The 'Time of Trouble', how long?

Posted By: Rick H

The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/07/15 11:55 AM

I was checking some facts on some sites and came across this ...'Following the close of probation will be a "time of trouble," a brief but intense period of time immediately preceding the second coming of Jesus Christ. Adventists have traditionally believed that the Roman Catholic Church will return to prominence during the end times, fulfilling the prophecy of the first beast of Revelation 13'.... but the graph they gave showed it as centuries instead of a short time.
Seventh-day Adventist eschatology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In my thinking its a very short time in terms of weeks or months, in which the righteous are sealed and the Holy Spirit is withdrawn and the wicked no longer drawn from sin, then Christ comes....
Posted By: dedication

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/08/15 06:10 AM

I think that whoever wrote that Wikipedia article, mixed up two different understandings of Revelation 13.

Adventists generally believe the 42 months noted in Rev. 13, were the 1260 years of Roman Catholic rule prior to the wound, and ended in 1798.
Once the wound heals it will be a short (undefined) time.

Many Christians believe the 42 months are literal and that they relate to the last day tribulation. Of course telling someone with that belief that they are 1260 years would be confusing.
Posted By: ProdigalOne

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/09/15 08:42 PM

Wikipedia should not be relied upon as a definitive source of information.
There are too many biased contributors with their hands in the cookie jar.
Posted By: Alchemy

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/12/15 01:34 PM

Then the Catholics bid the Protestants to go forward, and issue a decree that all who will not observe the first day of the week, instead of the seventh day, shall be slain. And the Catholics, whose numbers are large, will stand by the Protestants. The Catholics will give their power to the image of the beast. And the Protestants will work as their mother worked before them to destroy the saints. But before their decree bring or bear fruit, the saints will be delivered by the Voice of God. Then I saw that Jesus’ work in the sanctuary will soon be finished. And after His work there is finished, He will come to the door of the first apartment, and confess the sins of Israel upon the head of the Scape Goat. Then He will put on the garments of vengeance. Then the plagues will come upon the wicked, and they do not come till Jesus puts on that garment, and takes His place upon the great white cloud. Then while the plagues are falling, the Scape Goat is being led away. He makes a mighty struggle to escape, but he is held fast by the hand that leads him. If he should effect his escape, Israel would lose their lives. I saw that it would take time to lead away the Scape Goat into the land of forgetfulness after the sins were put on his head. {SpM 2.1} (bold emphasis mine)

About four months since, I had a vision of events, all in the future. And I saw the time of trouble, such as never was,—Jesus told me it was the time of Jacob’s trouble, and that we should be delivered out of it by the voice of God. Just before we entered it, we all received the seal of the living God. Then I saw the four Angels cease to hold the four winds. And I saw famine, pestilence and sword, nation rose against nation, and the whole world was in confusion. Then we cried to God for deliverance day and night till we began to hear the bells on Jesus’ garment. And I saw Jesus rise up in the Holiest, and as he came out we heard the tinkling of bells, and knew our High Priest was coming out. Then we heard the voice of God which shook the heavens and earth, and gave the 144,000 the day and hour of Jesus’ coming. Then the saints were free, united and full of the glory of God, for he had turned their captivity. And I saw a flaming cloud come where Jesus stood and he laid off his priestly garment and put on his kingly robe, took his place on the cloud which carried him to the east where it first appeared to the saints on earth, a small black cloud, which was the sign of the Son of Man. While the cloud was passing from the Holiest to the east which took a number of days, the Synagogue of Satan worshiped at the saints feet. {DS March 14, 1846, par. 2}

We know this much time will pass during Jacob's Time of Trouble and during the seven last plagues.

