PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly?

Posted By: Claudia Thompson

PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/29/09 03:03 PM

There is a quotation in Welfare Ministry but I cannot find it now, Ellen White said that if we are continually seeking to be a blessing to others we will be perfect.

This is one thing that makes me believe that perfection is actually more of a attitude than a "doing everything right" thing.

Also, in 2 Peter where we have "Peter's Ladder" it says to make your calling and election sure and become partakers of the divine nature you must climc this "ladder" adding one virtue to another and the one at the top is "charity" or love. Jesus said be ye perfect then He explained by saying those who love those who dont love them back are perfect. Thats perfect unselfishness, getting nothing in return.

Then theres the good samaritan story where the one really keeping "the law" was the one who stopped to help his neighbor, but Im guessing the good samaritan really didnt know precise theology.

I see it more like an ATTITUDE and also having a good conscience, even if we dont understand perfect theology or do everything "right"

1Pt:3:21: The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ

How do you view this?
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/29/09 03:37 PM

Was this the quote? It's not Welfare Ministry, but....

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Those who truly love God will desire so to improve the talents that He has given them, that they may be a blessing to others. And by and by the gates of heaven will be thrown wide open to admit them, and from the lips of the King of Glory the benediction will fall upon their ear like richest music, "Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world" (Matt. 25:34). Thus the redeemed will be welcomed to the mansions that Jesus is preparing for them. There their companions will not be the vile of earth, but those who through divine aid have formed perfect characters. Every sinful tendency, every imperfection, has been removed by the blood of Christ; and the excellence and brightness of His glory, far exceeding the brightness of the sun in its meridian splendor, is imparted to them. And the moral beauty, the perfection of His character, shines through them in worth far exceeding this outward splendor. They are without fault before the great white throne, sharing the dignity and privileges of the angels. {HP 367.2}
[In Heavenly Places (1967)]

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/29/09 04:33 PM

Hi Cochoa,
No it was something like that it is when we continually seek to be a blessing to others then we will be perfect.

I went to the whiteestate.org site and tried to type in keywords to find it but I couldnt.

I will keep looking though

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/29/09 04:43 PM

I think I found it...(the last paragraph)

Ellen G. White Estate
Welfare Ministry (1952), page 81, paragraph 4
Chapter Title: Chapter Ten - Kindness the Key to Hearts
With Love Which Springs From the Heart.--Love is the basis of godliness. Whatever the profession, no man has pure love to God unless he has unselfish love for his brother. But we can never come into possession of this spirit by trying to love others. What is needed is the love of Christ in the heart. When self is merged in Christ, love springs forth spontaneously.

The completeness of Christian character is attained when the impulse to help and bless others springs constantly from within--when the sunshine of heaven fills the heart and is revealed in the countenance.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/29/09 04:44 PM

then look at this too... I just found... see the unselfishness idea? that seems to be the key...

Sin has extinguished the love that God placed in man's heart. The work of the church is to rekindle this love. The church is to cooperate with God by uprooting selfishness from the human heart, placing in its stead the benevolence that was in man's heart in his original state of perfection. --Letter 134, 1902.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/29/09 04:46 PM

because see, there are so many different situations we can be placed in that we wont always know exactly what the right thing is to do, according to "the law"
Posted By: Tom

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/29/09 06:39 PM

Nice quotes. And what causes Christ's love to spring from within? It's a heart appreciation of the love of God, especially as revealed at the cross. By beholding we become changed.
Posted By: Elle

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/29/09 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Tom
Nice quotes. And what causes Christ's love to spring from within? It's a heart appreciation of the love of God, especially as revealed at the cross. By beholding we become changed.

What happens if we are born with evil propensity with a heart to rebell against God? What happens if it's not in us to appreciate the cross?
Even the appreciation comes from Jesus in us. That's what spring from within.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/29/09 07:45 PM

Quote:
What happens if we are born with evil propensity with a heart to rebel against God?

Depending on how one defines this, perhaps we aren't. We are born with certain inclinations, but the Holy Spirit is available to enable us to overcome these inclinations.

Quote:
What happens if it's not in us to appreciate the cross?

God has given to each one a measure of faith, so the ability to appreciate the cross is available to each one of us. We'd be lost without this capacity.

Quote:

This sounds rather metaphysical. Jesus is in heaven. He's not literally "in us." He doesn't build a house inside our hearts and live there. This is a metaphor. The meaning of the metaphor is I think eloquently expressed here:

Quote:
When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness.(COL 312)

Instead of "This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness" I think it works equally well to say "This is what it means to have Jesus living in us."
Posted By: teresaq

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/29/09 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Tom[quote
What happens if it's not in us to appreciate the cross?

God has given to each one a measure of faith, so the ability to appreciate the cross is available to each one of us. We'd be lost without this capacity. [/quote]
i think it is something we have to pray for. we are all born under different circumstances and may not be able to have a "natural" appreciation for the cross.

i understand faith to be believing so i dont understand how you are using it here.

Quote:
Quote:

This sounds rather metaphysical. Jesus is in heaven. He's not literally "in us." He doesn't build a house inside our hearts and live there. This is a metaphor.

i understand what you are saying but that is how the bible states it, over and over.

Col 1:27 ... which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

Joh 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth;.... and shall be in you.
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/29/09 10:33 PM

Claudia, great questions, great comments, and great quotes. Thank you for starting this thread. I think this is where the "rubber meets the road" in the Bible and in our heart, mind, and soul. I realize the great controversy includes the entire Universe and that the vindication of God's character and kingdom is key - but I am very endeared to God because of what He does for me personally here and now.

When I am tempted to be unlike Jesus, I just love it when I trust in God and He in turn empowers me to recognize and resist the temptation; but more than this, I love it when He empowers me to use my faculties of mind and body to mature in the fruits of the Spirit, to become more and more kind and loving and patient like my sweet Jesus. Equally rewarding is when my wife, my Most Lovely, notices it when I'm being like Jesus and she lifts her precious voice and praises God. Being like Jesus means everything to me. Thank you Jesus!!!
Posted By: asygo

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/29/09 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Claudia Thompson
then look at this too... I just found... see the unselfishness idea? that seems to be the key...

Sin has extinguished the love that God placed in man's heart. The work of the church is to rekindle this love. The church is to cooperate with God by uprooting selfishness from the human heart, placing in its stead the benevolence that was in man's heart in his original state of perfection. --Letter 134, 1902.

Perhaps that is as good a definition of perfection of character as you will find.

Here are a couple of quotes from Steps to Christ to consider:

Quote:
But through disobedience, his powers were perverted, and selfishness took the place of love. {SC 17.1}

When Christ dwells in the heart, the soul will be so filled with His love, with the joy of communion with Him, that it will cleave to Him; and in the contemplation of Him, self will be forgotten. {SC 44.2}

The first one tells us what happened when man sinned. The second one tells us what happens when man is born again. The first tells us how we lost perfection; the second how we regain it.

The problem is that selfishness took the place of love; the solution is simply the reverse.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/30/09 02:25 AM

The following talks about the real cause of man's difficulties.

Quote:
In heaven itself this law was broken. Sin originated in self-seeking. Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God, attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. He led them to doubt the word of God, and to distrust His goodness. Because God is a God of justice and terrible majesty, Satan caused them to look upon Him as severe and unforgiving. Thus he drew men to join him in rebellion against God, and the night of woe settled down upon the world.

The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2.

And the solution! The problem came about in believing the enemy's lies about God. The solution is to believe the truth, which is the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/30/09 02:52 AM

Everything depends on us reaching the sinless condition in which Adam lived before the Fall. The honor of God, the honor of Christ, is involved in the perfection of the character of His people. Listen:

Of the Spirit Jesus said, "He shall glorify Me." The Saviour came to glorify the Father by the demonstration of His love; so the Spirit was to glorify Christ by revealing His grace to the world. The very image of God is to be reproduced in humanity. The honor of God, the honor of Christ, is involved in the perfection of the character of His people. {DA 671.3}

"Let us not love in word," the apostle writes, "but in deed and in truth." The completeness of Christian character is attained when the impulse to help and bless others springs constantly from within. It is the atmosphere of this love surrounding the soul of the believer that makes him a savor of life unto life and enables God to bless his work. {AA 551.1}

The completeness of Christian character is attained when the impulse to help and bless others springs constantly from within, when the sunshine of heaven fills the heart and is expressed in the countenance.--Manuscript 108, 1899. {CME 47.2}

Those only who through faith in Christ obey all of God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. They testify to their love of Christ by obeying all His precepts (MS 122, 1901). {6BC 1118.10}

Those who believe on Christ and obey His commandments are not under bondage to God's law; for to those who believe and obey, His law is not a law of bondage, but of liberty. Everyone who believes on Christ, everyone who relies on the keeping power of a risen Saviour that has suffered the penalty pronounced upon the transgressor, everyone who resists temptation and in the midst of evil copies the pattern given in the Christ life, will through faith in the atoning sacrifice of Christ become a partaker of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. Everyone who by faith obeys God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. {HP 146.5}

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/30/09 05:44 AM

As Satan accuses the people of God on account of their sins, the Lord permits him to try them to the uttermost. Their confidence in God, their faith and firmness, will be severely tested. As they review the past, their hopes sink; for in their whole lives they can see little good. They are fully conscious of their weakness and unworthiness. Satan endeavors to terrify them with the thought that their cases are hopeless, that the stain of their defilement will never be washed away. He hopes so to destroy their faith that they will yield to his temptations and turn from their allegiance to God. {GC 618.3}

according to this the righteous do not judge themselves as righteous.
Php 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/30/09 05:51 AM

Quote:
In heaven itself this law was broken. Sin originated in self-seeking. Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God, attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. He led them to doubt the word of God, and to distrust His goodness. Because God is a God of justice and terrible majesty, Satan caused them to look upon Him as severe and unforgiving. Thus he drew men to join him in rebellion against God, and the night of woe settled down upon the world.

The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2.

And the solution! The problem came about in believing the enemy's lies about God. The solution is to believe the truth, which is the revelation of Jesus Christ.

we may be saying the same thing but let me make sure. it isnt enough to know the character of God, we also have to submit and be made over into His image, right?

many can know God is good and resist every softening of the heart, right?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/30/09 07:23 AM

This may be where our theologies differ the most. You believe the main problem is that sinful man has wrong beliefs about God, and the solution is to fix his wrong ideas. I believe the main problem is that sinful man is selfish, and the solution is to be made loving.

Right there in your quote is this gem: "Sin originated in self-seeking." Selfishness is the problem. While sinful man's ideas may be false, the biggest problem is that he is depraved.

As it relates to this thread, perfection of character is not primarily about having correct ideas about God, but having a character that is like God's. And the simplest summary of God's character is what we teach our children: God is love. If one manifests that kind of love, he has achieved perfection of character. That's my $0.02 anyway.

BTW, do you remember the SOP quote I posted that tells us that the seat of our difficulty is the unrenewed heart? The difficulty is not bad ideas, but a bad heart.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/30/09 07:55 AM

Originally Posted By: asygo

This may be where our theologies differ the most. You believe the main problem is that sinful man has wrong beliefs about God, and the solution is to fix his wrong ideas. I believe the main problem is that sinful man is selfish, and the solution is to be made loving.

Right there in your quote is this gem: "Sin originated in self-seeking." Selfishness is the problem. While sinful man's ideas may be false, the biggest problem is that he is depraved.

As it relates to this thread, perfection of character is not primarily about having correct ideas about God, but having a character that is like God's. And the simplest summary of God's character is what we teach our children: God is love. If one manifests that kind of love, he has achieved perfection of character. That's my $0.02 anyway.

BTW, do you remember the SOP quote I posted that tells us that the seat of our difficulty is the unrenewed heart? The difficulty is not bad ideas, but a bad heart.

i have to disagree some, arnold. i came from a place where love meant hurt. so saying God is love from people who then hurt you in one form or another meant that that was the way God was. i think many, many people have a warped view of God and are living up to it with all their heart. i couldnt because it was wrong to me. so i had to reject Him or at least that part of Him. that made life confusing to say the least. to be a christian i had to hurt people but that just seemed so wrong.

when i decided to be "on His side" i told Him His job was to keep me from doing to others what had been done to me but that i would run my own life, thank you very much. and thats the way it was for a long time. it was little chips here and there before i came to see Him in a different light. and im still not completely there yet. i still cannot use the word "love" and it have any real meaning. "caring" has meaning for me.

for many of us our view of God determines how we view selfishness, love or a myriad of whatever. so, for me, i would say you are both right.

yes we are depraved, selfish but:

first we have to have a correct view of God, a correct view of selfishness, a correct view of all else involved.

then we either surrender, take on the new way of thinking or resist.

my 2 cents which may need further info or refining.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/30/09 11:40 AM

Im going to come back and read all this later, but heres something to think about...

Rv:14:5: And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.

What exactly is GUILE?

Isnt it malicious intent?

here is just one thing I found:

God pledged Himself to introduce into the hearts of human beings a new principle--a hatred of sin, of deception, of pretense, of everything that bears the marks of Satan's guile.--Manuscript 72, 1904.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/30/09 02:01 PM

Guile "dolos" means crafty or deceitful

Guile in Rev 14 is used in reference to the 144,000 which they will obtain a perfect character. Here's one verse in reference to Christ.
Originally Posted By: 1Pe 2
21. For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
22. Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
23. Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed [himself] to him that judgeth righteously:
24. Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

In the OT the word guile is not found, but we have lots of hit for deceit or deceitful.

In Jer say that being deceitful is man's #1 heart condition problem.
Quote:
Jer 17:9 The heart [is] deceitful above all [things], and desperately wicked: who can know it?
Jer 8:5 Why [then] is this people of Jerusalem slidden back by a perpetual backsliding? they hold fast deceit, they refuse to return.
Jer 9:6 Thine habitation [is] in the midst of deceit; through deceit they refuse to know me, saith the LORD.

