The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation

Posted By: Rick H

The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 12/11/16 03:50 PM

We came across the question of the 144,000 and the Great Multitude which No One Could Number. It cause some issues as we struggled with it as the Adventist view is not clearly laid out and Ellen White held back for reasons which will become clear.

We have the following views in Adventism:

1. That these two groups of people are one and the same. However, I find some problems with this:

Issues with this view.
A. The 144,000 is specifically named from the 12 tribes of Israel (Revelation 7:4) however, the Great Multitude comes from All Nations (Revelation 7:9)

B. The Great Multitude Could Not be Numbered (Revelation 7:9), however, 144,000 is a Numbered People (Revelation 7:4)

C. The 144,000 is specifically said to be those that "washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb",(Revelation 7:14), "Virgins", and "were redeemed from among men, being first fruits to God and to the Lamb" (Revelation 14).

2. That the 144,000 are just symbolic

The issue with this is fairly straightforward.
A. Why give a specific number if its symbolic.

B. Why separate them from the Great Multitude which No One Could Number, why not just leave it at that.

3. That the 144,000 are those that are living and the 'first fruits' raised up to meet Him when Christ comes, and the resurrected are raised up to join them in the air and both taken to heaven.

I like this answer the best and don't see any issues with it, but want everyone's thoughts and input.

Here is Revelation 7 King James Version (KJV) on the issue.

1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.
4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.
5 Of the tribe of Juda were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Reuben were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Gad were sealed twelve thousand.
6 Of the tribe of Aser were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Nephthalim were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Manasses were sealed twelve thousand.
7 Of the tribe of Simeon were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Levi were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Issachar were sealed twelve thousand.
8 Of the tribe of Zabulon were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Joseph were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Benjamin were sealed twelve thousand.
9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;
10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.
11 And all the angels stood round about the throne, and about the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God,
12 Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.
13 And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they?
14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

And here is Revelation 14 King James Version (KJV):

1 And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads.
2 And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps:
3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.
4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.
5 And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 12/11/16 03:58 PM

Here is the Biblical Research Institute with the view that they are one and the same:

"Ellen White affirms that the 144,000 are those that are alive at Jesus' Second Coming. They have been sealed and went through the great tribulation. Thus, Ellen White seems to confirm that the 144,000 and the great multitude are the same group. She also calls them "saints" which remind us of Rev 13 and 14. According to her the song of Moses and the song of the Lamb mentioned in Rev 15:3-4 are the song of the 144,000. This is the new song of Rev 14:3, which, however, is not recorded in that chapter. The characteristics of the 144,000 found in Rev are also attributed to them by Ellen White."

https://www.adventistbiblicalresearch.org/sites/default/files/pdf/144%2C000greatmultitude.pdf

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 12/11/16 04:00 PM

Here is the Adventist Review with the view that they are symbolic:

"The number 144,000 is a symbolic number that refers to the totality of God’s people living through the great tribulations and deceptions of the end-time. They come out victorious over the end-time challenges orchestrated by the antitrinity described in Revelation 12 and 13—the dragon that mimics God the Father, the antichrist, and the counterfeit Holy Spirit."

http://archives.adventistreview.org/article/2914/archives/issue-2009-1530/just-144-000-really

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 12/11/16 04:05 PM

Now here is the viewpoint on the 144,000 as literal by Doug Batchelor on Amazing Facts:

"Now let's address the next big question. Is 144,000 a literal number? Well, perhaps I should answer that question with another question. Are the other numbers in Revelation literal? Will there be 12 gates and 12 foundations in the holy city? Are there really 12 different kinds of fruit on the tree of life? Yes, of course. Our understanding of the dimensions of the New Jerusalem is likewise based upon the assumption that these numbers are real.

Even the numbers used to describe prophetic time periods in the book of Revelation are precise measures. The numbers would be useless for reckoning if they were merely symbolic.

Although the number of the 144,000 may be exact, it will be humanly impossible to identify the individuals who make up this special group. When Jesus walked the earth, it was easy to determine His 12 most devoted followers. But the 144,000 in the last days are spiritual Jews, scattered across the circle of the earth and leading out in a magnificent revival.

Now some may be thinking, "How can you say that the names are symbolic but the number is literal?" It's simple. Jesus did. He did not seem to care which tribes the 12 apostles came from, but He did purposely choose 12 of them. Also remember that all of the numbers in Revelation depict a specific value, while all the proper names in Revelation are symbols (the Lamb, the Dragon, the Lion, Balaam, Jezebel, etc.).

For these reasons and others, I believe the number 144,000 is a precise figure. Just as there were actually 12 literal tribes in the Old Testament and exactly 12 apostles in the New Testament, there will be 12 times 12,000 spiritual apostles in the last days."

http://www.amazingfacts.org/news-and-features/inside-report/magazine/id/10751/t/who-are-the-144-000

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 12/11/16 04:07 PM

Now here is the Ellen White Estate on what SOP gives us:

"Counsel Regarding the Question of the 144,000

Here is Ellen G. White's basic statement on the 144,000 of Revelation 7 and 14:

Upon the crystal sea before the throne, that sea of glass as it were mingled with fire,--so resplendent is it with the glory of God,--are gathered the company that have "gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name." With the Lamb upon Mount Zion, "having the harps of God," they stand, the hundred and forty and four thousand that were redeemed from among men; and there is heard, as the sound of many waters, and as the sound of a great thunder, "the voice of harpers harping with their harps." And they sing "a new song" before the throne, a song which no man can learn save the hundred and forty and four thousand. It is the song of Moses and the Lamb--a song of deliverance. None but the hundred and forty-four thousand can learn that song; for it is the song of their experience--an experience such as no other company have ever had. "These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever He goeth." These, having been translated from the earth, from among the living, are counted as "the first fruits unto God and to the Lamb." Revelation 15:2, 3; 14:1-5. "These are they which came out of great tribulation;" they have passed through the time of trouble such as never was since there was a nation; they have endured the anguish of the time of Jacob's trouble; they have stood without an intercessor through the final outpouring of God's judgments. But they have been delivered, for they have "washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb." "In their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault" before God. "Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple: and He that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them." They have seen the earth wasted with famine and pestilence, the sun having power to scorch men with great heat, and they themselves have endured suffering, hunger, and thirst. But "they shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat. For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes." Revelation 7:14-17. (The Great Controversy, pp. 648, 649)

A Non-Essential Question

"Christ says that there will be those in the church who will present fables and suppositions, when God has given grand, elevating, ennobling truth, which should ever be kept in the treasure-house of the mind. When men pick up this theory and that theory, when they are curious to know something it is not necessary for them to know, God is not leading them. It is not His plan that His people shall present something which they have to suppose, which is not taught in the Word. It is not His will that they shall get into controversy over questions which will not help them spiritually, such as who is to compose the hundred and forty-four thousand. This those who are the elect of God will in a short time know without question.

"My brethren and sisters, appreciate and study the truths God has given for you and your children. Spend not your time in seeking to know that which will be no spiritual help. 'What shall I do to inherit eternal life?' This is the all-important question, and it has been clearly answered. 'What is written in the law? How readest thou?'"--Selected Messages, book 1, pp. 174, 175.

Strive to Be Among the 144,000

"Let us strive with all the power that God has given us to be among the hundred and forty-four thousand. And let us do all that we can to help others to gain heaven."--Review and Herald, March 9, 1905.

Mrs. White and the 144,000

"The Lord has given me a view of other worlds. Wings were given me, and an angel attended me from the city to a place that was bright and glorious. The grass of the place was living green, and the birds there warbled a sweet song. The inhabitants of the place were of all sizes; they were noble, majestic, and lovely. They bore the express image of Jesus, and their countenances beamed with holy joy, expressive of the freedom and happiness of the place. . . . I begged of my attending angel to let me remain in that place. I could not bear the thought of coming back to this dark world again. Then the angel said, 'You must go back, and if you are faithful, you, with* the 144,000, shall have the privilege of visiting all the worlds and viewing the handiwork of God.'"--Early Writings, pp. 39, 40.

*Note: Observe that the promise was given to Mrs. White that if she was faithful, she with the 144,000 would have certain privileges.

Mrs. Hastings to Be With the 144,000

"I saw that she [Mrs. Hastings, who had just died] was sealed and would come up at the voice of God and stand upon the earth, and would be with the 144,000. I saw we need not mourn for her; she would rest in the time of trouble."--Letter 10, 1850 (2SM 263).

Silence is Eloquence

[The following letter from C. C. Crisler, leading secretary in Mrs. White's office, addressed to Elder E. E. Andross, president of the Pacific Union Conference, was called forth by a request from him to Sister White for any light she might have bearing on the teachings of Dr. B. E. Fullmer of Los Angeles, that the 144,000 will be made up of Americans only, none from other lands.]

"Elmshaven, Sanitarium, California

December 8, 1914

Elder E. E. Andross
Box 146
Glendale, California

Dear Brother Andross:

During the few minutes remaining of the noon hour before close of mails, after receiving your special delivery letter of inquiry, I sent you a hurried reply to your communication, promising further word by wire. Tonight I am sending [you] the following telegraphic letter:

"'Mrs. White instructs me to inform you she has no light further than that the presentation of uncertainties as certainties, and the urging of mysteries as revealed truths, is perilous and leads to disappointment. She suggests building on Holy Scriptures, the true foundation, rather than on personal conjecture.--C. C. Crisler.'

"When reading the letter to Sister White, and listening to her remarks in response, I had with me as a witness Elder D. E. Robinson.

"'I have no light on the subject,' she said, upon hearing the letter. 'It is a very delicate time in which we are living--a time when we must individually cling to the Lord with all the powers of our being.' She said further:

"'Those who urge theories regarding matters that are not revealed, are placing themselves where they are in peril of meeting with disappointments. "Hide yourself in God; hide your mysteries in God"--these words have been repeated during the night season, over and over again. From the fist, I have been instructed that the Lord Jesus can give counsel that will not bring disappointment.

"'Please tell my brethren that I have nothing presented before me regarding the circumstances concerning which they write, and I can set before them only that which has been presented to me.

"'There are those who attempt to deal with uncertainties as certainties; and when they reach this position, they are where it is possible for the enemy to use them.

"'In the past, light has been given me repeatedly that when a crisis arises, we are to take the counsel of God, and trace interestedly every item that presents the truth in its verity.

"'The greatest help will come when we see the influence of the teachings of the Holy Scriptures. Their influence is to lead us to stand on an exalted basis, where we will build our faith and the faith of others, not on this one's say-so, and that one's say-so, and another one's say-so, but on the real foundation, the Word of the living God.'

"I have tried to write out from my notes the words spoken by Sister White after listening to your letter and to portions of the letter written by me, also to my hastily written reply to you. By no word or sign did Sister White attempt to say which party is right and which party is wrong. In no wise did she make any comment on my letter to you, and, so far as we could understand, in no wise did she attempt to interpret or explain that which she has written in former years regarding the 144,000. But, rising above mere detail, she outlined the principles set forth above.

"I have nothing to add to that which I wrote at noon. Yes, there is one comment Sister White did make when I was reading to her my letter. She expressed pleasure over the fact that I had included in my letter to you the words, 'On the matter of the exact meaning of the 144,000 Sister White was repeatedly instructed us that "silence is eloquence."'

