Ellen White a Futurist?

Posted By: Charity

Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/08/09 07:35 PM

This topic's on Ellen White and Futurism. Futurism is the opposite of Historicism and most conservative Adventists are Historicists; that is, they place most apocalyptic prophecies in the past. This thread examines whether that's a valid approach according to scripture and to Ellen White.

-------------

God deals with us in ways that we can understand. While Adventist students of prophecy can see that 1798 marked the end of an era and the beginning of the time of the end, to the average person, especially to the average evangelical Christian, the phrase, ‘time of the end’ means a short time before the close of history and the return of Christ. Few today, besides Adventists, know of the falling of the stars or the darkening of the sun two centuries ago. But Christ has said these are signs of his soon return. And He also says that the darkening of the sun etc would occur ‘immediately after’ the great tribulation, an event that was fulfilled during the 1260 years ending in 1798. But isn’t it possible that the tribulation Christ refers to not just the 1260 years of papal domination, but that it also refers to the time of trouble at the end and that the fall of the stars and darkening of the sun may happen again. I suggest it is not only possible but that its probable.

Ellen White also makes a number of statements that reapply prophecies that a strictly historical application wouldn’t allow. Conservative Adventist leaders have largely ignored these and when they have given them attention, they have explained them away in an attempt to preserve a purely historical approach to prophetic studies. This unfortunate approach has been an important factor in limiting the work of the Holy Spirit in His effort to give us clearer insight into the prophecies of Daniel and Revelation. (There are other factors, especially our failure to accept and apply the message to the Laodicean Church. If we aren’t living up to the light we already have, God in mercy knows it would not be good for us to be given more and to be responsible for it as well.) But, Ellen White makes a number of statements saying that when Daniel and Revelation are properly understood and practically applied the end-time, global revival will come. Here are two of them:
Quote:
"The book of Revelation opens with an injunction to us to understand the instruction that it contains. “Blessed is he that readeth and they that hear the words of this prophecy," God declares, “and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.” When we as a people understand what this book means to us there will be seen among us a great revival. Testimonies to Ministers, Page 113.

To those who truly love God the Holy Spirit will reveal truths that have faded from the mind, and will also reveal truths that are entirely new. Those who eat the flesh and drink the blood of the Son of God will bring from the books of Daniel and Revelation truth that is inspired by the Holy Spirit. They will start into action forces that cannot be repressed. The lips of children will be opened to proclaim the mysteries that have been hidden from the minds of men. The Lord has chosen the foolish things of this world to confound the wise, and the weak things of the world to confound the mighty.
.-- Review and Herald, August 17, 1897.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/08/09 07:41 PM

Eugene Prewitt, a self-confessed staunch historicist, and, in my view one of the most effective speakers and lecturers today in Adventism, (I highly recommend most of his sermons at www.audioverse.org) says he looks forward to the possibility that his children might be among those children who Ellen White predicts will “proclaim the mysteries that have been hidden from the minds of men”. I’d like nothing more than for that hope of Brother Eugene’s to come true. But notice where these new, powerful, irrepressible truths are centered – according to Ellen White they are centered in new and revived insights into Daniel and Revelation. Given the statements from Ellen White above (and there are several others like them) on the wealth of new light that will stream from these prophecies in the future, I suggest it’s not a good idea to be staunchly historicist. Instead we must be good, open-minded Bible students when it comes to Bible prophecy.

To be fair, before quoting some of the many future application statements from Ellen White I should say that the motives of conservative Adventist leaders are good. They want to avoid sensationalism and time-setting. They assume that any reapplications of Daniel and Revelation to the future will result in this. But that’s not the case. Ellen White repeatedly makes future applications without falling into that trap. We can and should do the same. And unless we do follow her example, I suggest that we’ll miss out on the kinds of insights from the prophecies that she speaks of that will “start into action forces that cannot be repressed.” In writing that do I mean that future applications of Revelation’s prophecies are the key to revival? Not at all. The key to revival has always been prompt and thorough repentance and obedience to the Holy Spirit. It has always been heeding the counsel of the True Witness. But I suggest that one of the results of a careful study of Revelation will be a clearer view of future aspects of the Great Controversy that are revealed there.

So, let’s get started. Below I’ve compiled some of Ellen White’s future applications. I’ve inserted some comments following her quotes. Here’s an interesting one:
Quote:

Soon the scenes of trouble spoken of in the prophecies will take place. The prophecy in the eleventh of Daniel has nearly reached its complete fulfillment. Much of the history that has taken place in fulfillment of this prophecy will be repeated. In the thirtieth verse a power is spoken of that "shall be grieved, and return, and have indignation against the holy covenant: so shall he do; he shall even return, and have intelligence with them that forsake the holy covenant." [Verses 31-36, quoted.] {13MR 394.1}

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/08/09 07:46 PM

Comment: In the italicized part quoted above Ellen White says much of the history of that prophecy in Daniel 11 will be repeated. Steven Bohr, another Adventist historicist, and an excellent evangelist, points out that Ellen White doesn’t say the prophecy itself will be repeated, but only the history of it will be repeated. In other words Elder Bohr says there is no reapplication.

But Ellen White, in saying that much of the history of it will be repeated, does apply it to the end, giving it a future application. Bible students therefore need to ask, is this a future application or not? Is the distinction valid between the prophecy itself being repeated or the history of the prophecy being repeated? If Ellen White goes to the trouble of quoting a large section of the prophecy, in this case Daniel 11:31-36, and applying it to the future, isn’t she suggesting that we study it carefully to understand its future application? When she says ‘much of’ its history will be repeated, she’s making it clear that we can expect similar events to take place again, but not events that are exactly the same in all respects; hence the need to study and restudy it.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/08/09 07:52 PM

So, regarding Elder Bohr's views I'd say, ruling out a reapplication of the verses Ellen White quotes [Dan. 11:30-36.] has the effect of discouraging careful study of the passage - who will seriously study a prophecy that has no real or actual future application? Doesn’t that position work contrary to the advice of Christ to study and understand the teaching of Daniel on the daily and the abomination of desolation? This particular part of the prophecy that Ellen White quotes has its parallel in the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 CE but is repeated in the final persecution. See Matt. 24:15 and Mark 13:14. Therefore, one of our main prophetic study efforts should be on a clearer understanding of what Christ draws our attention to – the passages in Daniel regarding the abomination of desolation and comparing these with the complimentary passages in Revelation that expand on them. If we insist that all of these 'abomination' passages are in the past, we work against Christ’s advice to study them.

I'll stop there for now. Any thoughts?
Posted By: Tom

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/08/09 08:17 PM

Quote:
This topic's on Ellen White and Futurism. Futurism is the opposite of Historicism and most conservative Adventists are Historicists; that is, they place most apocalyptic prophecies in the past.

This isn't really the right criterion.

There are three primary schools of thought in regards to prophetic studies, which are the Preterist view, the Historicist view, and the Futurist view. These terms have to do with where in time one places the little horn of Daniel.

The Protestants of the Reformation understood the litter horn to be a reference to the pope. This was an important development, because it gave impetus to the concept of breaking off from Rome. Until this idea came along, the thought was there was only one church, the church of Rome, and hence "Reformation," which was to reform the one church that there was.

