The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs

Posted By: Daryl

The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/05/04 10:58 PM

As a result of what Cedric said in his post quoted below

quote:

.....If one would like to judge those beliefs another topic can be started.....

I decided to create this topic.

If the name of this topic isn't correct, let me know and I will rename it accordingly.

The following link provided by Claudia in the other topic should assist us in this topic:

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/islam.htm#difference

Let the discussion begin.

[ October 05, 2004, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]
Posted By: Ikan

Re: The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/05/04 11:25 PM

May I suggest this be changed to "Islam ......What Adventists Believe" otherwise we will be defending doctrines of papists and the misguided Protestants?

Re: The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/05/04 11:35 PM

In response to Ikan's request, I added the words Islam and Adventist in the topic title which I trust meets the reason for the name change.

Re: The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/08/04 07:04 AM

Thanks Daryl. Lets start out on what all branches (there are four main schools, with a few sub-schools) of Islam beleives about Life After Death and compare it to Adventist beliefs.

I suggest discussing one concept at a time here, otherwise there is no sequential understanding.

I will give references from Mufti (the highest national Islamic authority) approved Muslim books, not Western anti-islamic propaganda. I also will ask my friend Haji for the common man's viewpoint.

I will also quote when asked Adventist materials.

Re: The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/09/04 04:08 AM

Anybody interested?
Oh...and I might add: as a converted person, of either religion, it is understood that being "objective" to the things of God is impossible.
The unconverted pretend to be objective, but are not.
However---being willing to give total freedom of conscience to others as to what and how they believe, under no force, is a sign of true submission to the Almighty, the Compassionate.
Posted By: Will

Re: The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/09/04 04:14 AM

I know absolutely zero about Islamic beliefs, so it would be interesting indeed.
God Bless,
Will

Re: The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/09/04 06:45 AM

Some quotes from "After Death, Life!", a grief intervention book for Muslims, by Ruqaiyyah Waris Maqsood, 1998, Goodword books,Al-Risala, New Delhi, India:

"Once again, Islam comes to the aid of the grieving soul. The state of the departed souls is a mystery known only to God; but there is a strong tradition that the tranquillising notion of the dead 'resting in peace' or 'sleeping' in their graves until Judgement Day is just wishful thinking, and is not what actually happens. Muslim tradition suggests that the souls of good people will be able to range (travel) far and wide, having all sorts of experiences.
These may all relate to their new state of life, but who could deny that perhaps these souls might well wish to console their mourners, and might be granted the opportunity, if God wills, to visit them with their loving presense?"

Quoted verbatum from the text (except the bracketed word), pages 29, 30
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/10/04 01:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ikan:
...otherwise we will be defending doctrines of papists and the misguided Protestants?

All are misguided save me and thee, and sometimes I suspect even thee.

Re: The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/11/04 08:28 AM

Any insights about the quote I gave, Will?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/11/04 05:15 PM

Cry aloud:...either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.
The King James Version, (Cambridge: Cambridge) 1769.

Re: The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/11/04 07:14 PM

Cedric,

What are you trying to tell us?

Re: The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/11/04 09:01 PM

Hi Ikan,
After reading what you posted regarding life after death I can clearly see that there are 2 different views of life after death where the Bible tells us and we sleep, and the grief intevention book tells us that souls wander.
This belief has seeped into Christianity for many, but not all, and this belief is also prevalent in several religions today i.e Buddhism,Hinduism, New Age, and most Christianity, but not Seventh-Day Adventist Christians.
What also caught my eye is that the grief intervention book speculates on the souls of those who died because they themselves say that the state of the departed souls is a mystery only known to God, and that they follow tradition regarding the state of departed souls.

My question is where did that tradition start from?

God Bless,
Will

Re: The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/12/04 02:27 AM

Cedric Ummm...Your random Bible selection is from 1Kings 18:26~28, which has nothing to do with dead humans or death, but with the prophet Elijah proving by mockery that the "god" Baal does not exist, as anyone can see:

26 They took the bull which was given them, and they dressed it, and called on the name of Baal from morning even until noon, saying, "Baal, hear us." But there was no voice, nor any who answered. They leaped about the altar which was made.
27 It happened at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, "Cry aloud; for he is a 'god': either he is musing, or he is gone aside, or he is on a journey, or peradventure he sleeps and must be awakened."
28 They cried aloud, and cut themselves after their manner with knives and lances, until the blood gushed out on them.

Re: The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/12/04 11:19 AM

True, Will:
It is the majority world view and accepted belief in Islam too, as well as all pagan religions.
But let's stick with Islamic perceptions in contrast with Adventist ones, OK?

How is this Muslim view any different than non Adventist ideas? I can't see any.

Re: The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/12/04 05:40 PM

Hi Ikan,
It really isn't any different, so how did that come about?
God Bless,
Will

Re: The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/13/04 05:50 AM

Actually, Will, it seems to me that the error of inherant immortality is the easiest think in the world to believe. Why?
Because all beings wish to think that somehow they have eternal life inborn in them, and have no need of the Lord Himself to give eternal life to them as a gift. So they figure out a plan, whether by deeds, ceremonies, embalming, mummification, chanting of prayers, whatever to convince themselves that they have some control over death.

Islam is no different. I have evidence that even Mohammed prayed with tears at the tomb for the "progress" of his mother's soul while she lay in the grave. There is a whole elaborate system for "helping" souls that are quite dead in Islam, inspite of their claims to understand the Judgement.

However, very few Muslims that feel that this is "shirk" or making a partner with the Creator.

Re: The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/13/04 05:15 PM

I had no idea that they understood about the Judgment as we SDA's know it to be.
Yet I help but think about what the devil told Eve in the Garden of Eden that Ye shall not surely die, and that ye shall be like gods.
It seems that tis lie has infected almost all religions.
God Bless,
Will

Re: The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/14/04 05:33 AM

Well, I can't say that Islam sees the Judgement as Adventists do, but they have the general misconceptions that other Judeo-christian traditions hold. I hope we will discuss the Judgement ideas of Islam later.

Yes, Will, you are right: the concept of life after death held by most of the world, including Muslims, is based on the father of lies very first lie.

Sadly, most folks don't understand that this concept of "visiting souls from heaven or hell" are not people at all, but demons impersonating people.

Re: The Difference Between (Islam) Muslim Beliefs & Adventist Christian Beliefs - 10/16/04 11:23 AM

Any need to explore Muslim ideas about the state of the dead?
It is quite clear, to any that honestly research, that Islamic ideas about pre-Resurrection "holding tanks", one for good muslims and one hellish one for all others, is parallel to Catholic and or Protestants format, not Adventist's.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church