Here's an interesting one concerning a true or false witness :
Quote:
Pro 14:25 A true witness delivereth souls: but a deceitful [witness] speaketh lies.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/30/09 02:51 PM

22. Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
23. Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not;

WOW THATS INTERESTING! that when its talking about Jesus being sinless it says He had no guild in His mouth! Just like the 144,000.

and look at the next verse, remember when I said about Jesus saying "Be ye perfect as your Heavenly Father is perfect, love those who dont love you back?

Thats really what its saying isnt it?

23. Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not;

...or am I stretching things? smile

See look,

Matthew 5:
44: But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45: That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46: For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47: And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
48: Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/30/09 02:57 PM

Hey look at this!

Hebrews 12

2: Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3: For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
4: Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

I dont know if you are seeing what Im seeing in this... see the unselfishness thing again? Like you arent getting anything out of it... you love but they arent loving you back or even killing you.

Something else comes to mind, Job. Satan goes to God and says oh you consider Job PERFECT? well lets see what Job does if I take everything away from him and if he thinks it is you doing it to him.

So at the end, Job says "Though he slay me yet will I trust in Him and I will (still) maintain my ways before Him" I take that to mean he would still walk in God's Law even if he werent getting anything in return.

Doesnt Sister White somewhere equate Job with God's people in the end times?

I ask these things because sometimes I really find it difficult to know what God's will is in certain circumstances and if being sinless means Ive got to know THAT ...then I feel Im in trouble! But if its more like a heart thing, thats easier for me to take.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/30/09 05:21 PM

Claudia here's some more interested Bible verses in OT using "beguiled or guiled".
Originally Posted By: Bible verses with Beguiled
And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that you have done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat. (Genesis 3:13, EKJV)

And it came to pass, that in the morning, behold, it was Leah: and he said to Laban, What is this you have done unto me? did not I serve with you for Rachel? wherefore then have you beguiled me? (Genesis 29:25, EKJV)

But if a man come presumptuously upon his neighbor, to slay him with guile; you shall take him from mine altar, that he may die. (Exodus 21:14, EKJV)

For they vex you with their wiles, wherewith they have beguiled you in the matter of Peor, and in the matter of Cozbi, the daughter of a prince of Midian, their sister, which was slain in the day of the plague for Peor's sake. (Numbers 25:18, EKJV)

And Joshua called for them, and he spoke unto them, saying, Wherefore have you beguiled us, saying, We are very far from you; when you dwell among us? (Joshua 9:22, EKJV)

Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputes not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile. (Psalms 32:2, EKJV)

Keep your tongue from evil, and your lips from speaking guile. (Psalms 34:13, EKJV)

Wickedness is in the midst thereof: deceit and guile depart not from her streets. (Psalms 55:11, EKJV)

I had to look revile up since my vocabulary is not that elaborated.

Revile: to use abusive or contemptuous language in speaking to or about; call bad names
Originally Posted By: Claudia
and look at the next verse, remember when I said about Jesus saying "Be ye perfect as your Heavenly Father is perfect, love those who dont love you back?

Thats really what its saying isnt it?

...or am I stretching things?

I don't think you're stretching it at all. I think when you are mistreated, that's when you're true colors comes forth. I think this is quite powerfull meaning to having Christ Perfect character.

WOW! In such circumstances as the worst persecution time in this world history, at the end of time, that's when Christ character will beam right out of us and make a sharp contrast with the evil character.

I believe it will be His character(His mind) that is put in us, via the mystery of God referred in Rev 10:7 and defined in Col 1:27. And that's how we will glorify Christ, and the world will know that God loves them.

Once the whole world will know the Truth about the Father, that he so loved the world, that he gave His only begotton son. This truth will be known through us, as we are put in prison, as we are accused, as we are killed. Then Christ will be able to come.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/30/09 05:49 PM

OH YEAH!! Right, Elle, when we are abused and persecuted, THEN everyone will see a final demonstration of the Great Controversy between God and Satan, so to speak and WE will show what God can do in full redemption of man, I guess you would call it... the contrast between us and Satan's people... kind of like a repeat miniature of Jesus on the Cross and the wicked people who were cruficying Him and reviling Him?

This makes me think of something else, I was just reading about "It is FINISHED" and how in Desire of Ages, Ellen White said thats not only talking about the death of Christ on the Cross but the whole Great Controversy was in a sense finished because everyone could at that time see God's character of love verses Satan's selfish wicked hateful character.

does this have anything to do with that? since it says "finished"?
I dont really know anything about the plagues and angels and all of that, but remember how it calls it the MYSTERY OF GODLINESS?

I was thinking of something either Jones or Waggoner said ..how when at the end God tests us and we say something like "I would rather have Jesus than that (sin) it is finished and God's Seal will be placed upon us? Not sure if it actually says finished.

But isnt that the Mystery of godliness? I know Im probably going all over the place but my mind tends to connect Bible verses, etc together. See how it says the mystery of God is finished? In Rv. 10:7 is that talking about us?

Jn:19:30: When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

Jn:17:4: I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

Rv:10:7: But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/30/09 09:03 PM

thank you for the bible study, ladies! it was highly appreciated!

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/31/09 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: teresaq
As Satan accuses the people of God on account of their sins, the Lord permits him to try them to the uttermost. Their confidence in God, their faith and firmness, will be severely tested. As they review the past, their hopes sink; for in their whole lives they can see little good. They are fully conscious of their weakness and unworthiness. Satan endeavors to terrify them with the thought that their cases are hopeless, that the stain of their defilement will never be washed away. He hopes so to destroy their faith that they will yield to his temptations and turn from their allegiance to God. {GC 618.3}

Do you think Sister White's description above is indicative of daily life? Or, do you think she's describing a unique, once-in-a-lifetime scenario? IOW, do sincere Christians spend most of their time feeling weak and unworthy and focused on the fact they've accomplished very little good? If so, it hardly seems like a desirable path. Also, where do the following insights fit in?

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

"These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/31/09 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

Do you think Sister White's description above is indicative of daily life? Or, do you think she's describing a unique, once-in-a-lifetime scenario? IOW, do sincere Christians spend most of their time feeling weak and unworthy and focused on the fact they've accomplished very little good? If so, it hardly seems like a desirable path. Also, where do the following insights fit in?

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

"These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."

when i read the messenger of the Lords personal struggles i get the definite impression that she felt "weak and unworthy and focused on the fact they've accomplished very little good", most of her life. but i dont mean that to imply that she lived in a negative state her whole life.

the way you have stated it i get the picture that we can think we are doing quite well and that would be all right. correct me if im wrong. if that is your picture, is that a safe picture? can i feel i am living up, or measuring up, to all that i should be?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/31/09 02:29 AM

What makes Christians feel unworthy is seeing Jesus Christ.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/31/09 02:49 AM

Do you think Sister White's description above is indicative of daily life? Or, do you think she's describing a unique, once-in-a-lifetime scenario? IOW, do sincere Christians spend most of their time feeling weak and unworthy and focused on the fact they've accomplished very little good? If so, it hardly seems like a desirable path.

An ignominious death is not really desirable either. But God's will sometimes leads us down undesirable paths.

Quote:
The closer you come to Jesus, the more faulty you will appear in your own eyes; for your vision will be clearer, and your imperfections will be seen in broad and distinct contrast to His perfect nature. This is evidence that Satan's delusions have lost their power; that the vivifying influence of the Spirit of God is arousing you. {SC 64.2}

No deep-seated love for Jesus can dwell in the heart that does not realize its own sinfulness. The soul that is transformed by the grace of Christ will admire His divine character; but if we do not see our own moral deformity, it is unmistakable evidence that we have not had a view of the beauty and excellence of Christ. {SC 65.1}

Read that passage and see the conditions under which we see the "broad and distinct contrast to His perfect nature" and "our own moral deformity." It doesn't just happen during some apocalyptic time; it happens whenever there is a "deep-seated love for Jesus" and when the "vivifying influence of the Spirit of God" arouses us.

Also, where do the following insights fit in?

We claim these promises, not because we see it, not because we feel it, but because we need it and God has promised it.

Quote:
Our great need is itself an argument and pleads most eloquently in our behalf. But the Lord is to be sought unto to do these things for us. He says, "Ask, and it shall be given you." And "He that spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?" Matthew 7:7; Romans 8:32. {SC 95.2}

You have confessed your sins, and in heart put them away. You have resolved to give yourself to God. Now go to Him, and ask that He will wash away your sins and give you a new heart. Then believe that He does this because He has promised. This is the lesson which Jesus taught while He was on earth, that the gift which God promises us, we must believe we do receive, and it is ours. {SC 49.3}

Do not wait to feel that you are made whole, but say, "I believe it; it is so, not because I feel it, but because God has promised." {SC 51.2}

The Christian is not dependent on what he sees or what he feels. His dependence is on God's word. If God said, we believe it, and that's good enough for us.

We walk in the light we have, doing the best we can, and let God take care of the results.

So why go through this "undesirable" phase?

Quote:
The less we see to esteem in ourselves, the more we shall see to esteem in the infinite purity and loveliness of our Saviour. A view of our sinfulness drives us to Him who can pardon; and when the soul, realizing its helplessness, reaches out after Christ, He will reveal Himself in power. The more our sense of need drives us to Him and to the word of God, the more exalted views we shall have of His character, and the more fully we shall reflect His image. {SC 65.2}

If we see the results of NOT esteeming ourselves to highly, and the dangers we avoid, perhaps we would find the experience more desirable.

We really do need to review SC.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/31/09 07:05 AM

this is looking like a really good thread!! i hope it doesnt die out.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 03/31/09 01:38 PM

OH YEAH!! Right, Elle, when we are abused and persecuted, THEN everyone will see a final demonstration of the Great Controversy between God and Satan, so to speak and WE will show what God can do in full redemption of man, I guess you would call it... the contrast between us and Satan's people... kind of like a repeat miniature of Jesus on the Cross and the wicked people who were cruficying Him and reviling Him?

Yes to me that's how it seem to be His plan. There these words in Rev that might be implying this "repeat miniature of Jesus on the Cross", but I still don't have the full grasp of what it means
Originally Posted By: Rev 11:8
And their(two witness=144,000) dead bodies [shall lie] in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified."

Quote:
This makes me think of something else, I was just reading about "It is FINISHED" and how in Desire of Ages, Ellen White said thats not only talking about the death of Christ on the Cross but the whole Great Controversy was in a sense finished because everyone could at that time see God's character of love verses Satan's selfish wicked hateful character.

I think so. Two weeks ago, I started studying these, but I got taken buy other studies. I think you're on something and let's dig into it.

Quote:
I dont really know anything about the plagues and angels and all of that, but remember how it calls it the MYSTERY OF GODLINESS?
I couldn't find any link to the plagues and angels to the Mystery of Godliness. The bible does refer to the "mystery of Iniquity" and
Originally Posted By: Rev 17:5
And upon her forehead [was] a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
In regards to the plagues, I don't know much beside that it happens and when. I do want to understand it more deeply. I will share with you later what I discovered in regards to the final destruction, as it is a topic in itself.

However, I see the Mystery of Godliness equivalent of the mystery of God that Pauls wrote about many time. He typically use the wording "mystery of God" and once he replace the word "God" for "Godliness", but he meant the same thing.
Originally Posted By: 1Ti 3:16
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Quote:
I was thinking of something either Jones or Waggoner said ..how when at the end God tests us and we say something like "I would rather have Jesus than that (sin) it is finished and God's Seal will be placed upon us? Not sure if it actually says finished.

But isnt that the Mystery of godliness? I know Im probably going all over the place but my mind tends to connect Bible verses, etc together. See how it says the mystery of God is finished? In Rv. 10:7 is that talking about us?
Yes, I see the sealing in relation to the "mystery of God". According to Paul's definition, the mystery of God is "Christ in you". It is no longer, I that lives, but Christ in me.

This is how I understand it:
1. right now the records of the dead in Christ are being judge in heaven.
2. Once this is finish, then next come the IJ of the one who are alive.
3. The 144,000 are the first to be sealed. Maybe, when Jesus start to open the books of deed of the living, he starts with those who profess to be Christians. That's what seems to be saying in the Bible. However, 144,000 are first sealed and it's before the Trumpets starts to sound. They are God's servants the prophets that are to give the last cry of the 3AM. I believe that God will reveal to them the gospel truth about Jesus Salvation very clear and I think that's the 7 thunders describe in Rev.
4. Then the trumpets are going to sound, one by one, in order given in the Bible. As the last cry is given with the 7 thunders in it's purity, clearness, using the Bible and speaking the words of the Holy Spirit, those who will confess that Christ is the only begotten son of God, and submit their will when confronted to a test, then they will be seal.
5. This sealing, which I fully don't grasp yet, has a dimension that there state of mind is unchangeable or preserve.
6. There is going to be a lot of people, a numberless multitude, that's going to respond to the Gospel purity.

Quote:
Jn:19:30: When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

Jn:17:4: I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

Rv:10:7: But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.
Thanks for bringing these together. YES! I do see the link more clearly now. At the 6th Trumpet, that's when the 144,000 has finished prophesying and they will be slaughtered. Before that, there will be 1260 days of persecution, so many of the numberless multitude will already have been slaughtered. But the 144,000 are very special compare to the numberless multitude, because for 3 years(1260 days) they have prophesied like Jesus, and have partaken the mission to their death. They will have a special bond with Christ that no other will have.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/01/09 01:42 AM

t: according to this the righteous do not judge themselves as righteous.

M: Do you think Sister White's description above is indicative of daily life? Or, do you think she's describing a unique, once-in-a-lifetime scenario? IOW, do sincere Christians spend most of their time feeling weak and unworthy and focused on the fact they've accomplished very little good? If so, it hardly seems like a desirable path. Also, where do the following insights fit in?

t: when i read the messenger of the Lords personal struggles i get the definite impression that she felt "weak and unworthy and focused on the fact they've accomplished very little good", most of her life. but i dont mean that to imply that she lived in a negative state her whole life.

t: the way you have stated it i get the picture that we can think we are doing quite well and that would be all right. correct me if im wrong. if that is your picture, is that a safe picture? can i feel i am living up, or measuring up, to all that i should be?

