Why does God make it so hard to believe?

Posted By: Mountain Man

Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/29/05 06:53 PM

Why does God make it so hard to believe? Put another way, Why doesn't God make it easier to believe? Why is He so invisible, so silent, so absent, so far away, so detached, so uninvolved? I don't get it? I mean, if He so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, why isn't He doing more to make it easier to believe in Him now, today?

2 Peter
3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

This is true. All things do continue as they were from creation. God said as much Himself. "While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease." Gen 8:22. So, who can blame someone for having a hard time believing in God?

During the outpouring of the seven last plagues the unsaved will confess God is who He says He is. "And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Phil 2:11. Why can't God do something spectacular every new generation to help people believe, before it's too late? Why is He so invisible, so silent, so absent, so far away, so detached, so uninvolved?
Posted By: debbie

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/29/05 08:41 PM

Why did Jesus not perform a miracle before all the people who wanted to kill Him? They would have believed in Him then if He had!! They even asked him to do a miracle.

God wants us to believe in Him no matter what. No matter what is happening in our lives, He wants us to believe in Him. Doesn't He keep you safe Mike? Did the sun still rise in the east? Do you not have a place to sleep and food to eat?

Just in creation alone is enough evidence that God is alive and well. How much more evidence do we need?

God often works in quiet mysterious ways that we often do not see. Someday in Heaven we will understand more clearly.
Posted By: Davros

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/29/05 09:37 PM

Two things;

quote:
But Jesus Said, "A prophret is taken for granted in his hometown and his family." He didn't do many miracles there because of their hostile indifference.
Matthew 13:58 The Message

quote:
There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in tornts, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
Luke 16:16 - 31 KJV

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/30/05 12:15 AM

Yes, but we're talking about a generation of people who are far removed from the days of Jesus, far removed from the miraculous things recorded in the OT and NT. God is no respecter of persons. He makes the sun to shine on good and evil alike. Christians do not have a monopoly on good fortune and happiness and peace of mind.

Where I live, here in Flagstaff, New Agers abound. Most of them are peace loving, good natured people, who do well and treat others with love and kindness. They are Christlike in many ways. They are slow to anger, quick to forgive, and ready to help anyone in need. They are humble and hard working people. They are honest, mild mannered, prudent, conservative and gentle.

The things that happened in the Bible happened so long ago that in most cases the initial impact it had on mankind and society is gone. Since it is possible to experience satisfaction and peace of mind without having faith in Jesus, why would anyone be motivated to embrace a religion with such a sordid history? It doesn't take long looking around to realize that most Christians are miserable hypocrites.

Can you really blame someone for not accepting Jesus as their personal Saviour? From their point of view, Jesus really isn't all that personal. He is so invisible, so silent, so absent, so far away, so detached, so uninvolved. What has Jesus done lately that would convince someone that He is real, that He cares? It's not like they are rejecting overwhelming evidence. It's to believe something that supposedly happened 2,000 years ago.

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/30/05 12:22 AM

For those people you are talking about, I would say that they have probobly never given their faith a test. Thay have never even tried to discover Jesus. The law and the prophets had been dead for centurys when Jesus told the parable of the rich man and Lazurus. but he still expected the people of that day to understand and accept. He also referd to Jonha in the same way.

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/30/05 01:57 AM

I find it hard to believe that God isn't willing to do something so amazing that a person would have to work at rejecting the evidence in order to believe there is no higher power than self or mother nature or some other non-Christian notion. I don't think most spiritually minded people are looking for excuses to reject Christianity, it's just that there isn't any tangible evidence that suggests it's the only path that leads to peace and happiness.

Why should believing there is only one true God and path be the primary obstacle blocking the way to Jesus? Why wouldn't God do something in our day and age to make it cyrstal clear that He is the one and only true God, and that the plan of salvation is the only one and true path that leads to peace and happiness?

I think the real issue, the real fight of faith, shouldn't include wondering if there really is a God. Instead, I think God should do something to eliminate all doubt as to whether or not He is real so people can focus on what is really important - rebirth, victory over sin, and the fruits of the Spirit. It's these things that help us develop Christlike traits of character, which also vindicate the kingdom and character of God Himself.

