Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE

Posted By: Daryl

Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/06/07 12:37 AM

It's time to begin another week's study, this time Lesson Study #6 under the title, The Bible and Science, the material of which can be accessed here:

http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/07b/less06.html

Let the discussion begin.

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/06/07 12:45 AM

From the Sabbath afternoon section:

Memory Text:
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline" (Proverbs 1:7, NIV).

Key Thought: Though often viewed as in opposition to the Bible, science can help strengthen our faith in the Word of God.

The following quote shows that in the earliest years of the scientific revolution (the seventeenth century), science was viewed as a way to understand God:

Quote:

In the earliest years of the scientific revolution (the seventeenth century), science was viewed as a way to understand God. All the early giants (Descartes, Kepler, Galileo, Copernicus, Newton) believed their work was revealing the handiwork of the Creator. Kepler, talking about his achievements, wrote: "I am stealing the golden vessels of the Egyptians to build a tabernacle to my God from them. . . . I cast the die, and I write the book. Whether it is to be read by the people of the present or of the future makes no difference: let it await its reader for a hundred years, if God himself has stood ready for six thousand years for one to study him." Over time, however, science started moving away from the idea of God, choosing instead to work in a purely materialistic, atheistic paradigm. This, of course, led to the struggle between faith and science that we often hear about today.

Though we certainly acknowledge the challenges that science can present, this week we'll focus on places where science has, indeed, given us reasons for our trust in the Bible.

It goes to show how far scientists have fallen, though I am happy to say that we still have Christian scientists who have discovered things that proves the trustworthiness of the Bible.

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/06/07 09:28 PM

I was happy to read the interesting information in Sunday's section:

Quote:

For many years, much of science worked on the presupposition that all existence, including human life, was the result of pure chance. We are just a big accident, nothing more.

Now, though, science seems to be moving in another direction. In fact, a new phrase has been coined: "anthropic coincidences," from the Greek word anthropos, meaning "man." Science reveals that many factors in the universe are so finely tuned that even the slightest variation would create an environment unfit for human existence. It's almost as though the universe was created with the existence of humanity in mind!

What are some of these "anthropic coincidences"?

For starters, if the rate of expansion after the creation of the universe had been smaller by one part in a hundred million, the universe would have collapsed in on itself. On the other hand, had it been greater by one part in a hundred million, the universe would have expanded too rapidly for stars or planets to form.

Also, one of the known basic forces in nature is called the strong nuclear force. Had it been slightly weaker, there would have been only hydrogen in the universe; had it been slightly stronger, there would have been only helium. In either environment, humanity as we know it could never have been formed.

There are many other examples, enough to get even someone like the famed Stephen Hawking (hardly a biblical creationist) to admit: "The odds against a universe like ours emerging out of something like the Big Bang are enormous. . . . I think there are clearly religious implications."
—Quoted in Ian Barbour, When Science Meets Religion (New York: Harper Collins, 2000), p. 58.

If this is what science is now saying, then I can't see how anybody can still call themselves an aetheist.

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/07/07 03:57 PM

Today I read Monday's section on astronomy.

Quote:

It is estimated that there are hundreds of billions of stars in our galaxy alone. Astronomers have estimated that there are about 1022 (that is, 10 thousand billion billion) stars in the universe. If one could count even as many as 10 different numbers per second, it would take at least 100 million billion years to count up to 1022.

Can you imagine all that happening by accident? I can't, as it is obvious that it couldn't and didn't happen by accident to the degree that there is even life on this planet that is warmed just right by our closest star, our sun.
Posted By: crater

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/08/07 08:58 AM

It was recently explained to my by someone who isn't a creationist, that if I understood what they were saying was that basically every thing is made from hydrogen.

I am not that versed in science to know if this is so.

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/08/07 05:03 PM

I am giving credit to the basic content of this post to a person who refers to himself/herself as vilis from the Adventism Prophecy Email List Group.

