Why did the Protestant Reformation fail?

Posted By: Alchemy

Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/04/15 06:49 AM

I saw this mentioned by Daryl in the SDA Resource Forum, but that is locked.

The article Daryl linked to was excellent and I fully agree with it. This is why I believe the Seventh-day Adventist Church is to continue the Reformation until the close of time on this earth.

We see the Sanctuary Message, the Sabbath and the Ten Commandments, the State of the Dead, the Spirit of Prophecy and the truth about the little horn power as being the continuation of the Reformation in these last days.

What do you believe?
Posted By: JAK

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/04/15 05:08 PM

Could you post a link to the article referred to?

Regarding the title of the thread, (and without seeing the above mentioned article) one would have to ask several questions:

1. Did the Reformation in fact fail? This would have to be shown. What were the goals of the Reformation that it failed to achieve?

2. In what way did it fail? Again, this relates to the desired outcomes of those in the Reformation. Martin Luther did not intend to start a new church or denomination, but simply "reform" the RCC. Are we to understand that it failed because it in fact did start a new church/denomination?

I don't think the Reformation started or went forward with specific goals or outcomes in mind, but was more generally a movement and shift in the thinking of the general population similar to and related to the Renaissance, which was also underway at the same time.

I think to say that it "failed" assumes a level of organization and goal-orientation etc., it simply did not have nor intend to have.

But that is just my impression off the top of my head.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/04/15 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: JAK
Could you post a link to the article referred to?

Regarding the title of the thread, (and without seeing the above mentioned article) one would have to ask several questions:

1. Did the Reformation in fact fail? This would have to be shown. What were the goals of the Reformation that it failed to achieve?

2. In what way did it fail? Again, this relates to the desired outcomes of those in the Reformation. Martin Luther did not intend to start a new church or denomination, but simply "reform" the RCC. Are we to understand that it failed because it in fact did start a new church/denomination?

I don't think the Reformation started or went forward with specific goals or outcomes in mind, but was more generally a movement and shift in the thinking of the general population similar to and related to the Renaissance, which was also underway at the same time.

I think to say that it "failed" assumes a level of organization and goal-orientation etc., it simply did not have nor intend to have.

But that is just my impression off the top of my head.

http://www.yashanet.com/library/reformf.htm

This is the article I mentioned.

To give a brief answer to your questions; The two main points the Reformation failed on were; 1) The Protestants were not Bible and Bible only and 2) They did follow traditions of men and the Roman Church.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/04/15 10:13 PM

(Sort of) interesting article, but heavily biased and containing factual inaccuracies, or at the very least statements bordering on inaccurate, without reliable documentation to support them.

For example:
Originally Posted By: From an article by Frank M. Walker
"The reformers paid a terrible price for their rejection of the seventh day Sabbath and for their refusal to accept it as an article of revolt against the Catholic Church."

The seventh day Sabbath played a very minor role if any in the Reformation. That they "paid a terrible price" is unsupported. The biased author is building a straw-man argument.

Also:
Originally Posted By: From an article by Frank M. Walker
"The rejection of the Sabbath at the Council of Trent at once crippled the advance of the Reformation. [No supporting evidence] Protestants and Protestant reformers will be held responsible on Judgment Day for their unfaithfulness [Playing God] at a time when the entire Roman Church pivoted toward discarding all tradition."

Seriously? The entire Roman Church was going to discard tradition? This statement needs EXTENSIVE documentation.

Originally Posted By: Alchemy
To give a brief answer to your questions; The two main points the Reformation failed on were; 1) The Protestants were not Bible and Bible only and

One would need a clear and supported understanding of just what constitutes "Bible and Bible only" in the minds of the Reformers. (Often referred to as Sola Scriptura, if I am not mistaken.) Actually not even the Bible is "Bible and Bible only." Check Paul's comments in 1 Cor. 11:16, where he appeals to tradition to support his view of women/hair/etc.

We ALL follow tradition of some sort, especially in areas that we feel are either "vitally important" or quite insignificant.

