Earthquakes in Diverse Places

Posted By: Anonymous

Earthquakes in Diverse Places - 02/26/01 10:49 PM

EARTHQUAKES IN DIVERS PLACES pt. 1 February 26, 2001

The Associated Press and Reuters reports: “Quake Jolts San Francisco Bay Area: An earthquake sent a sharp jolt through the San Francisco Bay area Sunday afternoon but no damage was reported. The quake had a 4.4 magnitude, the U.S. Geological Survey reported. It was centered 11 miles east of San Jose. Earthquakes with a magnitude stronger than 4 can cause moderate damage.
Some 20,000 houses collapsed and three people were killed as a strong earthquake struck a remote area of China's Sichuan province, a local official said on Sunday. Another 109 people were injured and seven were missing after the quake, measuring 6.0 on the Richter scale, struck a mountainous area populated by ethnic Tibetans in the southwestern province Friday.

A strong earthquake shook Afghanistan, Pakistan and northern India on Sunday. There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries. Estimates of the quake's magnitude ranged from 5.8 to 6.5. The shaking sent panicked residents rushing from their homes in Kabul, the Afghan capital, and in northern India. It rattled windows in Pakistan's capital of Islamabad, about 480 miles south of the epicenter near Feyzadad, Afghanistan.

Continued in next post…

---------------------------------------------

EARTHQUAKES IN DIVERS PLACES pt. 2 February 26, 2001

Continued from above:
A strong earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.8 jolted northeastern Japan on Sunday morning, but there were no immediate reports of damage or injuries. The quake struck at 6:54 a.m. local time, just below the seabed off the coast of Fukushima state, the Meteorological Agency said. The temblor shook buildings but no damage or injuries have been reported, said a local police spokesman on condition of anonymity. Fukushima is about 150 miles northeast of Tokyo There was no danger of tsunami - huge waves caused by undersea disturbances such as volcanic activity or earthquakes - the Meteorological Agency said.

Three people were killed and many injured by an earthquake that struck a remote part of China's Sichuan province, state media reported on Saturday. The quake measuring 6.0 on the open-ended Richter scale struck a mountainous area populated by ethnic Tibetans in the southwestern province on Friday.

Three sharp earthquakes shook quake-stricken El Salvador on Saturday, with reports of only minor damage. One person was injured running from a theater and the quake caused a brief fire at a gasoline station on the outskirts of the capital, said Red Cross spokesman Carlos Lopez Mendoza. Thousands of aftershocks have rattled the country since a magnitude 7.6 quake on Jan. 13. It was followed by a magnitude 6.6 quake on Feb. 13…”

=====================

I shortened the "--------" line.

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited March 01, 2001).]

Posted By: Andrew Marttinen

Re: Earthquakes in Diverse Places - 02/26/01 11:22 PM

Ellen White sees these events as being beyond "natural" occurances:

"The time is at hand when there will be sorrow in the world that no human balm can heal. The Spirit of God is being withdrawn. Disasters by sea and by land follow one another in quick succession. How frequently we hear of earthquakes and tornadoes, of destruction by fire and flood, with great loss of life and property! Apparently these calamities arre capricious outbreaks of disorganized, unregulated forces of nature, wholly beyond the control of man; but in them all, God's purpose may be read. They are among the agencies by which He seeks to arouse men and women to a sense of their danger." Prophets and Kings, p.277

The rest of this section of Prophets and Kings goes on to say that God uses these occurences to draw people closer to Him.

Are we listening?

By the way, isn't Washington State a little close to some major fault lines?

------------------
Cheer up ye pilgrims,
Be joyful and sing.
Jesus is Coming Again!

Pastor Andrew

Re: Earthquakes in Diverse Places - 02/27/01 02:13 AM

Hi Pastor Andrew,

OH, you don't want to know what I'm close to. I started out joking with some friends in California about their earthquakes, and they promptly pointed out that I was in a MUCH more precarious situation. Have a whole lot of trusting going on here.

Wendy
------------------
Through His Merits Alone!!!

Re: Earthquakes in Diverse Places - 02/28/01 11:18 PM

Well Pastor Andrew, talk about shocking. Two days after my statement to you, we have had a 7.0 magnitude earthquake. It was very serious, there is quite a bit of damage. Unfortunately what they are saying is this is extremely minor compared to what we can expect to come. Please pray for us, and pray for the Lord to come soon. These earthquakes are a wakeup call. He's coming to get us and we need to be ready!

God bless,
Wendy

Re: Earthquakes in Diverse Places - 03/01/01 12:20 AM

Thanks for the update, Wendy.

I'm following the news reports. I heard that it was felt in Vancouver BC. One of my church member has 2 brothers that live South of Vancouver--and she's phoning them right now.

I think the important part isn't the damage, but the "men's hearts are failing them for fear..."

I'm sure not too many people will sleep too well tonight near where you live.

Just think, in the last 3 months, over 1 in 6 people in the earth have felt quakes!

(In the Indian sub-continent there are over 1 billion people).

------------------
Be glad for all God is planning for you. Be patient in trouble, and always be prayerful. Rom. 12:12 NLT

Re: Earthquakes in Diverse Places - 03/01/01 12:27 AM

I know that if I didn't have my faith in God, my heart would be failing me for fear. As it is, I'm not too comfortable. But I know the Lord is in control. We'll be okay as long as we depend on Him.