Do you see what I mean? What radical thing could God do, without violating the great controversy rules of engagement, that would eliminate all doubt as to whether or not He exists? How can someone believe in something that they're not sure even exists?
Posted By: V. Hahn

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/30/05 03:37 AM

I asked this same type of question to someone once, and they explained to me that this would take away a person's free choice. Perhaps if God made it irrefutable that there is a God, this would provoke open and total rebellion. But now, when God is quiet, people have time to reflect, learn, grow, accept, and they don't have to make an instant decision. And of course, like previously mentioned, no matter how much evidence some people are given, they will not believe.

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/30/05 04:16 AM

I don't how see it would rob people of free choice, rather wouldn't it provide them with a choice? How can God expect anyone to decide for or against Him if they aren't even sure He exists? God took the time, years ago, to reveal Himself in such a way that it left no one with any doubt as to whether or not He existed. Yet, it was still up to them to choose to serve Him or not. Where is the evidence today that God exists? Evidence that doesn't require faith to believe?
Posted By: Tom

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/30/05 04:18 AM

The issue is not that people don't know about God, but that they don't want to follow Him. It's not God's fault, because what can made known about God He has made known to them. Jesus is the true light that lightens everyone who comes into the world.

However, those who claim to represent God make His case much more difficult when the God they represent is nothing like the true God.

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/30/05 04:26 AM

Tom, I would hazard to guess that a great many people on this planet have never heard about the true God, let alone Jesus. How can they believe in something they don't know anything about?

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/30/05 04:51 AM

It has never been God's way to give miricales to help people believe. If there are people who do not know about Jesus, it is our job to tell them. That was the commission Christ gave.
Posted By: John Boskovic

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/30/05 06:22 AM

quote:
Where is the evidence today that God exists? Evidence that doesn't require faith to believe?
How would having evidence, that does not require faith, help in establishing faith?

Here is an equivalent Question:

How would you give evidence of Love so that those who hate will know that you love them without them ever knowing what love is?

Shalom

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/30/05 06:34 AM

quote:
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. (Rom. 1:18, 19)
quote:
That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. (John 1:9)

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/30/05 08:09 AM

How can people believe God is the only true God if there is no tangible evidence that God exists? How can they be guilty of wilfully rejecting the truth about God if there is no physical proof that God even exists? Where is the proof that God exists, and that He is the only one and true God? Where is the proof that all other higher powers or gods are false gods? What about all the people who are doing just fine without having faith in Jesus? Where is the proof that having faith in Jesus is the only thing that leads to true peace and happiness? Why would anybody be attracted to a dysfunctional religion if they are already experiencing peace and happiness without having faith in Jesus?
Posted By: V. Hahn

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/30/05 04:42 PM

Hi, Mike,

I am too new on this forum to know, but are you asking these questions to promote discussion or do you really, personally, have these questions/doubts?

I do feel that each person is born with an innate need to worship. As some say, there is a God-sized hole in each person that needs to be filled.
Some fill it with the true God, others with God-substitutes like heroin, alcohol, idols, false gods, meditation, suicide...

To the seeking soul, God will be made evident. To the believer, there are proofs everywhere. The Holy Spirit is striving with every single person on this planet.

Many questions won't be answered for reasons only God knows. Many things are left a mystery and we don't know the "whys" of everything. We may have to save these questions for Jesus when we sit at His feet in heaven.

May we all seek Him with all our hearts.

Vicki

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/30/05 05:45 PM

Well, here is how Jesus felt about giving a sing or miracle to help belief:

quote:
He sighed deeply and said, “Why does this generation ask for a miraculous sign? I tell you the truth, no sign will be given to it.”
Mark 8:12 NIV

quote:
He answered, “A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.
Matthew 12:39 NIV

quote:
A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a miraculous sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” Jesus then left them and went away.
Matthew 16:4 NIV

It seems that Jesus felt that requiring a sing for belief was "wicked."