"She also commented favorably upon hearing the words with which I closed: 'So far as I now know, no one knows the full truth of the matter, nor will we know until we are on the other side of Jordan.'

"I feel confident, Elder Andross, that the brethren in Southern California will find blessing in reviewing the teachings of Scripture concerning the 144,000, and bringing to bear upon these teachings whatever light there may be in the published writings of Sister White. And as prayerful consideration is given the matter in all its bearings, I believe that God will make the truth sufficiently clear to make possible the avoidance of needless and unprofitable controversy over questions not vital to the salvation of precious souls.

"With kindest regards, and praying that God may given breadth of sympathy was well as clarity of vision to those called upon to handle this perplexing problem that has arisen, I am as ever,

"Yours truly,

C. C. Crisler"

Ellen G. White Estate
December 21, 1964
Revised September, 1990"

http://www.whiteestate.org/issues/144000.html
Posted By: glenm

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 12/12/16 01:40 AM

A couple of points.

1. The SOP says that the 144,000 are "singled out", and such a designation would lose its meaning if applied to all the redeemed. Here is the quote:

Quote:
Why were they [the 144,000] so specially singled out? Because they had to stand with a wonderful truth right before the whole world, and receive their opposition, and while receiving this opposition they were to remember that they were sons and daughters of God, that they must have Christ formed within them the hope of glory. They were ever keeping in view the great and blessed hope that is before them. What is it? It is an eternal weight of glory. Nothing could surpass it. {1SAT 72.3}

The original of this quote can be found in Ms13-1888, available online.

2. The SOP uses the phrase "the living saints, 144,000 in number" approximately a dozen times.

3. We know from what happened at Pentecost that a literal number of 144,000 is sufficient to do a particular work, given that they're under the power of the latter rain. I find the following quote interesting in this regard:

Quote:
You are getting the coming of the Lord too far off. I saw the latter rain was coming as [suddenly as] the midnight cry, and with ten times the power. {SpM 4.3}

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 12/12/16 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: glenm
A couple of points.

1. The SOP says that the 144,000 are "singled out", and such a designation would lose its meaning if applied to all the redeemed. Here is the quote:

Quote:
Why were they [the 144,000] so specially singled out? Because they had to stand with a wonderful truth right before the whole world, and receive their opposition, and while receiving this opposition they were to remember that they were sons and daughters of God, that they must have Christ formed within them the hope of glory. They were ever keeping in view the great and blessed hope that is before them. What is it? It is an eternal weight of glory. Nothing could surpass it. {1SAT 72.3}

The original of this quote can be found in Ms13-1888, available online.

2. The SOP uses the phrase "the living saints, 144,000 in number" approximately a dozen times.

3. We know from what happened at Pentecost that a literal number of 144,000 is sufficient to do a particular work, given that they're under the power of the latter rain. I find the following quote interesting in this regard:

Quote:
You are getting the coming of the Lord too far off. I saw the latter rain was coming as [suddenly as] the midnight cry, and with ten times the power. {SpM 4.3}

I would agree that they are 'singled out' as they will have to stand directly against the 'opposition' which will be extreme as most of the redeemed will not survive the time such as never was, like all the Christians killed at the stake and through the page Roman Empire and Papal Rome, many will not survive it.

Secondly its clear from SOP that they are the 'living saints' but there may be a vast majority who are laid to rest at this time so are not living when Christ comes. The very elect would be wiped out or deceived if not for the days being "shortened".

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 12/12/16 02:48 PM

We also read the following in Revelation:

7:14 "Washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb"
So its Christians that are perfect, purified and cleansed, with the robe of Christ's righteousness.

14:3 "were redeemed from the earth"
Christians that are saved and redeemed by Jesus Christ

14:4 "they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins"

Christians that are not committing fornication by worshipping the false doctrine of the beast or the harlot.

14:4 "they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth"

Christians that are disciples or followers of Jesus.

14:5 "in their mouth was found no guile"
Christians that are transparent and truthful, with no hint of deceit.

14:5 "they are without fault before the throne of God." Christians that are without fault or perfect, because they have put on the robe of Christ's Righteousness.

14:12 "they that keep the commandments of God"
Christians that are keeping the commandments, so this must also include the Sabbath.

14:12 They keep "the faith of Jesus"
Christians that are following in faith, in the example given by Christ.

Now Adventist tend to use Revelation 12:17,
"And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ."

So they say these have to have Ellen Whites writings, but I would disagree.

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 12/13/16 02:39 PM

So lets go over the 144,000, their relationship to us as Seventh-Day Adventists, and how we may become a part of this great company.

Revelation 7King James Version (KJV)

7 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,

3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.

4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.

So we have the following here in Revelation 7:
A. Four symbolic winds are being held by four angels
B. An angel comes from the east with the seal of God
C. The winds cannot be let loose until the 144,000 are sealed
D . The 144,000 are a very special company

So what do the four winds symbolize?

"The time is coming when we cannot sell at any price. The decree will soon go forth prohibiting men to buy or sell of any man save him that hath the mark of the beast. We came near having this realized in California a short time since; but this was only the threatening of the blowing of the four winds. As yet they are held by the four angels. We are not just ready. There is a work yet to be done, and then the angels will be bidden to let go, that the four winds may blow upon the earth. That will be a decisive time for God's children, a time of trouble such as never was since there was a nation. Now is our opportunity to work. "5T 152:2

Here we are told that the symbolic winds represent the “time of trouble such as never was” (Dan. 12:1) -- the “mark of the beast” decree or the “Sunday-Blue Laws.”
Thus, the 144,000 have to be sealed before the mark of the beast. Since the “mark of the beast decree is just ahead of us, this indicates that the 144,000 are being sealed today

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 12/14/16 05:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Rick H
Since the "mark of the beast" decree is just ahead of us, this indicates that the 144,000 are being sealed today.

There are a couple of SOP quotes that I often come back to, that describe what is necessary to receive the seal described in Revelation 7:1-4.

Quote:
Now, while our great High Priest is making the atonement for us, we should seek to become perfect in Christ. Not even by a thought could our Saviour be brought to yield to the power of temptation. Satan finds in human hearts some point where he can gain a foothold; some sinful desire is cherished, by means of which his temptations assert their power. But Christ declared of Himself: "The prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in Me." John 14:30. Satan could find nothing in the Son of God that would enable him to gain the victory. He had kept His Father's commandments, and there was no sin in Him that Satan could use to his advantage. This is the condition in which those must be found who shall stand in the time of trouble. {GC 623.1}

Quote:
I also saw that many do not realize what they must be in order to live in the sight of the Lord without a high priest in the sanctuary through the time of trouble. Those who receive the seal of the living God and are protected in the time of trouble must reflect the image of Jesus fully. {EW 71.1}

Quote:
What are you doing, brethren, in the great work of preparation? Those who are uniting with the world are receiving the worldly mold and preparing for the mark of the beast. Those who are distrustful of self, who are humbling themselves before God and purifying their souls by obeying the truth these are receiving the heavenly mold and preparing for the seal of God in their foreheads. When the decree goes forth and the stamp is impressed, their character will remain pure and spotless for eternity. {5T 216.1}

Now is the time to prepare. The seal of God will never be placed upon the forehead of an impure man or woman. It will never be placed upon the forehead of the ambitious, world-loving man or woman. It will never be placed upon the forehead of men or women of false tongues or deceitful hearts. All who receive the seal must be without spot before God -- candidates for heaven. Go forward, my brethren and sisters. I can only write briefly upon these points at this time, merely calling your attention to the necessity of preparation. Search the Scriptures for yourselves, that you may understand the fearful solemnity of the present hour. {5T 216.2}

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 12/16/16 02:42 PM

Since the "mark of the beast" decree is just ahead of us, this indicates that the 144,000 are being sealed today.

There are a couple of SOP quotes that I often come back to, that describe what is necessary to receive the seal described in Revelation 7:1-4.

Quote:
Now, while our great High Priest is making the atonement for us, we should seek to become perfect in Christ. Not even by a thought could our Saviour be brought to yield to the power of temptation. Satan finds in human hearts some point where he can gain a foothold; some sinful desire is cherished, by means of which his temptations assert their power. But Christ declared of Himself: "The prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in Me." John 14:30. Satan could find nothing in the Son of God that would enable him to gain the victory. He had kept His Father's commandments, and there was no sin in Him that Satan could use to his advantage. This is the condition in which those must be found who shall stand in the time of trouble. {GC 623.1}

Quote:
I also saw that many do not realize what they must be in order to live in the sight of the Lord without a high priest in the sanctuary through the time of trouble. Those who receive the seal of the living God and are protected in the time of trouble must reflect the image of Jesus fully. {EW 71.1}

Quote:
What are you doing, brethren, in the great work of preparation? Those who are uniting with the world are receiving the worldly mold and preparing for the mark of the beast. Those who are distrustful of self, who are humbling themselves before God and purifying their souls by obeying the truth these are receiving the heavenly mold and preparing for the seal of God in their foreheads. When the decree goes forth and the stamp is impressed, their character will remain pure and spotless for eternity. {5T 216.1}

Now is the time to prepare. The seal of God will never be placed upon the forehead of an impure man or woman. It will never be placed upon the forehead of the ambitious, world-loving man or woman. It will never be placed upon the forehead of men or women of false tongues or deceitful hearts. All who receive the seal must be without spot before God -- candidates for heaven. Go forward, my brethren and sisters. I can only write briefly upon these points at this time, merely calling your attention to the necessity of preparation. Search the Scriptures for yourselves, that you may understand the fearful solemnity of the present hour. {5T 216.2}

We have to compare the characteristics of the Remnant and the 144,000 when it comes to being defiled by the "wine" of Babylon or false doctrine and those "not defiled with women; for they are virgins", which is basically women/church's so are not defiled with the wrong doctrines of corrupt church's.

Revelation 14:4

These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.

'...The "wine" of Babylon represents her heretical teachings. Babylon will pressure the powers of state to enforce universally her false religious teachings and decrees.

The "fornication" mentioned represents the illicit relationship between Babylon and the nations—between the apostate church and civil powers. The church is supposed to be married to her Lord; in seeking instead the support of the state, she leaves her spouse and commits spiritual fornication (cf. Eze. 16:15; James 4:4).

This illicit relationship results in tragedy. John sees the inhabitants of the earth "drunk" with false teachings, and Babylon herself "drunk with the blood of the saints and the blood of the martyrs of Jesus," who refuse to accept her unscriptural doctrines and submit to her authority (Rev. 17:2, 6).'...http://www.sdanet.org/atissue/books/27/27-12.htm

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 12/17/16 04:01 PM

So it seems clear that the 'remnant' and the '144,000' are distinct and yet not the same. The remnant can be those who believe in the Sabbath and Commandments and the end time prophet, and yet not be among the living or 'first fruits' when Christ comes.

So something has to happen to bring all those in Sunday Keeping church's into the Adventist church, as the identifying sign of the remnant church is their loyalty to God’s commandments including the fourth, the Sabbath commandment .

Revelation 12:17

"And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ."

So from Revelation 12:17: At the end of time God will have a remnant church which will be recognized by the fact that they keep the commandments, including the seventh-day Sabbath commandment and have the testimony of Jesus.

So lets look at the second identifying mark “the testimony of Jesus.” It occurs six times in the book of Revelation (1:2, 9; 12:17; 19:10 [twice]; 20:4).

