An Enemy Caused This

Posted By: Tom

An Enemy Caused This - 01/17/06 04:27 AM

quote:
"Not one noxious plant was placed in the Lord's great garden, but after Adam and Eve sinned, poisonous herbs sprang up. In the parable of the sower the question was asked the Master, "Didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? how then hath it tares?" The Master answered, "An enemy hath done this." All tares are sown by the evil one. Every noxious herb is of his sowing, and by his ingenious methods of amalgamation he has corrupted the earth with tares (MS 65, 1899) [published in F. D. Nichol, Ellen G. White and Her Critics]. {1BC 1086.2}
How far-reaching is this principle? Does it only apply to noxious herbs?
Posted By: Will

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/17/06 07:06 AM

What determines a weed noxious or not?
God Bless,
Will

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/17/06 08:36 AM

If it's poisonous.
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/17/06 09:46 AM

Poisonous to humans or poisonous to any animal aswell (cocoa)? Poisonous to all humans or only to some humans (wheat, nuts)? What about the plants who bring medication in just the right amounts while bringing sure death in to large amounts? And what about flowering plants such as orchideae who look quite good but most likely are indigestible? Also if these plants that are poisonous to humans where to be killed, they would likely take groups of insects and birds and maybe mamals with them into extinction. So what really is an obnoxious plant?

/Thomas
Posted By: Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/17/06 05:41 PM

Thomas there you go, asking unanswerable questions [Smile]

I've always heard that the definition of a weed is a plant that grows where you don't want it to, like volunteer corn in a wheat field. A noxious weed is another story, maybe it's something that would cause sickness when eaten by anything.

Of course there are plants that are not poisonous that man makes poisonous, like grapes being made into wine. And then like Thomas points out there are poisonous plants that we make good drugs out of. Then there are poppy plants that can be used to make both good and bad drugs.

But what Mrs. White must have been talking about was any plant that is somehow harmful or undesirous where it is, either because it is poisonous or because it's not where we wish it to be, like tares in crops.

Can tares be a reference to humans as well? Of course. There are many of us that are like noxious weeds, we are where we should not be, or we poison the church and people in general. Are we wheat or tares? Maybe this is a question we should ask ourselves everyday. Are we a positive influence to the world or a negative one. The age old conflict between good and evil, God and Satan, right within our hearts.

Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/17/06 05:43 PM

When sin came into the world, things changed. There were changes in the plant kingdom, and among humans as well. To take wheat as an example, it could be some flaw in wheat that causes a problem for humans, or some problem in humans, or some combination. It really doesn't matter as far as the question I'm asking is concerned.

The principle brought out by the Spirit of Prophecy is that God did not create the noxious herbs, but an enemy did this. That is, Satan instigated changes to the plant kingdom designed to do bad things: to cause suffering, sickness and death.

Does this principle extend to other areas? Say, the animal kingdom, for example.
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/17/06 08:33 PM

I believe Satan caused all of the sinful changes that have occurred in our world - plants and animals and diseases. He is constantly tweaking the forces of nature to distort things. However, he isn't at liberty to do whatever he pleases. God is in control. He cannot break the rules God has outlined, that is, he cannot go beyond the boundaries of God's plan.

Yes, God's plan includes the good, the bad, and the ugly. The torture and death of Jesus is evidence that God's plan includes things that, on the surface, seem bad and ugly. But the fact is - the life and death of Jesus is a wonderful thing, it demonstrates the love of God like nothing else can. The same is true of all the seemingly "bad and ugly" things that God has caused Himself or has permitted the Devil to cause.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/17/06 08:45 PM

Most likely it is a change in humans that caused weeds, after all, it is only a human that would call sweet corn a weed simply for growing in a barley field. The substance in wheat that causes intestine problems in some people is used by others to prepear delicious food. A plant that can cause almost instant death in some people is one that is the main ingredient in what I heard is one of Americas favourite foods. A nut alergic could die in an hour or less by eating even trace amounts of peanuts, which of course is the main ingredient in peanut butter.

I think Redfog is right saying that the parable refers to humans.

/Thomas

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/17/06 09:18 PM

So far, only MM is addressing the issues I had in mind. However, any comments or discussions are good. I like the application to people. Surely this is primarily what Jesus had in mind in saying the parable.

quote:
I believe Satan caused all of the sinful changes that have occurred in our world - plants and animals and diseases. He is constantly tweaking the forces of nature to distort things.
I agree. I cannot think of any evil that is not traceable to him.

quote:
However, he isn't at liberty to do whatever he pleases. God is in control. He cannot break the rules God has outlined, that is, he cannot go beyond the boundaries of God's plan.
This is a very odd way of wording this, IMO. It implies that somehow Satan is doing what God had planned, which is of course absurd. God does not desire sickness, suffering or death; only Satan does. Satan can only do what God allows; that is true. "Allows" is the word that should be used. Definately not "plan".

quote:
Yes, God's plan includes the good, the bad, and the ugly.
No, God's plan includes only the good. God allows evil, because He created beings with free will. But "plan" means something different. "Plan" implies design, intent. God did not intend that his creatures should sin.

quote:
The torture and death of Jesus is evidence that God's plan includes things that, on the surface, seem bad and ugly.
If "includes" here means "incorporates", or "takes into account," then I agree. If it has the connotation of design or intent, then I disagree.

quote:
But the fact is - the life and death of Jesus is a wonderful thing, it demonstrates the love of God like nothing else can.
Amen!

quote:
The same is true of all the seemingly "bad and ugly" things that God has caused Himself or has permitted the Devil to cause.
I agree with this too, with the caveat that God does no bad things. By "bad" I mean things that are bad in and of themsevles, as opposed to things that would be called bad if anyone else but God had done them.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/18/06 02:21 AM

But how do you determine which things are inherently and objectively bad, ugly, noxious, evil etc? Is our view really anything but subjective as in, this hurts me, therefore it is bad, ugly, noxious.. Like the things that plauged israel when they turned from God in biblical days. Subjectively, the rain not falling, the insects eating that which managed to grow, the raiding neighbouring nations who came to steal and kill where bad, noxious and yes, evil. But objectively, didnt those things happen to catch the peoples attention?

