Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE

Posted By: Daryl

Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/04/07 02:36 AM

Here is the lesson study material link for this week's study:

http://ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/07d/less10nkjv.html

Let the discussion begin here, which will also help us, as we prepare for this Sabbath's lesson study discussion.
Posted By: Johann

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/04/07 08:38 AM

We read, "Blessed are the meek. . ."

When I was a child I thought this meant, Blessed are the shy ora timid.

Who are the meek? The shy people?

A very good friend of mine was so shy that he had trouble taking his daughter to the altar at her wedding. Did this show his meekness?
Posted By: asygo

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/06/07 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Johann
Who are the meek? The shy people?

I don't think meek and shy are the same thing. In fact, they might be mutually exclusive.

Quote:
Meekness is a fruit of the Spirit, and an evidence that we are branches of the living God. The abiding presence of meekness is an unmistakable evidence that we are branches of the True Vine, and are bearing much fruit. It is an evidence that we are by faith beholding the King in his beauty and becoming changed into his likeness. Where meekness exists, the natural tendencies are under the control of the Holy Spirit. Meekness is not a species of cowardice. It is the spirit which Christ manifested when suffering injury, when enduring insult and abuse. To be meek is not to surrender our rights; but it is the preservation of self-control under provocation to give way to anger or to the spirit of retaliation. Meekness will not allow passion to take the lines. {ST, August 22, 1895 par. 3}

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/06/07 02:40 AM

Will this kind of meekness automatically make you prosper, be happy, successful in life?
Posted By: Tom

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/06/07 09:21 PM

Quote:
Will this kind of meekness automatically make you prosper, be happy, successful in life?

The meekness is a fruit of the Spirit, and evidence that one is branch of the True Vine, which will result in good things. Being connected to the True Vine is the key thing, which results in many good things, just one of which is meekness.

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/07/07 02:24 AM

Absolutely! But not necessarily to human eyes.

Just look at some of the most prosperous, happy, successful people in history: Enoch, Elijah, Moses, John the Baptist, Paul, and Jesus Himself. But they would probably be considered failures by most people.

Moses could have been the king of the most powerful nation on the planet, but chose to be a shepherd instead. That is true success. His meekness kept him from following his natural inclinations.

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/07/07 01:19 PM

Does this guarantee that you follow the admonition of Paul to be always happy?

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/07/07 10:47 PM

I don't know that Paul told us to always be happy. But he did tell us to always rejoice. And when we keep in mind all the good things that stem from suffering, why wouldn't we rejoice?

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/08/07 03:48 AM

Wasn't it also Paul who said in 1 Thess. 5:18, "In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."?

Wasn't this also the same Paul who was found singing in prison? Read Acts 16:23-25.
Posted By: crater

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/08/07 10:02 AM

I have a small tapestry that someone embroidered, it says:

"If you think that meek is weak,
Try being meek for a week." \:\)

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/08/07 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: asygo
I don't know that Paul told us to always be happy. But he did tell us to always rejoice. And when we keep in mind all the good things that stem from suffering, why wouldn't we rejoice?

How about Jesus? He said "Blessed are the meek" - and blessed means to be exceedingly happy.

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/08/07 02:16 PM

The Teachers Quarterly says the following:

Teach the Class to:
Know:
Meekness, or patience in the face of injury, is necessary for the Christian.
Feel: A willingness to love our enemies in the sense that we can see them through God's eyes.
Do: Allow God to take control of our reaction in instances in which we face injustice or mistreatment.

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/09/07 01:08 AM

Someone said in class,

- I can't pray for my enemies because I don't have any.

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/09/07 05:13 PM

As even Christ had enemies, that person must be a very interesting someone!

Perhaps it is how we look at things that determines how we respond to those who mistreat us and dispitefully use us?

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/09/07 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
Wasn't it also Paul who said in 1 Thess. 5:18, "In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."?

It is not necessary to be happy to be thankful. Happiness, as an emotion, is fickle and should not be trusted.

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/09/07 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: crater
"If you think that meek is weak,
Try being meek for a week." \:\)

Meekness is most definitely not weakness.

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/09/07 10:19 PM

How about Jesus? He said "Blessed are the meek" - and blessed means to be exceedingly happy.

They are happy in the final outcome, for they shall inherit the earth. But that doesn't mean that they are happy to be persecuted, especially when one realizes that the persecutor is hurt more than the persecuted. How can the meek be happy that someone is hurting themselves, being slaves of sin?

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/09/07 11:26 PM

They are happy in the final outcome, for they shall inherit the earth. But that doesn't mean that they are happy to be persecuted, especially when one realizes that the persecutor is hurt more than the persecuted. How can the meek be happy that someone is hurting themselves, being slaves of sin?

Quote:
Matthew 5:11"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/10/07 12:05 AM

Perhaps it is how we look at things that determines how we respond to those who mistreat us and dispitefully use us?

I brought this up in our SS discussion.