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/30/05 06:13 PM

Vicki, I am a believer. I am asking these questions to get help from fellow believers so I can help non-believers choose to become believers.

Dave, yes, God doesn't think doing miracles is the best way to make believers out of non-believers. But Jesus did say, "Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake." John 14:11. But I'm not suggesting that God do miracles. I'm simply asking why doesn't He appear in the sky or something and declare His existence and will for mankind, in a way doesn't consume us in our sins prematurely?

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/30/05 06:17 PM

For one reason or another Jesus feels revealing Himself in the sky, or whatever, isn't the best way to help us proclaim the gospel. It doesn't make perfect sense to me now, but I accept it. Here is what I found so far. We, born again believers, are the evidence that God exists. The way we live our lives tells for or against the truth about God's existence and His will for the human race.

Isaiah
43:8 Bring forth the blind people that have eyes, and the deaf that have ears.
43:9 Let all the nations be gathered together, and let the people be assembled: who among them can declare this, and show us former things? let them bring forth their witnesses, that they may be justified: or let them hear, and say, [It is] truth.
43:10 Ye [are] my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I [am] he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
43:11 I, [even] I, [am] the LORD; and beside me [there is] no saviour.
43:12 I have declared, and have saved, and I have showed, when [there was] no strange [god] among you: therefore ye [are] my witnesses, saith the LORD, that I [am] God.

John
17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
17:18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
17:19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
17:20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, [art] in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
17:22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
17:23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

ED 57
The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall. {Ed 57.3}

But such a character is not the result of accident; it is not due to special favors or endowments of Providence. A noble character is the result of self-discipline, of the subjection of the lower to the higher nature--the surrender of self for the service of love to God and man. {Ed 57.4}

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/30/05 06:21 PM

A non-believer can read the Bible all day long, can listen to the still, small voice of the Holy Spirit day in and day out, but if there are no believers experiencing the promises of God - then the word of God is an insult to their hopes and dreams. How important, then, is it that we, as the remnant people of God, imitate the sinless example of Jesus, that we stop making excuses for our frequent failures, that we start living our lives in such a way that there is no doubt, in the minds of the onlooking world and universe, that God is everything He says about Himself in the Bible!

Everything depends upon the children of God, the people of the remnant church, to prove that righteousness by faith is real and that it works wonderfully. God's reputation is at stake. The entire great controversy falls or stands on it. If God cannot produce perfect people then it's His word against Satan's.

DA 671
Of the Spirit Jesus said, "He shall glorify Me." The Saviour came to glorify the Father by the demonstration of His love; so the Spirit was to glorify Christ by revealing His grace to the world. The very image of God is to be reproduced in humanity. The honor of God, the honor of Christ, is involved in the perfection of the character of His people. {DA 671.3}
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/30/05 08:35 PM

Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Provide the evidence and you take away the faith.

Romans 14:23 says, "But, the one doubting, if he eats, he has been condemned, because it is not of faith; and all that is not of faith is sin."

What does it mean by all that is not of faith is sin?

And what about Christ's response below in relatioh to what Thomas had said?

John 20:29
Jesus said to him, Thomas, because you have seen Me you have believed. Blessed are they who have not seen and have believed.

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/31/05 01:18 AM

quote:
Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

I don't think this is what the verse had in mind. That is, the interpretation you are suggesting (unless I misunderstood it, which is certainly possible) seems to be saying that faith should not be based on evidence, or is not based on evidence. But that is the very opposite of what God is saying, which is that faith *is* based on evidence.

quote:
God never asks us to believe, without giving sufficient evidence upon which to base our faith. His existence, His character, the truthfulness of His Word, are all established by testimony that appeals to our reason; and this testimony is abundant. Yet God has never removed the possibility of doubt. Our faith must rest upon evidence, not demonstration. Those who wish to doubt will have opportunity; while those who really desire to know the truth, will find plenty of evidence on which to rest their faith. (Steps to Christ 105 (1892))
quote:
God gives sufficient evidence to every soul. He does not promise to remove every doubt, but He gives a reason for faith. (MS 127, 1899)
Maybe what you meant is that God will not remove every doubt. But faith is certainly based on evidence. The stronger our faith becomes, the clearer that evidence is in our minds.

