Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday?

Posted By: APL

Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/26/14 12:38 AM

Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? Mark thinks so:
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
There's been an ongoing debate among the Jews and also among Christians for centuries on the timing of the Feast of Firstfruits. I agree with the Karaite Jews that according to Lev 23 and other texts, Firstfruits and Pentecost are always on Sunday, that Sunday was observed before the temple was destroyed but that some knowledge of the proper timing of the Feasts was lost afterwards. I looked into this a few years ago and I put my thoughts down in a couple of my ebooks.

Yeah - I have studied this also.

Lunar Sabbatarians believe that first fruits and Pentecost always fall on Sunday. This is because they claim that the seventh-day Sabbath is determined by the moon, and thus always on the 8th, 15th, 22nd, and 29th of the month. This also every feast day would fall on the "seventh-day Sabbath". Mark, do you believe in the Lunar Sabbath???

The Seventh-day sabbath is not determined by the moon. The Jewish months however were and the festivals of the Lord were based on the New Moon. That being the fact, the start of the feasts could be on any day of the week. Passover could be on any day of the week. This would be the 14th day of the first month. First Fruits would be two days later on the 16th. The 15th did not need to be the seventh-day Sabbath. Fifty days after First Fruits was Pentecost (50 days inclusive). This did not need to be a Sunday.

In the year of Christ's crucifixion, He was went to the cross on Friday, and rose on Sunday as the First Fruits. This being 31AD. This does not in any way confirm that First Fruits was always on Sunday. EG White tells us clearly that Passover was on the 14th, and First Fruits on the 16th of the First month. (See PP Chapter 52) The start of the Jewish month could be on any day of the week as it is in our current day calendar, the 15th not necessarily the weekly Sabbath.

AT Jones writes:It is true that the day of the week on which that Pentecost came is not of the least importance in itself either for or against any sacredness that was put upon it by that occurrence. It is "the day of Pentecost" that is named by the word of God. It was the feast of Pentecost with its types, that was to meet the grand object--the reality--to which its services had ever pointed. And everybody knows that the Pentecost came on each day of the week in succession as the years passed by; the same as does Christmas, or the Fourth of July, or any other yearly celebration. Therefore whatever were its occurrences, they could have no purpose in giving to the day of the week on which it fell any particular significance. {1888 ATJ, ASLD 65.5}

Yet though this be true, there is so much made of it by those who will have the first day of the week to be the Sabbath, by claiming always that Pentecost was on the first day of the week, that we feel disposed to refer to the Scriptures, which show that this claim is not founded on fact.
{1888 ATJ, ASLD 66.1}

He then goes on to review the scripture and agrees with Ellen White that first fruits was always on the 16th day of the first month and Pentecost 50 days later.

First Fruits and Pentecost could fall on any day of the week, and the day of the week if fell was of no significance other that it was the Day of First Fruits and Pentecost. It did not always fall on a Sunday. I'll go with Ellen White on this fact.
Posted By: Charity

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/26/14 03:51 AM

I checked it out and you're right, she does say that at the bottom of page 539 in PP. Thanks for pointing that out.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/26/14 09:10 AM

So you agree that First Fruits and Pentecost do not always fall on Sunday?

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/26/14 02:13 PM

Yes. smile
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/26/14 04:48 PM

On writing that First Fruits was on the 16th of the First month, Ellen White may have been influenced by the writings of Josephus. According to the Bible, however, this does not seem to be the case.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/26/14 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Rosangela
On writing that First Fruits was on the 16th of the First month, Ellen White may have been influenced by the writings of Josephus. According to the Bible, however, this does not seem to be the case.
OK - so Rosangela says EGW is wrong. Do you also believe that Passover was always the same day of the week? If not, what happens when Passover happened on the 7th-day Sabbath? Passover was on the 14th day of the month, Leviticus 23:5. The next day began the feast of unleavened bread, the 15th of the month, a Sunday. If Passover was a 7th-day Sabbath, then the first day of unleaven bread would be an annual Sabbath, the next day was the presentation of the Wave Sheaf, on the 16th of the month, so in the scenario, this would be on what we now call Monday. The count to Pentecost begins, after the annual Sabbath. But Rosangela, are you suggesting that they needed to wait another week before beginning the count to Pentecost? That IS what you are saying. If EGW is wrong on this point, where else is she wrong?
Posted By: Elle

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/26/14 06:01 PM

Putting aside the confusion the Lunar group is putting on this issue, what the law says is the firstfruit falls the day after the Sabbath. Then the Pentecost is after 7 sabbaths making both these events a 8th day (Sunday) observant.

AV Lv 23:15 . And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:

There are two interpretations of what constitute "the Sabbath" in this text amongs the Jews. From my own studies, I personally lean on the second interpretation as the correct one. But as all things, the Holy Spirit is to give us personally the interpretation.

The pharisees : says that the 1st day of unleavened bread is a sabbath, so the wave sheave offering(aka firstfruit) falls on any day of the week like the 1st day unleavened does.

Some others says : the Sabbath in Lev 23:15 means the real 7-day week Sabbath and not the firstfruit Feast Sabbath, thus making the firstfruit and the Pentecost always falling on the 8th day (Sunday).

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/26/14 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: APL
OK - so Rosangela says EGW is wrong. . . . If EGW is wrong on this point, where else is she wrong?
I think Roseangela's saying Ellen White is probably right. The same thought - EGW may have been influenced by someone such as Josephus - crossed my mind as well, but I don't think that she was mislead.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/26/14 06:18 PM

OK - so Rosangela says EGW is wrong. . . . If EGW is wrong on this point, where else is she wrong?
I think Roseangela's saying Ellen White is probably right. The same thought - EGW may have been influenced by someone such as Josephus - crossed my mind as well, but I don't think that she was mislead.

So counting 7 sabbaths from that point would mean not the literal 7 week Sabbaths. So this opens up the argument that a 7 day weekly Sabbath can start on any day.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/26/14 07:08 PM

There may be a language issue - but I take what Rosangela to be saying is that EGW was not correct. If I wrong, the I apologize.
Posted By: kland

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/26/14 07:47 PM

I'd like to hear when you say the Bible says it falls on.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/27/14 02:42 AM

OK - so Rosangela says EGW is wrong. Do you also believe that Passover was always the same day of the week? If not, what happens when Passover happened on the 7th-day Sabbath? Passover was on the 14th day of the month, Leviticus 23:5. The next day began the feast of unleavened bread, the 15th of the month, a Sunday. If Passover was a 7th-day Sabbath, then the first day of unleaven bread would be an annual Sabbath, the next day was the presentation of the Wave Sheaf, on the 16th of the month, so in the scenario, this would be on what we now call Monday. The count to Pentecost begins, after the annual Sabbath. But Rosangela, are you suggesting that they needed to wait another week before beginning the count to Pentecost? That IS what you are saying. If EGW is wrong on this point, where else is she wrong?

You will notice that several details were corrected in The Great Controversy owing to the fact that Ellen White used the words of the historians she borrowed from. Ellen White was given the visions and, on describing them, she was left to fill in the historical details by herself; that's why she resorted to the accounts of historians. W. C. White said, "Mother has never claimed to be an authority on history."

In the Second Temple period this verse gave rise to a bitter disagreement between the Pharisees and the Sadducees as to the actual date of the beginning of the counting; the Pharisees began from the second day of Passover, whereas the Sadducees counted from the day following the intermediate Sabbath of Passover.

You will also notice that the Bible does not attach the number 16 to the day when the first fruits were waved before the Lord. And what the Bible says is:

Lev 23:15 And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:
Lev 23:16 Even unto the morrow after the seventh sabbath shall ye number fifty days; and ye shall offer a new meat offering unto the LORD.

The passage says that the 50 days go "from the morrow after the sabbath" (v. 15) until "the morrow after the seventh sabbath" (v. 16). What is the meaning of the word "sabbath" in these verses?

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/27/14 09:46 AM

The 15th was a ceremonial Sabbath, Leviticus 23:4-7. The 16th fits with EGW. In the scenario I gave above, with Passover, the 14th being on a 7th-day Sabbath, would you have us believe that first fruits would not happen until 8-9 days later (depending on if you could inclusive not)? You see Mark, Rosangela does think EGW had it wrong. But I do not think so. Nor do other Adventist writers in EGW's time.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/27/14 04:16 PM

You see Mark, Rosangela does think EGW had it wrong. But I do not think so. Nor do other Adventist writers in EGW's time.
Yes, and I respect her position. Ellen White herself emphatically denied infallibility. Outside of the Testimonies, where she is speaking as the Lord's messenger, we have to be careful.

The reason I was willing to change position was that the Lord also said to her that as she researched topics of other writers the Lord would give her discernment on what parts were true. I have to say though that Roseangela's position is very reasonable given what the prophet herself has said. And Roseangela's agruement from the text of scripture itself is strong to the point that I'm inclined to reverse myself again. Isn't that in keeping with the testimony of both scripture and Ellen White herself?

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/27/14 06:29 PM

The morrow after the Sabbath, the Sabbath of Unleaven Bread / Passover. As Levitus 23:15, seven weeks complete. v16, "seven sabbaths", or "week of weeks", then end being 50 days.

If the 16th of the month is not the start, then the feast of unleaven bread (7 days) and the time to Pentecost varies year to year. That is not what happened. The time was sure. It so happened that the timing of the Crucifixion was such that today it adds fuel to Sunday sacredness that is not implied by the type.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/27/14 11:17 PM

Quote:
As Levitus 23:15, seven weeks complete. v16, "seven sabbaths", or "week of weeks", then end being 50 days.

The idea is foreign to Hebrew that any seven consecutive days comprise a week. A week was always “Sunday to Saturday.” So the day after a “week” would always be a Sunday. When the Scripture wants to refer to a seven-day period it says “a week of days” (Shavuot Yamim – Eze. 45:6), meaning a span of any seven days. This term is in contrast to the term “week” (Shavua), which is a fixed week, beginning on Sunday and ending on the Sabbath Day. Besides, the word used here is not even shavua, as in Deut. 16:9, but shabbath, which doesn't mean "week" in any other part of the Bible.
We are commanded in Lev 23:16 “Until the morrow after the seventh Sabbath shall you count fifty days”. While the first day of Unleavened Bread could theoretically be called a Sabbath, there is no way the 49th day of the Omer could be called a Sabbath. To avoid this, the Rabbinical Jews have to interpret the word “sabbath” in two different ways in the very same verse! They argue that the first sabbath mentioned is none other than the 15th of Nisan, and that here the word “sabbath” means holy day (ceremonial Sabbath). But, in their view, the meaning of “seven sabbaths,” at the end of the verse is seven weeks, and the word “sabbath” in this context means seven days! So, in the same verse the word “sabbath” means “holy day” and “seven days”.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/28/14 03:10 PM

Quote:
The 15th was a ceremonial Sabbath, Leviticus 23:4-7. The 16th fits with EGW. In the scenario I gave above, with Passover, the 14th being on a 7th-day Sabbath, would you have us believe that first fruits would not happen until 8-9 days later (depending on if you could inclusive not)?

No, I believe the scenario you gave seems to correspond to the scenario found in Joshua 5:10-12:

While the people of Israel were encamped at Gilgal, they kept the Passover on the fourteenth day of the month in the evening on the plains of Jericho. And the day after the Passover, on that very day, they ate of the produce of the land, unleavened cakes and parched grain. And the manna ceased the day after they ate of the produce of the land. And there was no longer manna for the people of Israel, but they ate of the fruit of the land of Canaan that year. (ESV)

God had told Moses that when the Israelites came into the Promised Land, they were not to eat of the new produce of the land until they had offered a sheaf of the firstfruits of the land (Lev. 23:9-14).

Quote:
You see Mark, Rosangela does think EGW had it wrong. But I do not think so. Nor do other Adventist writers in EGW's time.

In fact, a minister wrote about it to EGW.

Please pay attention to the following statement: “He knew that His hour was come; He himself was the true paschal lamb, and on the day the Passover was eaten He was to be sacrificed” (DA, 642).

If Christ was to be sacrificed on the day the Passover was eaten, and the Passover lamb was eaten on the fifteenth, it is evident that Christ was to be sacrificed on the 15th of Nisan. But if the day the wave sheaf was presented before the Lord (and on which He should rise from the dead) was the second day of the feast, Nisan 16, there would be a contradiction here, since Sunday, according to this statement of EGW, would be a Nisan 17. Elder R. W. Munson wrote to Ellen White about this contradiction, and her secretary gave the following reply:

When these questions come before Sister White, she often says that the Lord has given her the work of writing what she has written, but not of trying to explain every seemingly difficult passage. If she were to take up the burden of harmonizing seemingly contradictory passages, she would not have time to do her regularly appointed work of writing out the words of instruction and admonition that she does write for the Church. She therefore appeals to her brethren to search the Scriptures, and to compare her writings with the Scriptures, and with other portions of her own writings, and thus seek to discover, if possible, the harmony that exists. You will readily understand the reason why she could not enter into all the queries that come to her; and your good judgment will tell you that it is well for us who study her writings, to seek to understand them in the light of other portions of her writings, and by the aid of the daily study of the Scriptures (Letter of C. C. Crisler, secretary of Ellen G. White, to Elder R. W. Munson of the Australasian Union Conference, November 27, 1908).

By the way, indeed the year 31 A.D. does not admit, astronomically, a Nisan 14 as the day for Christ’s death, only a Nisan 15.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/28/14 08:47 PM

By the way, indeed the year 31 A.D. does not admit, astronomically, a Nisan 14 as the day for Christ’s death, only a Nisan 15.
How "astronomically" was the New Moon determined? By sighting of the new cresent, not mathematically calculated. So I have no idea on what you base this comment. The Naval Observatory is not necessarily the source to find the exact answer. This has been written about enough by others...

As to the types of the feasts, it is clear that Christ, the type of the First Fruits, would rise on the 3rd day. Passover, start of the feast of Unleaven Bread, Wave Sheaf. Christ the firstfruit, rose on the 3rd day. This was always true for the feasts and the type of Christ and it was understood when Christ would rise again: Matthew 16:21; Matthew 17:23; Matthew 20:19; Mark 9:31; Mark 10:34; Luke 9:22; Luke 13:32; Luke 18:33; Luke 24:7; Luke 24:21; Luke 24:26; Acts 10:40; 1 Corinthians 15:4.

Your quote of Cristler only says that EG White did not explain all scripture. It does not say that what she said was wrong. You are saying she was flat out wrong. That is a strong claim.

Leviticus 23:15-16 - seven sabbaths complete. Is this speaking about the 7th-day sabbath? Or is there a Hebrew idiom that needs to be understood? The Complete Jewish Bible has these verses like this: Leviticus 23:15-16 " 'From the day after the day of rest [that is the first day of Unleaven Bread] — that is, from the day you bring the sheaf for waving — you are to count seven full weeks, 16 until the day after the seventh week; you are to count fifty days; and then you are to present a new grain offering to Adonai.

This fits with Deuteronomy, authored by the same author of Leviticus where it says: Deuteronomy 16:9-10 Seven weeks shall you number to you: begin to number the seven weeks from such time as you begin to put the sickle to the corn. 10 And you shall keep the feast of weeks to the LORD your God with a tribute of a freewill offering of your hand, which you shall give to the LORD your God, according as the LORD your God has blessed you:

Are there any feasts of the Lord which specify the day of the week on which they are to take place? No, not one. The only the 7th-day Sabbath is specified for a particular day.

