, the blindness problem is furthering from generation to generation. This is what we suffer from as a church.

So you think my beliefs are "idols"? You don't even know me

It is true that I don’t know you personally. However, when we have a discussion; it does come apparent that at times you twist scriptures, add things that is not there, and reject other scriptures that challenge your interpretation or beliefs. These are symptom of having an heart idol. As I said many times, we all have heart idols and we will until the Lord perfects us into all the truth. No one has all the truth and no one knows the Lord as He is. Someone that says that he does know the truth as our Church has done, is in grave danger of stagnation and become the Laodicean Church. It is quite a blunt irony that we acknowledge that we are the Laodicean Church and yet think we know/have the truth and others don’t. Christ said “'If ye were blind, ye were not having had sin, but now ye say--We see, therefore doth your sin remain.”
so I think you are simply ANTI-ADVENTIST…. It does puzzle me why people who think Adventist beliefs are "idols" continue in the church? Why won't they find a group of like believers to worship with?

First, I am not anti-adventist. Anyone that knows me in my local church knows that I am not. Just because my studies brought me to different beliefs as Adventist holds, it doesn’t make me an anti-adventist. I don’t go around bashing EGW or the church. I have told you clearly 2 years ago why I stay in the Church.
Originally Posted By: elle 2 years ago
Basically, it’s been 25 years I’ve been an SDA. An no, I haven’t dissociated myself to the Church. When I entered the Church, I had absolutely no biblical background besides what I was taught by being raised Catholic. I have always trusted every single teaching the SDAs have given me and never doubted any of it. I believed as you that they had the truth and was THE Church. I left a very good career to become a medical missionary and entered SDA’s best colleges to be properly trained. With all my heart, I entered the Church and never doubted any of their beliefs. Only 3 years ago, I felt I needed to take on Elllen’s counsel seriously and study the Bible for myself.

So after 1 year in my studying quest I took the task to test all Doctrines with scripture alone. My earlier posts on this forum will reveal this path. I did stop going to Church on a regular basis for a year, however, the Lord has convicted me this past couple of months that I needed to attend again on a regular basis. My church is a very small family group. They’ve been very good to me and showed much understanding towards me.

The SDA Church has given me much and I’m very grateful for everything and the path that was made possible through them. As long as they continue to tolerate my differences of doctrines when expressed(which the members of our little church have with a very kind manner), I will not turn my back on them. If they think it is better for them to disfellowship me, I will understand very well their reasons and it will not change any facts of my appreciation of what I have received from them. And it will not change my friendship or feelings towards any individual by which I presently enjoy and thus being blessed by them.

I think most people that sees different truth than the church turns bitter and do find another group of like believers especially if they reject the Sabbath, it is more easy to find. But I’m not bitter at the church, EGW or anyone inside the church.

Concerning being in this forum, I have at least twice if not three time email Daryl and told him as a friend that it is ok to booth me out of his forum. I like Daryl and I know him and his wife personally. I wouldn’t hold this against him if he decides so. I’m aware that I create a lot of tension in my studying pursuit and I will understand if he does.

You tend to attribute to me a lot of things that I have never taught, and seem to lump me in with what some others on this forum teach, but which I don't agree with,
I really don’t know what you are referring here. I do address things people have said and I typically quote what the person’s says and respond to it. However, I don’t like to focus on the individual so I often shift into generalizing the problem that typically would include you and me in the generalization.
Yet you seem quite troubled that I don't know everything you have posted.
I am not troubled at all dedication. I’m not here to convict anyone of a particular truth. I am mainly here to study/test doctrines that I have learn in the church with scriptures.
To be honest I find what I have read of your posts so far out of harmony with scriptural truths that I'm frankly not interested.
If idols are not left behind before opening scriptures, our idols will twist anything we read to uphold what we believed initially. (Ez 14:1-10) If people brings a different point of view from scriptures that doesn’t agree with our idols or texts that challenges your interpretation, then of course the natural course is to ignore and not be interested in it.