Posted By: Johann

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/05/15 08:45 PM

I am not convinced the Reformation failed. Read all of the Great Controversy for a good explanation.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/06/15 06:03 PM

JAK wrote; "The seventh day Sabbath played a very minor role if any in the Reformation. That they "paid a terrible price" is unsupported. The biased author is building a straw-man argument."

I disagree completely. It has always been Rome's challenge to Protestants since the Council of Trent. Also, doctrinal differences existed between many of the Reformers and I believe this was because of their rejection of the Sabbath.

I believe we need to realize the importance of the Council of Trent to Roman Catholics as well as Protestants. I believe many Catholics were prepared to leave the Roman Church if a strong enough case were made by the Protestants. But, they failed to do so because of their rejection of the Sabbath.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/06/15 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Johann
I am not convinced the Reformation failed. Read all of the Great Controversy for a good explanation.

Just look at what happened to the Reformation in our time.
Posted By: dedication

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/07/15 04:38 AM

Maybe saying the Reformation "failed" isn't quite correct.
The Reformation made some gigantic leaps out of darkness into light. It broke the suffocating hold of the medieval church and brought the scriptures with its truths to the common people. But then it faltered in its advance into truth and drew slowly back.

Why did it falter and draw back instead of pressing on?

Alchemy is correct in his present day assessment of the Reformation -- the protest is being declared "dead" by some pretty prominent people. One startling example of this was Tony Palmer and his enthusiastic reception by a large group of evangelicals, and the message is still proclaimed by Evangelical leaders like Copland.

Now it's true the protest WILL continue, even though it's death may be in the minds of the majority, and urged on in ever stronger measures by the ecumenical minded protestants. The protest may appear to be dead, but a remnant will continue the protest until the end. Truth cannot unite under the umbrella of error.

Yet, the question remains -- why did the main swell of the Reformation falter and retreat and is now steadily returning into the arms of papal primacy?

There are a number of reasons, the council of Trent being one of them.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/07/15 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By: dedication
True. It isn't correct at all.

But then it faltered in its advance into truth and drew slowly back.
This assumes that it had some sort of goal it was trying to achieve. I do not think that was the case.

To say something "failed" assumes there were outcomes that were not achieved. What were the desired outcomes for the Reformers? This has not been established.

So, without any stated outcomes, one cannot say whether or not something failed.

This whole discussion seems to be based on some modern person's (ie: Alchemy's and the aforementioned biased author's) idea of what the "Reformation" should have achieved. It has yet to be shown what the reformers themselves had in mind for outcomes.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/07/15 05:17 AM

Seriously? The entire Roman Church was going to discard tradition? This statement needs EXTENSIVE documentation.

Please address the above noted scepticism.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/07/15 07:03 AM

Why did it falter and draw back instead of pressing on?

Alchemy is correct in his present day assessment of the Reformation -- the protest is being declared "dead" by some pretty prominent people. One startling example of this was Tony Palmer and his enthusiastic reception by a large group of evangelicals, and the message is still proclaimed by Evangelical leaders like Copland.

The reformation failed in making a complete break from the counterfeit church. Due to this failure it is now returning (not giving up individual denominational names which gives the illusion of independence in unity) but they are still returning to the papal church which strongly believes it alone is the dispenser of salvation.

This "return" is a complete undoing of the reformation -- a complete undoing of everything the reformers gave their lives to achieve.

Protestant churches are believing it's an act of loving Christianity to "unite" with Catholicism -- but in doing so they are undoing the Reformation -- they even brag that the "protest" of Protestantism is DEAD. (As you will hear if you click on the links above)

Remember the Papal church does NOT consider the Protestant churches as "equals".