Please pay attention to the following statement: “He knew that His hour was come; He himself was the true paschal lamb, and on the day the Passover was eaten He was to be sacrificed{DA, 642}
Please pay attention to the following statement: EGW quoting Luke 22:15: As they were gathered about the table, He said in tones of touching sadness, "With desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer: for I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God. And He took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves: for I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come." {DA 643.1}

Christ was indeed crucified on the 14th of Nisan, and rose the 3rd day. EGW is still correct.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/29/14 05:13 AM

Quote:
How "astronomically" was the New Moon determined? By sighting of the new cresent, not mathematically calculated. So I have no idea on what you base this comment.

The new moon was determined by sighting of the new crescent, but there were rules to be followed. Official observers stood on vantage points at sunset on the 29th of a month and scanned the western sky eagerly. If unfavorable weather conditions didn’t permit the crescent to be observed, the month would commence on the following night, even if the crescent was still obscured, because the lunar month had 29 or 30 days. It couldn’t have 31 days, which would be the case if April 13 had been the first day of the month, for April 13 was the fourth sunset after conjunction. The astronomical new moon (conjunction) was on April 10. If the crescent was obscured the first night after conjunction, that is, on the sunset of April 10, which indeed was, owing to the very short time elapsed, the second night must be checked, the sunset of April 11, on which night it was almost visible; then the third night must be checked, the sunset of April 12, on which night the moon was high and old enough to be seen. However, even if weather conditions had prevented it from being seen, the month would have started anyway.

Quote:
As to the types of the feasts, it is clear that Christ, the type of the First Fruits, would rise on the 3rd day. Passover, start of the feast of Unleaven Bread, Wave Sheaf. Christ the firstfruit, rose on the 3rd day. This was always true for the feasts and the type of Christ and it was understood when Christ would rise again: Matthew 16:21; Matthew 17:23; Matthew 20:19; Mark 9:31; Mark 10:34; Luke 9:22; Luke 13:32; Luke 18:33; Luke 24:7; Luke 24:21; Luke 24:26; Acts 10:40; 1 Corinthians 15:4.

?
This argument does not make sense. Christ indeed said He would rise on the 3d day. What He didn't say was that He would die on Nisan 14.

Quote:
Your quote of Cristler only says that EG White did not explain all scripture. It does not say that what she said was wrong. You are saying she was flat out wrong. That is a strong claim.

There was a contradiction between two statements of hers, and this contradiction hasn't been solved.

Quote:
Or is there a Hebrew idiom that needs to be understood?

A Hebrew idiom? Sabbath = seven days? As to Deut. 16:9, 10, as I said previously, week = Sunday to Sabbath.

Quote:
Are there any feasts of the Lord which specify the day of the week on which they are to take place? No, not one. The only the 7th-day Sabbath is specified for a particular day.

Is there any feast to which a date is not attached in the Bible? Just one - Pentecost. Why?

Quote:
Quote:
Please pay attention to the following statement: “He knew that His hour was come; He himself was the true paschal lamb, and on the day the Passover was eaten He was to be sacrificed” {DA, 642}

Please pay attention to the following statement: EGW quoting Luke 22:15: As they were gathered about the table, He said in tones of touching sadness, "With desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer...

Did Christ celebrate the Passover on the wrong day? Did He break the law of the Passover? What Ellen White says is that "on the day the Passover was eaten, He was to be sacrificed," not "on the day the Passover was sacrificed, He was to be sacrificed."

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/29/14 07:38 AM

This argument does not make sense. Christ indeed said He would rise on the 3d day. What He didn't say was that He would die on Nisan 14.
The type was He would rise on the 3rd day. This was true every year in the type, no matter when the New Moon occurred. This would not be true if the Wave Sheaf was to be on a specific day of the week, it does not work.

A Hebrew idiom? Sabbath = seven days? As to Deuteronomy 16:9, 10, as I said previously, week = Sunday to Sabbath.
Yes you did say that. . That does not make it true. And I have provided quotes above which show that it was not believed as you have stated. See AT Jones quote.

Is there any feast to which a date is not attached in the Bible? Just one - Pentecost. Why?
You are saying both Pentecost and the Wave Sheaf were tied to specific days. You have not proven this and as stated, you are in contradiction to the clear statement of Ellen White. The SDABC which you should be intimately knowledgeable of also states that the Wave Sheaf was on the 16th of Nisan.

There was a contradiction between two statements of hers, and this contradiction hasn't been solved.
Did you just ignore what the Bible said and I quoted above? Was the whole nation wrong? When did the nation eat the Passover? Could Jesus have eaten the Passover AFTER His death? Nope. Again, see EGW quote I provided you and you seemed to have ignored or not understood.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/29/14 05:56 PM

Rosangela and Mark,

It seems from your comments you are implying that the new moon, resets the weekly cycle. Am I correct?

That is otherwise there are problems from what you are suggesting: If Passover can fall on any day of the week, and if the first fruits start on the 15th, and there 50 days between and the 50th day is on a Sunday, then the assumption that Passover can fall on any day of the week cannot be true.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/29/14 09:07 PM

Quote:
The type was He would rise on the 3rd day. This was true every year in the type, no matter when the New Moon occurred. This would not be true if the Wave Sheaf was to be on a specific day of the week, it does not work.

No, the type was that He would rise on the day of the Firstfruits offering, and the type was that He would rise on a Sunday, after He had rested from His completed work of salvation on the Sabbath. That's very simple.

Quote:
You are saying both Pentecost and the Wave Sheaf were tied to specific days. You have not proven this and as stated, you are in contradiction to the clear statement of Ellen White. The SDABC which you should be intimately knowledgeable of also states that the Wave Sheaf was on the 16th of Nisan.

I'm just using the Bible, and interpreting the word Sabbath as Sabbath, not as "seven days." As to the SDABC, the part which deals with these questions was written by C. Mervyn Maxwell, but when visited by the author of the study to which I am indebted for the views I'm presenting, he himself admitted he was wrong. So, in fact, the SDABC should undergo a review on this point.

Quote:
Did you just ignore what the Bible said and I quoted above?

I didn't see any Bible quote you provided which solved the problem.

Quote:
Was the whole nation wrong? When did the nation eat the Passover?

First, the view about Pentecost which is opposed to the one you are defending was the view of the Sadducees, and, at the time of Christ, the temple was governed by the Sadducees. Caiaphas was a Sadducee.
Second, when did the nation eat the Passover?

Mat 26:17 Now on the first day of Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying, "Where will you have us prepare for you to eat the Passover?"

Mar 14:12 And on the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they [that is, the nation] sacrificed the Passover lamb, his disciples said to him, "Where will you have us go and prepare for you to eat the Passover?"

Luc 22:7 Then came the day of Unleavened Bread, on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed.

The Passover lamb was not and could not be killed in a private house, but only in the temple (Deut. 16:5, 6), and only on the 14th of Nisan. Thus it can be concluded that the day on which the Passover lamb was being sacrificed by the Jews was Thursday. Therefore, Thursday must necessarily be Nisan 14.

Some statements of John could give the impression that the Jews were sacrificing the Passover on Friday, but the Synoptics are very clear on the fact that Christ ate the Passover on the first day of Unleavened Bread (at that time Nisan 14 was considered the first day of Unleavened Bread), and so it would be easier to find an explanation for what John says than to explain away what the Synoptics say.

Quote:
Again, see EGW quote I provided you and you seemed to have ignored or not understood.

You are ignoring what she says - that Christ should be sacrificed on the day the paschal lamb was eaten - which is Nisan 15.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/29/14 09:30 PM

Quote:
Rosangela and Mark,

It seems from your comments you are implying that the new moon, resets the weekly cycle. Am I correct?

No! By no means, kland.

Quote:
That is otherwise there are problems from what you are suggesting: If Passover can fall on any day of the week, and if the first fruits start on the 15th, and there 50 days between and the 50th day is on a Sunday, then the assumption that Passover can fall on any day of the week cannot be true.

No, the 50 days don't begin on the 15th, but on the day of the wave sheaf offering (first fruits), which is described, not as being on the 16th, but as being on "the morrow after the Sabbath."

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/29/14 11:43 PM

No, the type was that He would rise on the day of the Firstfruits offering, and the type was that He would rise on a Sunday, after He had rested from His completed work of salvation on the Sabbath. That's very simple.
Except does it match the type? You say yes. But it does not fit what has been told to us in Patriarchs and Prophets, Desire of Ages or Great Controversy. It also does not fit the type of rising the 3rd day because Passover can happen any day of the week depending on the year and moon.

I'm just using the Bible, and interpreting the word Sabbath as Sabbath, not as "seven days."
And you are ignoring that fact that the first day of the week of Unleaven Bread was a ceremonial Sabbath.

I didn't see any Bible quote you provided which solved the problem.
Really... Go back and see the quote of EGW in Desire of Ages 643.1....

I will quote Stephen Haskell from his book, The Cross and Its Shadow
Note:-Bible students for centuries have been divided into two classes in regard to their opinon of the time that the Lord ate the last supper with His disciples. One class believe Jesus did not fulfil the type in regard to the time, but only as to the event. They claim that the year Christ died, the 14th day of Nisan, or Passover, came on Thursday; that He was crucified on Friday, the annual sabbath, the 15th day of Nisan; and arose from the dead on the 17th day of Nisan. In support of this position, they quote the following texts: Matthew 26:17; Mark 14:1; Mark 14:12; Luke 22:7.

The other class believe that, when God decreed certain offerings should be offered on a definite day of the month, the type would meet antitype in that specified time. "These types were fulfilled not only as to the event, but as to the time."-Great Controversy, p. 399. In fulfilment of this Christ was crucified on Friday, the 14th day of Nisan, and died on the cross about the ninth hour-"between the two evenings" at the very time the Passover lamb had been slain for centuries. The previous evening He had eaten the last supper with His disciples. The Saviour rested in the tomb on the Sabbath, the 15th day of Nisan, which had been kept as an annual sabbath in type of this event. "Christ was the antitype of the wave-sheaf, and His ressurection took place on the very day when the wave-sheaf was to be presented before the Lord."-Desire of Ages, large edition, p. 785. This was Sunday, the 16th day of Nisan. In support of this posistion the following texts are quoted:
John 13:1-2; John 18:28; John 13:29; John 19:31.

This note was attached to a chart which showed that the Passover was eaten by Christ and his disciples on Nisan 14 (Thursday evening) and was crucified on Nisan 14 in the afternoon of what we call Friday.

The difference between you and me is when you read Sabbath, you read 7th-day Sabbath and not ceremonial Sabbath. The morrow after the Sabbath in context was the Sabbath of First Fruits, the first day of Unleaven Bread.

Originally Posted By: SDABC note on Matthew Chapter 26
Note 1

All four Gospels agree that Jesus and His disciples celebrated the Last Supper on the night preceding the crucifixion, that He lay in the tomb over Sabbath, and that He arose early Sunday morning. The Synoptics, however, call the Last Supper, the night preceding the crucifixion, “the Passover,” whereas according to John, the Jews celebrated the Passover supper on the night following the crucifixion. The statements of John and the Synoptics thus appear to be in conflict.

Most critical commentators dismiss this apparent conflict with the casual observation that, obviously, either John or the synoptic writers were mistaken. But those who believe in the inspiration of the Scriptures reject such an explanation and propose, instead, one of various possible solutions to the problem. In order to evaluate intelligently these solutions it is necessary, first, to review Biblical and secular data relating to the time and typical significance of the Passover, and to time factors connected with the Last Supper and the crucifixion.

Time of the Passover.—The paschal lamb was slain in the late afternoon of Nisan 14, following the regular evening sacrifice, and eaten, with unleavened bread, after sunset that same night, during the early hours of Nisan 15 (Exodus 12:6-14; Exodus 12:29; Exodus 12:33; Exodus 12:42; Exodus 12:51; Exodus 13:3-7; Numbers 9:1-5; Numbers 33:3; Deuteronomy 16:1-7; Josephus Antiquities ii. 14. 6; iii. 10. 5; xi. 4. 8 [311, 312; 248, 249; 109, 110]; War v. 3. 1 [98, 99]; vi. 9. 3 [423]; Philo De septenario, sec. 18; Mishnah Pesaḥim 5. 1, Soncino ed. of the Talmud, p. 287). Nisan 15, a ceremonial sabbath, also marked the beginning of the Feast of Unleavened Bread (Exodus 12:8; Exodus 12:18; Exodus 12:34; Exodus 12:39; Leviticus 23:5-6; Numbers 28:16-17; Deuteronomy 16:3-4; Deuteronomy 16:8; Antiquities iii. 10. 5 [249]; cf. ii. 15. 2 [318]). On Nisan 16, the second day of this feast, the wave sheaf of the first fruits was presented in the Temple (see Leviticus 23:10-14; Antiquities iii. 10. 5 [250, 251]). The term “Passover” was originally applied to Nisan 14 only, but in the time of Christ it was sometimes used of the Feast of Unleavened Bread as well (Antiquities ii. 14. 6; xi. 4. 8; xiv. 2. 1 [311–313; 109–111; 21]; xvii. 9. 3; War ii. 1. 3; v. 3. 1 [10; 99]). Apparently, also, the term Feast of Unleavened Bread was similarly used to include the Passover (Luke 22:7; Acts 12:3-4; cf. Matthew 20:6).

Tables that purport to give the Christian Era dates for each paschal full moon during the ministry of our Lord are of no real help in this problem for all such tables are based on modern Jewish methods of computing the time of the Passover. How the Jews of Christ’s time coordinated their lunar calendar with the solar year is not known today, all supposedly learned statements to the contrary notwithstanding. It is therefore impossible to determine with absolute certainty the day of the week or even, always, the month in which the Passover of any year of our Lord’s ministry may have occurred. For a discussion of this problem see Vol. II, pp. 100-105; Vol. V. pp. 250-264.

A notable perversion of Biblical data regarding the time of the Last Supper is the Wednesday crucifixion theory, which assumes: (1) that the Christian Era date of the paschal full moon of the crucifixion year can be determined with absolute accuracy (see p. 258), (2) that the Hebrew idiomatic expression “three days and three nights” indicates a period of 72 full hours (see Vol. I, p. 182; Vol. II, pp. 136, 137; Vol. V, pp. 248-251), and (3) that the Greek of Matthew 28:1 (see comment there) assigns the resurrection to Sabbath afternoon. This theory does not bear the marks of sound scholarship and is utterly at variance with Biblical meanings of terms. Therefore it is untenable.

Some have assumed that the expression “in the evening,” of Exodus 12:6, literally, “between the two evenings,” denotes the moment of sunset beginning Nisan 14, or the period between sunset and dark. Although some modern commentators have adopted this theory, a careful examination of other Biblical passages, of the writings of Josephus and Philo, and of the tractate Pesaḥim (see Mishnah Pesaḥim, 4. 1, Soncino ed. of the Talmud, p. 243; 5. 1, 10, Soncino ed. of the Talmud, pp. 287, 325; Talmud Pesaḥim 58a, Soncino ed., pp. 287–290; and other references cited above) provide no clear evidence in support of it. See p. 265.

Typical Significance of the Passover.—The paschal lamb prefigured Christ, “the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world” (John 1:29), “Christ our passover,” who was to be “sacrificed for us” (1 Corinthians 5:7). Similarly, the wave sheaf of the Feast of Unleavened Bread typified “Christ risen from the dead, … the first-fruits of them that slept” (1 Corinthians 15:20; 1 Corinthians 15:23).

