The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament

Posted By: crater

The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/13/07 05:08 AM

Quote:
As in the Old Testament the twelve patriarchs stood as representatives of Israel, so the twelve apostles stand as representatives of the gospel church. {AA 19.1}

Who are considered the twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament?

Are they the 12 progenitors of the Tribes of Israel? or Others?
Posted By: asygo

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/13/07 10:42 AM

I believe Jacob's 12 sons.
Posted By: Charity

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/20/07 12:04 PM

The reference in Acts of the Apostles is to the 12 sons of Israel (Jacob). Adam, Seth, Enoch, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and many if not all of the line between Seth and Abraham would also be patriarchs.

In the SOP she seems to use that term for those godly men from the line of Seth who lived before the Exodus. But any godly man, married or not is eligible for that term IMO. I view my father-in-law, now resting in peace, in that way. And any godly woman is eligible for the term matriarch if she is a 'mother in Isreal'.

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/24/07 10:57 PM

The names of the 12 tribes of Israel are written on the gates to the new Jerusalem. (Rev 21:12)

I seem to recall from some past study, that the name of the tribe of Dan is missing from being written on the gates to the new Jerusalem (due to their idolatry), but I haven't been able to find it in scripture.

Does anyone know anything about this? I do not recall where I got the notion. I was thinking it was in scripture but I haven't been able to find it in my search. Anyone know of a scriptural or SOP reference?
Posted By: Will

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/25/07 02:26 AM

I think there were 2 tribes missing, or one that was originally removed got added in Revelation which was Manasseh. I have that info laying around somewhere, and provide what I have later on.
God Bless,
Will
Posted By: Daryl

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/25/07 02:36 AM

I am also trying to locate some quotes, however, so far, I am having trouble finding any of them.

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/25/07 07:46 AM

If you have some notes on it that would be great. I have been racking my brain trying to recall where I had gotten the the idea that Dan's name was not written on a gate.

I did find the gates of the city shall be after the names of the tribes of Israel in Ezekiel, but Dan is included. Joseph is there rather then his two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh who had been "adopted" by Israel and received Joseph's double birthright blessing and represented him as two tribes of Israel.
 Quote:
Ezekiel 48:31-34 (King James Version)

31And the gates of the city shall be after the names of the tribes of Israel: three gates northward; one gate of Reuben, one gate of Judah, one gate of Levi.

32And at the east side four thousand and five hundred: and three gates; and one gate of Joseph, one gate of Benjamin, one gate of Dan.

33And at the south side four thousand and five hundred measures: and three gates; one gate of Simeon, one gate of Issachar, one gate of Zebulun.

34At the west side four thousand and five hundred, with their three gates; one gate of Gad, one gate of Asher, one gate of Naphtali.

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/25/07 05:52 PM

In Numbers Chapter 2 the Tribes of Israel are given according to the arrangement of the camp, and each camp had it's own standard, around the "Tabernacle in the wilderness". It appears that the arrangement here is different the arrangement of the "names of the gates," spoken of by Ezekiel.

Quote:
2Every man of the children of Israel shall pitch by his own standard, with the ensign of their father's house: far off about the tabernacle of the congregation shall they pitch.

3And on the east side toward the rising of the sun shall they of the standard of the camp of Judah pitch. . . 5And those that do pitch next unto him shall be the tribe of Issachar. . . 7Then the tribe of Zebulun.

10On the south side shall be the standard of the camp of Reuben. . . 12And those which pitch by him shall be the tribe of Simeon. . . 14Then the tribe of Gad.

17Then the tabernacle of the congregation shall set forward with the camp of the Levites in the midst of the camp: as they encamp, so shall they set forward, every man in his place by their standards.

18On the west side shall be the standard of the camp of Ephraim. . . 20And by him shall be the tribe of Manasseh. . . 22Then the tribe of Benjamin.

25The standard of the camp of Dan shall be on the north side by their armies. . . 27And those that encamp by him shall be the tribe of Asher. . . 29Then the tribe of Naphtali.

33But the Levites were not numbered among the children of Israel; as the LORD commanded Moses.

34And the children of Israel did according to all that the LORD commanded Moses: so they pitched by their standards, and so they set forward, every one after their families, according to the house of their fathers.

I find it interesting that according to tradition, the standard of the Tribe of Judah had a Lion on it. Christ is called the "Lion of the Tribe of Judah." That of the Tribe of Rueben had the likeness of a man's head. That of the Tribe of Ephraim had the figure of an ox and that of the Tribe of Dan had the symbol of an eagle. This is similar to, Ezekiel's vision of the four living creatures in the "Ezekiel saw the wheel vision" in Ezekiel 1.

Quote:
Ezekiel 1:10 (King James Version)
10As for the likeness of their faces, they four had the face of a man, and the face of a lion, on the right side: and they four had the face of an ox on the left side; they four also had the face of an eagle.

