Acts 7:14-16. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this text?

Posted By: Alchemy

Acts 7:14-16. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this text? - 07/06/16 03:41 PM

I have seen it written that verse 16 should say Jacob instead of Abraham. What do you believe?
Posted By: dedication

Re: Acts 7:14-16. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this text? - 07/07/16 10:01 AM

This is Stephen's sermon --

7:14 Then sent Joseph, and called his father Jacob to him, and all his kindred, threescore and fifteen souls.
7:15 So Jacob went down into Egypt, and died, he, and our fathers,
7:16 And were carried over into Sychem, and laid in the sepulchre that Abraham bought for a sum of money of the sons of Emmor [the father] of Sychem.

No, there is no mistake. The only question might be the name of the former owner of the field (Ephron the Hittite -- is here Emmor)

Joseph, governor in Egypt, asks His father, Jacob, and brothers to move to Egypt. They all move to Egypt and eventually all die there.

But they weren't buried in Egypt.
Back in Abraham's day, when his wife Sarah died, Abraham bought a field in the land of Canaan (Machpelah) where He buried Sarah. Isaac and Rebekah were buried there, and later Jacob buried, Leah there.

That's where they all wanted to be buried when they died.

See Genesis 23:13-20 where Abraham buys the field when Sarah died.
Genesis 25:9-10 Abraham was buried there

See Genesis 49:28 to 50:14 for the story of the burial of Jacob in Abraham's field.
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: Acts 7:14-16. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this text? - 07/07/16 11:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Alchemy

I have seen it written that verse 16 should say Jacob instead of Abraham. What do you believe?

The numbers may be a minor issue. In Acts, as Dedication quoted, it says "threescore and fifteen." In Genesis, however, it says "threescore and ten."

". . . all the souls of the house of Jacob, which came into Egypt, [were] threescore and ten." (Gen. 46:27)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Acts 7:14-16. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this text? - 07/10/16 10:09 AM

Originally Posted By: dedication
This is Stephen's sermon --

7:14 Then sent Joseph, and called his father Jacob to him, and all his kindred, threescore and fifteen souls.
7:15 So Jacob went down into Egypt, and died, he, and our fathers,
7:16 And were carried over into Sychem, and laid in the sepulchre that Abraham bought for a sum of money of the sons of Emmor [the father] of Sychem.

No, there is no mistake. The only question might be the name of the former owner of the field (Ephron the Hittite -- is here Emmor)

Joseph, governor in Egypt, asks His father, Jacob, and brothers to move to Egypt. They all move to Egypt and eventually all die there.

But they weren't buried in Egypt.
Back in Abraham's day, when his wife Sarah died, Abraham bought a field in the land of Canaan (Machpelah) where He buried Sarah. Isaac and Rebekah were buried there, and later Jacob buried, Leah there.

That's where they all wanted to be buried when they died.

See Genesis 23:13-20 where Abraham buys the field when Sarah died.
Genesis 25:9-10 Abraham was buried there

See Genesis 49:28 to 50:14 for the story of the burial of Jacob in Abraham's field.

You're right dedication. Except that the field mentioned in verse 16 is the one bought by Jacob in Genesis 33:19. (Josh. 24:32; John 4:5) All the people are correct, and all but Joseph was buried in the cave in Machpelah. But, this verse mentions the wrong piece of property.

Re: Acts 7:14-16. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this text? - 07/10/16 10:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: Alchemy

The numbers may be a minor issue. In Acts, as Dedication quoted, it says "threescore and fifteen." In Genesis, however, it says "threescore and ten."

". . . all the souls of the house of Jacob, which came into Egypt, [were] threescore and ten." (Gen. 46:27)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Excellent point, Green. I really wasn't thinking of this point though.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church