First, we look at Revelation 1:
Revelation 1:2

"Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw."

In verse 2 we read that John bore witness to “the Word of God” and “the testimony of Jesus.”
We commonly understand “the Word of God” to refer to what God says and “the testimony of Jesus,” in parallel to “the Word of God,” and means the testimony that Jesus Himself gives.

How did Jesus testify of Himself? He told them directly when He was earth. After His ascension, He spoke through His prophets.

We read in Revelation 1:9:

"I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ."

“The Word of God” in John’s time referred to the Old Testament, and the “testimony of Jesus” referred to what Jesus had said, the truths He revealed as recorded in the Gospels and through His prophets, like Peter and Paul.

In Revelation 19:10 we read:

"And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."

So we have a explanation, ‘For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy’

in 1 Corinthians 12:8–10, where Paul refers to the Holy Spirit, who gives the gift of prophecy, and the person who receives this gift is called a “prophet” (1 Cor. 12:28; Eph. 4:11).

So those who are the 'remnant' can be those who keep the Sabbath and Commandments and believe in the SOP. But the 144,000 are sealed.

Revelation 7(KJV):

"4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel."

And they are not defiled, and had no guile and are the 'firstfruits' and without fault before the throne of God, and have the Fathers name on their foreheads.

Revelation 14King James Version (KJV)

1 And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads.2 And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps:3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.5 And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.

So it looks like a much more distinctive group of saints.

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 12/17/16 11:58 PM

So it seems clear that the 'remnant' and the '144,000' are distinct and yet not the same.

Another way that we can distinguish the 144,000 from others is by considering the work that they do within the church.

For example, we know that Elijah was a type of the 144,000 (PK 227.2), and he was deeply involved in a work of reform in Israel, culminating in the showdown on Carmel (1 Kings 18).

The SOP mentions the 144,000 in connection with "the closing work for the church", and it appears from the quote below that their straight testimony to the church is part of the refining process that occurs in the lead-up to their sealing.

We certainly know that such refining was part of Elijah's experience, for example the huge letdown he suffered after the victory over the Baal priests (1 Kings 19).

Quote:
The true people of God, who have the spirit of the work of the Lord and the salvation of souls at heart, will ever view sin in its real, sinful character. They will always be on the side of faithful and plain dealing with sins which easily beset the people of God. Especially in the closing work for the church, in the sealing time of the one hundred and forty-four thousand who are to stand without fault before the throne of God, will they feel most deeply the wrongs of God's professed people. This is forcibly set forth by the prophet's illustration of the last work under the figure of the men each having a slaughter weapon in his hand. One man among them was clothed with linen, with a writer's inkhorn by his side. "And the Lord said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof." {3T 266.2}

Who are standing in the counsel of God at this time? Is it those who virtually excuse wrongs among the professed people of God and who murmur in their hearts, if not openly, against those who would reprove sin? Is it those who take their stand against them and sympathize with those who commit wrong? No, indeed! Unless they repent, and leave the work of Satan in oppressing those who have the burden of the work and in holding up the hands of sinners in Zion, they will never receive the mark of God's sealing approval. They will fall in the general destruction of the wicked, represented by the work of the five men bearing slaughter weapons. Mark this point with care: Those who receive the pure mark of truth, wrought in them by the power of the Holy Ghost, represented by a mark by the man in linen, are those "that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done" in the church. Their love for purity and the honor and glory of God is such, and they have so clear a view of the exceeding sinfulness of sin, that they are represented as being in agony, even sighing and crying. Read the ninth chapter of Ezekiel. {3T 267.1}
Posted By: James Peterson

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/06/17 04:46 AM

So it seems clear that the 'remnant' and the '144,000' are distinct and yet not the same.

Another way that we can distinguish the 144,000 from others is by considering the work that they do within the church.

For example, we know that Elijah was a type of the 144,000 (PK 227.2), and he was deeply involved in a work of reform in Israel, culminating in the showdown on Carmel (1 Kings 18).

The SOP mentions the 144,000 in connection with "the closing work for the church", and it appears from the quote below that their straight testimony to the church is part of the refining process that occurs in the lead-up to their sealing.

We certainly know that such refining was part of Elijah's experience, for example the huge letdown he suffered after the victory over the Baal priests (1 Kings 19).

Quote:
The true people of God, who have the spirit of the work of the Lord and the salvation of souls at heart, will ever view sin in its real, sinful character. They will always be on the side of faithful and plain dealing with sins which easily beset the people of God. Especially in the closing work for the church, in the sealing time of the one hundred and forty-four thousand who are to stand without fault before the throne of God, will they feel most deeply the wrongs of God's professed people. This is forcibly set forth by the prophet's illustration of the last work under the figure of the men each having a slaughter weapon in his hand. One man among them was clothed with linen, with a writer's inkhorn by his side. "And the Lord said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof." {3T 266.2}

Who are standing in the counsel of God at this time? Is it those who virtually excuse wrongs among the professed people of God and who murmur in their hearts, if not openly, against those who would reprove sin? Is it those who take their stand against them and sympathize with those who commit wrong? No, indeed! Unless they repent, and leave the work of Satan in oppressing those who have the burden of the work and in holding up the hands of sinners in Zion, they will never receive the mark of God's sealing approval. They will fall in the general destruction of the wicked, represented by the work of the five men bearing slaughter weapons. Mark this point with care: Those who receive the pure mark of truth, wrought in them by the power of the Holy Ghost, represented by a mark by the man in linen, are those "that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done" in the church. Their love for purity and the honor and glory of God is such, and they have so clear a view of the exceeding sinfulness of sin, that they are represented as being in agony, even sighing and crying. Read the ninth chapter of Ezekiel. {3T 267.1}

Why are you openly contradicting the patently obvious? The spirit of prophecy says that the 144,000 are Israelis; and then a great multitude of every nation, ethnicity and language (including them).

Rev. 7:4 -- "And I heard the number of those who were sealed. One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed ..."

Rev. 7:9 -- " After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands ..."

If you take the time to read the Bible for yourself, you won't end up believing nonsense.

///

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/06/17 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: James Peterson

Quote:

Why are you openly contradicting the patently obvious? The spirit of prophecy says that the 144,000 are Israelis; and then a great multitude of every nation, ethnicity and language (including them).

Rev. 7:4 -- "And I heard the number of those who were sealed. One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed ..."

Rev. 7:9 -- " After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands ..."

If you take the time to read the Bible for yourself, you won't end up believing nonsense.

///

We have the following in SOP Counsels for the Church, Page 240:

“God has a church upon the earth who are His chosen people, who keep His commandments. He is leading, not stray offshoots, not one here and one there, but a people. The truth is a sanctifying power; but the church militant is not the church triumphant. There are tares among the wheat. “Wilt thou then that we ... gather them up?” was the question of the servant; but the master answered, “Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.” The gospel net draws not only good fish, but bad ones as well, and the Lord only knows who are His. CCh 240.1”

In the Great Controversy page 623, Ellen White has some very specific descriptions of those who stand at the end while Christ still intercedes in the Most Holy Place:

“Now, while our great High Priest is making the atonement for us, we should seek to become perfect in Christ. Not even by a thought could our Saviour be brought to yield to the power of temptation. Satan finds in human hearts some point where he can gain a foothold; some sinful desire is cherished, by means of which his temptations assert their power. But Christ declared of Himself: "The prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in Me." John 14:30. Satan could find nothing in the Son of God that would enable him to gain the victory. He had kept His Father's commandments, and there was no sin in Him that Satan could use to his advantage. This is the condition in which those must be found who shall stand in the time of trouble. “{GC 623.1}

So we have a church who are not all Gods people, composed of two groups, the true followers of God and others whose hearts and minds are not cleansed and ready for Christ, this is the church militant. So the church itself must go through a shaking in which those on the side of Satan will be taken out, the tares will be separated from the wheat, and the people who are His, prepared to be the church triumphant.

We find in John 6:27 it tells us:

“Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.” John 6:27

We also find in 2 Corinthians 1:21-23 (KJV)

“21 Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God;22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts”

So the saints throughout the ages have been sealed, and we to need to be sealed, SOP tells us in Testimonies for the Church, vol. 5, Page 216 :

“Now is the time to prepare. The seal of God will never be placed upon the forehead of an impure man or woman. It will never be placed upon the forehead of the ambitious, world-loving man or woman. It will never be placed upon the forehead of men or women of false tongues or deceitful hearts. All who receive the seal must be without spot before God -- candidates for heaven..” {5T 216.2}

Lets look at Matthew 5:48 and read what it has to say:

“Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.” Matthew 5:48.

Now SOP in Early Writings, Page 71, makes clear, at the end, we will be without an intercessor: “I also saw that many do not realize what they must be in order to live in the sight of the Lord without a high priest in the sanctuary through the time of trouble. Those who receive the seal of the living God and are protected in the time of trouble must reflect the image of Jesus fully.” {EW 71.1} Its confirmed in the Great Controversy page 614, Ellen White states, “When He leaves the sanctuary, darkness covers the inhabitants of the earth. In that fearful time the righteous must live in the sight of a holy God without an intercessor.” (GC 614).

Hebrews describes the role of Jesus as our mediator in heaven. And yet from SOP, its clear there will be a time when there is no mediator at all, and in that time, “we must reflect the image of Jesus fully” SOP (7BC 977.11 ) says this represents the character of the people of God for these last days.

Now read John 16:25-27:

“25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.”

So a time will come when Jesus will not pray to the Father on our behalf, because we will know that “the Father himself loves us.” Now the statement from Ellen White that we are to “stand in the sight of a holy God without a mediator (GC 425) is clearer and rather than words that strikes fear into our hearts, it changes into a promise. As long as we need a mediator we will have one. But in John 16, Jesus promises us a time will come when we won’t have a mediator because we won’t need one for those that truly know and love Christ.

In Great Controversy page 614 we read, “When the third angel's message closes, mercy no longer pleads for the guilty inhabitants of the earth. The people of God have accomplished their work. They have received "the latter rain," "the refreshing from the presence of the Lord," and they are prepared for the trying hour before them. Angels are hastening to and fro in heaven. An angel returning from the earth announces that his work is done; the final test has been brought upon the world, and all who have proved themselves loyal to the divine precepts have received "the seal of the living God." Then Jesus ceases His intercession in the sanctuary above. He lifts His hands and with a loud voice says, "It is done;" and all the angelic host lay off their crowns as He makes the solemn announcement:”

Now Revelation 22:11:

“He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.” Revelation 22:11

We find in Testimonies for the Church, vol. 5, Page 216 :

“It is now that we must keep ourselves and our children unspotted from the world. It is now that we must wash our robes of character and make them white in the blood of the Lamb. It is now that we must overcome pride, passion, and spiritual slothfulness....What are you doing, brethren, in the great work of preparation?..Those who are distrustful of self, who are humbling themselves before God and purifying their souls by obeying the truth these are receiving the heavenly mold and preparing for the seal of God in their foreheads. When the decree goes forth and the stamp is impressed, their character will remain pure and spotless for eternity. {5T 216.1}

In Revelation 3:21 Christ makes a promise to the church of Laodicea. “To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne” (Revelation 3:21).

