Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . .

Posted By: Daryl

Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 12/27/09 05:09 PM

Here we are beginning a new quarter in a new year under the title of The Fruit of the Spirit.

Here's the link to this first lesson of the first quarter of 2010:

http://ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/10a/less01.html
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 12/27/09 06:27 PM

Quote:
Those who abide in Jesus always will bear fruit of the Spirit.

Amen. However, I suspect the majority disagree. Seems like more people believe being like Jesus all the time is impossible. In fact, they go to great lengths to prove from the Bible and the SOP that the fruits we bear in Christ are corrupt and stained with sin.

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 12/27/09 06:49 PM

Quote:
Imagine two folk: One is a Seventh-day Adventist who knows and believes all the doctrines-state of the dead, Second Coming, 1844, and so on. This person, however, is mean, harsh, judgmental, and unloving. There's another person who, while professing faith in Christ, has rejected all these teachings, accepting what we would deem as theological error. Yet, this person is kind, forgiving, loving, and nonjudgmental, everything the "orthodox" Adventist isn't. Though, of course, we don't know hearts, if you had to guess which one was closer to the kingdom of God, whom would you choose, and why? What does your answer imply about what you deem is important in Christianity?

Just because certain church members are dysfunctional it doesn't mean nice atheists are godly. Satan works hard to bless certain people to try and prove that being a Christian is not necessary, that it is possible to be kind and loving like Jesus without having to be a Christian. Jesus is the standard of godliness - not dysfunctional church members or nice atheists.
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 12/30/09 01:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Those who abide in Jesus always will bear fruit of the Spirit.

Amen. However, I suspect the majority disagree. Seems like more people believe being like Jesus all the time is impossible. In fact, they go to great lengths to prove from the Bible and the SOP that the fruits we bear in Christ are corrupt and stained with sin.

If the fruit is perfect, you don't have to strive to attain Christ's image - you have already attained it. I suppose you believe this is the case.

"God is purifying unto Himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. He is sitting as a refiner and purifier of silver. When the dross and tin are removed, then His image will be perfectly reflected in us." 2T 317.2

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 12/30/09 04:14 AM

The growth Christians experience while abiding in Jesus is "an advance from one stage of perfection to another" - not, as some people seem to believe, an advance from one stage of imperfection to a lesser stage of imperfection.

Quote:
"The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Through obedience comes sanctification of body, soul, and spirit. This sanctification is a progressive work, and an advance from one stage of perfection to another. {ML 250.4}

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 12/31/09 07:57 PM

What does Paul mean when he says,"Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected"?

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 12/31/09 11:06 PM

He will say the same thing after being in heaven 500 years. The point is - We will never reach a stage where we can no longer become more perfect. The difference between stages is depth and degree of righteousness not depth and degree of sin.

In the quote above, Paul is not saying he continues to sin and repent. Nor did he mean he is still possessed of sinful traits and habits.

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 01/01/10 06:15 PM

Can any of us say that we have displayed good fruit in our lives since becoming a Christian? I can't say that and still can't say that and I assume that no other Christian can say that.

What then does our being unable to say that mean?

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 01/02/10 07:03 PM

Quote:
He will say the same thing after being in heaven 500 years.

I don't believe that at all. The Bible says Adam was created in God's image. He reflected God's image from the moment he was created. But God's image hasn't yet been perfectly restored in me. Big difference.

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 01/02/10 07:07 PM

Quote:
Can any of us say that we have displayed good fruit in our lives since becoming a Christian?

Do you think we can't say that? If we can say Christ has changed our lives, we can say that, can't we?

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 01/02/10 07:45 PM

Rosangela, we might be viewing character perfection from different angles. I don't believe we will ever reach a point in this lifetime or in heaven or in the new earth where we cannot become more perfect. This “work of progression will not cease, but will continue throughout eternity.” (HP 186) Nor do I believe we are guilty of sinning simply because we possess defects, weaknesses, and imperfections. True, we become guilty of sinning if we indulge them instead of keeping them under subjection, but we are not guilty of sinning simply because we possess them.

What do you think Paul meant when he said he had not yet attained unto perfection? Do you think he meant he was guilty of sinning?

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 01/02/10 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Daryl F
Can any of us say that we have displayed good fruit in our lives since becoming a Christian? I can't say that and still can't say that and I assume that no other Christian can say that.

What then does our being unable to say that mean?

Are you saying we cannot or should not feel wonderful about the good fruit we bear while abiding in Jesus? I'm not talking about going around bragging about it. I'm simply asking if it's ever okay to feel warm and fuzzy about it, thankful to Jesus about it?

