Spanking Your Child?

Posted By: Daryl

Spanking Your Child? - 06/21/02 04:33 AM

In a society where school teachers are now afraid to give an unruly student the strap, is it also inappropriate or, better still, not biblical for Christian parents to spank their unruly child?
Posted By: Avalee

Re: Spanking Your Child? - 06/21/02 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Fawcett:
In a society where school teachers are now afraid to give an unruly student the strap, is it also inappropriate or, better still, not biblical for Christian parents to spank their unruly child?

Daryl I do not know what the laws are in Canada but I do believe it has been a very long long time since a teacher was allowed to touch a student in any kind of a way as far as discipline goes. When I was in school if we were bad we not only got it there; but we got it again when we got home.

My children are all grown up so I do not keep up with the laws of the land about this...did not do it then either. But from what I hear from listening to the radio and others talking that parents are not allowed to do much discipline either. If you spank your child I have heard they can tell on you and you will get in trouble. From what I understand it has really gotten out of hand. Since the laws have come into effect on schools and parents not being able to spank, etc. I have not seen where this has done a bit of good. I see that children are worse than ever. They have no respect for their parents and for sure not the schools. Like I say I am not personally involved anymore but I hear and see how the kids act.
Posted By: Sarah Moss

Re: Spanking Your Child? - 06/25/02 01:09 AM

The problem, as I see it, is that too many parents (and others) began abusing their privilege to discipline children. Disciplining, including spanking, appears to me to be very Biblical - "spare the rod, spoil the child" "those whom I love I chasten", to name only a couple of short quotes from scripture. Unfortunately, there was a time when media got ahold of stories of child abusers and I think a lot of it was blown a little out of proportion and somebody decided it was a good political platform. As Avalee pointed out though, it doesn't seem to have helped to make it taboo to spank children, it only seems to have worsened the situation. Children who are raised with the "hands-off" style of disciplining (if any discsipline is given at all) are generally worse behaved than children who know and understand where their parents rules and limits are.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church