16 - Spiritual Gifts And Ministries

Posted By: Daryl

16 - Spiritual Gifts And Ministries - 09/01/00 06:29 AM

16. Spiritual Gifts and Ministries

God bestows upon all members of His church in every age spiritual gifts which each member is to employ in loving ministry for the common good of the church and of humanity.

Given by the agency of the Holy Spirit, who apportions to each member as He wills, the gifts provide all abilities and ministries needed by the church to fulfill its divinely ordained functions.

According to the Scriptures, these gifts include such ministries as:

1 - Faith
2 - Healing
3 - Prophecy
4 - Proclamation
5 - Teaching
6 - Administration
7 - Reconciliation
8 - Compassion
9 - Self-sacrificing service and charity for
the help and encouragement of people.

Some members are called of God and endowed by the Spirit for functions recognized by the church in pastoral, evangelistic, apostolic, and teaching ministries particularly needed to:

1 - Equip the members for service,
2 - Build up the church to spiritual maturity,
3 - Foster unity of the faith and knowledge of God.

When members employ these spiritual gifts as faithful stewards of God's varied grace, the church is protected from the destructive influence of false doctrine, grows with a growth that is from God, and is built up in
faith and love.

(Rom. 12:48; 1 Cor. 12:911, 27, 28; Eph. 4:8, 1116; Acts 6:17; 1 Tim. 3:113; 1 Peter 4:10, 11.)

------------------
In His Love, Mercy & Grace

Daryl Fawcett :)

Re: 16 - Spiritual Gifts And Ministries - 03/19/07 12:55 AM

Lori asked a question in the general topic here, therefore, I am quoting the relevant portion of her post here.

Originally Posted By: Lori

Question - how do you know what your gift is so you can function as part of the body?

Background - Over recent months I've learned quite literally that God doesn't want us to remain Ignorant (Paul even uses the word ignorant in I Cor 12) and the scriptures also tell us that we can know and understand about spiritual gifts.

Then I've learned that the purpose of these gifts are for the common good of the church - it's all apart of being many members operating as one body in Christ. What concerns me is that I read that my local church cannot be all God intends it to be unless the members are each doing their part (hand can't do feet job etc...)... so I really need to be sure what my job is and then seek God's direction, in love, in doing that part. But how do you know what your part is?

Thanks,

Lori

Can anybody answer Lori's post here?
Posted By: Lori

Re: 16 - Spiritual Gifts And Ministries - 03/21/07 04:20 AM

Just checking bak - looks like no one has any responses. Thanks anyway Daryl.

Re: 16 - Spiritual Gifts And Ministries - 03/21/07 04:28 PM

Hi Lori,

I was hoping somebody would help you here.

When I get a chance, I will do some research of my own and post it here.
Posted By: Lori

Re: 16 - Spiritual Gifts And Ministries - 03/25/07 07:58 PM

Hi just checking back to see if any response.

Here is paragraph from recent entry in my journal regarding the topic of spiritual gifts.... "God has shown me that he doesn't want me ignorant, that we are to share our gifts in love for the common good. So now, is it time to look @ my spiritual gifts and what they are? to know and understand more and how they fit in with my church?"

I am not discouraged, my progress is slow - but solid in Christ. Thanks for your prayers.
Posted By: asygo

Re: 16 - Spiritual Gifts And Ministries - 05/12/07 08:20 AM

Though it doesn't answer the question, I covered using our gifts in my latest sermon (here's the link: From Egypt to Canaan 3: Saved to Serve).

Christ's Object Lessons provides some answers in the chapter on Talents. Bill Gothard (www.iblp.org) has some good material on finding out what your spiritual gift is. He has a unique perspective that I haven't seen elsewhere (except in a series by Richard O'Ffill, which I think he copied from Gothard). But I found it very useful when our youth group studied and implemented it.

Re: 16 - Spiritual Gifts And Ministries - 05/14/07 02:58 AM

Arnold for responding to Lori's question.

I am also aware of Internet sites that will ask a lot of questions and then, based on your answers, will give you online feedback as to what are your spiritual gifts.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church