Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes

Posted By: Green Cochoa

Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/07/13 09:06 AM

I think Asia, where I am, sees more tropical storms than the Americas do. But the Americas have far more tornadoes. The seasons for each seem to be about opposite times of the year, so this topic may see some discussion year-round. Weather events are numerous, but this topic is reserved for the "windy" ones.

One website I have found useful is:

http://tropicalstormrisk.com

There are others. Currently, we are facing the strongest and most powerful storm of the year anywhere on the planet: Super Typhoon Haiyan.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/07/13 09:19 AM

That's the storm approaching.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: APL

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/07/13 04:22 PM

Who or want is causing it? Is it from God to punish Asia? Or is it the work of Satan? Is this storm God's will?

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/07/13 04:45 PM

Super Typhoon Haiyan is said to have winds in excess of 150 knots per hour, sustained for one minute, which is about 175 mph, or about 280 kph. This means gusts are over 200 mph and over 330 kph. The storm surge may be fairly strong, though no one seems to have a clear idea of how strong. The typhoon is expected to weaken before making landfall in the Philippines, and then is on track for continuing into Vietnam, Laos, and then may affect China, Thailand, or Burma.

Last year, Super Typhoon Bopha killed over 400 people in the Philippines.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/07/13 05:00 PM

I was just corrected/updated by an Australian news source that says Bopha killed over 1000 people in the Philippines last year, and they are saying that this storm may be worse even than that. The reporter claimed that Super Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda) is more powerful than anything in Australia's recorded history.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/07/13 06:25 PM

WHOA! This is the strongest typhoon in terms of shear wind speed I ever remember seeing in my lifetime. Its intensity has INCREASED, instead of decreasing as was predicted. It is now packing sustained winds of about 165 knots, which equals 190 mph, and about 306 kph.

Look at http://tropicalstormrisk.com for the current status. Accuweather also has their take on it HERE.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/07/13 10:12 PM

My heart is aching thinking and praying about this storm and the precious people in its path. I've served as a missionary in Mindoro where the storm is projected to hit hardest.

Incredible News Coverage

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/08/13 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: MM
Satan is not the source or sustainer of the laws of nature. "Nature is not self-acting; she is the servant of her Creator. . . . The hand of God guides . . . It is through his power" that nature acts. You seem to think nature can act without God's guidance or power. You seem to think if Jesus withdraws His hand and power nature will act violently of its own accord and power. The SOP says otherwise.

Do you think evil angels are free to wield nature as a weapon and to wreak havoc as they please? Do you think Jesus can do nothing about it?
If your hears is aching, what do you think God's heart is doing? Rejoicing? I think not.

It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of. {14MR 3.1}

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/08/13 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
My heart is aching thinking and praying about this storm and the precious people in its path. I've served as a missionary in Mindoro where the storm is projected to hit hardest.

Incredible News Coverage

Thank you for that link, Mike. One small but noteworthy fact presented in that news article was the following.

Quote:
With sustained winds of 315 kph (195 mph) and gusts as strong as 380 kph (235 mph), Haiyan was probably the strongest tropical cyclone to hit land anywhere in the world in recorded history. It will take further analysis after the storm passes to establish whether it is a record.

This means that it strengthened even more after I went to bed last night. Upon checking again, it had weakened slightly, but very little. It was fully a Category 5 Super Typhoon upon making landfall.

I guess there has been some discussion in the past about creating a Category 6. This one would have been a Cat. 6.

I may be affected by this typhoon. If you don't see me online for awhile, it may be on account of it. I should be safe otherwise...I think.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/08/13 12:13 PM

This storm is currently churning over the Philippines. It threatens Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand next. The remnants of the storm may land it either Burma or China. Current forecasts indicate it may completely pass over the Philippines as a Category 5 storm, and thus have plenty of momentum for crossing the sea to the countries beyond.

This is unprecedented.

I was a little dismayed at the Philippine weather agency, Pagasa, in their reporting on the storm. They significantly understated its strength. Perhaps they felt it would calm people's fears. Perhaps, too, there would have been very little anyone could do in this situation. This storm was so strong, that they say only concrete and steel-reinforced structures can withstand it.

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
Category 5 is the highest category a tropical cyclone can obtain in the Saffir–Simpson scale. These storms cause complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings, and some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away. Collapse of many wide-span roofs and walls, especially those with no interior supports, is common. Very heavy and irreparable damage to many wood frame structures and total destruction to mobile/manufactured homes is prevalent. Only a few types of structures are capable of surviving intact, and only if located at least 3 to 5 miles (5 to 8 km) inland. They include office, condominium and apartment buildings and hotels that are of solid concrete or steel frame construction, public multi-story concrete parking garages, and residences that are made of either reinforced brick or concrete/cement block and have hipped roofs with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal and no overhangs of any kind, and if the windows are either made of hurricane-resistant safety glass or covered with shutters. Unless all of these requirements are met, the absolute destruction of a structure is certain.[5]

The storm's flooding causes major damage to the lower floors of all structures near the shoreline, and many coastal structures can be completely flattened or washed away by the storm surge. Virtually all trees are uprooted or snapped and some may be debarked, isolating most communities impacted. Massive evacuation of residential areas may be required if the hurricane threatens populated areas. Total and extremely long-lived extensive power outages and water losses are to be expected, possibly for up to several months.[5]
Historical examples of storms that made landfall at Category 5 status include the 1959 Mexico Hurricane, Camille (1969), Anita (1977), David (1979), Gilbert (1988), Andrew (1992), Dean and Felix (both in 2007).

(Emphasis mine)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/08/13 12:36 PM

And more info...

Quote:
At 9:45 p.m. ET, The Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang reported: "With estimated maximum sustained winds of 195 mph, it is thought to be the strongest storm to ever make landfall anywhere in the world in modern records." Those winds speeds would be 5 mph higher than the recorded maximum sustained winds of Hurricane Camille in 1969, Super Typhoon Tip in 1979 and Hurricane Allen in 1980.

Jeff Masters, meteorology director and founder of Weather Underground in Ann Arbor, Mich., told Bloomberg that the power of Haiyan is "off the charts."

Update at 2:15 p.m. ET: Winds Strengthen Further

Haiyan's maximum sustained winds have grown to 170 knots (196 mph), according to the just-released update from the U.S. Joint Typhoon Warning Center in Hawaii. Wind gusts are being measured at more than 230 mph.

The storm "has tracked westward at 21 knots over the past six hours," according to the update. "Maximum significant wave height ... is 50 feet."