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/12/15 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Alchemy
Then the Catholics bid the Protestants to go forward, and issue a decree that all who will not observe the first day of the week, instead of the seventh day, shall be slain. And the Catholics, whose numbers are large, will stand by the Protestants. The Catholics will give their power to the image of the beast. And the Protestants will work as their mother worked before them to destroy the saints. But before their decree bring or bear fruit, the saints will be delivered by the Voice of God. Then I saw that Jesus’ work in the sanctuary will soon be finished. And after His work there is finished, He will come to the door of the first apartment, and confess the sins of Israel upon the head of the Scape Goat. Then He will put on the garments of vengeance. Then the plagues will come upon the wicked, and they do not come till Jesus puts on that garment, and takes His place upon the great white cloud. Then while the plagues are falling, the Scape Goat is being led away. He makes a mighty struggle to escape, but he is held fast by the hand that leads him. If he should effect his escape, Israel would lose their lives. I saw that it would take time to lead away the Scape Goat into the land of forgetfulness after the sins were put on his head. {SpM 2.1} (bold emphasis mine)

About four months since, I had a vision of events, all in the future. And I saw the time of trouble, such as never was,—Jesus told me it was the time of Jacob’s trouble, and that we should be delivered out of it by the voice of God. Just before we entered it, we all received the seal of the living God. Then I saw the four Angels cease to hold the four winds. And I saw famine, pestilence and sword, nation rose against nation, and the whole world was in confusion. Then we cried to God for deliverance day and night till we began to hear the bells on Jesus’ garment. And I saw Jesus rise up in the Holiest, and as he came out we heard the tinkling of bells, and knew our High Priest was coming out. Then we heard the voice of God which shook the heavens and earth, and gave the 144,000 the day and hour of Jesus’ coming. Then the saints were free, united and full of the glory of God, for he had turned their captivity. And I saw a flaming cloud come where Jesus stood and he laid off his priestly garment and put on his kingly robe, took his place on the cloud which carried him to the east where it first appeared to the saints on earth, a small black cloud, which was the sign of the Son of Man. While the cloud was passing from the Holiest to the east which took a number of days, the Synagogue of Satan worshiped at the saints feet. {DS March 14, 1846, par. 2}

We know this much time will pass during Jacob's Time of Trouble and during the seven last plagues.

I have always felt it would take much like the time during the plagues of Egypt, more of a matter of weeks/months. But many Adventist oppose that view, I don't know why. Anyone have SOP that may shed more light?

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/12/15 02:05 PM

Rick H wrote;

"I have always felt it would take much like the time during the plagues of Egypt, more of a matter of weeks/months. But many Adventist oppose that view, I don't know why. Anyone have SOP that may shed more light?"

Intersting point! I had never thought of that idea. And there were ten plagues in Egypt! But, we know none of these seven last plagues are shared by God's people.

As far as why SDA's reject your idea? I don't have idea why. I just never thought about it. But, I will pray about it now.

So far as I know now, Sister White doesn't give any definite times. Just like the two statements I shared, she uses terms like "take time" or "number of days".
Posted By: kland

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/13/15 02:09 AM

Could there be two applications of the 1260? Such as 40 years for 40 days?

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/14/15 02:36 PM

Rick H wrote;

"I have always felt it would take much like the time during the plagues of Egypt, more of a matter of weeks/months. But many Adventist oppose that view, I don't know why. Anyone have SOP that may shed more light?"

Intersting point! I had never thought of that idea. And there were ten plagues in Egypt! But, we know none of these seven last plagues are shared by God's people.

As far as why SDA's reject your idea? I don't have idea why. I just never thought about it. But, I will pray about it now.

So far as I know now, Sister White doesn't give any definite times. Just like the two statements I shared, she uses terms like "take time" or "number of days".

Like the children of Israel, we wont be hit with the plagues as long as we stay under the protection of the Lord. But I see no need for the plagues to go on for more than a few days or weeks, to say nothing of months or years...

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/15/15 11:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Rick H
Rick H wrote;

Like the children of Israel, we wont be hit with the plagues as long as we stay under the protection of the Lord. But I see no need for the plagues to go on for more than a few days or weeks, to say nothing of months or years...

I think you make an interesting point!

Satan is bound. The ten horns need to burn the harlot. There really isn't a lot left to take place at that point and events are supposed to be rapid ones.

