Lesson Study #12 - The Pre-Advent JUDGMENT

Posted By: Daryl

Lesson Study #12 - The Pre-Advent JUDGMENT - 09/10/06 07:49 PM

Time to get into Lesson Study #12, which can be accessed at the following link:

http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/06c/less12.html

Re: Lesson Study #12 - The Pre-Advent JUDGMENT - 09/10/06 07:54 PM

How does the Memory Text, quoted below, justify the Pre-Advent Judgment?

Quote:

"And behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be" (Revelation 22:12).

Re: Lesson Study #12 - The Pre-Advent JUDGMENT - 09/10/06 09:30 PM

While you are thinking of the question in the previous post, how about this question from Sunday's study:

What is this cleansing of the sanctuary that was of such importance that it would be linked with the great empires that Scripture uses to depict the history of the world?
Posted By: Johann

Re: Lesson Study #12 - The Pre-Advent JUDGMENT - 09/12/06 01:37 AM

Quote:

While you are thinking of the question in the previous post, how about this question from Sunday's study:

What is this cleansing of the sanctuary that was of such importance that it would be linked with the great empires that Scripture uses to depict the history of the world?

The prophecies draw an interesting parallel between the great empires that fall and the everlasting kingdom of God. All the empires are judged by God, and so is each individual.

Re: Lesson Study #12 - The Pre-Advent JUDGMENT - 09/13/06 08:17 PM

Yes, the cleansing of the sanctuary will usher in the last great empire, which will be the greatest of all, and will never fall.

Re: Lesson Study #12 - The Pre-Advent JUDGMENT - 09/13/06 08:19 PM

From Monday's study comes the following question:

What is the difference in the fate of the little horn and the fate of the "saints of the most high"?
Posted By: James Saptenno

Re: Lesson Study #12 - The Pre-Advent JUDGMENT - 09/15/06 05:40 AM

I am more interested in what God would use as a standard of righteousness in the judgment against the people he judges?

Is it the Ten Commandments?
Is it love?
Is it holiness?
Is there any other standards?

In His love

James s

Re: Lesson Study #12 - The Pre-Advent JUDGMENT - 09/15/06 05:17 PM

That's a good question, James, however, as I want to stick to the lesson study itself, you may wish to present that post again as a separate topic.

Re: Lesson Study #12 - The Pre-Advent JUDGMENT - 09/15/06 05:21 PM

Tuesday's study is on the judgment scene taking place in heaven.

Quote:

Not only do we have a heavenly judgment scene here, a judgment that leads to the destruction of the little horn and the establishment of God's kingdom, this judgment takes place before a multitude of heavenly beings. "Ten thousand times ten thousand" is a way of depicting an uncountable multitude. Thus, what we see here is the onlooking universe watching God execute the judgment that leads to the establishment of His eternal kingdom.

What phase of judgment is being depicted here?

Re: Lesson Study #12 - The Pre-Advent JUDGMENT - 09/15/06 05:46 PM

Wednesday's study title alone, Pre-Advent Judgment, answers the question in my last post.

Quote:

If, at the Second Coming, the saints receive the kingdom and the little horn is destroyed, there must have been some sort of reckoning before the execution of the sentence. After all, even corrupt earthly courts do as much! How fair would it be to sentence someone and then, only after the sentence, have a trial and investigate the facts?

Isn't it kind of hard to bring a reward with Him at the Second Coming if judgment hadn't preceded that?

Re: Lesson Study #12 - The Pre-Advent JUDGMENT - 09/15/06 05:50 PM

Then comes Thursday's study which talks about a purified heaven, or a purified cleaning of the heavenly sanctuary.

I find the following quote from a non-SDA source in Thursday's study most interesting:

Quote:

These texts have baffled non-Adventist scholars because of the clear reference to the idea that the heavenly sanctuary itself needed to be cleansed. "One might conclude that the earthly sanctuary was cleansed because its heavenly counterpart also was to be cleansed." —Craig Koester, Hebrews, Anchor Bible Series (New York: Doubleday, 2001), p. 427.

Re: Lesson Study #12 - The Pre-Advent JUDGMENT - 09/15/06 07:38 PM

Why all this effort of teaching us about the Judgment, because without Daniel 7 and 9 about the judgment, we still have a lot verses about judgment scattered in the bible, and anybody knows that there is a judgment of God to anyone who ever live.
What is so important about the 2300 days that refers to 1844? What benefits we get by knowing that the judgment begin at 1844? We know that God would judge us, what difference it makes by knowing the year of it beginning and knowing not?

What is so important of this lessons that the author try to propose and the benefits for us?

What connection is the author of this lesson tries to propose between the little horn, the sanctuary in heaven and the judgment? There is indeed a connection between the little horn and the sanctuary service in heaven but what connection is there between the little horn with the judgment?

In His love

James S

Re: Lesson Study #12 - The Pre-Advent JUDGMENT - 09/15/06 07:40 PM

Thursday question:
Why is Christ's righteousness covering you, by faith, your only assurance that, indeed, in the Day of Judgment you will be sealed in the book of life forever.
Unquote.

Because Christ righteousness is perfect without blemish, and he is working to impart his righteousness into our hearts, who have faith in him and live by the Spirit, and when his righteousness, which is the righteousness of the law fulfilled in our hearts and the law and the prophets witnessed our love towards our fellowmen, God would justify us for our faith and his grace saved us from condemnation of the law.

Therefore, we are saved by grace, through faith, and not of works, because even thought the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in our hearts and the law and the prophets witnessed our love towards our fellowmen, but before the law we are always sinners condemned to die, it could not justify us for the righteousness we have, as once in our life we have sinned.

Only the grace of God that forgives our sins, might justify our righteousness, imparted by Christ through his Spirit to those who put their faith in him and live by the Spirit. We are then fit for heaven and eternal life, because we have love of Christ in our hearts, his righteousness which is the righteousness of the law, fulfilled in us. (Romans 8:4)

In His love

James S

Re: Lesson Study #12 - The Pre-Advent JUDGMENT - 09/15/06 11:57 PM

Yes, we are saved by grace, through faith, and not by our works, as it says in Ephesians 2:8,9.

But, what are we judged by?

The answer is in Wednesday's study, quoted below:

Quote:

If, when Christ returns, "my reward is with me, to give every man as his work shall be" (Rev. 22:12) and we all are to be judged by our works (Eccles. 12:13, 14; 1 Cor. 3:13; 1 Pet. 1:17; Rev. 20:12), then it's fairly obvious that there must be a judgment prior to the Second Coming. Or, as Adventists phrase it—a pre-Advent, or investigative, judgment. (After all, what kind of judgment prior to a sentence doesn't entail an investigation of some kind?)

What we profess will be judged by our works, which will be completed prior to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.
Posted By: summertime

Re: Lesson Study #12 - The Pre-Advent JUDGMENT - 09/16/06 12:48 AM

Can anyone tell me if the pre-advent judgement and the investigative judgement are the same thing? If not, would someone tell me the difference. Thanks

Re: Lesson Study #12 - The Pre-Advent JUDGMENT - 09/16/06 02:43 AM

It is my understanding that they are one and the same thing.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church