This storm was basically packing 200 mph winds at landfall. I was in a Cat. 5 storm before. But not like this one. It was a "barely" Cat. 5, that almost immediately upon making landfall was reduced to Cat. 4. I was in a concrete building, and stayed safe, but witnessed signs ripped to shreds and trees torn apart by looking out the window. The whole building trembled, and that produced a distinctly eerie feeling, as it seemed the winds strained the capacity of the concrete block walls to remain intact. Again, this was not like the one which just hit the Philippines. I would not be at all surprised to hear that some concrete structures have been demolished in this storm.

With prayers for the Philippines,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: kland

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/08/13 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: APL
Who or want is causing it? Is it from God to punish Asia? Or is it the work of Satan? Is this storm God's will?

******* STAFF EDIT *******

I'm not sure why MM's heart is aching. For it is the will of God. Either He is directly doing it, or directly instructing evil angels how to do the most damage to punish people who disagree with Him.

For:
"Yes, Jesus causes disease, death, and destruction. He employed the forces of nature to cause the Great Deluge. Billions died."

"As such, evil angels would be unable to use nature to cause fire, flood, earthquakes, tornadoes, disease, or do anything destructive because nature would not respond or exist. "

"However, Jesus is in control. Evil angels are not at liberty to wreak havoc at will. They can only do what Jesus permits. He decides the who, what, when, and where."

"He is responsible for ensuring everything that happens happens according to His permissive will."

Praise the Lord, huh, for this storm coming "according to His 'permissive' will"?

Tell the people the 'good news', that this is coming on them because Jesus is causing it, He decided they are the current target, and it is His will that they experience this destruction, and if evil angels are involved, they wouldn't need to be, but are being 'employed' by Jesus to do His 'permissive' will.

Think they will be 'won over'? Or maybe this is to serve as an example for the rest of us: Don't cross the Bossman or it'll be comin' to you next!

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/08/13 05:31 PM

Or is this from geoengineering as a means to control the supposed global warming? Or is it to depopulate some areas?

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/08/13 06:50 PM

It looks as though the Philippines escaped the worst of it. Thank you, Jesus.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/08/13 07:31 PM

The history of Job had shown that suffering is inflicted by Satan, and is overruled by God for purposes of mercy. But Israel did not understand the lesson. The same error for which God had reproved the friends of Job was repeated by the Jews in their rejection of Christ. {DA 471.3}

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/09/13 03:45 PM

* * * MOD HAT ON * * *

This thread is not about Job. It's not about the "Bossman." It's about the weather. It is about the "signs of the times." Simple. Stay on topic, without arguing your pet theologies here, or, as a moderator, I will help you to do so.

* * * MOD HAT OFF * * *

I'm amazed at how callous people are here toward those who are in the line of jeopardy from storms such as this. Instead of inquiring how they might help the victims of the storm, instead of even expressing the least bit of interest in the actual event, or offering their prayer support for those who have lost everything, they turn it into a religio-political round of semantics.

Politics, even "church" ones, are diametrically opposed to Christianity.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/09/13 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
It looks as though the Philippines escaped the worst of it. Thank you, Jesus.

I appreciate your concern. I also believe it could have been worse. However, it certainly wasn't that great.

Originally Posted By: Reuters News Report
One of the strongest typhoons ever to make landfall devastated the central Philippines, killing more than 1,000 people in one city alone and 200 in another province, the Red Cross estimated on Saturday, as reports of high casualties began to emerge.

A day after Typhoon Haiyan churned through the Philippine archipelago in a straight line from east to west, rescue teams struggled to reach far-flung regions, hampered by washed out roads, many choked with debris and fallen trees.

The death toll is expected to rise sharply from the fast-moving storm, whose circumference eclipsed the whole country and which late on Saturday was heading for Vietnam.

Among the hardest hit was coastal Tacloban in central Leyte province, where preliminary estimates suggest more than 1,000 people were killed, said Gwendolyn Pang, secretary general of the Philippine Red Cross, as water surges rushed through the city.

"An estimated more than 1,000 bodies were seen floating in Tacloban as reported by our Red Cross teams," she told Reuters. "In Samar, about 200 deaths. Validation is ongoing."

She expected a more exact number to emerge after a more precise counting of bodies on the ground in those regions.

Witnesses said bodies covered in plastic were lying on the streets. Television footage shows cars piled atop each other.

"The last time I saw something of this scale was in the aftermath of the Indian Ocean Tsunami," said Sebastian Rhodes Stampa, head of the U.N. Disaster Assessment Coordination Team sent to Tacloban, referring to the 2004 earthquake and tsunami.

"This is destruction on a massive scale. There are cars thrown like tumbleweed and the streets are strewn with debris."

The category 5 "super typhoon" weakened to a category 4 on Saturday, though forecasters said it could strengthen again over the South China Sea en route to Vietnam.

Authorities in 15 provinces in Vietnam have started to call back boats and prepare for possible landslides. Nearly 300,000 people were moved to safer areas in two provinces alone - Da Nang and Quang Nam - according to the government's website.

The Philippines has yet to restore communications with officials in Tacloban, a city of about 220,000. A government official estimated at least 100 were killed and more than 100 wounded, but conceded the toll would likely rise sharply.

The national disaster agency has yet to confirm the toll but broken power poles, trees, bent tin roofs and splintered houses littered the streets of the city about 580 km (360 miles) southeast of Manila.

"IT WAS LIKE A TSUNAMI"

The airport was nearly destroyed as raging seawaters swept through the city, shattering the glass of the airport tower, leveling the terminal and overturning nearby vehicles.

"Almost all houses were destroyed, many are totally damaged. Only a few are left standing," said Major Rey Balido, a spokesman for the national disaster agency.

Local television network ABS-CBN showed images of looting in one of the city's biggest malls, with residents carting away everything from appliances to suitcases and grocery items.

Airport manager Efren Nagrama, 47, said water levels rose up to four meters (13 ft) in the airport.

"It was like a tsunami. We escaped through the windows and I held on to a pole for about an hour as rain, seawater and wind swept through the airport. Some of my staff survived by clinging to trees. I prayed hard all throughout until the water subsided."

Across the country, about a million people took shelter in 37 provinces after President Benigno Aquino appealed to those in the typhoon's path to leave vulnerable areas.

"For casualties, we think it will be substantially more," Aquino told reporters.

Officials started evacuating residents from low-lying areas, coastlines and hilly villages as early as three days before the typhoon struck on Friday, officials said. But not all headed the call to evacuate.

"I saw those big waves and immediately told my neighbors to flee," said Floremil Mazo, a villager in southeastern Davao Oriental province.

Meteorologists said the impact may not be as strong as feared because the storm was moving so quickly, reducing the risk of flooding and landslides from torrential rain, the biggest causes of typhoon casualties in the Philippines.

Ferry services and airports in the central Philippines remained closed, hampering aid deliveries to Tacloban, although the military said three C-130 transport planes managed to land at its airport on Saturday.