My aim isn't protecting the CHURCH as an identity, but sharing what I believe to be truth, and I haven't "nailed" any laws to the cross.
? You uphold all the laws of Moses written in the Pentateuch? I don’t think so -- if you believe like Adventists. From what I read from your posts, you have nailed the law to the cross like any other Adventists has which leaves you foundational-less for it is by the Law that we test all truths.
I believe our SINS, (the record against us) which Jesus took upon Himself were nailed to the cross, and if we leave them there, and consider ourselves dead to sin, and stop insisting upon clinging to those sins and practicing them, but follow Jesus, and find our life in Him, we will have salvation.
Our ability to follow Jesus and keep His laws(not sin) lies in hearing His voice – the small still voice that is easily confused with our own voice. His voice will always speak in harmony with the whole fiery law (not only the 10Cs) given to Moses on Mount Sinai at Pentecost. Pentecost main sacrifice is represented by two loaves of leaven wheat bread that needed to be cook in the fire. These loaves of bread represents us, and the leaven is our sins that is still present in us. These breads are only made an acceptable sacrifice if the leaven is all kill by the fire. The fire represents the fiery law uttered by the Lord’s Holy spirit that teaches us His mind and character. This feast was not fulfilled with the Israelites because they refuse to hear the voice of the Lord directly for they were afraid to die. So they begged Moses saying “Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.” Ex 20:19 So they wanted to hear the words of the Lord via Moses and not via the Lord directly.

The Israelites did with Moses what we’re doing with EGW. Moses words were all true; however, no matter how true the words that we receive from others, if it is not heard from the Lord’s fire(Holy Spirit) of what is spoken…our faith will be equal to the faith of the Israelites. AV Ro 10:17 “So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word[rhema, an utterance] of God.” This is how the law gets written in our heart and the law becomes natural to keep. Without hearing the Lord for ourself, the law will remain written on the outside and perfect observance of the law is impossible.

God will have His faithful church, and it will be severely shaken and tried and purified. The concern now is the false doctrines that deceive people into thinking they will have a second chance.
The Lord does have faithful servants that hear His voice and follow Him wherever He leads. They do not have a denomination establish. Just like the Israelites they were to live in a sukka(tent) in the wilderness and be ready to follow the pillar of fire and cloud whenever and wherever it led them to the next encampment where a test was prepared for their next level of discipline and learning. The journey in the wilderness represents the Pentecost(2 loaves of leaven bread) which is where we get sanctified via the baptism of Fire which trains us and ready us to enter the promise land. The Pentecost is between the Passover(justification) and Tabernacle(receiving our inheritance, not a piece of real-estate but the glorification with the full indwelling of the Spirit). They were not allowed to build a house in the wilderness, they had to wait to enter the promise land before they could settle anywhere. This represents that no-one knows the whole truth which our idols blinds us to until it is reveal to us by all the different encampments(tests) the Lord has prepared to surface these idols or falsehood. Any church that has laid a foundation and built some walls is disobeying this law, for they are unable to follow the pillar of fire and cloud anymore.

Any denomination are concern with false doctrines because it jeopardizes their house foundation they have build. The individuals that have not build any houses yet and awaits to enter the promise land to do so, are not afraid of false doctrines when it comes to the surface. When faced with these false doctrines, it does shake us but it is a good thing, because they need to come out. Thought the experience was hard they are grateful that the Lord brought them through that test because without it, they wouldn’t of been aware of their idol(or false doctrine) that was in them. With time as they become aware how the Lord operates in teaching and sanctify them via His utterance, they become more easily moved learning more of His laws(ways) and character at each stop.
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/13/13 03:50 AM

Quote:
? You uphold all the laws of Moses written in the Pentateuch?

Sorry, Elle, but do YOU do that? Where are your animal sacrifices? Now, Paul says that there was a law which was nailed to the cross and abolished (Eph 2:15; Col. 2:14). Which law was that?

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/13/13 05:28 AM

Actually neither Eph. 2:15 nor Col. 2:14 is really nailing any law to the cross. The first is speaking of the wall of separation between Jews and Gentiles and all the rituals that were imposed on Gentiles if they wanted to be part of the blessings promised to "Jews", that wall and ritual is now torn down, because Christ has made us all one -- fellow heirs of the kingdom. All mouths are stopped because all are sinners and need Christ for salvation. In Christ all can be fellow heirs.
Circumcision was one of the big issues, and it's clear from scripture that it is no longer a requirement. (Romans 3:30, 1Cor. 17:19)

Col. 2:14 talks of "being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; blotting out the handwriting of ordinances (actually debts) that was against us,

So it's our sins (our unpayable debt) that stood against us, that Christ took out of the way by nailing it to the cross.

