What does "IHS" stand for

Posted By: Rick H

What does "IHS" stand for - 02/14/08 06:24 PM

Lets just say even the Catholics and even historians and scholars are not quite clear as to its origins or meaning, so I doubt anyone can come up with a clear answer. (Maybe the Jesuits have a clue since you find it on their buildings, insignias, clothing) While some evidence of pagan orgins are claimed (see below: ) here are some answers from Catholic sites and others...

Response to IHS For Chris

Dear H. S.:
the answer is as simple as this:
Iesus = latin for JESUS
Hominum = latin for OF MEN
Salvator = latin for SAVIOR So IHS= Jesus Savior of men
Iesus Hominum Salvator....
Latin for "Jesus Saviour of Man..."

-----------------------------------
"..In His Service.."

"In Hoc Signo,"

"...they are the first three letters of Jesus’ name in Greek: iota-eta-sigma..."

"...I.H.S. This triad of initials stands for the in hoc signo of the alleged vision of Constantine, of which, save Eusebius, its author, no one ever knew. I.H.S. is interpreted Jesus Hominum Salvator, and In hoc signo. It is, however, well known that the Greek IHS was one of the most ancient names of Bacchus....In hoc signo Victor ens, or the Labarum T (the tau and the resh) is a very old signum, placed on the foreheads of those who were just initiated. Kenealy translates it as meaning "he who is initiated into the Naronic Secret, or the 600, shall be Victor" but it is simply "through this sign hast thou conquered"; i.e., through the light of Initiation..."

------------------------------------

"...originated in Rome with the early Christians, and was popularized in the fifteenth century by Franciscan disciple Bernardine of Sienna, who promoted it as a symbol of peace....

Solar and Lunar symbolism have been in continual use by the Church and are most likely continuances of Roman ceremonial symbolism. There is, however, good evidence that the initials were used to represent Bacchus, the god of wine, who early Christians identified with Jesus.

The IHS emblem today most commonly represents the communion wafer, and is closely asociated with the Jesuit Order. The solar rays often depicted surrounding the emblem represent the monstrance (Ostensorium),* a decorated vessel used to display the Communion Host. The solar symbolism is probably ancient in origin, and probably borrowed from Roman ritual implements...."

http://altreligion.about.com/library.../bldefsihs.htm

http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...=155845&page=4

http://www.samandra.freeserve.co.uk/ihs.htm

Anyone have a clue on the origins of "IHS".....?
Posted By: DebbieB

Re: What does "IHS" stand for - 02/15/08 01:30 AM

According to my understanding IHS used on cruxifixes, and the wafer is another one of those things where paganism and Christianity have been mixed up. In this case IHS is indicative of the false trinity used in Egypt of Isis Horus Set. Horus being the sun god, Isis the goddess and Set being the 'son of the virgin'.

This trinity was a variation of the Babylonian trinity of Semiramis, Nimrod and Tammuz. Nimrod's Name was changed to Baal, and then Horus, Semiramis became Venus, and then Isis, and Tammuz became Set.Of course throughout history these three have changed names more times than a chameleon However it still comes back to these three, and the false system of worship that was set up in ancient babylon, by Nimrod and Semiramis.

Debbie.

Re: What does "IHS" stand for - 02/15/08 10:26 AM

There is no direct evidence of that however, it may be a traditional triumvirate of the gods which the Romans picked up from the Greeks or maybe that the Greek IHS was one of the most ancient names of Bacchus. But the trail does not lead anywhere from there in the historical records, everything from there seems to be mearly speculative unless someone has something I havent come across...

Re: What does "IHS" stand for - 02/15/08 01:58 PM

If you can find it try to read the book called the two babylons, by Rev Alexander Hislop ( http://www.biblebelievers.com/babylon/00index.htm ), it is an old book, he himself being passed off the scene many years ago, but contains a wealth of informatiion from his own research.

The evidence is out there you just have to look hard enough for it, I have heard confirming information from other sources than this book as well, so I know what he says to be accurate.

Re: What does "IHS" stand for - 02/15/08 02:36 PM

I am reading it and I am also looking at a book that refutes his contentions...

see:
The Two Babylons: A Case Study in Poor Research Methodolgy by Ralph Woodrow.

Re: What does "IHS" stand for - 02/15/08 02:57 PM

Will do, also on about a half hour or hour this morning I have found numerous websites that all back up his position.
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: What does "IHS" stand for - 02/15/08 06:51 PM

Ok, so could any of you tell me why this is important?

Re: What does "IHS" stand for - 02/16/08 12:21 AM

This issue needs a more in-depth study as just a quick superficial skim of the online sites is not enough, as this is hidden deep down in some historical record but it may have gaps over how it spread from one civilization to another....

Re: What does "IHS" stand for - 02/16/08 01:17 AM

I wasn't suggesting my research consisted only of a few websites richard! Just that the websites I was going to were backing up all my other research.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: What does "IHS" stand for - 02/16/08 04:07 AM

I always thought IHS stood for In His Service.

It seems like I am learning something new here. \:\)
Posted By: crater

Re: What does "IHS" stand for - 02/16/08 08:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett

It seems like I am learning something new here. \:\)

That was my first thought too.

But seems like I have read a more esoteric meaning in the past.