Yes, I believe we can feel righteous and holy while we are abiding in Jesus. I also believe we will feel we have plenty of room to grow and mature in the fruits of the Spirit and that we will feel this way throughout eternity. I do not believe these two ideas are contradictory; instead, I think they are complimentary.

And, yes, we will ever be mindful that without Jesus and that outside of Him we are miserable, wretched sinners. And this is healthy to know and to remember. But I do not believe it is right or healthy to go around thinking we are miserable and wretched sinners while we are abiding in Jesus - because it simply isn't true. Listen:

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance. They that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; and be renewed in the spirit of your mind; and that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ. Ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ; being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Do all things without murmurings and disputings. Ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world.

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming. If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/01/09 01:50 AM

wow!!!

well ill let you feel secure all by yourself and whoever wants to join you.

whenever i start feeling secure, or like im not "sinning", sure enough there comes a time when i find i was far away from God.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/01/09 01:56 AM

Quote:

The chapter "It Is Finished" is such an amazing chapter. To try to grasp the meaning of Christ's death, it's just a gold mine. Here's how it ends:

Quote:
The plan of redemption having been completed, the character of God is revealed to all created intelligences. The precepts of His law are seen to be perfect and immutable. Then sin has made manifest its nature, Satan his character. Then the extermination of sin will vindicate God's love and establish His honor before a universe of beings who delight to do His will, and in whose heart is His law.

Well, then, might the angels rejoice as they looked upon the Saviour's cross; for though they did not then understand all, they knew that the destruction of sin and Satan was forever made certain, that the redemption of man was assured, and that the universe was made eternally secure. Christ Himself fully comprehended the results of the sacrifice made upon Calvary. To all these He looked forward when upon the cross He cried out, "It is finished." (DA 764)

This should answer your question!

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/01/09 01:56 AM

Teresaq, how, then, do you recommend people read the passages I posted above?

Also, do you know of Scripture that describes an experience in Christ opposite of the passages I posted above?

And, do you feel secure and right with God when you feel like you're "sinning"?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/01/09 07:13 AM

Yes, I believe we can feel righteous and holy while we are abiding in Jesus.

Quote:
but if we do not see our own moral deformity, it is unmistakable evidence that we have not had a view of the beauty and excellence of Christ. {SC 65.1}

Can we feel "righteous and holy" while seeing "our own moral deformity"? When Daniel and John saw an unfallen angel, they didn't look like they felt righteous and holy, even though they were abiding in Jesus.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/01/09 07:20 AM

Quote:
Well, then, might the angels rejoice as they looked upon the Saviour's cross; for though they did not then understand all, they knew that the destruction of sin and Satan was forever made certain, that the redemption of man was assured, and that the universe was made eternally secure. Christ Himself fully comprehended the results of the sacrifice made upon Calvary. To all these He looked forward when upon the cross He cried out, "It is finished." (DA 764)

This should answer your question!

This should also answer the question (if anyone here was asking) about the possibility of the last generation derailing God's plan by their unfaithfulness. On the cross, "the universe was made eternally secure." We're just in the finishing touches now.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/01/09 07:43 AM

Also, do you know of Scripture that describes an experience in Christ opposite of the passages I posted above?

Quote:
mm: Yes, I believe we can feel righteous and holy while we are abiding in Jesus. I also believe we will feel we have plenty of room to grow and mature in the fruits of the Spirit and that we will feel this way throughout eternity. I do not believe these two ideas are contradictory; instead, I think they are complimentary.

And, yes, we will ever be mindful that without Jesus and that outside of Him we are miserable, wretched sinners. And this is healthy to know and to remember. But I do not believe it is right or healthy to go around thinking we are miserable and wretched sinners while we are abiding in Jesus - because it simply isn't true. Listen:

i didnt catch the either/or mentality before. i can be aware that i am a "miserable, wretched sinners" without feeling miserable and wretched.

not measuring up might be a better description.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/01/09 07:55 AM

Quote:
but if we do not see our own moral deformity, it is unmistakable evidence that we have not had a view of the beauty and excellence of Christ. {SC 65.1}

Can we feel "righteous and holy" while seeing "our own moral deformity"? When Daniel and John saw an unfallen angel, they didn't look like they felt righteous and holy, even though they were abiding in Jesus.

yeah, i think all my righteousness would turn to filthy rags if i were to see Jesus, too. eek

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/01/09 11:18 PM

Quote:

Arnold, I'm sure you couldn't help noticing that my posts above included this aspect of reality. It doesn't appear to me, though, that you are including the other side of the picture portrayed in the passages I posted above. Do you agree that they depict what I've been advocating here? If not, please explain why. Thank you.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/01/09 11:23 PM

M: Yes, I believe we can feel righteous and holy while we are abiding in Jesus.

A: Can we feel "righteous and holy" while seeing "our own moral deformity"? When Daniel and John saw an unfallen angel, they didn't look like they felt righteous and holy, even though they were abiding in Jesus.

t: yeah, i think all my righteousness would turn to filthy rags if i were to see Jesus, too.

Actually, the Scripture you are inferring here makes it clear our righteousness is filthy rags to start off with - it doesn't turn into filthy rags when we appear in the presence in Jesus. Obviously, therefore, God has something else in mind in the passages I posted above. Do you see what I mean?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/01/09 11:30 PM

Quote:
mm: Yes, I believe we can feel righteous and holy while we are abiding in Jesus. I also believe we will feel we have plenty of room to grow and mature in the fruits of the Spirit and that we will feel this way throughout eternity. I do not believe these two ideas are contradictory; instead, I think they are complimentary.

i didnt catch the either/or mentality before. i can be aware that i am a "miserable, wretched sinners" without feeling miserable and wretched.

not measuring up might be a better description.

Do you agree, then, with what I posted above? Or, is something I said you aren't quite comfortable with?

Also, do you think feeling like you aren't measuring up is right and healthy? Or, did you have something else in mind?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/02/09 05:53 AM

Quote:
Also, do you think feeling like you aren't measuring up is right and healthy? Or, did you have something else in mind?

I'm on the same page with Teresa. I think your ideas here are truly frightening. I recall Ellen White speaking of herself, referring to how she lamented not better reflecting the Master (I can't recall her exact words well enough to find the quote), but it reflected the humility one would expect in a follower of Christ.

As we look to Christ, we see our own unworthiness. As long as we live, our prayer should be, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner." Our only hope is in God's great mercy, grace and love. Not in our own ability to do anything, least of all "measure up."

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/02/09 07:19 AM

Quote:

I'm on the same page with Teresa. I think your ideas here are truly frightening. I recall Ellen White speaking of herself, referring to how she lamented not better reflecting the Master (I can't recall her exact words well enough to find the quote), but it reflected the humility one would expect in a follower of Christ.

As we look to Christ, we see our own unworthiness. As long as we live, our prayer should be, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner." Our only hope is in God's great mercy, grace and love. Not in our own ability to do anything, least of all "measure up."

i couldnt find the words. thank you. thanks

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/03/09 06:41 PM

But the Spirit of Prophecy DOES say things like this:

Ellen G. White Estate
Faith and Works (1979), page 37, paragraph 2
Chapter Title: Christ Our Righteousness
"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," even so was "the Son of man . . . lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life" (John 3:14, 15). If you are conscious of your sins, do not devote all your powers to mourning over them, but look and live. Jesus is our only Saviour; and although millions who need to be healed will reject His offered mercy, not one who trusts in His merits will be left to perish. While we realize our helpless condition without Christ, we must not be discouraged; we must rely upon a crucified and risen Saviour. Poor, sin-sick, discouraged soul, look and live. Jesus has pledged His word; He will save all who come unto Him.

That one ays though we know we are sinful we arent supposed to FOCUS on that.

Here is another:

Ellen G. White Estate
(Australasian) Union Conference Record, May 6, 1907, paragraph 2
Article Title: Are You Light-bearers?-
The lower lights must be kept burning. Jesus is the great light which lights up every man that comes into the world. All heaven is interested in the conflict that is going on in this world between truth and error, light and darkness. The great Source of all light is constantly shining, and those who will catch His rays, and will reflect them upon others, will be light-bearers in this darkened world. We are not pleasing God when we permit our minds to dwell upon our imperfections, mourning constantly over our condition, with our eyes directed continually upon our mistakes and errors. Come to Jesus; He is the light of the world. Take hold of His strength by faith and make peace with Him. Shall you talk of your weakness?--No; no: for that pleases the enemy. Dwell upon the great help that has been provided for you in Jesus, your Redeemer.

Ellen G. White Estate
The Bible Echo, July 2, 1894, paragraph 1
Article Title: Not Self, But Christ.-Mrs. E. G. White.
It is in looking upon our sinful condition, and talking and mourning over our wretchedness, that distress becomes more keen, and pain accumulates. Let the sinner arise in the strength of Jesus; for he has no strength of his own, and let him assert his liberty. Let him believe that the Lord has spoken truth, and trust in Him, whatever may be the feelings of the heart. Let the sinner say, I will look away from my own misery, from the wound of the serpent, to the uplifted Saviour, who has said, "Him that cometh to Me, I will in nowise cast out." Look upon Jesus. "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world."

So if we keep on focusing upon our deformities this isnt going to do us any good. We actually do in a way need to "feel" good about ourselves because we are relying upon the merits of Christ and we realize God sees Jesus when He looks at us, right?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/03/09 06:52 PM

Arnold, I'm sure you couldn't help noticing that my posts above included this aspect of reality. It doesn't appear to me, though, that you are including the other side of the picture portrayed in the passages I posted above. Do you agree that they depict what I've been advocating here? If not, please explain why. Thank you.

True, we are called to overcome sin and obey God. And by God's grace, it can be accomplished.

But there are shades of meaning and varying degrees of overcoming and obeying. The obedience required of the high priest is not the same as that required of the toddler. But to our discussion at hand, the high priest should have a much clearer view of the magnitude of God's glory that he should have a much clearer view of his shortcomings.

Quote:
But he who is truly seeking for holiness of heart and life delights in the law of God, and mourns only that he falls so far short of meeting its requirements. {SL 81.1}

When we get a good view of God's glory, and truly desire to reflect it in our own character, His light will clearly reveal that we fall short of His glory.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/03/09 07:40 PM

So if we keep on focusing upon our deformities this isnt going to do us any good. We actually do in a way need to "feel" good about ourselves because we are relying upon the merits of Christ and we realize God sees Jesus when He looks at us, right?

If we focus on our sins, we are not looking at Jesus because in Him there is no sin. So that's definitely a bad plan. Our focus must be Jesus and His matchless charms.

The seeming paradox is that if we look at ourselves, we will gradually get used to seeing the sin and lose sight of the holiness that we are called to experience. IOW, we will start feeling that we are doing fine. Why? Because we will have no idea what "fine" really means.

In contrast, when we look at Jesus, we will see what true holiness is, and we will see very clearly how far we fall short of it. That will not make us feel very holy.

But here's what we must remember: Feeling is not a safe guide. Often, it has no basis in reality.

When we see holiness, we will feel very unholy. But regardless of that, we can still rejoice because if we are abiding in Christ, His character stands in the place of our own, and we are deemed just because of His merits and for His sake. And that rejoicing comes, not from feeling, but from hearing the word of God.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/03/09 07:52 PM

Actually, that's the definition of sanctification. So it's a good sign. But we need to constantly remember that it is through Jesus that we are justified as Scripture tells us.
Quote:
Rom 3: 20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law [is] the knowledge of sin.
Rom 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
Rom 3:25 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/03/09 08:36 PM

If we focus on our sins, we are not looking at Jesus because in Him there is no sin. So that's definitely a bad plan. Our focus must be Jesus and His matchless charms.

The seeming paradox is that if we look at ourselves, we will gradually get used to seeing the sin and lose sight of the holiness that we are called to experience. IOW, we will start feeling that we are doing fine. Why? Because we will have no idea what "fine" really means.

In contrast, when we look at Jesus, we will see what true holiness is, and we will see very clearly how far we fall short of it. That will not make us feel very holy.

But here's what we must remember: Feeling is not a safe guide. Often, it has no basis in reality.

When we see holiness, we will feel very unholy. But regardless of that, we can still rejoice because if we are abiding in Christ, His character stands in the place of our own, and we are deemed just because of His merits and for His sake. And that rejoicing comes, not from feeling, but from hearing the word of God.

I think I see what you mean. While we dont want to focus on our sins because that wont get us anywhere, its by beholding we become changed... beholding Christ, we should have confidence in the merits of Christ, but at the same time when we look at Jesus this makes us see our own shortcomings so that we will know what needs changing. So we dont want to be smug or well I dont know what the word for it is. Like the Pharisee verses the Publican story.

And yes I agree, we should never go by "feelings". Good or bad.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/03/09 09:22 PM

it sounds like there are some who can only see an either/or and not a third path.

no one, as far as i know, is saying anything about "focusing on our deformities". to the contrary. as we look at Jesus, really look at Jesus, we become more and more conscious of our deformities. but we are always to keep our eyes and Jesus, study His life, meditate on it, and in so doing as well as appropriating the bible promises we become more and more like Him.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/03/09 09:55 PM

Ty Gibson wrote something I really like a lot. I don't have the actual quote, so I'll have to present the idea as best I can.

He said that God has set things up so that those who sincerely desire to know what He is like can discern His true character in Scripture. Our understanding of His character and likeness to Him dovetail as one process.

By beholding we become change.

Apprehending God's character is key.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/03/09 10:04 PM

Ty Gibson wrote something I really like a lot. I don't have the actual quote, so I'll have to present the idea as best I can.

He said that God has set things up so that those who sincerely desire to know what He is like can discern His true character in Scripture. Our understanding of His character and likeness to Him dovetail as one process.