The Last Supper and the Crucifixion.—The following chronological statements appear to be either explicit or implicit in the Gospel narrative and are rather generally accepted by Bible students:

a. The crucifixion took place on “the preparation [eve] of the passover,” that is, on Nisan 14 (John 19:14; cf. Talmud Pesaḥim 58a, Soncino ed., p. 288; Sanhedrin 43a, Soncino ed., p. 281; Exodus 12:6; cf. GC-399).

b. The death of Christ took place on a Friday afternoon (Mark 15:42 to Mark 16:2; Luke 23:54 to Luke 24:1; John 19:31; John 19:42; John 20:1), about the time of the evening sacrifice (DA-756; DA-757; cf. GC-399).

c. Accordingly, in the year of the crucifixion, Nisan 14, the day appointed for slaying the paschal lambs, fell on a Friday; the preparation for (or eve of) the Passover coincided with the preparation for (or eve of) the weekly Sabbath (John 19:14; cf. Matthew 26:31; Matthew 26:42; Matthew 20:1). The first ceremonial sabbath of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, Nisan 15, thus coincided with the weekly Sabbath (Leviticus 23:6-8; cf. Mark 15:42 to Mark 16:2; Luke 23:5 to Luke 24:1).

d. The Last Supper took place the night preceding the crucifixion (Matthew 26:17; Matthew 26:20; Matthew 26:26; Matthew 26:34; Matthew 26:47; Mark 14:12; Mark 14:16-17; Luke 22:7-8; Luke 22:13-15; John 13:2; John 13:4; John 13:30; John 14:31; John 18:1-3; John 18:28; John 19:16; cf. DA-642; GC-399), that is, during the early hours of Nisan 14 (see Vol. II, p. 101) and thus on a Thursday night.

e. The synoptic accounts call the Last Supper a Passover supper (Matthew 26:17; Matthew 26:20; Mark 14:12; Mark 14:16-17; Luke 22:7-8; Luke 22:13-15; cf. DA-642; DA-652; GC-399).

f. John’s account places the official Jewish celebration of the Passover supper 24 hours later than the Last Supper, and thus on Friday night following the crucifixion, during the early hours of the weekly Sabbath (John 18:28; John 19:14; John 19:31; cf. DA-774), which would be Nisan 15.

g. At the time of the Last Supper (John 13:1), during the course of the trial (Matthew 26:5; Mark 14:2; John 18:28; John 19:14; cf. DA-703; DA-723), and on the way to Calvary (cf. DA-742), the official celebration of the Passover was apparently yet future.

h. Jesus lay in the tomb over the Sabbath (Matthew 27:59 to Matthew 28:1; Mark 15:43 to Mark 16:1; Luke 23:54 to Luke 24:1; John 19:38 to John 20:1), which would be Nisan 15.

i. Jesus arose from the tomb early Sunday morning, Nisan 16 (Matthew 28:1-6; Mark 16:1-6; Luke 24:1-6; John 20:1-16; see on Mark 15:42; Mark 15:46; cf. GC-399; DA-785; DA-786).

Proposed Solutions of the Problem.—In the light of the foregoing let us examine the problem of the time of the Passover in the crucifixion year. Conservative commentators have generally sought to solve the problem on the basis of one of the four following assumptions:

a. That when referring to the Last Supper, the synoptic writers describe, not the Passover meal, but a ceremonial meal that preceded it by 24 hours. According to this assumption Nisan 14 fell on Friday in the year of the crucifixion and the Passover of John was the official Passover meal.

b. That “the passover” to which John refers was not the Passover meal, but a ceremonial meal connected with the Feast of Unleavened Bread. According to this assumption Friday was Nisan 15, and the Last Supper the preceding night was a celebration of the official Passover meal, at the regular time. This explanation is the reverse of the preceding one.

c. That the Last Supper was a true Passover meal, as in the Synoptics, even though celebrated only by Jesus and His disciples, 24 hours in advance of the official Passover meal referred to by John, and thus of the time other Jews celebrated it. According to this assumption Friday was Nisan 14.

d. That in the time of Christ sectarian differences with respect to calendrical reckoning, as to whether Nisan 14 and 16 should be correlated with certain days of the week, had led, in actual practice, to a celebration of the Passover on two successive days, that is, a double celebration. According to this assumption one religious faction (the Pharisees and other conservatives) would have considered that Nisan 14 fell on Thursday in the crucifixion year, and the other (the Boethusian Sadducees and other liberals), that it fell on Friday. Christ and the disciples thus, presumably, celebrated the Passover with the first group—the “passover” of the Synoptics—and the Jewish leaders celebrated it the following night—the “passover” of John. This assumption differs from the preceding one in that here Christ and the disciples were not alone in their celebration of the Passover.

For a more detailed discussion of the various attempts that have been made to harmonize the statements of John and the Synoptics with regard to the time of the Last Supper in relation to the Passover, over, the reader is referred to the following: Grace Amadon, “Ancient Jewish Calendation,” Journal of Biblical Literature, vol. 61, part 4, 1942, pp. 227-280; C. K. Barrett, The Gospel According to St. John, pp. 38–41; J. H. Bernard, International Critical Commentary, on St. John, vol. 1, pp. cvi-cviii; D. Chwolson, Das Letzte Passamahl Christi und der Tag Seines Todes; The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, art. “Chronology of the New Testament”; J. K; Klausner, Jesus of Nazareth, tr. Herbert Danby, pp. 326–329; A. T. Robertson, Word Pictures in the New Testament, on Matthew 26:17; John 18:28; H. L. Strack and Paul Billerbeck, Kommentar zum Neuen Testament, vol. 2, pp. 812, 813. (See bibliographical notes on pp. 82, 102, 265.) For a full discussion of the calendrical problems involved see pp. 248-264.

Evaluation of Proposed Solutions.—These four proposed solutions to the problem may be evaluated as follows:

a. The view that the Last Supper was a preliminary ceremonial meal in advance of the regular Passover meal assumes that the Synoptics use the word “passover” in an accommodated sense. While it may be granted that the word “passover” could have been used in this sense (see p. 533), available evidence is strongly against such an accommodated use: (1) This view rests on the conjecture that such a preliminary ceremonial meal may have been celebrated in the days of Christ. (2) The more natural and obvious reading of these passages in their context (see references listed on p. 534, par. e) points to the conclusion that the synoptic writers consistently and repeatedly speak of the Last Supper as “the passover.” (3) The comment of both Mark (Matthew 14:12) and Luke (Matthew 22:7), that the day preceding the Last Supper was “the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover” (see Mark 14:12), would seem to preclude any possibility that the “passover” of the Synoptics could have been anything but a true Passover meal (cf. DA-642; DA-646; DA-652; DA-653; EW-165: GC-399). The disciples apparently took for granted that Thursday was the day of preparation for the Passover, that is, the day on which the paschal lamb should be slain and roasted (see p. 533).

b. The view that “the passover” of John 18:28; John 19:14 was a ceremonial meal connected with the Feast of Unleavened Bread, 24 hours after the official Passover supper, which was on Nisan 15, assumes that John uses the word “passover” in an accommodated sense. In favor of this view, it may be noted that common usage in NT times, as reflected, for instance, by Josephus (see p. 533), commonly applied the term Passover to the combined celebration of the Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread. But although it may be granted that John could have used the word “passover” in this accommodated sense (see p. 533), available evidence is strongly against his so doing in the passages cited: (1) There is no clear use of the word “passover” in this sense anywhere in the NT. (2) The more natural and obvious reading of John’s statements in their context points to the conclusion that the Passover meal to which the apostle refers was the official celebration of the Passover, at least the one generally recognized by the Jewish leaders. (3) The anxiety of the Jewish leaders to conclude the trial and execution of Jesus immediately, before the feast, in order to avoid delaying the case until after the feast, would appear to preclude any possibility that the feast had already begun (Matthew 26:3-5; Mark 14:1-2, cf. DA-703). (4) Jewish law, as later codified in the Mishnah and the Talmud, prohibited the trial on a feast day of a case involving the death penalty (Mishnah Beẓah 5. 2, Soncino ed. of the Talmud, p. 185; Sanhedrin 4. 1, Soncino ed. of the Talmud, p. 185), or purchases such as that of the linen shroud and possibly also of spices for embalming the body of Jesus (Mark 15:46; Luke 23:56; however, see Mishnah Shabbath 23. 5, Soncino ed. of the Talmud, p. 771). The violation of these regulations—if they were in force in earlier times, as seems probable, and if, indeed, heed was given to them, which, however, cannot be established (see Note 2)—would appear to rule out the possibility that the arrest, trial, and crucifixion took place on Nisan 15, the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread and a ceremonial sabbath. (5) Preparations for embalming the body of Jesus (Luke 23:54 to Luke 24:1), such as the women made on the day of the crucifixion, were considered labor, and as such would seem to be inappropriate even for a ceremonial sabbath (Leviticus 23:7; however, see Mishnah Shabbath 23. 5, Soncino ed. of the Talmud, p. 771). (6) At sunset of the crucifixion day the women “rested the sabbath day according to the commandment” (Luke 23:56), obviously a reference to the Sabbath of the fourth commandment. (7) If, as this view assumes, the crucifixion fell on Nisan 15, the first day of unleavened bread, then the resurrection fell on Nisan 17, or the third day. But the offering of the first fruits, a type of the resurrection of our Lord, took place on the second day, or Nisan 16 (see Leviticus 23:10-14; 1 Corinthians 15:20; 1 Corinthians 15:23; GC-399; DA-785; DA-786). According to this view, then, the resurrection did not occur at the time called for by the ceremonial type of the wave sheaf. (8) In Jewish literature “the preparation of the passover” (John 19:14) is consistently applied to Nisan 14, never to Nisan 15, as this view would require (see Mishnah Pesaḥim 4. 1, 5, 6, Soncino ed. of the Talmud, pp. 243, 268, 271). (9) “The Passover was observed [by the Jews generally] as it had been for centuries [in other words, during the early hours of Nisan 15 (see p. 533)], while He to whom it pointed had been slain by wicked hands [late on Nisan 14], and lay in Joseph’s tomb” (DA-774; cf. GC-399).

c. The view that the Last Supper, although a true paschal meal, took place 24 hours prior to the time when the Jews, generally, celebrated it assumes that such a practice was possible. This view, unlike the preceding one, does take into account the fact that the crucifixion occurred in fulfillment of the type provided by the slaying of the paschal lamb on Nisan 14. It was, admittedly, impossible for Christ to eat the paschal lamb at the usual time, and also, as Himself the true paschal Lamb, to be slain at the usual time for the slaying of the Passover lambs. It would seem more important that His death should synchronize with the death of the Passover lambs than that His eating of the Passover should synchronize with the official time for eating that meal (pp. 533, 534; GC-399). Accordingly, His eating of the Passover would take place earlier than the time regularly set for it if the types of the slaying of the lamb and the offering of the first fruits were to be fulfilled “not only as to the event, but as to the time” (GC-399). However, this view is also confronted with difficulties. It is difficult to see how Jesus and the disciples, as sole exceptions to the rule, could have celebrated the Passover a day in advance of the usual time. Note that: (1) There is no historical evidence of anyone else having ever eaten the Passover early. The Passover lambs were to be slain at the Temple (Mishnah Pesaḥim 5. 5–7, Soncino ed. of the Talmud, pp. 323, 324) at a specified time (see p. 533), and, consistently as far as the record goes, there was no provision for slaying them at any other time than the late afternoon of Nisan 14 (for an exception see Numbers 9:6-11). (2) The disciples apparently recognized Thursday as the day on which preparations for the Passover should properly be made, in the crucifixion year (see Matthew 26:17; Luke 22:7), and seemed to take for granted that Thursday night was the proper time for eating the paschal meal. Whether the subject had been under discussion and Jesus had informed them that the time of celebration would be an exception and come on Thursday rather than Friday night, or whether they considered that Thursday night was a normal time for the celebration, we are not informed. The synoptic writers are silent as to anything out of the ordinary about the eating of the Passover on Thursday night by Jesus and the disciples.

d. The view that there was a double celebration of the Passover is based on one or another of various conjectures. What is perhaps the most plausible of these conjectures assumes that the “passover” of the Synoptics was the one celebrated by the Pharisees and other conservative Jews, whereas that of John was the one observed by the more liberal Boethusian Sadducees and others sympathetic with their interpretation of Scripture. (The Boethusian Sadducees of Christ’s day are known to have contended that the “sabbath” of Leviticus 23:11 referred to a weekly Sabbath instead of a ceremonial sabbath.) Those who set forth this view conjecture that in a year like a.d. 31, when, they assume, Nisan 16 would normally have fallen on the weekly Sabbath, the Sadducees would advocate the adjustment of the Jewish lunar calendar to make Nisan 16 fall, instead, on the first day of the week. This could, it is granted, have given rise to a double celebration of the Passover, but there is no evidence that, in actual practice, it ever did so. However, in that it makes the “passover” of the Synoptics and that of John both valid occasions for the celebration of the Passover, theory offers a possible solution of the apparently contradictory statements of the various gospel writers.

Conclusions.—We have here one more instance where our present-day ignorance of ancient Jewish practices appears to be the cause of our inability clearly to harmonize the seemingly conflicting statements of John and the Synoptics. However, on the basis of all available evidence, but without accepting any one of these four proposed explanations, this commentary suggests the possibility of the following sequence of events connected with the Last Supper, the crucifixion, and the Passover:

a. That in the year of the crucifixion, whether as a result of controversy between liberal and conservative elements of Judaism, or because of other circumstances now unknown, there may have been a double celebration of the Passover.

b. That, with other conservative Jews, Christ and the disciples celebrated the Last Supper on Thursday night, during the early hours of what was officially Nisan 14, and that the Last Supper was a true celebration of the Passover.

c. That Jesus died on the cross about the time of the evening sacrifice and the slaying of the paschal lambs, on Friday, Nisan 14.

d. That, in the year of the crucifixion, the official celebration of the Passover came on Friday night, after the crucifixion.

e. That Jesus rested in the tomb over the weekly Sabbath, which, in that year, coincided with the ceremonial, or annual, sabbath, Nisan 15, the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread.

f. That Jesus arose from the tomb early on Sunday morning, Nisan 16, the day when the wave sheaf, which typified the resurrection, was presented in the Temple.

Happily, it is not necessary to solve this problem in order to avail ourselves of salvation through “Christ our passover,” who was “sacrificed for us” (1 Corinthians 5:7)

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/30/14 02:35 AM

APL,

When you choose to rely on the EGW passages where she speaks about the Wave Sheaf on the 16th, and where she is probably just reflecting the wording of Josephus or of some other author, you are also choosing to disregard specific statements of hers which conflict with these passages, such as the one in which she says specifically that Christ should be sacrificed on the day the Passover was eaten. You are also choosing to disqualify the year 31 as the year for Christ's death, since the years 30 and 33 A.D. admit a Nisan 14 on a Friday, but the year 31 A.D. only admits a Nisan 15 on a Friday.
The fact is apparent that EGW was influenced by the wording of some author who adopted the precalculated rabbinic calendar. She says, for instance:

"The time of the Passover corresponded to the close of March or the beginning of April..." (DA 76).

"The first of these festivals, the Passover, the feast of unleavened bread, occurred in Abib, the first month of the Jewish year, corresponding to the last of March and the beginning of April" (PP 537).

In fact, the Passover in the year 31 fell at the end of April, and in the year 1844 it would have fallen at the beginning of May. But this is another fascinating theme on which I will not elaborate right now.

Anyway, a Nisan 14 on a Friday is impossible in A.D. 31, and sooner or later the SDABC will have to deal with that.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/30/14 05:17 AM

Anyway, a Nisan 14 on a Friday is impossible in A.D. 31, and sooner or later the SDABC will have to deal with that.
Based on mathematical calculations of the moon? You can't use the mathematical calculations.

The Passover was eaten - Christ and His disciples ate the Passover Thursday evening. He was crucified on Friday afternoon. In the Hebrew calendar, this was the very same day.