1) Official statement sent out June 30,2000, by the "Congregation on the Doctrine of Faith" (formerly the inquisition) written by Joseph Ratzinger (then the head of the Congregation of Doctrine of Faith, but later Pope Benedict)

Quote:
The historical references presented in the preceding paragraphs illustrate the significance which the expression sister Churches has assumed in the ecumenical dialogue. This makes the correct theological use of the term even more important.
It must always be clear, when the expression sister Churches is used in this proper sense, that the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Universal Church is not sister but mother of all the particular Churches

2)On Tuesday, September 5th, 2000, the Vatican made public a strongly worded document titled "Dominus Iesus" which reaffirmed the long held Catholic doctrine that only the Roman Catholic Church is the true Church of Christ. Excerpt from "Dominus Iesus":
Quote:
17. Therefore, there exists a single Church of Christ, which subsists in the Catholic Church, governed by the Successor of Peter and by the Bishops in communion with him.58 The Churches which, while not existing in perfect communion with the Catholic Church, remain united to her by means of the closest bonds, that is, by apostolic succession and a valid Eucharist, are true particular Churches.....
On the other hand, the ecclesial communities which have not preserved the valid Episcopate and the genuine and integral substance of the Eucharistic mystery, (Protestant churches) are not Churches in the proper sense;....
23....We believe that this one true religion continues to exist in the Catholic and Apostolic Church, to which the Lord Jesus entrusted the task of spreading it among all people.....

3) The primacy of the papacy over all churches.
This is one of the hurdles that is still under discussion. It has been stated several times that the pope cannot give up his supposedly God given role of primacy over the churches. So there is a lot of talk about making this primacy a little more acceptable to the thinking of Protestantism. However, the bottom line is -- the papacy insists on maintaining primacy in the ecumenical movement.

The following warning has been unheeded thus the undoing of the Reformation:

Originally Posted By: EGW
And let it be remembered, it is the boast of Rome that she never changes. The principles of Gregory VII. and Innocent III. are still the principles of the Romish Church. ...
God's Word has given warning of the impending danger; let this be unheeded, and the Protestant world will learn what the purposes of Rome really are, only when it is too late to escape the snare. She is silently growing into power. Her doctrines are exerting their influence in legislative halls, in the churches, and in the hearts of men. She is piling up her lofty and massive structures, in the secret recesses of which her former persecutions will be repeated. Stealthily and unsuspectedly she is strengthening her forces to further her own ends when the time shall come for her to strike. All that she desires is vantage-ground, and this is already being given her. We shall soon see and shall feel what the purpose of the Roman element is. Whoever shall believe and obey the Word of God will thereby incur reproach and persecution. {GC88 581.1}

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/07/15 12:20 PM

The Great Controversy pictures the Reformation of the 16th century a great success in some of the major differences with the Roman Catholic church.

Quote:
Many reformers, in entering upon their work, determined to exercise great prudence in attacking the sins of the church and the nation. They hoped, by the example of a pure Christian life, to lead the people back to the doctrines of the Bible. But the Spirit of God came upon them as it came upon Elijah, moving him to rebuke the sins of a wicked king and an apostate people; they could not refrain from preaching the plain utterances of the Bible—doctrines which they had been reluctant to present. They were impelled to zealously declare the truth and the danger which threatened souls. The words which the Lord gave them they uttered, fearless of consequences, and the people were compelled to hear the warning.{GC 606.1}

The reformation opened up the Bible

Religious freedom made it possible to preach the Gospel.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/08/15 03:53 AM

True == the Reformation made some gigantic leaps out of darkness into light back in the 1500's. It broke the suffocating hold of the medieval church and brought the scriptures with its truths to the common people. But then it faltered in its advance into truth and drew slowly back, till now many protestants are saying "the protest is dead". (See links in my last post)

Our concern is why did it falter and draw back instead of pressing on?

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/08/15 11:25 AM

True. It isn't correct at all.

But then it faltered in its advance into truth and drew slowly back.
This assumes that it had some sort of goal it was trying to achieve. I do not think that was the case.

To say something "failed" assumes there were outcomes that were not achieved. What were the desired outcomes for the Reformers? This has not been established.

So, without any stated outcomes, one cannot say whether or not something failed.

This whole discussion seems to be based on some modern person's (ie: Alchemy's and the aforementioned biased author's) idea of what the "Reformation" should have achieved. It has yet to be shown what the reformers themselves had in mind for outcomes.