The following article confirms a young solar system, of an age of thousands, and not billions of years.

Just like the recent discovery of a lack of radioactive heating source in the earth's core revealed a young earth, the same is confirmed of the tiny planet Mercury, which should have cooled much sooner than even earth, which should be cold to the core.

The recent photos of volcanic eruptions on one of Jupiter's or Saturn's moons was yet another nail in the coffin of this theory of an evolutionary "development" of our solar system.

All this evidence proves a recent creation of our solar system.

-----beginning of article

Mercury's spin reveals molten core
POSTED: 1457 GMT (2257 HKT), May 7, 2007
Story Highlights

• Scientists: Mercury's core may be partially molten like Earth's
• It had long been thought Mercury's core was made of solid iron
• Planet wobbles too much to have a solid core
• Mercury is the innermost planet in our solar system

Using radar and telescopes, Margot's team measured the spin rate of Mercury and discovered that it wobbles too much to have a solid core.

"That is a surprise in the sense that Mercury is so small that most researchers had expected it to have cooled off and solidified by now. The molten core indicates otherwise," Margot said in a telephone interview.

-----end of article-----

I will see if I can find out more about this via the Internet.

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/08/07 05:30 PM

Psalm 139:14 I will praise You; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are marvelous and my soul knows it very well.

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made is the title of Tuesday's section.

Quote:

Though possibly a bit overstated, the following quote tells us something about the complexity of the human brain. "There are trillions of neurons in a human brain; the number of possible ways of connecting them is greater than the number of atoms in the universe."—Ian Barbour, When Science Meets Religion (New York: Harper Collins, 2000), p. 62.

When I read stuff like this, it takes more faith to believe in the Big Bang Theory than it does in a literal creation by our Creator God.

I also found the following quote from Tuesday's section interesting:
 Quote:

.....recently one vocal opponent of intelligent design (and the implications of a Creator behind it) argued that the universe is a thing that simply appears to be designed even though, of course, it isn't. In other words, it just looks that way.

Again, it takes more faith to believe in a mere chance creation of human life, etc. than it does in the existence of a Greater Power, namely Jehovah God, who created human life, etc.

But, then again, there are people like Francis Crick who do not want to admit that we have been created.
 Quote:

Meanwhile Francis Crick, probably the most famous biologist of the twentieth century and a vehement atheist, concluded that life was too complicated to have arisen in the supposed billions of years between the cooling off of the earth and the rapid emergence of life forms. Crick speculated, therefore, that life must have started somewhere else and was then brought here, perhaps by space aliens who wanted to see the earth (see again 1 Cor. 3:19 and Ps. 14:1

Then there's the quote involving Charles Darwin and Michael Behe:
 Quote:

Another exciting development came from the work of biochemist Michael Behe. Charles Darwin partially based his theory of evolution on the idea that changes came over time to species through a series of small, successive modifications. If, Darwin said, any complex organ could be shown not to have gone through these steps, his theory would break down.

Behe, not a biblical creationist, showed various aspects of the human body—the cilia, the eye, and blood clotting—that could not have arisen according to the basic evolutionary schema. According to Behe, they couldn't have arisen over time because, in order for the organ to function at all, all the pieces already had to be in place at once. If one part, or even one step, wasn't there from the beginning, the organ or process could not exist at all. His evidence presents a strong challenge to the evolutionary model of creation. The question, therefore, remains: If these things didn't come by chance, through the evolutionary processes, then how did they arise (John 1:1-4, Acts 17:28)?

With the technology and discoveries of today, I wonder what Charles Darwin would say now, if he were alive today?
Posted By: asygo

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/09/07 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
 Quote:
In the earliest years of the scientific revolution (the seventeenth century), science was viewed as a way to understand God.

It goes to show how far scientists have fallen...

Many of the great scientists believed in God. Whether they were godly or not is quite another story. But they were not atheists.