By beholding we become change.

very good point. we can study the life of Christ- and the old testament- but if our view of God is less than true or accurate.....we will become whatever our view of God is.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/03/09 10:22 PM

Yes. There's a psalm which brings this out:

Quote:
25With the merciful thou wilt shew thyself merciful; with an upright man thou wilt shew thyself upright;

26With the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure; and with the froward thou wilt shew thyself froward. (Ps. 18:25-26)

I like the KJV here because it uses the same word for both parts of the verse, which brings the point home, that being that we perceive God according to our own character.

This is a pretty bad Catch-22. If we perceive God according to our character, and our character is defective, then our picture of God will be defective, apparently putting a wrench in the whole "By beholding we become changed" plan. We want to be changed by beholding the truth about God, not a defective facsimile, made so by our own character.

I think the first step is to realize that this paradox exists. When we realize it, we can ask the Lord (more than willing to give good gifts to those who ask) that He reveal that truth about Himself to us, being willing to made aware of our errors.

So often it seems that once one hits upon a picture of God, that picture becomes cast in stone; nothing will change it. I think this is a problem the Pharisees had. A God who was like Jesus Christ was too much for their minds to bring in.

Even today the idea that God is really like Jesus Christ is shattering. Most Christians would enthusiastically profess to believe this truth, but in reality the concept of God (powerful, just, wanting vengeance; someone we fear, but don't really want to be like) is very different than of Jesus Christ (kind, forgiving, merciful; what we would like to be like).

I think recognizing we have a need for heavenly eye salve is a key first step.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/03/09 10:32 PM

I think recognizing we have a need for heavenly eye salve is a key first step.

you mean i might be wrong in what i perceive to be truth? smile

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/03/09 10:46 PM

We're all wrong. God is much better than our perception of Him.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/04/09 05:57 AM

I think I see what you mean. While we dont want to focus on our sins because that wont get us anywhere, its by beholding we become changed... beholding Christ, we should have confidence in the merits of Christ, but at the same time when we look at Jesus this makes us see our own shortcomings so that we will know what needs changing. So we dont want to be smug or well I dont know what the word for it is. Like the Pharisee verses the Publican story.

Yes, I think you understood me. thanks

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/05/09 06:35 AM

I agree with this.

But I think it is possible to apprehend God's character without knowing it was God's character you were apprehending. I believe there will be people in heaven who have never heard the name of Jesus, but have reflected His character anyway.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/05/09 07:19 AM

I agree.

Quote:
Among the heathen are those who worship God ignorantly, those to whom the light is never brought by human instrumentality, yet they will not perish. Though ignorant of the written law of God, they have heard His voice speaking to them in nature, and have done the things that the law required. Their works are evidence that the Holy Spirit has touched their hearts, and they are recognized as the children of God.(DA 638)

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/05/09 07:38 AM

wont that be the neatest thing???

seeing all these people wake and being taken to heaven when they never heard of God as we know Him?

i cant wait to see the shock!!

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/06/09 10:08 AM

What if we woke up and it turned out that we get to go to heaven in spite of our ignorance? Actually, that won't be much of a surprise.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/06/09 05:41 PM

I've heard it said there will be great surprise in who is there and who isn't, and someone said that greatest shock would be finding oneself there.

There's also the person who said that when he thinks of himself, there's no way he can imagine being in heaven, but when he thinks of Christ, there's no way he can imagine not being there.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/06/09 07:08 PM

We are not to be anxious about what Christ and God think of us, but about what God thinks of Christ, our Substitute. {FLB 113.6}

Assurance comes only by looking for it in the right place.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/06/09 10:14 PM

This seems to me to be an intermediate step. I'll first explain what I mean, and then see if you agree.

From "The Desire of Ages"

Quote:
It is not the fear of punishment, or the hope of everlasting reward, that leads the disciples of Christ to follow Him. They behold the Saviour's matchless love, revealed throughout His pilgrimage on earth, from the manger of Bethlehem to Calvary's cross, and the sight of Him attracts, it softens and subdues the soul. Love awakens in the heart of the beholders. They hear His voice, and they follow Him. (DA 480)

There are other places in the SOP where it speaks of the motivations of shunning hell and gaining heaven. One could see these as contradictory to the above statement, but I think it's a matter of maturity. To a new believer, it's natural to be primarily motivated by hope of reward and fear of punishment. As one grows, however, one becomes enamored of Christ, and one is motivated by the beauties of His character, the beauty of Christ Himself. Other motivations fail, which I think is EGW's point.

So this (being motivated by hope of reward or fear of punishment) is an example what I'm calling an intermediate step.

I think being anxious of what God thinks of Christ is another example. If one is going to be anxious, it's certainly better to be anxious of what God thinks of Christ rather than what He thinks of us. But why be anxious at all about what God thinks? That is, as we come to know God, and see that He is indeed like Jesus Christ, we trust Him, which removes our being anxious. Are we anxious about what Christ thinks of us? If not, we shouldn't be anxious of what God thinks of us either.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/07/09 06:42 PM

If I understand you correctly, I agree with what you're saying. That's why I think the oft-asked question, "Are you saved?" is asked and answered by immature people. Mature people don't normally think in terms of avoiding bad things and gaining good things, but of being with God. (BTW, I touched on this in my sermon on the Consecration chapter of SC.)

But there is another angle. When you are standing naked in front of another person, say your doctor, feelings of self-consciousness and embarrassment are natural. That's because there are physical imperfections. Even if we can't specify what imperfections we are embarrassed about, even if there aren't any that human eyes could see, the feeling remains. I believe that applies spiritually also, even in the 144k.

Of course, there are those who are unashamed in flaunting their physical attributes. They have a supreme sense of pride in their bodies, and don't mind letting others ogle. I think this also happens spiritually, when we are proud of our "body of work."

The solution is to ever remember that God is looking at Christ. So for the embarrassed, don't worry about it because God is looking at Jesus, not you. For the proud, don't think that your accomplishments are all that because God is looking at Jesus, not you.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/07/09 10:16 PM

Quote:
The solution is to ever remember that God is looking at Christ. So for the embarrassed, don't worry about it because God is looking at Jesus, not you.

This is what I'm suggesting is an intermediate step. If we are anxious about God, then it's nice to think of God as looking at Christ instead of us. However, if we're not anxious about God's looking at us, there's no need. Of course, when God looks at us, He sees as as we really are.

God doesn't need a filter; we do. The problem is with how we see God, not how He sees us. If it helps us to perceive of God as looking at Jesus, OK, that's better than being afraid of God. But why be afraid in the first place?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/08/09 06:30 AM

Then we're not seeing the same thing.

You're talking about being afraid of God. I'm talking about being embarrassed.

Try to imagine being in the comfort of your own home, by yourself, completely naked. Afraid? No. Embarrassed? No.

Then install a camera that broadcasts everything on national TV. Afraid? Nothing to be afraid of; still as safe as ever. Embarrassed? Maybe a little.

When the prophets came face-to-face with the undimmed holiness of God, what was the reaction? Fell on their faces. Comeliness turned into corruption.

What about when the 144k are living without a Mediator? They don't strut around proclaiming, "Hey, God's my buddy. There's nothing to worry about." The SOP gives us a different picture.

What about unfallen angels in the presence of God? The ones with 6 wings only use 2 to fly, 67% of their wing area is used to cover themselves. Afraid? I don't think so.

I see what you're seeing, and I agree. I hope you're getting a glimpse now of what I'm seeing.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/08/09 08:32 PM

Quote:

Tom, did you overlook where I pointed out this insight earlier on this thread? I don't disagree with what you wrote. My comments are completely consistent with the whole picture.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/08/09 08:34 PM

Quote:

i couldnt find the words. thank you. thanks

Teresaq, are you afraid to believe God is pleased with your walk and progress in righteousness and true holiness?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/08/09 08:41 PM

True, we are called to overcome sin and obey God. And by God's grace, it can be accomplished.

But there are shades of meaning and varying degrees of overcoming and obeying. The obedience required of the high priest is not the same as that required of the toddler. But to our discussion at hand, the high priest should have a much clearer view of the magnitude of God's glory that he should have a much clearer view of his shortcomings.

Quote:
But he who is truly seeking for holiness of heart and life delights in the law of God, and mourns only that he falls so far short of meeting its requirements. {SL 81.1}

When we get a good view of God's glory, and truly desire to reflect it in our own character, His light will clearly reveal that we fall short of His glory.

Even in the New Earth we shall come far short of the glory of God. This isn't referring to sin, though; instead, it is referring to maturation. Eternity isn't long enough for us to exhaust our potential to become more like Jesus. Becoming more like Jesus has nothing to do with discovering unknown sins and overcoming them. On the contrary, it means maturing more and more in the fruits of the Spirit. You seem to be implying it means gradually outgrowing sinful habits.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/08/09 08:50 PM

it sounds like there are some who can only see an either/or and not a third path.

no one, as far as i know, is saying anything about "focusing on our deformities". to the contrary. as we look at Jesus, really look at Jesus, we become more and more conscious of our deformities. but we are always to keep our eyes and Jesus, study His life, meditate on it, and in so doing as well as appropriating the bible promises we become more and more like Him.

Teresaq, you seem to be implying that becoming more and more like Jesus means becoming less and less like Satan. The Bible says that those believers who are abiding in Jesus do not and cannot sin. If we take this promise and description at face value it means they do not and cannot sin while they are abiding in Jesus. If this is the case then it also means their imperfections and defects and weaknesses do not constitute a sin. IOW, they are not sinning simply because they have them. Having them and indulging them are two totally different realities. So as long as believers rein in their defects, weaknesses, and imperfections they are not guilty of sinning. Do you see what I'm getting at?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/09/09 01:47 AM

Teresaq, you seem to be implying that becoming more and more like Jesus means becoming less and less like Satan. The Bible says that those believers who are abiding in Jesus do not and cannot sin. If we take this promise and description at face value it means they do not and cannot sin while they are abiding in Jesus. If this is the case then it also means their imperfections and defects and weaknesses do not constitute a sin. IOW, they are not sinning simply because they have them. Having them and indulging them are two totally different realities. So as long as believers rein in their defects, weaknesses, and imperfections they are not guilty of sinning. Do you see what I'm getting at?

is it possible for a sunday keeper to be "abiding in Jesus"?
is he sinning by keeping sunday instead of the sabbath if he does not know about the sabbath?

is it possible for a heathen to be "abiding in Jesus" even tho he knows nothing of the bible or Jesus?

is it possible we have a very low estimate of what true sin is?

is it possible the Holy Spirit could be trying to convict us of sin but we do not see it as such? or do not see that we are guilty?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/09/09 09:45 PM

is it possible for a sunday keeper to be "abiding in Jesus"?
is he sinning by keeping sunday instead of the sabbath if he does not know about the sabbath?

is it possible for a heathen to be "abiding in Jesus" even tho he knows nothing of the bible or Jesus?

Yes to all three questions. Are you assuming John had these people in mind when he wrote 1 John 3:6-9? Or, did he have fully informed people in mind?

is it possible we have a very low estimate of what true sin is?

is it possible the Holy Spirit could be trying to convict us of sin but we do not see it as such? or do not see that we are guilty?

Yes to both questions. But again are you assuming John had these people in mind when he wrote 1 John 3:6-9? Or, did he have fully informed people in mind?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/10/09 04:00 AM

i would rather not make any assumptions about what kind of people john had in mind, especially not in my faulty, fallen, human state. i also believe it best to not try to "make the scriptures fit together" for the same reason.

wouldnt you agree?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/10/09 05:38 AM

Even in the New Earth we shall come far short of the glory of God. This isn't referring to sin, though; instead, it is referring to maturation. Eternity isn't long enough for us to exhaust our potential to become more like Jesus. Becoming more like Jesus has nothing to do with discovering unknown sins and overcoming them. On the contrary, it means maturing more and more in the fruits of the Spirit. You seem to be implying it means gradually outgrowing sinful habits.

I understand what you're saying about falling short of God's glory. Infinite glory is hard to equal.

However, that's not what the SL 81 quote is talking about. Let's take a closer look at the quote:
Quote:

Let's dissect it a bit.

subject: "he who is truly seeking for holiness of heart and life"
predicate: "falls so far short of meeting its requirements"
antecedent of "it" in the predicate: "law of God"

What does it mean? One who truly seeks holiness falls short of the requirements of God's law, and he knows it.

It's not talking about falling short of God's GLORY, but falling short of the REQUIREMENTS OF GOD'S LAW. And failing to meet the requirements of God's law is sin, isn't it? The SC quotes I posted earlier in this thread teaches the same thing.

So how does that fit in with 1Jn 3:9?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/10/09 05:41 AM

Here's the quote I was talking about:
Quote:
No deep-seated love for Jesus can dwell in the heart that does not realize its own sinfulness. The soul that is transformed by the grace of Christ will admire His divine character; but if we do not see our own moral deformity, it is unmistakable evidence that we have not had a view of the beauty and excellence of Christ. {SC 65.1}

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/10/09 08:56 PM

i would rather not make any assumptions about what kind of people john had in mind, especially not in my faulty, fallen, human state. i also believe it best to not try to "make the scriptures fit together" for the same reason.

wouldnt you agree?

Assumptions are unnecessary. The word of God is too plain to misunderstand. Neither do we have to force passages to fit together. "Here a little and there a little." God is saying the same thing from Genesis to Revelation, from Acts of the Apostles to Welfare Ministry.

BTW, since you are unwilling to say John had a certain type of believer in mind to the exclusion of other types, is it safe to say it is possible he did?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/10/09 09:24 PM

M: Even in the New Earth we shall come far short of the glory of God. This isn't referring to sin, though; instead, it is referring to maturation. Eternity isn't long enough for us to exhaust our potential to become more like Jesus. Becoming more like Jesus has nothing to do with discovering unknown sins and overcoming them. On the contrary, it means maturing more and more in the fruits of the Spirit. You seem to be implying it means gradually outgrowing sinful habits.
A: I understand what you're saying about falling short of God's glory. Infinite glory is hard to equal.