At least two people were killed on the tourist destination island of Cebu, three in Iloilo province and another three in Coron town in southwestern Palawan province, radio reports said.

"I never thought the winds would be that strong that they could destroy my house," LynLyn Golfan of Cebu said in a television interview while sifting through the debris.

By Saturday afternoon, the typhoon was hovering 765 km west of San Jose in southwestern Occidental Mindoro province, packing winds of a maximum 185 kph, with gusts of up to 220 kph.

The storm lashed the islands of Leyte and Samar with 275-kph wind gusts and 5-6 meter (15-19 ft) waves on Friday before scouring the northern tip of Cebu province. It weakened slightly as it moved west-northwest near the tourist island of Boracay, later hitting Mindoro island.

Haiyan was the second category 5 typhoon to hit the Philippines this year after Typhoon Usagi in September. An average of 20 typhoons strike every year, and Haiyan was the 24th so far this year.

Last year, Typhoon Bopha flattened three towns in southern Mindanao, killing 1,100 people and causing damage of more than $1 billion.

(Additional reporting by Rosemarie Francisco, Manuel Mogato and Karen Lema in Manila and Nguyen Phuong Linh in Hanoi; Editing by Jason Szep and Nick Macfie)

"Almost all houses were destroyed" stands out in that article, along with at least 1200 fatalities as of the present estimate. That figure will be adjusted in the coming days.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/09/13 05:38 PM

Here's an example of the alerts I have received for this typhoon.

Quote:
NW Pacific: Storm Alert issued at 8 Nov, 2013 12:00 GMT

Typhoon HAIYAN (31W) currently located near 11.8 N 120.6 E is forecast to strike land to the following likelihood(s) at the given lead time(s):
Red Alert Country(s) or Province(s)
the Philippines
probability for CAT 1 or above is 100% currently
probability for TS is 100% currently
Vietnam
probability for CAT 1 or above is 55% in about 36 hours
probability for TS is 85% in about 36 hours
Laos
probability for CAT 1 or above is 45% in about 48 hours
probability for TS is 75% in about 36 hours
Red Alert City(s) and Town(s)
Taytay (10.8 N, 119.5 E)
probability for CAT 1 or above is 70% within 12 hours
probability for TS is 100% within 12 hours
Da Nang (16.1 N, 108.2 E)
Quang Ngai (15.1 N, 108.8 E)
Dong Ha (16.8 N, 107.1 E)
probability for CAT 1 or above is 40% in about 48 hours
probability for TS is 60% in about 36 hours
Dong Hoi (17.5 N, 106.6 E)
probability for CAT 1 or above is 35% in about 48 hours
probability for TS is 60% in about 48 hours

Yellow Alert Country(s) or Province(s)
Cambodia
probability for CAT 1 or above is 15% in about 48 hours
probability for TS is 65% in about 36 hours
China
probability for CAT 1 or above is 10% in about 48 hours
probability for TS is 55% in about 36 hours
Thailand
probability for CAT 1 or above is 15% in about 48 hours
probability for TS is 50% in about 48 hours
Yellow Alert City(s) and Town(s)
Mamburao (13.2 N, 120.7 E)
probability for TS is 100% currently
Qui Nhon (13.8 N, 109.2 E)
probability for CAT 1 or above is 20% in about 36 hours
probability for TS is 75% in about 36 hours
Puerto Princesa (9.8 N, 118.7 E)
probability for TS is 70% within 12 hours
Kon Tum (14.4 N, 108.0 E)
probability for CAT 1 or above is 20% in about 48 hours
probability for TS is 70% in about 36 hours
Iloilo (10.9 N, 122.5 E)
probability for TS is 60% currently
Tuy Hoa (13.1 N, 109.3 E)
probability for TS is 60% in about 36 hours
Yaxian (18.4 N, 109.4 E)
probability for TS is 55% in about 48 hours
Vinh (18.7 N, 105.7 E)
probability for CAT 1 or above is 20% in about 48 hours
probability for TS is 55% in about 48 hours

Note that
Red Alert (Severe) is CAT 1 or above to between 31% and 100% probability.
Yellow Alert (Elevated) is CAT 1 or above to between 10% and 30% probability, or TS to above 50% probability.
CAT 1 means Typhoon strength winds of at least 74 mph, 119 km/h or 64 knots 1-min sustained.
TS means Tropical Storm strength winds of at least 39 mph, 63 km/h or 34 knots 1-min sustained.

For graphical forecast information and further details please visit http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com/

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/09/13 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
<font color="#DD0000">* * * MOD HAT ON * * *

This thread is not about Job. It's not about the "Bossman." It's about the weather. It is about the "signs of the times." Simple. Stay on topic, without arguing your pet theologies here, or, as a moderator, I will help you to do so.

* * * MOD HAT OFF * * *</font>

I'm amazed at how callous people are here toward those who are in the line of jeopardy from storms such as this. Instead of inquiring how they might help the victims of the storm, instead of even expressing the least bit of interest in the actual event, or offering their prayer support for those who have lost everything, they turn it into a religio-political round of semantics.

Politics, even "church" ones, are diametrically opposed to Christianity.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
* * * NOTE TO GREEN * * * - - Is the weather self-acting? Are we not in the middle of the Great Controversy? You understand that it has been suggested here on SABOL that God is in control of the weather. IF this event is actually sent by God, then WHO can stop it? (IF) Who has not expressed an interesting in this actual event? Mike said his heart ached because of this event. I asked the question, if his heart ached, how do you think God feels? But Mike thinks that weather under the control of God. The story of Job PROVES that not all bad weather events are caused by God, and I dare say, none are. Satan is at work in the temptest. We know that in the last days, the Spirit of God will be removed from the earth, that the winds of strife will come. This IS about the "signs of the times". It IS about the "bossman". It is about the story of Job. HOW CAN YOU separate the "signs of the times" from the "bossman"??? I don't get it...

Consider EGW:

The restraining Spirit of God is even now being withdrawn from the world. Hurricanes, storms, tempests, fire and flood, disasters by sea and land, follow each other in quick succession. Science seeks to explain all these. The signs thickening around us, telling of the near approach of the Son of God, are attributed to any other than the true cause. Men cannot discern the sentinel angels restraining the four winds that they shall not blow until the servants of God are sealed; but when God shall bid His angels loose the winds, there will be such a scene of strife as no pen can picture. {6T 408.1}

To those who are indifferent at this time Christ's warning is: "Because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of My mouth." Revelation 3:16. The figure of spewing out of His mouth means that He cannot offer up your prayers or your expressions of love to God. He cannot endorse your teaching of His word or your spiritual work in anywise. He cannot present your religious exercises with the request that grace be given you. {6T 408.2}

Could the curtain be rolled back, could you discern the purposes of God and the judgments that are about to fall upon a doomed world, could you see your own attitude, you would fear and tremble for your own souls and for the souls of your fellow men. Earnest prayers of heart-rending anguish would go up to heaven. You would weep between the porch and the altar, confessing your spiritual blindness and backsliding. {6T 408.3}

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/09/13 06:58 PM

APL,

Start your own thread. This one is about the weather as a sign of the times. It is not about your pet theories.