So these saints that live at the end during the time such as never was must not only overcome, but perfect and just like Job to go through a unimaginable trial, and be ready to stand pure and spotless without a mediator with their robes washed in the blood of the lamb to prove to the universe that fallen human beings can keep the law of God.

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/06/17 02:48 PM

Now as to the question if they are 'literal Jews'...

The 144,000 occurs only twice in Scripture—both times in the book of Revelation. We find it first between the sixth and the seventh seals here in Rev. 7:4, prior to the Second Coming. So lets turn to Revelation to see what it says: Lets begin in Revelation 7 verse 1:

“1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.”
Revelation 7:1-4

Some Christians assert that the text refers to Jews only so we first need to determine whether or not this 144,000 are actually 12,000 literal Israelites from their 12 respective tribes. Lets turn to Galatians 3:29 and read it:

“29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.” Galatians 3:29King James Version (KJV)

Next we read from Paul, the following of who is a true Jew in Romans 2:28-29:

“28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.” Romans 2:28-29 (KJV)

Next we read from James what shows that the Apostles viewed the tribes in a spiritual sense. “James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the 12 tribes which are scattered abroad, greetings” (James 1:1). The content of James’ letter is clearly addressed to Christians, and yet he plainly refers to them as spiritual Jews from 12 spiritual tribes. So its clear that it is referring to spiritual Israel regardless of whether they were Jew or Gentile by blood.

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/06/17 02:54 PM

Here is a great explanation...

"the Scripture lists 12,000 from each of the following 12 tribes: Judah, Reuben, Gad, Asher, Naphtali, Manasseh, Simeon, Levi, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph, and Benjamin.

The next main passage that describes the 144,000 is Revelation 14:1-5: "And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion [Mount Zion], and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads. And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps: And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth. These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb. And in their mouth was found no guile [deceit]: for they are without fault before the throne of God."

I should mention that when we explore these things, we venture on holy ground. I share the following study with confidence, but I also realize and respect that others may have a different interpretation.

The Twelve Tribes
Perhaps one of the first things we should ask is whether or not the 144,000 are actually 12,000 literal Israelites from each of these respective tribes. I don't want to be tedious, but to really understand this subject we should briefly review what the Bible says about the Old Testament tribes. First, there were actually 13 tribes. Twelve tribes came from the 12 sons of Jacob, who the Lord renamed Israel. But because Joseph was sold into slavery by his older brothers, he was separated from his family for many years. After Joseph finally reunited with his father, Jacob promised to compensate by adopting Joseph's two sons as his own, to be numbered with his sons in place of Joseph. "Now thy two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh, which were born unto thee in the land of Egypt before I came unto thee into Egypt, are mine; as Reuben and Simeon, they shall be mine." Genesis 48:5. Hence, Joseph would be numbered twice through his sons.

One reason you still find only 12 tribes mentioned throughout the Bible is that after the Levites were chosen to be the priests for Israel, they were excluded from receiving a specific territory inheritance (Deuteronomy 10:8, 9; 18:1) and from census figures (Numbers 1:49). Instead, they were to spread out among all the tribes as teachers and priests.

There are several reasons why the tribes mentioned in Revelation chapter 7 can't possibly be literal Israelite tribes. The Old Testament reveals that 10 of the 12 tribes were carried away by the Assyrians in 722 B.C. "In the ninth year of Hoshea, the king of Assyria took Samaria, and carried Israel away into Assyria, and placed them in Halah and in Habor by the river of Gozan, and in the cities of the Medes." 2 Kings 17:6.

History records that long before the time of Jesus, some of the 10 tribes returned to Samaria after intermarrying with the Assyrians. Their descendants, known as Samaritans, were hated by the Jews because they were no longer "pure" Israelites in blood or religion. In fact, because the 10 tribes have been so thoroughly scattered around the world and absorbed by their host nations, today a person would be hard pressed to find even one pure descendant from the tribe of Gad, Asher, Naphtali, Manasseh, or Simeon-much less 12,000 of them!

Another strong clue that Revelation is not speaking of the literal Israelite tribes is that in the Old Testament, the 12 tribes were very unequal in population numbers. Judah was very large, while Benjamin was very small. God divided the promised land in proportion to each tribe's needs. But the 144,000 is composed of 12,000 per tribe, right across the board.

So who does make up this group? I believe the answer to this question lies in the fact that God's promises to literal Israel now apply to spiritual Israel. Since the year A.D. 34, the prophecies and attention of Scripture have focused on the children of faith-either Jew or Gentile. "For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit." Romans 2:28, 29. "And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." Galatians 3:29"

http://www.amazingfacts.org/news-and-features/inside-report/magazine/id/10751/t/who-are-the-144-000

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/06/17 02:57 PM

Now lets look to see who they are...

lets go back to see the characteristics of the 144,000. We saw in Revelation 7 in verse 3 that they are sealed, “3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.”

In Revelation 14 verse 1, we find the same sealing:
“1 And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads.” Revelation 14 (KJV)
SOP tells us in Testimonies for the Church, vol. 3, Page 266: “The true people of God, who have the spirit of the work of the Lord and the salvation of souls at heart, will ever view sin in its real, sinful character. They will always be on the side of faithful and plain dealing with sins which easily beset the people of God. Especially in the closing work for the church, in the sealing time of the one hundred and forty-four thousand who are to stand without fault before the throne of God, will they feel most deeply the wrongs of God's professed people.." {3T 266.2}
So we see “in the closing work for the church, in the sealing time of the one hundred and forty-four thousand who are to stand without fault before the throne of God”.

So what description does scripture give, we find Revelation 14 verse 3 & 4:

“3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.
4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb..” Revelation 14:3-4 (KJV)
Their loyalty and dedication to God are signified by the images of verse 4. These believers are ‘virgins’—undefiled by the corruption Satan has out there. God’s end-time people are wholeheartedly dedicated to God as a bride to her bridegroom. In other words, they are faithful spouses, following the Lamb wherever He goes.
We also read in the SOP in Reflecting Christ, p. 226, the terrible battle they will fight:“ In vision I saw two armies in terrible conflict. One army was led by banners bearing the world's insignia; the other was led by the bloodstained banner of Prince Immanuel. Standard after standard was left to trail in the dust as company after company from the Lord's army joined the foe and tribe after tribe from the ranks of the enemy united with the commandment-keeping people of God. An angel flying in the midst of heaven put the standard of Immanuel into many hands, while a mighty general cried out with a loud voice: "Come into line. Let those who are loyal to the commandments of God and the testimony of Christ now take their position. Come out from among them, and be ye separate." The battle raged. Victory alternated from side to side. At last the victory was gained. The army following the banner with the inscription, "The commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus," was gloriously triumphant.... Satan will work his miracles to deceive; he will set up his power as supreme. The church may appear as about to fall, but it does not fall. It remains, while the sinners in Zion will be sifted out--the chaff separated from the precious wheat. This is a terrible ordeal, but nevertheless it must take place. None but those who have been overcoming by the blood of the Lamb and the word of their testimony will be found with the loyal and true, without spot or stain of sin, without guile in their mouths. We must be divested of our self-righteousness and arrayed in the righteousness of Christ.” This is the church triumphant, lets compare this to Revelation 14, verse 5:
“5 And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.” Revelation 14:5 (KJV)

SOP in the Great Controversy pages 648-649, tells us that they are those who are living at the end and have overcome:

“Upon the crystal sea before the throne, that sea of glass as it were mingled with fire,--so resplendent is it with the glory of God,--are gathered the company that have "gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name." With the Lamb upon Mount Zion, "having the harps of God," they stand, the hundred and forty and four thousand that were redeemed from among men; and there is heard, as the sound of many waters, and as the sound of a great thunder, "the voice of harpers harping with their harps." And they sing "a new song" before the throne, a song which no man can learn save the hundred and forty and four thousand. It is the song of Moses and the Lamb--a song of deliverance. None but the hundred and forty-four thousand can learn that song; for it is the song of their experience--an experience such as no other company have ever had. "These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever He goeth." These, having been translated from the earth, from among the living, are counted as "the first fruits unto God and to the Lamb." ….. they have stood without an intercessor through the final outpouring of God's judgments.
But they have been delivered, for they have "washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb." "In their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault" before God.

The answer is right there, they are those who survive and are living, not waiting in the grave to be resurrected when Christ comes....

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/06/17 09:16 PM

lets go back to see the characteristics of the 144,000. We saw in Revelation 7 in verse 3 that they are sealed, “3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.”

“1 And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads.” Revelation 14 (KJV)
SOP tells us in Testimonies for the Church, vol. 3, Page 266: “The true people of God, who have the spirit of the work of the Lord and the salvation of souls at heart, will ever view sin in its real, sinful character. They will always be on the side of faithful and plain dealing with sins which easily beset the people of God. Especially in the closing work for the church, in the sealing time of the one hundred and forty-four thousand who are to stand without fault before the throne of God, will they feel most deeply the wrongs of God's professed people.." {3T 266.2}
So we see “in the closing work for the church, in the sealing time of the one hundred and forty-four thousand who are to stand without fault before the throne of God”.

“3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.
4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb..” Revelation 14:3-4 (KJV)
Their loyalty and dedication to God are signified by the images of verse 4. These believers are ‘virgins’—undefiled by the corruption Satan has out there. God’s end-time people are wholeheartedly dedicated to God as a bride to her bridegroom. In other words, they are faithful spouses, following the Lamb wherever He goes.
We also read in the SOP in Reflecting Christ, p. 226, the terrible battle they will fight:“ In vision I saw two armies in terrible conflict. One army was led by banners bearing the world's insignia; the other was led by the bloodstained banner of Prince Immanuel. Standard after standard was left to trail in the dust as company after company from the Lord's army joined the foe and tribe after tribe from the ranks of the enemy united with the commandment-keeping people of God. An angel flying in the midst of heaven put the standard of Immanuel into many hands, while a mighty general cried out with a loud voice: "Come into line. Let those who are loyal to the commandments of God and the testimony of Christ now take their position. Come out from among them, and be ye separate." The battle raged. Victory alternated from side to side. At last the victory was gained. The army following the banner with the inscription, "The commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus," was gloriously triumphant.... Satan will work his miracles to deceive; he will set up his power as supreme. The church may appear as about to fall, but it does not fall. It remains, while the sinners in Zion will be sifted out--the chaff separated from the precious wheat. This is a terrible ordeal, but nevertheless it must take place. None but those who have been overcoming by the blood of the Lamb and the word of their testimony will be found with the loyal and true, without spot or stain of sin, without guile in their mouths. We must be divested of our self-righteousness and arrayed in the righteousness of Christ.” This is the church triumphant, lets compare this to Revelation 14, verse 5:
“5 And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.” Revelation 14:5 (KJV)

SOP in the Great Controversy pages 648-649, tells us that they are those who are living at the end and have overcome:

“Upon the crystal sea before the throne, that sea of glass as it were mingled with fire,--so resplendent is it with the glory of God,--are gathered the company that have "gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name." With the Lamb upon Mount Zion, "having the harps of God," they stand, the hundred and forty and four thousand that were redeemed from among men; and there is heard, as the sound of many waters, and as the sound of a great thunder, "the voice of harpers harping with their harps." And they sing "a new song" before the throne, a song which no man can learn save the hundred and forty and four thousand. It is the song of Moses and the Lamb--a song of deliverance. None but the hundred and forty-four thousand can learn that song; for it is the song of their experience--an experience such as no other company have ever had. "These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever He goeth." These, having been translated from the earth, from among the living, are counted as "the first fruits unto God and to the Lamb." ….. they have stood without an intercessor through the final outpouring of God's judgments.
But they have been delivered, for they have "washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb." "In their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault" before God.