THAT BEING SAID:

Scripture makes it plain that there are certain things that have ceased.

Sacrifices is one of them.
Hebrews makes it plain that the blood of bulls and goats can't do anything in removing sin, we now look to the BETTER blood, and Better sacrifice (Heb. 9:23,29)

Hebrews points us to the BETTER sanctuary, and the BETTER priest.
We don't need the earthly man-made temple where earthly priests officiate in dealing with the sin problem anymore. We look to Jesus as our High Priest in the heavenly sanctuary.

Hebrews 8:13 speaks of the old covenant fading, vanishing away.
The next chapter (nine) identifies the old covenant with the earthly tabernacle and its services, "Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;"

Hebrews then points us to the sanctuary in heaven "not made by human hands" where Jesus entered with His own blood as our High Priest. There sin is truly dealt with and true cleansing takes place.

Indeed to keep all the ceremonial laws in the books of Moses is to remain in the Old Covenant and to be rejecting Christ, His sacrifice and His High Priestly ministry.

But Hebrews also tells us that the Sabbath rest remains (Hebrews 4:9)
The Sabbath embedded in the heart of the ten commandments is God's signature as our Creator and Sanctifier. It remains.

Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/13/13 07:05 AM

Actually neither Eph. 2:15 nor Col. 2:14 is really nailing any law to the cross. The first is speaking of the wall of separation between Jews and Gentiles and all the rituals that were imposed on Gentiles if they wanted to be part of the blessings promised to "Jews", that wall and ritual is now torn down, because Christ has made us all one -- fellow heirs of the kingdom.

I'm not getting this from that verse. At least, there is more than simply talk of a wall of partition between Jews and Gentiles. The wall of partition is addressed in verse 14, but verse 15 adds to it.

Originally Posted By: The Bible
2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
2:14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition [between us];
2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, [even] the law of commandments [contained] in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, [so] making peace;
2:16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
2:17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.

And look at how Mrs. White refers to this verse.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
51 (Mark 15:38; Luke 23:45; Ephesians 2:14, 15; Colossians 2:14; Hebrews 10:19, 20; See EGW on John 19:30). The Mercy Seat Opened to All.--Christ was nailed to the cross between the third and sixth hour, that is, between nine and twelve o'clock. In the afternoon He died. This was the hour of the evening sacrifice. Then the veil of the temple, that which hid God's glory from the view of the congregation of Israel, was rent in twain from top to bottom. {5BC 1108.7}

Through Christ the hidden glory of the holy of holies was to stand revealed. He had suffered death for every man, and by this offering the sons of men were to become the sons of God. With open face, beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, believers in Christ were to be changed into the same image, from glory to glory. The mercy seat, upon which the glory of God rested in the holiest of all, is opened to all who accept Christ as the propitiation for sin, and through its medium, they are brought into fellowship with God. The veil is rent, the partition walls broken down, the handwriting of ordinances canceled. By virtue of His blood the enmity is abolished. Through faith in Christ Jew and Gentile may partake of the living bread (Letter 230, 1907). {5BC 1109.1}

Mrs. White contrasts the two laws.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
... But many sweep away the Ten Commandments entirely, announcing that they were nailed to the cross with the ceremonial law of types and sacrifices. ... {ST, January 9, 1896 par. 8}

Many in the Christian world also have a veil before their eyes and heart. They do not see to the end of that which was done away. They do not see that it was only the ceremonial law which was abrogated at the death of Christ. They claim that the moral law was nailed to the cross. ... {RH, April 22, 1902 par. 15}

In the above, Mrs. White does not deny that the ceremonial law was nailed to the cross. She distinguishes it, however, from the moral law which was not nailed to the cross.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/14/13 06:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Actually neither Eph. 2:15 nor Col. 2:14 is really nailing any law to the cross. The first is speaking of the wall of separation between Jews and Gentiles and all the rituals that were imposed on Gentiles if they wanted to be part of the blessings promised to "Jews", that wall and ritual is now torn down, because Christ has made us all one -- fellow heirs of the kingdom.

I'm not getting this from that verse. At least, there is more than simply talk of a wall of partition between Jews and Gentiles. The wall of partition is addressed in verse 14, but verse 15 adds to it.

It's really not worth arguing about since the sacrificial system which pointed forward to the cross, ended when the reality took place. As I pointed out in my last post, other texts show this to be so.