But when it began to be seen that the papacy was anti-Christ, this opened people's eyes to the possibility that it wasn't simply a matter of reforming the church, but a deeper problem than that, which gave birth to Protestantism.

In order to counteract the impact of these prophecies, the Roman Catholic church proposed two alternatives. One was that the little horn was applying to a figure in the past (usually Antiochus Epihpanes), which is the Preterist view. This view tends to be the view of Liberals (liberals in the sense of Bible inspiration) as it allows an explanation of the prophecies of Daniel which do not involve the supernatural (no need for God's foreknowledge to explain the prophecies).

A second alternative proposed was that sometime in the future the AntiChrist would arise -- the Futurist view.

So Futurism has to do with thinking that the little horn power will come about in the future, and Historicism with putting him within history, not with how many prophecies one sees to be yet future or not.

Historicism was the predominant view of Protestism until 1844. In 1844 there was the Great Disappointment, and after this event, Historicism died off and Futurism became the predominant view. SDA's are the only Christian denomination I'm aware of that holds the Historicist view.

Historicism has a certain framework, which involves how to interpret the timing of the 70 weeks prophecy in Daniel, and the 2300 days. Futurism has another framework. Within this framework, the timing of other prophecies are determined.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/08/09 08:24 PM

Quote:
Mark:Ellen White also makes a number of statements that reapply prophecies that a strictly historical application wouldn’t allow. Conservative Adventist leaders have largely ignored these and when they have given them attention, they have explained them away in an attempt to preserve a purely historical approach to prophetic studies.

What are some examples of statements that reapply prophecies in a way that Conservative Adventist leaders have largely ignored?

Regarding the two quotes about how understanding Revelation will lead to revival, what I think this means is that Revelation reveals Christ in a special way, and when that revelation of Christ is understood, that will lead to revival. I think this started to happen in 1888, with the message to the church of Laodicea. Revelation and Christ, and righteousness by faith, are all bound together. It takes a right understanding of the Gospel to rightly understand Revelation.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/08/09 08:31 PM

Quote:
Given the statements from Ellen White above (and there are several others like them) on the wealth of new light that will stream from these prophecies in the future, I suggest it’s not a good idea to be staunchly historicist. Instead we must be good, open-minded Bible students when it comes to Bible prophecy.

I don't think her quotes have anything to do with the timing of events. I think the light she is talking about has to do with the light of the Gospel, and of Jesus Christ.

If we think about this logically, doesn't this make sense? What is it that's holding up Christ's coming? According to COL 69, it's a reproduction of Christ's character in His people. What leads to this reproduction? "Be beholding we become changed."

It is an understanding of the Gospel that's needed. We need to see Christ, to see God, as He really is. *This* is the light that we need from Daniel and Revelation.

It's easy to see how light involving Christ and the Gospel would impact our character. It's not so easy to see how understanding the timing of events does this.

I'm not saying it's not important to understand these things. We have the Great Controversy, which gives a good framework for the timing of things to come. I'm just saying that I think the light that she's referring to has to do with Christ and the Gospel, and one can't rightly make an argument that certain events should be interpreted as occurring in the future because of these statements of Ellen White's. I think that would be making her say something she wasn't intending.
Posted By: teresaq

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/08/09 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick

.... This unfortunate approach has been an important factor in limiting the work of the Holy Spirit in His effort to give us clearer insight into the prophecies of Daniel and Revelation. (There are other factors, especially our failure to accept and apply the message to the Laodicean Church. If we aren’t living up to the light we already have, God in mercy knows it would not be good for us to be given more and to be responsible for it as well.) But, Ellen White makes a number of statements saying that when Daniel and Revelation are properly understood and practically applied the end-time, global revival will come. Here are two of them:
Quote:
"The book of Revelation opens with an injunction to us to understand the instruction that it contains. “Blessed is he that readeth and they that hear the words of this prophecy," God declares, “and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.” When we as a people understand what this book means to us there will be seen among us a great revival. Testimonies to Ministers, Page 113.

To those who truly love God the Holy Spirit will reveal truths that have faded from the mind, and will also reveal truths that are entirely new. Those who eat the flesh and drink the blood of the Son of God will bring from the books of Daniel and Revelation truth that is inspired by the Holy Spirit. They will start into action forces that cannot be repressed. The lips of children will be opened to proclaim the mysteries that have been hidden from the minds of men. The Lord has chosen the foolish things of this world to confound the wise, and the weak things of the world to confound the mighty.
.-- Review and Herald, August 17, 1897.
i have always understood statements such as these to refer more specifically to these points.
Quote:
Before the final visitation of God's judgments upon the earth there will be among the people of the Lord such a revival of primitive godliness as has not been witnessed since apostolic times. The Spirit and power of God will be poured out upon His children. At that time many will separate themselves from those churches in which the love of this world has supplanted love for God and His word. Many, both of ministers and people, will gladly accept those great truths which God has caused to be proclaimed at this time to prepare a people for the Lord's second coming. The enemy of souls desires to hinder this work; and before the time for such a movement shall come, he will endeavor to prevent it by introducing a counterfeit. In those churches which he can bring under his deceptive power he will make it appear that God's special blessing is poured out; there will be manifest what is thought to be great religious interest. Multitudes will exult that God is working marvelously for them, when the work is that of another spirit. Under a religious guise, Satan will seek to extend his influence over the Christian world. {GC 464.1}

Quote:
They are not Bible students, they are weak where they might be strong; for they take things for granted without searching for themselves. They do not become mighty in the Scriptures and in the power of God, because they are satisfied with their present position and attainments. They need to become familiar with prophecy, familiar with the strong pillars of our faith, familiar with the lessons of Christ. Then the man of God, thoroughly furnished unto all good works, will make practical godliness his theme. {RH, March 4, 1884 par. 12}

Quote:
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance. . . . And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not be desirous of vainglory, provoking one another, envying one another." There are lessons of the highest importance that not one in twenty of those who claim to be children of God have yet learned. Shall not we learn them before our destiny is forever settled? Shall we cherish and cultivate the very thing which Satan originated in heaven, which resulted in his fall, and which through his temptations has successfully accomplished the fall of thousands and thousands? Shall we separate ourselves from God, and take the enemy's side? Professed believers in the truth are doing this. When circumstances arise to tempt them, they do not resist temptation, but fall an easy prey to the Devil. That which individuals need is practical godliness. This is the only antidote for the snares of the Devil. {RH, June 28, 1887 par. 2}

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/10/09 12:26 AM

I'm not sure if I should have used the term historicist. You understand my concern though - not allowing for the possibility that yes, maybe the stars will fall again etc.

Tom, Teresa, I'm postulating that one reason revival is lacking in Adventism (there have been some signs of it lately among the youth and young adults, praise God, but we need much more) is that our unwillingness to see future applications to much of Daniel and Revelation is giving us tunnel vision, limiting our view of the great controversy and therefore limiting our understanding of the character of God. God reveals Himself in history, past and future. If we don't see His future work of judgment clearly, which all the prophets have born witness to starting with Enoch, we won't take on the attributes of His character.