/Thomas

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/18/06 08:06 AM

They didn't happen to catch the people's attention. They happened because bad people did bad things.

The objective standard of evil is the law of God, or, better yet, the life and character of Jesus Christ.

Bad things are things which cause sickness, suffering and death. It's true that now that sin has entered into the world, things are complicated. For example, one farmer prays for rain while another needs sun just a couple of miles away. However, if we ponder how these things started, that is, how the bad things came into being when there were only good things, it may help us to better understand the solution.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/18/06 06:31 PM

Let me mention two specific things that came to my mind when I posted this thread: the animal kingdom and natural disasters.

God did not design that animals should kill each other. Yet after sin, we see that killing is a part of nature. Animals are designed to kill. How did they get that way? Did God change them? Or has an enemy done this as well?

Similar question for natural disasters. Early Christians viewed these things as the result of evil forces. This view died out first due to Augustine's influence, and then with the enlightenment, with God being the God of the gaps. That is, God was seen as responsible for whatever could not be explained scientifically. But as science explained more and more, God was seen as doing less and less.

With Augustine the role of evil beings slipped in importance, because of the teaching that nothing happens which is not God's will. If only God's will comes to pass, then evil beings become pawns in God's hands.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/18/06 06:36 PM

Tom, how much latitude and freedom does Satan have to cause disease and destruction? Does God have any say in what Satan can and cannot do?
Posted By: Darius

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/18/06 09:26 PM

Where do we get the justification to claim that God did not create the carnivores with the type of teeth and digestive system they now have that are clearly designed to digest meat? Let us not repeat the mistake the church made 500 years ago when it demonstrated that it did not understand the creation when it insisted that the earth was the center of the universe. To suggest that all animals were herbivores but the devil changed some to carnivores borders, in my mind, on an insult to the majestic creation of the God I serve. Will we now suggest that Satan loved the herbivores more than he did the carnivores?

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/18/06 11:58 PM

quote:
Tom, how much latitude and freedom does Satan have to cause disease and destruction? Does God have any say in what Satan can and cannot do?
This isn't the issue. The issue is who causes the disease and destruction. Clearly God is more powerful than Satan, so Satan can only do what God allows. There's no question about that.

Actually the how much latitude and freedom question is an interesting one because if God were to curtail Satan's freedom too much, then Satan would have grounds to complain that he wasn't allowed the opportunity to demonstrate that his ways were superior to God's. Just observing things makes it clear that God has given Satan tremendous freedom and latitude; so much so that many question God's existence. OTOH, God actually does protect us in more ways that we can imagine.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/19/06 12:00 AM

quote:
Will we now suggest that Satan loved the herbivores more than he did the carnivores?
Sorry, I'm not following this. What's the reasoning behind this question.

The quote I provided demonstrates that Satan caused a new order in the vegetable kindgom. God created only "good" plants, not poisonous, destructive plants. I'm asking if we could draw a similar conclusion in the animal kingdom.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/19/06 12:28 AM

Changing only what animals eat wont account for the difference. Ask the australians what happends when you let out rabbits with plenty of food and no predation. Whoever made foxes and eagles eat rabbits must at the same time have made the rabbits much much more reproductive. You cannot change only one factor in anything real and say that the change accounts for all the difference.

What is the risk of simplistic ideas in this ecology discussion?

/Thomas

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/19/06 03:33 AM

Whatever bad things you want to mention, are they not explainable by sin? Did God design anything of these things to work incorrectly? Did things change with the fall?

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/19/06 05:17 AM

We know there was a literal 7 day creation week and after that week there was no death on the earth so obviously the animals were not carnivores at that point. Now what happened after the fall we can only speculate on, but God must have either modified the animals or allowed Satan to do so. I expect that it was the former, I just can't believe God would allow Satan to make that drastic of a change. Now if we were to believe that God used evolution to create , (which of course does away with nearly all our Judeo/Christian beliefs), then yes the carnivores and prey could have evolved together which makes much more sense, but of course we know that did not happen. I can't wait to get to heaven and go back in time to view the Creation week and have my questions answered.

Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/19/06 08:30 PM

Amalgamation accounts for all of the changes that distorted God's original creation. Satan was responsible for some of the changes, and mankind is responsible for some of it.

2 SM 288
All tares are sown by the evil one. Every noxious herb is of his sowing, and by his ingenious methods of amalgamation he has corrupted the earth with tares. {2SM 288.2}

3 SG 64
But if there was one sin above another which called for the destruction of the race by the flood, it was the base crime of amalgamation of man and beast which defaced the image of God, and caused confusion everywhere. God purposed to destroy by a flood that powerful, long-lived race that had corrupted their ways before him. He would not suffer them to live out the days of their natural life, which would be hundreds of years. {3SG 64.1}

3 SG 75
Every species of animal which God had created were preserved in the ark. The confused species which God did not create, which were the result of amalgamation, were destroyed by the flood. Since the flood there has been amalgamation of man and beast, as may be seen in the almost endless varieties of species of animals, and in certain races of men. {3SG 75.2}

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/19/06 11:00 PM

I agree with MM's comment, except the term "amalgamation" is usually more limited in scope than what our issue is concerning. That is, I agree with MM's comment, and believe it applies in a broader scope than "amalgamation" would suggest.

quote:
Now what happened after the fall we can only speculate on, but God must have either modified the animals or allowed Satan to do so. I expect that it was the former, I just can't believe God would allow Satan to make that drastic of a change.
I can't conceive of God modifying animals in any negative way. This seems completely wrong to me. I'll explain two reason why.