I still think it could take some months at most. Really just a feeling more than anything.

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/15/15 11:51 AM

Would Revelation 18 be applicable to the duration of the Time of Trouble?
If the day/year principle fits here, the seven last plagues should last for one year.

"Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong [is] the Lord God who judgeth her." Revelation 18:8

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/17/15 01:57 AM

Is Rev 18 talking about the same "plagues"?

But as far as lasting the whole 1260 days, does it indicate that? Comparing Dan 12 with Rev, I see it as a progressive time until Babylon's cup is full.

Then contrast that with the 1260 years where the power becomes less and less towards 1798.

Da 12:7 Then I heard the man clothed in linen, who was above the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand to heaven, and swore by Him who lives forever, that it shall be for a time, times, and half a time; and when the power of the holy people has been completely shattered, all these things shall be finished.

"Completely shattered" doesn't seem to reflect the years leading up to 1798.

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/17/15 05:07 AM

The context of Revelation 18 seems to be the final plagues.

"And the voice of harpers, and musicians, and of pipers, and trumpeters, shall be heard no more at all in thee; and no craftsman, of whatsoever craft [he be], shall be found any more in thee; and the sound of a millstone shall be heard no more at all in thee". Verse 22
Posted By: James Peterson

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/17/15 06:10 AM

Originally Posted By: kland
Is Rev 18 talking about the same "plagues"?

But as far as lasting the whole 1260 days, does it indicate that? Comparing Dan 12 with Rev, I see it as a progressive time until Babylon's cup is full.

Then contrast that with the 1260 years where the power becomes less and less towards 1798.

Da 12:7 Then I heard the man clothed in linen, who was above the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand to heaven, and swore by Him who lives forever, that it shall be for a time, times, and half a time; and when the power of the holy people has been completely shattered, all these things shall be finished.

"Completely shattered" doesn't seem to reflect the years leading up to 1798.

Rather ...
  • "the holy people" = the Jews (Dan. 9:24a)
  • "when the power of the holy people has been completely shattered" = 70AD (Dan. 9:27b)
The Bible interprets itself. (2 Peter 1:20-21)

///

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/17/15 12:02 PM

I was thinking about the time aspect and I believe God reminded me about Revelation 18 where the "angel" says "in one day" as opposed to "those who stand afar off" saying "in one hour".

One day would represent one year within which all these last events would be fulfilled. The synagogue of Satan worshipping at the saints feet among some other events. I wouldn't expect these last events to take one year.

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/17/15 12:34 PM

I was thinking about the "one hour" statements as well. Perhaps, it means the plagues will last about 15 days? Only, God knows for certain.

Whatever the true timeframe, it will be a period of incredible horror; hopefully, The Lord's mercy will cause the last plagues to pass swiftly.

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/18/15 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: ProdigalOne
The context of Revelation 18 seems to be the final plagues.

"And the voice of harpers, and musicians, and of pipers, and trumpeters, shall be heard no more at all in thee; and no craftsman, of whatsoever craft [he be], shall be found any more in thee; and the sound of a millstone shall be heard no more at all in thee". Verse 22

But isn't this the end-game, the fall of Babylon, after all the plagues?

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/18/15 02:32 PM

I am no expert, but doesn't the seventh plague occur just before Christ's return?

In chapter 15, Seven Angels with the seven Plagues are given seven golden vials of God's wrath:

Revelation 15:6-8
"And the seven angels came out of the temple, having the seven plagues, clothed in pure and white linen, and having their breasts girded with golden girdles.
And one of the four beasts gave unto the seven angels seven golden vials full of the wrath of God, who liveth for ever and ever.
And the temple was filled with smoke from the glory of God, and from his power; and no man was able to enter into the temple, till the seven plagues of the seven angels were fulfilled."

The seventh vial/plague appears to be the final one before Christ returns:

Revelation 16:17-21
"And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.
And there were voices, and thunders, and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, [and] so great.
And the great city was divided into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell: and great Babylon came in remembrance before God, to give unto her the cup of the wine of the fierceness of his wrath.
And every island fled away, and the mountains were not found.
And there fell upon men a great hail out of heaven, [every stone] about the weight of a talent: and men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail; for the plague thereof was exceeding great."