The temple veil was torn thus signifying the earthly temple services were ended, and a new and living way through Jesus was established to approach the throne of God. (See Hebrews 10:20)

So that part I agree with -- I just don't link it directly with Eph. 2. A person can link it indirectly maybe -- but the context does not link it directly.

Ephesians 2:15 is one of the favorite verses other Christians use to tell us the ten commandments are done away with -- so in that respect I think it very important to understand the context and meaning within the verses themselves.

When we study the verses in Ephesians 2 in context we no longer have a problem with any "moral laws" being abolished, it's the whole (Jews are God's people, Gentiles are defiled and unworthy) concept, and all the laws that were placed to restrict the Gentiles from the Jewish communion that were abolished.

This passage is a powerful passage against the "Israelie deception" -- for Jews and Gentiles are ONE in Christ, both heirs of the promises.

Letter to the Ephesians

2:11 Wherefore remember, that you [Ephesians] in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision [not bearing in the flesh the sign of the covenant] by that which is called the Circumcision [Jews bearing the sign of the covenant] in the flesh made by hands; [not by the Holy Spirit within the heart and mind of the person]

2:12 That at that time you [Ephesian Gentiles] were without Christ, [the anointed Messiah] being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, [the covenant promises were given to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and their descendants] having no hope, and without God in the world: [rather a hopeless situation for the Gentiles to be outside the covenant community]

2:13 But now in Christ Jesus [Jesus is the Anointed Messiah] you [Gentiles] who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

2:14 For he is our peace, who has made both [Jews and Gentiles] one, and has broken down the middle wall of partition between us; [how did Jesus do this?]

2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity ][hostility], the law of commandments [prescribed rules in accordance with which a thing is done] contained in ordinances; [the Jewish community had a lot of rules that excluded Gentiles from full involvement in their worship] for to make in himself [in Christ] of twain [Gentile and Jew] one new man, so making peace;

2:16 And that he might reconcile both [Gentile and Jew] unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity [the mutual hostility between them] thereby:

2:17 And came and preached peace to you [Gentiles] which were afar off, and to them [Jews] that were nigh.

2:18 For through him we both [Gentile and Jew] have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

3:6 That the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/14/13 07:22 AM

However, we are rather off topic --

The topic is on later day prophets.

In scripture we are told in Amos 3:7 "Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets."

Donald Ernest Mansell, in his book "The shape of the Coming Crisis" p. 15, relates a parable which defines the role of Ellen White's prophetic gift and purpose well.

He likens the Bible to a high-seas chart by which a pilot guides a ship to its destination. This large high-seas chart is located in a prominent place in the navigational area of the ship. However, as the ship draws close to the coral reef invested waters of a harbor, a little boat approaches the large ship. In the boat is a man who is well informed on the location of the reefs in the waters and he brings with him a harbor map.

Now the harbor map does not replace the high-seas map. The only difference between the two charts is that the harbor map is much more detailed and highlights more clearly where the coral reefs and sandbars are located in that specific harbor.

The pilot would be foolish indeed to discard the harbor map by saying he already has the high- seas map and that is all that is needed, for it already shows where the harbor is.

We believe the ship, of true believers, is going to enter some very dangerous reefs that could cause shipwreck to our faith if we are uninformed of the dangers ahead. God gave messages to Ellen White, to highlight and warn us about these deadly, deceptive reefs so we need not make shipwreck and fall into the clutches of the beast, his image or his mark.

Revelation tells us that the main focus of the devils wrath is against those who keep God's commandments and have the testimony of Jesus. Would it not be like a caring God to send special messages to His people who are the brunt of this arch fiend's wrath?

Is it not logical to understand that when God's commandment law was once again seen in it's true setting in the life of a Christian, and as those angels of Revelation began to sound their messages in the 1840's calling a world back to the full gospel, to the worship of the Creator God and to announce the judgment, that God would also make this "LOUD" voice louder with prophetic utterances?

Ellen White gave a clear, forceful picture of the unraveling of end time events based solidly upon the Bible. The Bible gave the "big picture", Ellen White filled in the details as we near the great time of trouble about to burst upon the world. She was given the harbor map that we might not make shipwreck in the final crises.
Her predictions of the activities of the churches are being fulfilled before our very eyes. The churches are uniting upon points of doctrine. There is a reaching out of the hand between Protestants and Catholics.
The wall between church and state is being eroded and attacked.
The Christian churches are all being prepared for the master deception of the coming of a supernatural "Christ" (who they will believe is the true Christ)
God sent the warning through a PROPHET -- rejecting it will conceal the deadly reefs and many will go down so close to the final harbor.

