Re: Lesson #8 - Priests and LEVITES

Posted By: Daryl

Re: Lesson #8 - Priests and LEVITES - 11/15/09 05:00 PM

Here is the link to the lesson study and discussion material for lesson number eight of this fourth and final quarter of 2009:

http://ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/09d/less08.html

Re: Lesson #8 - Priests and LEVITES - 11/21/09 02:34 AM

Seems like nobody is interested in this one, therefore, I am wondering why?
Posted By: asygo

Re: Lesson #8 - Priests and LEVITES - 11/21/09 04:57 AM

Because priests and levites are boring? wink

Seriously, the lesson was pretty straightforward. No controversy here.

But if I were to lead the discussion in SS, I would definitely investigate the division of labor and how it relates to Spiritual gifts and how we run our churches today. In many places I have seen, the division of labor was not done based on talents or gifts, but on personalities or pride. We should be doing much better by now.
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: Lesson #8 - Priests and LEVITES - 11/21/09 08:52 AM

We got into a bit of a discussion in our S.S. about how the Levites' tithes were to be given to Aaron. I had never noticed that. All of the people gave a tenth to the Levites, who then gave a tenth to Aaron. So Aaron received a hundredth from the entire nation.

Our pastors today do not give a tenth to Jan Paulsen.

Any thoughts on this?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Lesson #8 - Priests and LEVITES - 11/21/09 02:36 PM

In what way did Aaron receive a hundredth from the entire nation?

I see it as Aaron receiving a tenth from the Levites, who had received a tenth from the other tribes.

Re: Lesson #8 - Priests and LEVITES - 11/21/09 02:58 PM

Exactly, Daryl. What's a tenth of a tenth? In the case of the Israelites, it's a pretty large amount.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: Rick H

Re: Lesson #8 - Priests and LEVITES - 11/21/09 04:15 PM

Well I had a Jehovah Witness tell me that there was nothing in the New Testament on tithing so it was just for the Jews, how would you answer that?

Re: Lesson #8 - Priests and LEVITES - 11/21/09 05:20 PM

I would answer that he was incorrect. The New Testament does indeed address tithing. Jesus did, Himself.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Lesson #8 - Priests and LEVITES - 11/21/09 06:49 PM

What gifts did God give to spread the gospel to neighboring nations? Did a mandate exist for priests and Levites to go into all the world?
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Lesson #8 - Priests and LEVITES - 11/21/09 07:15 PM

Quote:
We got into a bit of a discussion in our S.S. about how the Levites' tithes were to be given to Aaron. I had never noticed that. All of the people gave a tenth to the Levites, who then gave a tenth to Aaron. So Aaron received a hundredth from the entire nation.

The tithe didn't belong just to Aaron, but to all the priests. I believe he shared it with them.
I think the principle is to give the tithe to those immediately superior to you, until it reaches the church's highest authority. At that time it was Aaron, today it is the GC.
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Lesson #8 - Priests and LEVITES - 11/21/09 07:27 PM

Quote:
Well I had a Jehovah Witness tell me that there was nothing in the New Testament on tithing so it was just for the Jews, how would you answer that?

I would answer that he is incorrect because the tithe precedes and transcends the Jewish nation. Melchizedek received tithes; he wasn't a Jew and lived before the Jewish nation existed. His priesthood preceded the levitical priesthood and was superior to it. And Jesus is a High Priest according to the order of Melchizedek.
Tithe, like the distinction between clean/unclean meats and the prohibition to consume blood were all principles which preceded the old covenant. Thus, they weren't automatically abolished when the old covenant passed away.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church