Lesson #4 - Trumpet, Blood, Cloud, and FIRE

Posted By: Daryl

Lesson #4 - Trumpet, Blood, Cloud, and FIRE - 10/19/09 02:06 AM

Here is the link to the fourth lesson study and discussion material of the 4th and final quarter for 2009:

http://ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/09d/less04.html
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Lesson #4 - Trumpet, Blood, Cloud, and FIRE - 10/22/09 04:43 PM

In the lesson for Tuesday we find this statement:

"Moses didn't consult God before he tried to persuade Hobab to accompany Israel."

I think this statement is strange, and it doesn't seem to be exactly in harmony with what Ellen White says.

When he commanded that a war of extermination be waged against Amalek, he also directed that the Kenites, who dwell among them, should be spared, because they had shown mercy to Israel in their distress. Jethro, the father-in-law of Moses, and a prince among the Kenites, had joined Israel soon after the latter came out of Egypt. His presence and counsel at that time was of great value to the Hebrews. Moses afterward urged Hobab, the son of Jethro, to accompany them in their journeyings through the wilderness, saying: "We are journeying unto the place of which the Lord said, I will give it you. Come thou with us, and we will do thee good; for the Lord hath spoken good concerning Israel." {ST, August 24, 1882 par. 18}

Hobab declined, choosing to live in his own country and among his own people. But Moses knew that his brother-in-law was well acquainted with the country through which they were to pass, and that he could greatly assist them in their journey. He therefore earnestly entreated: "Leave us not, I pray thee; forasmuch as thou knowest how we are to encamp in the wilderness, and thou mayest be to us instead of eyes. And it shall be, if thou go with us, yea, it shall be, that what goodness the Lord shall do unto us, the same will we do unto thee." Hobab consented to this; but the journeyings of Israel over, he and his followers forsook the neighborhood of the towns, and betook themselves to freer air, to the wilderness of Judah, on the southern border of Canaan. {ST, August 24, 1882 par. 19}

The promise of special protection and friendship given by Moses to the Kenites, was made by the direction of the Lord. Hence when Saul was commanded to destroy the Amalekites, special directions were given that the Kenites should be spared. Jethro and his family had been devoted worshipers of the true God; but though the Kenites were still friendly to Israel, and acknowledged the living God as the ruler of the earth, their religion had become corrupted with idolatry. After this time they degenerated more and more into heathenism, and their influence became a snare to the Hebrews. Hence they were finally visited with divine judgments. {ST, August 24, 1882 par. 20}

Balaam, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, foretold the destruction of both the Kenites and the Amalekites: "When he looked on Amalek, he took up his parable and said, Amalek was the first of the nations, but his latter end shall be that he perish forever. And he looked on the Kenites and took up this parable, and said, Strong is thy dwelling-place, and thou puttest they rest in a rock. Nevertheless, the Kenites shall be wasted, until Asshur shall carry thee away captive. And he took up his parable, and said, Alas, who shall live when God doeth this!" {ST, August 24, 1882 par. 21}

Also:

But while inflicting judgment, God remembered mercy. The Amalekites were to be destroyed, but the Kenites, who dwelt among them, were spared. This people, though not wholly free from idolatry, were worshipers of God and were friendly to Israel. Of this tribe was the brother-in-law of Moses, Hobab, who had accompanied the Israelites in their travels through the wilderness, and by his knowledge of the country had rendered them valuable assistance. {PP 628.2}

Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Lesson #4 - Trumpet, Blood, Cloud, and FIRE - 10/22/09 05:35 PM

It's not clear God wanted Hobab to act as guide for Israel. He may have wanted to do that Himself. However, I doubt Moses wanted Hobab to guide them because he felt God couldn't or wouldn't.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Lesson #4 - Trumpet, Blood, Cloud, and FIRE - 10/25/09 02:15 AM

Interesting posts in regards to Tuesday's study, which I wish I had read prior to this morning's Adult Sabbath School Class discussion.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church