Chapter 18 begins with an Angel repeating part of the Three Angel's Message:

Revelation 18:1-2
"And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory.
And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird."

Another voice warns of the coming Plagues and the "one day" period is mentioned:

Revelation 18:4-8
And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her PLAGUES.
For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.
Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double.
How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow.
Therefore shall her PLAGUES come in ONE DAY, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong [is] the Lord God who judgeth her.

The kings of the earth mention the "one hour" period:

Revelation 18:9-10
"And the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication and lived deliciously with her, shall bewail her, and lament for her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning,
Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in ONE HOUR is thy judgment come."

One prophetic day = one literal year.

One prophetic hour = fifteen literal days: 365 divided by 24 = 15.2

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/19/15 01:38 AM

Yes, for the most part. But different ordering I see.

Rev 18:4-8:
Come out of her - Plagues can't start until "all" sealed, so there's still time to repent.
Plagues come in one day - Could indicate a year.

Compare 18:9-10 with 16:17-21 - city divided, nations fell. Could be a different fall than in 18:1-2 where Babylon doctrine is presented for what it is.

And I don't see the 7th plague as when Christ comes, but before He comes. What you said, but a qualifier. Ellen White says the remnant left at the end will be told the time He will come, at the Voice of God.

At the 7th plague, the one hours come.

Notice there are two different ones.
Re 17:12 "The ten horns which you saw are ten kings who have received no kingdom as yet, but they receive authority for one hour as kings with the beast.

Kings are reigning, not falling.

Re 18:10 "standing at a distance for fear of her torment, saying, 'Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! For in one hour your judgment has come.'

Re 18:17 For in one hour so great riches is come to nought. And every shipmaster, and all the company in ships, and sailors, and as many as trade by sea, stood afar off,
Re 18:19 And they cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, Alas, alas, that great city, wherein were made rich all that had ships in the sea by reason of her costliness! for in one hour is she made desolate.

This hour is the falling.

So I see it, bad things happen, kings stray further and pass laws, the plagues come, and all throughout the plagues, things are setting up.
Re 16:14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.

After they pass the death decree to put a final end to God's people, the ones they are blaming for all the plagues. They make merry and give gifts to one another, but before it goes into effect (15 days), God's people are delivered at the 7th plague by the Voice of God, and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done. That's when everyone sees the writing of fire in the sky. At that point, the city of Babylon falls. Utter chaos, more than during the plagues, utter hopelessness, for this is when the people attack their pastors for lying to them.

This is brief, but assuming you are familiar with some of the things I mentioned. To me, this fits in line. When you look at the rest of 18, it seems to be talking about the fall of Babylon, at the end of the seven plagues (during the 7th) rather than the seven plagues being of one hour. Plagues of a day contrasted with the "plagues" of the hour.

Some speculate that for the decree to go into effect, there must be legislation which often takes effect in July, so they backtrack and say such-and-such. But I say the kings can pass any laws most any time. This is worldwide, an emergency measure, not a routine U.S. legislation, and the U.S. may have been dissolved into something else at that point.

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/20/15 04:18 PM

I haven't studied these particular prophesies in great detail, but what you say sounds right. It would allow the Three Frogs some time to do their work.

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/26/15 04:00 PM

Yes, for the most part. But different ordering I see.

Rev 18:4-8:
Come out of her - Plagues can't start until "all" sealed, so there's still time to repent.
Plagues come in one day - Could indicate a year.

Compare 18:9-10 with 16:17-21 - city divided, nations fell. Could be a different fall than in 18:1-2 where Babylon doctrine is presented for what it is.

And I don't see the 7th plague as when Christ comes, but before He comes. What you said, but a qualifier. Ellen White says the remnant left at the end will be told the time He will come, at the Voice of God.

At the 7th plague, the one hours come.

