Why did Christ use Parables?

Posted By: Rick H

Why did Christ use Parables? - 05/04/13 01:30 PM

Why not just say the truth directly he was trying to give or explain the doctrine?

Lets take for example one parable which has caused some confusion.

The Rich Man and Lazarus

19 There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.
24 So he called to him, "Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire."
25 But Abraham replied, "Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us."
27 He answered, "Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment"
29 Abraham replied, "They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.
30 No, father Abraham, he said, "but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent."
31 He said to him, "If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead."

Why did Christ use this parable?
Posted By: Garywk

Re: Why did Christ use Parables? - 07/20/23 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rick H
Why not just say the truth directly he was trying to give or explain the doctrine?

Lets take for example one parable which has caused some confusion.

The Rich Man and Lazarus

19 There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.
24 So he called to him, "Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire."
25 But Abraham replied, "Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us."
27 He answered, "Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment"
29 Abraham replied, "They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.
30 No, father Abraham, he said, "but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent."
31 He said to him, "If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead."

Why did Christ use this parable?

Jesus used parables so He could illustrate heavenly truths in earthly language and things we see around us every day. And by using parables and scenes they were all familiar with He could slide truth past their preconceptions and prejudices. It's sort of how tv works on the human mind. It puts it to sleep and implants beliefs into our subconcious mind. Only Jesus did it by focusing their attention on something they were familiar with while He told them truths they didn't necessarily want to know.
Posted By: dedication

Re: Why did Christ use Parables? - 07/20/23 04:00 AM

But why did Jesus use that parable? Future generations see something in that parable that conflicts with the state of the dead biblical doctrine?

It?s a troubling question often asked. Even when we see that Jesus was comparing the Pharisees with the rich man The Pharisee thought they were highly favoured by God and sure of salvation while looking down on the common people. Jesus turns that upside down. They were rejecting Jesus rejecting the messianic prophesies about Jesus. Even when Lazarus of Bethany was raised from the dead they rejected their Savior.

But why did Jesus use that particular parable that would confirm so many later Christian?s in their error on the state of the dead?
Posted By: Garywk

Re: Why did Christ use Parables? - 07/20/23 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by dedication
But why did Jesus use that parable? Future generations see something in that parable that conflicts with the state of the dead biblical doctrine?

It?s a troubling question often asked. Even when we see that Jesus was comparing the Pharisees with the rich man The Pharisee thought they were highly favoured by God and sure of salvation while looking down on the common people. Jesus turns that upside down. They were rejecting Jesus rejecting the messianic prophesies about Jesus. Even when Lazarus of Bethany was raised from the dead they rejected their Savior.

But why did Jesus use that particular parable that would confirm so many later Christian?s in their error on the state of the dead?

I don't know. He's God and I'm finite sinful mortal. I can speculate but that isn't worth much. He might have done it as God will never remove all doubt so He gave those who wanted a hook to hang their doubts on could have place to hang them. I've seen that happen with that parable. But I don't know so I don't see much point in speculating. I've seen a lot of people go to all kinds of lengths of speculation but it's never made sense to me. I guess I just trust God.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church