All I can say is you need to read "The History of the Reformation" and "The History of Protestantism". Both of these were written in the nineteenth century and they were already lamenting how Protestantism was faltering and not meeting its intended goals per se'.

So yes! Protestantism had very major goals in mind to carry on into the future and it was faltering in stead. These days, as dedication said, the Reformation is almost dead except for a remnant.

I believe it was a politician name Rick Santorum who said while running for the President of the United States, that Protestantism wasn't anywhere to be found!

There isn't any assumption in saying Protestantism has not met its intended outcome.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/08/15 03:08 PM

All I can say is you need to read "The History of the Reformation" and "The History of Protestantism".

A. Why do you assume that I have not?
B. If that is "all you can say" you would do well to stop posting on a topic you admit to knowing nothing about.

So yes! Protestantism had very major goals in mind

This may or may not be true. The problem is that both you and yon biased author ASSUME it to be true and then base your arguments on this assumption.

I believe it was a politician name Rick Santorum...

Who...?
Being Canadian, I don't give a rat's a$$ about what some US politician says.

Oh, by the way, would this be the same Rick Santorum who said: "I'm more qualified than Pope Francis to talk about climate change because I'm a politician."?

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/09/15 01:44 AM

Was the coming of Jesus to earth a failure? What percentage of the world population have not heard of him yet?

What percentage of His own people accepted His teachings?

He was crucified at a young age. His followers were persecuted,and many of them followed his teachings in name only. or they changed some of His basic teachings.

How do you compare that with the reformation?

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/09/15 05:56 AM

Their really is no comparison with Christ here --

Jesus offers salvation full and complete, it's not He that fails. It's the people that receive light but then repeatedly fail throughout the progress of history.

Alchemy has a good point --
We can stick our heads in the sand and say "everything is just fine in the mainline protestant churches, and simply move with the current that is sweeping the religious world back into the papal fold, or we can look at what happened that muted the protest and seek for the narrow path that leads to eternal life in Christ.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/09/15 06:48 AM

All I can say is you need to read "The History of the Reformation" and "The History of Protestantism".

A. Why do you assume that I have not?
B. If that is "all you can say" you would do well to stop posting on a topic you admit to knowing nothing about.

So yes! Protestantism had very major goals in mind

This may or may not be true. The problem is that both you and yon biased author ASSUME it to be true and then base your arguments on this assumption.

I believe it was a politician name Rick Santorum...

Who...?
Being Canadian, I don't give a rat's a$$ about what some US politician says.

Oh, by the way, would this be the same Rick Santorum who said: "I'm more qualified than Pope Francis to talk about climate change because I'm a politician."?

I really don't understand why you are taking this so personal, but I assure you I never meant anything I said to be personal toward you.

With that out of the way, I have not assumed anything about Protestantism.

JAK wrote; "Who...?
Being Canadian, I don't give a rat's a$$ about what some US politician says."

A comment most unbecoming a Christian.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/09/15 06:50 AM

Exactly dedication.

We know that even in our time Protestantism finally wins.

But, I do believe this speaks to the failure of Protestantism over the last century or so.
Posted By: Charity

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/13/15 02:08 PM

We know that even in our time Protestantism finally wins.

Protestantism does indeed win in the end. Alleluia! Christ will make quick work of it and cut it short in righteousness.

Some of you know that at the end of last April I had a 10 second dream where a voice said to me: "In yet five months I will purify the sons of Levi." Five months from the day I had the dream April 30, is the Day of Atonement. I'm not a prophet by the way, but the dream called to my mind the Shaking vision in Early Writings.

If this year's Day of Atonement marks a paradigm transition in the ministry of Christ, how will that affect Adventism? This vision of the shaking in EW describes what to expect and Dedication, more than this, the vision shows how the Protestant Reformation ends in triumph.