There is a question a discrepancy between the synoptics and John, and I posted a discussion on that. However this does not change the type that Christ was the First Fruits. You link the 7th-day Sabbath to the Feast of Weeks but ignore the fact that the first day of the feast was Unleavened Bread was a ceremonial Sabbath it was the commemoration of the Passover lamb dying for sin, not the 7th-day Sabbath. It was this Sabbath that Leviticus is talking about for the Wave Sheaf and the 50 days to Pentecost. The feasts of the Lord are besides the 7th-day Sabbath. Leviticus 23:37-38 These are the feasts of the LORD, which you shall proclaim to be holy convocations, to offer an offering made by fire to the LORD, a burnt offering, and a meat offering, a sacrifice, and drink offerings, every thing on his day: 38 Beside the sabbaths of the LORD, and beside your gifts, and beside all your vows, and beside all your freewill offerings, which you give to the LORD.

Haskell also agrees with what all Adventist pioneers believed as far as I can tell: The offering of first-fruits came on the third day of the Passover feast. The fourteenth day of the month Abib, or Nisan, the Passover was eaten, the fifteenth day was the Sabbath, and upon the sixteenth day, or as the Bible states it, "On the morrow after the Sabbath," the first-fruits were waved before the Lord. {1914 SNH, CIS 108.3}

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/31/14 03:18 AM

Quote:
Based on mathematical calculations of the moon? You can't use the mathematical calculations.

Mathematical calculations can give us just the astronomical conjunction. However, I have already explained that the lunar month can't have more than 30 days, and that if the lunar crescent wasn't seen on the 29th day, the new month would begin on the sunset of the 30th day, whether the crescent was visible or not.

Quote:
The Passover was eaten - Christ and His disciples ate the Passover Thursday evening. He was crucified on Friday afternoon. In the Hebrew calendar, this was the very same day.

Obviously. But the Passover was eaten on Nisan 15, so Christ can't have died on a Nisan 14.

Quote:
You link the 7th-day Sabbath to the Feast of Weeks but ignore the fact that the first day of the feast was Unleavened Bread was a ceremonial Sabbath it was the commemoration of the Passover lamb dying for sin, not the 7th-day Sabbath. It was this Sabbath that Leviticus is talking about for the Wave Sheaf and the 50 days to Pentecost.

Repeating: even if we considered the word "Sabbath" as referring to a ceremonial sabbath, there aren't 7 ceremonial sabbaths between the 16th of Nisan and Pentecost. In order to avoid this, you must attribute to the word "Sabbath" the meaning of "seven days" (a meaning it has never had) and say that the word has two completely different meanings in the same verse - "ceremonial sabbath" and "seven days."

Quote:
There is a question a discrepancy between the synoptics and John, and I posted a discussion on that.

Where is it?

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/31/14 07:36 PM

Quote:
Rosangela and Mark,

No! By no means, kland.

Quote:

No, the 50 days don't begin on the 15th, but on the day of the wave sheaf offering (first fruits), which is described, not as being on the 16th, but as being on "the morrow after the Sabbath."
So then you would be saying the wave sheaf could at times be almost a week later than Passover?

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 12/31/14 08:26 PM

Repeating: even if we considered the word "Sabbath" as referring to a ceremonial sabbath, there aren't 7 ceremonial sabbaths between the 16th of Nisan and Pentecost. In order to avoid this, you must attribute to the word "Sabbath" the meaning of "seven days" (a meaning it has never had) and say that the word has two completely different meanings in the same verse - "ceremonial sabbath" and "seven days."
"a meaning it has never had" - - Interesting how ignorant the Adventist Pioneers were? What else were they wrong about? How it is it we are so much smarter than they were? As they attributed the very meaning you say it never had? See the comments above by AT Jones, and the comments in the SDABC I posted above which you seem to have missed, which also included the discussion about the discrepancy between the synoptics and the book of John. And again you completely deny the type of Christ rising on the 3rd day? Why? Do you not believe that it is in the type?

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/19/15 03:20 PM

Quote:
So then you would be saying the wave sheaf could at times be almost a week later than Passover?

Yes, sometimes that could be the case.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/19/15 03:25 PM

Quote:
"a meaning it has never had" - - Interesting how ignorant the Adventist Pioneers were? What else were they wrong about? How it is it we are so much smarter than they were? As they attributed the very meaning you say it never had? See the comments above by AT Jones, and the comments in the SDABC I posted above which you seem to have missed, which also included the discussion about the discrepancy between the synoptics and the book of John.

Interesting. Didn't the pioneers rely on the karaite calendar? The view I'm presenting is the one followed by the karaites.

Quote:
And again you completely deny the type of Christ rising on the 3rd day? Why? Do you not believe that it is in the type?

No, I don't believe it's in the type. And, as I said, I don't believe Christ died on a Nisan 14 - a Nisan 14 is astronomically impossible in A.D. 31 for Christ's death.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/19/15 10:16 PM

You are reading "after the Sabbath" and believe it is the 7th-day Sabbath, yet the first day of the feast was a sabbath. And you believe that is is not a type. Yet, on all points you are in conflict with Ellen White's writings as the Wave Sheaf is type and Christ the anti-type, GC 399. And in PP 539 she is clear and that on the second day of the feast, the day after the ceremonial sabbath, the wave sheaf was presented. There is no way this can always be on a Sunday.

I found the following SDA commentators which discuss the day of Pentecost, and calculated astronomical data.
http://biblelight.net/pentecost.htm
http://clearbibleanswers.org/ad-31-and-the-friday-crucifixion.html

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/22/15 03:14 PM

Quote:
You are reading "after the Sabbath" and believe it is the 7th-day Sabbath, yet the first day of the feast was a sabbath

So, "after the Sabbath" means "after the first ceremonial Sabbath of the feast" (by the way, why not the second ceremonial Sabbath of the feast?). And "after the seventh Sabbath," in the following verse, means what? Don't you see this is inconsistent?

Quote:
Yet, on all points you are in conflict with Ellen White's writings as the Wave Sheaf is type and Christ the anti-type

Not at all. The Wave Sheaf is the type and Christ's resurrection is the antitype.

Quote:
And in PP 539 she is clear and that on the second day of the feast, the day after the ceremonial sabbath, the wave sheaf was presented

And in GC 642 she is clear that Christ should be sacrificed on the day the Passover was eaten, that is, Nisan 15.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/22/15 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: rosangela
So, "after the Sabbath" means "after the first ceremonial Sabbath of the feast" (by the way, why not the second ceremonial Sabbath of the feast?). And "after the seventh Sabbath," in the following verse, means what? Don't you see this is inconsistent?
Rosangela - why did Ellen White not see the so clear inconsistency as you say? Why in Adventist publications of her time did they not see it? Is it because they understood the terminology different than you?

And in GC 642 [sic] she is clear that Christ should be sacrificed on the day the Passover was eaten, that is, Nisan 15.
So to state your position clearly, you are saying Ellen White was wrong. And not only in Desire of Ages (642), but in Great Controversy:These types were fulfilled, not only as to the event, but as to the time. On the fourteenth day of the first Jewish month, the very day and month on which for fifteen long centuries the Passover lamb had been slain, Christ, having eaten the Passover with His disciples, instituted that feast which was to commemorate His own death as "the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." That same night He was taken by wicked hands to be crucified and slain. And as the antitype of the wave sheaf our Lord was raised from the dead on the third day, "the first fruits of them that slept," a sample of all the resurrected just, whose "vile body" shall be changed, and "fashioned like unto His glorious body." 1 Corinthians 15:20; Philippians 3:21. {GC 399.3}

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/22/15 09:53 PM

Quote:
Rosangela - why did Ellen White not see the so clear inconsistency as you say? Why in Adventist publications of her time did they not see it? Is it because they understood the terminology different than you?

A prophet can sometimes commit a mistake when describing details of minor importance. For instance, Ellen White writes about Herod as if the same Herod who took part in Christ's trial also killed the apostle James.

Quote:
So to state your position clearly, you are saying Ellen White was wrong. And not only in Desire of Ages (642), but in Great Controversy

Just a moment: it's you who are saying Ellen White was wrong in DA 642, since you are denying that Christ should die on the day the Passover was eaten.

Quote:
These types were fulfilled, not only as to the event, but as to the time. On the fourteenth day of the first Jewish month, the very day and month on which for fifteen long centuries the Passover lamb had been slain, Christ, having eaten the Passover with His disciples, instituted that feast which was to commemorate His own death as "the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." That same night He was taken by wicked hands to be crucified and slain. And as the antitype of the wave sheaf our Lord was raised from the dead on the third day, "the first fruits of them that slept," a sample of all the resurrected just, whose "vile body" shall be changed, and "fashioned like unto His glorious body." 1 Corinthians 15:20; Philippians 3:21. {GC 399.3}

When the text above is read, it must be borne in mind that time is passing as we advance from the time the lamb is slain to the time the lamb is eaten. During the passage of time we go from the fourteenth to the fifteenth, as the sun sets.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/23/15 05:30 AM

Ah - Nissan 15, we it a ceremonial Sabbath day or not? If it was not, then you have a bigger problem in that by your reconning, the first day of unleavened bread would have been the Sunday and the wave sheaf would have occurred AFTER the week of unleavened bread, contradiction Ellen White even more. I'll stick with Ellen's assessment, and the same reconning that is used with respect to Jonah. You seem to ignore that fact that what you espouse, we not believed by the Adventist pioneers nor Ellen White.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/23/15 04:01 PM

Quote:
Ah - Nissan 15, we it a ceremonial Sabbath day or not? If it was not, then you have a bigger problem in that by your reconning, the first day of unleavened bread would have been the Sunday and the wave sheaf would have occurred AFTER the week of unleavened bread, contradiction Ellen White even more. I'll stick with Ellen's assessment, and the same reconning that is used with respect to Jonah. You seem to ignore that fact that what you espouse, we not believed by the Adventist pioneers nor Ellen White.

?
Of course Nisan 15 was a ceremonial Sabbath.
And what you seem to ignore is that, astronomically, the death of Christ in A.D. 31 cannot have happened on a Nisan 14. By insisting that it must have happened on a Nisan 14, you are disqualifying the year 31 A.D. as the year for Christ's death.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/23/15 05:24 PM

And what you seem to ignore is that, astronomically, the death of Christ in A.D. 31 cannot have happened on a Nisan 14. By insisting that it must have happened on a Nisan 14, you are disqualifying the year 31 A.D. as the year for Christ's death.
Did you not read the link above which talks about astronomical data? I have not ignored it at all!

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/23/15 06:02 PM

Of course Nisan 15 was a ceremonial Sabbath.
Did you not read the link above which talks about astronomical data?

I was starting to think that, too.

Rosangela, what of the link's logic do you disagree with?

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/24/15 04:25 AM

First, autumn new moon crescents take longer to be spotted than spring new moon crescents, but this was a spring new moon.

Second, I don't know what the expression "3.5 days" means, as it should have been expressed in terms of hours, not of days, but certainly a lunar month won't start at the fourth sunset after conjunction. In the book The Chronology of Ezra 7, pages 154-155, Horn and Wood say:

In the Near East it takes 16.5 to 42 hours after conjunction _ depending on whether her movements in relation to her distance from the earth are fast or slow _ before the moon becomes visible again in the form of a thin crescent, waxing larger and larger until the time of full moon.

Third, a month was the twenty-nine or thirty days between the first appearance of a crescent moon at sunset and the first appearance of the next crescent moon. In a year, about half of the months had 29 and half of them had 30 days. A month couldn't have 28 or 31 days. The preceding month had started on March 13/14, sunset to sunset. Using all the thirty days possible in a month, we arrive at April 12/13, sunset to sunset.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/25/15 12:22 AM

First, autumn new moon crescents take longer to be spotted than spring new moon crescents, but this was a spring new moon.

Second, I don't know what the expression "3.5 days" means, as it should have been expressed in terms of hours, not of days, but certainly a lunar month won't start at the fourth sunset after conjunction. In the book The Chronology of Ezra 7, pages 154-155, Horn and Wood say:

In the Near East it takes 16.5 to 42 hours after conjunction _ depending on whether her movements in relation to her distance from the earth are fast or slow _ before the moon becomes visible again in the form of a thin crescent, waxing larger and larger until the time of full moon.

Third, a month was the twenty-nine or thirty days between the first appearance of a crescent moon at sunset and the first appearance of the next crescent moon. In a year, about half of the months had 29 and half of them had 30 days. A month couldn't have 28 or 31 days. The preceding month had started on March 13/14, sunset to sunset. Using all the thirty days possible in a month, we arrive at April 12/13, sunset to sunset.

I agree with Rosangela post above and also her statement that 31 AD is impossible for Nisan 14th to fall on Friday. However, I do not agree with her that Christ died on Nisan 15th. To me that's totally ludicrous. The main argument she has is based on the "Passover" meal that Jesus partook with the disciples.

The Chagigah offering & Meal

There was also "preperation" or "cleansing" offerings that took place before any of the 3 feasts(Passover, Pentecost, and Tabernacles). These were peace offerings and were known as the Chagigah which literally means a “festival offering” . A third went to the Lord, a third to the priest, and a third to the one that made the peace offering. The offerer had to eat it in a rejoicing festive manner with friends & family and all needed to be eaten by the 3rd day and burn the remaining.(Lev 4 and Lev 7) Whereas the Passover needed to be eaten at night (after sunset --the beginning of Nisan 15th) and finished before the next morning. So they only had 12 hours max to eat the passover during the night hours.

The chagigah could be a bull whereas the passover could not and had to be a lamb. The Chagigah provided meat for a longer period of time(up to the 3rd day) during the festive time. People started offering their peace offering(chagigah) up to 3 days prior or lesser to a feast as this was a time to prepare their heart before the actual feast. The same way we prepare ourself before we come to communion.

Dt 16:2 refers to this Thou shalt therefore sacrifice the passover unto the LORD thy God, of the flock(tso'n, sheep) and the herd(baqar, cattle), in the place which the LORD shall choose to place his name there. A cattle couldn't be used for the Passover, however it could be used for the Chagigah(peace offerings) that was brought and eaten with their family and friend.

Since the Jews cannot bring their offerings & sacrifices to the temple since 70 AD, they now observe these feasts with symbolism only. Today the Chagigah is represented by a boiled egg while the passover with a bone. The Chagigah is still recognized and remembered today in their feasts days.

I believe Jesus ate the Chagigah with His disciples friends to accomplish that portion of the law. It was refered to as a Passover in a generic way, like the 7 days of unleavened bread was also refered as the Passover and like Deut 16:2 refers to the "cattle" to be the Passover sacrifice(of the Chagigah) because the term was used in a general way to encapsulate all the feasts that happened that time. And the term Passover was also used specifically to refer to the actual lamb sacrifice on Nisan 14th and the meal eaten on that night.

So interpretating that Jesus ate the Passover sacrifice on the night after the 14th and died on the 15th are erronous and conflicts with fulfilling the passover on the appointed time and suggest that He broke the law of eating the passover by going outside to sing hyms with His disciples afterward by which was forbidden to do by the law.

I found the following SDA commentators which discuss the day of Pentecost, and calculated astronomical data.
http://biblelight.net/pentecost.htm
http://clearbibleanswers.org/ad-31-and-the-friday-crucifixion.html

Tx APL for providing the links. I do see lots of errors in those including the death of Herod saying it was 4BC(should be 2BC) and the fifteenth year of Tiberius Caesar being AD 27(should be 29 AD). That would take another discussion to look at the scriptures, early writings, and astronmical data. It is very important to do so to know the truth.