Consider the following:

Paul began his letter with the salutation: "To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day." {AA 499.2}

I thank God for the assurance of His love, and that I have daily His leading and guidance. {1SM 56.1}

"And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me" (verses 22, 23). Every time I read this statement, it seems almost too good to be true. But I receive it and believe it, and I thank God for His full and abundant promises, given on condition that we meet the standard of the righteousness of Christ. {TDG 120.3}

I thank God for my life. . . . I have a faith that looks over into the future, and sees the tree of life. Upon it grows precious fruits, and the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. No more broken hearts, no more sadness, no more sins, no more sorrow, no more suffering, in that kingdom of glory. {SD 365.5}

I thank God that we must renounce the love of the world, and pride of heart, and everything which tends to idolatry, in order to be followers of the Man of Calvary. Those who obey the truth will never be loved and honored by the world. From the lips of the divine Teacher, as He walked in humility among the children of men, were heard the words: Whosoever will be My disciple, let him take up his cross, and follow Me. Yes, follow our Exemplar. Was He seeking for praise and honor of men? Oh, no! Shall we then seek for honor or praise from worldlings? {2T 491.1}

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 01/02/10 10:23 PM

As I see so much room for improvement, I have a hard time looking back at any improvements that have taken place since becoming a Christian.

I guess what I am trying to say is that our focus should be on being connected with Him and let the fruit bearing take care of itself, rather than looking at what fruit I am bearing, or not bearing, if you know what I mean.

Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
Can any of us say that we have displayed good fruit in our lives since becoming a Christian?

Do you think we can't say that? If we can say Christ has changed our lives, we can say that, can't we?
Posted By: dedication

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 01/03/10 02:52 AM

LUKE 8:11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
18:12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as [his] eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified [rather] than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

I agree Daryl,
"As I see so much room for improvement, I have a hard time looking back at any improvements that have taken place since becoming a Christian."

The texts and quotes in the posts above are about being thankful for what Christ has done, not in what we have produced.
We thank Him for forgiveness
We thank Him for the assurance of His love
We thank Him for His daily leading and guidance
We thank Him for His abundant promises
We thank Him for life both present and the promise of eternal life.
We thank Him for caring enough to set up the standards for true eternal happiness.

In all this the thanks and glory are God's.

Our part is to walk with Him in humble obedience, if we do that He will bring forth the good fruit in our lives.
Posted By: dedication

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 01/03/10 03:02 AM

Of course there is a sense of joy when we are doing right, as contrasted with the sense of guilt when we are doing wrong. But I don't think we should be patting ourselves on the back as if we've achieved it -- rather thank God for using us to help others.

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 01/03/10 03:44 AM

Perhaps my conversion was more radical than yours. The difference before and after was truly miraculous. Jesus said, "Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little."

Ellen White explains the type of conversion I experienced in the following passage:

Quote:
The Lord Jesus is making experiments on human hearts through the exhibition of His mercy and abundant grace. He is effecting transformations so amazing that Satan, with all his triumphant boasting, with all his confederacy of evil united against God and the laws of His government, stands viewing them as a fortress impregnable to his sophistries and delusions. They are to him an incomprehensible mystery. The angels of God, seraphim and cherubim, the powers commissioned to cooperate with human agencies, look on with astonishment and joy, that fallen men, once children of wrath, are through the training of Christ developing characters after the divine similitude, to be sons and daughters of God, to act an important part in the occupations and pleasures of heaven. {FLB 142.3}

There was nothing lackluster about my conversion. The before and after contrast was thrilling. I was thoroughly happy and excited. Still am. I am very thankful for what Jesus has done through me, is doing through me, and will do through me. It blows my mind that people are afraid or ashamed to shout it from the mountain tops, "I am a new creature in Christ. The life I now live, I live by the faith and grace of Jesus."

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 01/03/10 09:09 PM

"The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace..." It's not a question of patting ourselves in the back, but of recognizing that God is working in our lives. How can you witness if you can't speak of the love, the joy, the peace God's Spirit produces in your life?
At the same time we are conscious that there is so much room for improvement.

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 01/03/10 09:27 PM

Quote:
I don't believe we will ever reach a point in this lifetime or in heaven or in the new earth where we cannot become more perfect.

I take exception to the expression "become more perfect." I would say "advance in perfection." What I believe is that, while Adam was actually perfect (he din't need Christ's imputed righteousness) we are perfect only through Christ's imputed righteousness. It's different. We are stil being refined, we are still imperfect. Adam wasn't imperfect.

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 01/04/10 03:32 AM

Are you sure advancing "in" perfection involves sinning less and less until we cease sinning?

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 01/06/10 06:02 PM

Perfection involves sinning less and less as we abide more and more in Christ.

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 01/07/10 07:40 PM

Thank you for answering my question. I must admit, though, that you're understanding of the gospel is totally unappealing to me. In the beginning, when I finally reached a breaking point, when I was sick and tired of being unlovely and impatient with my wife and children, when I cried unto Jesus for help, if you had told me I would be no better off accepting Jesus as my Friend and Savior, I would have said, "Thanks, but no thanks".

But, praise the Lord, Joe Crews of Amazing Facts, made it clear that in Christ I would experience a radical conversion, a miraculous transformation. I expected amazing results and, thank you Jesus, God delivered as promised. While I'm abiding in Jesus I live an abundant, victorious life. I am kind and loving and patient with my wife and children. I absolutely love it. Thank you, Jesus.

Re: Lesson #1 - By Their FRUIT . . . - 02/18/10 03:30 PM

MM,

When did you experience this, and have been abiding in Christ ever since without any breaks in that abiding in Christ relationship?
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church