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/25/07 07:22 PM

Interesting observation, as I never previously connected it to the tribes of Israel.

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/26/07 09:19 AM

The names of the 12 Tribes of Israel ingraved upon the "Remembrance Stones"

Upon the two sardonyx stones also, were written the names of the Tribes of Israel. The names were written according to their birth, upon two stones, six names engraved upon one stone and six names engraved upon the other. This was part of the high priest garment.

Quote:
Exodus 28:9-12 (King James Version)

9And thou shalt take two onyx stones, and grave on them the names of the children of Israel:

10Six of their names on one stone, and the other six names of the rest on the other stone, according to their birth.

11With the work of an engraver in stone, like the engravings of a signet, shalt thou engrave the two stones with the names of the children of Israel: thou shalt make them to be set in ouches of gold.

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/28/07 01:24 PM

The two tribes that are the "Lost Tribes" are Ephraim & Dan. Both did many things against the Lord, but did not look unto the Lord to be saved basically.
God Bless,
Will

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/28/07 01:36 PM

Will,

Do you have references/quotes for that?

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/29/07 03:06 AM

The book is called "The Cross and it's shadow" by Stephen Haskell, the chapter is called Lost Tribes, but apparently it is not mentioned in the online book and even that chapter is not available. What I can do is type up the highlights of each of the tribes problem. I will have to summarize it somehow, but that is an option.
God Bless,
Will

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/29/07 03:15 AM

I have that book, therefore, I will look up that chapter and read it for myself. \:\)

If I see anything real interesting, I will, either quote it, or post about it here.

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/29/07 03:19 AM

You can also look at Revelation 7 where Ephraim & Dan are not mentioned.
There was idolatry, and I believe Jereboam caused the people of Israel to sin by making golden calf's and he said that they had delivered them from Egypt etc etc.

However it is important to note that the other tribes were not always righteous, such as the tribe of Asher, but eventually the people of these tribes looked unto the Lord even though they had all these faults whereas Ephraim & Dan did not.

I can attempt to scan the pages from the Lost Tribes and make it available, but I have to make sure its a good quality, and its a few pages, and never having done that I am not sure how big the files would be.I'll see what I can figure out.
God Bless,
Will

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/29/07 03:25 AM

Here's an idea. The verses for the tribes falling, BUT I did find an error in the chapter.
You see the author said that When the tabernacle was built in the wilderness, God especially endowed Aholiab of he tribe of Dan with wisdom to devise cunning works of gold etc etc. This is not correct because it was Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur of the tribe of Judah.
This is on page 374, and the verses used for it is Ex.31:3-6, so keep that part in mind.
God Bless,
Will

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/29/07 03:32 AM

It is actually the very last chapter.

Interesting reading, however, it will take some time to post some of the relevant information here that would relate to the intent of this topic, but, if my intent doesn't fail me, I hope to eventually post it here, unless Will beats me to it, which I hope he will. \:\)

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/29/07 03:36 AM

Will,

I just noticed your other posts here.

If you can "scan the pages from the Lost Tribes and make it available", that will be great! \:\)

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/29/07 04:09 AM

I'll make a test scan and see how it looks.
God Bless,
Will

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/29/07 07:45 AM

When one of you gets the time to scan, I am very interested in seeing what the book has to say. When was the book first published?

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/29/07 08:24 AM

Will, thanks for the text of Rev. 7. It must be the text I have been searching for, as so far this is the only listing of the tribes that has Dan missing, as well as Ephriam, one of Joseph's sons, and "birthright replacement heir", Ephriam.

I see that that the scripture is talking about the 144,000, rather than the gates of the New Jerusalem. This listing seems a bit unusual as Joseph as well as his other son, and "birthright replacement heir", Manasses are both listed. Usually if Joseph is listed his two sons aren't as they would be included under him.

When the tribes split, Judah and Benjamin were the two tribes together along with the Levites, Scripture appears to refer to them as the nation of Judah or at times Jacob.

The 10 tribes were referred to in Scripture as Israel or Ephraim.

Quote:
Revelation 7 (King James Version)
4And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.

5Of the tribe of Juda were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Reuben were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Gad were sealed twelve thousand.

6Of the tribe of Aser were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Nephthalim were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Manasses were sealed twelve thousand.

7Of the tribe of Simeon were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Levi were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Issachar were sealed twelve thousand.

8Of the tribe of Zabulon were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Joseph were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Benjamin were sealed twelve thousand.

9After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;

10And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

11And all the angels stood round about the throne, and about the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God,

12Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.

13And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they?