First of all, the Great Controversy is about demonstrating the differences of two ways of doing things; God's way, and the way of sin. If God makes modifications to impact what happens when His way is rejects, that's not fair. Satan and sin has to be allowed to show what he/it does. If God does things in Satan's name, that would not be cricked (OTOH, Satan does do many things in God's name, but Satan is a liar, so that's OK, so to speak).

Secondly, such an action would be contrary to God's character. The Spirit of Prophecy was careful to clarify God's character viz a viz the plant kingdom. I can't imagine God was act differently in the animal kingdom than in the plant kingdom.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/20/06 01:43 AM

What about the serpent of Genesis 3:14 quoted below?

quote:

Gen 3:14
And Jehovah God said to the serpent, Because you have done this you are cursed more than all cattle, and more than every animal of the field. You shall go upon your belly, and you shall eat dust all the days of your life.
Doesn't this verse show that God modified the serpent's physical make-up?

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/20/06 01:48 AM

My previous post was on God modifying an animal of the animal kingtdom.

The following two verses deal with a change in the plant kingdom:

quote:

Gen 3:17
And to Adam He said, Because you have listened to the voice of your wife and have eaten of the tree, of which I commanded you, saying, You shall not eat of it! The ground is cursed for your sake. In pain shall you eat of it all the days of your life.

Gen 3:18 It shall also bring forth thorns and thistles to you, and you shall eat the herb of the field.

God said that thistles and thorns would spring up out of the ground, therefore, didn't God do that Himself?

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/20/06 03:08 AM

quote:
God said that thistles and thorns would spring up out of the ground, therefore, didn't God do that Himself?

One should bear in mind in reading Scripture that God often presents Himself as doing that which He permits. For example:

quote:
And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died. (Numbers 21:6)
We have this quote from the Spirit of Prophecy which confirms that God acted as one would expect Him to given a familiarity with His character:

quote:
"Not one noxious plant was placed in the Lord's great garden, but after Adam and Eve sinned, poisonous herbs sprang up. In the parable of the sower the question was asked the Master, "Didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? how then hath it tares?" The Master answered, "An enemy hath done this." All tares are sown by the evil one. Every noxious herb is of his sowing, and by his ingenious methods of amalgamation he has corrupted the earth with tares (MS 65, 1899) [published in F. D. Nichol, Ellen G. White and Her Critics]. {1BC 1086.2}
God allowed these things to happen, but He didn't cause them. None of the evil which exists in the world was caused or is caused by God.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/20/06 04:49 AM

Then I guess we could say that the devil cooperates with God when it is in his best interest to do so.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/20/06 05:42 AM

So the thought here is that Satan and sinful man caused all the negative changes? What do you call a negative change? Lets take canines, were there canines before the fall? Were they changed through amalgamation into carnivores? Or is it not possible that God realized that in this sinful world that certain animals would need something to hold their population in check therefore He changed the canine plant eater into the wolf that we know today? As far as the different breeds of dogs we can document, to some extent, that man bred them from wild dogs, wolves, coyotes etc to what we know today but that did not change them into a different specie. They still have the traits of a wild canine to some degree, they are carnivores, (or Purina-vores), they have the pack mentality, they mark their territory etc. Because something kills something else does not make the act evil, otherwise we would all be evil, as would God.

Just asking questions, for which I have no answers.

Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/20/06 12:36 PM

Intellectual honesty must be the hallmark of the child of God. It is impossible for animals and humans to have any sort of amalgamation It does not matter who said it. God created his world the way He wanted it to operate. It does not matter that David decided that the earth is fixed this is not the way it was made. The earth has never been fixed so David was in error on that point. Every plant on earth was created by God. Poppies have always had the stuff of heroin in them. The coca plant has always had the stuff of cocaine. When will we stop attributing to the devil the power of creation?

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/20/06 02:19 PM

Quoted earlier
quote:
3 SG 75
Every species of animal which God had created were preserved in the ark. The confused species which God did not create, which were the result of amalgamation, were destroyed by the flood. Since the flood there has been amalgamation of man and beast, as may be seen in the almost endless varieties of species of animals, and in certain races of men. {3SG 75.2}

This is something one would have expected to read in the writings of race scientists from the 20-30ies, the kind of statements that led to the nazis deliberate effort to purge europe of these "lesser races of men". If you doubt this, ask yourself the question, which "race" of man is less a man than you are?

Secoundly, who is to say which traits in nature around us are to be called evil? Is a peanut evil when killing a person? Is a nettle evil when giving you an itch for touching it? Is your house cat evil when it eats a mouse? Is the mouse evil when it eats the cheese you left on the kitchen table over the night? Is a mold evil when affecting your bread? Remember that without any molds anything that died in the forest would just remain where it fell till someone removed or ate it or a forest fire consumed it. Doesnt the concept of evil require intent? If what you are saying requires a presin world where nothing from the least bacteria to humans died, you are not talking about any minor or simple changes in nature, you are talking about a recreation or possibly about unleached darwinian evolution.
Its just not a minor thing that last years gras must die for this springs flowers to have room to set seeds and grow up.

/Thomas

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/20/06 04:33 PM

We are treading on some of the most controversial passages, ( Amalgamation of man and beast) in the writings of Mrs. White. Here is a link to the explanation as presented by the White Estate: http://www.whiteestate.org/issues/faq-unus.html#unusual-section-c1

Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/20/06 06:52 PM

God brought one pair of each of the original unclean animals and seven pairs of each of the original clean onto the ark. The “confused species” that He did not create were destroyed. Given the size of the ark it makes sense to me that there were not very many original species of animals.

Also, Adam named all of the original species in a portion of one day before Eve was created. Again, given the time allowed to name them it makes sense to me that there were not very many original species of animals. There wasn't enough time to name more than a few animals in the time Adam was allowed to name them.