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/31/05 04:27 AM

I've had a thought. Perhaps God does not make it hard to beliveve, but it is the devil/sin that dose.

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/31/05 04:33 AM

Not knowing whether or not there is a one and only true God is a legitimate stumbling block for people. Not everybody today is in the same position that Paul spoke about in the following passage:

Romans
1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath showed [it] unto them.
1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

ED 134
"The invisible things of Him since the creation of the world are . . . perceived through the things that are made, even His everlasting power and divinity." Romans 1:20, R.V. But their testimony can be understood only through the aid of the divine Teacher. {Ed 134.3}

8T 256
And through man's disobedience a change was wrought in nature itself. Marred by the curse of sin, nature can bear but an imperfect testimony regarding the Creator. It cannot reveal His character in its perfection. {8T 256.1}

Not everybody today is in the same position Sister White spoke about in the following passage:

DA 537
That mighty miracle was the crowning evidence offered by God to men that He had sent His Son into the world for their salvation. It was a demonstration of divine power sufficient to convince every mind that was under the control of reason and enlightened conscience. Many who witnessed the resurrection of Lazarus were led to believe on Jesus. But the hatred of the priests against Him was intensified. They had rejected all lesser evidence of His divinity, and they were only enraged at this new miracle. The dead had been raised in the full light of day, and before a crowd of witnesses. No artifice could explain away such evidence. For this very reason the enmity of the priests grew deadlier. They were more than ever determined to put a stop to Christ's work. {DA 537.1}

Things are very much different today. Being this far removed from Eden and the Cross unbelievers need, more than ever before, clear and convincing evidence that God is everything He says about Himself in the Bible. He has set up His remnant believers to be that proof! Now, more than ever, we need to experience righteousness by faith so that our unbelieving brothers and sisters can see in us a reason to accept Jesus as their personal Saviour. What more can we do?

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/31/05 04:40 AM

AH 33
The greatest evidence of the power of Christianity that can be presented to the world is a well-ordered, well-disciplined family. This will recommend the truth as nothing else can, for it is a living witness of its practical power upon the heart. {AH 32.2}

AH 36
A well-ordered Christian household is a powerful argument in favor of the reality of the Christian religion--an argument that the infidel cannot gainsay. {AH 36.2}

UL 156
The real evidence of a living God is not merely in theory; it is in the conviction which God has written in our hearts, illuminated and explained by His words. {UL 156.3}
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/31/05 04:57 AM

quote:

I was thinking of evidence which in the sense of sight would remove all faith.

Faith, in the sense of believing in that which you can't see as if you could actually see it, isn't evidence in the way we think of evidence today, but is really faith in the highest sense of the word.
Posted By: John Boskovic

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/31/05 06:57 AM

quote:
I've had a thought. Perhaps God does not make it hard to beliveve, but it is the devil/sin that dose.
Very true indeed. Sin's basis of existence is doubt. The basis of righteousness is faith.

Shalom

P.S. I will be gone on a three week trip to europe. May God bless you all and have a blessed discussion.

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/31/05 07:57 AM

It's true that by faith we believe things we can't see, but lot's of people believe things which they can't see which is just hooey. (hope I spelled that right). We want to believe things which are true, and the truth is based on evidence. The evidence is itself evidence which is not seen, but it is never the less evidence.

I think it's important that we understand that faith is based on evidence, and that we understand what that evidence is, so we have a reason for our faith.

Are we saying the same thing?

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/31/05 08:09 AM

quote:
Faith, in the sense of believing in that which you can't see as if you could actually see it, isn't evidence in the way we think of evidence today, but is really faith in the highest sense of the word.
Daryl, does God expect unbelievers to have this kind of faith in an invisible God? Since God chooses not to appear in the sky to prove His existence, for reasons that make sense to Him, then what tangible, physical evidence does He provide as a substitute today to convince unbelievers of His existence? Evidence must be visible before we can have faith in the invisible, right?
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/31/05 09:03 AM

For some the the living world and how its made up is the requested evidence, for others it is the living testimony from believers. Im sure there are lots of other evidences too.