Interpretation of the 2 Sabbath words in Lev 23:15

Regarding the interpretation of the two words "Sabbath" in Lev 23:15, I don't believe it can be proven with scriptures. Something only the Holy Spirit can reveal to a person. I was not reveal this interpretation personally, so from what I understand and deduce from other 8th day laws:

-circumcision(7 days + 1day = 8th day),
-dedication of the priests(7 days + 1day= 8th day),
-Pentecost(7 x 7days + 1 day= 50th day but based on 8th day pattern),
-Feast of Tabernacle(7 days + 1 day = 8th day),
-Jubilee (7x7yrs + 1yrs= 50th year but 8th year pattern),

....I side with the Sadducees' interpretation that both Sabbaths refers to the 7 day Sabbath making the Pentecost always falling on a 8th day(Sunday).

Regardless whether the Sadducees or the Pharisees interpretation is correct; what I think is important is our belief of the actual fulfillment of these Types. Do we believe that the Lord fufilled the Types of the killing of the Passover, the waving sheaf, and the Pentecost on appointed time to the day? Did Jesus ressurect on a Sunday and thus having Pentecost occured on a Sunday too? Or do we believe it doesn't matter and can fall on any day.

These fulfillment(passover, Pentecost) on the appointed time-day are not possible on the year 31 AD but it is on the year 33 AD. Also 33AD aligns with the astrologicals events that points to Herod's death, the appearing of the star at Bethlehem, and the lunar eclipse that happened during Jesus death. These astrological events are not present for a 31AD date.

To go around this by saying Jesus died on Nisan 15th doesn't work either. Sooner or later more than the SDABC will have to deal with that as the whole 31 AD date is erronous by which then offsets all other dates we have set including 1844. It is a real denominational catastrophy.

It's too bad the leaders kept on treating the words of Ellen White as infallible. This is something Ellen White and James was opposed to and always pointed us to scriptures saying more revelation was to come. As a Church we could of grown in the truth by testing all things without being afraid to throw away found errors. It isn't too late to start doing that now.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/25/15 04:13 AM

Quote:
There was also "preperation" or "cleansing" offerings that took place before any of the 3 feasts(Passover, Pentecost, and Tabernacles). These were peace offerings and were known as the Chagigah which literally means a “festival offering” . A third went to the Lord, a third to the priest, and a third to the one that made the peace offering. The offerer had to eat it in a rejoicing festive manner with friends & family and all needed to be eaten by the 3rd day and burn the remaining.(Lev 4 and Lev 7) Whereas the Passover needed to be eaten at night (after sunset --the beginning of Nisan 15th) and finished before the next morning. So they only had 12 hours max to eat the passover during the night hours.

Elle, I disagree with your argument for a number of reasons.
First, a chagigah was eaten during the feasts, not before them.

Second, the three Synoptics say that the disciples prepared the meal for Jesus on the first day of Unleavened Bread (Matt. 26:17, Mark 14:12. Luke 22:7), which could apply to Nisan 14 but, obviously, not to Nisan 13.

Third, Luke says: “And he said to them, ‘I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God’ (Luke 22:15, 16). What is ludicrous is to think that Jesus is referring to the Chagigah with these words, and not to the Seder (the Passover meal), and that Jesus instituted a ceremony so important as to symbolize His blood and His flesh given for us at a Chagigah and not at a Seder.

Fourth, Calvary is the antitype of all the sacrifices of the OT. As such, it fulfilled the sacrificial aspect of all of them, not only of the Passover. And Christ died at the hour of the evening sacrifice.

Fifth, As Geldenhuys says,
The slaughtering of the lambs was indeed not the most important part of the Passover, but merely preparatory; it was the paschal repast itself that was of most importance. Why then was it necessary that Jesus, in order to be the true Paschal Lamb, should die just at the very hour when the paschal lambs were slaughtered, and should already be in His grave when the paschal repast commenced?
No, it was far more fitting that, when the paschal lambs were eaten, Jesus Himself as also Lord of the Passover (as He is Lord of the Sabbath) should be present at the paschal repast and should by the institution of the Holy Communion represent Himself as the Sacrificial Lamb of God who in a spiritual sense gives His flesh and blood to us, and should then, after having thus instituted the sing and seal of the New Dispensation, enter upon the way of suffering in order to complete everything.

Quote:
So interpretating that Jesus ate the Passover sacrifice on the night after the 14th and died on the 15th are erronous and conflicts with fulfilling the passover on the appointed time and suggest that He broke the law of eating the passover by going outside to sing hyms with His disciples afterward by which was forbidden to do by the law.

Sorry, this argument is not valid. After the Passover lamb was eaten, singing hymns and going outside were, obviously, not forbidden by law.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/25/15 11:44 PM

Tx for your time to reply.
Originally Posted By: Elle

Elle, I disagree with your argument for a number of reasons.
First, a chagigah was eaten during the feasts, not before it.

Not entirely true.

-First the word chagigah can also be employed as a generic or broad way as well as specifically to mean the peace offering. Plus the traditional way to keep the peace offering(chagigah) versus what the Lord showed them (at the beginning when they occupied the land) appears to be lost and disputed amongst the Jewish scholars like it is with other passages like it is with Lev 23:15 concerning when is Pentecost.

-We know that the people got to Jerusalem a few days prior to the feasts for cleansing rituals.( 2Ch 30:18 & John 11:55 “And the Jews' passover was nigh at hand: and many went out of the country up to Jerusalem before the passover, to purify themselves.” )

-The law does not say specifically when the peace offering was offered. It only says to bring your peace offerings to the 3 feasts times. So this leaves it wide open for private interpretation.

-Also, the peace offering was optional.

-A few scholars including Bullinger, experts on understanding the laws, says is was done prior to the feasts. Bullinger states that the last supper was "not the eating of the Lamb, but the Chagigah or feast which preceded it . . ." (p. 1500).

-Many others says there were 2 chigigahs offerings on the Passover season, one on Nissan 14 the other on Nissan 15.

My conclusion : I think it could also be both times (before or during the feasts) can be correct as the law leaves it very open.

The main point here is that there were other festive meals that were partaken at or just before the Passover season besides the Paschal lamb. This leave open to the possibility that the Last supper may have been a Chagigah type of meal. I don't think this can be proven. But for sure we can prove that it was not a Passover meal as shown by the synopsis of John below.

Second, the three Synoptics say that the disciples prepared the meal for Jesus on the first day of Unleavened Bread (Matt. 26:17, Mark 14:12. Luke 22:7), which could apply to Nisan 14 but, obviously, not to Nisan 13.

I believe Matthew, Mark, and Luke was referring to the night of Nisan 13th when Nisan 14th began at sunset. The preparation day of the Passover (or Unleavened Bread) season started from sunset(Thursday night) and terminated Sunset(Friday Night) of Nisan 14. It was on Nisan 14(preperation day of passover) that the lamb was killed. Preperation day(Nisan 14) was not a ceremonial Sabbath day and that's why the leaders were able to conduct tribunal affairs. After that Sunset(Friday night when Nisan 15 begins) that's when everyone ate their passover meal.

So Thursday night at the beginning of Nisan 14th was “the first day of unleavened bread” SEASON which started with the passover preperation day “on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. “ Luke 22:7 “when it was customary to sacrifice the Passover lamb” (Mark 14:12) So the disciple ask Jesus "Where do you want us to make preparations for you to eat the Passover?"(Mat 26:17). That evening the Pascal lamb was still not killed yet, nor was it the time for it as for it was just the beginning of the preparation day(Thursday night after sunset). Preparation day started by removing all the leaven in the house, preparing the eating area and the lamb was to be killed the next day on Nisan 14th between the two evenings. So while they started to make preparation for the Passover meal, they had the last supper together. But this was not the passover meal.

This goes in harmony with the account of the gospel of John that refer to the last supper by saying it was “before the feast of the Passover”(John 13:1)-- meaning that meal when Judas betrayed Jesus occur before the evening of the 14th-15th when is the time to eat the passover meal.

Before Judas took off, and the disciple was trying to figure out what Jesus meant with His words toward Judas and thought that because Judas had the money bag Jesus was instructing him to "Buy those things we need for the Feast,"(Jn 13:29). This text points that they had not finish the preparation of the Passover during that meal.

After that last supper, on that same night that's when Jesus was seized by the Jewish leaders and brought to be judged. When the early morning came JOHN 18:28 says “Then they led Jesus from Caiaphas to the Praetorium, and it was early morning. But they themselves did not go into the Praetorium, lest they should be defiled, but that they mighteat the Passover. (NKJV)” (see also Luke 18:28) These texts shows that the leaders had not eaten the Passover yet either by early morning.

The following 3 texts all show that it was still Passover preparation day(Nissan 14th) when Jesus died and yet no one had eaten the Passover yet.

-JOHN 19:14 Now it was the Preparation Day of the Passover, and about the sixth hour. And he[Pilate] said to the Jews, "Behold your King!" (NKJV)

-JOHN 19:31 Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away. (NKJV)

-JOHN 19:42 So there they laid Jesus, because of the Jews' Preparation Day, for the tomb was nearby. (NKJV)

To me all these texts is clear that the last supper, the betrayal, the tribunal, the crucifixion, the death of Jesus, and it’s burial ….all happened in this order starting from the evening of Nisan 13th-14th up to Nisan 14th-15th.

Third, Luke says: “And he said to them, ‘I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God’ (Luke 22:15, 16). What is ludicrous is to think that Jesus is referring to the Chagigah with these words, and not to the Seder (the Passover meal), and that Jesus instituted a ceremony so important as to symbolize His blood and His flesh given for us at a Chagigah and not at a Seder.

Different translation can give different spin to a text. Many had translated Luke 22:15,16 to say Jesus was telling them that he desired but He won’t be eating of the coming Passover with them until the Kingdom is fulfilled. Here’s a few translation : (Note that “(coming)” before Passover is my addition because see John Synopsis above) “

American Standard Version
And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this (coming) passover with you before I suffer: for I say unto you, I shall not eat it, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
And he said to them, “I have greatly desired to eat this (coming) Passover with you before I suffer. For I say to you, from now on, I shall not eat it until it shall be fulfilled in the Kingdom of God.”

English Revised Version
And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this (coming) passover with you before I suffer: for I say unto you, I will not eat it, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God. Etc…

Quote:
Fourth, Calvary is the antitype of all the sacrifices of the OT. As such, it fulfilled the sacrificial aspect of all of them, not only of the Passover. And Christ died at the hour of the evening sacrifice.

Concerning the first part, the Paschal sacrifice was the only sacrifice made into a feast that represented our Justification which focused on the death work of Christ by spilling His blood for us which is the foundation of all other rituals that represents other aspects of our salvation process including our sanctification and cleansing. Without the death of Jesus, all other sacrifices and rituals losses its foundation and losses there meaning. I do not see that the Feast of unleavened bread is capable of being that foundation. The unleavenened bread is not in the Day of atonement or in the cleansing rituals with the two doves(Lev 14) and other sacrificial rituals.

Concerning the second part, I don’t understand your argument with the timing of “the evening sacrifice”. Jesus was crucified(put on the cross) on the 3rd hour(9AM), but He died on the 9th hours(3PM)(Mk 15:25,34; Mat 27:46;). According to the Law the Paschal lamb was to be sacrificed between the two evenings(after Noon and before Sunset(5PM)). Jesus died right at the middle at 3PM. What’s interesting they couldn’t make any sacrifices between noon(6th hour) and 3PM(9th hour) for Mathew 27:45 and Luke 23:44 tells us “darkness came over the entire land”. And then at 3PM, the curtain of the temple ripped. So I’m sure there was lots of panic to do all the necessary lamb slaughtering (according to Josephus around 250,000) with the remaining 2 hours left. So yes Jesus death coincided with the time of the evening sacrifice and fulfilled also the timing of the Paschal lamb. I don’t see your last point.

Quote:
Fifth, As Geldenhuys says,
The slaughtering of the lambs was indeed not the most important part of the Passover, but merely preparatory; it was the paschal repast itself that was of most importance. Why then was it necessary that Jesus, in order to be the true Paschal Lamb, should die just at the very hour when the paschal lambs were slaughtered, and should already be in His grave when the paschal repast commenced?
No, it was far more fitting that, when the paschal lambs were eaten, Jesus Himself as also Lord of the Passover (as He is Lord of the Sabbath) should be present at the paschal repast and should by the institution of the Holy Communion represent Himself as the Sacrificial Lamb of God who in a spiritual sense gives His flesh and blood to us, and should then, after having thus instituted the sing and seal of the New Dispensation, enter upon the way of suffering in order to complete everything.

This reasoning is severely in conflicts with many scriptures that I have given just a few above but there’s more. Who is this Geldenhuys guy(or gal)? I tried to find him and this quote but none came up on the internet. Is he an SDA pastor trying to work around the 31AD problem?

Sorry, this argument is not valid. After the Passover lamb was eaten, singing hymns and going outside are, obviously, not forbidden by law.

Maybe the Rabbinic traditions that often made void the laws of God, didn’t observed this, but it was instructed by the Lord :

Exodus 12:22 And you shall take a bunch of hyssop and dip it in the blood which is in the basin, and apply some of the blood that is in the basin to the lintel and the two doorposts; and none of you shall go outside the door of his house until morning.

The last supper was NOT the Passover meal which is clear especially with the synopsis of John; but let us suppose it was, I believe Jesus would of not gone outside till morning to fulfill the law.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/27/15 04:52 AM

Quote:
The law does not say specifically when the peace offering was offered. It only says to bring your peace offerings to the 3 feasts times. So this leaves it wide open for private interpretation.

I disagree. The law gives clear instruction about it:
Deu 16:1 "Observe the month of Abib and keep the Passover to the LORD your God, for in the month of Abib the LORD your God brought you out of Egypt by night.
Deu 16:2 And you shall offer the Passover sacrifice to the LORD your God, from the flock or the herd, [the “herd” cannot reffer to the sacrifice offered on the 14th, so it refers to the other sacrifices offered during the Passover week] at the place that the LORD will choose, to make his name dwell there.
Deu 16:3 You shall eat no leavened bread with it. [“It” here can only refer to “the Passover sacrifice” mentioned in the previous verse, “from the flock or from the herd”] Seven days you shall eat it with unleavened bread, the bread of affliction--for you came out of the land of Egypt in haste--that all the days of your life you may remember the day when you came out of the land of Egypt.
Deu 16:4 No leaven shall be seen with you in all your territory for seven days, nor shall any of the flesh that you sacrifice on the evening of the first day remain all night until morning. ...
Deu 16:14 You shall rejoice in your feast, you and your son and your daughter, your male servant and your female servant, the Levite, the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow who are within your towns.
Deu 16:15 For seven days you shall keep the feast to the LORD your God at the place that the LORD will choose, because the LORD your God will bless you in all your produce and in all the work of your hands, so that you will be altogether joyful.
Deu 16:16 "Three times a year all your males shall appear before the LORD your God at the place that he will choose: at the Feast of Unleavened Bread, at the Feast of Weeks, and at the Feast of Booths. They shall not appear before the LORD empty-handed.
Deu 16:17 Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the LORD your God that he has given you.

Also:
2Cr 30:22 And Hezekiah spoke encouragingly to all the Levites who showed good skill in the service of the LORD. So they ate the food of the festival for seven days, sacrificing peace offerings and giving thanks to the LORD, the God of their fathers. [So the peace offerings were offered during the seven days of the feast]

2Cr 35:7 Then Josiah contributed to the lay people, as Passover offerings for all who were present, lambs and young goats from the flock to the number of 30,000, and 3,000 bulls; these were from the king's possessions.
2Cr 35:8 And his officials contributed willingly to the people, to the priests, and to the Levites. Hilkiah, Zechariah, and Jehiel, the chief officers of the house of God, gave to the priests for the Passover offerings 2,600 Passover lambs and 300 bulls.
2Cr 35:9 Conaniah also, and Shemaiah and Nethanel his brothers, and Hashabiah and Jeiel and Jozabad, the chiefs of the Levites, gave to the Levites for the Passover offerings 5,000 lambs and young goats and 500 bulls.
2Cr 35:10 When the service had been prepared for, the priests stood in their place, and the Levites in their divisions according to the king's command.
2Cr 35:11 And they slaughtered the Passover lamb, and the priests threw the blood that they received from them while the Levites flayed the sacrifices.
2Cr 35:12 And they set aside the burnt offerings that they might distribute them according to the groupings of the fathers' houses of the lay people, to offer to the LORD, as it is written in the Book of Moses. And so they did with the bulls.
2Cr 35:13 And they roasted the Passover lamb with fire according to the rule; and they boiled the holy offerings in pots, in cauldrons, and in pans, and carried them quickly to all the lay people.