14And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/29/07 09:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Will
Here's an idea. The verses for the tribes falling, BUT I did find an error in the chapter.
You see the author said that When the tabernacle was built in the wilderness, God especially endowed Aholiab of he tribe of Dan with wisdom to devise cunning works of gold etc etc. This is not correct because it was Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur of the tribe of Judah.
This is on page 374, and the verses used for it is Ex.31:3-6, so keep that part in mind.
God Bless,
Will

It appears to me from reading Exodus 31:2-6, that the author was partially correct, as verse six says: I have given with him Aholiab, the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan: and in the hearts of all that are wise hearted I have put wisdom, that they may make all that I have commanded thee. Perhaps a noted difference regarding the two mentioned men is that, the Lord called Bezaleel by name? Bezaleel was also filled with the spirit of God. In other workmen, including Aholiab, the Lord put in their hearts wisdom, to make all that was commanded by the Lord.

From reading Judges, the tribe of Dan did seem to like to make images of gold to worship.

Quote:
Exodus 31:2-6 (King James Version)
2See, I have called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah:

3And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,

4To devise cunning works, to work in gold, and in silver, and in brass,

5And in cutting of stones, to set them, and in carving of timber, to work in all manner of workmanship.

6And I, behold, I have given with him Aholiab, the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan: and in the hearts of all that are wise hearted I have put wisdom, that they may make all that I have commanded thee;

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/29/07 09:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Will
The book is called "The Cross and it's shadow" by Stephen Haskell, the chapter is called Lost Tribes, but apparently it is not mentioned in the online book and even that chapter is not available. What I can do is type up the highlights of each of the tribes problem. I will have to summarize it somehow, but that is an option.
God Bless,
Will

This chapter The One Hundred and Forty-Four Thousand Chapter 49 in "The Cross and It's Shadow", seems to correspond with Rev 7, regarding the 144, 000. Yes I see from the table of contents that there in no Lost Tribes chapter listed. What is the chapter number for Lost Tribes in the hard copy of the Book?

Quote:
The Cross and Its Shadow, SECTION IX. The Tribes of Israel, The second paragraph from the chapter 49: The redeemed of the Lord are an innumerable company, which no man can number; but among that multitude is one separate company, who are numbered and are designated by their number,–one hundred and forty-four thousand. This company is composed of twelve different divisions, each containing twelve thousand redeemed souls; and each division bears the name of one of the twelve tribes of Israel. (Rev. 7:4-8) The list given in Revelation varies somewhat from the list of the twelve sons of Jacob, (1 Chr. 2:1,2) as Dan is omitted, and the extra division is given the name of Manasseh, Joseph's eldest son.

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/29/07 03:48 PM

The chapter for The Lost Tribes is the very next chapter, chapter 50 (chapter L using Roman Numerals, as the Hard Copy shows it as). It is the very last chapter of the book.

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/29/07 03:56 PM

Upon comparing the online index to the one in the book, I noticed they left out the following chapters under Section IX:

37 - Reuben
38 - Simeon
39 - Levi
40 - Judah
41 - Naphtali
42 - Gad
43 - Asher
44 - Issachar
45 - Zebulun
46 - Joseph
47 - Benjamin
48 - Manasseh
50 - The Lost Tribes

I wonder why they left out all of the above chapters?

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/29/07 06:12 PM

Now, this book The Cross and Its Shadow is becoming more intriguing, with the "mystery" of why the 13 chapters were excluded!

I notice that the author left out the tribes of Ephriam and Dan, but perhaps the chapter entitled "The Lost Tribes" is referring to them?

The home page seems to be The Pioneer Adventist Writings. I don't see an indication of who's site it is.

Perhaps someone didn't like what he said about the tribes? Then I have to question, how many of the other books that are listed are abridged or something?

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/29/07 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: crater
Now, this book The Cross and Its Shadow is becoming more intriguing, with the "mystery" of why the 13 chapters were excluded!

I notice that the author left out the tribes of Ephriam and Dan, but perhaps the chapter entitled "The Lost Tribes" is referring to them?

The home page seems to be The Pioneer Adventist Writings. I don't see an indication of who's site it is.

Perhaps someone didn't like what he said about the tribes? Then I have to question, how many of the other books that are listed are abridged or something?

I just did a little more "snooping" the The Author and designer of the Website is Ulrike Unruh, an SDA living in Canada.

The actual homepage is Adventist Biblical Truths.
 Quote:
The purpose of this website is to show the Biblical, Christ centered truths of Adventist beliefs. Special attention is given to the great plan of salvation in Christ, whose ministry is illustrated through the sanctuary and issues involving God's people at the end of time.

Looks like a good site.

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 04/29/07 07:29 PM

Yes, the chapter on The Lost Tribes is referring to the tribes of Ephriam and Dan.

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 06/18/07 11:03 PM

The Cross and It's Shadow It looks like the complete book is on this site. It has a chapter 50 entitle The Lost Tribes.

Re: The twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament - 06/20/07 05:43 PM

for this link that includes Chapter 50. \:\)
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church