Re: What does "IHS" stand for - 02/18/08 04:18 PM

I have a feeling that is was on the Roman armies standards as one of their reference to the gods, and as they picked up the gods of other people such as the Greeks, it may have been from there. But I cant find the connection, that is what I meant by it will take deeper study, digging through historical content to see where origin is at...

Re: What does "IHS" stand for - 09/12/09 05:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Daryl F

It seems like I am learning something new here. smile

My feeling from everything I've read is they use 'In His Service' or any words that match up to it to cover its pagan origins, thus the confusion.
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: What does "IHS" stand for - 09/13/09 04:05 PM

This is the official Catholic explanation:

Quote:
IHS

A monogram of the name of Jesus Christ. From the third century the names of our Saviour are sometimes shortened, particularly in Christian inscriptions (IH and XP, for Jesus and Christus). In the next century the "sigla" (chi-rho) occurs not only as an abbreviation but also as a symbol. From the beginning, however, in Christian inscriptions the nomina sacra, or names of Jesus Christ, were shortened by contraction, thus IC and XC or IHS and XPS for Iesous Christos. These Greek monograms continued to be used in Latin during the Middle Ages. Eventually the right meaning was lost, and erroneous interpretation of IHS led to the faulty orthography "Jhesus". In Latin the learned abbreviation IHC rarely occurs after the Carlovingian era. The monogram became more popular after the twelfth century when St. Bernard insisted much on devotion to the Holy Name of Jesus, and the fourteenth, when the founder of the Jesuati, Blessed John Colombini (d. 1367), usually wore it on his breast. Towards the close of the Middle Ages IHS became a symbol, quite like the chi-rho in the Constantinian period. Sometimes above the H appears a cross and underneath three nails, while the whole figure is surrounded by rays. IHS became the accepted iconographical characteristic of St. Vincent Ferrer (d. 1419) and of St. Bernardine of Siena (d. 1444). The latter holy missionary, at the end of his sermons, was wont to exhibit this monogram devoutly to his audience, for which some blamed him; he was even called before Martin V. St. Ignatius of Loyola adopted the monogram in his seal as general of the Society of Jesus (1541), and thus it became the emblem of his institute. IHS was sometimes wrongly understood as "Jesus Hominum (or Hierosolymae) Salvator", i.e. Jesus, the Saviour of men (or of Jerusalem=Hierosolyma).

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07649a.htm

They indeed have two monograms - IHS and XP. If the letters don't stand for what the Catholics say they do, at least they found a good explanation to disguise their true meaning. smile

Also some interesting information here: "Obama had 'IHS' covered at Georgetown: Jesus Monogram or Christian Battle Slogan?"
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: What does "IHS" stand for - 09/13/09 06:35 PM

So would it most likely represent the Jesuit order nowdays?

Re: What does "IHS" stand for - 09/13/09 08:42 PM

They are part of the Jesuit emblem, but this monogram is frequently used by the Roman Catholic Church in general, not just by the Jesuits.
Posted By: Colin

Re: What does "IHS" stand for - 09/16/09 12:46 AM

Yes, and if RC at all, and Jesuit in particular, its roots are unlikely to be friendly.

The ancient heathen religious names have something, as the evidence for that underpins virtually all the Jesuit symbols.
Posted By: zyph

Re: What does "IHS" stand for - 09/18/09 02:06 PM

IHS has always stood for "Isis, Horus and Set", as I understand. And the XP symbol is a lewd one representing male and female sexual imagery. These are just two of the many pre-Christian symbols that were adopted by the early Catholic church.

"It is also a monogram representative of Dionysos used in the Mysteries. As a Latin abbreviation, having mystic significance, it means acrostically, In hoc signo victor eris (in this sign thou shalt be victorious)." From the Theosophy dictionary.

Re: What does "IHS" stand for - 09/19/09 03:57 AM

In the article "Obama had 'IHS' covered at Georgetown: Jesus Monogram or Christian Battle Slogan?" (the link to which was posted previously), Gerald T. Floyd confirms the interpretation "in hoc signus vinces":

Quote:
As a person who graduated from a Catholic grammar school, a Catholic high school and a Jesuit college, with a masters from a Jesuit school of theology and a doctorate from Berkeley’s Graduate Theological Union (which included the Jesuit, Franciscan and Dominican theology schools, along with Episcopal, Lutheran, Baptist and Unitarian), I do not recall hearing at any point in the last sixty years that IHS was any kind of monogram of the name of Jesus.

What I do recall hearing, repeatedly, was that IHS was in fact an acronym for “in hoc signo vinces” (Latin for “in this sign you shall conquer”) which Constantine, the first Roman emperor to convert to Christianity, had emblazoned on the cross that led him into battle. Constantine became Caesar in 306 and defeated other tetrarchs to become sole emperor in 324.

When someone cites the interpretation which sees IHS as a monogram of Christ's name, he replies:

Quote:
I appreciate the comment, and what you were taught in Catholic schools in Florida.

My posting did acknowledge that IHS has been interpreted along the lines you suggest.

But the TRUTH is that construing IHS as a monogram for Jesus or a title of Jesus is not the only position taken in the church historically--and for the reasons I articulated, certainly not the earliest one or the dominant one.

It's interesting that this position is not even mentioned in the Catholic Encyclopedia.

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church