Is it “hard” or impossible? Listen - Christ is our pattern, the perfect and holy example that has been given us to follow. We can never equal the Pattern, but we may imitate and resemble it according to our ability. {TMK 265.2}

Quote:
A: However, that's not what the SL 81 quote is talking about. Let's take a closer look at the quote - But he who is truly seeking for holiness of heart and life delights in the law of God, and mourns only that he falls so far short of meeting its requirements. {SL 81.1} Let's dissect it a bit.

subject: "he who is truly seeking for holiness of heart and life"
predicate: "falls so far short of meeting its requirements"
antecedent of "it" in the predicate: "law of God"

What does it mean? One who truly seeks holiness falls short of the requirements of God's law, and he knows it. It's not talking about falling short of God's GLORY, but falling short of the REQUIREMENTS OF GOD'S LAW. And failing to meet the requirements of God's law is sin, isn't it? The SC quotes I posted earlier in this thread teaches the same thing. So how does that fit in with 1Jn 3:9?

Here’s the context of the quote:

Those who have genuine love for God will manifest an earnest desire to know His will and to do it. Says the apostle John, whose epistles treat so fully upon love, "This is the love of God, that we keep his commandments" (1 John 5:3). The child who loves his parents will show that love by willing obedience; but the selfish, ungrateful child seeks to do as little as possible for his parents, while he at the same time desires to enjoy all the privileges granted to the obedient and faithful. The same difference is seen among those who profess to be children of God. Many who know that they are the objects of His love and care, and who desire to receive His blessing, take no delight in doing His will. They regard God's claims upon them as an unpleasant restraint, His commandments as a grievous yoke. But he who is truly seeking for holiness of heart and life delights in the law of God, and mourns only that he falls so far short of meeting its requirements. {SL 81.1}

In this passage Ellen is contrasting those who obey and disobey the law of God. Those who realize they fall far short of meeting the requirements of the law are not admitting that they are transgressing the law. Ellen is not saying they are sinning. Instead, falling short is a reference to their immaturity, the difference between babes and seasoned saints, the difference between moonlight and sunlight. Eternity isn’t long enough to exhaust our ability and potential to become more and more like Jesus. Amen!

Also, the law envisions the kind of obedience and maturity that Jesus demonstrated while here in the flesh. Compared to Jesus we fall far short, way short. However, the difference between the level of maturity Jesus reached and our current level of maturity is not measured in terms of sin and darkness but rather in terms of light and righteousness. Just as there are degrees of sins, so too, there are degrees of righteousness. “God does not regard all sins as of equal magnitude; there are degrees of guilt in His estimation . . . {SC 30.1}

Quote:
A: Here's the quote I was talking about - No deep-seated love for Jesus can dwell in the heart that does not realize its own sinfulness. The soul that is transformed by the grace of Christ will admire His divine character; but if we do not see our own moral deformity, it is unmistakable evidence that we have not had a view of the beauty and excellence of Christ. {SC 65.1}

Again, she isn’t saying they are committing sins. Realizing we have defects, weaknesses, and imperfections is not the same thing as saying we are guilty of indulging them. You seem to think it is. Why?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/11/09 04:34 AM

M: Even in the New Earth we shall come far short of the glory of God. This isn't referring to sin, though; instead, it is referring to maturation. Eternity isn't long enough for us to exhaust our potential to become more like Jesus. Becoming more like Jesus has nothing to do with discovering unknown sins and overcoming them. On the contrary, it means maturing more and more in the fruits of the Spirit. You seem to be implying it means gradually outgrowing sinful habits.
A: I understand what you're saying about falling short of God's glory. Infinite glory is hard to equal.

Is it “hard” or impossible?

I need to polish my skill in the art of understatement. Perhaps William can tutor me.

Anyway, yes, it is impossible.

In this passage Ellen is contrasting those who obey and disobey the law of God. Those who realize they fall far short of meeting the requirements of the law are not admitting that they are transgressing the law. Ellen is not saying they are sinning. Instead, falling short is a reference to their immaturity, the difference between babes and seasoned saints, the difference between moonlight and sunlight. Eternity isn’t long enough to exhaust our ability and potential to become more and more like Jesus. Amen!

For months now you have been defending your teaching that we are morally perfect when we are born again. But you also believe that we will spend eternity failing to meet the requirements of God's law. We surely do not see eye-to-eye on basic definitions of "moral perfection" and "God's law." Failure to meet the requirements of God's law is a sin, and is moral IMperfection.

Quote:
A: Here's the quote I was talking about - No deep-seated love for Jesus can dwell in the heart that does not realize its own sinfulness. The soul that is transformed by the grace of Christ will admire His divine character; but if we do not see our own moral deformity, it is unmistakable evidence that we have not had a view of the beauty and excellence of Christ. {SC 65.1}

Again, she isn’t saying they are committing sins. Realizing we have defects, weaknesses, and imperfections is not the same thing as saying we are guilty of indulging them. You seem to think it is. Why?

Some phrases from the quote:
its own sinfulness
moral deformity

While those should not necessarily be classified as "committing sins" they are sins nonetheless. (We non-postlaps believe that sin encompasses more than just what we do or do not commit.)

Don't you think the people described in the quote - the soul that is transformed by the grace of Christ - are born again? How do you reconcile the fact that they are morally deformed, and your belief that they are morally perfect?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/11/09 07:35 AM

Quote:
(We non-postlaps believe that sin encompasses more than just what we do or do not commit.)

The question of sin is a deep one. Certainly the context is important to take into account when considering inspired statements.

At any rate, here is something one well known postlap said regarding sin:

Quote:
Sin is in every fiber of our being by nature. We are born in sin, and our life is sin, so that sin can not be taken from us without taking our life. What I need is freedom from my own personal sin,--that sin which not only has been committed by me personally, but which dwells in the heart,--the sin which constitutes the whole of my life. (The Glad Tidings)

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/11/09 07:39 AM

Quote:
Yes to all three questions. Are you assuming John had these people in mind when he wrote 1 John 3:6-9? Or, did he have fully informed people in mind?

He had in mind people who believed in Christ. What he wrote had nothing at all to do with being "informed." John was talking about love (read the chapter for the context). John was saying that a person who believes in Christ will obey His commandment to love. Love is not dependent upon being "fully informed" but upon a transformation of heart.

It would be absurd to suggest that Sunday-keepers cannot be transformed by Christ and obey His commandment to love.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/11/09 08:06 AM

Quote:

He had in mind people who believed in Christ. What he wrote had nothing at all to do with being "informed." John was talking about love (read the chapter for the context). John was saying that a person who believes in Christ will obey His commandment to love. Love is not dependent upon being "fully informed" but upon a transformation of heart.

It would be absurd to suggest that Sunday-keepers cannot be transformed by Christ and obey His commandment to love.

thanks
in rereading that book it also seemed motivational to me. i hadnt seen it that way before.

mountain man, the minute you were born did you pop out knowing how to walk, talk, feed yourself, dress yourself, or did you have to develop into being able to do those things?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/11/09 06:50 PM

M: Is it “hard” or impossible?

A: I need to polish my skill in the art of understatement. Perhaps William can tutor me. Anyway, yes, it is impossible.

I figured you were employing the art of understatement. However, I'm not entirely clear what you believe. Do you think believers (not including the 144,000) can reach the point here and now where they are living in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded? "Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you." Or, do you believe that such a state is impossible except for the 144,000?

Eternity isn't long enough for us to exhaust our potential to become more like Jesus. Becoming more like Jesus has nothing to do with discovering unknown sins and overcoming them. On the contrary, it means maturing more and more in the fruits of the Spirit. You seem to be implying it means gradually outgrowing sinful habits. Or, have I misunderstood your view? Please explain.

Quote:
M: In this passage Ellen is contrasting those who obey and disobey the law of God. Those who realize they fall far short of meeting the requirements of the law are not admitting that they are transgressing the law. Ellen is not saying they are sinning. Instead, falling short is a reference to their immaturity, the difference between babes and seasoned saints, the difference between moonlight and sunlight. Eternity isn’t long enough to exhaust our ability and potential to become more and more like Jesus. Amen!

A: For months now you have been defending your teaching that we are morally perfect when we are born again. But you also believe that we will spend eternity failing to meet the requirements of God's law. We surely do not see eye-to-eye on basic definitions of "moral perfection" and "God's law." Failure to meet the requirements of God's law is a sin, and is moral IMperfection.

You have yet to post anything that supports the idea that Ellen White meant what you are saying about it. She was not saying they are guilty of sinning. The requirements of the law envision the level of maturation Jesus reached during His earthly sojourn. The law doesn't merely forbid sinning; it also requires absolute perfection. Eternity isn't long enough for us to reach a point where the law no longer points us to a higher and holier state of righteousness. You don't seem to agree with this insight and/or interpretation of what Ellen White wrote about it. Why?

Quote:

M: Again, she isn’t saying they are committing sins. Realizing we have defects, weaknesses, and imperfections is not the same thing as saying we are guilty of indulging them. You seem to think it is. Why?

A: Some phrases from the quote:

its own sinfulness
moral deformity

While those should not necessarily be classified as "committing sins" they are sins nonetheless. (We non-postlaps believe that sin encompasses more than just what we do or do not commit.)

Don't you think the people described in the quote - the soul that is transformed by the grace of Christ - are born again? How do you reconcile the fact that they are morally deformed, and your belief that they are morally perfect?

We post-laps also believe sin includes issues that reach to the core of man and motive. However, we do not believe a person is guilty of sinning simply because they exist. Of course this is the root of the problem between pre- and post-laps as it pertains to whether or not Jesus is like us.

I'm glad you're willing to admit that "sinfulness" and "moral deformity" do not necessarily mean people are sinning. Which is precisely how I reconcile her comments about moral defects, weaknesses, imperfections and my comments about moral perfection. Again, merely having these sinful things within us and actually indulging them in sinful ways are two entirely different realities. Do you agree?

For example, having a sinful predisposition to drugs or drink does not constitute sinning. We are not guilty of sinning until we act out our inherited propensities (inclinations, tendencies). Sinful flesh can beg us all day long to express and experience our innocent and legitimate needs in sinful ways without corrupting us. The clamorings of sinful flesh do contaminate us or cause us to be guilty of sinning in the sight of God. You seem to disagree with this interpretation. Why?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/11/09 07:05 PM

M: Yes to all three questions. Are you assuming John had these people in mind when he wrote 1 John 3:6-9? Or, did he have fully informed people in mind?

T: He had in mind people who believed in Christ. What he wrote had nothing at all to do with being "informed." John was talking about love (read the chapter for the context). John was saying that a person who believes in Christ will obey His commandment to love. Love is not dependent upon being "fully informed" but upon a transformation of heart.

Elsewhere you have implied that believers are born again ignorantly practicing some of the sins they cultivated prior to rebirth. You quote 1 John 3:6-9 to prove it. You said something to the effect that we must "insert" this idea when reading descriptions of believers like the one in 1 John 3:6-9. So, let me ask - Where in the Bible do you think it describes believers who do not sin either willfully or ignorantly?

Quote:
T: It would be absurd to suggest that Sunday-keepers cannot be transformed by Christ and obey His commandment to love.

Do you think they experience and manifest love like Jesus did? Or, do you think the fact they are ignorantly breaking the law of God prevents them from fully experiencing love like Jesus did? Please bear in mind the following insight - "Love is the fulfilling of the law."

PS - Please understand that I'm *not* saying Christians who ignorantly break the law of God are incapable of experiencing love. All I'm saying is that ignorantly breaking the law prevents them from fully experiencing love like those who "keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus". Do you see what I mean?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/11/09 07:34 PM

t: i would rather not make any assumptions about what kind of people john had in mind, especially not in my faulty, fallen, human state. i also believe it best to not try to "make the scriptures fit together" for the same reason. wouldnt you agree?

M: Assumptions are unnecessary. The word of God is too plain to misunderstand. Neither do we have to force passages to fit together. "Here a little and there a little." God is saying the same thing from Genesis to Revelation, from Acts of the Apostles to Welfare Ministry. BTW, since you are unwilling to say John had a certain type of believer in mind to the exclusion of other types, is it safe to say it is possible he did?

T: mountain man, the minute you were born did you pop out knowing how to walk, talk, feed yourself, dress yourself, or did you have to develop into being able to do those things?

I had to develop them. But I don’t understand how this addresses the points I’ve been making in response to your comments and queries. I assume you mean to imply newborn babes in Christ are not born again with the ability to walk in the Spirit and sin not. Do you know where in the Bible or the SOP this idea is advocated? If so, please post it here.

Peter wrote the following description of a newborn babe:

1 Peter
2:1 Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
2:3 If so be ye have tasted that the Lord [is] gracious.

Peter describes newborn babes as those people who have tasted that the Lord is gracious and have laid aside “all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings”.

John describes people who have “no guile” in the Revelation. He wrote, “And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.” (Rev 14:5)

James describes people who “offend not in word” and concludes that such people are “perfect”. He wrote, “If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.” (James 3:2)

Peter, John, and James are describing the same experience. Peter applies this experience to newborn babes. From Peter’s perspective newborn babes are very functional Christians. In fact, they are imitating Jesus’ example. He wrote, “For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth.” (1 Peter 2:21, 22)

You seem to be implying newborn babes come far short of what Peter says about them. Or, did I misunderstand you? Please understand that I'm *not* saying the type of newborn babes Peter described have no more room to grow in grace or to mature in the fruits of the Spirit. Instead, like Jesus, they begin perfect (sinless) and become perfect (mature more and more in the fruits of the Spirit). Do you see what I mean?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/12/09 03:20 AM

Quote:
Elsewhere you have implied that believers are born again ignorantly practicing some of the sins they cultivated prior to rebirth.

No, this is your language, not mine. I've not, of mine own volition, spoken in these terms. You've asked me questions which I've responded to. AFAIK my thoughts on this matter are like yours in regards to people in "Group 1," people you say are not "fully informed."