/Thomas
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/31/05 04:18 PM

quote:
But I'm not suggesting that God do miracles. I'm simply asking why doesn't He appear in the sky or something and declare His existence and will for mankind, in a way doesn't consume us in our sins prematurely?
Mike,

God did so in the past, but what was the result? He manifested Himself in awful majesty on top of Mount Sinai and declared His existence and will for mankind, in a way that people could see it without being consumed. However, a few days later they had forgotten all about it and were worshiping a golden calf! Do you think that if God did the same today people would react differently? Were the israelites different from the rest of mankind? I don’t think so.

God’s Spirit works in every heart, and those who follow the impressions of the Spirit will be saved:

“Those whom Christ commends in the judgment [Matt. 25] may have known little of theology, but they have cherished His principles. Through the influence of the divine Spirit they have been a blessing to those about them. Even among the heathen are those who have cherished the spirit of kindness; before the words of life had fallen upon their ears, they have befriended the missionaries, even ministering to them at the peril of their own lives. Among the heathen are those who worship God ignorantly, those to whom the light is never brought by human instrumentality, yet they will not perish. Though ignorant of the written law of God, they have heard His voice speaking to them in nature, and have done the things that the law required. Their works are evidence that the Holy Spirit has touched their hearts, and they are recognized as the children of God.”{DA 638}

When I was spending some days at the house of my sister-in-law in December, I talked to a neighbor of hers who did not believe God. But, as we talked, this lady told how, when she was young, one of her children was running a temperature every day. The child was submitted to all possible exams, but no cause was found for the fever. At last doctors admitted they couldn’t do anything else to help the child, except waiting to see what would happen. The lady, not knowing what else to do, asked God to heal the child. On that same day the fever left the child and never returned. Yet this lady later ceased believing in God.

Which reminds me of the little boy who was up on the sloping roof of his father’s garage, when he started to slide and was in danger of falling off the edge. Frantically he cried out, “God, save me! God, save, me!” Just then his trousers got caught on a nail, and he stopped. “Oh, forget it, God,” he said, “my pants got caught.”

Faith depends on the attitude of the heart, not on what God does.

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 03/31/05 06:46 PM

Yes, apparently Jesus’ physical presence would have been a hindrance to mankind, which is one of the reason He returned to heaven. Also, the life and death of Jesus is powerless without the influence of the Holy Spirit, which is why Jesus sent Him. Anyone who claims to have perfect peace and happiness, without Jesus, is lying. Or, they haven’t a clue what real peace and happiness is, which is why it is so important that God's remnant believers reflect the glory of God in all that they think, say, and do.

John
16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

HP 337
Christ said, "It is expedient for you that I go away." No one could then have any preference because of his location or personal contact with Christ. The Saviour would be accessible to all alike, spiritually, and in this sense He would be nearer to us all than if He had not ascended on high. {HP 337.2}

LHU 191
The Spirit was to be given as a regenerating agent, and without this the sacrifice of Christ would have been of no avail… It is the Spirit that makes effectual what has been wrought out by the world's Redeemer. {LHU 191.3}

AG 196
Never will the human heart know happiness until it is submitted to be molded by the Spirit of God. {AG 196.4}

OHC 150
When a man is filled with the Spirit, the more severely he is tested and tried, the more clearly he proves that he is a representative of Christ. {OHC 150.5}

RC 22
Heaven is free from all sin, from all defilement and impurity; and if we would live in its atmosphere, if we would behold the glory of Christ, we must be pure in heart, perfect in character through His grace and righteousness. {RC 22.5}

1SM 135
The period of great spiritual light, if that light is not sacredly cherished and acted upon, will be turned into a time of corresponding spiritual darkness. {1SM 135.1}
Posted By: Restin

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 04/01/05 04:07 PM

I sometimes have this problem but used to have it more before God turned my whole life upside down in fruit-basket-upset. I used to be so insecure that I would get overly dependent on certain people in my life who were truly idols within my soul. I realized how bad this was, with anxiety and rejection always tormenting me. I knew it was supposed to be God, that was the center of my selfhood, not another weak human, but I just couldn't change it. But, with therapy and lots of talking to myself and God, this did change. The sinful idol worship was gradually replaced.