I'll start giving some of the many reapplications she makes.
Posted By: Elle

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/10/09 01:00 AM

God reveals Himself in history, past and future. If we don't see His future work of judgment clearly, which all the prophets have born witness to starting with Enoch, we won't take on the attributes of His character.

Mark, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Daniel and Revelation has much to say about the coming Judgment. And how we understand the judgement deeply effects our view of God which will make us a candidate to be seal of the True God, or a false.

I'm looking forward to see this thread develop.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/10/09 01:38 AM

Me too, Mark. It will be interesting to see the examples you present.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/10/09 04:35 AM

Here's one: This one says the trumpets of Rev 8 & 9 are future:
Quote:
The power of the Holy Ghost must be upon us, and the Captain of the Lord's host will stand at the head of the angels of heaven to direct the battle. Solemn events before us are yet to transpire. Trumpet after trumpet is to be sounded, vial after vial poured out one after another upon the inhabitants of the earth. {14MR 287.1}

Scenes of stupendous interest are right upon us, and these things will be sure indications of the presence of Him who has directed in every aggressive movement, [the One] who has accompanied the march of His cause through all the ages, and who has graciously pledged Himself to be with His people in all their conflicts to the end of the world.{14MR 287.2}

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/10/09 04:45 AM

Here's another one. This one places both the trumpets and the seals of Rev 6 in the future:

Quote:
Thy right hand, O God, shall dash in pieces Thine enemies. Revelation 6 and 7 are full of meaning. Terrible are the judgments of God revealed. The seven angels stood before God to receive their commission. To them were given seven trumpets. The Lord was going forth to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity, and the earth was to disclose her blood and no more cover her slain. Give the description in chapter 6.
{15MR 219.2 – 220.1}

See also T9 267 where Ellen White links the seals to the plagues as she does in the above passage. To keep it short I haven't quoted the full passage above, but this passage links all three - the plagues, seals, and trumpets - and places them in the future.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/10/09 04:55 AM

There are many more fascinating quotes that would challenge our views. I'll be posting more samples but I don't have time to make many comments. The quotes are quite clear on their own though. I'll try to post more tomorrow but these just give you a taste. There are similar statments from her pen on most, if not all of the major prophecies of Daniel and Revelation.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/10/09 02:58 PM

Quote:
There are many more fascinating quotes that would challenge our views. I'll be posting more samples but I don't have time to make many comments. The quotes are quite clear on their own though.

As long as the meaning of the trumpets as they apply to past events isn't thrown away, I don't think there's a problem, as far as our views is concerned. There has been a discussion regarding whether the events in Revelation have multiple fulfillments for a long time. This is not new.

I think it would be a big help if you could include comments, like you have here. Just a sentence or two is fine. That should take a trivial amount of time compared to finding the right quotes, and copying and pasting them. I believe it helps a great deal, as the short comment makes clear how the quotes illustrate the point you're wishing to make.

Looking forward to seeing the quotes.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/10/09 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Tom
As long as the meaning of the trumpets as they apply to past events isn't thrown away, I don't think there's a problem, as far as our views is concerned. There has been a discussion regarding whether the events in Revelation have multiple fulfillments for a long time. This is not new.

What if the meaning of the past application are not sound? I know this is not new, but have we learn anything from the past threads?

Did the Ottoman Empire really fall in 1840 and is it related to the 7 trumpets?
http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=107899#Post107899

Show me with the Bible how Trumpet #5 applies to the fall of the Ottoman Empire and show me objective historical prove that the Ottoman Empire did fall in 1840.

Litch that made this Bible study and prediction,later on wrote in another of his book, that he was wrong. However, U. Smith kept the interpretation as true in his. So since U.Smith book has been endorse by Ellen White, now we are married to this interpretation despite the fact Litch said he was wrong. What if it were false and Ellen White never meant to say it was true?

If you can show me these, please respond in the Ottomen Empire thread that I provided the link for so to not vear off-topic in this thread.
Posted By: gordonb1

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/10/09 03:56 PM

Agreed Mark.

"Let us read and study the 12th chapter of Daniel. It is a warning we shall all need to understand before the time of the end." - Letter 161. July 30, 1903.

I believe we're asleep at the switch. Over 150 years as a 'movement' and nothing substantially new in prophetic understanding. As if the Bible were limited. It's a very sorry state.

Confusion and stagnation have resulted from rejecting light. The repentance of Daniel 9 is required. It won't happen at the Corporate level, but individually.

Much baggage needs be jettisoned, books burned, etc.

Posted By: Colin

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/10/09 05:39 PM

Whatever selected texts apply to the time of Jacobs trouble doesn't make even that application futurist. Futurism is applying Dan 8:9-14 to our future, not the trumpets or seals. Expecting the tribulation to precede the 2nd Coming, and have prophetic characteristics repeating themselves - even the little horn's fulfilment repeating itself, is a continuation of historicism, not so.
Posted By: Colin

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/10/09 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: gordonb1
Agreed Mark.

"Let us read and study the 12th chapter of Daniel. It is a warning we shall all need to understand before the time of the end." - Letter 161. July 30, 1903.

I believe we're asleep at the switch. Over 150 years as a 'movement' and nothing substantially new in prophetic understanding. As if the Bible were limited. It's a very sorry state.

Confusion and stagnation have resulted from rejecting light. The repentance of Daniel 9 is required. It won't happen at the Corporate level, but individually.

Much baggage needs be jettisoned, books burned, etc.

Gordon study of prophecy for our future hasn't stopped, that I've seen. The only wrong move is dismantling historicism for the little horn and its time periods.

The repentance of Dan 9 is a thing to be studied, too, and it is corporate - whatever the likelihood of that is!

How much more detail do we need for the future than that the latter rain should precede the mark of the beast?

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/10/09 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Elle

What if the meaning of the past application are not sound? I know this is not new, but have we learn anything from the past threads?

Did the Ottoman Empire really fall in 1840 and is it related to the 7 trumpets?
http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=107899#Post107899
only that some read things one way and someone else reads them another way.

its that blue/green thing. smile

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/11/09 12:53 AM

Here's a familiar one that reinforces the idea that the trumpets and seals have a future application and describe the judgments of God mixed with mercy before the close of probation. The future application of the trumpets and seals appear to be this 'little time of trouble' Ellen White speaks of below and may not bear much resemblance to their initial fulfilment:

Quote:
And at the commencement of the time of trouble, we were filled with the Holy Ghost as we went forth and proclaimed the Sabbath more fully. EW 33.

If all seven trumpets and seals take place of a period of months rather than centuries, I suggest the original fulfilment may not be that helpful to us. The past applications were symbolic, the future will likely be much more literal.

(Is it my browser or computer that's centering all of the text or is it the forum?)

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/11/09 01:20 AM

Regarding Revelation 11 Ellen White says it applies to the future, just before the close of probation when God rains fire and brimstone as well as other less supernatural disasters on the great cities of the world.