Taking a break...

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/10/13 06:32 AM

As APL started his own thread, I re-opened this one.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/10/13 05:09 PM

Hurricane Katrina was blamed for about 1,200 deaths. The latest figure in the news for Super Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines, said to be 3.5 times as powerful as Katrina was, is over 10,000 deaths. Entire cities have been leveled by the storm, including the coastal city of 220,000 people, Tacloban.

The storm has stayed over water instead of making landfall in Vietnam as was earlier predicted. It is much less powerful now, however. It seems its damage is mostly done, but there are reports of deaths in Vietnam as well.

Other countries are offering to assist the Philippines in this emergency. I think that is the proper thing to do. They will need a lot of help for quite some time. I still haven't heard from my friends in the Philippines.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/10/13 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
APL,

Start your own thread. This one is about the weather as a sign of the times. It is not about your pet theories.

Taking a break...

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
In what way is weather a "sign of the times"?

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/10/13 07:02 PM

GC, thank you for the update. I've been following it in the News. Very sad. In tuff times people tend to turn to Jesus. I hope and pray missionaries and monies donated will serve to help the displaced people recover and live even more fervently for Jesus.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/10/13 07:04 PM

I expect that during the year 1890 there will be great mortality. There will be crimes greater than any now on record. There will be weeping and lamentation and woe. During the past year, 1889, there has been brought to us almost daily the news of disasters by sea and by land--unusually destructive fires; earthquakes burying cities and villages with their inhabitants; railway accidents most terrible; tornadoes and floods that destroyed an immense amount of property, including the terrible Johnstown and Williamsport floods, which destroyed more than two thousand lives. {3MR 312.1}

The disasters of the past year in America have caused hearts to tremble, and similar disasters have fallen upon other countries. Already sprinklings from the vials of God's wrath have been let fall upon land and sea, affecting the elements of the air. The causes of these unusual conditions are being searched for, but in vain. {3MR 312.2}

God has not restrained the powers of darkness from carrying forward their deadly work of vitiating the air, one of the sources of life and nutrition, with a deadly miasma. Not only is vegetable life affected, but man suffers from pestilences. Cholera and unexplainable diseases have broken out. Diphtheria, raging to a limited extent, is gathering its harvest of precious little ones, and seems to be almost uncontrollable. {3MR 312.3}

These things are the result of drops from the vials of God's wrath being sprinkled on the earth, and are but faint representations of what will be in the near future. Earthquakes in various places have been felt, but these disturbances have been very limited. This year we may expect to have more. During the year that has just closed, whole cities have become nearly extinct. Thousands of people have been buried in the bowels of the earth. Premonitory convulsions have been felt in many places, giving warning of what may come as a surprise when the earth shakes and opens. Terrible shocks will come upon the earth, and the lordly palaces erected at great expense will certainly become heaps of ruins. The earth's crust will be rent by the outbursts of the elements concealed in the bowels of the earth. These elements, once broken loose, will sweep away the treasures of those who for years have been adding to their wealth by securing large possessions at starvation prices from those in their employ. And the religious world, too, is to be terribly shaken; for the end of all things is at hand.--Ms 24, 1891. {3MR 312.4}

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 11/28/13 07:25 AM

This topic is closed for awhile, as it went off topic and we had two nearly duplicate threads going discussing the same content which has nothing to do with tropical storms.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 12/05/13 04:48 AM

I have reopened this thread with the understanding that all future posts will be on topic and not go off into the same content of the other thread.
Posted By: Alchemy

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 01/19/14 02:01 AM

I thank God that I made it through that "Super Typhoon" just fine. There is a low pressure area that has been floating around for almost two weeks that has become a tropical depression AGATON. If it doesn't move soon, it will turn into a typhoon. It is only moving around at about 5 kph now. That is roughly 3 mph.

I have been praying about this for about a week now already.
Posted By: dedication

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 10/09/16 06:21 AM

Hurricane Matthew shows hurricane destruction getting worse, the Caribbean Islands, and Southern East Coast of USA suffered the fury of extreme weather!

Haiti:
it now appears nearly 900 Haitians died in the storm and many more remain missing. More people are dying due to disease that is spreading in the wake of the destruction. Thousands of homes destroyed.

Haiti is still recovering from an awful earthquake in 2010 that left thousands dead and great destruction. Now this terrible hit by Hurricane Matthew has caused more great damage.

Bahamas and Cuba, Dominican Republic and St. Vincent and the Grenadines were hit.
Full statistics not found.

Hundreds of people had the roofs blown off their homes as Hurricane Matthew swept across Cuba, a Cuban state media reported, while photos from the seaside town of Baracoa showed devastation in the severe storm's wake.

More than 30 houses were washed away by the hurricane in the northeastern Cuban town,

Florida:
They consider themselves "lucky" as Hurricane Matthew did not hit them directly, yet it skimmed along Florida's coast, causing several hundred million dollars in damage and destruction. About 2.2 million households and businesses statewide were without power.

Georgia and N. Carolina:
The weakening storm inundated parts of Georgia and the Carolinas with severe coastal and inland flooding.
437,000 people had lost electricity in South Carolina.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 10/17/16 07:06 PM

Maybe true. Maybe not. Maybe a technicality.

Hurricanes travel a course. If there is something in the way, it gets destroyed. If it is not in the way, it survives. Some years, the line it draws crosses more things than other years. So any destruction of any particular year does not really indicate much of anything.

So destruction doesn't mean much. Strength may, and that has been getting less and less the last several years up to Matthew.

Now by increased destruction, if there could indeed be detected a tendency rather than a draw of the line, that could mean God is withdrawing protection.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 10/22/16 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: kland
Maybe true. Maybe not. Maybe a technicality.

Hurricanes travel a course. If there is something in the way, it gets destroyed. If it is not in the way, it survives. Some years, the line it draws crosses more things than other years. So any destruction of any particular year does not really indicate much of anything.

So destruction doesn't mean much. Strength may, and that has been getting less and less the last several years up to Matthew.

Now by increased destruction, if there could indeed be detected a tendency rather than a draw of the line, that could mean God is withdrawing protection.

(bold emphasis mine)

It's true storms take their course, but, the loss of life and livelihoods does matter.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 10/24/16 07:13 PM

Yes, but realize it's addressing a totally different issue.

One question is: Are hurricanes getting worse, is the weather getting more extreme?