Quote:
You quote 1 John 3:6-9 to prove it. You said something to the effect that we must "insert" this idea when reading descriptions of believers like the one in 1 John 3:6-9. So, let me ask - Where in the Bible do you think it describes believers who do not sin either willfully or ignorantly?

No, MM, these are not my thoughts. I don't think 1 John 3:6-9 has anything to do with this subject.

Quote:
T: It would be absurd to suggest that Sunday-keepers cannot be transformed by Christ and obey His commandment to love.

M:Do you think they experience and manifest love like Jesus did?

Some do. ("like" meaning in a similar manner; of course we all fall short of Christ).

Quote:
Or, do you think the fact they are ignorantly breaking the law of God prevents them from fully experiencing love like Jesus did? Please bear in mind the following insight - "Love is the fulfilling of the law."

Some Sunday-keepers are wonderful Christians. I think any Christian, whether Adventist or not, would only benefit by having a better understanding of God's character, and of course, the law is a transcript of God's character.

Quote:
PS - Please understand that I'm *not* saying Christians who ignorantly break the law of God are incapable of experiencing love. All I'm saying is that ignorantly breaking the law prevents them from fully experiencing love like those who "keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus". Do you see what I mean?

I don't think ignorantly breaking the law is really the crucial thing so much as misunderstanding God's character. Do you see what I mean? smile

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/14/09 06:07 PM

Tom, do you agree with the following description of newborn babes?

1 Peter
2:1 Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

Peter describes newborn babes as those people who have tasted that the Lord is gracious and have laid aside “all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings”.

John describes people who have “no guile” in the Revelation. He wrote, “And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.” (Rev 14:5)

James describes people who “offend not in word” and concludes that such people are “perfect”. He wrote, “If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.” (James 3:2)

Peter, John, and James are describing the same experience. Peter applies this experience to newborn babes. From Peter’s perspective newborn babes are very functional Christians. In fact, they are imitating Jesus’ example. He wrote, “For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth.” (1 Peter 2:21, 22)

You seem to be implying newborn babes come far short of what Peter says about them. Or, did I misunderstand you? Please understand that I'm *not* saying the type of newborn babes Peter described have no more room to grow in grace or to mature in the fruits of the Spirit. Instead, like Jesus, they begin perfect (sinless) and become perfect (mature more and more in the fruits of the Spirit). Do you see what I mean?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/15/09 01:01 AM

Quote:

I'm not following you. ASAIK my view is the same as yours in reference to how you see "Group 1" people. Do you see some difference in our views? If so, what is it?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/16/09 06:12 PM

Tom, I do not believe Peter is describing Group 1. I believe he is describing Group 2. The only place in the Bible, that I know of, where it talks about some of the people in Group 1 is Rom 2:13-15.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/16/09 08:49 PM

We disagree regarding this, as I think there's only one group, what you call Group 1. However, regarding the characteristics of Group 1, I don't think we disagree.

Actually, I could see having a Group 2, which, for me, would incorporate the 144,000. However, I wouldn't see Peter as dealing with this group.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/17/09 03:40 AM

Quote:
(We non-postlaps believe that sin encompasses more than just what we do or do not commit.)

The question of sin is a deep one. Certainly the context is important to take into account when considering inspired statements.

True.

At any rate, here is something one well known postlap said regarding sin:

Quote:
Sin is in every fiber of our being by nature. We are born in sin, and our life is sin, so that sin can not be taken from us without taking our life. What I need is freedom from my own personal sin,--that sin which not only has been committed by me personally, but which dwells in the heart,--the sin which constitutes the whole of my life. (The Glad Tidings)

"Sin is in every fiber of our being by nature." Does this require consent or volition?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/17/09 03:55 AM

"In every fiber of our being by nature" does not seem to be speaking of volition to me. What do you think?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/17/09 05:13 PM

Bump for Tom.

Tom, do you agree with the following description of newborn babes?

1 Peter

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/17/09 05:36 PM

Quote:

I agree with Peter.

If I understand you correctly, you see Peter is dealing with newborn babes who fall in your "Group 2" category (which I'll describe later, in case others are reading this who don't understand what "Group 2" or "Group 1" means). I disagree with this idea. I think there is only a Group 1, and Peter is discussing new believers from that Group.

For any interested bystanders, MM believers there are two groups of born again people. "Group 2" converts are those who are "fully informed" when they are converted of "everything that Jesus commanded" which consists of the 28 fundamental beliefs of the SDA church. "Group 1" converts are those who were converted not knowing some of these doctrines. "Group 1" people can sin ignorantly, but "Group 2" people cannot. Any born again believer who has been educated in the 28 fundamental beliefs cannot sin, even ignorantly, as long as they are abiding in Jesus.

MM believes that all of Scripture, with one exception in Romans 2, is dealing with "Group 2" believers (Clarification, MM. All of Scripture, or all of the NT?)

I'm summarizing this to make sure I'm understood your position correctly, MM, and in case anyone else wants to join in the discussion.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/25/09 05:04 AM

"In every fiber of our being by nature" does not seem to be speaking of volition to me. What do you think?

I agree. So Waggoner spoke of sin which did not need volition or consent.

Did Jesus need to die for such sin?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/25/09 05:14 AM

Yes, but not for forensic reasons.
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/26/09 12:28 AM

Ok, maybe this is not the right thread for what will follow, but it is at least a loose fit and it is to late to work more to find another one. So here goes.

What is righteousness? That depends on your position. For a judge, righteousness is giving right judgements. For the defendant and the prosecutor, righteousness is when the judgement falls in your favour.

What is sin? Sin is the corruption of creation and especially of humans/humanity which leads us to try and fill our longing for the best with other things or persons than God. Only God can provide what we need and whenever we are seeking that which only God can give in something less than God, it is sin. All humans are sinners with no exception save of Jesus.

God as the creator is the rightful Judge over the whole universe, but He has granted the judgement over earth to Jesus because of Jesus victory on the cross. Therefore, whom of us that will be found righteous is entierly in Jesus judgement. We have reason to believe that He will judge the child righteous because He said that the kingdom is for such as these. He has also called everyone to believe in Him and to follow Him. But it is still so that anyone who has believed in Him and followed Him is not righteous due to what he or she has done but only because Jesus pronouncess him or her righteous in his Judgement.

What think thee?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/26/09 02:23 AM

if sin is the transgression of the law,

and the law is summarized by,
Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

with Jesus asking us to go even deeper,
Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

with the addition of just a few of the many texts:
Rom 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
Rom 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Rom 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Gal 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Gal 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

1Ti 1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane

Jas 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

Jas 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

so is there any child born with perfect love?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/26/09 03:51 AM

Quote:
So is there any child born with perfect love?

God is agape (perfect love). Only one child was born God.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/29/09 06:55 PM

M: You seem to be implying newborn babes come far short of what Peter says about them. Or, did I misunderstand you? Please understand that I'm *not* saying the type of newborn babes Peter described have no more room to grow in grace or to mature in the fruits of the Spirit. Instead, like Jesus, they begin perfect (sinless) and become perfect (mature more and more in the fruits of the Spirit). Do you see what I mean?

T: I agree with Peter. If I understand you correctly, you see Peter is dealing with newborn babes who fall in your "Group 2" category (which I'll describe later, in case others are reading this who don't understand what "Group 2" or "Group 1" means). I disagree with this idea. I think there is only a Group 1, and Peter is discussing new believers from that Group.

For any interested bystanders, MM believers there are two groups of born again people. "Group 2" converts are those who are "fully informed" when they are converted of "everything that Jesus commanded" which consists of the 28 fundamental beliefs of the SDA church. "Group 1" converts are those who were converted not knowing some of these doctrines. "Group 1" people can sin ignorantly, but "Group 2" people cannot. Any born again believer who has been educated in the 28 fundamental beliefs cannot sin, even ignorantly, as long as they are abiding in Jesus.

MM believes that all of Scripture, with one exception in Romans 2, is dealing with "Group 2" believers (Clarification, MM. All of Scripture, or all of the NT?)

I'm summarizing this to make sure I'm understood your position correctly, MM, and in case anyone else wants to join in the discussion.

Yes, Tom, your summary of Group 1 and 2 is correct, as I see it. But if I hear you right, you're saying Peter's description of a newborn babe (in 1 Peter 2:1-3) applies to Group 1. Please name examples of sins Peter's description allows for.

I also hear you saying there is no such thing as Group 2. "I think there is only a Group 1 . . ." Are you saying nowhere in the Bible is Group 2 described?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/29/09 06:57 PM

Teresaq, originally post 111883 was addressed to you. What are your thoughts?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/29/09 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: västergötland
Ok, maybe this is not the right thread for what will follow, but it is at least a loose fit and it is to late to work more to find another one. So here goes.

What is righteousness? That depends on your position. For a judge, righteousness is giving right judgements. For the defendant and the prosecutor, righteousness is when the judgement falls in your favour.

What is sin? Sin is the corruption of creation and especially of humans/humanity which leads us to try and fill our longing for the best with other things or persons than God. Only God can provide what we need and whenever we are seeking that which only God can give in something less than God, it is sin. All humans are sinners with no exception save of Jesus.

God as the creator is the rightful Judge over the whole universe, but He has granted the judgement over earth to Jesus because of Jesus victory on the cross. Therefore, whom of us that will be found righteous is entierly in Jesus judgement. We have reason to believe that He will judge the child righteous because He said that the kingdom is for such as these. He has also called everyone to believe in Him and to follow Him. But it is still so that anyone who has believed in Him and followed Him is not righteous due to what he or she has done but only because Jesus pronouncess him or her righteous in his Judgement.

What think thee?

What do you think sin and righteousness means to God as it relates to us?

Also, are you implying it is not possible for us in this lifetime to arrive at a point where we experience sinless righteousness like Jesus did while He was here in sinful flesh?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/29/09 08:43 PM

I think my first post does explore both sin and righteousness from Gods and mankinds perspectives. You would have to give more specific questions to go the next step.

Sinless righteousness, physical and mental restoration of the believer through the judgment of God/Jesus. I wonder if giving a foretaste of this is not one of the duties of the Holy Spirit, being a firstfruit, a deposit and a seal of what is to come to those who have believed. A search using "spirit" as keyword in the NT letters will illustrate this.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 04/30/09 05:43 PM

"Sin is the transgression of the law." That's what God thinks about it. Is that what you are saying? And, righteousness is living in harmony with the law. Is that what you're saying?

You wrote, "Sinless righteousness, physical and mental restoration of the believer through the judgment of God/Jesus." Do you mean to say, Sinless righteousness = physical and mental restoration of the believer through the judgment of God/Jesus.

I don't understand your comment. What does physical restoration have to do with the sinless righteousness Jesus demonstrated while He was here in sinful flesh? Also, what part does judgment play? What do you mean by "judgment"?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/02/09 01:37 AM

Quote:

What do you mean? Please elaborate.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/02/09 01:53 AM

...But it is still so that anyone who has believed in Him and followed Him is not righteous due to what he or she has done but only because Jesus pronouncess him or her righteous in his Judgement.

What think thee?

I think I agree with what you said, but I don't think it's complete. Of course, it is impossible to be comprehensive in a couple of paragraphs.

While it is true that we are not saved by the righteous works which we have done, and some would argue that our righteousnesses are filthy rags, it is also true that he who does righteousness is righteous. IOW, the acceptance of Christ's righteousness results in an experience of personal righteousness by the believer. In short, taking God's external righteousness makes it internal, which is kind of obvious now that I look at it.

I agree with the forensic aspect of what you wrote, but it makes God look subjective. If I were to present it, I would include the objective aspects of the judgment.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/02/09 03:48 AM

Quote:

What do you mean? Please elaborate.

Dude! You have to respond more quickly! I know that at the time I wrote this I knew exactly what I was thinking. Now I've got to try to go back and remember, which gets harder as time goes on (by which I mean, as I grow older).

Let's see if I can find something by Waggoner that I think I had in mind. I found it, but it took awhile (thanks for waiting). Since this is a long quote, I'll do it without the quote thingy:

3. Now as to the rendering of the expression “under the law,” in Galatians 4:4. I have no fault to find with the rendering, “born under the law,” but think that it is the correct rendering. I will go farther than you do, and will offer some Scripture evidence on this point. John 1:1, 14: “in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.” The word rendered “made” is the same as that in Galatians 4:4, and evidently signifies “born.” The Word was God, yet was born flesh of the Virgin Mary. I don’t know how it could be so; I simply accept the Bible statement. Now read Romans 8:3, and you will learn the nature of the flesh which the Word was made:— “For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh.” Christ was born in the likeness of sinful flesh.

Philippians 2:5-7: “Have this mind in you, which was also in Christ Jesus; who, being in the form of God, counted it not a prize to be on an equality with God, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men.” Revised version. Now note the next verse: “And being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself, becoming obedient even unto death, yea, the death of the cross.” And now compare the above with,
Hebrews 2:9: “But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honor; that He by the grace of God should taste death for every man.”

These texts show that Christ took upon Himself man’s nature, and that as a consequence He was subject to death. He came into the world on purpose to die; and so from the beginning of His earthly life He was in the same condition that the men are in whom He died to save.

Now read, Romans 1:3: The gospel of God, “concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David accord ing to the flesh.”

What was the nature of David, “according to the flesh”? Sinful, was it not? David says: “Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.” Psalm 51:5.

Don’t start in horrified astonishment; I am not implying that Christ was a sinner. I shall explain more fully in a few moments. But first I wish to quote, Hebrews 2:16, 17: “For verily He took not on Him the nature of angels; but He took on Him the seed of Abraham. Wherefore in all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.”

His being made in all things like unto His brethren, is the same as His being made in the likeness of sinful flesh, “made in the likeness of men.” One of the most encouraging things in the Bible is the knowledge that Christ took on Him the nature of man; to know that His ancestors according to the flesh were sinners.

