What does Christ mean by 'this generation shall not pass'?

Posted By: Rick H

What does Christ mean by 'this generation shall not pass'? - 01/23/24 01:05 PM

We see it in several text...

Matthew 24:34
Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Mark 13:30
Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

Luke 21:32
Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

What are everyones thoughts...
Posted By: dedication

Re: What does Christ mean by 'this generation shall not pass'? - 01/23/24 09:48 PM

Matthew 24:32-34 Now learn a parable of the fig tree;...
So also, when you see all these things, you will know that He is near, right at the door. 34Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have happened. 35Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will never pass away.

A popular theory amongst evangelical Christians is that the fig tree represents Israel.
The fig tree was "cut down" because it wasn't bearing fruit , (70AD) but it would be replanted, and when it is replanted (Israel once again declared a state 1946) that generation shall not pass away till all be fulfilled

Luke 21:29-32 Behold the fig tree, and all the trees;
when they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand.
So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled

For an Adventist View you might try
Ministry Magazine September 1999
Here's a quote from that article
Jesus' statement that "this generation shall not pass away" (Matt. 24:34; 26:64) is applied to all major opponents of Christ in every generation. They will all be resurrected at His second advent and face Him as their Judge. Jesus' point is not the chronological life span of "this generation" but His sure coming in judgment for His contemporary generation and for all who have "pierced Him" with their rejection.

Others believe that once the very end of time occurs, that generation will witness all the signs and be living at the second coming of Christ.

Then there are others that say: ?Jesus wasn?t referring to His coming; Jesus was referring to the manifestation of His power and the coming of His kingdom in the transfiguration, (or the resurrection, or the day of Pentecost), because on Pentecost they saw the kingdom of God coming in power.?
Posted By: Kevin H

Re: What does Christ mean by 'this generation shall not pass'? - 02/04/24 01:45 AM

The Seventh-day Adventist Bible Commentary, vol 4 has an essay "The Role of Israel in Old Testament Prophecy" This chapter gives a macro view, and we can apply the principles in a micro view to each section of the Bible. The theses is that God gives prophecies FIRST in a framework that can be fulfilled with in or not too much beyond the living generation where God could use them in setting up the promised kingdom. But then, if not fulfilled, the issues and principles would still cycle around (to help understand, try to get a copy of Henri Frankfort and others "Before Philosophy" 1946 University of Chicago Press. Sadly out of print, but copies are still floating around.)

The immediate setting is how Jesus could have set up the kingdom if he was accepted.

Since he was not, the issues and principles cycle around again, and gets a local application in a foretaste of what Jesus wanted to give us had he been accepted in the transfiguration.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church