Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around?

Posted By: Mountain Man

Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around? - 11/23/07 11:27 PM

The following post is imported from a different thread:

MM: From what you wrote above, I take it you believe the gate is entered at the end of traveling the way. Seems to me, though, Jesus described it the other way around. That we must first choose which gate we want to enter before we can begin traveling the way. Once on that way, our choices are many.

TV: I understand from this that you have not read Bunyans book. Please do, its a good story and is quite orthodox in its teaching.

MM: Thank you for the suggestion. I admit it has been about 3 years since I last read Pilgrim's Progress. I have it on MP3, so hopefully I can listen to it again soon.

But I'm still wondering about Jesus' words, "strait is the gate, and narrow is the way." If this "gate" refers to the Pearly Gates of Paradise, why does Jesus call it the "strait [difficult] gate"? If, at the end of our life, Jesus invites us to "enter thou into the joy of thy lord", why would the gate be difficult to enter?

Quote:
TMK 304
A strait gate means a gate difficult to enter. {TMK 304.2}

TDG 155
We must enter in through the strait gate of self-denial, if we follow the Master. This strait, self-denying path is too narrow for many to walk in who profess godliness. {TDG 155.4}

Also, the following passages describe entering the strait gate first and then following the narrow way of self-denial and sanctification which leads to the Pearly Gates of Paradise.

Quote:
UL 234
Gospel sanctification and transformation of soul, body, and spirit sends the feet of all such through the strait gate into the narrow way, the path cast up for the ransomed of the Lord to walk in. {UL 234.5}

5T 434
Self-love and selfish ambition cannot pass the strait gate and walk the narrow, upward way. {5T 434.3}

2T 479, 480
The agonizing ones are the only ones who will urge their passage through the strait gate and narrow way that lead to life eternal, to fullness of joy and pleasures forevermore. {2T 479.2}

So, I guess I'm not alone in believing Jesus' words mean we must first enter the strait in order to follow the narrow way. To enter the strait gate we must first die to self and experience the miracle of rebirth. Jesus Himself walked the narrow way, therefore, it cannot involve sinning or gradually outgrowing our known, defective traits of character.

Do you agree?
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around? - 11/24/07 10:35 AM

The gate was Christians first waymark on his way from Destruction in PP.

Re: Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around? - 11/25/07 07:42 PM

Which "gate"? The one Jesus called the "strait gate"? Or, some other the gate? If the first "gate" Christian entered was the "strait gate" then Bunyan is agreeing with what I posted above.

Bunyan's allegory depicts Christian being on the narrow way one minute and then on the broad way the next, and yet he seems to always be traveling in the same general direction, always drawing closer to the Celestial City.

I wonder if his allegory comes short in this way? Seems to me, during those times when we are on the broad road, we are going in the exact opposite direction. Do you see what I mean?

1T 127
[The narrow and broad] roads are distinct, separate, in opposite directions. One leads to eternal life, the other to eternal death. I saw the distinction between these roads, also the distinction between the companies traveling them. The roads are opposite; one is broad and smooth, the other narrow and rugged. So the parties that travel them are opposite in character, in life, in dress, and in conversation. {1T 127.1}

Re: Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around? - 11/25/07 08:15 PM

I think you would do well to read the book if we are to discuss it.
Posted By: gordonb1

Re: Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around? - 11/25/07 08:51 PM

Hi Mike,

As I recall the two paths lie alongside one another, and appear to head in the same direction, especially at certain points. The travellers on each feel they are both headed for the Celestial City, but one party is deceived. Those travelling the broad, smooth way see little difference in the paths, except that their choice looks less fraught with trouble, thus supposedly the wiser choice.

But their deportment is quite different from the narrow way pilgrims. One road leads up, the other down

Re: Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around? - 11/26/07 07:07 PM

Gordon, thanx for the info. The two paths Jesus spoke of go in opposite directions, not, as in Pilgrim's Progress, generally heading in the same direction. Thus, in Jesus' analogy one would not, while traveling on the narrow way beyond the strait gate, encounter the wide gate. The wide gate would necessarily be in the opposite direction.

On this thread, however, I am hoping to study Jesus' analogy of the two gates and the two paths, instead of John Bunyan's allegory. With this in mind, what do you think?

1. Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around?

2. Once on the narrow way, the way Jesus trod, what is life like?

3. Does treading the narrow way involve sinning? Or, does sinning happen while off the narrow way?

4. How do we stay on the narrow way? How do we get off the narrow? Where are we when we're off the narrow way? How do we get back on the narrow way?

Re: Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around? - 11/27/07 02:21 AM

I think in Bunyans allegory, there is the added dimension of the journey through life aswell as the journey from death to life. The two paths move in the same direction because everyone is today one day closer to his/her death than yesterday.

Re: Do we enter the strait gate first and then follow the narrow way? Or, is it the other way around? - 12/05/07 08:37 PM

Gordon, what do you think?
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church