Avoid discord

Posted By: Avalee

Avoid discord - 04/03/04 04:55 PM

quote:
Jesus knew that they would spare no effort to create a division between His own disciples and those of John. He knew that the storm was gathering which would sweep away one of the greatest prophets ever given to the world. Wishing to avoid all occasion for misunderstanding or dissension, He quietly ceased His labors, and withdrew to Galilee. We also, while loyal to truth, should try to avoid all that may lead to discord and misapprehension. For whenever these arise, they result in the loss of souls. Whenever circumstances occur that threaten to cause division, we should follow the example of Jesus and of John the Baptist.
The Desire of Ages - Page 181

Posted By: Daryl

Re: Avoid discord - 04/11/04 01:19 AM

Why is it that things or hurts like this happens?

There are times when we, either intentionally or most likely unintentionally, hurt somebody even in church.

Why does the person doing the hurting do it?

Why does the person being hurt allow that to destroy his or her attitude of worship?

This reminds me of a true story when from a distance I noticed to of our church ladies talking to each other. One turned away and left, but not before I noticed a strange expression on her face. I immediately told the other lady that I think she may have said something that hurt or offended the other lady. She went to the other lady. She later came to me and said that I was correct in that she unknowingly said something that hurt the other lady to which she had quickly apologized which avoided who knows what. I praise the Lord that I happened to be looking in their direction at the time of the incident.

This goes to show how we can unknowingly hurt somebody by our words as well as by our actions.

May we truly love one another as He truly loves us!

Re: Avoid discord - 04/11/04 01:21 AM

In all practicality, how do we avoid discord?

How do we avoid unintentionally hurting somebody we love in the faith?
Posted By: danielw

Re: Avoid discord - 04/12/04 03:22 PM

I would surely love to know how not to unintentionally hurt someone i love as a Brother or Sister.

Recently i'd made plans to take a friend to meet the closest Sister to me here in Japan and have a Bible study. When i called to tell her we were on our way, she said she'd had a car accident that morning. My 10yen coin was about to run out, so i said we'd meet again sometime. I was thinking she'd have lots of police reports etc. to fill out, and i would just be in the way. Besides, i had this other friend to think about too.

Well, this Sister was really cool to me for over a week, and finally she blurted out one nite on the phone that she thot i'd left her high and dry when she needed me most!!!

What to do? [Confused]

Anyway, we made up, but how could i have helped prevent this in the first place? She is quite emotional, and not to strong in the rational areas. As i'm the opposite, i can see God's hand clearly in leading us together to work for the spreading of the 3rd Angel's Message here in Japan.

Re: Avoid discord - 04/12/04 03:38 PM

If we must err, I guess it is always better to err on the side of offering to do something, or asking how can I be of assistance, no matter what it is.

If they decline, at least they can't say you didn't offer, and an unintentional hurt is avoided.
Posted By: Shelley

Re: Avoid discord - 07/20/04 05:51 PM

In all practicality, how do we avoid discord?

How do we avoid unintentionally hurting somebody we love in the faith?

In all practicality I do not think that it is humanly possible to totally avoid discord.

Because of our humanness and life’s experiences we all carry baggage and are egocentric. Our hurt reactions come from our bruised egos. One way we can try to prevent these reactions is to crucify our ego. With the help of God, a person may be able to achieve this to some degree. However, if the person who is unintentionally offended has not done the work, they will still be offended. I hope this makes sense.

Here is something that God showed me when I asked Him what he meant by “die to self”

SELF IS EGO
Ego is impatient,
Ego is unkind.
It is envious,
It is boastful,
It is proud.
It is rude,
It is self seeking,
It is easily angered,
It keeps a record of wrongs.
Ego delights in evil
And hates the truth.
It does not protect,
Trust, or hope.
It easily gives up.
Ego is a loser.

I guess if we all die to self there will be no discord.

If only it were that simple. Old habits die hard.

Shelley [Cool]
Posted By: John H.

Re: Avoid discord - 07/20/04 11:37 PM

The flip side of 1 Corinthians 13, the love chapter -- interesting way to look at it!

The carnal selfish unregenerate nature is the very opposite of the spiritual love that can be infused into the character of man by God, 'tis true.
Posted By: D R

Re: Avoid discord - 07/21/04 03:20 PM

-This is a great topic, and I have been blessed as I have read these posts:
-One point that we need to seriously look at, is the fact that no matter what we say or do, sometimes we will offend (unintentionally) someone. AND sometimes we also could be offended.
-TO ERR IS HUMAN, TO FORGIVE IS DEVINE.
-In my life I have made it a part of me to FORGIVE even when the party has not asked for forgivness. Again it goes back to scripture, that we shall be judged in the like manner of which we judge others.

-Blessings to all that are here at MSDAonline, and remember that what we perceve as "stumbling blocks" may be just points used as an excuse by ourselves and or others. Keep our eyes on Christ, and the things of this world (outward appearence) will grow strangly dim! The physical of this world will pass away, and we shall be changed (not just a little bit).
Posted By: Avalee

Re: Avoid discord - 07/21/04 05:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Richards:
-One point that we need to seriously look at, is the fact that no matter what we say or do, sometimes we will offend (unintentionally) someone.

Daniel you are so right here. I belive that in this stage of time people have become so overly senstive to just about anything that you can never know when you will offend someone.

Re: Avoid discord - 07/22/04 06:20 AM

This reminds me of this text:

quote:

Psalms 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

What type of people is this referring to that nothing shall offend them?

Are we being offended by anything posted anywhere in MSDAOL?

If we are, then in light of this text, why are we?
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church