Quote:
Out of the cities, is my message at this time. Be assured that the call is for our people to locate miles away from the large cities. One look at San Francisco as it is today would speak to your intelligent minds, showing you the necessity of getting out of the cities. . . . {LDE 95.2}
The Lord calls for His people to locate away from the cities, for in such an hour as ye think not, fire and brimstone will be rained from heaven upon these cities. Proportionate to their sins will be their visitation. When one city is destroyed, let not our people regard this matter as a light affair, and think that they may, if favorable opportunity offers, build themselves homes in that same destroyed city. . . . {LDE 95.3}
Let all who would understand the meaning of these things read the eleventh chapter of Revelation. Read every verse, and learn the things that are yet to take place in the cities. Read also the scenes portrayed in the eighteenth chapter of the same book.--MR 1518 (May 10, 1906). {LDE 95.4}

When you have a chance turn to Rev 11 and look to see how she has applied this. Rather than looking for a future fulfillment that closely parallels our past interpretation, note how widely different her future application is on this chapter. The sins of atheistic France - licentiousness and idolatry - will be the hallmarks of the cities that bear the judgments of God, but beyond that, we have to let the prophecy speak for itself. This quote is one that you, Elle might tuck away in the back of your mind for future reference; it may strengthen your faith in Ellen White’s prophetic gift when this is fulfilled. She is clearly speaking as a prophet here. I would never have applied this passage as she’s done.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/11/09 08:17 AM

I don't think it's the forum.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/11/09 04:27 PM

Regarding Revelation 11 Ellen White says it applies to the future, just before the close of probation when God rains fire and brimstone as well as other less supernatural disasters on the great cities of the world.

Quote:
Out of the cities, is my message at this time. Be assured that the call is for our people to locate miles away from the large cities. One look at San Francisco as it is today would speak to your intelligent minds, showing you the necessity of getting out of the cities. . . . {LDE 95.2}
The Lord calls for His people to locate away from the cities, for in such an hour as ye think not, fire and brimstone will be rained from heaven upon these cities. Proportionate to their sins will be their visitation. When one city is destroyed, let not our people regard this matter as a light affair, and think that they may, if favorable opportunity offers, build themselves homes in that same destroyed city. . . . {LDE 95.3}
Let all who would understand the meaning of these things read the eleventh chapter of Revelation. Read every verse, and learn the things that are yet to take place in the cities. Read also the scenes portrayed in the eighteenth chapter of the same book.--MR 1518 (May 10, 1906). {LDE 95.4}

When you have a chance turn to Rev 11 and look to see how she has applied this. Rather than looking for a future fulfillment that closely parallels our past interpretation, note how widely different her future application is on this chapter. The sins of atheistic France - licentiousness and idolatry - will be the hallmarks of the cities that bear the judgments of God, but beyond that, we have to let the prophecy speak for itself. This quote is one that you, Elle might tuck away in the back of your mind for future reference; it may strengthen your faith in Ellen White’s prophetic gift when this is fulfilled. She is clearly speaking as a prophet here. I would never have applied this passage as she’s done.

Thanks for thinking of me Mark and I did go to find what verses in Rev 11 this might refer to. All I can come close was Rev 11:5. Do you think it refers to the fire and brimstone that will destroy the big cities? Hmmmm. I really have a hard time to see that text saying that. Here's some Bible text, in blue are my comments.
Quote:
(Malachi 4:5,6) "See, I will send you the prophet Elijah before that great and dreadful day of the Lord comes. He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers; or else I will come and strike the land with a curse."

Rev 11:3 And I will give [power] unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred [and] threescore days, clothed in sackcloth....
Rev 11:5 And if any man will hurt them(the 2 witnesses, according to my understanding they are the 144K), fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed.

To me this text is referring that "fire proceedeth out" of the mouth of the two witnesses(the 144K) and "devoureth their enemies". To be frank with you, I don't know what is that fire. I don't think it is literal, however I was more expecting a two edge sword as they will be prophecizing with power the word of God for 1260 days. But maybe that symbol is uniquely reserved to describe Jesus and that is why it is describe as "Fire" here. These 144K will be speaking by the two witnesses(1. word of God and 2. the spirit). So maybe these two together makes fire in some symbolic ways convicting the hearers by devouring all their wrong pre-conceived opinions. I don't know and it's something I would like to dig deeper and find scripture to explain this.

However, I do believe that Ellen White is right that Rev 11 is futur and her warnings are true that we need to get out of the cities, especially the big ones. In the big cities, there's a concentration of people. I'm sure Satan, when he appears in person with his angels will perform most of their shows in the big cities. Calling fire coming down from heaven will be Satan's biggest miracle to deceive many. God didn't allow the 144K to call fire from heaven during their 1260days of prophesy, but will allow Satan. See the text below :
Quote:
2 Thessalonians 2:3,4,9,10 Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed(Satan himself), the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. . . . [Even him], whose coming(2nd coming) is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved."

Revelation 13:13,14 KJV And he(the 2-horned-Beast, Satan in person, that came out of the bottomless pit at the 5th Trumpet sound) doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men, And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

2Cor 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/12/09 07:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for thinking of me Mark and I did go to find what verses in Rev 11 this might refer to. All I can come close was Rev 11:5. Do you think it refers to the fire and brimstone that will destroy the big cities? Hmmmm. I really have a hard time to see that text saying that.

I'd have a hard time with it too if it wasn't Ellen White. Like I said above, her application surprised me as well. But I don't doubt it will happen.

It's not clear if she's saying that individuals will be called to warn wicked cities before the event, like Jonah. At a minimum she's saying that God will rain fire and brimstone on them because of their unwillingess to listen to the testimony of His two Witnesses, the Word and the Spirit of Prophecy (the SOP in the broader sense.)

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/12/09 09:19 PM

Quote:
Mark:At a minimum she's saying that God will rain fire and brimstone on them because of their unwillingess to listen to the testimony of His two Witnesses, the Word and the Spirit of Prophecy (the SOP in the broader sense.)

I don't think she's saying this! She had written:

Quote:
I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of.(14MR 3)

In addition, for God to rain fire and brimstone on others because of their unwillingness to listen to His Witnesses would be contrary to the following counsel, it seems to me:

Quote:
There can be no more conclusive evidence that we possess the spirit of Satan than the disposition to hurt and destroy those who do not appreciate our work, or who act contrary to our ideas." (DA 487)

Anyway, back to Rev. 11 and EGW's comment.

Quote:
And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven.(Rev. 11:13)

I think this verse may have been especially on her mind. You'll notice she wrote her comments in May of 1906. The San Francisco earthquake occurred in April of 1906.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/12/09 09:57 PM

According to Ellen White, the seven thunders of Revelation 10 are also future:

Quote:
After these seven thunders uttered their voices, the injunction comes to John as to Daniel in regard to the little book: "Seal up those things which the seven thunders uttered." These relate to future events which will be disclosed in their order. Daniel shall stand in his lot at the end of the days. John sees the little book unsealed. Then Daniel's prophecies have their proper place in the first, second, and third angels' messages to be given to the world. The unsealing of the little book was the message in relation to time. {7BC 971.4}

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/12/09 10:36 PM

It's not either/or in my view, Tom. It's cause and effect, but behind the scenes God's providences, His mercies and His justice always prevail. God is a lawgiver and yet he is the fountain of mercy. All things work together for our good.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/13/09 12:27 AM

OK, so far we have the abomination of desolation in Daniel, the seals, trumpets, thunders, and testimony of the two witnesses, all future. Those items are found roughly in Daniel 8, 9, 11, 12, Revelation 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11. What about the introductory scenes to the seals and trumpets, Revelation 4 and 5 and Revelation 8:1-5 respectively. Here's a quote on Revelation 5:
Quote:

The fifth chapter of Revelation needs to be closely studied. It is of great importance to those who shall act a part in the work of God for these last days. There are some who are deceived. They do not realize what is coming on the earth. {9T 267.]

