The Date "October 22", 1844

Posted By: Avalee

The Date "October 22", 1844 - 03/04/02 02:43 AM

I did not post my question with the topic of 1844 that is already started as it is different.

Does anyone know how the exact date of October 22 came to be? I can figure out the 1844 date from the Bible and studying Daniel. But how did the date October 22 come about?

Posted By: Charity

Re: The Date "October 22", 1844 - 03/04/02 02:18 PM

Avalee, I'm not sure what you're asking, but I think you are asking how the pioneers of the church arrived at October 22, 1844 as being the end of the 2300 days rather than the rabbinical Day of Atonement which, in 1844 fell in late September. Bob Pickle has written a paper on this - http://www.pickle-publishing.com/papers/karaite-reckoning-1844.htm that is a good answer.

In a nutshell, the pioneers looked in the bible on how to interpret the Jewish calendar to determine the date of the Day of Atonement for 1844, and they then corroborated their findings by reviewing the interpretations of the Jews. They found that most Jews did not follow the biblical calender, but that the Karaite Jews did, and that these Jews celebrated the Day of Atonement on October 22 in 1844.

Posted By: Avalee

Re: The Date "October 22", 1844 - 03/04/02 06:05 PM

Thank you Mark. Yes that is what I am asking. I looked up on a Jewish Calendar for that date back in 1844 and it gave some date late in September. Then someone showed me their book, Midnight Cry, and in a footnote it told about the Karaite Jews. So I did a search on them to see if they also had a calendar online. So far I have not been able to find one. I did find some links to them and pages that said they used different time reckoning than the other Jews. There was one link that is quite strange on one of the Karaite Jew pages that is telling we are wrong in this date of October 22...I had the feeling maybe they had an agenda against us maybe.

http://www.truthorfables.com/Day_of_Atonement_of_the_Karaite.htm

Thanks again for answering my post and the link to go read.

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church