In spite of the clear warnings of Ellen White's as to the set up and take over of the beast and his image, people are attacking and throwing out the harbor map and running to board the ships that think they do not need a harbor map.

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/14/13 02:34 PM

Quote:
Actually neither Eph. 2:15 nor Col. 2:14 is really nailing any law to the cross.

This is Bacchiocchi's interpretation (which was a disservice to the church's position and is now widely spread in our ranks), not Ellen White's interpretation.

Quote:
[the Jewish community had a lot of rules that excluded Gentiles from full involvement in their worship]

Yes, and some of these rules were contained in the law of Moses (Ex 12:48, Deut. 23:3).
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/14/13 04:12 PM

Ephesians 2:15 is one of the favorite verses other Christians use to tell us the ten commandments are done away with -- so in that respect I think it very important to understand the context and meaning within the verses themselves.
The scriptures should always be studied in their proper context. I fully agree with you there. But Ephesians 2:15 presents no problem when a proper translation is used. If you read the NIV on this verse, instead of the King James Version, you will get abominable error that you cannot explain away, even via your "wall of partition" interpretation.

Originally Posted By: Not Inspired Version
by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace, (Ephesians 2:15, NIV)

Compare that with the solid King James' translation which maintains the integrity of the distinction between the moral law and the ordinances of Moses.

Originally Posted By: King James Version
Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; (Ephesians 2:15, KJV)

The "commandments contained in ordinances" were abolished "in his flesh" (nailed to the tree, for this is the only time his "flesh" could have been "abolished"). The Ten Commandments were not "ordinances." The ordinances were the sacrificial rituals that prefigured Christ.

There were some changes made at the Cross, that is certain. But prophets continued to prophesy after the Cross, even in Bible times. This is how we have the New Testament with its many prophecies and words of inspiration. If there were ever a cutoff time in which God ceased to inspire prophets to encourage and instruct His people, He has never indicated so. To the contrary, Jesus said "And lo, I am with you alway, even to the end of the world." John chapter 14 sheds light on His manner of being with us until then.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/14/13 05:52 PM

There is a discussion about this in the thread What Was Nailed to the Cross in Col. 2:14?.
Posted By: Johann

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/14/13 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
Actually neither Eph. 2:15 nor Col. 2:14 is really nailing any law to the cross.

This is Bacchiocchi's interpretation (which was a disservice to the church's position and is now widely spread in our ranks), not Ellen White's interpretation.

Quote:
[the Jewish community had a lot of rules that excluded Gentiles from full involvement in their worship]

Yes, and some of these rules were contained in the law of Moses (Ex 12:48, Deut. 23:3).
Seems like certain people equate the gold medal Bacchiochi was issued by the pope himself with inspiration.

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/15/13 08:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

There were some changes made at the Cross, that is certain. But prophets continued to prophesy after the Cross, even in Bible times. This is how we have the New Testament with its many prophecies and words of inspiration. If there were ever a cutoff time in which God ceased to inspire prophets to encourage and instruct His people, He has never indicated so. To the contrary, Jesus said "And lo, I am with you alway, even to the end of the world." John chapter 14 sheds light on His manner of being with us until then.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

That is correct!
God's prophetic utterances were not nailed to the cross!

Malachi 4 promises that God would send Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:

What does that mean?

Well, Jesus showed us a partial fulfilment which gives us a clue as to what this means.

Matt. 11:7 Jesus began to say unto the multitudes concerning John [the Baptist], What went ye out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken with the wind?
11:14 And if ye will receive [it], this is Elias, which was for to come.

The coming of Elijah before the coming of the Lord, was first fulfilled by John the Baptist preparing the way for people to accept Christ at His first coming.

Likewise a prophet is sent to prepare people for the second coming of Christ.
Posted By: kland

Re: Later Prophets & The Bible - 10/15/13 05:31 PM

Somebody posted this on Facebook:
Quote:

Somebody? What a coincidence. The same style, the same typos, the same errors, the same message as Elle. wink
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church