We know that judgment begins with the house of God. There are already signs of light being poured out on the church and sometimes it is accepted and sometimes rejected. Doug Bachelor's special program on Women's Ordination 8 days ago was full of light. Steve Wohlbergs' messages on the righteousness of Christ are excellent. These are just two examples:
Quote:

I saw some, with strong faith and agonizing cries, pleading with God. Their countenances were pale and marked with deep anxiety, expressive of their internal struggle. Firmness and great earnestness was expressed in their countenances; large drops of perspiration fell from their foreheads. Now and then their faces would light up with the marks of God's approbation, and again the same solemn, earnest, anxious look would settle upon them. {EW 269.1}

Evil angels crowded around, pressing darkness upon them to shut out Jesus from their view, that their eyes might be drawn to the darkness that surrounded them, and thus they be led to distrust God and murmur against Him. Their only safety was in keeping their eyes directed upward. Angels of God had charge over His people, and as the poisonous atmosphere of evil angels was pressed around these anxious ones, the heavenly angels were continually wafting their wings over them to scatter the thick darkness. {EW 269.2}

As the praying ones continued their earnest cries, at times a ray of light from Jesus came to them, to encourage their hearts and light up their countenances. Some, I saw, did not participate in this work of agonizing and pleading. They seemed indifferent and careless. They were not resisting the darkness around them, and it shut them in like a thick cloud. The angels of God left these and went to the aid of the earnest, praying ones. I saw angels of God hasten to the assistance of all who were struggling with all their power to resist the evil angels and trying to help themselves by calling upon God with perseverance. But His angels left those who made no effort to help themselves, and I lost sight of them. {EW 270.1}

I asked the meaning of the shaking I had seen and was shown that it would be caused by the straight testimony called forth by the counsel of the True Witness to the Laodiceans. This will have its effect upon the heart of the receiver, and will lead him to exalt the standard and pour forth the straight truth. Some will not bear this straight testimony. They will rise up against it, and this is what will cause a shaking among God's people. {EW 270.2}

I saw that the testimony of the True Witness has not been half heeded. The solemn testimony upon which the destiny of the church hangs has been lightly esteemed, if not entirely disregarded. This testimony must work deep repentance; all who truly receive it will obey it and be purified. {EW 270.3}

Said the angel, "List ye!" Soon I heard a voice like many musical instruments all sounding in perfect strains, sweet and harmonious. It surpassed any music I had ever heard, seeming to be full of mercy, compassion, and elevating, holy joy. It thrilled through my whole being. Said the angel, "Look ye!" My attention was then turned to the company I had seen, who were mightily shaken. I was shown those whom I had before seen weeping and praying in agony of spirit. The company of guardian angels around them had been doubled, and they were clothed with an armor from their head to their feet. They moved in exact order, like a company of soldiers. Their countenances expressed the severe conflict which they had endured, the agonizing struggle they had passed through. Yet their features, marked with severe internal anguish, now shone with the light and glory of heaven. They had obtained the victory, and it called forth from them the deepest gratitude and holy, sacred joy. {EW 270.4}

The numbers of this company had lessened. Some had been shaken out and left by the way. The careless and indifferent, who did not join with those who prized victory and salvation enough to perseveringly plead and agonize for it, did not obtain it, and they were left behind in darkness, and their places were immediately filled by others taking hold of the truth and coming into the ranks. Evil angels still pressed around them, but could have no power over them. {EW 271.1}

I heard those clothed with the armor speak forth the truth with great power. It had effect. Many had been bound; some wives by their husbands, and some children by their parents. The honest who had been prevented from hearing the truth now eagerly laid hold upon it. All fear of their relatives was gone, and the truth alone was exalted to them. They had been hungering and thirsting for truth; it was dearer and more precious than life. I asked what had made this great change. An angel answered, "It is the latter rain, the refreshing from the presence of the Lord, the loud cry of the third angel." {EW 271.2}