Quote:
To be meek is not to surrender our rights; but it is the preservation of self-control under provocation to give way to anger or to the spirit of retaliation. Meekness will not allow passion to take the lines. {ST, August 22, 1895 par. 3}

When we are provoked and tempted to be angry and retaliate, who is our greatest enemy at that point? Self. Self is trying to be in control again. Essentially, it is trying to enslave us.

So, if we become angry or retaliate, we might repel the persecutor, but we become slaves to sin in the process. Essentially, we give up our right to liberty and put ourselves in bondage.

But "to be meek is not to surrender our rights." And that especially means not to surrender our right to be free from the tyranny of self, sin, and Satan. If that means that people will continue to persecute me because I continue to refuse to be a slave to self, then so be it. I might look like a doormat to human eyes, but I am free in reality.

Quote:
He who can stand unmoved amid a storm of abuse is one of God's heroes. To rule the spirit is to keep self under discipline; to resist evil; to regulate every word and deed by God's great standard of righteousness. He who has learned to rule his spirit will rise above the slights, the rebuffs, the annoyances, to which we are daily exposed, and these will cease to cast a gloom over his spirit. {AG 256.2}

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/10/07 12:09 AM

Matthew 5:11"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Again, the happiness is because of the final outcome - reward in heaven - not because of present evil. It is not rejoicing because of evil, but in spite of evil. I don't think that the truly converted can be happy about the existence of evil.

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/10/07 01:09 AM

Again, the happiness is because of the final outcome - reward in heaven - not because of present evil. It is not rejoicing because of evil, but in spite of evil. I don't think that the truly converted can be happy about the existence of evil.

There is a whole chapter on this in the book Steps To Christ We are not to look at the thorns but enjoy the roses. And this applies to this life.

I just had a talk with the author of these Sabbath School lessons, who told me he thought this was the most important lesson this quarter. He has discovered that meekness is measured by our reaction to those who persecute or ridicule us. We have not learned the secret of Christian faith if we do not learn how to turn such ridicule or persecution into a blessing.

Blessing means joy, and I believe it is real joy now, at this moment, if Christ has entered into our being and consciousness.

A future reward brings joy now.

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/10/07 02:21 AM

Consider what you just claimed, and answer this: Did Jesus' experience in Gethsemane match what you have in mind?

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/10/07 02:36 AM

Consider what you just claimed, and answer this: Did Jesus' experience in Gethsemane match what you have in mind?

He was encouraged by angels who came to him. They gave him the joy and courage he needed to meet his enemies, or he would not have endured until he was crucified. How else could he pray for the soldiers?

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/10/07 02:39 AM

Another question: Is his Gethsemane experience to be our daily experience? Do our enemies revile us worse than those Christ met?

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/12/07 12:21 PM

I just noticed this interesting title of a book published by the Pacific Press:

Escape from the Flames: How Ellen White grew from fear to joy.

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/12/07 01:47 PM

He was encouraged by angels who came to him. They gave him the joy and courage he needed to meet his enemies, or he would not have endured until he was crucified. How else could he pray for the soldiers?

By your response, it seems that you're saying that Jesus was happy IN SPITE of the evil that was happening. I agree with that.

I thought you were saying that we should be happy BECAUSE of the evil that was happening.

Certainly, Jesus was encouraged and strengthened to pray for the soldiers. But I doubt that He was happy about the soldiers' need to be prayed for. He would have been happy if everybody always reflected His character.

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/13/07 05:05 AM

Blessing means joy, and I believe it is real joy now, at this moment, if Christ has entered into our being and consciousness.

Let's not confuse future facts with present feelings. Though one can and should be happy because of future bliss, that does not necessarily mean that one should be happy about present problems.

Quote:
Matthew 5:6 - Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.

Does that mean that we should be happy that we currently hunger and thirst for righteousness? No. It means that we should be happy that in spite of our current lack, we shall be filled.

We should be innocent enough to enjoy the rose, but wise enough to see the thorn.

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/13/07 01:28 PM

Let's not confuse future facts with present feelings. Though one can and should be happy because of future bliss, that does not necessarily mean that one should be happy about present problems.
Since when have we been instructed to let our present feelings rule our lives?

Quote:
Matthew 5:6 - Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.

Quote:
Does that mean that we should be happy that we currently hunger and thirst for righteousness? No. It means that we should be happy that in spite of our current lack, we shall be filled.

We should be innocent enough to enjoy the rose, but wise enough to see the thorn.
How much innocence does it take to be able to enjoy the rose?

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/13/07 07:56 PM

Since when have we been instructed to let our present feelings rule our lives?

We are told the opposite - to never let feelings rule. That's why the "be happy or you're not Christlike" message is not true. Being happy about evil circumstances in the present is not a reliable gauge of Christianity. Christians are Christians, regardless of feelings.

Quote:

Quote:

How much innocence does it take to be able to enjoy the rose?

Approximately the same amount a dove has.