The answer is right there, they are those who survive and are living, not waiting in the grave to be resurrected when Christ comes....

All the great many words you have written cannot negate the spirit of prophecy that:

1. Rev. 7:4 -- "And I heard the number of those who were sealed. One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed ..."

AND

2. Rev. 7:9 -- " After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands ..."

If only [#1] above were written, then we might interpret it any way we can; but [#2] constrains us. The TWO groups must therefore be Israelis first AND after, Gentiles too.

///
Posted By: APL

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/07/17 01:18 AM

The Gentiles have no part in God's covenant promises. In Christ is the yea. "For how many soever be the promises of God, in Him is the yea; wherefore also through Him is the Amen, unto the glory of God through us." 2 Corinthians 1:20. The Gentiles are those who are without Christ, and so they are "strangers from the covenants of promise." No Gentile has any part in any covenant of promise. But whosoever will may come to Christ, and may share in the promises; for Christ says, "Him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out." John 6:37 But when the Gentile does that, no matter what his nationality may be, he ceases to be a Gentile, and becomes a member of "the commonwealth of Israel."

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/07/17 05:08 AM

All the great many words you have written cannot negate the spirit of prophecy that:

1. Rev. 7:4 -- "And I heard the number of those who were sealed. One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed ..."

AND

2. Rev. 7:9 -- " After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands ..."

If only [#1] above were written, then we might interpret it any way we can; but [#2] constrains us. The TWO groups must therefore be Israelis first AND after, Gentiles too.

///

Here is a good explanation by Batchelor...."Perhaps one of the first things we should ask is whether or not the 144,000 are actually 12,000 literal Israelites from each of these respective tribes. I don't want to be tedious, but to really understand this subject we should briefly review what the Bible says about the Old Testament tribes. First, there were actually 13 tribes. Twelve tribes came from the 12 sons of Jacob, who the Lord renamed Israel. But because Joseph was sold into slavery by his older brothers, he was separated from his family for many years. After Joseph finally reunited with his father, Jacob promised to compensate by adopting Joseph's two sons as his own, to be numbered with his sons in place of Joseph. "Now thy two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh, which were born unto thee in the land of Egypt before I came unto thee into Egypt, are mine; as Reuben and Simeon, they shall be mine." Genesis 48:5. Hence, Joseph would be numbered twice through his sons.

One reason you still find only 12 tribes mentioned throughout the Bible is that after the Levites were chosen to be the priests for Israel, they were excluded from receiving a specific territory inheritance (Deuteronomy 10:8, 9; 18:1) and from census figures (Numbers 1:49). Instead, they were to spread out among all the tribes as teachers and priests.

There are several reasons why the tribes mentioned in Revelation chapter 7 can't possibly be literal Israelite tribes. The Old Testament reveals that 10 of the 12 tribes were carried away by the Assyrians in 722 B.C. "In the ninth year of Hoshea, the king of Assyria took Samaria, and carried Israel away into Assyria, and placed them in Halah and in Habor by the river of Gozan, and in the cities of the Medes." 2 Kings 17:6.

History records that long before the time of Jesus, some of the 10 tribes returned to Samaria after intermarrying with the Assyrians. Their descendants, known as Samaritans, were hated by the Jews because they were no longer "pure" Israelites in blood or religion. In fact, because the 10 tribes have been so thoroughly scattered around the world and absorbed by their host nations, today a person would be hard pressed to find even one pure descendant from the tribe of Gad, Asher, Naphtali, Manasseh, or Simeon-much less 12,000 of them!

Another strong clue that Revelation is not speaking of the literal Israelite tribes is that in the Old Testament, the 12 tribes were very unequal in population numbers. Judah was very large, while Benjamin was very small. God divided the promised land in proportion to each tribe's needs. But the 144,000 is composed of 12,000 per tribe, right across the board.

So who does make up this group? I believe the answer to this question lies in the fact that God's promises to literal Israel now apply to spiritual Israel. Since the year A.D. 34, the prophecies and attention of Scripture have focused on the children of faith-either Jew or Gentile. "For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit." Romans 2:28, 29. "And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." Galatians 3:29.

What's in a Name?
My first clue that there must be a spiritual meaning to the 144,000 was the way in which the tribes are listed in Revelation 7:5-8. This is the only time in Scripture that the names of the tribes appear in this order. Reuben, the firstborn of Jacob, is listed as second while Judah, fourth in birth order, is listed as first. Joseph and Levi are included, while Ephraim and Dan are left out. Why?

Because "Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder [viper] in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward" (Genesis 49:17), and "Ephraim is joined to idols: let him alone" (Hosea 4:17).

In the Bible, a serpent is a symbol of Satan. The critical, backbiting nature of Dan aligned this tribe with the kingdom of Satan instead of the kingdom of God. Likewise, the tribe of Ephraim had forsaken the God of Israel and had embraced paganism. Hence, Ephraim and Dan are left out of the 144,000.

Jewish names always had a meaning that depicted some characteristic of the child or an event connected with his birth. For example, Genesis 29:32-35 says: "Leah conceived, and bare a son, and she called his name Reuben: for she said, Surely the Lord hath looked upon my affliction; now therefore my husband will love me. And she conceived again, and bare a son; and said, Because the Lord hath heard that I was hated, he hath therefore given me this son also: and she called his name Simeon. And she conceived again, and bare a son; and said, Now this time will my husband be joined unto me, because I have born him three sons: therefore was his name called Levi. And she conceived again, and bare a son: and she said, Now I will praise the Lord: therefore she called his name Judah."

In fact, Rachel and Leah made prophetic statements for all 12 of Jacob's sons. Here are the names of the tribes that make up the 144,000 (in the order listed in Revelation chapter 7), together with the meaning of each name:

1. Judah = "I will praise the Lord"
2. Reuben = "He has looked on me"
3. Gad = "Granted good fortune"
4. Asher = "Happy am I"
5. Naphtali = "My wrestling"
6. Manasseh = "Making me to forget"
7. Simeon = "God hears me"
8. Levi = "Joined to me"
9. Issachar = "Purchased Me"
10. Zebulun = "Dwelling"
11. Joseph = "God will add to me"
12. Benjamin = "Son of His right hand"

Now notice what happens when the meaning of the names are combined, in the same order, into a paragraph:

"I will praise the Lord for He has looked on me and granted good fortune. Happy am I because my wrestling God is making me to forget. God hears me and is joined to me. He has purchased me a dwelling. God will add to me the Son of His right hand." (The words in italics are supplied to complete each thought.)

These names describe the story of the church's struggle, redemption, victory, and marriage to the Lamb....

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/07/17 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By: APL
The Gentiles have no part in God's covenant promises. In Christ is the yea. "For how many soever be the promises of God, in Him is the yea; wherefore also through Him is the Amen, unto the glory of God through us." 2 Corinthians 1:20. The Gentiles are those who are without Christ, and so they are "strangers from the covenants of promise." No Gentile has any part in any covenant of promise. But whosoever will may come to Christ, and may share in the promises; for Christ says, "Him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out." John 6:37 But when the Gentile does that, no matter what his nationality may be, he ceases to be a Gentile, and becomes a member of "the commonwealth of Israel."
You have to understand that the people of “Israel” are not confined to the descendants of Abraham after the flesh, but that true Israel are Jews inwardly (Romans 2:29); not “children of the flesh,” but “children of the promise” (Romans 9:6-8); wild scions grafted into the good olive-tree and partaking of its nature (Romans 11:17, 24); members from the Gentiles, of the “commonwealth of Israel.” Ephesians 2:12, 19. And all this pertains to Christians, who are in consequence of their relation to Christ, “Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.” Galatians 3:29. So James, addressing Christians at the time - when “the coming of the Lord draweth nigh” (the very time to which Revelation 7:1-8 applies), greets them as “the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad.”

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/07/17 06:37 AM

You misunderstand the word of God. Jesus never said, "For God so loved the commonwealth of Israel ..." but rather, "For God so loved the world (including the commonwealth of Israel) ..." Luke traces the ancestry of Jesus to Adam, the son of God from whom are all mankind for whom Jesus died.

This is the whole point of the book of Hebrews. Heb 4: "For if Joshua had given them (Israel) rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. There remains therefore a rest for the people of God."

And again, Heb 11: "These all died in faith (Abel to Abraham), not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. For those who say such things declare plainly that they seek a homeland. And truly if they had called to mind that country from which they had come out, they would have had opportunity to return. But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them."

The Jews inherited the promise from the Gentiles and not the other way around. Their narrow-mindedness prevented them from hearing the truth.

///

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/07/17 01:30 PM

You misunderstand the word of God. Jesus never said, "For God so loved the commonwealth of Israel ..." but rather, "For God so loved the world (including the commonwealth of Israel) ..." Luke traces the ancestry of Jesus to Adam, the son of God from whom are all mankind for whom Jesus died.

This is the whole point of the book of Hebrews. Heb 4: "For if Joshua had given them (Israel) rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. There remains therefore a rest for the people of God."

And again, Heb 11: "These all died in faith (Abel to Abraham), not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. For those who say such things declare plainly that they seek a homeland. And truly if they had called to mind that country from which they had come out, they would have had opportunity to return. But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them."

The Jews inherited the promise from the Gentiles and not the other way around. Their narrow-mindedness prevented them from hearing the truth.

///

I misread it, adjusted post..

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/08/17 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: james

Hm - did I ever say that God does not love the Gentile? Nope. Why then do you say I misinterpret the scripture? Is it because you have been listening to evangelicals and not the Bible? I don't know. God so loved the world - everyone. Will everyone be saved? Nope. Only those that are in Christ are saved. Abraham was a Christian - he foresaw Christ and was glad, John 8:56. Is the New Covenant for the Gentiles? No! Jeremiah 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

And Hebrews 8 is speaking of the Gentiles? Hebrews 8:8-10 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: 9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. 10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Who is a Jew? Rick has spoken right. Romans 2:28-29 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: 29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God. Galatians 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

To whom is the New Covenant promised? The house of Israel! "Blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel shall be saved." Romans 11:25-26. "The fulness of the Gentiles" is the complete restoration of the house of Israel. All Israel will be saved when all who will hear the voice of the Lord shall have been gathered out. The "lost sheep of the house of Israel" are among all the nations of earth,--the Gentiles after the flesh,--and when they are found and gathered, there will be no more necessity for the preaching of the Gospel. "This Gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come." Matthew 24:14 The ending of the times of the Gentiles is the ending of the accepted time, the day of salvation.

Note that the New Covenant does not start in AD34. In truth, the Old and New Covenant are not dispensations, but parallel tracks from paradise lost, to paradise restored. The Old Covenant is a covenant of works based on the promises of the people. The New Covenant is based on the promises of God and accepted by Faith. Salvation is found only under the New Covenant.

The 144,000, will be of the House of Israel only - true Jews, not genetic Jews. They will be the ones who are alive at the very end of time.

