Winter-Time Seed Orders & Garden Dreams

Posted By: Edward F Sutton

Winter-Time Seed Orders & Garden Dreams - 12/01/00 11:55 AM

Now the time approaches to begin going through favorite catalogues and web sites to begin buying / planning for next seasons gardens and flowers and such.

What are your favorite catalogues(with URL's) and gardening supply websites? Please post here and I will check them out.

How about a star rating system? Gardeners of the Forums unite - lets co-laborate and create our own stars or some kind of coded rating systems; and who ever that month sends in the best or most popular catalogue or gardening URL's has a feature done on their gardens with small thumb nail digital pictures of their gardens.

We would all vote on the catalogues & gardening URL's, and thanks to articles and pictures - share in each others gardening joy. Also we need to recruit more gardeners onto this forum, would the Nature & Bird Watchers and Recipes be interested in this too it is an open invitation to share across forums if ways could be suggested if this sounds favorable? Nature & Birds & Recipes & gardens are all joyously wrapped up in real life anyhow, so it seemed to suggest it.

This is not suggesting a sheep stealing of forums. It is simply a request for, fragrance from the flowers, songs of the birds, loveliness from the beauties of nature, a sharing of good things from the gardens, and luscious smells from the kitchens, and shared joy and rejoicing among the families of forums as we share our best among all who wish to partake. Even the lurkers are welcome.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Posted By: Linda Sutton

Re: Winter-Time Seed Orders & Garden Dreams - 01/01/01 08:50 AM

Johnny's Selected Seeds catalog came in yesterday and I was having a feast looking at it last night. They have a lot of medicinal herbs in additions to the veges, fruits, and flowers, in their new catalog. They state that they do not knowingly sell any genetically modified seeds. They do sell some hybrid seeds but hybrids and not the same as GMO. Now if I just had a nice large garden plot to plant in come spring. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/

I added the URL (Ed)

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited January 02, 2001).]

Re: Winter-Time Seed Orders & Garden Dreams - 01/01/01 06:31 PM

I online ordered two Doyle Blackberry plants & a growing instruction video. One plant at optimum yields 20 gallons - yes 20 gallons. Not quarts - 20 gal's The secrets in the prunning and lateral growth - the berries grow in bunches of 40-100 (big)berries at a time. It's been around for 30 yrs & thornless too.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited January 01, 2001).]

Re: Winter-Time Seed Orders & Garden Dreams - 03/05/01 11:13 AM

Update on those blackberries. Here's the URL to contact the USA supplier.
http://www.fruitsandberries.com/

They are grown somewhat like grapes but on a sturdier trellis system, prune the main lateral canes at about 12-15 feet of growth to produce horizontal runners. This sets the growth for fruit buds. No thorns. But if no pruning, no fruit & the vines grow to 50+ feet with only a few leaves.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: Winter-Time Seed Orders & Garden Dreams - 03/22/02 10:57 AM

Well it's March 2002 & Spring is supposed to be here. In Ohio that's a big joke. None the less I ordered seeds from this excellent Tomato/Pepper/Eggplant seed company.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com

I have already gotten the seeds, now I need to get the 24" x 48" propagation mat & thermostat & extra grow light.

More later, happy basement growing .

Re: Winter-Time Seed Orders & Garden Dreams - 04/30/02 03:06 AM

Well since that last post, lots of peppers & tomatos are sprouting.

Lets see there is, (Tomatos)
Climbing Triple-L-Crop, Abraham Lincoln(original), Giant Belgium, Mexico, Goliath, Green Zebra [not planted yet]. All sprouting or up one finger tall but too little for permenant style leaves yet .

(Peppers)
Giant Marconi Hybrid, Giant Aconcagua, Fooled You Hybrid {no heat Jalapeno}, Pimento L, Cubanelle, Chilly Chili Hybrid [not yet planted], Sweet Cayenne [no heat Cayenne] [out of stock - never got any seed].

[ April 29, 2002: Message edited by: Edward F Sutton ]

Re: Winter-Time Seed Orders & Garden Dreams - 05/12/02 11:59 AM

Tomatoes & Peppers are along with flowers getting planted little by little. Hope they do well. The weather is still so up & down.

=========

Icon edit correction only. [Smile]

[ May 28, 2002, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]
Posted By: BELLE

Re: Winter-Time Seed Orders & Garden Dreams - 06/07/02 06:20 AM

My garden is too small to need a catalogue. I bought 6 asparagus roots from WalMart (believe it) in the spring and put them down near the 2 feet they suggested. It has taken over a month for them to poke through that far I am sure due to the cool weather.

I have spinach up, though,and onion sets started and string beans and sugar snap peas in a ring. That is the best way to grow them as they climb very high. I put a few twigs (skinny limbs) around touching at the centre and they all grow on them like a Teepee.
I heard about that on the radio by a mother with small kids who would go inside the teepee but my kids are too big for that tomfollery!

I put in some Bonny Best tomato seeds but don't know if the weather will be kind to them. I think I do better with flowers.

Re: Winter-Time Seed Orders & Garden Dreams - 06/07/02 02:16 PM

The ring culture sounds like a great idea. I didn't know WalMart sold asparagus plants, I'll have to check that out. Thanks.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church