The other question is: Are there more causalities, more property and life loss, is God withdrawing His protection?

Totally different questions.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 08/25/17 03:43 PM

Americans are going to take a turn once again, now, with Hurricane Harvey.

Current reports are that it may reach a Category 3 status (it's at Cat. 2 at present). I see evidence that it may grow to at least a Cat. 4. Tropical storms can strengthen quickly. But the major danger is not really the wind speeds--it's the rainfall. In my opinion it may actually dump less water if it reaches Cat. 5 status before making landfall. This is based on personal observations of typhoons that seem to pack maximum water at about Cat. 3 level. While I do not claim to understand fully the phenomenon, it seems almost as if the higher wind forces sort of ring out some of the moisture before carrying it overland. Thus, in my opinion, Harvey is positioning itself, if indeed it comes in as a Cat. 3 as most are predicting, for nearly maximum damage.

Forecast track and intensity can be followed here:

http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com/tracker/dynamic/201709N.html

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 08/25/17 05:47 PM

Fires are definitely getting worse on the west coast!

Last year, here in Canada, Alberta suffered from a huge fire that destroyed many homes.

This year British Columbia has been burning all summer in the worst fire season.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/largest-wildfire-1.4257021

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 08/26/17 04:13 AM

My prediction came true. No one else was predicting a Cat. 4. I've been watching these storms (typhoons) develop for years and have gotten to the point where my personal mental calculations/intuition seem to have greater accuracy than the computer models.

On the negative side, however, this storm strengthened while so near to making landfall that there is likely no benefit in losing any of its moisture at sea. At this point, Texas appears to be in for a real wetting. Inundations are likely.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 08/27/17 02:09 PM

Again, another historic event happening with regards to the weather. Parts of Texas have indeed received upwards of a couple of feet of rainfall already, with that much more still expected in the next couple of days. Houston is experiencing a worse flood than it has in recent memory--and it wasn't even in the direct path of the hurricane. Many cars are submerged, with reports being that the local bayous (canals?) are overflowing their banks by as much as ten feet or more. Hundreds of county roads are shut down, and countless city streets have been turned into rivers. The 911 call center is flooded with thousands of calls, to the point they are telling people only to call for life-and-death emergencies (such as if they are clinging to their rooftops amid rising flood waters).

The rains are still coming...and they expect this flooding to continue at least five days. With little else to compare to in modern history, news reporters increasingly seem to invoke the usage of "Biblical proportions" to describe the degree of these catastrophes.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 08/28/17 05:25 PM

Quote:
Houston is experiencing a worse flood than it has in recent memory

What about past memory?
Has a hurricane ever dumped this much water before?
Has Houston experienced more flooding before?

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 08/30/17 07:03 AM

Has a hurricane ever dumped this much water before?

I'm not too sure about "hurricanes," but if we broaden the definition to include all of the names of the same weather phenomenon, i.e. hurricanes, typhoons, and cyclones, then we can indeed see storms that have dropped more than Hurricane Harvey--much, much more, in fact.

Typhoon Morakot (2009) dropped 2.9 meters of water onto Taiwan. That's nearly 10 FEET of water--as compared to the predictions of Harvey possibly getting to half of that in the coming days. And Hyacinth (1980) sets the world record, with 5.7 METERS (>18 FEET) of rainfalldump.

So, put TWO "Harveys" into one single storm to equal Morakot--which, by the way, was only a Cat. 2 storm.

Again, based on personal experience with these storms, I would predict heavier rainfalls from mid-level storms than from the Cat. 5 superstorms.

References:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Morakot
http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com/tracker/dynamic/200909W.html

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 08/31/17 01:00 AM

I would agree, that while Harvey caused lots of destruction, and lots of people are in a bad way, Harvey is not an indication of worse weather than the past somehow indicating "the end".

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/04/17 06:54 AM

Hurricane Henry has devastated many lives. Economically it is considered as one of the worst.

Quote:
It is now being estimated that the total amount of economic damage caused by Hurricane Harvey will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 190 billion dollars. It is a disaster unlike anything that we have ever seen before in all of U.S. history, and federal officials are already admitting that they are literally going to be dealing with the aftermath of this storm for “years”. At this point, more than 100,000 homes have been destroyed, “up to one million vehicles” have been ruined, and many retailers have already been caught engaging in extreme price gouging. But this could be just the beginning, because this storm has already rendered many areas along the Gulf coast “uninhabitable” for an extended period of time, and as you will see at the end of this article another hurricane may be arriving early next month.

Hurricane season isn't over -- there is another one coming.

Some have predicted a super Hurricane in Hurricane Irma that Could Wipe Entire Cities Off The Map. However, other news reporters say its too early to predict and it might not hit the USA.

Maybe it's just that media coverage brings these things more into our awareness -- but it sure seems like these devastating storms are doing a lot more damage EVERY YEAR, then in times past.

There are so many people in difficulty.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/06/17 06:08 AM

Sad situation in southern states of America---
Texas is a high petrochemical producer -- lots of oil digging and refineries.
What happens when a hurricane comes and does major destruction in such an environment? It releases all manner of pollutants in the air and water systems.
Hurricane Harvey has caused tons of chemical pollutants to escape into the air, and has the potential of polluting the water system.
This holds serious hazards to health.

And what will happen this coming weekend as another monstrous hurricane heads toward the southern states????

As of 8:00 p.m. Sept. 5 The National Hurricane Center, US, confirms that Irma is a dangerous Category 5 hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 295 km/h (185 mph)

It will hit the Islands Wednesday -- then, the question is left open, will it turn on Florida? or head into the golf of Mexico?

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/07/17 05:40 AM

Posted last year 10/09/16
Originally Posted By: dedication
Hurricane Matthew shows hurricane destruction getting worse, the Caribbean Islands, and Southern East Coast of USA suffered the fury of extreme weather!

Haiti:
it now appears nearly 900 Haitians died in the storm and many more remain missing. More people are dying due to disease that is spreading in the wake of the destruction. Thousands of homes destroyed.

Haiti is still recovering from an awful earthquake in 2010 that left thousands dead and great destruction. Now this terrible hit by Hurricane Matthew has caused more great damage.

***Please pray for Haiti as Hurricane Irma approaches. They've already suffered so much in the past, pray that hurricane Irma by passes them!

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/07/17 06:42 AM

Hurricane Irma -- one of the strongest storms ever recorded in the Atlantic --
-- Irma has maintained intensity above 180 mph longer than any storm in Atlantic basin history.

-- At 9 p.m. ET, Irma's core was spinning about 55 miles north-northwest and moving away from San Juan, with maximum sustained winds of 185 mph.

-- Meanwhile, Jose, in the open Atlantic far to the southeast of Irma, became a hurricane. Katia, in the Gulf of Mexico, also became a hurricane.