That Ellen White above is applying Revelation 5 to the future is clear. The question is, when is she aplying it to. I suggest that if the passage is read in its context she makes a dual application - both to the future. Her first application is to the 'little time of trouble' and the second is to the execution of the judgment at the end of the millineum.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/13/09 01:00 AM

Quote:
It's not either/or in my view, Tom. It's cause and effect, but behind the scenes God's providences, His mercies and His justice always prevail. God is a lawgiver and yet he is the fountain of mercy. All things work together for our good.

If you're using the phrase that God "rains fire and brimstone" upon those who have rejected His witnesses in the sense that things play out as EGW explained in 14MR 3, then I agree with you, and am sorry if I misunderstood you. Also, I'm not wanting to derail your thread. It's just that I feel constrained to comment in some way when I see certain things.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/13/09 01:02 AM

Quote:
I suggest that if the passage is read in its context she makes a dual application - both to the future. Her first application is to the 'little time of trouble' and the second is to the execution of the judgment at the end of the millennium.

Would you explain this please?

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/13/09 06:56 AM

Quote:

If you're using the phrase that God "rains fire and brimstone" upon those who have rejected His witnesses in the sense that things play out as EGW explained in 14MR 3, then I agree with you, and am sorry if I misunderstood you. Also, I'm not wanting to derail your thread. It's just that I feel constrained to comment in some way when I see certain things.
revelation 11:1-13 has already happened, that it may have a dual ap is a possibility. she says that history will repeat itself. i read that differently than as a "dual" ap.

but, rev 11:14-19 has not happened yet, so cannot have a dual ap. it is quite possible that she simply meant we need to study them in the light that the second woe is past and that we should be attentive to the third woe coming.

Quote:
putting all the bible texts together that relate to this period would put this in perspective, i believe. it is possible this is what she was refering to:Rev 17:16 And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.
Rev 18:8 Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong is the Lord God who judgeth her.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/14/09 12:49 PM

Quote:
Study the tenth chapter of Daniel, and mark particularly the fourteenth verse. "Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days" (Daniel 10:14). When our brethren and ministers shall feel the burden that should rest upon them, they will not be content with a few surface truths. They will sink the shaft deep, and will have the spirit that Daniel possessed.

Comment: In the above passage two things are remarkable: One is the implication that the vision applies to the very end of time primarily and the second is that we will need the spirit of Daniel to stand at that time.

The vision that chapter 10 introduces -(found in chapters 11 and 12) contains the most detailed information on the abomination of desolation, the warning that Christ has told us to read and understand. “When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains.” Matthew 24:15.

Regarding that warning Ellen White says:

Quote:

Let us read and study the twelfth chapter of Daniel. It is a warning that we shall all need to understand before the time of the end.--15 MR 228 (1903). {LDE 15.4}

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/14/09 03:01 PM

It seems to me that she is looking to apply principles from a given prophecy to other situations. That is, she appears to me to have thunk more in terms of "the principles of this prophecy has other applications" than "this prophecy has multiple fulfillments."

I'm curious as to the thoughts of others on this thread regarding this.

Actually, it seems to me in general that the real value in the prophecy is ferreting out the principle involved. We know the whole Bible is about Christ, but how that is the case isn't always right on the surface.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/15/09 11:32 PM

Well, friends, you be the judge. In the passages quoted above and in the ones following, is Ellen White saying study the principles of these prophecies; the details of them have no future application? Or, is she saying study the prophecies themselves in detail and from that you will understand the principles? Isn’t it the latter? In the passages I’ve quoted she’s directed our attention to these things and urged that we study them in detail. Why? Because God reveals Himself in history, past and future. If we don't see His future work of judgment clearly, which all the prophets have born witness to starting with Enoch, we won't take on the attributes of His character.

Ellen White’s burden and hopefully mine and yours is character development. We so much need to eat that little prophetic book that’s open in the hand of the Mighty Angel so that we can become like Him. Every Christian, and the devil to, is familiar with the claim that God is love. But it’s in reviewing His great acts in the past and in the future in detail, meditating on them and assimilating them into our souls that our characters are transformed into His image.

And I feel I should add this warning: One who teaches that God never brings judgment but that judgment is only a matter of cause and effect, is not teaching about the God of the Bible because we know that God Himself will 'bring every work into judgment'. Mercy and justice are active divine principles that are at the foundation of God's throne, of heaven's government of universal order and of love. These two principles – mercy and justice - are far more than being mere cause and effect. They are the active principles of heaven. They often work in harmony with the laws of cause and effect, so that on the surface it may seem that natural laws govern. But the active principles that under gird all that transpires in the universe are these two – mercy and justice - and both of these issue from the Divine throne. These are Biblical facts. Anyone who swerves from them and suggests that God does not personally hold intelligent beings accountable, that God does not personally reward both the righteous and the wicked according to their works, however well intended, is undermining the picture of the character of God presented clearly in sacred history and recorded accurately in Scripture.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/16/09 12:21 AM

Quote:
In the passages quoted above and in the ones following, is Ellen White saying study the principles of these prophecies; the details of them have no future application? Or, is she saying study the prophecies themselves in detail and from that you will understand the principles?

To quote you, I don't think it's either or. I was commenting on Ellen White's mindset. It seems to me her thinking was more along the lines of applying principles of certain prophecies to other circumstances as opposed to saying "this prophecy of Daniel (or Revelation) has multiple fulfillments. First there's (pick some event or year), then there's this (event or year) yet to come as well.

Regarding "Or, is she saying study the prophecies themselves in detail and from that you will understand the principles?" this question seems out of place as an "or" question. Certainly one can choose to study the prophecies in detail without having to exclude oneself from also being able to apply its principles, right? That is, it's not as if one much choose to do one thing or the other.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/16/09 12:33 AM

Well, friends, you be the judge. In the passages quoted above and in the ones following, is Ellen White saying study the principles of these prophecies; the details of them have no future application? Or, is she saying study the prophecies themselves in detail and from that you will understand the principles? Isn’t it the latter? In the passages I’ve quoted she’s directed our attention to these things and urged that we study them in detail. Why? Because God reveals Himself in history, past and future. If we don't see His future work of judgment clearly, which all the prophets have born witness to starting with Enoch, we won't take on the attributes of His character.
im not seeing the connection between the principles of the prophecies and possible future applications.

all the sites ive come across with future applications seemed to be more about trying to work out to the last detail what will happen. but i cant remember seeing anything about Jesus life, the difference between what He was and how we are

it seems to me that we can study the ongoing judgment, im assuming you mean the investigative judgment, but i havent seen where that helps us take on the attributes of Christ. ellen white says to study Christs life, isnt that what would make us judgment and heaven-ready?

if you could explain a little more how believing there are future applications could make us more Christlike?

i think im asking also, that you didnt mean to give the impression that we are to disregard the life of Christ and study the judgments(?) of the ot, instead?