Great power was with these chosen ones. Said the angel, "Look ye!" My attention was turned to the wicked, or unbelievers. They were all astir. The zeal and power with the people of God had aroused and enraged them. Confusion, confusion, was on every side. I saw measures taken against the company who had the light and power of God. Darkness thickened around them; yet they stood firm, approved of God, and trusting in Him. I saw them perplexed; next I heard them crying unto God earnestly. Day and night their cry ceased not: "Thy will, O God, be done! If it can glorify Thy name, make a way of escape for Thy people! Deliver us from the heathen around about us. They have appointed us unto death; but Thine arm can bring salvation." These are all the words which I can bring to mind. All seemed to have a deep sense of their unworthiness and manifested entire submission to the will of God; yet, like Jacob, every one, without an exception, was earnestly pleading and wrestling for deliverance. {EW 272.1}

Soon after they had commenced their earnest cry, the angels, in sympathy, desired to go to their deliverance. But a tall, commanding angel suffered them not. He said, "The will of God is not yet fulfilled. They must drink of the cup. They must be baptized with the baptism." {EW 272.2}

Soon I heard the voice of God, which shook the heavens and the earth. There was a mighty earthquake. Buildings were shaken down on every side. I then heard a triumphant shout of victory, loud, musical, and clear. I looked upon the company, who, a short time before, were in such distress and bondage. Their captivity was turned. A glorious light shone upon them. How beautiful they then looked! All marks of care and weariness were gone, and health and beauty were seen in every countenance. Their enemies, the heathen around them, fell like dead men; they could not endure the light that shone upon the delivered, holy ones. This light and glory remained upon them, until Jesus was seen in the clouds of heaven, and the faithful, tried company were changed in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, from glory to glory. And the graves were opened, and the saints came forth, clothed with immortality, crying, "Victory over death and the grave"; and together with the living saints they were caught up to meet their Lord in the air, while rich, musical shouts of glory and victory were upon every immortal tongue. {EW 272.3}

What do you all think? The corporate body of Adventism may continue but only those who obtain "the victory" will be endowed with the presence of Christ. What is life without the presence of the Savior? Several months ago as I was studying the intercession of Moses at Mt. Sinai for the people, I noted Moses' response to God's suggestion that Moses lead the people but He would not personally be present with them. Moses was devastated and basically said, If you're not with us, what's the point? It's Your presence that makes us your people.

Quote:
Exo 33:1 And the LORD said unto Moses, Depart, and go up hence, thou and the people which thou hast brought up out of the land of Egypt, unto the land which I sware unto Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, saying, Unto thy seed will I give it:
Exo 33:2 And I will send an angel before thee; and I will drive out the Canaanite, the Amorite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite:
Exo 33:3 Unto a land flowing with milk and honey: for I will not go up in the midst of thee; for thou art a stiffnecked people: lest I consume thee in the way.
Exo 33:4 And when the people heard these evil tidings, they mourned: and no man did put on him his ornaments.
Exo 33:5 For the LORD had said unto Moses, Say unto the children of Israel, Ye are a stiffnecked people: I will come up into the midst of thee in a moment, and consume thee: therefore now put off thy ornaments from thee, that I may know what to do unto thee.
Exo 33:6 And the children of Israel stripped themselves of their ornaments by the mount Horeb. . .
Exo 33:12 And Moses said unto the LORD, See, thou sayest unto me, Bring up this people: and thou hast not let me know whom thou wilt send with me. Yet thou hast said, I know thee by name, and thou hast also found grace in my sight.
Exo 33:13 Now therefore, I pray thee, if I have found grace in thy sight, shew me now thy way, that I may know thee, that I may find grace in thy sight: and consider that this nation is thy people.
Exo 33:14 And he said, My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest.
Exo 33:15 And he said unto him, If thy presence go not with me, carry us not up hence.
Exo 33:16 For wherein shall it be known here that I and thy people have found grace in thy sight? is it not in that thou goest with us? so shall we be separated, I and thy people, from all the people that are upon the face of the earth.
Exo 33:17 And the LORD said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/14/15 04:52 AM

Mark Shipowick wrote;

"If this year's Day of Atonement marks a paradigm transition in the ministry of Christ, how will that affect Adventism? This vision of the shaking in EW describes what to expect and Dedication, more than this, the vision shows how the Protestant Reformation ends in triumph. "

What is so special about Yom Kippur this year?