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/09/07 01:16 AM

I was happy to read the interesting information in Sunday's section:

Quote:
What are some of these "anthropic coincidences"?

If this is what science is now saying, then I can't see how anybody can still call themselves an aetheist.

Actually, anthropic coincidences are not nearly enough to convince the atheist. The logical response is: If one of these coincidences did not exist, then we would not be around to marvel at the coincidence; but it so happened that it did, and we are.

But for the true scientist, coincidence is not a good answer. The challenge now is to explain why these things are the way they are. Various theories abound, but the hardened atheist will always exclude supernatural explanations.

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/09/07 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: crater
It was recently explained to my by someone who isn't a creationist, that if I understood what they were saying was that basically every thing is made from hydrogen.

Stars use hydrogen as fuel, and the products of these stellar processes are heavier elements (helium, oxygen, iron...). The theory is that the earliest stars produced these heavy elements, spread them out through nova and supernova explosions, and they eventually coalesced into planets revolving around a new star. So, the carbon in our cells, and the oxygen we breath originated in stars long dead. That's the theory anyway.

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/09/07 01:23 AM

What do you guys think about the theory that God made stars long before the 4th day? That the account in Genesis is earth-centric, and does not really have much to say about what God had created before that? Is it possible that the earth is ~6000 years old, while other parts of the universe are ~15 billion years old, as modern astronomy asserts?

What are the theological implications of this line of thought?

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/09/07 03:11 AM

One thing for certain in the realm of creation is that God didn't create everything, angels, stars, planets, etc. all at once, therefore, it would make sense that He may have created angels, stars, and other inhabited planets much earlier than He created this planet upon which we presently live.
Posted By: Johann

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/09/07 02:12 PM

It is quite evident that the angels were there before the creation of our earth, because Lucifer was jealous because he was not called by God to take part.

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/09/07 02:23 PM

From the Sabbath afternoon section:

Memory Text:
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline" (Proverbs 1:7, NIV).

And Psalm 14:1 tells us it is a fool who does not believe there is a God.

Is that fool stupid or does he lack wisdom?

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/09/07 05:42 PM

Is there such a thing as a smart fool? \:\)

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/09/07 09:23 PM

Is there such a thing as a smart fool? \:\)

How do I avoid being one?

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/09/07 09:27 PM

On what grounds did the Darwinians win the "Intelligent Design" court case in Pennsylvania a couple of years ago?

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/09/07 09:32 PM

Who is a scientist?

Science and math were some of my best subjects in my early teens. When I saw what one of my sons was learning in math and science as he studied for engineering, I discovered I was but a dwarf in my knowledge.

How do I dare teach a lesson on Creation and Science?

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/10/07 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Johann
On what grounds did the Darwinians win the "Intelligent Design" court case in Pennsylvania a couple of years ago?

I would be interested in hearing more about this.

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/11/07 05:58 AM

Here you find an answer:

Quote:
Not too long ago I was reading the transcript of the "Intelligent Design" ("ID")trial which took place in federal court in Pennsylvania about a year and a half ago. Intelligent design is a scientific theory that our creation came about as the result of an intelligence, rather than Darwin's theory of change through chance. What struck me while reading the cross-examination (and the statements of the judge) was that the defense of Darwinism was not based so much on proving it was true or logical, but rather based on whether the leading scientific minds, scientific associations and journals accepted Darwinism as true. There is some sense to this approach because judges are not experts in science. The scientific community embraces Darwinism and (largely) rejects ID. Thus, Darwinism won. The readers of these lessons know I'm a lawyer and a logician not a scientist. Instead of scientific journals, what does your common sense, your life experience, and your logic say about the existence of God and the truth of His word?

Copr. 2007, Bruce N. Cameron, J.D. This lesson can be found at:

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/11/07 04:07 PM

I also receive Bruce Cameron's weekly Sabbath School material, however, I haven't been reading and using it lately. I guess I had better pay more attention to it. \:\)

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/11/07 05:14 PM

Thursday's section is on Science and the Flood.