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/16/09 12:47 AM

Regarding the comments about judgment, the idea seems to be that if God does not do something beyond cause and effect, then He is not personally holding people accountable. But the Biblical principle is "What you sow, so shall you reap." (cause and effect).

The SOP puts it like this:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. ...God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice.(DA 764)

Both the righteous and the wicked "receive the results of their own choice." This is the principle of sowing and reaping. This is cause and effect.

It sounds as if it's being implied that God can only hold people to be personally responsible for their actions by not allowing them to receive the principles of their choice, or not allowing them to reap what they have sown (cause and effect).

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/16/09 12:49 AM

And I feel I should add this warning: One who teaches that God never brings judgment but that judgment is only a matter of cause and effect, is not teaching about the God of the Bible because we know that God Himself will 'bring every work into judgment'. Mercy and justice are active divine principles that are at the foundation of God's throne, of heaven's government of universal order and of love. These two principles – mercy and justice - are far more than being mere cause and effect. They are the active principles of heaven. They often work in harmony with the laws of cause and effect, so that on the surface it may seem that natural laws govern. But the active principles that under gird all that transpires in the universe are these two – mercy and justice - and both of these issue from the Divine throne. These are Biblical facts. Anyone who swerves from them and suggests that God does not personally hold intelligent beings accountable, that God does not personally reward both the righteous and the wicked according to their works, however well intended, is undermining the picture of the character of God presented clearly in sacred history and recorded accurately in Scripture.
isnt the reward for the righteous eternal life?

and the reward for the lost eternal death?

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/16/09 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Colin

Gordon study of prophecy for our future hasn't stopped, that I've seen. The only wrong move is dismantling historicism for the little horn and its time periods.

The repentance of Dan 9 is a thing to be studied, too, and it is corporate - whatever the likelihood of that is!

How much more detail do we need for the future than that the latter rain should precede the mark of the beast?

Colin, "nothing substantially new" is the issue. Yes the studies continue in circles.

The repentance is corporate yes, but not Corporate. The body of true believers will all individually repent; Silver Springs - you are correct, no likelihood.
____

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/18/09 09:48 AM

Originally Posted By: teresaq

all the sites ive come across with future applications seemed to be more about trying to work out to the last detail what will happen. but i cant remember seeing anything about Jesus life, the difference between what He was and how we are

it seems to me that we can study the ongoing judgment, im assuming you mean the investigative judgment, but i havent seen where that helps us take on the attributes of Christ. ellen white says to study Christs life, isnt that what would make us judgment and heaven-ready?

if you could explain a little more how believing there are future applications could make us more Christlike?
. . .

It's not only the sites with future applications that try to work out future events to the last detail, it's historical sites as well. I agree both kinds of sites are misleading. The Lord has sealed the seven thunders and, as a matter of principle, it's not good for us to know all the details.

Regarding how our characters are transformed by all scripture:
Originally Posted By: Mark
Every Christian, including the devil too, is familiar with the claim that God is love. But it’s in reviewing His great acts in the past and in the future in detail, meditating on them and assimilating them into our souls that our characters are transformed into His image.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/18/09 09:59 AM

So, studying the future prophecies should be like studying the atonement: For the atonement we can't penetrate every mystery by speculating on what God hasn't revealed of the great mysteries - such as the fine questions of the personality and nature of God and Christ - but we can and and should study and meditate on the things that are clearly recorded about the life of Christ in detail. The same principle applies to the study of prophecy and especially to those greatest furture acts of God and of Christ. Christian meditation zooms in on the details. Eastern meditation supposedly empties the mind sweeping it clean and inviting seven spirits more foul than thoses that were there before.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/18/09 08:22 PM

. . .

Regarding how our characters are transformed by all scripture:
Originally Posted By: Mark
Every Christian, including the devil too, is familiar with the claim that God is love. But it’s in reviewing His great acts in the past and in the future in detail, meditating on them and assimilating them into our souls that our characters are transformed into His image.
first the question had more to do with believing there are future applications to prophecy somehow changing our characters....

but how would you see the messenger of the Lords counsel, which includes the biblical counsel as well, matching up with yours?
Quote:
As we near the close of earth's history, Satan redoubles his efforts to cast his hellish shadow over us, in order that he may cause us to turn our eyes away from Christ. If he can prevent us from beholding Jesus, we shall be overcome; but we must not permit him to do this; for "we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." What is the glory of the Lord? Moses prayed, "I beseech thee, show me thy glory." And the Lord said, "I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy." "And the Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed. The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty." The glory of God is his character, and it is manifested to us in Christ. Therefore it is by beholding Christ, by contemplating his character, by learning his lessons, by obeying his words, that we become changed into his likeness. As we are enlightened by his Spirit, we see no virtue or merit in ourselves. We realize there is naught in us but deformity. But the glory of the Redeemer, manifested in his atoning sacrifice, in his justifying righteousness, in his fullness of grace, whereby we not only obtain pardon but receive sanctification, fills the whole soul with love and adoration, and in contemplating the goodness, mercy, and love of God, we become transformed in character. Jesus said, "The glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one." On him who receives Christ, the glory of the Lord has risen, the Sun of Righteousness has shined, and, rising from his low and worldly state, the believer reflects the light of Christ's glory. As he continually looks to Jesus and contemplates his beauty, he is more and more transformed into the child of light. {SSW, July 1, 1894 par. 5}

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/19/09 01:58 AM

Quote:
Those who eat the flesh and drink the blood of the Son of God will bring from the books of Daniel and Revelation truth that is inspired by the Holy Spirit. They will start into action forces that cannot be repressed. Ellen White - Review and Herald, August 17, 1897.

Well, how does it work Teresa? According to the above, we do very much need to drink the blood and eat the flesh of the Son of God first before we're able to bring out the treasures of Daniel and Revelation and be instrumental in setting in motion 'forces that can't be repressed.' I agree that's the starting point. It also says, "If any man's will is to do His will, he will know of the doctrine . . "

What the readers need to ask themselves now is: "Has Mark made any observations or brought out any truths that are timely on this thread?"

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/19/09 03:13 AM

Sure Mark, you have indeed. Most importantly perhaps is agitating the truth of: future prophecy yet unfulfilled.

Daniel & Revelation are not for everyone. Those who are not right with God will walk in the sparks of their own kindling. For this reason there is much confusion and very many different interpretations. We need to search ourselves before we search the prophecies. - Are all my sins confessed? Are all my wrongs made right?
____
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/19/09 04:19 PM

Quote:

I'm more inclined to think that if they are past, they are past, or if they are future, they are future (as opposed to thinking that there are multiple fulfillments).

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/19/09 05:45 PM

Quote:
What the readers need to ask themselves now is: "Has Mark made any observations or brought out any truths that are timely on this thread?"

I think so. Just because I don't see eye to eye on everything you've shared doesn't mean I don't appreciate some of the insights you've brought out.
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 08/19/09 06:01 PM

I'm quite happy to accept multiple fulfillments. That is just like God to have something so well planned as to see it happen twice (or more).

Many prophecies in the Bible have at least two fulfillments. That we do not always see them does not make them any less existent.