When we read the record of the lives of the ancestors of Christ, and see that they had all the weaknesses and passions that we have, we find that no man has any right to excuse his sinful acts on the ground of heredity. If Christ had not been made in all things like unto His brethren, then His sinless life would be no encouragement to us. We might look at it with admiration, but it would be the admiration that would cause hopeless despair.

And now as another parallel to Galatians 4:4, and a further source of encouragement to us, I will quote,
2 Corinthians 5:21: “For He hath made Him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him.”

Now when was Jesus made sin for us? It must have been when He was made flesh, and began to suffer the temptations and infirmities that are incident to sinful flesh. He passed through every phase of human experience, being “in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.”

He was a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief.” “He hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows” (Isaiah 53:4); and this scripture is said by Matthew to have been fulfilled long before the crucifixion. So I say that His being born under the law was a necessary consequence of His being born in the likeness of sinful flesh, of taking upon Himself the nature of Abraham. He was made like man, in order that He might undergo the suffering of death. From the earliest childhood the cross was ever before Him.

4. You say:
“That He did voluntarily take the sins of the world upon Him in His great sacrifice upon the cross, we admit; but He was not born under its condemnation. Of Him that was pure, and had never committed a sin in His life, it would be an astonishing perversion of all proper theology to say that He was born under the condemnation of the law.”
It may be a perversion of theology, but it is exactly in harmony with the Bible, and that is the main point. Can you not see that your objection lies as much against your position as it does against mine?

You are shocked at the idea that Jesus was born under the condemnation of the law, because He never committed a sin in His life. But you admit that on the cross He was under the condemnation of the law. What! had He then committed sin? Not by any means. Well, then, if Jesus could be under the condemnation of the law at one time in His life, and be sinless, I see no reason why He could not be under the condemnation of the law at another time, and still be sinless. And Paul declares that God did make Him to be sin for us.

I simply give Scripture facts; I don’t attempt to explain them.

“Without controversy, great is the mystery of godliness.” I cannot understand how God could be manifest in the flesh, and in the likeness of sinful flesh. I do not know how the pure and holy Saviour could endure all the infirmities of humanity, which are the result of sin, and be reckoned as a sinner, and suffer the death of a sinner. I simply accept the Scripture statement, that only so could He be the Saviour of men; and I rejoice in that knowledge, because since He was made sin, I may be made the righteousness of God in Him.

What a wonder! Christ had all the glory of Heaven; we had nothing; and so He “emptied Himself,” became nothing, in order that we might be glorified together with Him, and inherit all things. Christ was sinless, the very embodiment of holiness; we were vile and full of sin, having no good thing in us; He was made sin in order that we might be partakers of His righteousness. Christ was immortal, having life in Himself; we were mortal, doomed to eternal death; He suffered death for us, in order that we might share His immortality. He went to the very lowest depths to which man had fallen, in order that He might lift man to His own exalted throne; yet He never ceased to be God, or lost a particle of His holiness.

5. Again; why was Jesus baptized? He said that it was “to fulfill all righteousness.” We may not say that it was simply as an example; for that would be really denying the vicarious nature of the atonement. It must have been for the same reason that He died, namely, for sin. Not His own sin, but ours; for as in His death, so in His life, our sins were counted as His. And thus it is that He could be all His life, even from His birth, under the condemnation of the law. It was not on His own account, but on ours.

I think that I have shown clearly, by abundance of Scripture testimony, that Christ was born under the condemnation of the law, and that this was necessarily incident to the fact that He was born of a woman; “for man that is born of woman is of few days, and full of trouble;” and this was literally true of Christ. He was in all things like His brethren, in His life of temptation and suffering, and even to length of days; for His earthly life was exactly the length of an average human life.

(end quote).

This is from "The Gospel in Galatians," a wonderful read, which, btw, was passed out to each of the delegates at the 1888 GC in Mpls.

From reading this, it should be clear to see that Waggoner's idea was that Christ was born under the condemnation of the law, that his becoming sin for us encompassed more than his death. Christ's taking our sinful nature comes under that umbrella. While sin is in every fiber of our being by nature, so it was in every fiber of Christ's assumed human nature. We can't say it was in every fiber of Christ's being, because Christ had His own sinless and divine nature.

So there is sin in its tendency, and sin in its commission. Christ took both. It was necessary that He do so in order to heal us ("What He has not assumed, He has not healed.")

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/02/09 04:48 PM

It is true that we read "sin is the transgression of the law". But it is also true that the core of the law is love of God and each other. Sin is transgressing the law and transgression of the law occurs when you disrespect God and/or a fellow human.

Righteousness being living in harmony with the law, we read that such living happens when we come to live according to the Spirit rather than according to the letter. Life according to the Spirit, having the fruits thereof, against this there are no laws. The first is the declaration of God according to His grace, the second is the gift of God according to His grace.

Yes, changing my comma to your "equals" is as I had thought. I think the reason you do not understand my comment is that you lay different content in the word "righteousness", not to mention "sinless righteousness" than I do. I think you see righteousness as a quality that is possessed by the individual while I here propose that righteousness is a quality bestowed upon the individual by the pronouncement of God in judgment.

Quoting from Tom Wrights book What St Paul Really Said, the chapter "good news for Israel"

"For a reader of the Septuagint, the Greek version of the Jewish scriptures, 'the righteousness of God' would have one obvious meaning: God's own faithfulness to his promises, to the covenant. God's 'righteousness', especially in Isaiah 40-55, is that aspect of God's character because of which he saves Israel, despite Israel's perversity and lostness. God has made promises; Israel can trust those promises. God's righteousness is thus cognate with his trustworthiness on the one hand, and Israel's salvation on the other."

and a couple of paragraphs later:

"2. What does it mean to use the language of 'righteousness' in this context? It means something quite different when applied to the judge to what it means when applied to either the plaintiff of the defendant. Applied to the judge, it means (as is clear from the Old Testament) that the judge must try the case according to the law.; that he must be impartial; that he must punish sin as it deserves; and that he must support and uphold those who are defenceless and who have no-one but him to plead their cause. For the judge to be 'righteous', to have and practise 'righteousness' in this forensic setting, is therefore a complex matter to do with the way he handles the case.

3. For the plaintiff and the defendant, however, to be 'righteous' has none of these connotations. They, after all, are not trying the case. Nor, less obviously to us because of the moral overtones the word 'righteous' now has in our own language, does the word mean that they are, before the case starts, morally upright and so deserving to have the verdict go their way. No; for the plaintiff or defendant to be 'righteous' in the biblical sense within the law-court setting is for them to have that status as a result of the decision of the court."

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/02/09 09:16 PM

so, is the bible based on the roman legal system, or the levitical system?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/02/09 09:18 PM

Interesting post, Thomas. A couple of points:

Quote:
It is true that we read "sin is the transgression of the law". But it is also true that the core of the law is love of God and each other. Sin is transgressing the law and transgression of the law occurs when you disrespect God and/or a fellow human.

I fully agree with this, and if one reads John, it is clear that this is the context in which he writes. For example, he speaks, in chapter 3 of 1 John, of how one who is born of God will not sin, but keep His commandments, and explains in a practical way what that means:

Quote:
16 By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 17 But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?
18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.

Now this is simply continuing the definition of righteousness that existed in the OT. For example:

Quote:
He has shown you, O man, what is good;
And what does the LORD require of you
But to do justly,
To love mercy,
And to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

God requires righteousness of us, and this is an eloquent description of what righteousness is. Jesus summed it up as love for God and love for man, the two great commandments. You summed it up similarly.

Quote:
I think you see righteousness as a quality that is possessed by the individual while I here propose that righteousness is a quality bestowed upon the individual by the pronouncement of God in judgment.

This isn't following the preceding part of the post. John says, "He who does righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous." A righteous person is one who respects God and his fellow humans, to use your language. Righteousness is indeed a quality possessed by the individual, and it is manifest in the manner you have described. It's not something we have inherently (all our righteousness are as filthy rags), but it is given to us as free gift received by faith, happening when we are born again.

Quote:
"For a reader of the Septuagint, the Greek version of the Jewish scriptures, 'the righteousness of God' would have one obvious meaning: God's own faithfulness to his promises, to the covenant.

This is right on the mark. The righteousness of God is exactly this: God's faithfulness. The righteousness of God was revealed by Jesus Christ. This is Paul's theme throughout His epistles. As we appreciate God's character, revealed by His Son, we are transformed into the same image, and we begin to live out the righteousness which Christ revealed.

I like the way Ty Gibson puts it, which is that our becoming like God and our perception of His true character dovetail into one process.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/02/09 09:44 PM

so, is the bible based on the roman legal system, or the levitical system?
The part I quoted describes the jewish legal system. However, while Paul most likely writes thorroughly from a jewish perspective, what he writes to a roman audience should be expected to relate to the roman society, for instance its legal system.

The parts of the bible which were written before the romans came around are of course not relating at all to it.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/03/09 01:25 AM

Yes, relating this to what John says about shutting your heart to the needy really brings this much to close to home for comfort. But as we know, an uncomfortable truth is still a truth that needs relating to.

Quote:

This isn't following the preceding part of the post. John says, "He who does righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous." A righteous person is one who respects God and his fellow humans, to use your language. Righteousness is indeed a quality possessed by the individual, and it is manifest in the manner you have described. It's not something we have inherently (all our righteousness are as filthy rags), but it is given to us as free gift received by faith, happening when we are born again.

The question of course is, who does righteousness?
Originally Posted By: Romans 7
13Am I saying that something good caused my death? Certainly not! It was sin that killed me by using something good. Now we can see how terrible and evil sin really is. 14We know that the Law is spiritual. But I am merely a human, and I have been sold as a slave to sin. 15In fact, I don't understand why I act the way I do. I don't do what I know is right. I do the things I hate. 16Although I don't do what I know is right, I agree that the Law is good. 17So I am not the one doing these evil things. The sin that lives in me is what does them.

18I know that my selfish desires won't let me do anything that is good. Even when I want to do right, I cannot. 19Instead of doing what I know is right, I do wrong. 20And so, if I don't do what I know is right, I am no longer the one doing these evil things. The sin that lives in me is what does them.

21The Law has shown me that something in me keeps me from doing what I know is right. 22With my whole heart I agree with the Law of God. 23But in every part of me I discover something fighting against my mind, and it makes me a prisoner of sin that controls everything I do. 24What a miserable person I am. Who will rescue me from this body that is doomed to die? 25Thank God! Jesus Christ will rescue me.

So with my mind I serve the Law of God, although my selfish desires make me serve the law of sin.

Can anyone do righteousness and be righteous thereby? The evidence suggest a negative answer. So what does it take?
Originally Posted By: Romans 8
1If you belong to Christ Jesus, you won't be punished. 2The Holy Spirit will give you life that comes from Christ Jesus and will set you free from sin and death. 3The Law of Moses cannot do this, because our selfish desires make the Law weak. But God set you free when he sent his own Son to be like us sinners and to be a sacrifice for our sin. God used Christ's body to condemn sin. 4He did this, so that we would do what the Law commands by obeying the Spirit instead of our own desires. 5People who are ruled by their desires think only of themselves. Everyone who is ruled by the Holy Spirit thinks about spiritual things. 6If our minds are ruled by our desires, we will die. But if our minds are ruled by the Spirit, we will have life and peace. 7Our desires fight against God, because they do not and cannot obey God's laws. 8If we follow our desires, we cannot please God.

9You are no longer ruled by your desires, but by God's Spirit, who lives in you. People who don't have the Spirit of Christ in them don't belong to him. 10But Christ lives in you. So you are alive because God has accepted you, even though your bodies must die because of your sins. 11Yet God raised Jesus to life! God's Spirit now lives in you, and he will raise you to life by his Spirit.

12My dear friends, we must not live to satisfy our desires. 13If you do, you will die. But you will live, if by the help of God's Spirit you say "No" to your desires. 14Only those people who are led by God's Spirit are his children. 15God's Spirit doesn't make us slaves who are afraid of him. Instead, we become his children and call him our Father. 16God's Spirit makes us sure that we are his children. 17His Spirit lets us know that together with Christ we will be given what God has promised. We will also share in the glory of Christ, because we have suffered with him.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/04/09 07:36 AM

Can anyone do righteousness and be righteous thereby? The evidence suggest a negative answer.

I agree. Doing righteousness is not the cause of being righteous. However, being righteous always causes doing righteousness. IOW, God's bestowal of righteousness results in the person possessing righteousness.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/04/09 09:26 AM

Can anyone do righteousness and be righteous thereby? The evidence suggest a negative answer.

I agree. Doing righteousness is not the cause of being righteous. However, being righteous always causes doing righteousness. IOW, God's bestowal of righteousness results in the person possessing righteousness.
Would you say that being rigteous always causes doing righteousness all of the time? Because saying that would decrease the number of the righteous to, well, one individual in the history of mankind.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/04/09 06:36 PM

I agree with Arnold's point that doing the righteousness does not cause one to be righteous, but the bestowal of righteousness from God results in one's doing righteous.

Quote:
Would you say that being rigtheous always causes doing righteousness all of the time? Because saying that would decrease the number of the righteous to, well, one individual in the history of mankind.

Righteousness is by faith. As long as one exercises faith, one receives the righteousness of God, and is righteous, and practices righteousness, which is simply another way of saying that one is in harmony with the principles of God's government, which involve love for God and love for man. If we exercise unbelief instead of faith, the Holy Spirit convicts of sin, and we have an advocate, Jesus Christ the righteous. God is always ready and willing to forgive us of sin.

However, it's not necessary that we sin. Christ was not the only person who lived righteously continuously for any period of time. It's certainly true that Christ is the only one who live His whole life righteously, but there are people of have accepted the righteousness of Christ and lived righteously.

Just to be clear, our salvation does not depend upon our living righteously, but our living righteously (which, as John describes, is fulfilled in love) testifies of the salvation we receive as a free gift from Christ by faith.