If you read Genesis 7:11-24 (which I will not quote here) you will discover that not only water came down from above, but that it also came up out of the earth itself. If you compare this to the fire that will consume the wicked and cleanse the earth for recreation, you will also notice that fire also came down from above (Revelation 20:9) and came up out of the earth (GC 1888 Edition, page 672, paragraph 2).

Quote:

Rev. 20:9 And they went up over the breadth of the earth and circled around the camp of the saints, and the beloved city. And fire came down from God out of Heaven and devoured them.

Fire comes down from God out of Heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. [MAL. 4:1; 2 PET. 3:10.] The earth's surface seems one molten mass,--a vast, seething lake of fire. It is the time of the judgment and perdition of ungodly men,--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." [ISA. 34:8; PROV. 11:31.] {GC 1888 672.2}

As water was literal water, so fire must have also been literal fire, but that's another issue that is being discussed in another topic.

What were the scientific implications of this great flood?

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/11/07 11:49 PM

Experiencing my first volcanic eruption of Mt. Hekla in Iceland starting March 29, 1947, was a great awakening to me of the power of nature, the power of creation, and the power of God. If such things were possible in nature today, why not a flood, and the final events?

As a teenager I walked on the hard surface of liquid stone below, flowing down the mountainside. I see that majestic mountain today from our home, and I am reminded daily of the mighty divine power.

Also in the stars and in the Northern Light, as well as in the growth and beauty of spring and the buds on the trees.

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/12/07 12:58 AM

Experiencing my first volcanic eruption of Mt. Hekla in Iceland starting March 29, 1947, was a great awakening to me of the power of nature, the power of creation, and the power of God. If such things were possible in nature today, why not a flood, and the final events?

As a teenager I walked on the hard surface of liquid stone below, flowing down the mountainside. I see that majestic mountain today from our home, and I am reminded daily of the mighty divine power.

Also in the stars and in the Northern Light, as well as in the growth and beauty of spring and the buds on the trees.

Johann, were you away from Iceland when the Island of Surtsey was being formed in November 8, 1963 through June 5, 1967? Have you had the opportunity to visit the island?

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/12/07 01:13 AM

This site has pictures of the eruption, plants, birds, and even fossils of the Surtsey Island. Check it out.

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/12/07 09:53 AM

Who is a scientist?

To me, a scientist is one who uses the scientific method. That includes those who believe in God. But, there are also biologists, chemists, and physicists who don't use the scientific method when coming to conclusions about how life came about and developed. IMO, they are not true scientists. Their beliefs are based on faith.

I came across this a couple of days ago. I find it very enlightening.

Quote:
He who has a knowledge of God and His word through personal experience has a settled faith in the divinity of the Holy Scriptures. He has proved that God's word is truth, and he knows that truth can never contradict itself. He does not test the Bible by men's ideas of science; he brings these ideas to the test of the unerring standard. He knows that in true science there can be nothing contrary to the teaching of the word; since both have the same Author, a correct understanding of both will prove them to be in harmony. Whatever in so-called scientific teaching contradicts the testimony of God's word is mere human guesswork. {MH 462.1}

I believe that personal experience in the things of God is the only way to really settle the veracity of the Bible.

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/13/07 03:00 AM

That's a good quote that covers both a true scientist and a true Christian.

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/13/07 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: crater

Johann, were you away from Iceland when the Island of Surtsey was being formed in November 8, 1963 through June 5, 1967? Have you had the opportunity to visit the island?

Yes, I visited Iceland a few times during that period. On one occasion the pilot of the passenger plane I was on flew a circle around the new island to give us an added view of the volcanic activity. At one time I preached on the Westmann Islands then, and after church a youg man drove me and my wife to a point there from where we could get a good view of the volcano.

I read your post late Friday evening, and Sabbath morning - yesterday - the same man and his wife were visiting our local church, and I mentioned your post during the lesson study. Then he remarked that scientist had claimed that palgonite develops through millions of years, but there on Surtsey it developed within a few weeks.