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/14/15 12:04 PM

Blessings everyone,

I do believe one issue particular needs to be cleared up in this discussion.

The Reformation had a very powerful agenda;

1) To open the Scriptures in the common languages.
2) To promote Liberty of Conscience as a divine concept.
3) To proclaim to the world that the Roman Papacy is the little horn power in Daniel and the antichrist power in Thessalonians.

And this is just to name a few.

The Protestant Reformation was not hap-hazard or aimless in its purposes, but it was driven by the power of the Holy Spirit. It was a return to primitive Godliness that was most desired by the Reformers.

There is very little respect of even consideration for these ideals today, even among Protestant churches.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/14/15 02:02 PM

Blessings everyone,

I do believe one issue particular needs to be cleared up in this discussion.

The Reformation had a very powerful agenda;

1) To open the Scriptures in the common languages.
2) To promote Liberty of Conscience as a divine concept.
3) To proclaim to the world that the Roman Papacy is the little horn power in Daniel and the antichrist power in Thessalonians.

And this is just to name a few.

The Protestant Reformation was not hap-hazard or aimless in its purposes, but it was driven by the power of the Holy Spirit. It was a return to primitive Godliness that was most desired by the Reformers.

There is very little respect of even consideration for these ideals today, even among Protestant churches.

This is so right. It is also remarkable that the great reformer Martin Luther proteted agains the priesthood in his church. He claimed the priesthood of all belivers meant that an ordination was not essential; that any believer could perform any of the duties prescribed by the church for the priests alone - where no minister is present.

So in that area the reformation has failed in the Adventist Church.

Here are some of the words of Luther:

Quote:
In the New Testament, the Holy Spirit carefully avoids giving the same ‘sacerdos’ priest, to any of the apostles or to any other office. Rather he accepts this name to the baptized, or Christians, as their birthright and heredity name…none of us is born an apostle, preacher, teacher, pastor; but there all of us are born solely priests - See more at: http://tifwe.org/resources/the-priesthood-of-all-believers/#sthash.KkcC7mBk.dpuf

Quoted in Ewald M. Plass, What Luther Says (Saint Louis: Concordia Publ. House, 1959), 1140.

Actually the Reformation of Martin Luther conisted of three major points:

1. Scripture alone
2. Justification by faith alone
3. The priesthood of all believers.

Many have forgotten the third point today.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/14/15 04:03 PM

Johann wrote;

"Actually the Reformation of Martin Luther conisted of three major points:

1. Scripture alone
2. Justification by faith alone
3. The priesthood of all believers.

Many have forgotten the third point today."

I agree with all your points except the last one. The priesthood of all believers is taught and practiced in the SDA Church, we just include the context of Exodus 19:5,6. This is where it was first introduced among God's people.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 06/14/15 05:38 PM

Quote:

Martin Luther (1483-1546)

German reformer and founder of the Lutheran church
Martin Luther. A portrait by Lucas Carnach. (Lerner 452)

Luther is the most famous of all the reformers, for he is credited with initiating the Protestant reformation on October 31, 1517 when he nailed his now famous "95 Theses" objecting to the Catholic indulgence doctrine to the door of a church in Wittenberg, Germany.

Martin Luther was originally a Roman Catholic monk and scholar who soon found himself objecting not only to the abuses in his Church, but more crucially, to some of its doctrines, or teachings. After the publication of his "95 Theses," Luther found himself in more and more trouble with Church authorities so that by 1519 he finally broke with the Church and went on to write and preach and through these activities, continue the work of the Reformation.

Theological premises

Luther finally came up with three main premises, which are also accepted by many other Protestant groups. Christians should believe in:

Justification by faith (it is through faith only that Christians will be saved, not by Good Works as the Catholic Church maintained)

The primacy of Scripture (the literal meaning of the Bible should be preferred to any traditional or learned readings, and anything not specifically grounded in Scripture was to be rejected)

The "priest-hood of all believers" (ordained priests were not the only ones who should be considered members of the "true spiritual estate," so here Luther did away with the priesthood, though many Protestant groups still use ministers or pastors to lead others)

http://www.eng.fju.edu.tw/English_Literature/religion/PROTESTANTISM.html

When was this changed?