The “almost endless varieties of species” that now exist are the result of amalgamation and/or years and years of cross breeding either naturally or manmade. They were not part of the far smaller number of species that God originally created and then preserved in the ark.

Death was never part of God's plan, thus, none of the animals He created were especially equipped to kill other animals or to tear their flesh or to digest flesh for food. All animals, including "carnivores", could survive on a vegetarian diet, flesh is not necessasry. This is true today, and was even more true just after the Fall of man (before the Flood). The "curse" did not immediately change the world, it took time to change, and did not really happen until after the Flood.

When God cursed the serpent, when He changed it to crawl on its belly, instead of fly through the air, He was making a point. He wasn't being mean or cruel to serpents. It, like the rainbow, was to be a perpetual sign that sin is devastating. The role of serpents, cursed to crawl on their bellies, is a privilege. They remind us to abide in Jesus.

3SG 75

BTW, this quote is not implying that Sister White was a “racist”. She did not mean to imply that blacks or dark skinned people are the result of apes and men amalgamating. To conclude such a thing based on this quote is absurd. Please read the link Redfog posted.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 07:04 AM

MM, I respect your speculative rationalizations but that is all they are.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 07:18 AM

Here is some of what Sister White wrote about the curse:

quote:
All nature is confused; for God forbade the earth to carry out the purpose He had originally designed for it. Let there be no peace to the wicked, saith the Lord. The curse of God is upon all creation. Every year it makes itself more decidedly felt (MS 76a, 1901). {1BC 1085.5}

The first curse was pronounced upon the posterity of Adam and upon the earth, because of disobedience. The second curse came upon the ground after Cain slew his brother Abel. The third most dreadful curse from God, came upon the earth at the Flood (4SG 121). {1BC 1085.6}

The Lord's curse is upon the earth, upon man, upon beast, upon the fish in the sea, and as transgression becomes almost universal the curse will be permitted to become as broad and as deep as the transgression (Letter 59, 1898). {1BC 1085.9}

The curse is increasing as transgression increases (Letter 22, Feb. 13, 1900). {1BC 1086.1}

Those who honored and feared to offend God, at first felt the curse but lightly; while those who turned from God and trampled upon his authority, felt the effects of the curse more heavily, especially in stature and nobleness of form. {3SG 60.2}

The curse did not change at once the appearance of the earth. It was still rich in the bounty God had provided for it. There was gold and silver in abundance. The race of men then living were of very great stature, and possessed wonderful strength. {3SG 61.2}

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 07:30 AM

quote:
Then I guess we could say that the devil cooperates with God when it is in his best interest to do so.
I'm not sure what this is in reference to, but the devil never cooperates with God really. He may appear to, but he is a liar. He does whatever he thinks will work the best to achieve his ends, which are to promote his agenda of self. His primary means is to misrepresent God's character, and a chief way he does this is by causing evil and then blaiming God for it.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 07:30 AM

I do not believe the earth, when it came forth from the hand and voice of God, was equipped to survive sin. I do not believe God designed it especially to host sin, to accommodate sin. No! Instead, it makes more sense to me to believe that God modified everything or unnaturally sustains everything to survive sin long enough to allow Jesus to win the great controversy on our behalf. Otherwise, nothing would have survived the first sin long enough to slowly, gradually die or decay. Everything and everyone (Adam and Eve) would have been destroyed immediately.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 07:35 AM

quote:
Death was never part of God's plan, thus, none of the animals He created were especially equipped to kill other animals or to tear their flesh or to digest flesh for food. All animals, including "carnivores", could survive on a vegetarian diet, flesh is not necessasry. This is true today, and was even more true just after the Fall of man (before the Flood). The "curse" did not immediately change the world, it took time to change, and did not really happen until after the Flood.
Well said.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 07:46 AM

Here is some of what Sister White wrote about death and how God sustains things:

quote:
Christ never planted the seeds of death in the system. Satan planted these seeds when he tempted Adam to eat of the tree of knowledge which meant disobedience to God (MS 65, 1899) [published in F. D. Nichol, Ellen G. White and Her Critics]. {1BC 1082.5}

Adam listened to the words of the tempter, and yielding to his insinuations, fell into sin. Why was not the death penalty at once enforced in his case?--Because a ransom was found. God's only begotten Son volunteered to take the sin of man upon Himself, and to make an atonement for the fallen race. {1BC 1082.6}

God forbears, for a time, the full execution of the sentence of death pronounced upon man. {1BC 1085.4}

Christ, in counsel with His Father, instituted the system of sacrificial offerings; that death, instead of being immediately visited upon the transgressor, should be transferred to a victim which should prefigure the great and perfect offering of the son of God (Ibid., March 14, 1878). {1BC 1104.5}

But a plan was devised that the sentence of death should rest upon a substitute. In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man's sin. {1BC 1086.7}

The Lord has given His life to the trees and vines of His creation. His word can increase or decrease the fruit of the land. If men would open their understanding to discern the relation between nature and nature's God, faithful acknowledgments of the Creator's power would be heard. Without the life of God, nature would die. His creative works are dependent on Him. He bestows life-giving properties on all that nature produces. We are to regard the trees laden with fruit as the gift of God, just as much as though He placed the fruit in our hands (MS 114, 1899). {1BC 1081.4}

In a world full of sin death is natural, life is unnatural. God is sustaining life in a world of sin unnaturally, against nature, against law. It is the blood of Jesus that allows God to give life in a world of sin, contrary to the natural course of sin, contrary to the command - "In the day that thou eatest thereof, thou shalt surely die."