Notice there are two different ones.
Re 17:12 "The ten horns which you saw are ten kings who have received no kingdom as yet, but they receive authority for one hour as kings with the beast.

Kings are reigning, not falling.

Re 18:10 "standing at a distance for fear of her torment, saying, 'Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! For in one hour your judgment has come.'

Re 18:17 For in one hour so great riches is come to nought. And every shipmaster, and all the company in ships, and sailors, and as many as trade by sea, stood afar off,
Re 18:19 And they cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, Alas, alas, that great city, wherein were made rich all that had ships in the sea by reason of her costliness! for in one hour is she made desolate.

This hour is the falling.

So I see it, bad things happen, kings stray further and pass laws, the plagues come, and all throughout the plagues, things are setting up.
Re 16:14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.

After they pass the death decree to put a final end to God's people, the ones they are blaming for all the plagues. They make merry and give gifts to one another, but before it goes into effect (15 days), God's people are delivered at the 7th plague by the Voice of God, and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done. That's when everyone sees the writing of fire in the sky. At that point, the city of Babylon falls. Utter chaos, more than during the plagues, utter hopelessness, for this is when the people attack their pastors for lying to them.

This is brief, but assuming you are familiar with some of the things I mentioned. To me, this fits in line. When you look at the rest of 18, it seems to be talking about the fall of Babylon, at the end of the seven plagues (during the 7th) rather than the seven plagues being of one hour. Plagues of a day contrasted with the "plagues" of the hour.

Some speculate that for the decree to go into effect, there must be legislation which often takes effect in July, so they backtrack and say such-and-such. But I say the kings can pass any laws most any time. This is worldwide, an emergency measure, not a routine U.S. legislation, and the U.S. may have been dissolved into something else at that point.
I think once the plaques come, the Second Coming will be very obvious and the whole world will know it.

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/27/15 12:23 AM

If the plagues last a year, do you think the world will understand what is happening that whole time?

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/27/15 09:25 AM

Personally, once the plagues start to fall, I believe there is a year or less left in earth's history as we know it.

Revelation 18:8; Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong is the Lord God who judgeth her. (KJV)

This isn't the only verse, but, this is what I believe. Babylon has fallen and God's people are delivered from Satan's power as the angel with the chain is binding him to the earth. (Rev. 20:1-3)

Revelation 18:10; Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come. (KJV)

This one hour is from the perspective of those who benefitted from Babylon. I believe this "one hour" could be 15 literal days. Referring to Daniel 11:45, Satan claims this earth as his own! Babylon is set up the way he wants it and he denies Christ the right to return.

Why?!? Because in Proverbs 10:30, the Bible teaches that never will this earth be inhabited by 100% wicked human beings. Never. With Job God makes the point that He only needs one faithful follower to claim this earth as His.

Satan now claims that he has eliminated all of God's people and obliterated the knowledge of the One, True God from off the earth. (Ellen White term) That is why in SpM 2.1, when the Fit Man grabs hold of the scapegoat, if Christ loses His grasp Satan will destroy all of Israel. But, God is true to His promises and delivers His people at this time.

The ten horns or kings of Revelation 17 burn the whore and the plagues start falling. I believe this can all happen in 15 literal days.

But, God also says He will have 144,000 sealed to His kingdom. They will be delivered from Satan at this time and preserved until the Second Coming of Christ.

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/27/15 09:27 AM

If the plagues last a year, do you think the world will understand what is happening that whole time?

The synagogue of Satan will worship at the saints feet. So, some people will realize what is happening. But, most will not. Just like in the days of Noah, most will be marrying and given in marriage and so on....

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/27/15 08:20 PM

Doesn't Ellen White write about the plagues happening first and then the people turning on their pastors and each other?

Re: The 'Time of Trouble', how long? - 11/28/15 04:32 PM

Doesn't Ellen White write about the plagues happening first and then the people turning on their pastors and each other?

Yes. I don't remember though if it is before or after the plagues start to fall. Do you think this will make up most of the people? Remember, we are talking world-wide at this point in history.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church