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/13/07 08:21 PM

Is happiness a feeling or a principle?

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/13/07 08:43 PM

Happiness is generally considered a feeling. OTOH, joy is the one that leans more toward being a principle, and it is the one listed as a fruit of the Spirit.

So, as the Christian is being sawed in half, while his joy may be full, he's probably not going to be very happy about it at the time. Joy amid sorrow is our lot in this world.

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/14/07 03:31 AM

What do these quotes tell you?

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (King James Version)
16Rejoice evermore.
17Pray without ceasing.
18In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

16Be joyful always; 17pray continually; 18give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. (NIV)

16Be happy [in your faith] and rejoice and be glad-hearted continually (always);
17Be unceasing in prayer [praying perseveringly];
18Thank [God] in everything [no matter what the circumstances may be, be thankful and give thanks], for this is the will of God for you [who are] in Christ Jesus [the Revealer and Mediator of that will]. (AMP)

Your only safety and happiness are in making Christ your constant counselor. You can be happy in Him if you had not another friend in the wide world. Your feelings of unrest and homesickness or loneliness may be for your good. Your heavenly Father means to teach you to find in Him the friendship and love and consolation that will satisfy your most earnest hopes and desires. . . . {OHC 64.2}

I have seen that those who live for a purpose, seeking to benefit and bless their fellow men and to honor and glorify their Redeemer, are the truly happy ones on the earth, while the man who is restless, discontented, and seeking this and testing that, hoping to find happiness, is always complaining of disappointment. He is always in want, never satisfied, because he lives for himself alone. Let it be your aim to do good, to act your part in life faithfully. {OHC 64.4}

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/14/07 04:32 AM

They tell me that one can and must rejoice, pray, and give thanks in spite of circumstances. Nothing new at all.

Quote:
He is despised and rejected by men, A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him. (Isaiah 53:3)

It was to redeem us that Jesus lived and suffered and died. He became "a Man of Sorrows," that we might be made partakers of everlasting joy. God permitted His beloved Son, full of grace and truth, to come from a world of indescribable glory, to a world marred and blighted with sin, darkened with the shadow of death and the curse. He permitted Him to leave the bosom of His love, the adoration of the angels, to suffer shame, insult, humiliation, hatred, and death. "The chastisement of our peace was upon Him; and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5. Behold Him in the wilderness, in Gethsemane, upon the cross! The spotless Son of God took upon Himself the burden of sin. He who had been one with God, felt in His soul the awful separation that sin makes between God and man. This wrung from His lips the anguished cry, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?" Matthew 27:46. It was the burden of sin, the sense of its terrible enormity, of its separation of the soul from God--it was this that broke the heart of the Son of God. {SC 13.1}

They forget the Man of Sorrows, who was acquainted with grief. The sufferings of Jesus in Gethsemane, His sweating as it were great drops of blood in the garden, the platted crown of thorns that pierced His holy brow, do not move them. They have become benumbed. Their sensibilities are blunted, and they have lost all sense of the great sacrifice made for them. They can sit and listen to the story of the cross, hear how the cruel nails were driven through the hands and feet of the Son of God, and it does not stir the depths of the soul. {1T 155.1}

One more quickie:
 Quote:
Christ's agony did not cease, but His depression and discouragement left Him. {DA 694.1}

His depression left Him. You know what that means, don't you?

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/14/07 07:20 PM

The Thursday section in Lesson 11 shows us how to be happy, does't it, or is the lesson incomplete?
Posted By: crater

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/14/07 07:37 PM

One more quickie:
 Quote:
Christ's agony did not cease, but His depression and discouragement left Him. {DA 694.1}

His depression left Him. You know what that means, don't you?

What does that mean?

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/15/07 02:24 AM

Doesn't it mean, that before His depression left Him, He was depressed?

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/15/07 04:21 AM

The Thursday section in Lesson 11 shows us how to be happy, does't it, or is the lesson incomplete?

It shows us how to be happy IN SPITE of circumstances, not BECAUSE of them. (Deja vu all over again...)

The lesson seems complete. But it sounds like you want it to say something that it's not saying.

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/15/07 04:28 AM

Doesn't it mean, that before His depression left Him, He was depressed?

It certainly means that. The quote also said that He was discouraged.

While Jesus was depressed and discouraged, does that mean that He did not have faith, or that He was not meek, or that He was not blessed? How about when He cried, "My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?" Can we say that the Man of Sorrows was happy all the time?

In the name of making ourselves feel better, we risk losing sight of the anguish and pain our Savior suffered for our redemption.

Re: Lesson Study # 10 - Meekness in the CRUCIBLE - 12/15/07 10:51 AM

It shows us how to be happy IN SPITE of circumstances, not BECAUSE of them. (Deja vu all over again...)

The lesson seems complete. But it sounds like you want it to say something that it's not saying.

Exactly. Just like you seem to insist that I am saying something that I am not saying. But we do not have to keep on misunderstanding. Thanks, Arnold.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church