Our Conference office called me a few days ago and asked me if I could preach on the Westmann islands on June 2. This is where my wife came from, so we will see her childhood home, and our ferry will take us right past Surtsey.

Another volcanic eruption destroyed much of her home town back in 1973, but she was not there then. The lava flow stopped a few meters from their house.

Wasn't it around 1980 tha Mt. St. Helens was in eruption? We saw that from the air too, as we flew from Seattle to Portland where my brother-in-law lived then.

So the earth is in motion. . .

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/13/07 05:15 PM

Somebody told us in Sabbath School in a church where we were visiting yesterday that the earth is expanding at the rate of 1 cm. each year.

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/14/07 06:35 PM

Johann, thanks for sharing your experience with Surtsey Island. The formation of the island, then the coming of plant life and birds to the island over the past 40 plus years is pretty amazing. Seems like scientist would need to rethink some of their theories.

Yes, Mt. St. Helens erupted in 1980. My cousin was the coordinator for the watershed restoration. She had to make about 18 trips to Washington D. C. to obtain funding for it. There is a Mount St. Helens VolcanoCam that shows in five minute updates the mountains current activity.

About 130 km south of Mt. St. Helens, in Oregon is another area of interest, the Three Sisters volcanic center of the central Oregon Cascade Range, part of the Pacific "Ring of Fire". The last eruption was about 1,700 years ago. Between August 1996 and October 2002 the region experienced 3 cm./yr. aseismic uplift, centered 5 km west of South Sister volcano. The area is currently being monitored.

Cascade Volcano Locations and 4,000 year Eruption Summary
Posted By: msmango

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/18/07 06:52 PM

Speaking of the veracity of scripture based on one's personal experience with God... I was thinking of a certain well known singer/actor who is of the Morman faith who had a vision while in the temple. This experience locked in his belief in the writings of Joseph Smith. I'm currently investigating scriptures that indeed do counterdict one another in the 4 gospels accounts of Christ's resurrection, but I am of the growing opinion that scripture is often deeper in symbolism making literal details perhaps less of an issue.

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/18/07 07:14 PM

to Maritime SDA OnLine! \:\)

First of all, and, as you already probably know, we need to test all visions to the Bible and not to the writings of Joseph Smith, or even to the writings of Ellen White.

If the writings of Joseph Smith contradict the Scriptures, then we are to distance ourselves from those writings. The same holds true to the writings of Ellen White.

As far as comparing Scripture with Scripture goes, as long as the details do not contradict one another, then there shouldn't be any problem. I will check out the four gospels in relation to your post and respond to that specifically in a separate post.

I hope others reading this will also do this and also respond here.

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/18/07 07:44 PM

msmango,

To make it easier for any of us to respond, just how do the four gospels seem to contradict each other in relation to the resurrection of Christ?

Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE - 05/19/07 09:43 AM

Originally Posted By: msmango
Speaking of the veracity of scripture based on one's personal experience with God... I was thinking of a certain well known singer/actor who is of the Morman faith who had a vision while in the temple. This experience locked in his belief in the writings of Joseph Smith. I'm currently investigating scriptures that indeed do counterdict one another in the 4 gospels accounts of Christ's resurrection, but I am of the growing opinion that scripture is often deeper in symbolism making literal details perhaps less of an issue.
Welcome msmango, I have a relation that had what he interpreted as a supernatural intervention and a sign that the LDS teachings were true. Apparently when he had started to eat his plate moved. My mother told him the if there was some water under the plate it could have move. He didn't eat that meal as he considered the meat to have gone bad. That is his "moment in time, his proof. I understated that LDS rely on feelings.

I was once told by a person who was into the metaphysical that LDS were the kindergarden of the metaphysical

"Metaphysics" as used more loosely to refer to "subjects that are beyond the physical world"
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church