Lesson Study #2 - "In the BEGINNING . . ."

Posted By: Daryl

Lesson Study #2 - "In the BEGINNING . . ." - 10/13/06 04:54 PM

I am late creating this week's study topic, but better late than never.

Here is the direct link to this week's study:

http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/06d/less02.html

Let the discussion begin.

Re: Lesson Study #2 - "In the BEGINNING . . ." - 10/13/06 05:01 PM

I like the Memory Text, quoted below:

Quote:
"By the word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.... For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast" (Psalm 33:6, 9).

This is how we got here.

We didn't get here by some cosmic explosion that evolved into this planet with all the air, water, vegetation, animal life, human life, etc.

We didn't come from the monkey as some try to tell us.

Re: Lesson Study #2 - "In the BEGINNING . . ." - 10/13/06 07:11 PM

Quote:
Genesis 1:1 KJV
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

This is the most important text in the Bible.

As the lesson says, "Out of it and all that it contains flows everything else that we as Christians believe."

Re: Lesson Study #2 - "In the BEGINNING . . ." - 10/13/06 07:22 PM

On the first day God created light and separated the light from the darkness.

Seeing that God didn't create the sun, the moon, and the stars until the fourth day, what kind of light was created on the first day?

Re: Lesson Study #2 - "In the BEGINNING . . ." - 10/14/06 02:56 AM

I was hoping somebody would know the answer to my question.
Posted By: RichH

Re: Lesson Study #2 - "In the BEGINNING . . ." - 10/14/06 06:40 AM

I don't know the answer, and doubt this side of heaven anyone does. Some commentaries I read guessed heat/fire, others think it is redundant with the sun on the 4th day; all indicate they don't really know. What this speaks to me is evidence of true inspiration. Can you imagine making up such a story in so few words and messing up the consistency that bad? I doubt even a child would do that. There must be more to it! But if I had to guess also, I'd guess it may have been the "light of His presence".
Posted By: Will

Re: Lesson Study #2 - "In the BEGINNING . . ." - 10/14/06 07:30 PM

Perhaps God didn't add this light to an object like the sun, moon or stars. Instead He created it, and set it up for a purpose of dividing time itself?
God Bless,
Will

Re: Lesson Study #2 - "In the BEGINNING . . ." - 10/14/06 10:03 PM

If the light were the light of God's presence, then why did God say, "Let there be light"?

Re: Lesson Study #2 - "In the BEGINNING . . ." - 10/14/06 11:46 PM

We had an interesting question regarding "be fruitful and multiply."

Does it say anywhere somewhere that humans are the only beings that God created that could procreate?
Posted By: RichH

Re: Lesson Study #2 - "In the BEGINNING . . ." - 10/15/06 08:31 AM

Daryl wrote: "If the light were the light of God's presence, then why did God say, 'Let there be light'?"

Heavenly introduction? Maybe I'm just not a good guesser?
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: Lesson Study #2 - "In the BEGINNING . . ." - 10/15/06 10:59 AM

Introducing himself to whom?

Re: Lesson Study #2 - "In the BEGINNING . . ." - 10/15/06 04:26 PM

Obviously when God said, "Let there be light: and there was light," it is obvious there wasn't any light there prior to Him saying that, therefore, how can we say that it was the light of His own presence? God obviously created some type of light on the first day before creating the sun and the moon, and also even the "visible" stars on the fourth day.

Here is an interesting question about this first day light and fourth day light from the Teachers Quarterly in respect to the 24 hour period of each day:

Quote:
How would you answer someone who points out that the 24-hour day presupposes, or requires, the existence of the sun and moon, both of which do not appear until the fourth day?

What is the answer to this question?

Re: Lesson Study #2 - "In the BEGINNING . . ." - 10/20/06 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
We had an interesting question regarding "be fruitful and multiply."

Does it say anywhere somewhere that humans are the only beings that God created that could procreate?

In answer to this question, which I also asked elsewhere, I received the following EGW quote:

Quote:

All heaven took a deep and joyful interest in the creation of the world and of man. Human beings were a new and distinct order. They were made "in the image of God," and it was the Creator's design that they should populate the earth. They were to live in close communion with heaven, receiving power from the Source of all power. Upheld by God, they were to live sinless lives.

-- Review & Herald, February 11, 1902

Would procreation be a part of that new and distinct order?
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church