The 95 thesis were still hanging on the church door in Wittemberg last time we visited the place, and also when a son was there recently.

We stayed at the Adventisit church in Wittemberg. They have a reasonable lodging for visitors.The communist regime helped the Adventists build a new church.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 07/03/15 03:46 AM

Johann wrote;

"

When was this changed?

The 95 thesis were still hanging on the church door in Wittemberg last time we visited the place, and also when a son was there recently.

We stayed at the Adventisit church in Wittemberg. They have a reasonable lodging for visitors.The communist regime helped the Adventists build a new church."

The 95 thesis may still hang on the door, but, Protestantism has lost its savor in the world.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 07/03/15 07:59 PM

The 95 thesis may still hang on the door, but, Protestantism has lost its savor in the world.

Fully agreed, Alchemy. Why should Rome then retain such a marked influence also within the Seventh-day Adventist Church? Do we think we are immune?

The first settlers in Iceland came here about 1500 years ago. Those early Christians had learned the Gospel from the Apostle John around Ephesus and migrated through Europe to Ireland (Not Iceland). When the Roman Catholics arrived in Ireland later they brought soldiers with them to force all to accept the Roman religion. The prime Christians refused to accept the Roman herecies and fled, first to the islands between Ireland and Scotland, then to the Orkney Islands and finally to Iceland.

We know of two doctrines the Romans tried to enforce which the Kelts refused to accept.

1. Sunday keeping

2. Male only ministry

These early Christians had learned from John to keep the Seventh-day Sabbath and to engage women in the ministry. Several died as martyrs because they refused to accept the Roman doctrines.

Do we have the courage to refuse all of the Romanism in our church today? Or is our faith just a worthless doctrine?
Posted By: Rick H

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 07/19/15 01:11 AM

Johann wrote;

"

When was this changed?

We stayed at the Adventisit church in Wittemberg. They have a reasonable lodging for visitors.The communist regime helped the Adventists build a new church."

They have lost more than that as very few even know what they believe anymore..
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 07/19/15 06:53 PM

Which is why Satan is aiming at a "a grand movement . . . new and more exalted system of religious faith". GC 589. Catholics, Protestants, and worldlings alike will be deceived and join the grand movement and new religion.

Quote:
The line of distinction between professed Christians and the ungodly is now hardly distinguishable. Church members love what the world loves and are ready to join with them, and Satan determines to unite them in one body and thus strengthen his cause by sweeping all into the ranks of spiritualism. Papists, who boast of miracles as a certain sign of the true church, will be readily deceived by this wonder-working power; and Protestants, having cast away the shield of truth, will also be deluded. Papists, Protestants, and worldlings will alike accept the form of godliness without the power, and they will see in this union a grand movement for the conversion of the world and the ushering in of the long-expected millennium. {GC 588.3}

Through spiritualism, Satan appears as a benefactor of the race, healing the diseases of the people, and professing to present a new and more exalted system of religious faith; but at the same time he works as a destroyer. His temptations are leading multitudes to ruin. Intemperance dethrones reason; sensual indulgence, strife, and bloodshed follow. Satan delights in war, for it excites the worst passions of the soul and then sweeps into eternity its victims steeped in vice and blood. It is his object to incite the nations to war against one another, for he can thus divert the minds of the people from the work of preparation to stand in the day of God. {GC 589.1}

This grand movement and new religion has not yet developed - but it will.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? - 07/23/15 01:57 PM

dedication wrote;

"Maybe saying the Reformation "failed" isn't quite correct.
The Reformation made some gigantic leaps out of darkness into light. It broke the suffocating hold of the medieval church and brought the scriptures with its truths to the common people. But then it faltered in its advance into truth and drew slowly back. "

Excellent point dedication.

The fact that we are here is proof the Reformation is still alive. But, it hasn't lived up to it's true potential in centuries.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church