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/14/17 02:15 PM

Hm - did I ever say that God does not love the Gentile? Nope. Why then do you say I misinterpret the scripture? Is it because you have been listening to evangelicals and not the Bible? I don't know. God so loved the world - everyone. Will everyone be saved? Nope. Only those that are in Christ are saved. Abraham was a Christian - he foresaw Christ and was glad, John 8:56. Is the New Covenant for the Gentiles? No! Jeremiah 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

And Hebrews 8 is speaking of the Gentiles? Hebrews 8:8-10 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: 9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. 10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Who is a Jew? Rick has spoken right. Romans 2:28-29 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: 29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God. Galatians 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

To whom is the New Covenant promised? The house of Israel! "Blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel shall be saved." Romans 11:25-26. "The fulness of the Gentiles" is the complete restoration of the house of Israel. All Israel will be saved when all who will hear the voice of the Lord shall have been gathered out. The "lost sheep of the house of Israel" are among all the nations of earth,--the Gentiles after the flesh,--and when they are found and gathered, there will be no more necessity for the preaching of the Gospel. "This Gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come." Matthew 24:14 The ending of the times of the Gentiles is the ending of the accepted time, the day of salvation.

Note that the New Covenant does not start in AD34. In truth, the Old and New Covenant are not dispensations, but parallel tracks from paradise lost, to paradise restored. The Old Covenant is a covenant of works based on the promises of the people. The New Covenant is based on the promises of God and accepted by Faith. Salvation is found only under the New Covenant.

The 144,000, will be of the House of Israel only - true Jews, not genetic Jews. They will be the ones who are alive at the very end of time.

Again read what scripture says, it will be people from all nations, and all the ends of the earth, not just Jews..

Revelation 7:9

After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/14/17 02:15 PM

Here is another explanation I came across, but be aware it appears to be from Jeff Pippenger, but it has some good points:

"Since the commencement of the Third Angel’s Message which began in 1844, God has been calling out a people to stand under the banner of the third angel. These people are described in Revelation 14:12 “Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.”

All false doctrines that came over from Paganism and the Roman church during the ‘falling away’ are repudiated and they stand on a solid Biblical foundation, free from all that has no higher authority than man’s ideas and traditions. They make the Commandments of God and the Faith of Jesus the ruling principle of their existence. Those who fully come into this condition receive the Seal of God.

GREAT MULTITUDE
Those who die in this faith, are sealed, and become part of the “Blessed Dead” and will be raised to hear the covenant of God with His people announced and see Jesus come in the clouds of glory.

INVESTIGATIVE JUDGMENT
Since 1844, the Investigative judgment has been taking place. It began first with the dead and prophecy and events in the church and world indicate that since 9-11-2001 it is turning to the judgment of the living. The Latter Rain is sprinkling. God is preparing a people to stand in the crisis soon to hit, and all who are willing to co-operate with Christ and the heavenly agencies, will be prepared to receive the Seal of God when the Testing time of the Sunday Law goes forward.

CLOSE OF PROBATION
During that test, all who know this message will show what character they have prepared—they will either stand obedient, in the power of the Lord, and be Sealed, receiving at that time the full measure of the Latter Rain, or they will capitulate to the worldly powers and receive the Mark of the Beast. At that time there will be no second chance for Sabbath believers as their probation closes first.

Those sealed at the time of this crisis will go forth in the full power of the Latter Rain and proclaim the Loud Cry to the people of the earth, whose probation continues during this time. Many of them will come out of the fallen religions and stand with the saints and through the power of the Holy Spirit they will learn in a very short time what it took the Advent Believers years to learn. They will receive the Seal and the Latter Rain and join in the proclamation of the final message to the world. These are called the eleventh hour workers in the parable.

“The time of God's destructive judgments is the time of mercy for those who have had no opportunity to learn what is truth. Tenderly will the Lord look upon them. His heart of mercy is touched; His hand is still stretched out to save, while the door is closed to those who would not enter.” Testimonies, vol. 9, p. 97.

LIVING THAT ARE SEALED AT SECOND COMING ARE 144,000
During this ‘Loud Cry’ period, some of the sealed will die, many will be martyred, but a group will remain until the final close of probation for the entire world. This occurs when the powers join together to pass a decree that all the saints are to be put to death at a certain time. Those who remain alive at this time will constitute the 144,000. They will go through the ‘Time of Jacob’s Trouble’ and witness God’s wrath upon the wicked in the Seven Last Plagues. They will be translated when Jesus comes, without seeing death.

These stand as evidence of the power of the plan of redemption—precious trophies of the Lamb. Though tried fiercely, they will stand without sin during the time when Christ has ceased His intercessory work and has left the sanctuary. Prophecy is clear that they are the first fruits and the 2nd coming cannot happen until this special group is demonstrated to the universe.

The Biblical Description:

Revelation 7:2 “And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea, 3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads. 4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.”

Revelation 14:1 “And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads. 2 And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps: 3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth. 4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb. 5 And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.”

Daniel 12:3 “And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.” {wise: or, teachers}

Daniel 12:10 “Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.”

We are to Strive to be Among Them

Although we do not know which of us will make up the final 144,000, we have been told we are all to strive to be among them. There is no separate standard that is lower for those who die before the final close of probation. We all need to be prepared for the Seal of God and this preparation is to be the focus of our lives. The most important aspect of the 144,000 both in the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy is their character.

Revelation 14:5 “And in their mouth was found no guile: [no hypocrisy; no dishonesty or falsehood.] for they are without fault before the throne of God.”

“Those whom the Lamb shall lead by the fountains of living waters, and from whose eyes he shall wipe away all tears, will be those now receiving the knowledge and understanding revealed in the Bible, the Word of God. To us has been given the privilege of receiving the wisdom that cometh from God, of seeing the beauty and the glories of that Word which lies at the foundation of all true knowledge. The Bible teaches us what a Christian ought to be, and what he ought to do…… “We are to copy no human being. There is no human being wise enough to be our criterion. We are to look to the man Christ Jesus, who is complete in the perfection of righteousness and holiness. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the pattern Man. His experience is the measure of the experience that we are to gain. His character is our model. Let us, then, take our minds off the perplexities and the difficulties of this life, and fix them on him, that by beholding we may be changed into his likeness. We may behold Christ to good purpose. We may safely look to him; for he is all-wise. As we look to him and think of him, he will be formed within, the hope of glory. {RH, March 9, 1905 par. 2 & 3}

“Let us strive with all the power that God has given us to be among the hundred and forty-four thousand. And let us do all that we can to help others to gain heaven. We are to have an intense interest in Christ Jesus; for he is our Saviour. He came to this world to be tempted in all points as we are, to prove to the universe that in this world of sin human beings can live lives that God will approve.” {RH, March 9, 1905 par. 4}

“On what foundation are you building? This question comes home to us all. We are living amid the perils of the last days. The law of God is almost universally disregarded. Satan is not idle; he walks about as a roaring lion, seeking whom he may turn from the right way. And he does not always appear as a lion; he has the power to come as a lamb, and then his voice is soft and low. But shall we allow him to control our hearts? Under his direction, shall we build upon a foundation that will not stand the storm? We can not afford to do this. Shall we not rather strive to be among that number of whom John writes, "Here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus"? {ST, September 24, 1896 par. 8}

“The path to freedom from sin is through crucifixion of self, and conflict with the powers of darkness. Let none be discouraged in view of the severe trials to be met in the time of Jacob's trouble, which is yet before them. They are to work earnestly, anxiously, not for that time, but for today. What we want is to have a knowledge of the truth as it is in Christ now, and a personal experience now. In these precious closing hours of probation, we have a deep and living experience to gain. We shall thus form characters that will ensure our deliverance in the time of trouble.” {OHC 321.2}

“One of the marked features in the representation of the 144,000 is that in their mouth there was found no guile. The Lord has said, "Blessed is the man . . . in whose spirit there is no guile." They profess to be children of God, and are represented as following the Lamb whithersoever He goeth. They are prefigured before us as standing on Mount Zion, girt for holy service, clothed in white linen, which is the righteousness of the saints. But all who follow the Lamb in heaven will first have followed Him on earth, in trustful, loving, willing obedience, followed Him not fretfully and capriciously, but confidently, truthfully, as the flock follows the shepherd. . . .” {3SM 424.2}

“John saw a Lamb on Mount Zion, and with Him 144,000 having His Father's name written in their foreheads. They bore the signet of heaven. They reflected the image of God. They were full of the light and the glory of the Holy One. If we would have the image and superscription of God upon us, we must separate ourselves from all iniquity. We must forsake every evil way, and then we must trust our cases in the hands of Christ. While we are working out our own salvation with fear and trembling, God will work in us to will and to do of His own good pleasure.” (RH March 19, 1889)

What other fact identifies this group?

The 144,000 are those who live through the seven last plagues after the close of human probation and at Jesus Coming are translated without seeing death.

“God would not suffer the wicked to destroy those who were expecting translation, and who would not bow to the decree of the beast or receive his mark. I saw that if the wicked were permitted to slay the saints, Satan and all his evil host, and all who hate God, would be gratified. And oh, what a triumph it would be for his satanic majesty, to have power, in the last closing struggle, over those who had so long waited to behold Him whom they loved! Those who have mocked at the idea of the saints' going up will witness the care of God for His people, and behold their glorious deliverance.”--EW 284 (1858). {LDE 263.3}

“The people of God will not be free from suffering; but while persecuted and distressed, while they endure privation, and suffer for want of food, they will not be left to perish.”--GC 629 (1911). {LDE 264.1}

“If the blood of Christ's faithful witnesses were shed at this time, it would not, like the blood of the martyrs, be as seed sown to yield a harvest for God.--GC 634 (1911). {LDE 264.2}

“A decree went forth to slay the saints, which caused them to cry day and night for deliverance. This was the time of Jacob's trouble. Then all the saints cried out with anguish of spirit, and were delivered by the voice of God. The one hundred and forty-four thousand triumphed. Their faces were lighted up with the glory of God.” {LS 117.1}

“Soon we heard the voice of God like many waters, which gave us the day and hour of Jesus' coming. The living saints, 144,000 in number, knew and understood the voice, while the wicked thought it was thunder and an earthquake. When God spoke the time, He poured upon us the Holy Ghost, and our faces began to light up and shine with the glory of God, as Moses' did when he came down from Mount Sinai.” {CET 58.1}

“The 144,000 were all sealed, and perfectly united. On their foreheads was written, "God, New Jerusalem," and a glorious star containing Jesus' new name. At our happy, holy state the wicked were enraged, and would rush violently up to lay hands on us to thrust us into prison, when we would stretch forth the hand in the name of the Lord, and they would fall helpless to the ground. Then it was that the synagogue of Satan knew that God had loved us who could wash one another's feet, and salute the brethren with a holy kiss, and they worshiped at our feet.” {CET 58.2}

Why are they needed:

Before the Great Controversy between Christ and Satan can be fully brought to an end, it is necessary that a people be demonstrated that fully keep ALL of God’s commandments and have been cleansed of all rebellion and sin, to the point that the full power of the Holy Spirit can be poured out on them without measure, and dwell within them. They must be so fully restored to holiness that they will at the end be able to stand, sealed unto God and without a mediator in the heavenly sanctuary.

Many faithful people lived and died in Old Testament times; but this special group could not have come from the times before Christ, because the covenant had not at that time been ratified by the blood of the Lamb of God. The ‘Wave Sheaf’ that Christ took with Him when He ascended was from among these.