Some prophecies, in fact, have nearly perpetual fulfillment until the end of time. "Ye shall be hated of all men for my sake" would be a good example of this. It applied to nearly every generation of Christians to follow. That's plenty more than one fulfillment. Much of the prophecy concerning the fall of Jerusalem applies also to the last days.

Rosangela, if the prophecies are only applied once, do you feel that there will be no further events such as the stars falling, the moon turning to blood, and the sun being darkened? Those events were fulfilled already, were they not?

I'm inclined to think they may have another literal fulfillment. And I am a firmly convinced believer in that they will have a symbolic fulfillment.

What do stars represent? God's saints. Will some of them fall? Sadly, yes.

What does the moon represent? The spirit of prophecy. Will it be crucified in the court of public opinion? I believe so.

What does the sun represent? The light of Christ (the "greater light"). Will it be darkened? In this day and age, with atheism becoming so rampant, and people mocking the "Bible-thumping" Christians so openly whilst rejecting the truths of God's Word, I think it is an undeniable fact that the light is being withdrawn from the earth. Does not Ellen White say this would happen?

Therefore, I see a double fulfillment here in each of these prophecies.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 09/06/09 01:49 AM

Hi Mark wave

I'm hoping to see more on this important topic. I know that most will agree to dual and multiple prophecy fufillment, however, I have a problem with this and leads us to deception and confusion. I lean to a single timeline prophecy fulfillment.

Is there anywhere in the Bible that support dual-fulfillment of prophesy? I would like to see that.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 09/06/09 02:13 AM

Is there anywhere in the Bible that support dual-fulfillment of prophesy? I would like to see that.

Elle,

The destruction of Jerusalem is a clear example of dual fulfillment. Ellen White tells us this would be repeated. This is why praying that our flight be not on the Sabbath day has been discussed in this forum.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 09/06/09 02:34 AM

I should add that depending on how you interpret the prophecy in Ezekiel 4, which already spoke of two separate fulfillments, the destruction of Jerusalem may been seen as having triple fulfillment. In any case, there is yet a fulfillment to occur for God's remnant people and not for the literal city of Jerusalem.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
As one of the signs of Jerusalem's destruction, Christ had said, "Many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many." False prophets did rise, deceiving the people, and leading great numbers into the desert. Magicians and sorcerers, claiming miraculous power, drew the people after them into the mountain solitudes. But this prophecy was spoken also for the last days. This sign is given as a sign of the second advent. Even now false christs and false prophets are showing signs and wonders to seduce His disciples. Do we not hear the cry, "Behold, He is in the desert"? Have not thousands gone forth into the desert, hoping to find Christ? And from thousands of gatherings where men profess to hold communion with departed spirits is not the call now heard, "Behold, He is in the secret chambers"? This is the very claim that spiritism puts forth. But what says Christ? "Believe it not. For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be." {DA 631.1}
[The Desire of Ages (1898)]

Here's another one with clear language about a second fulfillment of a single prophecy:

In the prophecy of Jerusalem's destruction Christ said, "Because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come." This prophecy will again be fulfilled. The abounding iniquity of that day finds its counterpart in this generation. So with the prediction in regard to the preaching of the gospel. Before the fall of Jerusalem, Paul, writing by the Holy Spirit, declared that the gospel was preached to "every creature which is under heaven." Col. 1:23. So now, before the coming of the Son of man, the everlasting gospel is to be preached "to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people." Rev. 14:6, 14. God "hath appointed a day, in the which He will judge the world." Acts 17:31. Christ tells us when that day shall be ushered in. He does not say that all the world will be converted, but that "this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come." By giving the gospel to the world it is in our power to hasten our Lord's return. We are not only to look for but to hasten the coming of the day of God. 2 Peter 3:12, margin. Had the church of Christ done her appointed work as the Lord ordained, the whole world would before this have been warned, and the Lord Jesus would have come to our earth in power and great glory. {DA 633.3} [The Desire of Ages (1898)]

Well, that's two prophecies now with dual fulfillments--destruction of Jerusalem and the Gospel preached to all nations. smile

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 09/06/09 03:44 AM

Green, I think you missed one word -- No dual or multiple Fulfillments for "TIMELINE" Prophecies.

I'm not talking about seeing similar aspects of previous prophecies taking place in the futur. Ezekiel prophecied two disctinct destructions of Jerusalem.

1st destruction in 586BC : For I have laid upon thee the years of their iniquity, according to the number of the days, three hundred and ninety days: so shalt thou bear the iniquity of the house of Israel. (Eze 4:5)

2nd destruction 70AD: "And when thou hast accomplished them, lie again on thy right side, and thou shalt bear the iniquity of the house of Judah forty days: I have appointed thee each day for a year." (Eze 4:6)

I'm sure you are not saying that we're going to see another 390 years or 40 years prophecy for Jerusalem to be destroy again? Right?

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 09/06/09 04:06 PM

Elle,

I'm sorry, I sure did miss that word. I went back to look for it and am still missing it. But let's look at the amended question for a minute. Please explain the question to me more, because I am now confused as to what exactly your question is.

All prophecies with specific fulfillments land somewhere on a time line, whether it be the point in time the prophecy was given, or the point in time that the prophecy was fulfilled, or the lapse of time between these two points. In other words, I am unclear on your definition of a "timeline prophecy." What do you mean by this term, and why do you consider the destruction of Jerusalem to not be a "timeline prophecy?" Are you speaking of only the last fulfillment of the prophecy? or the entire prophecy?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 09/06/09 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Elle,

I'm sorry, I sure did miss that word. I went back to look for it and am still missing it. But let's look at the amended question for a minute. Please explain the question to me more, because I am now confused as to what exactly your question is.

All prophecies with specific fulfillments land somewhere on a time line, whether it be the point in time the prophecy was given, or the point in time that the prophecy was fulfilled, or the lapse of time between these two points. In other words, I am unclear on your definition of a "timeline prophecy." What do you mean by this term, and why do you consider the destruction of Jerusalem to not be a "timeline prophecy?" Are you speaking of only the last fulfillment of the prophecy? or the entire prophecy?

Hi Green, Sorry for the confusion. I'm unsure what you mean with your questions above, so I think we are not understanding each other. So, let me try to clarify myself. First I specified timeline prophecy in my reply to Mark. Here's the quote
Quote:
Hi Mark

I'm hoping to see more on this important topic. I know that most will agree to dual and multiple prophecy fufillment, however, I have a problem with this and leads us to deception and confusion. I lean to a single timeline prophecy fulfillment.

What I mean with timeline prophesy, is like in the example of Ezek 4. Ez 4 were a "timeline" prophesies . You brought that example to say it was a dual fulfillment of the same event. Yes it was the same event, however, a prophesy for each or two prophecies in one. It was very specific that the event was to happen twice by describing two specific time for each events to be fulfilled.

Therefore, in the example of Ezekiel 4, there was two timeline prophesy denoted, so therefore it was two prophesy:
1. 390 days/years for the first destruction of Jerusalem
2. 40 days/years for the second.

Each timeline had only one fulfillment and I'm sure you are not expecting that Ez 4 timelines of 390 years or 40years timeline will be fulfill another time. Right?