The freedom and strength I gained can't be imagined unless you've been there, done that. I realize now that my deep unconscious trusts God even better than I do. If some trial comes up, like some financial problem or some issue with a mean neighbor, I find myself staying steady and trusting deep inside where it really counts. So, even if I would like to see proof of God's existence, such as a miracle or seeing an angel, or Jesus himself, that would be just great. But I really do have all the proof I need in how God changed me from weakness to strength in a way I never could have done by will power without Him. When the Holy Spirit fills that empty place in your heart, that's better proof than anything you can see with your physical eyes.

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 04/02/05 05:26 AM

quote:
But I really do have all the proof I need in how God changed me from weakness to strength in a way I never could have done by will power without Him. When the Holy Spirit fills that empty place in your heart, that's better proof than anything you can see with your physical eyes.
Very nice!

Proof of God's existence for me is the Gospel. It's beyond the human mind to devise such a beautiful and profound thing. When we've seen Jesus, we've see the Father, and that also is proof.

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 04/04/05 02:14 AM

Yes, the gospel is a beautiful concept, and an even more beautiful reality. But the majority of the World's population disagree. And, even those who claim to agree miss the mark miserably. "For many are called, but few are chosen." Matt 22:14. Why? If the gospel is so wonderful, why isn't it more obvious, more evident?

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 04/04/05 07:33 AM

The problem is not with the Gospel, but with people who either have never understood it (the vast majority) or have rejected it. The Gospel is not hard to understand -- even a child can understand it.

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 04/05/05 06:38 AM

If the gospel is so easy to understand, then why is it misunderstood by the vast majority of Christians? Why do most Christians disagree on righteousness by faith?

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 04/04/05 09:59 PM

Do they?

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 04/04/05 11:35 PM

1T 632
Not one in twenty of those who have a good standing with Seventh-day Adventists is living out the self-sacrificing principles of the word of God. {1T 632.2}

8T 148
Not one in a hundred among us is doing anything beyond engaging in common, worldly enterprises. We are not half awake to the worth of the souls for whom Christ died. {8T 147.4}

1SM 360
There is not one in one hundred who understands for himself the Bible truth on this subject [justification by faith] that is so necessary to our present and eternal welfare. {1SM 359.2}

CG 430
In every age a majority of the professed followers of Christ have disregarded those precepts which enjoin self-denial and humility, which require modesty and simplicity of conversation, deportment, and apparel. {CG 430.1}

HP 343
The Lord has sent us, by His ambassadors, messages of warning, declaring that the end of all things is at hand. Some will listen to these warnings, but by the vast majority they will be disregarded. {HP 343.5}

5T 136
To stand in defense of truth and righteousness when the majority forsake us, to fight the battles of the Lord when champions are few--this will be our test. {5T 136.2}

1BC 1118
This obedience [complete obedience] works out for us the divine will, bringing into our lives the righteousness and perfection that was seen in the life of Christ (MS 43, 1907). {1BC 1118.4}

TDG 93
[O]ur churches are dying for the want of teaching on the subject of righteousness by faith in Christ, and for kindred truths. {TDG 93.3}

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 04/05/05 12:35 AM

outdoors

Could you please spell out what those quotes have in common and what your intention with posting them was?

/Thomas

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 04/05/05 12:57 AM

quote:
If the gospel is so easy to understand, then why is it misunderstood by the vast majority of Christians? Why do most Christians disagree on righteousness by faith?

That's a good question. I think the answer is pride, unbelief and selfishness get in the way of understanding the Gospel. But the Gospel itself is not difficult to understand.

Re: Why does God make it so hard to believe? - 04/05/05 04:35 AM

That sounds like a good thread. Mind starting one? "The Gospel in a Nutshell". What do you think?
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church