There were many faithful during the long years of Papal supremacy, many of which were martyred for their faith. But the 144,000 could not be raised up from among them.

Only as the reformation was completed by a full and complete return to Biblical doctrine, laying aside all the Pagan and Papal errors fully, and a people raised up to repair the Breach in God’s Law by restoring the Sabbath to its proper place, could we expect to see this group arise. They could not arrive in history until the third angel’s message went forth at the opening of the Most Holy Place of the heavenly sanctuary in 1844.

Although many saints that have died in the past will be raised to be among the redeemed, because they fully, with an honest heart, lived up to all the light they had, the 144,000 are raised up when the full light of God’s truth is shining on their pathway, including the testimony of Jesus—the Spirit of Prophecy, and they accept and obey the light in its complete fullness...." my notes are in caps.

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/14/17 05:46 PM

Again read what scripture says, it will be people from all nations, and all the ends of the earth, not just Jews..

After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;

YES!!! That is true!!!

Galatians 3:29 And if you be Christ's, then are you Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise. Romans 2:28-29 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: 29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

True Jews come from every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation!!!
Posted By: ProdigalOne

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/15/17 03:32 AM

Rick, how did you arrive at 9-11-2001 as the start of the judgement of the living?

"Since 1844, the Investigative judgment has been taking place. It began first with the dead and prophecy and events in the church and world indicate that since 9-11-2001 it is turning to the judgment of the living."

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/16/17 04:05 PM

Galatians 3:29 And if you be Christ's, then are you Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise. Romans 2:28-29 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: 29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

1. The 144,000 are NOT Jews. They are Hebrews or Israelites: children of Israel. There is a difference and twelve times over at that.

2. Jews adhere to the religion of the Kingdom of Judah. Paul said he was a Jew (a Pharisee); BUT of the tribe of Benjamin.

3. The 144,000 come out of the tribes of Israel; whereas the Great Multitude come out of all the tribes of the world. BIG DIFFERENCE.

///

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/16/17 07:32 PM

1. The 144,000 are NOT Jews. They are Hebrews or Israelites: children of Israel. There is a difference and twelve times over at that.

2. Jews adhere to the religion of the Kingdom of Judah. Paul said he was a Jew (a Pharisee); BUT of the tribe of Benjamin.

3. The 144,000 come out of the tribes of Israel; whereas the Great Multitude come out of all the tribes of the world. BIG DIFFERENCE.

///
The promises of God are ONLY with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. And ALL are welcome to join.

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/16/17 10:22 PM

///
The promises of God are ONLY with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. And ALL are welcome to join.

ONLY? That is not true. Because God was speaking to them through Jeremiah, it seemed that way. But hear his word through Isaiah (49:6):

Indeed [GOD] says, 'It is too small a thing that You should be My Servant
  • HEBREWS: To raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved ones of Israel;
  • GENTILES: I will also give You as a light to the Gentiles, that You should be My salvation to the ends of the earth.'

And so we see there a foreshadow of the vision in Revelation (7:4,9):
  • HEBREWS: And I heard the number of those who were sealed. One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed ...
  • GENTILES: After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues ...

The 144,000 are Hebrews, children of Israel; but the Great Multitude are Gentiles: all sealed for salvation just as Jesus Christ said himself, "For God so loved THE WORLD ..."

///

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/17/17 02:05 AM

YES! God so loved the world - EVERYONE. And if anyone turns to Him, they become "Abraham's seed." Galatians 3:29 And if you be Christ's, then are you Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

And to WHOM were the promises? ONLY with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. And a Jew is not one who is one outwardly (genetic), but a true Jew is one who is one inwardly and circumcision is of the heart. And that will be from every nation, tribe, peoples and tongue.

When one turns to Christ, they cease to be a Gentile.

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/17/17 03:58 AM

YES! God so loved the world - EVERYONE. And if anyone turns to Him, they become "Abraham's seed." Galatians 3:29 And if you be Christ's, then are you Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

And to WHOM were the promises? ONLY with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. And a Jew is not one who is one outwardly (genetic), but a true Jew is one who is one inwardly and circumcision is of the heart. And that will be from every nation, tribe, peoples and tongue.

So then we agree that:

1. the 144,000 of all Hebrews (Rev. 7:4-8), and
2. the Great Multitude of all Gentiles (Rev. 7:9-17)

together make up the saved of the world.

Thank you.

///

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/17/17 05:26 AM

There may be genetic Jews in the 144,000, but ALL of them will be "real" Jews made up of people from all nations, tribes, peoples and tongues. Of those saved ALL will be Jews as defined by Paul in Galatians, made up of all nations, tribes, peoples and tongues, and they cease to be Gentiles.

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/17/17 05:13 PM

There may be genetic Jews in the 144,000, but ALL of them will be "real" Jews made up of people from all nations, tribes, peoples and tongues. Of those saved ALL will be Jews as defined by Paul in Galatians, made up of all nations, tribes, peoples and tongues, and they cease to be Gentiles.

Why are you lying to yourself? Whose misinterpretation are you trying to protect?

///

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/17/17 06:56 PM

Why are you lying to yourself? Whose misinterpretation are you trying to protect?
smh

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/18/17 10:40 AM

YES!!! That is true!!!

So what then is your definition of a "true Jew"?

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/18/17 10:43 AM

So then we agree that:

1. the 144,000 of all Hebrews (Rev. 7:4-8), and
2. the Great Multitude of all Gentiles (Rev. 7:9-17)

together make up the saved of the world.

Thank you.

///
The 144,000 are made up of all or Gods people who make it alive through the time of trouble, its not just Jews.

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/18/17 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: rick
I did not think I was being cryptic with the verses I quoted. Do you disagree with 2 I listed????

Galatians 3:29 And if you be Christ’s, then are you Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Romans 2:28-29 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: 29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

In Galatians 3, to whom was the promise? I have not listed the verses, but surely you know them; the New Covenant, to whom is it offered? After answering this, then it is clear that ALL who are saved must be in Christ, and then they are heirs to the promise. This will include people from all nations, tongues, and peoples.
Posted By: Elle

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/18/17 08:15 PM

I did not think I was being cryptic with the verses I quoted. Do you disagree with 2 I listed????

Galatians 3:29 And if you be Christ’s, then are you Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Cryptic? Let's try to be Biblical first. I'm sorry, but the text above does not say Abraham was Jew nor imply it. And even in Abraham's time, there weren't any Israelites yet. Scripture tells us Abraham was a Hebrew not a Jew. And Jacob wasn't even an Israelite when he was born. Do note that he was given the name Israel and not the name Judah. The name "JEW" derive from the nation of JUDAH who is ONE of the 12 tribes of Israel.

There's a Biblical differences in terms of definition, prophecies between a Hebrew, an Israelite, or a Jew. Looking at the meaning of the Hebrew words of these words and their root gives clues. Besides being the name of actual historical nations, the past events they went thru also further identifies the purpose and the mind of God in raising them and what they symbolize in the plan of salvation.

To me Rom 2:28, Paul simply making the point that all those who accepted Christ was the TRUE JEWS IN GOD's EYES. It does NOT mean that the natural nation of Judah ceased to exist, and all the prophecies concerning that natural nation cease to be relevant to natural Judah. No, I see none of these assumption is Paul's point.

And that is what we Christian did with the nation of Israel (Aka, the 10 lost tribes). That natural nation of Israel still exist today, despite the Lord dispersed them into the world. And all of Isaiah's prophecies about the restoration of the NATURAL nation of Israel is still ON.

Yes there is a Natural nation of Judah, and there's a Spiritual nation of Judah. We need to be able to understand these parallele existance in scriptures and in real life. And above that, there's also a separate natural nation of Israel.

And then according to Isaiah there's a coming unification of Judah to Israel and NOT vice versa. Meaning a spiritual JEW is still not yet a spiritual Israelite.

Take note of the following :

1. Jesus came at His first coming as a JEW -- taking the scepter that was given to Judah.

2.The scepter was to belong to Judah "until Shiloh comes" (see Gen 49:10). Meaning the scepter(authority) was given to Judah TEMPORARILY because

3.the Birthright belong to the tribe of Joseph. The name of "Israel" was given to his two sons (Gen 48:16) and not to JUDAH. 1Ch 5:2 "For Judah prevailed above his brethren, and of him came the chief ruler; but the birthright was Joseph's".

4.Thus in Rev 19:13 Jesus is described as coming (His 2nd coming) as a Joseph with His coat dipped in blood(Gen 37:31).

My take, it is not until Jesus comes as a Joseph(an Israelite) at His 2nd coming, that the breach between the nation of Judah and Israel will be fixed, and His body will go to the next spiritual level in becoming spiritual Israelites in all its Biblical definition of the word.

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 01/18/17 09:26 PM

Abraham was a Christian! And please quote the verses where the promises of the New Covenant are stated. Thanks.

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 02/04/17 03:59 AM

Romans 2:28-29 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: 29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

In Galatians 3, to whom was the promise? I have not listed the verses, but surely you know them; the New Covenant, to whom is it offered? After answering this, then it is clear that ALL who are saved must be in Christ, and then they are heirs to the promise. This will include people from all nations, tongues, and peoples.

The Bible explains itself, but some are blinded to it, just like those that cant see the truth of the Sabbath....
Posted By: dedication

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 02/06/17 01:29 AM

A true Israelite is united with Christ,
Christ is the true Israel.
Israel means "Prince of God" One with power to be victorious with God.
Those in Christ are the true "children of Israel".
Brothers and sisters of Christ, sons and daughters of God.

The issue is not about physical heritage, but spiritual heritage.

Romans 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly... 2:29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit,

Romans 9:6-8For they are not all Israel which are of Israel; neither because they are the seed of Abraham are they all children… but the children of promise are counted for the seed." .

Galatians 3:29."And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed and heirs according to the promise
"

The issue is the true meaning if ISRAEL. Which is rooted in Christ.
Natural jews were either part of the "tree" or cut off from the "tree" depending on their acceptance of Christ. Gentiles were grafted into the tree, and are in danger of being cut of from the tree, again depending on their acceptance of Christ.
(See Romans 9)

The breach between Jews and Gentiles was mended at Christ's first coming. Both being offered to become part of the household of God and partakers of the promises.

Ephesians 2:11 Wherefore remember, that you were in time past Gentiles in the flesh, called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
2:12 That at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
2:14 For he is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
2:16 that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby
2:18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
2:19 Now therefore you are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
3:6 That the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

Romans 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
3:29 And if ye [be] Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Posted By: Alchemy

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 02/06/17 07:16 AM

We came across the question of the 144,000 and the Great Multitude which No One Could Number. It cause some issues as we struggled with it as the Adventist view is not clearly laid out and Ellen White held back for reasons which will become clear.

1. That these two groups of people are one and the same. However, I find some problems with this:

Issues with this view.
A. The 144,000 is specifically named from the 12 tribes of Israel (Revelation 7:4) however, the Great Multitude comes from All Nations (Revelation 7:9)

B. The Great Multitude Could Not be Numbered (Revelation 7:9), however, 144,000 is a Numbered People (Revelation 7:4)

C. The 144,000 is specifically said to be those that "washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb",(Revelation 7:14), "Virgins", and "were redeemed from among men, being first fruits to God and to the Lamb" (Revelation 14).