Yes, terrible damage from extreme weather is definitely increasing.
There are millions of people right now facing some pretty awful times.

Those little islands in the Atlantic were hit terribly hard.
Florida has evacuation notices beginning tomorrow (Thursday) as it is likely they will receive a direct hit by Irma.

THIS SABBATH -- Sept. 9 a special offering will be taken across the North American Division of Seventh-day Adventist Churches for relief efforts of Adventist Community Services (ACS) in connection with ADRA to help those whose lives have been devastated by the hurricane.
We can all help!

Posted By: The Wanderer

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/09/17 09:55 AM

I will certainly be praying for all in harm's way.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/09/17 11:47 PM

Prayer is powerful.

This testimony given in church today.
The member has relatives living in Dominican Republic. Naturally there was great concern. The relatives prepared with water, food, blankets, but when they went to get plywood to cover their windows there was no more to be bought.

With the fear that the storm would blow out all their windows and wreck their home, they sent up earnest prayers and retreated to a safe area.
When the storm hit -- it was terrifying, the winds roaring with great fury, things flying through the air and crashing, yet their house was unscathed.

It was like an unseen hand decreed -- thus far and no further.
While prayers ascend for those afflicted, praises also ascend thankful for God's protection.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/10/17 02:17 AM

http://www.salon.com/2017/09/03/californ...y-a-dim-memory/

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/10/17 03:20 AM

There was considerable flooding in California last month --
may be a foretaste of another mega flood in that area in the near future.

Wasn't last year about this time when Louisiana had terrible flooding?
"Thousands of people in Louisiana lost everything"

We've been focusing mainly on America --

But what about Asia?

South Asia Flooding, killing thousands, crops decimated

More than 1200 people are believed to have been killed in massive floods and landslides that have rocked Bangladesh, India and Nepal. Millions suffered destruction to homes or complete lose of their homes.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/10/17 05:27 AM

https://news.adventist.org/en/all-news/n...t-world-church/

Sad that he did not include South Asia in his special message.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/11/17 07:47 AM

An 8.2 earthquake hit Mexico Thursday Sept. 7 killing at least 80, injuring many more, and flattening hundreds of homes in several small towns in the southern region.

In Mexico City the large population spent a terrifying night, watching buildings shake violently, but thankfully there was not too much major damage.

An 8.2 earthquake is a massive quake!
It has scientists worried that an 8.2 quake could also hit California.
However, in California such an earthquake would be far more deadly.

Mexico’s earthquake produced four times more energy than the great and destructive 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

Thursday’s earthquake occurred in the ocean off the Mexican coast and began about 450 miles from Mexico City — and it was relatively deep, starting about 43 miles under the surface.
So in Mexico the populated areas were a fair distance away from the quakes center.

But in Southern California, a magnitude 8.2 earthquake would rupture the San Andreas fault from the Salton Sea — close to the Mexican border — all the way to Monterey County. The fault would rupture through counties including Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino. There would be a lot of people right on top of it. It would be shallow, and it runs right under people's backyard.

Information source -- mainly from Los Angele's Times Sept.9,2017

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/12/17 08:19 PM

Economically.

It has meaning to money.
Not relevant to "worse weather".

Quote:
but it sure seems like these devastating storms are doing a lot more damage EVERY YEAR, then in times past.
Have you searched to see if there was a hurricane of the same degree in the past?

Or are you emphasizing "damage"? Meaning, as more and more people build more and more things, smaller hurricanes will do more economic "damage".

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/13/17 07:05 AM

Or are you emphasizing "damage"? Meaning, as more and more people build more and more things, smaller hurricanes will do more economic "damage".

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/09/08/hurricane-irma-florida-215586

Quote: The first Americans to spend much time in South Florida were the U.S. Army men who chased the Seminole Indians around the peninsula in the 1830s. And they hated it. Today, their letters read like Yelp reviews of an arsenic café, denouncing the region as a “hideous,” “loathsome,” “diabolical,” “God-abandoned” mosquito refuge.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/13/17 08:01 AM

It's not about "A" event, its about massive devastation of lives generated by MANY events in rapid succession, and seeing more of such events packed into each year.

And yes, this year quite a few of these events have, in their own way achieved record levels of power of destruction.

And yes, it's about shattering people's lives.
That "economic" damage, is personal damage, taking away everything you depended upon for a reasonable life -- your home, and everything in it, your mode of travel. You may think, it's just rich people and they can afford to lose their stuff, but the majority are poor people, struggling to make ends meet, who have lost everything.

God's protection is slowly being withdrawn from the earth.

According to the NCEI during the years 1980–2016 the annual average of extreme weather events was 5.5 events per year.

In America 2017 there have already been 12 major extreme weather events.

Hailstorms May and June some as big as baseballs! Severe enough to kill sheep and other small animals.
Severe flooding in Missouri, Arkansas and southern Illinois in the spring.
Flooding in California.
Two outbreaks of Tornados --Over 70 tornadoes developed during a widespread outbreak across many central and southern states causing significant damage.
Wildfires burning up the country side, destroying farms and threatening more homes. Nearly one million acres burned in Montana (and counting). People are losing their homes, their land, their livestock, their farms, etc... Smoke is so bad in many areas that people can't go outside. And Montana isn't the only state. Fires are very bad this year in the states and western Canada, and this has been going on for MONTHS.

An 8.2 earthquake off Mexico.

There have already been six named hurricanes this season: Franklin, Gert, Harvey, Irma, Jose and Katia.

Hurricane Harvey -- brought widespread flooding
Hurricane Irma -- wrecked extreme damage to several Caribbean Islands, and the Key islands, substantial damage to Florida, with flooding to the north of Florida.
Hurricane Jose is still churning in the Atlantic and may yet bring more flooding and destruction.

I think there were a lot of praying people in Florida, that they didn't suffer far worse damage than they did. It could have been far worse for them. Florida may owe much to the minority of earnestly praying citizenship,

Quote:
Were those who served God removed from the earth, and His Spirit withdrawn from among men, this world would be left to desolation and destruction, the fruit of Satan's dominion. Though the wicked know it not, they owe even the blessings of this life to the presence, in the world, of God's people

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/13/17 08:02 AM

"Fierce and awful tempests leave destruction and death in their wake. The devouring fire lays low the desolate forest and the crowded city. ... Hurricanes, earthquakes, sword and famine, follow in quick succession. Yet the hearts of men are hardened. They recognize not the warning voice of God. They will not flee to the only refuge from the gathering storm. {5T 234.1}

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/13/17 07:39 PM

Yes, I agree with that. And it does seem that past hurricanes have not killed as many and this past one is killing more. I don't know, I haven't seen the numbers, not sure how you could really compare the deaths today to that of 1924. If no one is living in an area that's devastated by a hurricane, does that count less than a tornado killing thousands? If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around, does it make a sound?