Wendy

Posted By: Linda Sutton

Re: Earthquakes in Diverse Places - 03/01/01 03:11 AM

Wendy,

I'm watching the news and have just heard that a 6.8 earthquake struck in your area today. Are you and your family OK? I'll be concerned until I hear from you.

------------------
For I know that my redeemer liveth,
and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.

Linda

Re: Earthquakes in Diverse Places - 03/01/01 04:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WendyForsyth:
Well Pastor Andrew, talk about shocking. Two days after my statement to you, we have had a 7.0 magnitude earthquake. It was very serious, there is quite a bit of damage. Unfortunately what they are saying is this is extremely minor compared to what we can expect to come. Please pray for us, and pray for the Lord to come soon. These earthquakes are a wakeup call. He's coming to get us and we need to be ready!

God bless,
Wendy

Hi Linda,

This is from above when the quake first hit. We are all alright here fortunately. Not much damage where I am at, but the rest of the western side of the state is a mess. There is a state of emergency state wide as well as King county specifically. This hit right after Fat Tuesday which you may know is Mardi Gras. There was much immorality and degredation last night and many including me are seeing this as a judgement and wakeup call from God. Time is short and the Lord will keep allowing these things to happen in an attempt to bring people back to Him. Hopefully some will be brought to the Lord through this, and certainly we should be spreading the gospel with every effort possible. Jesus is coming soon! We don't have much time left to do our work. Who knows how long we have til probation closes. We all need to wake up! Thanks so much for you're loving concern! God bless,

Wendy
---------------
Maranatha!!!

Posted By: Linda Sutton

Re: Earthquakes in Diverse Places - 03/01/01 06:12 AM

Wendy, glad to know you are fine. You can tell I didn't read the previous posts. I was gone all afternoon and didn't hear until the evening news was on.

Now Mardi Gras? Lived in Mobile for 8 years which is the home of the first modern Mardi Gras celebrations in the US, not New Orleans as some think. The debauchery has long been associated with that Bacchanalian revelry, but then, that's another topic, isn't it?

------------------
For I know that my redeemer liveth,
and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.

Linda

Re: Earthquakes in Diverse Places - 03/01/01 06:25 AM

For sure Linda! Debauchery is the word! Even the stuff they put on the news was shocking. Seattle is pretty close behind San Francisco in immorality. We were warned it wouldn't be safe to be in the cities. Time is coming to leave the big cities. I'm glad I'm out in the boonies!

Wendy
--------------
Maranatha!!!

Re: Earthquakes in Diverse Places - 03/02/01 07:33 AM

I'm just joining the discussion today.

The Mardi Gras connection to the quake was on my mind to. News reports were saying that the mayor of Seattle quipped "enought already!" This was after the violence and the quake in such short succession.

Imagine what will be said when the earth groans even more before the Lord's coming.

The media is reporting 2 scenarios that could be nightmarish for those who live in the Pacific Northwest. 1)There's a plate just offshore that could be pressed downward causing a tsunami that will flood Puget Sound--and then 2)there's Mount Rainier...(Lots of snow has been melting since the early '90s)

People say that it's "lucky" that the quake was on a deep plate, but like dominoes, (or pastors shifting districts throughout a conference) that could that could affect the geological integrity of the entire region.

------------------
Be glad for all God is planning for you. Be patient in trouble, and always be prayerful. Rom. 12:12 NLT

Re: Earthquakes in Diverse Places - 03/02/01 07:59 AM

That's right Pastor Andrew(and the joke was hilarious by the way),

Mount Rainier is going to go in a big way if there is a shallow earthquake. They expect the entire Puyallup valley to flood with lava. It would be disastrous! It is also not a matter of if, but of when.

The time is at hand! Praise the Lord!

Wendy
--------------
Maranatha!!!

Posted By: Daryl

Re: Earthquakes in Diverse Places - 03/02/01 06:08 AM

Keep looking up for your redemption draweth nigh.

Daryl

Re: Earthquakes in Diverse Places - 03/02/01 06:44 AM

Amen Daryl! Praise the Lord! I am so homesick! I just want to be with my Father and rejoice eternally! Come quickly Lord Jesus!

Wendy
----------------
Maranatha!!!

Posted By: Gerry Buck

Re: Earthquakes in Diverse Places - 03/02/01 04:20 PM

I have a brotjher that lives in Lacey.
He drives a truck and is out here in the east somewhere at the moment.
His wife stays with a sister in Olympia, any word about that area?
I don't have a phone number to reach to check and I don't know the addy either.

Re: Earthquakes in Diverse Places - 03/02/01 08:22 PM

Gerry,

That is very close to the epicenter and Lacey/Tumwater area was hit very hard. Olympia and Seattle were hit the hardest, with the Capital building and the governor's mansion splitting in two in places. If you will email me your relative's/friend's names, I can look up the phone numbers and addresses for you. Only one person died from a heart attack, but over 270 were reported with quake related injuries. Let me know.

Also, I feel just a little spooked at having started this topic related to all the other earthquakes in the world, and then having it hit here. Too weird.

Wendy

Re: Earthquakes in Diverse Places - 03/02/01 11:32 PM

There probably was a reason to put the EGW quote in red.

------------------

Re: Earthquakes in Diverse Places - 03/03/01 12:05 AM

Definitely!!!
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church