Besides the sacrifices required for the feast, the peace offerings were all described as being offered during the seven days of the feast.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/27/15 04:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I believe Matthew, Mark, and Luke was referring to the night of Nisan 13th when Nisan 14th began at sunset.

No. Luke is very clear about it:

Luc 22:7 Then came the day of Unleavened Bread, on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed.
Luc 22:8 So Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, "Go and prepare the Passover for us, that we may eat it."

This was in the morning, and the “day of Unleavened Bread” had already come. Robertson says about this verse:

The day of unleavened bread came (ēlthen hē hēmera tōn azumōn). The day itself came, not simply was drawing nigh (Luk_22:1).

Quote:
Preparation day started by removing all the leaven in the house, preparing the eating area and the lamb was to be killed the next day on Nisan 14th between the two evenings. So while they started to make preparation for the Passover meal, they had the last supper together. But this was not the passover meal.

First, we can find no evidence that there was any particular day which was called “the preparation of the Passover”. Second, in the Bible no other day is called “the preparation” except the day before the Sabbath, that is, Friday. Because it was the Passover week, John calls it the Passover preparation day.

The New International Version correctly translates this verse as follows: “It was the day of Preparation of Passover Week, about the sixth hour. ‘Here is your king,’ Pilate said to the Jews” (John 19:14).

Edersheim says:
I have simply rendered the _Paraskeue tou Pasca_ by Friday in Passover-week. The evidence for regarding _Paraskeue_ in the Gospels, as the terminus technicus for Friday, has been often set forth. See Kirchner, D. jud. Passahf. pp. 447, &c. (Alfred Edersheim, The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah: The Cross and the Crown. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1953; p. 581).

Quote:
This goes in harmony with the account of the gospel of John that refer to the last supper by saying it was “before the feast of the Passover”(John 13:1)-- meaning that meal when Judas betrayed Jesus occur before the evening of the 14th-15th when is the time to eat the passover meal.

John 13:1 does not teach, as it seems to teach according to the translation of this verse in the A.V. and R.V., that the Saviour instituted the Holy Communion before the Passover.
As Geldenhuys says,

By making “before the feast” refer to “Jesus... loved them until the end,” the sense is not clearly expressed. What could John have meant by such a statement? If, however, we take the expression “before the feast,” along with eidwv" (knowing), the verse immediately reads more naturally, for then we may translate it as follows: “Knowing (already) before the Passover that His hour had come to depart out of this world unto His Father, Jesus, He who loved His own in this world, loved them unto the end (or ‘to the uttermost’)....”
Even Westcott, who held that John teaches that Jesus was crucified on the 14th, admits that verse 1 “is complete in itself”. In verse 2 “we have a fresh beginning.”... So we have no right to make the fixing of the date refer to the meal mentioned in verse 2 or to the washing of the feet (Norval Geldenhuys, The New International Commentary on the New Testament: The Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1979, pp. 657-58).

Quote:
Before Judas took off, and the disciple was trying to figure out what Jesus meant with His words toward Judas and thought that because Judas had the money bag Jesus was instructing him to "Buy those things we need for the Feast,"(Jn 13:29). This text points that they had not finish the preparation of the Passover during that meal.

The expression in John 13:29, “Buy what we need for the feast”, does not show that it was not the paschal supper which Christ ate with His disciples, for here it is not stated, “Buy what we need for the paschal repast,” but “what we need for the feast, i.e., for the seven days’ feast which commences to-night and for which still many things are required.”

Quote:
After that last supper, on that same night that's when Jesus was seized by the Jewish leaders and brought to be judged. When the early morning came JOHN 18:28 says “Then they led Jesus from Caiaphas to the Praetorium, and it was early morning. But they themselves did not go into the Praetorium, lest they should be defiled, but that they mighteat the Passover. (NKJV)” (see also Luke 18:28) These texts shows that the leaders had not eaten the Passover yet either by early morning.

No, it doesn’t. As we have seen, “to eat the Passover” applies to the seven days of the feast, and not only to the Passover meal, but to the chagigah and the unleavened bread.

Quote:
Different translation can give different spin to a text. Many had translated Luke 22:15,16 to say Jesus was telling them that he desired but He won’t be eating of the coming Passover with them until the Kingdom is fulfilled. Here’s a few translation : (Note that “(coming)” before Passover is my addition because see John Synopsis above) “

Sure it is your addition, as no translation brings the word, and it is completely unwarranted.

Quote:
Concerning the first part, the Paschal sacrifice was the only sacrifice made into a feast that represented our Justification which focused on the death work of Christ by spilling His blood for us which is the foundation of all other rituals that represents other aspects of our salvation process including our sanctification and cleansing.

No, our justification is represented by the Paschal supper, not by the Paschal sacrifice. As Geldenhuys says, the Paschal supper was the most important part of the feast.

Quote:
Concerning the second part, I don’t understand your argument with the timing of “the evening sacrifice”. Jesus was crucified(put on the cross) on the 3rd hour(9AM), but He died on the 9th hours(3PM)(Mk 15:25,34; Mat 27:46;). According to the Law the Paschal lamb was to be sacrificed between the two evenings(after Noon and before Sunset(5PM)).

“Betweem the two evenings” means simply during the afternoon; there is no reference to a precise hour, while the evening sacrifice was offered at a precise hour – 3 p.m.

Quote:
This reasoning is severely in conflicts with many scriptures that I have given just a few above but there’s more. Who is this Geldenhuys guy(or gal)? I tried to find him and this quote but none came up on the internet. Is he an SDA pastor trying to work around the 31AD problem?

AS I have shown, it is not in conflict with the Scriptures. Geldenhuys is one of the best commentators about Luke. No, he is not a SDA and his commentary is not in the Internet. There has been a long debate among theologians about the death of Christ being on the 14th or on the 15th. Opinions are divided, since the three synoptics are clear that Jesus died on the 15th. Some statements of John seem to imply that He died on the 14th. But this is 3 against 1, and it is easier to find an explanation for what John says than to explain away what the Synoptics say.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/27/15 06:14 AM

No. Luke is very clear about it:
Luke 22:1 Now the feast of unleavened bread drew near, which is called the Passover.

So which is it? Unleavened bread, or Passover? Or a combination of both? Luke 22:7,8 is not so clear now...

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/27/15 02:36 PM

Of course it is clear. Both names were applied to the whole feast, as the verse says. What can't be the case is "the first day of unleavened bread" being applied to Nisan 13.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/27/15 06:24 PM

Of course it is clear. Both names were applied to the whole feast, as the verse says.
That is my point.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/27/15 10:22 PM

Of course it is clear. Both names were applied to the whole feast, as the verse says. What can't be the case is "the first day of unleavened bread" being applied to Nisan 13.

I don't know if you were refering to my view, if so you have mis-understood what I have said by which is the opinion of many scholars that the reference of "the first day of unleavened bread" by the 3 gospels was the evening of Nisan 14th (Thursday at dusk when Nisan 13 and 14th met at sundown). At that time it was the beginning of "the first day of unleavened bread". That's when many believe the last supper took place.

It is true that "unleaveaned Bread" and "Passover" were used interchangibly which created a lot of confusion for us reading the accounts. So this expression would also mean "the first day of the Passover SEASON" which began at the evening of Nisan 14th to remove all leaven in the house and sacrifice the lamb later in the after noon of Nisan 14th.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, for not asking sooner and it is unclear to me -- how do you interpret the fulfillment of the whole Spring Feasts scenario as the days progress for a 31 AD by which Nisan 14th falls on a Thursday with most TYPES that are not fulfilled on appointed time. Contrary to a Nisan 14th scenario that falls of a Friday (example given below), like it was on 33 AD, all TYPES fulfillment falls on appointed times.

Also, tell me is your position the same as the Church's (those at the head)?

Correct me where I’m wrong trying to understand your application of 31AD when Friday is Nisan 15th with the 4 gospels accounts as followed :

Scenario when Nisan 14 falls on a Thursday -- on 31 AD (My understanding of Rosangela's View)

(-In Blue is the fulfillment of the TYPE at the appointed Time.
- In Red is where the TYPE is not fulfilled at appointed times or the breakage of law occured.)

Night & Day of Nisan 14th (Thursday):
-the passover lamb for Jesus and disciples is killed at the temple; however the account was not given in the 4 gospels.
- they got the upper room and prepared it.

Evening of Nisan 15th (Thursday night) :
- Beginning of Ceremonial Sabbath where no civil work was allowed.
-Jesus & disciples ate the Passover lamb.
-This conflicts that how the disciple could think that Judas was being instructed to buy things for the Feast. Nisan 15th was a Ceremonial Sabbath, thus it was unthinkable that Jesus would of instruct Judas to go to buy things for the Feast. (John 13:29)
-or any further preperation work was needed at this point.

Night of Nisan 15th :
-They go outside to sing hymn. This would break Ex12:22 where it says it was forbidden to go out until morning.
- Jesus arrested & tribunal takes place until early morning. These are civil work which are forbidden to be conducted on Ceremonial Sabbaths, and weekly Sabbaths.

Day Nisan 15th (Friday):
-Still the 1st day of unleavened bread which was a Ceremonial Sabbath day. No civil work to be done on that day; thus the Jewish Leaders would be breaking the Sabbath by conducting tribunal affairs.
-How would the Jewish Leaders be afraid to be defiled if they had already eaten Passover lamb?
-Jesus is crucified at 9am but He dies on the cross 3pm by which is NOT the appointed day the lamb in the law is sacrificed and all the paschal lambs for the feats had been sacrificed in the day prior.

Before dusk of Nisan 15th :
-Joseph buys a linen cloth to wrap Jesus. It was unlawful to buy on the ceremonial Sabbath day of Nisan 15th. Joseph couldn’t of bought the cloth Nisan 14th for He didn’t know then that Jesus was going to be killed on the next day.
-Jesus is put in the tomb before sunset.

Evening of Nisan 16th(Friday Night) :
-Nothing special happens…. the lamb had already been eaten the previous night.

Day of Nisan 16th (Sabbath) Omer 1:
-2nd day of unleavened bread, work can be resumed but since this was a weekly Sabbath day, no one could work that day also.
-According to the Pharisaical interpretation the wave sheaf happens here. However Jesus doesn’t resurrect until the following day. Right. So here also, the wave sheaf is not fulfilled at the appointed time.

Day of Nisan 17th (Sunday) Omer 2 :
-Jesus resurrect, but fulfills no appointed time.

After 7 Sabbaths Omer 50 falls on a Sabbath having 8 Sabbaths in the count :
-I had never seen this before, this is very interesting to have 8 Sabbaths in the count when you start counting the day of Nisan 16th that falls on a Sabbath.
- Rosangela, do you (& Head of Church) believe that the fulfillment of Pentecost fell on a Sabbath?

Scenario when Nisan 14 falls on a Friday -- on 33 AD (My View)

This scenario brings in harmony all 4 gospels synopsis and all the law of spring feasts fulfilled at appointed time, including Lev 23:15 concerning the Pentecost as follows:

Evening of Nisan 14th (Thursday night) :
-Nisan 14th was not a ceremonial Sabbath; thus they could buy things & do civil work, and do all the preparation necessary before the Paschal lamb was eaten at night on Nisan 15th.
- when they started to get the upper room ready for the Feast and
- had a meal together by which many scholars says it was the first Chagigah(peace offering) of Nisan 14th. Note that there was a second chagigah that was eaten on Nisan 15th.

Night of Nisan 14th :
-They sing a hymn outside on Mt Olives… it doesn't break the law of Ex 12:22, for the meal was not the Paschal.
-Jesus arrested.
-Jesus tribunal takes place until early morning.

Day Nisan 14th (Friday):
-Jewish Leaders afraid to be defiled(so they wouldn’t be able to eat Passover lamb that they haven't eaten yet); so they don’t want to go inside Pilates’ Palace to present Jesus tribunal case.
- Jesus is crucified at 9am(Some say He was put on the cross at noon but the crucifixion verdict given at 9am)
- He dies on the cross at 3pm .

Before dusk of Nisan 14th :
-Joseph buys a linen cloth to wrap Jesus.
-Jesus is put in the tomb before sunset.

Evening of Nisan 15th(Friday Night) :
-Everyone’s Feast preparation needs to be completed by then.
-The Passover lamb was to be eaten that night until morning according to the law.

Day of Nisan 15th (Sabbath) :
-1st day of unleavened bread.
-Jesus sleeps(rest). Fulfills Sabbath rest.

Day of Nisan 16th (Sunday) Omer 1 :
-It is the day of the wave sheaf offering.
-Jesus resurrect and fulfills the Type of the wave sheaf .
-When Nisan 14th falls on a Friday, that’s the only day scenario for the Pharisees and the Sadducees interpretation of Lev 23:15 comes out on the same day for the wave sheaf.

Day after 7 Sabbaths(Sunday) Omer 50 :
-Pentecost(Omer 50) lands on Sunday which is the day after 7 Sabbaths.
-Only scenario(when Nisan 14th falls on Friday) that the day after 7 Sabbaths falls on a Sunday which is literally the day after 7 Sabbaths count which is when it is believe that the Pentecost of Acts was fulfilled.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/28/15 07:07 PM

I believe Jesus ate the Chagigah with His disciples friends to accomplish that portion of the law. It was refered to as a Passover in a generic way, like the 7 days of unleavened bread was also refered as the Passover and like Deut 16:2 refers to the "cattle" to be the Passover sacrifice(of the Chagigah) because the term was used in a general way to encapsulate all the feasts that happened that time.
These fulfillment(passover, Pentecost) on the appointed time-day are not possible on the year 31 AD but it is on the year 33 AD.

Elle, it sounded like you were saying that 31 AD was all possible because of the generic way of referring to the days. Then you go and conclude it wasn't possible.

I must have missed your point.

(And by the way, I'm not sure a valid argument would be with the Jews worried about breaking the ceremonial law. They broke their Creator. And then in your version, you say they still instigated the tribunal)

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 01/28/15 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: kland
I believe Jesus ate the Chagigah with His disciples friends to accomplish that portion of the law. It was refered to as a Passover in a generic way, like the 7 days of unleavened bread was also refered as the Passover and like Deut 16:2 refers to the "cattle" to be the Passover sacrifice(of the Chagigah) because the term was used in a general way to encapsulate all the feasts that happened that time.
These fulfillment(passover, Pentecost) on the appointed time-day are not possible on the year 31 AD but it is on the year 33 AD.

Elle, it sounded like you were saying that 31 AD was all possible because of the generic way of referring to the days. Then you go and conclude it wasn't possible.

I must have missed your point.

You did miss the point. No I wasn't supporting a 31AD date but a 33AD date. Let me be brief with the main points :

-I stand by 33 AD where Nisan 14th is on Friday and all the Spring Feasts are fulfilled at the appointed time and no laws are broken with the accounts of the gospels. (see the 33AD scenario in the post #171542). Also a 33AD date correlates with other astronomical occurences that marks Jesus birth, Herode's death, and Jesus death by which the 31AD doesn't. We can look at these more closely also if anyone is interested.

