How Plants Survived the Winter

Posted By: Andrew Marttinen

How Plants Survived the Winter - 05/22/01 10:42 PM

I was pleasantly shocked to find the passion flower near our front door already coming up in May. People living to the south of us say they don't see anything until June--and then the passion flowers spring up everywhere, especially they're not planted!

Our holly sustained the least damage of any holly bushes on our block (the one at our church was almost all dead). It had many white flowers this spring and now is growing many fresh leaves.

Just before the Victoria Day weekend, we planted a rhododendron--and our neighbours planted an almost identically-sized bush a few days later.

I tend to like plants that are on the northernmost edge of their range. I'm sure we could grow needle palms or some other frost-hardy varieties in Chatham, Ontario.

I'd love to try it, but no-one seems to have them in their nurseries. I noticed that Windsor, Ontario has some palms growing downtown between lanes of several of their main streets.

Oh well, these are some of the things I think of when it's raining too hard here to do anything outside...

------------------
Be glad for all God is planning for you. Be patient in trouble, and always be prayerful. Rom. 12:12 NLT

Posted By: Edward F Sutton

Re: How Plants Survived the Winter - 05/23/01 04:29 PM

My Jamacian Red bananas died of too much watering & to cool in the basement. So supposedly annuals reseeded themselves & I hope they do well.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Posted By: Gerry Buck

Re: How Plants Survived the Winter - 07/19/01 09:29 PM

This is a little late, but, when is the best time to plant/transplant rose bushes?

How about planting rhubarb?
And another one is Blue Spruce.
What do they need and how do you keep them going until they are firmly established in their new 'home'?

Gerry

Posted By: Linda Sutton

Re: How Plants Survived the Winter - 07/30/01 08:07 PM

Gerry, here's a source with info about rhubarb.

http://gardening.sierrahome.com/encyc/DisplayPlant?PlantId=4302

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church