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/20/06 08:13 PM

Here are a couple of statements that bring out some point which bear on our study.

quote:
The people of Israel were at this time loyal to God; and so long as they continued in obedience to His law, no power in earth or hell could prevail against them. But the curse which Balaam had not been permitted to pronounce against
God's people, he finally succeeded in bringing upon them by seducing them into sin. When they transgressed God's commandments, then they separated themselves from Him, and they were left to feel the power of the destroyer. (GC 529)

This statement (above) brings out that the curse comes when God withdraws Himself when people choose to separate themselves from Him, which gives power to the destrorer.

quote:
Although the earth was blighted with the curse, nature was still to be man's lesson book. It could not now represent goodness only; for evil was everywhere present, marring earth and sea and air with its defiling touch. Where once was written only the character of God, the knowledge of good, was now written also the character of Satan, the knowledge of evil. From nature, which now revealed the knowledge of good and evil, man was continually to receive warning as to the results of sin. (Ed 26)
This quote brings out that being blighted with a curse is equivalent to having evil every present. It should be understood that the curse is nothing more nor less than the presence of evil. Where evil is present, there is a curse. Where evil is not present, there is no curse. Similarly, where there is a curse, there is evil; and where there is no curse, there is no evil.

Since God does not work evil, neither does He work curses. His pronouncements of curses are the same as His pronouncements of evil. God works no evil, but He tells the truth. Sin always brings about negative results; sickeness, misery, suffering, and death. This is the curse.

Notice that the knowledge of evil involves the result of sin. All the evil there is in nature (or anywhere else) is the result of sin.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/20/06 08:26 PM

Let us remind ourselves that something that is 'well said' may not necessarily be true.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/20/06 08:28 PM

MM, since you believe that in a world full of sin death is natural, please explain why the devil has survived all these years?

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/20/06 09:13 PM

quote:
Recognizing that Satan has been an active agent in the corrupting of God's plan for man, beast, plants, etc., we can better understand what Ellen White may have meant when she described the results of amalgamation. That which "defaced the image of God" in man and that which "confused the species [of animals]" has been the handiwork of Satan with the cooperation of humans. Such "amalgamation of man and [of] beast, as may be seen in the almost endless varieties of species of animals, and in certain races of men," becomes understandable.
So some "races" of men are more defaced from the image of God than others? Can the two "races" be identified?

Does someone care to answere my questions of what and who exactly it is who decides wether a plant or an animal is of evil? Is there any objective criteria or is this ruled by situation ethics?

I am waiting to see this thread backed up by scripture.

/Thomas

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/20/06 10:43 PM

Darius, the reason Satan is alive, in spite of his sinfulness, is due to the fact God is unnaturally sustaining his life. The same is true of us. The long lingering first death we die is not natural, that is, in the sense we would naturally die the same day we sin if it were not for the plan of salvation. Every time we sin, grace buys us another chance to get it right.

GC 498, 499
Even when it was decided that he could no longer remain in heaven, Infinite Wisdom did not destroy Satan. Since the service of love can alone be acceptable to God, the allegiance of His creatures must rest upon a conviction of His justice and benevolence. The inhabitants of heaven and of other worlds, being unprepared to comprehend the nature or consequences of sin, could not then have seen the justice and mercy of God in the destruction of Satan. Had he been immediately blotted from existence, they would have served God from fear rather than from love. The influence of the deceiver would not have been fully destroyed, nor would the spirit of rebellion have been utterly eradicated. Evil must be permitted to come to maturity. For the good of the entire universe through ceaseless ages Satan must more fully develop his principles, that his charges against the divine government might be seen in their true light by all created beings, that the justice and mercy of God and the immutability of His law might forever be placed beyond all question. {GC 498.3}

DA 761
[After Calvary] Yet Satan was not then destroyed. The angels did not even then understand all that was involved in the great controversy. The principles at stake were to be more fully revealed. And for the sake of man, Satan's existence must be continued. Man as well as angels must see the contrast between the Prince of light and the prince of darkness. He must choose whom he will serve. {DA 761.3}
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/20/06 10:47 PM

Thomas,

You will agree that in pagan societies the moral image of God is more defaced than in Christian societies.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 01:39 AM

Rosangela,

It is not obvious that Ellen is speaking of the moral image. It looks more likely that she is speaking of the created image. There may be some context to change this but in such case it was slopy quoting.

/Thomas

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 01:54 AM

Rosa, how do you know that your caricature of God is better than the pagan caricatures of God?

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 01:55 AM

MM, you have sidestepped the question. Why has Lucifer not suffered the same first death we have? He should at least be on life support.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 02:58 AM

"He should at least be on life support."

That's what MM was saying is it not?

Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 03:05 AM

Did you take that joke seriously, Redfog? Do you truly think the devil is in some hospital on life support?

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 03:38 AM

Darius I was referring to this statement by MM: "Darius, the reason Satan is alive, in spite of his sinfulness, is due to the fact God is unnaturally sustaining his life."

Do you a better explanation for why Satan is still alive?

Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 03:54 AM

Simple, Redfog. Sin does not kill, contrary to what many claim.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 04:23 AM

So the wages of sin is not death?

Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 05:14 AM

That proves the point. It does not come naturally with sin. It is a wage.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 05:20 AM

Ok Darius can you expand a bit on your last post?

Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 06:13 AM

quote:
Darius, the reason Satan is alive, in spite of his sinfulness, is due to the fact God is unnaturally sustaining his life. The same is true of us. The long lingering first death we die is not natural, that is, in the sense we would naturally die the same day we sin if it were not for the plan of salvation. Every time we sin, grace buys us another chance to get it right.