-On 31AD Nisan 14th falls on Thursday and Nisan 15th falls on a Friday.
-Rosangela says :
....a) Jesus fulfilled the eating of the Passover with His disciples on the appointed time(on thursday night which was the beginning of Nisan 15th on 31AD) and
....b)He did NOT die on Nisan 14th but on Friday Nisan 15th.

With Rosangela point of view, I layed out all the Spring feast events with a 31AD scenario according to the gospel in the same post #171542) . I believe this is what Rosangela believe, but I may be wrong and I hope she will show me were my understanding is wrong.

In Red of the 31AD scenario is where Jesus did NOT fulfill the Spring Feasts at the appointed time and where the laws would be broken with the gospel accounts.

With Rosangela 31AD view, only the eating of the paschal lamb with His disciples would fulfill the law by which she believe that fulfillment is greather than the death of Jesus fulfill on a appointed time.

I think this is totally non sense(look at all the red section). I understand why she's considering to stick with 31AD, because for admitting the error and changing to the 33AD date would mean the whole collapse of the SDA timeline including 1844. That's the price that many will not be willing to pay.

(And by the way, I'm not sure a valid argument would be with the Jews worried about breaking the ceremonial law. They broke their Creator. And then in your version, you say they still instigated the tribunal)

The Jews were very particular about not working on the Sabbath; thus I doubt very much they will go to the lenght of doing an arrest, and public tribunal process (both civil work) on the Sabbath. Whether or not they are concern about this or if they did break the Sabbath doesn't really matter.

What really matters in this is all the Spring Feast TYPES(Death of Paschal Lamb on Nisan 14th, Jesus ressurection not coinciding with Wave sheaf offering on 16th, Omer count ending with 8 Sabbaths, Pentecost not fulfilled on Sunday, and etc...) that was NOT fulfill on the appointed time with a 31 AD scenario where Nisan 14th falls on a Thursday.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 02/01/15 02:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know if you were refering to my view, if so you have mis-understood what I have said by which is the opinion of many scholars that the reference of "the first day of unleavened bread" by the 3 gospels was the evening of Nisan 14th (Thursday at dusk when Nisan 13 and 14th met at sundown). At that time it was the beginning of "the first day of unleavened bread". That's when many believe the last supper took place.

Luc 22:1 And the Feast of Unleavened Bread, which is called the Passover, drew near. ...
Luc 22:7 And the day of the Unleavened Bread came, when the passover must be killed. ...
Luc 22:14 And when the hour came, He and the twelve apostles with Him reclined.
Luc 22:15 And He said to them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer.

Mat 26:17 And on the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the disciples came to Jesus, saying to Him, Where do You desire that we prepare for You to eat the Passover? ...
Mat 26:20 And when evening had come, He sat down with the Twelve.

Several things to notice here. First, the evangelist mentions that the Feast of Unleavened Bread was approaching. Then, he says that it came. If the day began at sunset, how could he say, several hours before sunset [since the Passover still had to be prepared], that the day had come? Of course he was referring to the day which had begun on the previous sunset – which, of course, was the Passover day, the day “when the Passover must be killed.” The Passover was eaten at the sunset which marked the transition between the 14th and the 15th. That’s why, “when the hour came” [notice, a precise hour], Christ and the disciples took their places to eat it. Matthew says, “when evening had come [of course a reference to sunset], He sat down with the Twelve”.

Quote:
Sorry, for not asking sooner and it is unclear to me -- how do you interpret the fulfillment of the whole Spring Feasts scenario as the days progress for a 31 AD by which Nisan 14th falls on a Thursday with most TYPES that are not fulfilled on appointed time. Contrary to a Nisan 14th scenario that falls of a Friday (example given below), like it was on 33 AD, all TYPES fulfillment falls on appointed times.

All the types were fulfilled at the appointed time. Christ’s sacrifice didn’t have to occur at the same moment the sacrifice occurred in a feast. There were sacrifices at Passover, at Pentecost, at the Day of Atonement, at Tabernacles. This means that the death of Christ was the basis for all those events in the history of salvation, not that it should occur at the moment that it occurred in any of those feasts. Besides, the sacrifice during Passover was individual, and, after noon, several hours were spent slaying all the sacrifices of the people. So, as I said in my previous post, there was not a precise hour for the Passover sacrifice, while the evening sacrifice was offered at a precise hour – 3 p.m.

As already pointed out, the high point of the feast was not the Passover sacrifice, but the Passover meal, when the Passover lamb and the unleavened bread were eaten – which symbolized the personal appropriation of Christ’s sacrifice. Christ ate the last Passover and, at the same time, replaced it by the Lord’s Supper.

The emblems Christ left us in remembrance of His sacrifice were connected not to Nisan 14, but to Nisan 15. Christ was the antitype not only of the Passover lamb, but also of the unleavened bread. And type met the antitype not only when He died on the cross, but also when He instituted the Lord’s Supper, giving to His disciples the unleavened bread to eat and the sweet wine to drink. The end of sacrifices and the transition from the old to the new covenant began at the paschal supper.

So, Christ died on the day the Passover lamb and the unleavened bread were eaten and was resurrected on the day the sheaf was waved.

Quote:
Contrary to a Nisan 14th scenario that falls of a Friday (example given below), like it was on 33 AD, all TYPES fulfillment falls on appointed times.

Where does the type of the unleavened bread fit in this scenario?

Quote:
Also, tell me is your position the same as the Church's (those at the head)?

Not at this moment. At least this is not the position of the SDABC, an official publication.

Quote:
-This conflicts that how the disciple could think that Judas was being instructed to buy things for the Feast. Nisan 15th was a Ceremonial Sabbath, thus it was unthinkable that Jesus would of instruct Judas to go to buy things for the Feast. (John 13:29)

Animals for offerings could be prepared on ceremonial sabbaths and, probably, could also be bought.

Quote:
-They go outside to sing hymn. This would break Ex12:22 where it says it was forbidden to go out until morning.

The Passover in Egypt was different in some details from the subsequent Passovers. In the subsequent Passovers this no longer applied, nor the command to take a bunch of hyssop and dip it in the blood of the paschal lamb, touching the lintel and the two doorposts, nor the command to eat the Passover standing, with the loins girt, shoes on, and a staff in the hand.

Quote:
- Jesus arrested & tribunal takes place until early morning. These are civil work which are forbidden to be conducted on Ceremonial Sabbaths, and weekly Sabbaths.

Really? Except it was a matter of “national security.” Did you know the Jews fought wars on the weekly Sabbath? Do you remember they went to Pilate on the weekly Sabbath to ask him for soldiers and to ask that measures be taken to secure Christ’s tomb (Matt. 27:62-66)?

Quote:
-Joseph buys a linen cloth to wrap Jesus. It was unlawful to buy on the ceremonial Sabbath day of Nisan 15th.

This was an emergency. If someone dies on the Sabbath won’t you buy a coffin?

Quote:
-According to the Pharisaical interpretation the wave sheaf happens here. However Jesus doesn’t resurrect until the following day. Right. So here also, the wave sheaf is not fulfilled at the appointed time.

The pharisaical interpretation is strained. It’s hard to swallow that “Sabbath” means “seven days,” but it’s even worse that it means “ceremonial sabbath” and “seven days” in the very same verse.

Quote:
-I had never seen this before, this is very interesting to have 8 Sabbaths in the count when you start counting the day of Nisan 16th that falls on a Sabbath.

Nowhere does the law say that “Nisan 16” is the day when the sheaf is waved. It says “the morrow after the Sabbath,” which is a Sunday.

Quote:
Rosangela, do you (& Head of Church) believe that the fulfillment of Pentecost fell on a Sabbath?

No, the SDABC defends Christ died on a Nisan 14, and I believe Pentecost always fell on a Sunday.

Quote:
Scenario when Nisan 14 falls on a Friday -- on 33 AD

33 A.D. is too late for the chronological data to fit. 30 A.D. would be much more reasonable. I would choose 30 A.D. if I believed Christ died on a Nisan 14.

Quote:
I think this is totally non sense(look at all the red section). I understand why she's considering to stick with 31AD, because for admitting the error and changing to the 33AD date would mean the whole collapse of the SDA timeline including 1844. That's the price that many will not be willing to pay.

And what do you think is the reason why many non-SDA theologians side with a Nisan 15 for Christ’s death?

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 02/03/15 09:18 PM

What really matters in this is all the Spring Feast TYPES(Death of Paschal Lamb on Nisan 14th, Jesus ressurection not coinciding with Wave sheaf offering on 16th, Omer count ending with 8 Sabbaths, Pentecost not fulfilled on Sunday, and etc...) that was NOT fulfill on the appointed time with a 31 AD scenario where Nisan 14th falls on a Thursday.
But if Passover days are referred to in general, why couldn't it be 31 AD?

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 02/03/15 10:45 PM

But if Passover days are referred to in general, why couldn't it be 31 AD?

??? Could you elaborate what you mean?

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 02/05/15 05:56 PM

I understood you saying "the Passover" can refer to any number of days during the time. So when someone said "the Passover", one would not know if it was preparatory to Passover, Passover, or one of the days of the unleavened bread. That is, no specific day could be affixed.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 02/06/15 05:47 PM

I understood you saying "the Passover" can refer to any number of days during the time. So when someone said "the Passover", one would not know if it was preparatory to Passover, Passover, or one of the days of the unleavened bread. That is, no specific day could be affixed.

Yes. So, the context defines what someone is referring to specifically.

To make things even messier is the Chagigah (peace offering) was also referred as Passover, or day of unleavened bread, or Pentecost, or Feast of Tabernacle, or just generally as "festival offering" which is the literal meaning of chagigah. So, it all depends on the context also for the usage of the peace offering. Like I said previously, many Jewish scholars teach that there were two Chagigah, one eaten at the evening of Nisan 14th, and the other eaten at the evening of Nisan 15th.

Someone that has kept the feasts and knows the rituals, have less struggles to understand these expressions, however for us who never, it can get quite confusing.

Looking at the Context of the Last Supper

Let’s look at the context Luke, Mark, and Matthew used in their expression :

AV Lk 22:7 “ Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed. 8 And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat.

AV Mk 14:12 . “And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?

AV Mt 26:17 . “ Now the first [day] of the [feast of] unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?

Context says :
A) Two accounts say it was the day “when the passover must be killed”.
B) All three accounts relates to this day as a day “to prepare to eat the passover”

This can be nothing else than Nisan 14th that starts in the evening by removing all leavened in the house and cleaning the place. They had the whole day(evening and next day) to do so. The remaining of the leavened bread could be eaten that day(Nisan 14th), but not on the evening of Nisan 15th and for 7 days afterwards. The lamb was killed close to the end of the preparation day, between the evenings(noon and 5pm).

John’s gospel was written much later than the first 3 gospels. He most likely had read the 3 gospels accounts. We see that John wrote his account by often not repeating what was said previsously and providing additional information that the first 3 gospels didn’t provide. Also, these additional details or his way of expression at time clarifies some things that we don't get from the 3 other gospels. So, I will treat John's account with this in mind. I won't treat his account as him differing from the other 3 gospels, but I believe his account is in harmony with the 3 others while providing different information of the events to bring a deeper or clearer understanding.

AV Jn 13:1 “Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end. 2 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's [son], to betray him;

John said that supper was “before the feast of the Passover”. Then again in v.29, John mentions that before Judas left the supper, some disciples thought Jesus instructed Judas to go buy things for the (Passover) feast. So again, it is clear that this was not the Passover meal for it didn’t had come yet and they were still in the preparation day when they ate that last supper.(Evening of Nisan 14th).

They ate Leavened Bread during the Last Supper

Another point that I haven’t mentioned before, is that the 4 gospels(Mt 26:26; Mk 14:22; Lk 22:19; Jn 13:18) and Paul (1Co 10:16,17; 1Co 11:23,26-28) all refers to the bread of that meal as (leavened) bread. By default the Greek word artos means leavened bread. It's root word is airo that means "to lift up". If the bread is unleavened, then the word azumos(unleavened) needs to be used in conjunction with artos(bread).

If that meal was the 1st meal of unleavened bread as Rosangela thinks, then at least in one account we would of found the word azumos(unleavened) next to artos, for that’s was the main focus of such a meal in the evening of Nisan 15th.

In the evening of Nisan 14th(and also during the day), leavened bread could be eaten as in any other days.

If you read the early church testimonies and accounts of when they kept the rememberance meal, they always used leavened bread. It was only after the 7th century that this understanding and practice got lost and replaced with unleavened bread.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 02/12/15 03:52 PM

Quote:
This can be nothing else than Nisan 14th that starts in the evening by removing all leavened in the house and cleaning the place.

No, this can be nothing else than the Nisan 14th that had started on the previous sunset, for it refers to the preparation of the Passover sacrifice.

Quote:
John said that supper was “before the feast of the Passover”.

John doesn't say that at all. You are reading into the text what is not there.

Quote:
Then again in v.29, John mentions that before Judas left the supper, some disciples thought Jesus instructed Judas to go buy things for the (Passover) feast.

Why would Jesus instruct Judas to buy things for the Passover feast at that time of the night if Nisan 14 was just beginning and he had the whole morning next day to buy things? Rather, the disciples thought Judas was going to buy the necessary things for the chagigah, which was offered on Nisan 15, just after the morning sacrifice.

Quote:
Another point that I haven’t mentioned before, is that the 4 gospels(Mt 26:26; Mk 14:22; Lk 22:19; Jn 13:18) and Paul (1Co 10:16,17; 1Co 11:23,26-28) all refers to the bread of that meal as (leavened) bread.

?????

Mark 14:12 And on the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they sacrificed the Passover lamb, his disciples said to him, "Where will you have us go and prepare for you to eat the Passover?"

So they ate leavened bread after the first day of Unleavened Bread had arrived? Your argument is a very strange one. Not to mention that you hold that in the sentence "then came the day of Unleavened Bread" the verb "came" doesn't mean "came" at all, for it refers to a day that would come several hours later, at sunset. Pay attention to this: "On the first day of Unleavened Bread ... his disciples said to him, 'Where will you have us go and prepare for you to eat the Passover?'". ON the first day of Unleavened Bread the disciples asked Jesus where they should prepare the Passover meal. It isn't referring to the following day, but to the day in course, which would end at sunset.

Quote:
By default the Greek word artos means leavened bread.

No, it doesn't. It means "bread" in a generic sense. In 1 Samuel 21:6, for instance: "So the priest gave him the holy bread, for there was no bread there but the bread of the Presence, which is removed from before the LORD, to be replaced by hot bread on the day it is taken away." Here, referring to the bread of the Presence (which is unleavened bread) the LXX uses arton thermon, "hot bread;" there is no need to use azumon.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 02/12/15 04:02 PM

Mark 14:12 is very clear. Two words are used: the verb thuo (to sacrifice, kill, slay) and the word pascha (Passover, Passover lamb). "To kill the Passover" - the chagigah would never be referred to in this way.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 02/12/15 04:26 PM

Quote:
To make things even messier is the Chagigah (peace offering) was also referred as Passover, or day of unleavened bread, or Pentecost, or Feast of Tabernacle, or just generally as "festival offering" which is the literal meaning of chagigah. So, it all depends on the context also for the usage of the peace offering.

Could you cite the passages which confirm this?

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 02/12/15 07:51 PM

"To kill the Passover"
Just a hunch, but would Elle say Jesus ate lamb and/or was lamb part of their passover meal that night?

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 02/13/15 01:32 AM

"To kill the Passover"
Just a hunch, but would Elle say Jesus ate lamb and/or was lamb part of their passover meal that night?