So, I'm launching as a statement or principle of prophesy interpretation that

"All prophesies in the Bible that has a define literal time associated to it, has only one fulfillment in this earth history."

I'm not saying that my statement is true, and that's why I'm asking if anyone knows any other singel timeline prophecy in the Bible that has a dual fulfillment?

I know I have trouble explaining my thoughts, so if this is unclear, do let me know.
Posted By: dedication

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 09/07/09 06:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Why should we look for something entirely new?
I firmly believe what happened in the French Revolution (and EGW devoted a whole chapter explaining Rev. 11 as it played out in the French Revolution) will be repeated in the cities. It's not just "licenciousness" and "idolatry" it's A REVOLUTION -- A Reign of Terror -- people overturning the constitutional government BY FORCE, terror where people turn against each other and people are killed by the thousands. Read that chapter in Great Controversy -- chapter 15 --

I don't believe in "futurism" I believe the historical elements of strife revealed in prophecy (elements which are not dead by any means) will all be engaged in a bitter, terrible time of trouble -- it's by understanding the prophetic meaning in its historical setting that we can understand what elements of strife will erupt in the future.

It's in the cities where the "blood baths" tend to occur. Out of the cities -- if you want to escape the most terrible 'revolution" "reign of terror" that will come.

EGW clearly and forcefully relates Revelation 11 to the French Revolution (GC chpt 15)-- HISTORY (not prophecy) will repeat itself in an awful REVOLUTION and "reign of terror" in the cities.

America is already preparing for it.

The "fire and brimstone" may well be "nuclear explosions".

The same type of thing happened in Jerusalem just before its fall in 70A.D. where factions within the city were turning on each other in horrendous crimes of terror, revolting against the govenment and killing anyone that didn't go along with them. Finally the Romans ended it by burning the city, the temple and many of the people within the city. It too is an example of what the trouble at the end of this earth's history will be like.
"Satan will plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble. As the angels of God cease to hold in check the fierce winds of human passion, all the elements of strife will be let loose. The whole world will be involved in ruin more terrible than that which came upon Jerusalem of old." {FLB 215.5}

Yes, get out of the cities -- the scenes of the French reign of terror will be played out again.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 09/07/09 06:49 AM

you stated that very well, dedication.

better than i think i could have done. smile

and it is so very true.

what happened in jerusalem at the babylonian captivity, in 70ad, the overthrow of babylon, so many historical examples of what it will be like when we are not personally connected with our Savior...

it will be more than horrible.

trying to make future applications without firmly holding onto a knowledge of what happened in the past just leaves us groundless, it takes away from the great controversy that is so important for us to understand and makes everything meaningless and happenstance.

its more along the lines of psychic predictions with no rhyme or reason.

very, very, good points you brought out!

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 09/07/09 07:05 AM

So, I'm launching as a statement or principle of prophesy interpretation that

"All prophesies in the Bible that has a defined literal time associated to it, has only one fulfillment in this earth history."

I agree --
Time prophecies are linear NOT circular.
They have a starting point and an end point.

A lot of confusion has come into Adventist circles due to people trying to break down the day/year principle and reapply these timelines to various situations. Some claiming prophetic time lines aren't literal time and thus taking license to dispense with the day/year principle and come up with new intepretions with what they call literal time.
However, all those prophetic timelines are already LITERAL YEARS, and by reverting them into "days" we are only destroying the day/year principles which give these prophecies the foundation upon which our beliefs are built.

For example -- The 70 weeks or 490 days started in 457 B.C. and pointed to Messiah's coming and starting His ministry in 27 A.D. crucified in "the midst of the last week" in 31 A.D. and the apostles continuing to confirm the covenant with the Jews FIRST till the 490 years had come to a close in 34 A.D.

The 70 weeks, or 490 day/years will not be repeated, they are fulfilled.

All the timelines have a beginning date and ending date. They were all FUTURE at the time when they were written.

In the last 50 or so years I've seen those timelines misapplied to all kinds of dates and "possibilities" with people claiming it is the "new light of present truth" which the church must accept, only to be embarrased as their carefully crafted and detailed speculative timelines crashed.

We've been warned OVER AND OVER not to focus on time again for ANY future events leading up to Christ's coming.

"I want you to see that it is not in the providence of God that any finite man shall, by any device or reckoning that he may make of figures, or of symbols, or of types, know with any definiteness in regard to the very period of the Lord's coming.{10MR 272.1}

"God has not revealed to us the time when this message will close, or when probation will have an end. Those things that are revealed we shall accept for ourselves and for our children; but let us not seek to know that which has been kept secret in the councils of the Almighty. {1SM 191.1}

"there is no command for anyone to search the Scripture in order to ascertain, if possible, when probation will close. God has no such message for any mortal lips.{1SM 191.2}

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 09/07/09 07:36 AM

trying to make future applications without firmly holding onto a knowledge of what happened in the past just leaves us groundless, it takes away from the great controversy that is so important for us to understand and makes everything meaningless and happenstance.

its more along the lines of psychic predictions with no rhyme or reason.

Exactly! Agreed!

People want the future outlined in step by step detail in psychic fashion as that gives a sense of control, yet it is by understanding the historic unscrolling of the prophecies as they reveal events over centuries of earth's history, that we can understand the issues and who the last day players will be.
We've been warned to leave the cities, etc., and now the REVIVAL we need is to be so connected with Christ, settled in truth, that nothing can move us away from Him.

Yes, as was brought out earlier -- the 1888 message --
The faith of Jesus indwelling us, guiding us, saving us, sustaining us; and living the righteous law of God with patient endurance.
Can we see the 1888 message in the prophecies?

It's the Laodicean call --
Let Christ fully into our lives
Buy His gold of faith
His robe of righteousness
His eye salve of descernment

Faith is the victory that overcomes the world.
Faith in Christ!

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 09/21/09 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Eugene Prewitt
"How sad it is that many persons try to place the 1335 day prophecy, with the 1290, into the future. If they are in the future, then the book of Daniel is not yet unsealed.

Mark or Eugene: Can you offer a harmonizing explanation here?

I recall she also wrote that Daniel 11:30-45 (preamble to Christ standing up) would be repeated, but can't locate the source.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? - 09/21/09 05:28 AM

What is the warning in Daniel 12?

"there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation [even] to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book."

So what is the important thing here?

Those who will be delivered must have what?

------their Names written in the Book (of Life) ---------

vs 12:10 Many shall be purified, and made white,

What is the important thing here?

Compare:

Originally Posted By: Bible
Rev. 3:4-5 they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy. He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Everyone else will end up worshipping the beast,
Originally Posted By: Bible
Rev. 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, (the beast) whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
13:9 If any man have an ear, let him hear.
17:8 they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

"And there shall in no wise enter into it (heavenly Jerusalem) any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life" [Rev. 21:27].
Well may you ask, "Is my name written there?" It is registered in that book of life if you have a character that is pure and holy like the character of Christ. Faith in the truth alone will not save us. We must be like Christ if we shall one day see Him as He is.
"Every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself even as He is pure." Any hope aside and separate from purity and righteousness is a snare of Satan, sophistry, and fatal delusion. {TSB 134.4}

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church