Here's another way of thinking of it. As our hearts become melted by the love of God revealed in the gift of His Son, we may become transformed to the same image, so that we can say with Paul, "For me to live is Christ."

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/05/09 07:03 AM

Would you say that being rigteous always causes doing righteousness all of the time? Because saying that would decrease the number of the righteous to, well, one individual in the history of mankind.

Well, if we're talking about absolute, perfect righteousness, only Jesus fits the bill.

But if we're talking about doing righteousness to the best of our knowledge and ability, every true believer fits that description, all the time. As long as he continues in faith, he is righteous. But if he indulges in unbelief, then he is unrighteous.

Furthermore, when we fall short on those things which are beyond our knowledge or ability, Jesus makes up for those unavoidable deficiencies, and we are judged righteous because He is righteous.

WDYT?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/05/09 07:09 AM

Just to be clear, our salvation does not depend upon our living righteously, but our living righteously (which, as John describes, is fulfilled in love) testifies of the salvation we receive as a free gift from Christ by faith.

I agree, even if it has a little smell of Calvinism.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/05/09 05:50 PM

Quote:
But if we're talking about doing righteousness to the best of our knowledge and ability, every true believer fits that description, all the time. As long as he continues in faith, he is righteous. But if he indulges in unbelief, then he is unrighteous.

This seems to me to be exactly what Scripture teaches.

Quote:
Furthermore, when we fall short on those things which are beyond our knowledge or ability, Jesus makes up for those unavoidable deficiencies, and we are judged righteous because He is righteous.

I think what determines our fate is our character. I don't think unavoidable deficiencies enter into the question. If we are judged righteous simply because Christ is righteous, God could judge everybody righteous, couldn't He? But then there would be the problem of there being people in heaven who hate God, hate the principles of His government, and hate those who love these principles.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/05/09 06:16 PM

Quote:
T:Just to be clear, our salvation does not depend upon our living righteously, but our living righteously (which, as John describes, is fulfilled in love) testifies of the salvation we receive as a free gift from Christ by faith.

A:I agree, even if it has a little smell of Calvinism.

How about, "testifies that we are children of God"? That would seem to be keeping with John's language.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/06/09 03:47 AM

Sounds good also.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/06/09 03:55 AM

I think what determines our fate is our character. I don't think unavoidable deficiencies enter into the question. If we are judged righteous simply because Christ is righteous, God could judge everybody righteous, couldn't He? But then there would be the problem of there being people in heaven who hate God, hate the principles of His government, and hate those who love these principles.

Before the change is fully effected in us, Christ's character stand in place of our character. In terms of that substitution, God could judge everybody righteous. I think this is what Vaster was thinking of.

However, you bring up an important point: there are people who would hate hanging out with God, and would find it torture living with Him. It would be mean of God to make them live with Him forever since they hate Him, so He does not. "The end of those things is death."

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/06/09 04:56 AM

Quote:
Before the change is fully effected in us, Christ's character stand in place of our character.

When a person goes to heaven, they go with the character they have, don't they? Or do you believe their characters are changed in between the time they die and Christ's second coming?

Quote:
In terms of that substitution, God could judge everybody righteous. I think this is what Vaster was thinking of.

What's this in reference to?

Quote:
However, you bring up an important point: there are people who would hate hanging out with God, and would find it torture living with Him. It would be mean of God to make them live with Him forever since they hate Him, so He does not. "The end of those things is death."

Yes, it would be mean. It would be eternal torment. This is why the idea of God's tormenting people with literal fire is crazy. All he'd need to do is not veil His glory and not let them die. As Isa. 33:14, 15 brings out, "Who can dwell with the everlasting burnings? The righteous ..."

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/08/09 06:19 AM

Quote:
Before the change is fully effected in us, Christ's character stand in place of our character.

When a person goes to heaven, they go with the character they have, don't they? Or do you believe their characters are changed in between the time they die and Christ's second coming?

I'm not sure how to answer that. Certainly, some aspects of character are set. But can we say for sure that every thought and feeling - since the moral character is composed of the thoughts and feelings - are godly? How about the feelings of pride that pop up now and again in those of us who have sinful flesh?

In any case, the SOP says that Christ's character stands in place of ours. That means that there is a context in which Christ's character substitutes for ours. Agreed?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/08/09 06:20 AM

Quote:
In terms of that substitution, God could judge everybody righteous. I think this is what Vaster was thinking of.

What's this in reference to?

His first post on this thread.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/08/09 07:20 AM

Where is that?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/08/09 07:22 AM

Quote:
In any case, the SOP says that Christ's character stands in place of ours. That means that there is a context in which Christ's character substitutes for ours. Agreed?

I would agree with this. The SOP also says that our characters will not change upon death, so this can't be that context, can it?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/08/09 01:00 PM

Where is that?

post 112258

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/08/09 01:02 PM

Quote:

I would agree with this. The SOP also says that our characters will not change upon death, so this can't be that context, can it?

It doesn't look like it.

So this "Christ's character in place of ours" must happen some time other than death.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/08/09 09:51 PM

Thanks for the post reference.

Quote:
So this "Christ's character in place of ours" must happen some time other than death.

If Christ's character is standing in the place of ours at some time before death, and at death it isn't, what changes between the time before death and the time at death that makes it unnecessary for Christ's character to stand in place of ours?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/09/09 07:39 AM

Good question. But to avoid going around in useless circles, let's settle something first.

Christ's character stands in the place of ours at some time before death. True?
Posted By: Charity

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/09/09 02:39 PM

Good thread! We're 'in Christ' and covered by His character and blood throughout our lives as I see it. The goal is the restoration of His image in us. If that's accomplished, when we die we relect His image. If we haven't overcome in some area, but God saves us regardless, the imperfection is healed in heaven I think.

Claudia's original suggestion that perfection is more an attitude than a state gave me food for thought. As I was looking at scripture it seems that she is right that the crowning virtue is unselfish love. Everything other virtue however builds us in that direction so that we can't do it all at once. We climb the virtue ladder that Peter describes.
Quote:
1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
1:7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
1:8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make [you that ye shall] neither [be] barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
1:9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
1:11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

So while we are perfect when we have a natural desire to be a blessing in all circumstances we get to that point by climbing Peter's ladder.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/09/09 09:08 PM

Quote:
(Mark)If that's accomplished, when we die we relect His image. If we haven't overcome in some area, but God saves us regardless, the imperfection is healed in heaven I think.

This is from AH 16:

Quote:
If you have become estranged and have failed to be Bible Christians, be converted; for the character you bear in probationary time will be the character you will have at the coming of Christ. If you would be a saint in heaven, you must first be a saint on earth. The traits of character you cherish in life will not be changed by death or by the resurrection. You will come up from the grave with the same disposition you manifested in your home and in society. Jesus does not change the character at His coming. The work of transformation must be done now. Our daily lives are determining our destiny.

Mark, I agree with what you wrote in part, and have questions about it in part. First the part I agree with. I agree with the idea that God will heal us in heaven of those things for which we need healing. This is a precious thought. Surely there are all things we need healing for. Maybe the 144,000 will go through this healing during the time of Jacob's trouble, but the rest of us will need healing.

The part I have questions about is qualifying the healing as having to do with areas in which we haven't overcome. That appears to perhaps be disagreeing with the SOP statement. Do you think it does? I'm certainly open to any explanation you have regarding this, because I think your thought is one in harmony with God's character (That is, God would certainly act the way you have suggested, if it were possible; I'm sure of that. But is it possible?)

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/09/09 09:11 PM

Quote:
Good question. But to avoid going around in useless circles, let's settle something first.

It appears to me that inspiration tells us this is the case, so there must be a sense in which this is true. In order to determine in what sense this is true, I've asked the following question.

If Christ's character is standing in the place of ours at some time before death, and at death it isn't, what changes between the time before death and the time at death that makes it unnecessary for Christ's character to stand in place of ours?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/14/09 04:02 AM

Quote:

It appears to me that inspiration tells us this is the case, so there must be a sense in which this is true.

Glad we agree.

In order to determine in what sense this is true, I've asked the following question.

The quote we've been talking about only says that Christ's character stands in place of ours. Do you have a quote that says that we no longer need Christ's covering at death? Let's dissect it.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/14/09 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
Good thread! We're 'in Christ' and covered by His character and blood throughout our lives as I see it. The goal is the restoration of His image in us. If that's accomplished, when we die we relect His image. If we haven't overcome in some area, but God saves us regardless, the imperfection is healed in heaven I think.

Or, perhaps, it happens in that twinkling of an eye. Or maybe everything must be overcome this side of eternity.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/14/09 02:29 PM

Quote:
T:In order to determine in what sense this is true, I've asked the following question.

A:The quote we've been talking about only says that Christ's character stands in place of ours. Do you have a quote that says that we no longer need Christ's covering at death? Let's dissect it.

By "covering" do you mean the same thing as Christ's character standing in the place of ours? Given our characters do not change at death, why would we need Christ's character to stand in the place of ours at death? Given we do, that would seem to imply we would continue to need His character standing in the place of ours after death, since the character does not change. Is this what you're thinking? If not, what are you thinking?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/16/09 10:28 AM

Quote:
T:In order to determine in what sense this is true, I've asked the following question.

A:The quote we've been talking about only says that Christ's character stands in place of ours. Do you have a quote that says that we no longer need Christ's covering at death? Let's dissect it.

By "covering" do you mean the same thing as Christ's character standing in the place of ours?

Yes. Is there a quote that says Christ's character won't stand in the place of our if we're dead?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/16/09 05:34 PM

Arnold, please answer my questions. The one question you did answer was just a question of clarification. I wanted to make sure I understood you correctly, which you verified. Please go on to the other questions. I'm trying to find out what you're thinking. You shouldn't need to have quotes presented to you to know what you think.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/17/09 01:46 AM

Given our characters do not change at death

That's the point of my investigation. Is that a given? Where are we given that? I want to dig deeper than my previous understanding.

why would we need Christ's character to stand in the place of ours at death?

If our characters do not measure up to the standard of Christ's righteousness, we would need a substitute.

Consider this:
Quote:

The heart that loves Jesus can still have sinfulness. The transformed soul still has moral deformity.

Given we do, that would seem to imply we would continue to need His character standing in the place of ours after death, since the character does not change. Is this what you're thinking? If not, what are you thinking?

It is at the last trump where our corruption is turned into incorruption. So we may need the Mercy Seat/hilasterion until then to cover our corruption.
Posted By: liane

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/17/09 01:51 AM

Just picking at this. One statement says "at our death" the other says "when we are dead."

At the moment we die we better have Jesus covering us, but once we are dead it does not matter because one way or the other we are sealed to eternal death or life.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/17/09 08:12 AM

liane, this is begging the question, why had we better have Jesus covering us at the moment we die? You say after death it doesn't matter, because we are sealed. This seems to imply the deciding point to your way of thinking is whether or not we are sealed.

So let's consider the 144,000, after being sealed. I take it, to your way of thinking, they no longer need the covering of Jesus Christ because they are sealed. Have I understood you correctly?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/17/09 08:21 AM

Quote:
T:Given our characters do not change at death

A:That's the point of my investigation. Is that a given? Where are we given that? I want to dig deeper than my previous understanding.

If we accept Ellen White's statement quoted above, it's a given. For convenience, I'll requote it:

Quote:
If you have become estranged and have failed to be Bible Christians, be converted; for the character you bear in probationary time will be the character you will have at the coming of Christ. If you would be a saint in heaven, you must first be a saint on earth. The traits of character you cherish in life will not be changed by death or by the resurrection. You will come up from the grave with the same disposition you manifested in your home and in society. Jesus does not change the character at His coming. The work of transformation must be done now. Our daily lives are determining our destiny.

Quote:
T:Why would we need Christ's character to stand in the place of ours at death?

A:If our characters do not measure up to the standard of Christ's righteousness, we would need a substitute.

This can't be the reason we need Christ's character to sand in the place of ours at the moment of our death, because the character doesn't change at death. This means if after death we don't needs Christ's covering, then we didn't need it at the moment of death, and, presumably, we didn't need it a moment before death, since at the moment our character would mostly likely be no different than a moment later. Similarly we could argue, going back in time, that we didn't need the covering until we arrive at some point where our character was not Christ-like.

Quote:

The heart that loves Jesus can still have sinfulness. The transformed soul still has moral deformity.

I understand "sinfulness" here to mean "having sinned." That is, I think SC 65.1 would apply for any Christian. That is, I don't think any truly converted person would not feel their own sinfulness. Or, to put it another way, no converted person would feel like they had arrived and no longer needed Christ. I think this is the point of SC 65.1. It's the same as Paul's saying, "It is a faithful saying that Christ came to save sinners, of whom I am chief." Our recognizing ourselves as the chief of sinners never goes away.

Quote:
T:Given we do, that would seem to imply we would continue to need His character standing in the place of ours after death, since the character does not change. Is this what you're thinking? If not, what are you thinking?

A:It is at the last trump where our corruption is turned into incorruption. So we may need the Mercy Seat/hilasterion until then to cover our corruption.

This sounds like you're saying we need the hilasterion because of our bodies.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/24/09 06:48 PM

Amen! It is very clear Jesus will not change our characters when He arrives to take us home. This applies to everyone from the thief on the cross to the apostle Paul. Which begs the question - What does rebirth involve? Are we born again defective in character, in need of a radical transformation?

PS - When do we stop needing the robe of Christ's blood and righteousness to cover our past sins? I suspect we'll need it throughout eternity.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/24/09 07:03 PM

Quote:
When do we stop needing the robe of Christ's blood and righteousness to cover our past sins? I suspect we'll need it throughout eternity.

To answer this question would entail understanding why it's needed in the first place.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? - 05/25/09 05:31 PM

It's needed because sinners cannot be perfect in character without it. Their history of sinning would prevent it. IOW, even if they learned to "go and sin no more" their past sins would make it impossible for them to stand perfect before God and the Universe.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church