I had already mentioned about personal effects. But that's not what I'm talking about.

Please show some evidence of
"It's not about "A" event, its about massive devastation of lives generated by MANY events in rapid succession, and seeing more of such events packed into each year."

Talk is cheap. Evidence is hard. But if you are going to talk about extreme weather, about it "getting worse", then stay with evidence of weather, not emotion. Just the facts, ma'am.

Quote:

According to the NCEI during the years 1980–2016 the annual average of extreme weather events was 5.5 events per year.
From that, we know that before 1980, there may or may not have been worse weather. Why was the range used? Why were previous years not included unless something is being kept back, being hidden?

Is it as others have said, that that was all that was "conveniently available on the Internet"?
1980 was not the first hurricane ever, though it may have been the highest wind speed.

Quote:
People are losing their homes, their land, their livestock, their farms, etc...
Again, forget about economic damage. Do Indians losing a tepee not mean as much as someone today losing a mansion? That is not under debate. That is elitism. We are not talking about that. We are talking about weather, not what someone values as the economic loss.

If you're talking about weather being more extreme, show some evidence. You could start out by listing all hurricanes of category 5 or more and their years.

Would you agree that would be a reasonable thing to do, to list them and let people draw their own conclusions from the evidence rather than telling the people what conclusion they should believe without the evidence?

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/14/17 05:26 AM

Why are you so full of arguments?
Is it really life "as usual" and God is not calling us to " recognize the warning voice of God, so people will not flee to the only refuge from the gathering storm. {5T 234.1}

Yes, this is about people's lives being devastated and loosing the earthly securities -- it's not about mansions, but rather all the thousands of humble dwellings that have been destroyed by flood, high winds, fire and earthquake-- those driven from these humble dwellings are the ones that suffer the most -- no matter if it's black, white, red, brown or yellow skinned people -- the color of skin is NOT the issue, they are all PEOPLE. I posted we should not ignore the devastation of the floods and other events in Asia that are happening, -- if you really want facts, start digging and the see how millions are suffering.

The devastation of people's lives is the FACTS that signal God's protection being removed.

An earthquake off in the north pole that affects no one, even if it's completely off the scale as the most severe, really isn't much of an issue.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/14/17 04:47 PM

Dedication, you changed the premise. You're not talking about Extreme Weather getting worse. You're talking about people suffering more. Nothing about the intensity of the weather.

That's called bait and switch. A global warming tactic. Yes, it is a FACT that the price of eggs is higher in China. But that has nothing to do with weather intensity. I take it you are admitting that the weather hasn't changed, but more people are suffering from it.

It's like someone shoots a bullet across a football stadium. If no one is there, the risk factor is near 0. If it is packed with people, the risk factor is near 100. But the factors of shooting bullet have NOT changed.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/15/17 06:07 AM

Dedication, you changed the premise. You're not talking about Extreme Weather getting worse. You're talking about people suffering more.

Maybe you are just mixing up what I've said with what some others may have said.

I have not switched MY premise at all. It's been pretty consistent.

My first post on this thread:

Originally Posted By: dedication 10/09/16 12:21

In the next post I did comment on the ongoing fires in western Canada where I happen to live -- the threat and the reality of "getting burned out" does seem to be more major in the last few years. It is fact that 2017 was the worst fire season in my entire lifetime.

Originally Posted By: dedication 08/25/17 11:47 AM
Fires are definitely getting worse on the west coast!
Last year, here in Canada, Alberta suffered from a huge fire that destroyed many homes.
This year British Columbia has been burning all summer in the worst fire season since records have been kept
-- burning 900,000 hectares of land in BC alone. (That's 2,224,000 sq acres)

Another two million sq acres are burning in western USA.
One big difference this year is that it just goes on and on and on -- other years there's been fires but they didn't last like this.

My next post again addresses the "damage".

Originally Posted By: dedication 09/04/17 12:54 AM
Maybe it's just that media coverage brings these things more into our awareness -- but it sure seems like these devastating storms are doing a lot more damage EVERY YEAR, then in times past.

A few posts talked about flooding in Texas, and the wide spread economical damage. Irma coming across the Atlantic. Also the flooding in Asia leaving multitudes homeless.

Then I stated

Originally Posted By: dedication 09/07/17 12:42 AM
Yes, terrible damage from extreme weather is definitely increasing.
There are millions of people right now facing some pretty awful times.

So no, I have not switched my premise at all.

Yes, I'm talking about terrible damage from extreme weather, the damage is getting worse.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/15/17 07:05 AM

"The factors of shooting bullets"

Yes I think those factors may be changing as well.

The "aim" factor and the "hedge" factor.

Job 1:10 "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land.

God does place a hedge of protection around people to shield them from the attacks of the enemy. This hedge can only be removed by God’s permission.

So Hurricane Jose comes barreling across the Atlantic rising to category 5 level as it heads straight for the Islands already reeling from the assault of Hurricane Irma. But God blows the winds and Jose veers off into the Atlantic and the Islands are spared further destruction.

How many times has God weakened the storms so they do not hit with their full fury, or blown them away from populated areas? How many extreme weather storms have missed us because of that hedge of protection?

God’s hedge is not a hedge of stones or a hedge of plants; it’s a hedge of angels.

But inspiration says the angels are "loosening" their grip on the winds of strife. More of those winds are allowed through, more are hitting the "full stadium" rather than "empty stadiums", but the angels are still holding the majority of them back. I think we saw that in Florida last weekend -- had Irma hit Florida straight on in its full strength things would have been far, far worse.

The "aim" factor.
Satan delights in aiming those storms right into the center of heavy populated areas. He is highly frustrated with that "hedge".

Ps. 91:1 He that dwells in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
91:2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/18/17 08:06 PM

Dedication, you changed the premise. You're not talking about Extreme Weather getting worse. You're talking about people suffering more.

Maybe you are just mixing up what I've said with what some others may have said.

I have not switched MY premise at all. It's been pretty consistent.
Notice I didn't say you changed YOUR premise, but THE premise. Read the first few posts of this thread.

The premise was that God must be coming soon because the weather was getting worse. However, that has not been shown to be true.

In a nutshell, you are saying God must be coming soon because the population is getting greater.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/19/17 06:15 AM

When the storms reach the dimensions to come close to the catastrophes that took place about 4200 years ago -- it will be too late to seek refuge in Christ. The door to the "ark" will be "closed".

And no, if you read what I wrote, it's not about population getting greater. It's about God lifting the "hedge" of protection, and letting the storms through as people turn their backs on Him.

God can "still the storm" for a million people, just as readily as He 'stilled the storm" for the dozen or so boats on the sea of Galilee, about 2000 years ago.