No I did not say they ate a lamb. The text doesn't mention what exactly they ate besides leavened bread(artos) and wine. If it was the meal of Nisan 15th, we would of seen one account mentioning they ate unleavened bread. Not one account gave that description because it was NOT the evening of Nisan 15th meal. The lamb or the unleavened bread was not mentioned in that last supper meal. The passover is mentioned in reference to identified the day, but not that it was in the last supper meal they partook the evening of Nisan 14th.

I said that since the expression “ the day of unleavened bread” is generic and can both mean the evening of Nisan 14th or the evening of Nisan 15th; we needed to look at the context of these expression that would clarify what exactly they meant. Below is what I said in the other post :
Let’s look at the context Luke, Mark, and Matthew used in their expression :

AV Lk 22:7 “ Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed. 8 And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat.

AV Mk 14:12 . “And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?

AV Mt 26:17 . “ Now the first [day] of the [feast of] unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?

Context says :
A) Two accounts say it was the day “when the passover must be killed”.
B) All three accounts relates to this day as a day “to prepare to eat the passover”

This can be nothing else than Nisan 14th that starts in the evening by removing all leavened in the house and cleaning the place. They had the whole day(evening and next day) to do so. The remaining of the leavened bread could be eaten that day(Nisan 14th), but not on the evening of Nisan 15th and for 7 days afterwards.

By the context they(Mark Luke and Matthew) clearly meant -- Nisan 14th that started in the evening. In context the text say it was the day(Nisan 14th) when the Passover was killed, however they only stayed together the evening of Nisan 14th because Jesus was taken to court that night and was killed later on that day on Nisan 14th. But before Jesus was taken to court, that evening(of Nisan 14th) they ate a meal.

The peace offerings were brought at all feasts and were festive meals that were called Chagigah which literally means "Festival offering". Traditionally there were two Passover chagigahs which they called the first Chagigah(eaten evening of Nisan 14th), and the second Chagigah(eaten evening of Nisan 15th). The chagigah was normally an animal coming from the bovine family, but it could have been also a goat or a lamb.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 02/13/15 01:38 AM

Mark 14:12 is very clear. Two words are used: the verb thuo (to sacrifice, kill, slay) and the word pascha (Passover, Passover lamb). "To kill the Passover" - the chagigah would never be referred to in this way.

"To kill the Passover" was a reference of what day it was "the first day of unleavened bread". It was on Nisan 14th. Read my reply to kland above post #171790.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 02/13/15 04:42 AM

Quote:
Traditionally there were two Passover chagigahs which they called the first Chagigah(eaten evening of Nisan 14th), and the second Chagigah(eaten evening of Nisan 15th).

There was no chagigah in the evening of Nisan 14. What some say is that there was a chagigah eaten in the afternoon of Nisan 14 (before the Passover supper). The arguments you are using are not properly substantiated.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 02/13/15 06:58 AM

Originally Posted By: elle
This can be nothing else than Nisan 14th that starts in the evening by removing all leavened in the house and cleaning the place.

No, this can be nothing else than the Nisan 14th that had started on the previous sunset, for it refers to the preparation of the Passover sacrifice.

John said that supper was “before the feast of the Passover”.

John doesn't say that at all. You are reading into the text what is not there.

AV Jn 13:1 . Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end. 2. And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's [son], to betray him; …4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself…..

Then again in v.29, John mentions that before Judas left the supper, some disciples thought Jesus instructed Judas to go buy things for the (Passover) feast.

Why would Jesus instruct Judas to buy things for the Passover feast at that time of the night if Nisan 14 was just beginning and he had the whole morning next day to buy things? Rather, the disciples thought Judas was going to buy the necessary things for the chagigah, which was offered on Nisan 15, just after the morning sacrifice.

AV Jn 13:29 For some [of them] thought, because Judas had the bag, that Jesus had said unto him, Buy [those things] that we have need of against the feast; or, that he should give something to the poor.

Not unusual at all. I’m sure there was lots of "shopping" happening the evening of Nisan 14th to prepare for the next evening(Nisan 15th) meal just like it is here in America, the night of Dec 23th-24th the stores are open very late so people can buy all their last minutes preparation to be ready the night of Dec 24th-25th.

Most people had come from far away, and had to find a place and buy the stuff necessary to prepare for the Passover meal that was taken on the next evening. Basically, for most of them coming from another town, they had 24hrs to do the real preparation. Many people got there a couple days earlier to do the cleansing ritual, but the preparation for the Passover mostly started in the evening of Nisan 14th. Jesus and the disciples also came from out of town, so they did what others did starting the evening of Nisan 14th by finding a place and getting everything ready for it.

It is with your application of verse 29 that makes no sense at all. Your view is saying they were eating the Nisan 15th meal (Thursday evening) which was considered as a ceremonial Sabbath and all day Friday also, and then the next day(Nisan 16th) was Saturday which was another Sabbath day. Two days being Sabbaths in a row and there’s no way Jesus would of instructed Judas to go buy things for the feast if they were already eating it and having two Sabbath days coming ahead.
Another point that I haven’t mentioned before, is that the 4 gospels(Mt 26:26; Mk 14:22; Lk 22:19; Jn 13:18) and Paul (1Co 10:16,17; 1Co 11:23,26-28) all refers to the bread of that meal as (leavened) bread.

?????

Mark 14:12 And on the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they sacrificed the Passover lamb, his disciples said to him, "Where will you have us go and prepare for you to eat the Passover?"

The reference to the Passover sacrifice was to qualify to answer the question "what day was "the first day of unleavenened bread""?. Was it evening of Nisan 14th or evening of Nisan 15th? Could be both. So the added "on which the passover was to be sacrificed" was to give a clear understanding which day they were referencing. Nisan 14th is the only answer on which they sacrifice the lamb on the end of the day of Nisan 14th.

So they ate leavened bread after the first day of Unleavened Bread had arrived? Your argument is a very strange one.

On the evening of Nisan 14th and on the following day of Nisan 14th, it was allowed to eat leavened bread. It was on the evening of Nisan 15th that it was not allowed and for 7 days after that.

Not to mention that you hold that in the sentence "then came the day of Unleavened Bread" the verb "came" doesn't mean "came" at all, for it refers to a day that would come several hours later, at sunset.

Yeah the evening of Nisan 14th came which was “the first day of unleavened bread”(generic term that also meant Passover Season) -- the day they needed to prepared for the Passover and kill the lamb which can be no other day than Nisan 14th where those activities happened.
“Pay attention to this: "On the first day of Unleavened Bread ... his disciples said to him, 'Where will you have us go and prepare for you to eat the Passover?'". ON the first day of Unleavened Bread the disciples asked Jesus where they should prepare the Passover meal. It isn't referring to the following day, but to the day in course, which would end at sunset.

The day to prepare for the Passover meal is Nisan 14th starting in the evening. See comment above.

By default the Greek word artos means leavened bread.

No, it doesn't. It means "bread" in a generic sense. In 1 Samuel 21:6, for instance: "So the priest gave him the holy bread, for there was no bread there but the bread of the Presence, which is removed from before the LORD, to be replaced by hot bread on the day it is taken away." Here, referring to the bread of the Presence (which is unleavened bread) the LXX uses arton thermon, "hot bread;" there is no need to use azumon.

Strong defines Artos as "bread (as raised) or a loaf." It comes from the root word airo that means "to lift up". By the basic definition of the the word, it means a leavened (lifted, full of air, raised) bread.

Whereas the Hebrew word for bread is lechem that means "food" and can be anything -- not only for bread. It’s root word is lacham that means "to feed on".

So we see there’s a difference between the basic definition of bread in Greek Artos(lifted, raised bread) from the Hebrew word lechem for bread that means "food" in a very general sense that can be just anything that you "feed on" like a lamb, or grapes, etc...

I did a mistake in the other post, I thought they used artos with azumos to say unleavened bread. They don't they only use azumos in the NT for unleavenened [bread]. Never once, the word azumos is used to described the bread in the last supper in all 4 gospels accounts and by Paul. Not once. If that meal was the Passover meal like you believe, then we would of had at least ONE account saying the bread was unleavened. There was none in all 6 accounts (Mt 26:26; Mk 14:22; Lk 22:19; Jn 13:18; 1Co 10:16,17; 1Co 11:23,26-28).

To consider the bread at the last supper to be leavened was new to me also. So I had to look up the Hebrew word shewbread. Interesting findings :

a) Shewbread in Hebrew is the same word used for ordinary bread or "food" -- is lechem. Nothing special there.

b) However the description of shewbread in Lev 24 uses the word
challah for "cakes".
AV Lv 24:5 And thou shalt take fine flour, and bake twelve cakes(challah) thereof: two tenth deals shall be in one cake.(challah)

The Hebrew word challah means "a cake (as usually punctured)". It's root word is chalal meaning "properly, to bore, i.e. (by implication) to wound, to dissolve; figuratively, to profane (a person, place or thing), to break (one's word), to begin (as if by an "opening wedge");"

c)I did not see any texts in scriptures that the shewbread was unleavened.

d)All the meat offering bread was to be burned along the sacrifices. The Lord said very specifically "No meat offering, which ye shall bring unto the LORD, shall be made with leaven: for ye shall burn no leaven, nor any honey, in any offering of the LORD made by fire.(Lev 2:11, see also Ex 23:18; Lev 6:17; 10:12). The meat offering was usually flour, bread, or cakes and it was forbiden to be offered with leavened.

e)Their was an exception to this rule of sacrifice burned on the altar without leaven and it was with the two loaves of leavened bread at Pentecost.
AV Lv 23:17 Ye shall bring out of your habitations two wave loaves of two tenth deals: they shall be of fine flour; they shall be baken with leaven; [they are] the firstfruits unto the LORD. ;
This bread represented US and that’s why it is with leaven but needs to be cooked in the fire before it can be an acceptable sacrifice to the Lord.

f) Here’s another exception with the peace offering (Chagigah) AV Lv 7:13 Besides the cakes, he shall offer [for] his offering leavened bread with the sacrifice of thanksgiving of his peace offerings. I’m unsure if this is a burned offering, but as with the Pentecost bread, this peace offering (Chagigah) bread represents us.

g)However the shewbread was not burned, or a meal offering to be burned with a sacrifice. It was to be set on the table for a week and then after eaten by the priests. The meal offering bread offered with the sin offering needed to be eaten also by the priests, however the Bible says whatever they didn’t eat needed was to be burned up with the sin offering. For the shewbread, I could not see any instruction that the 12 loaves of cakes that was set on the table was to be burned if not all eaten. So to my understanding the whole 12 loaves needed to be all eaten up.

h) I didn’t see anywhere in the Bible that said the shewbread was to be unleavened, whereas, very careful instruction is given for the meal offering bread that needed to be unleavened.

Concerning the symbolic representation of the bread of the last supper, that bread represented His body that was broken for us. We all know that Jesus came in a sinful corrupt body like postfall Adam, despite He did not sin. To represent His body as an unleavened bread could imply that He came with a perfect uncorrupt body which would contradict the heart of the gospel message. So I don’t see any problem with the symbolism of the last supper meal with some leavened bread representing the body of Jesus coming as a corrupt man that was “punctured” like the 12 cakes(challah) of shewbread yet he sacrificed Himself for us. All other Chagigah meals taken (evening of Nisan 14th, Pentecost, Feast of Tabernacles) ….all were partaken with leavened bread (Lev 7:13). It was only the Chagigah of Nisan 15th that unleavened bread was mandatory.

Another symbolism related to the body of Christ is we are His body. The shewbread was 12 “punctured” cakes that represent the 12 tribes of Israel and also the 12 disciples. We all partake of His suffering (we too get punctured) and we together make one bread. To me it is consistent symbolism between Jesus body coming as a corrupt sinful man as Adam that came to show US the way. And US who are HIS BODY, we too came from Adam with a corrupt body that got “punctured” too while following His way.

AV 1C 10:17 For we [being] many are one bread, [and] one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 02/16/15 04:14 AM

Quote:
AV Jn 13:1 . Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end. 2. And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's [son], to betray him; …4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself…..”

Verse 1 and verse 2 are independent. Before the feast of the Passover Jesus realized that His hour had come to leave this world and return to the Father. This is all the text says, as all translators admit. It doesn't say at all that the supper of v. 2 occurred before the feast of the Passover.

John 13:1 Now before the Passover Festival, Jesus realized that his hour had come to leave this world and return to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end.
John 13:2 By supper time, the devil had already put it into the heart of Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray him (ISV).

Quote:
Most people had come from far away, and had to find a place and buy the stuff necessary to prepare for the Passover meal that was taken on the next evening. Basically, for most of them coming from another town, they had 24hrs to do the real preparation. Many people got there a couple days earlier to do the cleansing ritual, but the preparation for the Passover mostly started in the evening of Nisan 14th. Jesus and the disciples also came from out of town, so they did what others did starting the evening of Nisan 14th by finding a place and getting everything ready for it.

Not true at all. Jesus was in Jerusalem since the previous Sunday (His triumphal entry). They had been in Jerusalem for four days.

Quote:
It is with your application of verse 29 that makes no sense at all. Your view is saying they were eating the Nisan 15th meal (Thursday evening) which was considered as a ceremonial Sabbath and all day Friday also, and then the next day(Nisan 16th) was Saturday which was another Sabbath day. Two days being Sabbaths in a row and there’s no way Jesus would of instructed Judas to go buy things for the feast if they were already eating it and having two Sabbath days coming ahead.

It wouldn't make much sense to buy things at night either on Nisan 14 or on Nisan 15, but 1) the term "feast" can refer to any day of the feast, and 2) it would make much more sense to go out at that hour to buy an animal that had to be sacrificed next day in the morning than to buy an animal that had to be sacrificed next day in the afternoon.

Quote:
"what day was "the first day of unleavenened bread""?. Was it evening of Nisan 14th or evening of Nisan 15th? Could be both.

Would you say on Friday morning that the Sabbath has arrived? That you are on the Sabbath? Of course this argument doesn't make any sense at all.

Quote:
I did a mistake in the other post, I thought they used artos with azumos to say unleavened bread. They don't they only use azumos in the NT for unleavenened [bread]. Never once, the word azumos is used to described the bread in the last supper in all 4 gospels accounts and by Paul. Not once. If that meal was the Passover meal like you believe, then we would of had at least ONE account saying the bread was unleavened. There was none in all 6 accounts (Mt 26:26; Mk 14:22; Lk 22:19; Jn 13:18; 1Co 10:16,17; 1Co 11:23,26-28).

Of course not. It wasn't necessary to repeat that it was unleavened bread, once it was "the first day of unleavened bread".

Quote:
c)I did not see any texts in scriptures that the shewbread was unleavened.

This bread consisted of twelve loaves made of the finest flour. They were flat and thin. They were arranged in two piles of six loaves each, with each loaf piled on top of another. Not feasible with leavened bread. Josephus confirms that it was unleavened bread.

Quote:
Concerning the symbolic representation of the bread of the last supper, that bread represented His body that was broken for us. We all know that Jesus came in a sinful corrupt body like postfall Adam, despite He did not sin. To represent His body as an unleavened bread could imply that He came with a perfect uncorrupt body which would contradict the heart of the gospel message.

There was a whole week of unleavened bread. What was God trying to teach to the people of Israel?

Re: Does Pentecost always fall on a Sunday? - 02/27/15 05:57 PM

"To kill the Passover" was a reference of what day it was "the first day of unleavened bread". It was on Nisan 14th. Read my reply to kland above post #171790.

Passover, prepare the Passover, means exactly one thing. Saying "Kill the Passover" emphasizes that fact. Jesus and the disciples ate lamb as part of the Passover meal. Otherwise, it wouldn't be.

Whether they killed and ate The Passover early, I do not know. But "kill the Passover" cannot mean don't eat unleavened bread. How can "kill" not mean to take a direct action to end the life of the lamb?
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church