Thankfulness at this time of year.

Posted By: Gerry Buck

Thankfulness at this time of year. - 12/16/02 04:23 AM

I realize that there is a lot of evidence in that Jesus was not born at this time of year, but, we really don't know when it was, so in my mind, one day is as good as another.

We need to take time to think about the greatest gift ever given to man.
It is so easy to let the 'spirit' of the season run away with us, and forget that this is supposed to be a season of GIVING, not getting.

Without the birth of the Messiah, there would have been no sacrifice for sin.

Let us give thanks at this time, to God our Saviour, for the 'gift' of His Son.
After all, isn't He supposed to be the reason for the season? [Smile]

[ December 15, 2002, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Gerry Buck ]
Posted By: Linda Sutton

Re: Thankfulness at this time of year. - 12/16/02 04:37 AM

Amen, Gerry!
Posted By: mouse

Re: Thankfulness at this time of year. - 12/16/02 09:14 AM

I had a fun day today [Smile]

Since the Lord has blessed me so very much this past year, I'm thankful I was able to give a dear "good buddy" a wonderful birthday and Christmas present!!

And cuz he wouldn't let me sing to him on the phone... here goes [Big Grin]

Happy Birthday to you...
Happy Birthday to you...
Happy Birthday dear Gerry!!
Happy Birthday to you...

And MANY more... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

(and aren't you thankful you can't hear this live [Big Grin] )

[ December 16, 2002, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: Karen ]
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Thankfulness at this time of year. - 01/11/03 07:42 AM

As we look at the new year we are into and look back at the old year that we passed through, I am thankful for the fact that I am still here and, hopefully, still in good health. [Smile]

I am also thankful that our 19 year old cat is also still with us. [Smile] He will be 19 in February, 2003.

I am also thankful that the Lord is so patient with me as I strive to do His will.

I am particularly thankful for His promises, and for the hope of His soon 2nd coming. [Smile]

Now, what are you thankful for? [Smile]
Posted By: Wendy F

Re: Thankfulness at this time of year. - 01/11/03 12:07 AM

I am thankful first and foremost for God's great grace and mercy. Everything else falls in as a result of that. I am grateful for my husband's life and health, for my children and the fact that they still have a father and mother. I am thankful that we have such loving friends and family and such strong support from people all over the world. I praise the Lord for His plan that is apparent and His leading through all the trials and tribulations that Satan sees fit to send at us, sometimes daily. I am thankful that I can be thankful even in the worst of times, and even be thankful FOR the worst of times.

God is good!

[Thank You]

Re: Thankfulness at this time of year. - 01/11/03 12:43 AM

I guess that is why we have this verse:

quote:

1 Thessalonians 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

I assume that everything means everything and not just every good thing.

Re: Thankfulness at this time of year. - 01/22/03 03:53 AM

I am thankful that even though I am full of arthritis, I can still walk.
I am r thankful that even though my health is bad, God gives me the strength to get through every day and gives me the privelege of being a help to someone that is worse off than I am, thereby putting my mind on others rather than self.
I am thankful that no matter how often I fall, Jesus will pick me up and start me back on the right path.

I am thankful for good friends, those that like me in spite of my 'shortcomings'. [Wink]

There is so much to be thankful for, but it is so easy to slip into the old habit of self pity.

Like the old saying goes; 'I used to complain I had no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet'.

Guess it's all a matter of perspective.
God bless

Re: Thankfulness at this time of year. - 04/14/03 10:58 PM

It now approaches the 'second' great 'holy' day of the mainline Christian churches.
At this time, especially in light of what has been happening in the last few months, we should take stock of what we are greatful for.

1Thess.5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
Eph.5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

We should remember to give thanks to our God for all He has and is and will do for us.

Proverbs17:22 A merry heart doeth good [like] a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

From my perspective, a merry heart is a thankful heart, and vice versa, it's hard to have a heavy heart when you are concentrating on what you are thankful for. [Reading] [Heart]

Re: Thankfulness at this time of year. - 04/14/03 11:05 PM

Amen, Gerry! [Smile]

I am even thankful for the opportunity to be thankful. [Big Grin]

By that I mean that I am thankful for the breath that is in my nostrils that gives me the opportunity to share my thankfulness here.

I am particularly thankful at this time of the year for the sacrifice that Jesus Christ made for us on the tree of Calvary. He actually came to this earth to die for us. A few months ago we celebrated His birth, and now we remember His death, and His resurrection, and the looking forward to the day in which those of us who have accepted His sacrifice for us, will either be resurrected or translated to meet Him in the air at His second coming to this earth.
Posted By: Zita

Re: Thankfulness at this time of year. - 05/31/03 04:34 AM

I am thankful as we 'British people' celebrate the Queen's Birthday this weekend, that we do have a Monarchy that has not been greedy as in some countries where the people's living standards are so neglected, or in other countries where there is so much fear and terror as in Iraq.
That we live in a country free to worship God.
for this I am very thankful.

Re: Thankfulness at this time of year. - 05/31/03 04:38 AM

We celebrated the Queen's Birthday, known as Victoria Day, here in Canada on Monday, May 19, 2003 which is a Federal Holiday. [Smile]
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church