You are talking about "intensity" levels of the storms.
I'm talking about the number of disasters and the area and populations affected.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/22/17 09:55 AM

It continues --
Another earthquake in Mexico. That's two major quakes in Mexico this month.

Another hurricane "Maria" decimates more Caribbean Islands.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/22/17 07:26 PM

It's about God lifting the "hedge" of protection, and letting the storms through as people turn their backs on Him.

Quote:
You are talking about "intensity" levels of the storms.
I'm talking about the number of disasters and the area and populations affected.

Title of thread: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes

Hmmmm. Would you say you are off topic?

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/24/17 04:44 AM

Many of the posts were on the present hurricanes, but yes it is broadening the topic.

Doesn't it mean anything when four powerful hurricanes cause massive destruction in the Atlantic in one season. With several smaller ones doing smaller damage.
Massive flooding resulting.
Combine that with two high level earthquakes roughly the same time.

And all you say -- "are you off topic"

2 Peter 3:3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers,...
3:4 saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as from the beginning

Isn't that what you've been saying through all the troubles hitting the world these last few months?

Isn't that a rather uncaring, everything is as usual attitude?

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/26/17 04:36 PM

Interesting. Not off topic, but "broadening the topic". smile Hope you remember that in the future....

Dedication, I'm talking about one topic and you're talking about another. To say I don't care, then to make the jump and compare me to scoffers, is not being honest.

Tell us about the hurricane season of 2005 and compare it to this one so far.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/27/17 01:22 AM

broadening the topic"
Yes, I hope she does remember that in the future... As another here also once said:
Originally Posted By: green
I didn't change the subject, I added to the subject.
Early on in this thread I asked about the cause of increased storms, and was told I was off topic. Then this comment:
So is God the cause or Satan, or??? How is extreme weather a sign of the times?

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/27/17 06:15 AM

What causes the 'extreme weather"?

I would say it dates back to Noah's time. Before the flood storms seem not to have existed. The early earth after creation is nowhere pictured as a place of fiery volcanoes, howling cyclones, violent earthquakes, or even rain, let alone ice or snow!
Earth possessed a uniform sub-tropical climate. There is evidence that palm trees grew near the north pole!

No storms --
Then suddenly a storm so terrible it destroyed everything!

Something drastic happened to Earth at the flood -- it changed things completely, and set in motion the wind, hot and cold currents, the seasons, very cold and very hot temperature shifts across the earth.

This brought storms, -- cyclones, hurricanes, tornadoes, are all the result of hot and cold meeting and causing fierce winds.

At the time of the flood what happened?

A rather dramatic tilt of the earth.
The earth's plates were broken and shifted as "fountains of the great deep" (Gen 7:11) came gushing out of the earth. Water fell from a sky that had never rained water before?!!!

At this time immense forests were buried. These have since been changed to coal, oil.

After the flood, Earthquakes were frequent, as archeologists are discovering.

Volcanoes erupted, (possibly shortly after the flood, or even during the flood) at a magnitude earth has never again experienced.

The huge number of volcanoes erupting following the flood probably set in motion the great ice age that covered about a third of earth's land masses for a few hundred years.

We are living on a RUINED planet!

Now you can argue -- who caused the flood?

One thing I do know --
God knew it would happen.
God let it happen, to wipe the intense evil off the earth.
2 Peter 3:5 " "By the word of God . . . the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished"

But back to the question

Since the flood the world has had storms.
The years following the flood the earth was still convulsing from the after effects.

We haven't seen ANYTHING like what was going on back then as far as storms, -- especially volcanoes, and earthquakes.
There was even a wind, according to inspiration that broke off the tops of mountains and threw rocks everywhere --
"A violent wind which was caused to blow for the purpose of drying up the waters, moved them with great force, in some instances even carrying away the tops of the mountains and heaping up trees, rocks, and earth...piling earth and rocks upon these treasures, and in some cases even forming mountains above them. (PP 107)

CONCLUSION--

No, the increase in storms in the last decade or so, are not the worst storms in the history of earth. We haven't seen anything like what happened 4000 or so years ago.

What causes storms --
The changed conditions after the flood -- the cold/hot movements of air and water, the broken earth.

God's hands are holding this earth together.
All our blessings come from Him!
He places a hedge around people, that can only be removed when He allows it.
And yes, satan and his hosts, do much to make the most of earth's destructive forces.

As we see the storms hitting the earth we are to remember
Noah's day.

Study Genesis 6-7 and Patriarchs and Prophets chapters seven and eight.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/28/17 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: APL
So is God the cause or Satan, or??? How is extreme weather a sign of the times?
Yes, before the topic was "broadened", if there was extreme weather, that could be debated as to whether it was a sign of the times. However, I'm maintaining that no one has demonstrated that the weather is any more extreme than in the past. It's a global warming artifact fabrication for an agenda.

But that is interesting, that sometimes it's God causes pain and suffering and then other times His protection is being withdrawn. Different people, but their ideas seem to converge and depart depending upon the present discussion.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/30/17 03:31 AM

Quote:
The huge number of volcanoes erupting following the flood probably set in motion the great ice age that covered about a third of earth's land masses for a few hundred years.

Where in the Bible is there a hint that there was an ice age?

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 09/30/17 07:58 AM

Abundant evidence has been found for continental glaciation. That there was an ice age is pretty much fact.

The ice did not cover the whole earth, it only covered most all of Canada and down into the Northern States. Over in Europe-Asia -- Scandinavian countries and northern Russia were heavily affected, but it did not reach the Mesopotamian valley and Egypt, and that's where the Bible stories took place.
For them they probably just had a little colder winters, and snow on the tops of mountains.

However, Job, does give that "hint" that there was an ice age, which rendered Palestine colder than it is now.

In Job 38:29–30, it says, “From whose womb comes the ice? And the frost of heaven, who gives it birth? The waters harden like stone, and the surface of the deep is frozen.”
It's unlikely this is talking about the glaciers of the ice age itself, it's more likely Job would have observed frost and thick ice on lakes and seas during winter in Palestine, due to temperatures being colder because of the Ice Age.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 10/02/17 05:03 PM

I believe Palestine gets down to -4C in current times. That would be enough to speak of frost and ice on water without implying an ice age.

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 10/02/17 11:13 PM

In fact, prior to Harvey and Irma, the United States “was in a 12-year hurricane drought,” he wrote. “More importantly, the average number of hurricanes per decade reaching landfall in the U.S. has fallen over the past 160 years.”
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/...climate-change/

Re: Extreme Weather: Typhoons/Hurricanes/Cyclones, and Tornadoes - 10/23/17 05:45 PM

What to make of all these storms?

Well, if man is contributing, it's not with CO2.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church