Well said.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 06:18 AM

quote:
n a world full of sin death is natural, life is unnatural. God is sustaining life in a world of sin unnaturally, against nature, against law. It is the blood of Jesus that allows God to give life in a world of sin, contrary to the natural course of sin, contrary to the command - "In the day that thou eatest thereof, thou shalt surely die."
I don't see how you can write things like this (good!) and select the quotes you do, and have difficulty with corporate justification. It must just be language. This is the concept right here, in spades.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 12:16 PM

Redfog, the fact that the wages of sin are said to be death does not mean that sin kills. Somebody has to decide to give you those wages; they do not come automatically. Work does not give a salary, for example. If we want intelligent people to consider the claims of the God we serve we need to inject some consistency in our discussions of Him.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 04:30 PM

Well Darius if you want to play your intellectual word games then be my guest. However I know that sinning stands between me and my Creator. We are saved by that relationship with Him, pure and simple. Therefore if I sin the end result will be eternal death. Have a great Sabbath ya'll.

Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 04:48 PM

Redfog, you need to be careful about your tendency to label the discussion negatively when you are unable to counter the arguments you are presented with.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/22/06 07:28 AM

God is the source and sustainer of all life forms – angel, human, animal, plants, etc. Nothing has life or lives in and of itself. Everything derives its life from God, and continues to be sustained by God thereafter. Otherwise, it would die. God does not, in other words, give something life and then send it on its way like a battery operated thing.

God must continue to give life, moment by moment, or death is the immediate result. A long lingering first death is totally unnatural. No created being is immortal. Not even in heaven. To avoid a gradual decaying death, everyone, even in heaven, must regularly eat of the fruit of the tree of life.

Whether something lives or dies depends on whether or not God gives or takes its life. Sin is not the source of death; yes, it is the reason why we die, but it is not the cause of death. We live or die based on whether or not God chooses to continue our life. The second God decides to cease sustaining our life is the second we die.

It is tempting to think, under the unnatural living conditions that presently exist, living conditions made possible by the plan of salvation, that death is the normal or natural result of sin, sickness, suffering, etc., but, in reality, we die the moment God stops giving us life.

Yes, God usually chooses to give or take life in harmony with the operation of natural laws, but not always, as miracles attest. We die a long lingering first death because God granted us probation, and because He denies us access to the tree of life. Sinning is the reason why God will not let sinners eat of the tree of life.

Remember, God possesses the power to cure and heal anything and everything that threatens to disrupt our natural flow of life, that is, the normal relationship between heart and lung, brain and blood. Consequently, whether we die of disease or destruction depends on whether or not God chooses to miraculously heal us and to maintain our bodies in a healthy state.

Of course, in most cases God does not choose to override the death and decaying process, a process that occurs because we have sinned and do not have access to eat the fruit of the tree of life, a process that would occur even in heaven, that is, if God chose not to override it. As a result, when old age reaches a certain point, God normally chooses to withdraw our life and we die immediately.

The second death is an altogether different matter.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 09:11 PM

Well Darius I wasn't trying to be negative, I just have a hard time understanding you much of the time. I feel very strongly that we spend too much time trying to intellectualize simple concepts. To me it is simple, you sin you die, unless you ask God for forgiveness. This is a concept even a child can understand. Why take something simple and make it difficult?

Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 09:56 PM

If an idea is wrong there is no advantage to being simple.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 09:57 PM

MM, in that case please explain why God keeps Lucifer alive and not us.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 10:23 PM

What about "someone else sins, you die", with Jesus being the prime example.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 10:41 PM

OK Darius tell us why sin does not cause death.

Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/21/06 11:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Darius:
MM, in that case please explain why God keeps Lucifer alive and not us.

Who said we're not alive? The first death is merely a sleep, right?

2 Peter
3:7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

Matthew
25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Mark
12:27 He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/22/06 12:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by västergötland:
What about "someone else sins, you die", with Jesus being the prime example.

Except for Jesus, no one dies for someone else's sins, at least, not in the substitutionary sense. God may allow innocent people to die, as in the case of terrorism, but no one dies without God's permission.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/22/06 12:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Redfog:

Redfog, sin doesn't cause death. God is the source of life. We die when He stops sustaining us with life. But real death doesn't happen until the second death. The first death is merely a sleep (not that it isn't a sad thing).

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/22/06 04:42 AM

Ok MM I guess you are right but it is still sin that will cause God to quite sustaining life right? So in effect the sin leads to the cause of death. If the wages of sin are death then sinning will lead to our demise but maybe not directly cause it. Of course we are talking about the 2nd death that will occur after the 1000 years.

Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/22/06 08:14 AM

Yes, that's what makes sense to me. However, you are going to find out, when he reads our posts, that Tom Ewall emphatically opposes it. He will argue that unsaved sinners destroy themselves, that they place themselves so out of harmony with God that His presence will be a consuming fire, and that God will not prevent His glory from consuming them.

He will say that the following quotes prove God does not destroy unsaved sinners, they destroy themselves. He will argue it has ever been this way. The Flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, the plagues on Egypt, and the seven last plagues, are all examples of God allowing the forces of nature and/or evil angels to destroy unsaved sinners. He will also say that the lake of fire is caused by God allowing His glory to consume the unsaved.

5T
God destroys no one. The sinner destroys himself by his own impenitence. {5T 120.1}

GC 37
By a life of sin, they have placed themselves so out of harmony with God, their natures have become so debased with evil, that the manifestation of His glory is to them a consuming fire. {GC 37.1}

DA 107, 108
To sin, wherever found, "our God is a consuming fire." Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. . . . The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. {DA 107.4}

SC 18
It is no arbitrary decree on the part of God that excludes the wicked from heaven; they are shut out by their own unfitness for its companionship. The glory of God would be to them a consuming fire. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. {SC 17.2}

DA 764
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. {DA 764.1}

GC 614
A single angel destroyed all the first-born of the Egyptians and filled the land with mourning. When David offended against God by numbering the people, one angel caused that terrible destruction by which his sin was punished. The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits. There are forces now ready, and only waiting the divine permission, to spread desolation everywhere. {GC 614.2}

EW 294, 295
Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

Satan and his angels suffered long. Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but also of the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; and he must also suffer for the ruin of souls which he had caused. Then I saw that Satan and all the wicked host were consumed, and the justice of God was satisfied; and all the angelic host, and all the redeemed saints, with a loud voice said, "Amen!" {EW 294.2}

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/22/06 05:14 PM

In the end the results are the same. Unrepentant sin will lead, in some way some how to our eternal death. Arguing beyond that is a waste of time. Maybe we need to spend more time living and witnessing for Christ and less time arguing mute points of theology.

Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/22/06 06:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Darius:
If an idea is wrong there is no advantage to being simple.

Darius,

What makes you the authority as to whether or not an idea is wrong?

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/22/06 06:21 PM

Redfog, I agree.

Telling the truth about God is better than arguing over "mute" points of theology. However, understanding the truth about how God has handled sin and sinners since the Fall, and how He will eliminate unsaved sinners in the lake of fire says a lot about God. Eliminating sin, sinning, and unsaved sinners is what the plan of salvation and the great controversy is all about. How and why it happens will set the tone for eternity.

There is huge difference between saying 1) “God destroys no one. The sinner destroys himself by his own impenitence”, and 2) “The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.” Which is it? Do unsaved sinners destroy themselves, or is it the glory of God that destroys them?

“The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits. There are forces now ready, and only waiting the divine permission, to spread desolation everywhere.” Again, which is it? Does God Himself punish and destroy unsaved sinners, or does He allow, permit, or command earthly armies, evil and holy angels, and/or the forces of nature to do it for Him?

Either way, what does it say about the character of God? Can God Himself punish and destroy unsaved sinners and be a God of love and truth, mercy and justice? On the other hand, can God be a God of love and truth, mercy and justice and allow, permit, or command earthly armies, evil and holy angels, and/or the forces of nature to punish and destroy unsaved sinners?

Whoever eliminates sin, sinning, and unsaved sinners in the lake of fire will be forever credited and crowned with heroism, with saving and securing the universe from future outbreaks of sin and death, with disproving Satan's accusations, with proving God is loving, merciful, just, and forever worthy of eternal worship.

Does it matter what we think about it? Will unsaved sinners punish and destroy themselves in the lake of fire? Will they be credited with eliminating it, with they be hailed as heroes throughout eternity? Or, will God eliminate sin and unsaved sinners in the lake of fire, will He be remembered throughout eternity as the One who conquered sin, as the One who set the universe free?

Or, is it a “mute” theological point?

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/22/06 06:37 PM

MM I just don't see how it matters. We know that the wages of sin is death. If I sin I'll lose eternal life and perish in the lake of fire. In any case it will be my failure to have a relationship with my Creator that will cause me so suffer eternal death. God cannot allow sin to keep going, the how He stops it matters not to me because I have faith in a just and true God.

Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/22/06 06:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:
quote:

Redfog, sin doesn't cause death. God is the source of life. We die when He stops sustaining us with life. But real death doesn't happen until the second death. The first death is merely a sleep (not that it isn't a sad thing).
Wasn't the first death really a result of sin?

Isn't this why Adam and Eve and countless others died the first death?

Isn't this why animals also died and still die today?

quote:

Gen. 3:19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are, and to dust you shall return.

God is obviously referring to the first death in the above quoted verse, which almost everybody must suffer for themselves, the exceptions only being Enoch and Elijah.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/22/06 08:36 PM

Wasn't the first death really a result of sin?

Sins doesn't cause death, not like cancer causes death. The reasons why we are able to die a long lingering first death, instead of dying the second death the instant we sin, are 1) Adam and Eve did not die the day they ate the forbidden fruit (that's why we're even here today, otherwise the human race would have ended with Adam and Eve), 2) God implemented the plan of salvation, 3) Jesus is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, 4) we cannot eat the fruit from the tree of life, 5) God sustains our life, 6) God miraculously heals us, and 7) God eventually withdraws His breath of life and we die.

Isn't this why Adam and Eve and countless others died the first death?

Again, sin is not the cause of death. True, it is the reason why we die, but it is not the cause. The reasons why we die are listed above. God barred access to the tree of life because He didn't want sinners to "eat, and live for ever" (Gen 3:22). If sin is the cause of death then it wouldn't have been necessary for God to place an angel to prevent sinners from eating the fruit of life.

Isn't this why animals also died and still die today?

The same thing applies to animals. They die because God eventually withdraws the breath of life.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/22/06 08:52 PM

quote:
God cannot allow sin to keep going, the how He stops it matters not to me because I have faith in a just and true God.

Yeah, it pretty much boils down to trust, doesn't it? No matter how much we learn about the future fate and demise of unsaved sinners, one thing remains true - how God ends up eliminating sin and unsaved sinners in the lake of fire is a "strange act", an act based on a "name written, that no man knew, but he himself."

Isaiah
28:21 For the LORD shall rise up as [in] mount Perazim, he shall be wroth as [in] the valley of Gibeon, that he may do his work, his strange work; and bring to pass his act, his strange act.

Revelation
19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him [was] called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
19:12 His eyes [were] as a flame of fire, and on his head [were] many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
19:13 And he [was] clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
19:14 And the armies [which were] in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
19:15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
19:16 And he hath on [his] vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

We will think and feel the same way about how God punishes and destroys sin and unsaved sinners in the lake of fire that the heavenly inhabitants think and feel about it. We will praise God.

Revelation
16:5 And I heard the angel of the waters say, Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, and wast, and shalt be, because thou hast judged thus.
16:6 For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and thou hast given them blood to drink; for they are worthy.
16:7 And I heard another out of the altar say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous [are] thy judgments.

Revelation
18:6 Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double.
18:7 How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow.
18:8 Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong [is] the Lord God who judgeth her.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/23/06 04:35 AM

MM those white horse verses are pretty dramatic. I'm surprised some special effects movie has not tried to incorperate them into some sort of movie.

Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/24/06 07:17 AM

quote:
Redfog, sin doesn't cause death.
Sure it does. The wages of sin is death. The sting of death is sin.

quote:
Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.(James 1:15)
quote:
Show that it was sin which marred God's perfect work; that thorns and thistles, sorrow and pain and death, are all the result of disobedience to God.(The Faith I Live By 274)
Note that sorrow, pain and death are the result of disobedience to God; IOW sin is the cause of death.

quote:
By transgression of this law man brought sin into the world, and with sin came death. (God's Amazing Grace 15)
quote:
God is the life-giver. From the beginning, all His laws were ordained to life. But sin broke in upon the order that God had established, and discord followed. So long as sin exists, suffering and death are inevitable. It is only because the Redeemer has borne the curse of sin in our behalf, that man can hope to escape, in his own person, its dire results. (Ibid. 73; also PP 522)
This brings out the principles in a way simple to understand.
1. The Law of God is ordained to life.
2. Disobedience to that law results in death.

Simple! So long as sin exists, suffering and death are inevitable. Sin causes suffering and death. The Great Controversy exists to demonstrate this. After thousands of years, and the demonstration of Christ's death on the cross, we should understand this.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/24/06 07:22 AM

quote:
Telling the truth about God is better than arguing over "mute" points of theology. However, understanding the truth about how God has handled sin and sinners since the Fall, and how He will eliminate unsaved sinners in the lake of fire says a lot about God. Eliminating sin, sinning, and unsaved sinners is what the plan of salvation and the great controversy is all about. How and why it happens will set the tone for eternity.

Well said! How God handles sin tells us a lot about Him.

quote:
It is Satan's constant effort to misrepresent the character of God, the nature of sin, and the real issues at stake in the great controversy. (GC 568)

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/24/06 07:28 AM

quote:
MM I just don't see how it matters. We know that the wages of sin is death. If I sin I'll lose eternal life and perish in the lake of fire. In any case it will be my failure to have a relationship with my Creator that will cause me so suffer eternal death. God cannot allow sin to keep going, the how He stops it matters not to me because I have faith in a just and true God.
These are good questions you are asking! Allow me to requote something from GC 1888, in more detail this time:

quote:
It is Satan's constant effort to misrepresent the character of God, the nature of sin, and the real issues at stake in the great controversy. His sophistry lessens the obligation of the divine law, and gives men license to sin. At the same time he causes them to cherish false conceptions of God, so that they regard him with fear and hate, rather than with love. The cruelty inherent in his own character is attributed to the Creator; it is embodied in systems of religion, and expressed in modes of worship. Thus the minds of men are blinded, and Satan secures them as his agents to war against God. (GC 1888 568)
It is Satan's desire to cause us to view God's character incorrectly, to view him as cruel, and to seek to serve Him out of fear and hate, rather than love. If we view God as saying, "Do what I say, or I will kill you" this cannot but lead to the type of service EGW is warning us against.

OTOH, if we view sin as that which kills, and view God as doing everything possible, including the giving of His own dear Son, and His suffering the death which should have been ours, then our hearts are softened by the love and mercy of God, and we are compelled to follow Him motivated not by fear, but love and mercy.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/24/06 07:34 AM

A couple more statements pointing out that sin causes death:

quote:
Expel sin from your hearts, for sin caused the death of the Son of God. (FILB 313)
quote:
The sacrificial offerings were ordained by God to be to man a perpetual reminder and a penitential acknowledgment of his sin and a confession of his faith in the promised Redeemer. They were intended to impress upon the fallen race the solemn truth that it was sin that caused death. (LHU 324)

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/24/06 01:55 AM

Good quotes, Tom, that clearly shows that sin indeed results in death.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/24/06 03:12 AM

Redfog, as you can see both Tom and Daryl are convinced that sin causes death.

Tom, did I do a good job of wording you position (on page 3)?

Daryl, if sin causes death, 1) why aren't you dead yet? 2) how is it that we can sin and live? 3) why does God forbid sinners to eat from the tree of life?

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/24/06 03:40 AM

Any way you look at it the end result of sin is death. Unless you have asked God for forgiveness.

Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/24/06 01:47 PM

Redfog, the discussion was not whether sin results in death but whether sin causes death. Those who claim that it causes death have to explain why Lucifer is still alive.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/24/06 04:35 PM

Darius for all pratical purposes they are the same thing, as is the result. I do not believe that Satan would live forever.

Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/24/06 06:05 PM

Redfog, if you insist that they are the same you are ignoring reality and there is nothing I can do about that.

Now, tell me why you think it is not possible for Satan to live forever.

Re: An Enemy Caused This - 01/24/06 06:49 PM

quote:
Tom, did I do a good job of wording you position (on page 3)?
I wouldn't say "good", but better than in the past. So the trend is in the right direction.

I think the following gives a good description as to the second death:

quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

This gives the answer to Darius' question regarding why Satan hasn't died. Had Satan and his host been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent that his death is the inevitable result of sin. That's the reason Satan is still alive. When God can allow Satan to suffer the inevitable result of sin without any confusion resulting as to the cause of his death (i.e. sin, not God killing him), then He will do so.

Regarding the other issues, the purpose of this thread is directed towards getting to the underlying causes. We see from the EGW quote of the plant kingdom, that all of the evil there is the result of sin/Satan. Can we extrapolate from this to make similar conclusions regarding the animal kingdom and natural disasters? If so, then we can conclude that there is a great deal of evil present in our world from which God must (and does) constantly protect us.

We will be confused in relation to God's character if we underestimate the sinfulness of sin. This is why Satan seeks to causes us to misunderstand the nature of sin and the controversy; to lead us to view God in a false light. That's his whole purpose.

As long as we view God falsely, we will not reproduce His character, and Christ's coming will continue to be delayed.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church