The issue with this is fairly straightforward.
A. Why give a specific number if its symbolic.

B. Why separate them from the Great Multitude which No One Could Number, why not just leave it at that.

3. That the 144,000 are those that are living and the 'first fruits' raised up to meet Him when Christ comes, and the resurrected are raised up to join them in the air and both taken to heaven.

I like this answer the best and don't see any issues with it, but want everyone's thoughts and input.

Here is Revelation 7 King James Version (KJV) on the issue.

1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.
5 Of the tribe of Juda were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Reuben were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Gad were sealed twelve thousand.
6 Of the tribe of Aser were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Nephthalim were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Manasses were sealed twelve thousand.
7 Of the tribe of Simeon were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Levi were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Issachar were sealed twelve thousand.
8 Of the tribe of Zabulon were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Joseph were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Benjamin were sealed twelve thousand.
9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;
10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.
11 And all the angels stood round about the throne, and about the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God,
12 Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.
13 And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they?
14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

And here is Revelation 14 King James Version (KJV):

1 And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads.
2 And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps:
3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.
4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.
5 And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.

I personally believe that the 144,000 live through the last and terrible tribulation of this earth after the close of probation.

This great multitude are all the redeemed of the earth, which would include the 144,000, but, be a much larger number in total.
Posted By: Alchemy

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 02/06/17 07:17 AM

I have had an impossible time trying to connect to this site and I don't know what to do about it.

I don't know why I was able to connect this time.

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 02/06/17 08:37 AM

There is another view prevalent in Adventism:

4. The 144,000 are those who receive the outpouring of the latter rain and go forth to witness -- to bring in the final harvest. (Like Christ's followers in the upper room on Pentecost)
With power from the Holy Spirit they go forth -- the whole earth is lightened with the final message and a large multitude respond.

"The great work of the gospel is not to close with less manifestation of the power of God than marked its opening. The prophecies which were fulfilled in the outpouring of the former rain at the opening of the gospel, are again to be fulfilled in the latter rain at its close. {GC88 611.1}

From the chapter "The Shaking" in which many careless ones are shaken out from God's people, while those who pray and cling to God receive the latter rain.

""Said the angel, "Look ye!" My attention was then turned to the company I had seen, who were mightily shaken. I was shown those whom I had before seen weeping and praying in agony of spirit. The company of guardian angels around them had been doubled, and they were clothed with an armor from their head to their feet. They moved in exact order, like a company of soldiers. .... I heard those clothed with the armor speak forth the truth with great power. It had effect. Many had been bound; some wives by their husbands, and some children by their parents. The honest who had been prevented from hearing the truth now eagerly laid hold upon it. All fear of their relatives was gone, and the truth alone was exalted to them. They had been hungering and thirsting for truth; it was dearer and more precious than life. I asked what had made this great change. An angel answered, "It is the latter rain, the refreshing from the presence of the Lord, the loud cry of the third angel." {CET 177.2}

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 02/09/17 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Alchemy
I have had an impossible time trying to connect to this site and I don't know what to do about it.

I don't know why I was able to connect this time.

I have had that problem with Safari a few times,
have you tried downloading a different browser?

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 03/04/17 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: dedication

A true Israelite is united with Christ,
Christ is the true Israel.
Israel means "Prince of God" One with power to be victorious with God.
Those in Christ are the true "children of Israel".
Brothers and sisters of Christ, sons and daughters of God.

The issue is not about physical heritage, but spiritual heritage.

Romans 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly... 2:29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit,

Romans 9:6-8For they are not all Israel which are of Israel; neither because they are the seed of Abraham are they all children… but the children of promise are counted for the seed." .

Galatians 3:29."And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed and heirs according to the promise
"

The issue is the true meaning if ISRAEL. Which is rooted in Christ.
Natural jews were either part of the "tree" or cut off from the "tree" depending on their acceptance of Christ. Gentiles were grafted into the tree, and are in danger of being cut of from the tree, again depending on their acceptance of Christ.
(See Romans 9)

The breach between Jews and Gentiles was mended at Christ's first coming. Both being offered to become part of the household of God and partakers of the promises.

Ephesians 2:11 Wherefore remember, that you were in time past Gentiles in the flesh, called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
2:12 That at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
2:14 For he is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
2:16 that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby
2:18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
2:19 Now therefore you are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
3:6 That the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

Romans 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
3:29 And if ye [be] Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Yes, excellent post..

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 03/04/17 03:52 PM

4. The 144,000 are those who receive the outpouring of the latter rain and go forth to witness -- to bring in the final harvest. (Like Christ's followers in the upper room on Pentecost)
With power from the Holy Spirit they go forth -- the whole earth is lightened with the final message and a large multitude respond.

"The great work of the gospel is not to close with less manifestation of the power of God than marked its opening. The prophecies which were fulfilled in the outpouring of the former rain at the opening of the gospel, are again to be fulfilled in the latter rain at its close. {GC88 611.1}

From the chapter "The Shaking" in which many careless ones are shaken out from God's people, while those who pray and cling to God receive the latter rain.

""Said the angel, "Look ye!" My attention was then turned to the company I had seen, who were mightily shaken. I was shown those whom I had before seen weeping and praying in agony of spirit. The company of guardian angels around them had been doubled, and they were clothed with an armor from their head to their feet. They moved in exact order, like a company of soldiers. .... I heard those clothed with the armor speak forth the truth with great power. It had effect. Many had been bound; some wives by their husbands, and some children by their parents. The honest who had been prevented from hearing the truth now eagerly laid hold upon it. All fear of their relatives was gone, and the truth alone was exalted to them. They had been hungering and thirsting for truth; it was dearer and more precious than life. I asked what had made this great change. An angel answered, "It is the latter rain, the refreshing from the presence of the Lord, the loud cry of the third angel." {CET 177.2}
Were is the context for the chapter "The Shaking" showing it is the 144,000. Need to be careful, they are 2 different things, we definitely can see the start of the shaking now, the 144,000 are those left at the end.....

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 03/05/17 08:05 AM

Yes, Rick:

When the Church is reaching out to the poor without including the gospel message; when faithful Seventh Day Adventists are shut out of ministry; when the Sabbath is disdained as legalism; when Jesuit meditation becomes mandatory for our leaders; when the demonic savagery of evolution replaces loving creationism in our schools; when acceptance and accommodation of homosexuality is taught by our "learned" professors; when ordained woman are baptizing openly gay lesbians married to other lesbians; when gay men's choirs perform to the acclamation of our congregations, yes, it is probably safe to say that the shaking has begun!

In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, let the straight testimony go forth!

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 03/09/17 02:06 PM

But where is the connection to the 144,000. Satan is putting much misdirection to cloud the truth...

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 03/11/17 06:57 AM

Where is the context for the chapter "The Shaking" showing it is the 144,000. Need to be careful, they are 2 different things, we definitely can see the start of the shaking now, the 144,000 are those left at the end.....

I think you answered the question.
The shaking takes place within the church that professes to believe the three angels' messages.
And yes, the 144,000 are those left at the end.
But what do they do?

Don't forget the 4th angel of Rev. 18 -- who gives the third angel's message with added power.
That work of giving the last loud cry will be the work of the 144,000.
It is the work of those who remain in the truth of the third angel's message.

Reread the chapter of the "The shaking" it is after the shaking has shaken out the careless, that a group remains, a group that has triumphed -- They receive the outpouring of the Holy Spirit and "They moved in exact order, like a company of soldiers. .... I heard those clothed with the armor speak forth the truth with great power. It had effect."

Quoting Revelation 14:1-3 EGW writes
Why were they (the 144,000) so specially singled out? Because they had to stand with a wonderful truth right before the whole world, and receive their opposition, and while receiving this opposition they were to remember that they were sons and daughters of God, that they must have Christ formed within them the hope of glory (MS 13, 1888).

The 144,000 have a special work to do -- to stand with a wonderful truth right before the whole world, and it has an effect.

Re: The 144,000 and the Great Multitude from the Great Tribulation - 03/11/17 08:04 AM

-- The 144,000 are those who believe in the three angels' messages, who go through the shifting/shaking time and remain faithful, even though the majority forsake the three angels message and make life difficult for those who cling to the message. Those faithful receive the latter rain and in its power give the last loud cry, a powerful last message to the world.

God's remnant must be cleansed and filled with the Holy Spirit before the loud cry will be given. Right now, multitudes in the church that professes to believe the three angel's messages, don't take those messages seriously, nor share them with others. The church now is filled with every wind of doctrine and cannot give a united "loud cry". All the chaff will be swept away in the great shaking, leaving the 144,000 to go with power to witness truth to the world.

They are the only ones who can sing the song of Moses and of the Lamb, for it is the song of their experience -- not only of their own personal salvation -- many others will sing of God's salvation as well, but Moses and the Lamb were willing to give everything for the salvation of others.
The 144,000, purified from sin and filled with the Holy Spirit, will risk everything to proclaim the last "loud cry" to world on the edge of eternity.

-- The great multitude are the ones that respond to the loud cry. They come from every tribe and nation, and out of Babylon, they too experience the great end time tribulation and wash their robes in the blood of the Lamb.

Quotes:

"... I heard voices which seemed to sound everywhere, "Come out of her, my people." . . . The glory of God rested upon the patient, waiting saints, and they fearlessly gave the last solemn warning, proclaiming the fall of Babylon and calling upon God's people to come out of her that they might escape her fearful doom. The light that was shed upon the waiting ones penetrated everywhere, and those in the churches who had any light, who had not heard and rejected the three messages, obeyed the call and left the fallen churches. {FLB 335}

"...The third angel's message is to lighten the earth with its glory; but only those who have withstood temptation in the strength of the Mighty One will be permitted to act a part in proclaiming it when it shall have swelled into the loud cry. {HS 155.3}

" I saw that God has honest children among the nominal (Millerite) Adventists and the fallen churches, and before the plagues shall be poured out, ministers and people will be called out from these churches and will gladly receive the truth. Satan knows this; and before the loud cry of the third angel is given, he raises an excitement in these religious bodies, that those who have rejected the truth may think that God is with them.--EW 261 (1858).

"Notwithstanding the spiritual darkness and alienation from God that exist in the churches which constitute Babylon, the great body of Christ's true followers are still to be found in their communion.--GC 390

The great work of the gospel is not to close with less manifestation of the power of God than marked its opening. The prophecies which were fulfilled in the outpouring of the former rain at the opening of the gospel, are again to be fulfilled in the latter rain at its close. . . . {LDE 203.1}

Servants of God, with their faces lighted up and shining with holy consecration, will hasten from place to place to proclaim the message from heaven. By thousands of voices, all over the earth, the warning will be given. Miracles will be wrought, the sick will be healed, and signs and wonders will follow the believers.--GC 611, 612

"There will be thousands converted to the truth in a day, who at the eleventh hour see and acknowledge the truth and the movements of the Spirit of God. "Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed" [Amos 9:13]. {1888 754.4}

So the 144,000 are represented by the angel of Rev. 18 that gives the loud cry calling God's people (the majority of whom are still in Babylon) to come out!
And while Babylon itself will react with fury and reject the message -- every honest follower of Christ will respond and come out and fully commit to Christ in faith and obedience to His law. A great multitude will respond.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church