Lesson Study #3 - The Early EARTH

Posted By: Daryl

Lesson Study #3 - The Early EARTH - 10/15/06 04:36 PM

Here is the direct link to this week's study:

http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/06d/less03.html

Re: Lesson Study #3 - The Early EARTH - 10/15/06 08:54 PM

Sunday's study is about the seventh day itself.

God began creating this world on the first day and finished creating it on the sixth day. God did His work of creation in a systematic order according to His set timetable.

Quote:
Gen. 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

The lesson study for Sunday says:

Quote:
Although the noun sabbath is not mentioned in Genesis 2, the verb for "rested," from which the term sabbath is derived, proves that the Sabbath is meant (see Exod. 20:8-11). Just as six literal days came before it, the Sabbath is a literal day, as well.

Could this be why Christ said that the Sabbath was made for man, rather than the Jews only, and not man, or the Jews, for the Sabbath?
Posted By: Will

Re: Lesson Study #3 - The Early EARTH - 10/16/06 01:21 AM

That's abcolutely correct Daryl.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Lesson Study #3 - The Early EARTH - 10/17/06 11:45 PM

Monday's study is titled, Nephesh Hayyah.

From Monday's Study:

Quote:

Back in Genesis, it wasn't until the fifth day that God created "living creatures," from the Hebrew nephesh hayyah. Hayyah here means "life," and nephesh means "creature." Interestingly enough, that same phrase appears in 2:7.

Most people are surprised to learn that the phrase often translated "living soul" (Gen. 2:7) in the creation of humanity is the same one used to describe fish and birds and other creeping things.

Re: Lesson Study #3 - The Early EARTH - 10/18/06 09:13 PM

What popular misconceptions are attached to the word soul?

Re: Lesson Study #3 - The Early EARTH - 10/21/06 03:22 AM

Seeing that nobody is responding to my question, I am moving on to Monday's study.

Eden is referred in Monday's study as The Garden Home.

What type of work did Adam and Eve do in their garden home?

Re: Lesson Study #3 - The Early EARTH - 10/21/06 03:24 AM

From Tuesday's study comes the following question:

What was God's purpose in giving woman to man?
Posted By: asygo

Re: Lesson Study #3 - The Early EARTH - 10/21/06 08:24 AM

It's too bad that not many are using this SS resource. I'm going to start using it more. Since I have recently become a SS "teacher" (after an 8-year break), I think it will do me good to sharpen my sword here.

Anyway, I like the SOP insight that in God's perfect creation, man had work to do. It was invigorating and healthful. Man was not to spend eternity lounging around.

After sin, work was even more important. It is to keep us from temptations and to teach us valuable lessons.

In my experience, gardening work teaches many theoretical and practical truths that help in my Christian walk. I believe Adam had to learn those as well.
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: Lesson Study #3 - The Early EARTH - 10/22/06 02:04 AM

I think generally, the SS lesson is quite unhelpfull. Those times when I am in lead of a SS class, I sometimes introduce another subject and provided that it works out, there might be no time left for the paper study.
Posted By: asygo

Re: Lesson Study #3 - The Early EARTH - 10/22/06 04:41 AM

I wouldn't say that the lessons are unhelpful. But neither do I depend on them to learn what I need to learn. I use it more as a guide for what the topic is, but not necessarily to teach me about the topic. Basically, I treat it as the baseline of what everyone in the class has read, then dig deeper into the more interesting points that it touches upon. We may or may not progress very far into the "official" topic, but we're in the general vicinity. For example, we got to Sunday's lesson today before running out of time.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church